Pretend Love

Oleh Exitian

Chief Editor Vincent Lee forces Suzy Bae, his executive assistant, to pretend to be his fiancée. How far will... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1: Deal
Chapter 2: Proposal
Chapter 3: Lunchdate
Chapter 5: Reunited
Chapter 6: Kiss
Chapter 6: Lucky
Chapter 7: Annyeong
Chapter 8: Lessons
Chapter 9: Bed
Chapter 10: Morning
Chapter 11: Ride
Chapter 12: Tossing and turning
Chapter 13: The past, present, and future?
Chapter 14: Twisted truth
Chapter 15: Dinner went wrong
Chapter 16: Goodbye
Chapter 17: Revelation
Chapter 18: The Finale
Chapter 19: Epilogue

Chapter 4: Home

643 32 1
Oleh Exitian

Suzy leaned back in the generously sized seat while sipping the champagne the stewardess had brought them. She had tried to book Economy class, but Vincent wouldn't hear of it. Then he had to go and tell everyone that they just got engaged and order champagne to celebrate.

"You mind taking it down a notch?" Suzy asked in hushed tone.

"What, honey?" he smiled at her.

"That. Vincent, seriously, aren't you going a little too far with this?"

"We want to make it look believable, aren't we?"

"Yes, but…"

"Then why wouldn't I want to tell the world I'm marrying this beautiful woman," he said, his voice raised for the last five words, making sure no one in first class missed his proclamation.

"Ugh, just… promise you won't act this way when we get to Hopeland, okay?"

"I promise, I'll behave."

"Why do I find that so hard to believe?" Suzy sighed.

"So tell me more about your family. After all, they're going to be my new in-laws."

"Well… my dad's a Chemist. A true gentleman, protective but cool. My mom's an artist. She spends long days at our lake house, painting. She donates her work to charity. Hopeland is big on charities. She bought me my first journal, pushed me into writing. She's the reason I love books so much."

"But your dream is to be an editor?" Vincent frowned.

"Yes. I love writing, but I don't feel I'm good enough to pursue it as a career. Editing… it lets me be a part of the creative process, and I couldn't think of a better career. What about you? What made you go into publishing?"

"I've always had a gift for editing. My little brother kept a diary – journal, he called it – and I would proofread it and leave him little comments in the margins. Especially on his excessive use of adjectives."

"You did not!" Suzy giggled and punched his arm.

Vincent laughed. "Yeah, I kinda did… but, no, it wasn't an early expression of my editing abilities. I only did it to mess with him. I don't know, I was always an avid reader, I guess. And my father hated the arts, so of course I had to study that."

"You said your father wanted you to take over the family business. What was it?"

"Winemaking. Lee Winery is one of the largest wineries in Dobong district. I'm not sure how much of it really makes onto the market, though. Father probably drinks it all himself," he muttered under his breath.

"Sorry?"

"Nothing. So, is your brother more like your father or your mother?"

"My mom, definitely. He's a great artist. He does artwork for a couple of magazines."

"And your Korean friend? Lee Jieun, was it? Woah we have the same surname, she must be amazing."

"Yeah, she is. She's an herbalist. She has a little shop where she sells herbal teas, essential oils, extracts and other stuff for medicinal purposes."

"Oh, so she's a witch?" Vincent asked and sipped his champagne.

"No," Suzy rolled her eyes. "She's also our designated town singer."

"Got it, so… anything else I need to know before I meet your family?"

"Nope, can't think of anything."

××××××××××

"Mom, Dad, hi! I missed you both so much!" Suzy exclaimed when she spotted her parents at the airport.

"My baby! We missed you more!" Sandra Bae hugged her daughter.

Suzy embraced them both, then pulled back. "I didn't know you were coming. We were going to rent a car."

"Nonesense! Sander told me which flight you were coming in on and we just had to come pick you up. So where's this boyfriend of yours?" Sandra eagerly looked around the arrivals hall.

"He's getting the luggage," Suzy said dismissively, "but mom, there's something you should know…"

"Oh, Sander told me your little secret – you fell for someone at work, didn't you? I should have known there was a reason you never came home over the holidays anymore after college. Always blaming the boss for riding you so hard, when really, you were dating someone. Where did you meet him? Is he an editor, too?"

"Actually, mom…"

"There you are, hon," Vincent said in his overly sweet tone voice, setting down their suitcases beside her. "Who are these lovely people?"

"Mom, Dad, this is Vincent Lee. My boss."

Sandra's delighted smile faltered and Jack Bae, who up until this point had said nothing, reached out his hand. "Jackson Bae. Jack. You and I are going to have a serious conversation when we get home."

"Uh… home? Dad, we're staying at the B n' B."

"You most certainly are not," Sandra huffed. "This weekend is about family, and families stay together. I know that may be a foreign concept to you these days, but that's the way it's always been."

"But I made reservations…"

"Oh, please, Mrs. Blooms won't even notice you're not there. Her eyesight isn't what it once was," Sandra said determined and marched out of the airport.

Suzy gave Vincent an apologetic look. He shrugged and picked up the bags. "After you, hon."

Suzy rolled her eyes and followed her parents outside.

×××××××

"Mr. Lee can stay in Sander's old room," Sandra said as they entered the house.

Suzy didn't know why, but she felt like objecting to the arrangement. It wasn't as if she wanted to share a room with Vincent, but her mother's cold attitude towards her supposed boyfriend was unsettling.

"I'll show you where it is," Jack offered, took one of the bags and headed upstairs.

"Mom…" Suzy said tentatively, "Is there something bothering you?"

"You mean apart from the fact that I barely hear from you in years, and then I have to hear from your brother that you're bringing a date to the wedding, and then he's your boss? Suj, I'm worried about you. He is so much older than you are…"

"Mom, I'm 25 years old… he's 32, that's hardly an age difference."

"You're still my little girl…"

"I know, mom," Suzy said and took her mother's hands in hers. "And I'm sorry I've been so caught up in my life and I haven't been in touch as much as I should have, and…"

"Suj?" Sandra said pensively.

"Yes, mom?"

"What's this ring on your finger?"

×××××

Jackson Bae set down the suitcase he was carrying on the floor in the guest room, which had once housed Suzy's little brother.

"Well, I suppose there comes a time in every man's life when he is forced to ask this question… what are your intentions with my daughter, Mr. Lee?"

"Well, sir… I intend to marry her."

"Say what?"

"I realize this may come as a shock to you, sir, but I would… we would very much appreciate your blessing."

"And if I refuse to give it?"

"I know Suzy will be disappointed, but nothing will stop me from marrying your daughter… sir."

Jackson Bae's expression was inscrutable. Vincent wondered if he played poker, because he would surely excel at it.

After what seemed like quite a few tension-filled minutes, the façade cracked and a smile settled on Jack's face as he heartily slapped Vincent's back. "Good answer, son."

××××××××

"You're getting married and you didn't even see it fit to tell me you were dating?" Sandra's voice cried out just as Jack and Vincent were making their way downstairs.

"Sweetheart, go easy on our girl," Jack said, placating his wife.

"But, Jack, she's…"

"Engaged. Yes. And I have just given them my blessing."

Suzy couldn't help herself. She went over and wrapped her arms around her father. "Thanks, dad," she said, smiling. She looked up and caught Vincent's gaze over her father's shoulder. This was all a sham, Suzy reminded herself. This wasn't her dad accepting the man she loved, this was her deceiving her family. It was all a charade. She found herself inexplicably saddened by that realization.

"I'm sorry to break this up, but I'm supposed to be meeting the groom at…" Vincent looked at his phone, "… the Grillmates. Is that somewhere close?"

"I'm going there myself," Jack said. "I'll take you."

"Excellent. Hon, aren't you supposed to meet Jieun tonight?"

"Uh… yes, we're meeting at her house in an hour."

"I'll see you later, then," he kissed her cheek. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do." He playfully winked at her.

"That gives me a lot of leeway," she muttered under her breath, careful not to let her parents hear.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

99K 9K 155
in which jeon jungkook believes that lee jieun has fallen for him, when she is actually just doing her job as an undercover news reporter. what happe...
59K 1.1K 32
Never ever thought someone like her would effect someone like him that much. but before he could realise, he has completely fallen deep for her. Will...
22.6K 847 16
In which your sister begged you to pretend to be her for a week since it will take her a long time to recover from her fever. You didn't like doing i...
174K 7.5K 71
Yoongi needed to be married within a few months. Taehyung needed somewhere to stay. Yoongi's sister happens to know Taehyung needed to be cared for...