𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐘 ➵ M...

By everyonelikesawriter

When Elizabeth Patterson returns to Small Heath, Birmingham, it wasn't quite the same as she expected. Everyt... More

INTRODUCTION.
AESTHETIC
↳ ACT ONE
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
↳ ACT TWO
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven.
Chapter Twenty-Eight.
Chapter Twenty-Nine.
Chapter Thirty.
Chapter Thirty-One.
Chapter Thirty-Two.
Chapter Thirty-Three.
Chapter Thirty-Four.
Chapter Thirty-Five.
↳ACT THREE
Chapter Thirty-Six.
Chapter Thirty-Seven.
Chapter Thirty-Eight.
Chapter Thirty-Nine.
Chapter Fourty.
Chapter Fourty-One
Chapter Fourty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Fourty-Four
Chapter Fourty - Five

Chapter Twenty-Five.

2.6K 61 3
By everyonelikesawriter

Liz's face is emotionless, although her body is shaking with Adrenaline as the car comes to a halt. She glances at Michael, who's face is like stone, no emotion, just like hers. He has a gun in his hand, cocked and ready. Liz places her hand over the small knife she was given thats tucked in her suspenders, just incase anything was to happen. 

"both of you, wait here. I will do the killing. Thats a fucking order" Michael's thick Birmingham accent fills the car as he looks at both of the back of the mens heads. His gaze turns to Liz. They both nod towards each other and then get out of the car. She takes in a deep breath as they slowly walk towards the building, and even though she knows Father Hughes should be alone, she cannot help but panic thinking there will be more people. She shakes her head, realising she cannot panic when Charlie's life is at stake. 

"Take it with you, hold it close to you. Any sign of trouble, you leave, got it?" Michael's face is close to hers as they are now just outside of the door, as he places his hand above the knife. She nods in agreement. He plants a kiss on her cheek before entering, Liz not far behind. Michael made his way into the middle of the room, where as Liz walked around the edges, keeping behind every pillar she could incase Father Hughes was to walk out. All that could be heard was the mans heavy breathing and the sound of him lifting his gun. It terrified Liz that someone else was in this building, or even this very room with them. The walls were tall, almost never ending, as well as great big windows which gave the room it's only form of light. There were shadows everywhere caused from the moonlight hitting whatever objects were in the room. Looking up, Liz places her eyes on a door that is near the other side of the room, a warm glow falling through a crack where it was open just ajar. A cry could be heard on the other side. Charlie. Her footsteps quicken, but just as she reaches the final pillar of the room, a figure emerges through the door. She could just see glimpses of what was inside, but nothing was clear. 

Michael Lifts his gun and points it at Father Hughes, who's face was nothing but confusion. As the man stands before him, he tries too hold in the anger that is bubbling inside of his stomach, trying to push it down as best he could. His breathing was getting heavier, almost panting as he takes a step closer to Father Hughes, the gun in his hand pointing at his head. 

"What do you think you're doing boy?" Father Hughes Irish accent filling the room. Michael pushes his hand forward so his gun is now pressing hard in the mans eye. Liz is watching carefully from the sidelines, waiting for her chance to run into the room to Charlie. 

"Please don't" The man now begs, his eyes shut tight. Despite how close they were to the door, Liz makes a run for it, being as sneaky as she could. She manages to get into the room, turns around and spots Charlie who is sat on a mattress on the floor, a lit candle next to him. She places her finger to her lips for him to be quiet, then runs to him and engulfs him in a hug. 

"Please don't shoot, please don't shoot" Father Hughes could be heard begging from the other room. Liz places Charlie back to the bed, then walks to the door and carefully peaks around the corner. Charlie then whimpers, which causes Michael to glance towards the door. Taking his gaze  away from Father Hughes, he takes this to his advantage knocks the gun flying out of Michael's hands. 

"Fucking rat. What do you think you're doing huh?" Father Hughes is kicking and punching Michael, who is groaning in pain. Adrenaline is flowing through Liz's body as she watches from the door. She feels her chest tighten as her eyes widen with fear, she isn't sure if she wants to stay where she is or run for the car to alert the other two that Michael ordered to stay behind, but she knew she wouldn't be able to run fast enough if she was carrying Charlie. She faces reality, her hand over her mouth and her eyes closed as she prays for Michael to be alright. A tear falls down her cheek as she hopes that Father Hughes doesn't beat her love to a pulp, and walk back to find her with Charlie. 

"You know who you're fucking messing with?!" He is holding Michael around the neck, his face is red and eyes bulging as he struggles to breathe. Liz tries to hold in her whimper as she watches Michael struggle. She knew that if she tried to help, either Father Hughes would kill her, or Michael would for getting into danger. "I'm going to take your fucking life from you. You gypsy bastard" Liz gasps as Father Hughes is now lunging back, holding his face. She catches a glimpse of metal in Michael's grasp. All of the anger that he had been trying to push down has now boiled to the surface. The knife he had hid in his jacket pocket had slashed Father Hughes' face, twice. The man falls to the floor and Michael screams at him. His face was still red from being strangled, a vein pulsing out on his forehead. 

"Get up!" Michael screams. Liz moves away from the door and walks towards Charlie, picking him up and placing a blanket over his head so he can't see the scene behind the door. When she walks back the two men from the car have ran in. 

"I'll take him!" the one shouts, cocking his gun at the Father's head. 

"NO! This bastards mine" Michael spits, holding his hand up. "Go call Finn!" Michael stands above Father Hughes, his knife in hand, and then leans forward, pushing it into his neck. Liz cries out at the blood that was going everywhere, making squelching noises. The Father was now choking on his own blood, the knife going further into his neck again. Michael's face was a look of rage as he did this, satisfaction crossing his face as his body started to go limp. One of the men walked across and took Charlie from Liz's arms, the blanket still over his head. 

"We called Finn, we'll take Charlie to the car and wait" He nods in Michael's direction as he is now slumped against a wall, shock written all over his face, as well as Father Hughes' blood which also covered his hands and most of his shirt. The girl walks over to him, and kneels infront of him. She places a hand on his cheek, not caring about the blood. 

"Baby" she whispers, closing her eyes and placing her forehead against his. 

"When I was in foster care.." he starts, taking a breath "There was a priest that used to come to the home... " He glances towards the limp body on the floor "He would give speeches and sing hymns with us... He used to choose special children to go with him to his office. To help with hymns he would say. Only, those special boys would come out crying. scared for life. including me" He looks Liz right in the eye, a tear falling down his face, before getting up and leaving her on her own. Shocked, she couldn't keep her eyes off the empty space infront of her, then turns to also look at the limp body that had bled out in the middle of the room. She lets out a sob, crying, realising the story she was just told. She stays sat there, crying, covered in blood, until she is helped up by one of the men from the car, cleaned, and taken back to the car to return Charlie home. 

***

Liz places her coat over her lap, as she sits in the hard wooden chair next to Michael. She glances round the room, although having been in here plenty of times, she had never actually took in her surroundings. Tommy's desk was before her, big, and made of wood. It was scattered with pens, lots of paper, a phone and some other items. Big windows were behind him, letting all the light into the room seeing as there was plenty of dark wood. What Liz seemed to love the most, were the bookcases that adorned the walls surrounding her. No space spare for any sort of art. The bookcases heaved under the weight of the old volumes that covered their shelves. Unlike normal bookshelves that are generally made out of thin, cheap wood, these were made out of thick, dark oak that was sturdy enough to hold the heavy cargo that they shelved. Without even noticing, the room soon filled, people sitting on the chairs that were free, all staring at Tommy sat at his desk. 

"Before I begin, I want to let you know I made a mistake. I made a mistake, and I want to apologise to all of you. Arthur, you warned me against getting involved in Russian business. And you were right" A small grunt forms on Arthur's lips as he watches his younger brother address him. Michael places a hand on Liz's thigh, as he watches the exchange. "I doubted your wife. For that I'm sorry. Linda, I've added £3,000 here in the hope that you'll forgive me" Tommy places a stack of notes tied together at the end of the desk. Liz watches her out of the corner of her eye, as Linda's shifts in her seat, her swollen belly protruding out infront of her. She stands, walks towards the desk and takes the money.

"Apology accepted" 

"Esme, I doubted you as well"

"Now John's got innocent lives on his conscience" she spits, no emotion in her face. Tommy goes on to apologise to them, placing enough money on the desk that is enough to buy a house, which John stands to collect. Money is then thrown towards Charlie for any lost tools, dangerous goods and Curly's wise words then Johnny dogs for board and lodgings. 

"Lizzie" he places some more money at the other end of the desk. The black haired woman flares her nostrils as she picks up the money and throws it away from her. 

"Michael... for the killings" He throws more money down. Liz couldn't believe her eyes at the amount of cash that was before her. "£5,000 for the cuttings, and £5,000 for the shooting" 

"No Tommy" Polly gets up from her seat.

"What? Tell me, aye! This is who I am, and this is all I can give you, for what you've given me" He waves some notes in Polly's face. He goes on, addressing the room about how he almost lost Charlie, and for what? Money? the house? he isn't sure.  A smile is playing on his face knowing the joke of it all. Polly sits back down. 

"Liz, £6,000 for helping Michael and getting my son back. There is no amount of money I can give you for getting him out of that room, but i'm hoping this will help" He throws a wad In her direction, which she catches. 

"And Lizzie, I want it known, that money was for you because some nights it was you, who stopped my heart from breaking. No one else" He points in the woman's direction. "And the rest of you, you took the kings shilling. You took the kings fucking shilling, and when you take the kings shilling, the king expects you to kill. Right Arthur? Thats how it works? Right John?" he looks towards his brothers. Michael gets up from his seat and grabs the money for himself off the desk.

"Thats right" 

"Thats right Pol" Tommy points towards her in her chair. She smiles and shakes her head, Liz could see the words forming around in her head as she prepares to say them.

"Tommy, You've had a bad time, we understand, so at an alternative time, we have all recovered. I would like to put before the family, an alternative view of the future, of the Shelby Company Ltd. A more hopeful view" Polly takes the money from Michael's hand and holds it herself. 

"Which I for one would quite like to hear" Ada says, her arms folded across her chest. 

"As would I"Esme stands from her seat, baby in arms. 

"As would I" Lizzie says. 

"Come on Arthur, train for the dock leaves in an hour. Then we'll get the boat to New York, and it'll all be in the past" Linda stands and holds onto Arthur's shoulder. Liz swallows hard, not knowing that Arthur was going to be moving away. She grips Michael's hand and he turns to her, placing his head against hers. Polly gets ups and hugs Arthur, then Liz gets up. She places her arms around his neck and pulls him close. She sniffs, holding back tears. 

"I'll miss you" She whispers in his ear. 

"I'll miss you too Little Liz" he recalls an old nickname he used to give her when she was just young. Going back to her seat, everyone else stands, saying goodbye. He walks towards Tommy, trying to say goodbye but also trying to stop himself from crying. Tommy says nothing. The only place his eyes would concentrate on was the cigarette in his hand. Liz watches as he takes a puff, and blows out the smoke. 

"You can go, but you won't get far Arthur" 

"Uh.. Alright Tom" Arthur laughs lightly, thinking he was playing some sort of joke. 

"I spoke to Moss last night. He told me that the chief constable of Birmingham, has issued a warrant for your arrest. Murder, Sedition, conspiracy to cause explosion. John, they're coming for you  as well. Murder, conspiracy to cause explosion" Liz's whole body feels like its in a rut, her brain stuttering upon itself trying to find words that just won't form. She stands still, waiting for her body to try and catch up with the situation that was unfolding before her. She inwardly begs for Tommy to not announce any more names but he keeps going. "Michael, for the murder of Hughes, Liz for assisting Murder as well as active concealment. Polly..." Liz's body has now completely frozen, her inside's feeling like they are melting as he stomach sinks at the sound of her name.

"Wait a minute. what the fuck are you talking..." Arthur starts but is cut off by Tommy.

"For the murder of Chief Inspector Chester Campbell" Everyone in the room is starting to raise their voices. Tears threatening to fall down Liz's face as Michael turns to her and pulls in her as close to his body as he can, protectively. 

"The people that we betrayed last night, they want to bring us down. But they do not control, the elected government" Tommy is trying to explain his story but nobody is listening. 

"Michael I'm scared" Liz cries. Little did she ever think at the age of 21 she would be going to jail. Or at any age for that matter.

"I know baby" He kisses her forehead, tears also threatening to fall. "It'll be ok" he whispers. Michael just keeps hold of Liz, not wanting to let go. Scared that if he does he will never see her again. 

"LISTEN TO ME. So I've made a deal, in return for giving evidence against them. It's all sorted. Lizzie, collect the money and bring it to the cellar. YOU WILL ALL GET YOUR MONEY IN DUE COURSE, WHEN THE POLICE GET IN, DO NOT RESIST, YOU GO WITH THEM AND YOU DO NOT SAY ANYTHING" Tommy raised his voice over the arguing in the room. Everyone starts to walk into the entrance way.

"It's going to be ok" Polly cries, kissing Michael's forehead and bringing Liz in for a hug. "it'll be ok" The police are now walking through the door, grabbing people and pushing them up against the wall, placing handcuffs on their wrists. Michael grabs Liz's face and kisses her. He tries to keep his lips on hers for as long as possible until two officers pull them apart.

"Liz!!!" He shouts, trying to get himself out of the officers grip. "I love you!"

"Michael" She screams, wanting to shout I love you back, but from trying to escape the officer had picked her up by the waist and started to carry her outside. Liz kept up her fight, kicking and thrashing as he tried to open the door. He drops her from the struggle, causing her to fall to the floor and with no hands to break her fall, her face hits the gravel. When she is helped back up, she notices her bleeding nose and busted lip in the reflection of the window. He turns her so they are face to face and she spits blood into his. 

"Fuck you" she hisses, as he pushes her into the car. She is soon joined by Polly who is the other side, and officer in the middle of them. Just as the car starts to drive off, she turns in her seat and  see's Michael being pulled out of the house. The tears are free-falling down her face as they are moving down the drive. She watches as her love is placed into the back of a van, just as they start to fade away, the further they drove on. 

She shakes her head and whispers under her breath.

"Fuck you Tommy"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 3K 35
"I still loved you even when you weren't here." When Sullivan Miller moved to Small Heath, she's ready to let her past behind her - and that's what s...
485K 10.2K 32
the youngest petrovna gets tangled in an affair with a peaky blinder. john shelby complete
39.7K 1K 16
angel of small heath? supposedly. devil in disguise? maybe. his lifeline, his everything & soul? definitely. [slow updates] the peaky blinders. thoma...
417K 13.3K 53
It's the roaring twenties in Birmingham, the Peaky Blinders exist alongside God but they were much, much closer at hand than Him. Mercedes de Silva...