Song of Blood and Reign

By writeon27

(Book 4 in the fantasy series The Crowns) Across the lands of Dalcaine, Escarral, and Ethran, Jai is leading... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Land of Light and Shadows Description

Chapter 41

1K 97 8
By writeon27

Chapter 41

Lyv watched Elys flipping through the Seer text as he sat in her lap at the council table, listening to him mumble words that made no sense to her. The ink on the paper was the same. All she could make out were the scribbles of drawings, not what it actually said, but Elys was reading it as easily as she read one of his picture books at bedtime. Eamon was in the chair on her right, doing his own studying since he was forgoing his formal lessons with his tutor for the day. He sped through it, though, wanting to be done as quickly as he could.

Other than Elys, Eamon, and Lyv herself, those who in the council chamber were Jai, his parents, Lyv's parents, Drue, Jules, Gideon, Thia, Allel, Michel, and Laurel with baby Archer sleeping soundly in her arms. It was very informal, too, because they started off their morning so early and without food, so the remnants of breakfast were still there in the center of the table amongst the maps and texts. Everyone had been there for almost two hours by that time, still blurry-eyed from the temple service they had to sit through for three hours before the sun even rose.

"...going to need to get in touch with Ozera," Jai had been saying. "We'll need safe passage and supplies."

"You think anyone would want us in Ethran?" Gideon questioned. He was two seats to Lyv's right on Eamon's other side. He leaned back in his chair with one boot crossed over his knee. "You didn't exactly play nice with them all when we were there. I don't know if Ozera's going to be as nice as she was before either. Even I could see she was getting a little annoyed with all your demands, Jai, especially when she said there was no sight of Lyv, Mik, Corliss, or Guinevere in Chamin or in the surrounding deserts."

Lyv couldn't help but scoff at the sound of Ozera's. The one time she met the Queen of Chamin, she didn't take too kindly to her. She could only imagine how she had been when Jai stormed through on his search for her.

Jai sighed, sitting down heavily in the chair between Lyv and his father. "Then we'll have to think of another way. Maybe a quicker one through to the Wilds."

Alexea's eyebrows knitted together in worry...along with everyone else's. "Are you sure that's where you should be going? Maybe search for something here in Ayveri first? Didn't Corliss find information about the dark magic in the university's library?"

"We can definitely do that," Jai nodded, "but we already know where it will lead us."

"Kalla will more than likely be willing," Allel said after a few moments of silence. "She knows a way to get through the ward that separates the Wilds from the rest of Ethran. I don't know how long it's been since she was there, though, or if her second way is still open, but..."

Jai leaned forward with his forearms on the table, hands clasped in front of him. "No, that's...that's a good idea. We'll send word to her as well. She's always up for a trip, isn't she?"

Everyone continued talking around her, but Lyv concentrated on Elys. She ran her fingers though his hair, noting they would need to get it trimmed soon. Maybe even look into getting new clothes fitted for him since the ones he was wearing then seemed just a tad bit small on him.

It took her a moment to realize everyone had turned their attention to her. She was concentrating on something Elys was whispering to her about what he wanted to do on the last day of the festival, so it startled her whenever she looked up.

"What?" she asked, meeting their gazes with her one of confusion.

"Have you heard anything from Bence or your sisters?" Bridget asked her then. "I know you sent a message to them a few days ago, but have you gotten anything back?"

Lyv nodded her head, having gotten his reply earlier that morning. The message she'd sent to her father Bence asked him how everyone was doing, while also subtly asking if anything had happened anywhere throughout the Escarrali land. When she'd gotten her answer back, he said they were all fine, begged her to come for a visit so they could see her with their own eyes, and promised her a huge market day if she did. Lyv was smiling through her tears throughout the entire letter before writing back that she would come for a visit with everyone as soon as she possibly could.

"Nothing's happened there to their knowledge. They still have troops out patrolling the lands, though, just in case. He also said Camilla and Soren were wrapping up everything and were more than likely going to head back to Ayveri within the next two or so weeks. And I let him know we would come for a visit soon, too."

Jai gave her a smile, reaching for her hand to give it a gentle squeeze. "He's written to me about that, too, threatening me with my life if I kept you to myself for any longer and not taking you to see them."

Lyv rolled her eyes. "Then I guess we're going to have to make the trip before we head off because, you know, I'd rather keep you around for a long as I can."

Of course, Bence would threaten his daughter's mate, who just happened to be centuries older than him. Before, she knew he was still on edge about what Jai did to Lyv three years before. Even though they hashed everything out when they went to visit the previous year and were seemingly on good terms when they left Escarral to head back to Ayveri, Lyv knew her father. She knew he had forgiven Jai for the pain he'd put Lyv through, but wouldn't forget it for however many more years he lived.

Emmeric leaned back in his seat, worriedly running his fingers through his hair. It was a motion Jai did when he was, too. "I still don't like this, but this is all we have, isn't it?" he sighed. "At least we'll have you all here for a little while longer since I know you're going to want to head off as soon as possible."

Lyv looked over at Jai. "We should still go through the library at the university, though. See if we can find anything or someone who can show us a way to."

"And we will. Sometime after today, of course," he told her, looking over at his mother. "You obviously haven't told her, have you?"

Alexea's tiny smile turned to Lyv.

"What?" Lyv asked, looking between the two of them as everyone around them began to smile as well.

Laurel held up her hand. "You're coming with me, Thia, and Allel for the rest of the afternoon. We've got a lot to do before tonight."

Tonight. What was tonight? The last day of the festival, sure...

Oh, gods.

With everything going on over the past few days, getting up extremely early to go to the temple service that morning, and then the conversation currently happening around the council table, the significance of the actual day completely slipped her mind.

And she and Jai were just talking about it the night before as they laid in bed with Elys snuggled between them, already asleep with his mouth slightly open.

Lyv aimed a hard punch to Jai's arm.

"How could you let me forget to tell you happy birthday this morning?" she practically yelled, making everyone's smiles turn to laughter. Even and Elys and Eamon shared a look before giggling.

"I just thought you were waiting until after all of this," Jai smirked, nodding toward the table as he reached over and took her hand. He brought it up to his lips to kiss her knuckles. "But is there something you want to say now?"

Keeping their conjoined hands up, she brushed her fingers along his bearded jaw. "Happy birthday, prince."

Jai was the one to lean over the arm of his chair and kiss her softly. "Why, thank you, princess."

With everyone watching their little exchange, a light blush blossomed along Lyv's cheeks. "So, of course, there's going to be not only a party for the end of the Spring Equinox festival, but it'll also be for Jai's birthday, too, right?"

"Happens every year," Gideon sighed, rolling his eyes.

"But this year is also going to be about you," Alexea said, speaking directly to Lyv then. "A celebration of having you back with us after so long."

"The celebratory dinner wasn't enough?"

Jai chuckled, kissing her temple. "Not for this family. Besides, this one is for all of Ayveri."

***

Lyv stood back admiring the light blue gossamer dress she wore then, standing in front of the full-length mirror in Laurel's rooms. Her fingers danced over the fabric, picking up the skirts to let them fall back around her legs. It was perfect for the final Spring Equinox party, with silver and white flowers and butterflies concentrated mostly on the upper half and the sleeves that went to her wrists. The neck- and backline were both plunging, but didn't show as much as some of the other dresses Lyv had worn before. What they did show were silver line across her throat and the twin scars that were months old now, but still bright white against her tanned skin.

Laurel didn't attack her too much with her cosmetic brushes either, but her lips were painted pale pink, her cheeks were slightly flushed, and silver shadow was brushed across her eyelids. She wasn't used to seeing herself all done up like this after so long. Laurel had even gotten the diamond and pearl crown Alexea had given to Lyv and placed it effortlessly on top of her curls.

The only thing that ruined the image was the slight glow of the obsidian stone beneath the skin of her forearm.

Laurel stepped up beside her in the mirror then, dressed up herself in a pale-yellow gown and her dark hair put up in a messy braided bun at the back of her head. "You look stunning, just like you usually do," she told her, reaching over to give her hand a squeeze. "I wouldn't be surprised if Jai's all over you this evening."

Lyv snorted, rolling her eyes. "Let's hope not too much."

"What do you mean?" Thia asked, stepping out from the bathing room in her own dress. It was silver and made of the same material as Lyv's, but the neckline was high while the back plunged all the way to the small of her back. And with her hair up, it allowed everyone to see her dragon tattoo that spanned the length of her spine. She continued when she finished fixing her sleeves. "You know he's not going to be able to keep his hands off you."

"Yeah? And look at you. You sure you're not going to make Gideon keel over?"

Thia looked down at herself and then shrugged. "He better, especially when I only dress up for certain occasions."

When the door to the bathing room opened once more, the three of them looked over to see Allel awkwardly lifting the bottom of her dress so she wouldn't step on it. When she finally met Lyv's surprised stare as they looked her over, her eyebrows drew together in confusion. It was the first time she had ever seen her out of her skin-tight shifter leathers or in just a plain tunic and leggings or pants.

"Allel, you look..."

"Completely ridiculous, I know," she sighed, shaking her head. "I've never had the opportunity to dress this way before and I honestly don't know how I feel about it."

"I wasn't going to say that," Lyv told her, walking to stand in front of her. "But you look almost as comfortable as Thia and I are in dresses."

Thia snorted out a laugh from behind them while Laurel sighed heavily.

"I swear, you three aren't letting me have any fun in dressing you up," Laurel pouted. "Can't you just pretend to love it all? Even for a little bit?"

"Well, I don't have to pretend," Thia noted. "I actually really like this dress."

"Me either, even though it's been months since I've been in one," Lyv agreed.

"And me," Allel started, peeking over at herself in the mirror. "Well, I could definitely get used to this." A smile flickered on her lips as she seemingly thought about something in the past. "Mik would absolutely have a fit seeing me in this. While he might have grown up in the spotlight, I always hung back. I never wanted to go to the parties his parents would throw, though he did drag me to a couple. They would always dress up just like this, though."

"His parents are still living in Palrion, right?" Lyv asked her then. "He asked me about them, but I didn't have anything to tell him."

She nodded, her smile turning sad. "They are. I...haven't reached out to them since escaping Corliss's hold. Shame is a big part of it. I want Mik to be back with us before going to see them." She let out a heavy sigh then, trying to shake the thoughts her mind turned to then. "But none of that right now. We've got someplace to be, don't we?"

Lyv knew everyone's hesitation at getting Mik back. None of them knew him like she and Allel did, but they would be able to once they got him away from Corliss. Even though he tried not to show it, Lyv knew Jai was more than a little hesitant with her request in getting him back as soon as possible, especially when it meant them more than likely going head to head with Corliss. If that was how she got him back, then so be it. There was no other option. Because when Corliss had her own agenda for Mik, they only had a limited amount of time.

Speaking of her mate...

"I'll meet you all downstairs with everyone else. I need to go check and make sure Elys is ready and not fighting Jai," Lyv grinned, picking up her skirts so she wouldn't step on them.

Thia grinned as she looped her arm through Allel's. "Wanna go see me knock Gideon on his ass without even touching him?"

"Pretty sure you do that every day since he's always drooling all over you. It's kind of adorable," Allel laughed as they all headed out of Laurel's rooms, but Lyv in opposite directions.

It didn't take long to hear Jai's low voice talking with Elys as he showed him how to fasten the buckles on his doublet. When Lyv appeared in the doorway of Elys's room, she leaned against the frame as she watched as they finished the last one. Posy was on Elys's shoulder, peering down also while trying to keep her balance. Lyv tried to hide her smile at the little boy's attire – navy pants, a white tucked-in tunic, and a navy double with silver embroidery and buckles. He looked so handsome with his hair brushed back perfectly into place, especially with that heartbreaker smile he gave her whenever he saw her.

"Lyvi!" he called, running over to her, only to collide with her legs and wrap his arms around her. "You look so pretty!"

Posy, who had jumped off his shoulder to flutter in the air, was wide-eyed as she looked at Lyv. She didn't know what to get a closer look at first, going from her crown to the flowers on top of her dress to the flowy skirt. Finally, she settled for her shoulder, which gave her spot next to one of the flowers.

"Well, thank you," Lyv smiled down at Elys, brushing her thumb across his cheek. "You're looking very handsome yourself. Where did you get the clothes?"

He nodded back to Jai, who had slowly stood from his kneel. "Jai said they were Destan's when he was my age. He said he didn't think he would mind if I borrowed them. You really think they look all right?"

Lyv laughed, leaning down to kiss his forehead. "Very handsome, just like I said. Now, go get your boots. We're going to be late in catching up with everyone."

Elys let her go after one last squeeze and ran off to his wardrobe with Posy leaving Lyv's shoulder to flutter after him. With his back to them as he dug through its depths in search of his boots, Jai started his slow walk toward her, eyes slowly trailing from the crown all the way down. The smile that spread across her pale pink painted lips matched the speed at which he came for her. Knowing Elys was just feet away, it took everything she had in her to not jump him then and there.

It had been a while since Lyv had see Jai in such formal attire. It was the same as Elys's – pants, tunic, and doublet – but in colors opposite his. While his pants were still navy, tucked into black boots, his double was made of the finest silver fabric with swirling details, navy cording around the buttons, and five silver stars on both shoulders. He'd trimmed his beard so it looked nothing more than a few days' growth and pulled back his hair into a knot at the back of his head.

"Apparently, your mother picked this out," Lyv smiled sweetly at him, lifting up one layer of her skirts only to let it fall back down. "She's got great taste, don't you think?"

Jai didn't say a word, only stopped a foot away before reaching forward to place his hands on her hips. He held her at arms-length, slowly dragging his eyes over her once more before meeting hers.

"You're absolutely breath-taking," he murmured, leaning forward to kiss her just below her ear only to make her shiver and pull him closer. "And I see you have the crown again, huh?"

Lyv let out a soft laugh, her own hands tracing up his arms to loop around his shoulders. "Your mother's a fantastic female...but we shouldn't tell her or anyone else it's the only thing I'll be wearing for the rest of the night, right?"

He hummed against her neck, hands circling until he reached the bare skin of her back, tracing along the scar there. "I love the dress, but I'd much rather see you out of it."

"Subtle much?"

"Never."

"And I like the outfit, too. You only wear it for formal occasions like birthdays?"

Jai was grinning as he finally leaned back to look at her. "Good thing, too, because it's incredibly uncomfortable."

"Just a few hours of dancing and drinking and celebrating and then I'll help you out of it, too."

"Now who's being subtle?"

Lyv shook her head, laughing again as she pulled Jai down to kiss him, but a tug on the skirts of her dress made them pull apart a moment later. Elys stared up at them, crossing his arms over his chest, and gave them such a Gideon look, it made them do a double take.

"Are you two done? Can we go now?" he asked, huffing out a breath.

"I'll never be done kissing Lyvi, you know," Jai told him, leaning down to pick him up and place him on his hip. The motion was so sudden that it had Elys laughing and clutching onto the front of his doublet so he wouldn't fall backward. "Just you wait, kid. Actually, please do wait, especially when it's Dessa we're talking about."

Elys's little, scarred face turned a bright shade of red. Obviously, he had been seeing a little bit more to his visions with Dessa than he was leading them on. "I think she's going to like the Spring Equinox festival, though. Maybe because it's...nope, never mind."

"Never mind?" Jai asked, and then leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Don't you think you can keep the truth from me, kid. Now, talk."

"Nope," Elys grinned slyly.

But, of course, Jai wasn't going to stop.

As the three of them left Elys's room, Jai was trying to tickle the truth out of him while Lyv was trying to get him to stop. They were still laughing and yelling at each other as they met everyone at the front doors of the palace before going out into the streets of Ayveri.

Now, Lyv knew why the last day of the Spring Equinox festival was Jai's favorite and not just because it was also a birthday celebration. Everything from the last week seemed to build up to that night. Lyv found herself talking and laughing with so many people she couldn't keep count. She stuffed herself on food and desserts with Elys and Eamon, tried to get both her parents and Jai's to stop fussing over her and how beautiful she looked in her dress and crown, and found herself being pulled into Jai's arms for the first dance of the evening.

It was just the two of them, surrounded by the people of Ayveri, watching on as their crown prince and the future crown princess held each other close and followed each other's lead. Their smiles never wavered and their eyes never left the other's, so they were oblivious to everyone around them, especially when the excited chatter of a possible wedding between them in the not so distant future.

After they finished the first dance and everyone else joined in, Lyv was passed from Jai to Gideon, then to her father Alberich, and even Emmeric before finally finding herself back in Jai's.

It was hours later, with everyone still celebrating and all the little ones, including the little pixie Posy, drifting off to sleep with their heads pillowed on their arms at their tables, that they noticed Lyv and Jai's absence. Usually, there would be a birthday cake cutting with Jai the center of attention, but not that year. Alexea was the one to cut up the largest cake they'd gotten as of yet, made especially by Sherine. She made it a point to save them both a piece, though.

Because they'd already found themselves back at the palace and locked in their rooms, having thrown up wards to keep everyone out and the sounds that escaped them both from being heard outside. Both of them made good on their promises to help the other out of their clothing, finding the fancy attire scattering along the floor toward their bed as they went, but Jai made sure Lyv kept her crown. 

***Ugh, I'm getting super far behind on my NaNo goal.  I thought these slower chapters would be easier to write, but it's the complete opposite.  Guess I need some more action...but don't worry, it's coming!

What did you guys think?  Comment and vote!

Happy reading!

- Ansley***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7 0 31
In the mystical land of Elysium, where magic weaves through every leaf and whispers secrets to the wind, a darkness begins to stir. For centuries, th...
172 11 14
Do not read this is actually cringing as heck ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Layla has done terrible...
1.9K 64 35
Lykalis has a new obsession: a bewitching man carrying secrets stained in blood. But is he worth less than the safety of her kingdom? Or is he worth...
20.8K 713 20
The last Queen of Magic was evil.. hated all of her peers, yelled at everyone who helped her, and even ended up killing her allies. But another Mage...