Haunteds

By rexdejesus02

OPTIONED BY WATTPAD STUDIOS FOR PUBLISHING/MOVIE DEALS!!! Also approached by 108 Media, the studio that produ... More

#Haunteds
Fan Art
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Haunted's Handbook
Wattys 2020 Spotlight
Changelog
"When is book 2 coming?"

Chapter 11

2.9K 339 85
By rexdejesus02

A loud banging on the door woke me up from a dreamless sleep. And a good thing too, because I doubt I would be dreaming of something pleasant. I didn't feel rested. My head was throbbing. I sat up and faced the window. It was morning. Sunlight was spilling through, giving my room a bright yellow glow. The banging got louder and more annoying that everyone started getting up.

Demi was squinting at me. "What time is it?"

I looked at the clock on the wall above my door. "It's nine," I said.

I got up and walked towards the door to open it. A tall, bulking man stood before me.

"I believe this is yours." Major Coleman said, handing me my handbook. I started wondering how he knew it was mine then I remembered that my room number, the hidden number six, was on the cover.

"Major Coleman, listen—"

"Everyone downstairs," Major Coleman ordered. "Now." Then he walked away and marched down the stairs.

Everyone was still rubbing their eyes. "Come on," I said, following Major Coleman down.

The four of us assembled at the visitor's lounge, along with some who were already there. Others came down as well, filing in till we formed a semi-circle of half-awake kids with bed heads who are still in their uniforms around Major Coleman.

Major Coleman was studying our faces, one by one. Then he began explaining that last night's search and their sensors revealed no signs of intruders. The Shade was never seen again. "So, what happened out there?" Major Coleman said, not a hint of surprised was coming from his voice.

Leo was the first to speak. "Sir, we've seen some strange things last night. Things not found on our handbook."

Major Coleman raised his eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"It had eyes, sir. It grew red eyes with black pupils. Kent saw it too." I said.

"Kent?" Major Coleman asked. "Is he..."

I nodded.

"I see," Major Coleman said with sympathy in his voice. "Let's start from the beginning."

We told him everything that happened last night. We told him that we were out doing our duty, observing the Shade, how we've heard Mr. Donovan screamed before the tree slammed to the ground and saw one of us died right in front of our eyes.

"Hmm, that is strange," Major Coleman said. No doubt the greatest understatement I've ever heard someone said in a matter-of-factly way. "Was there anything else?"

No one answered.

"Then that leaves us with nothing," Major Coleman said, scratching his head. "You did a good job, all of you."

"Sir, what happens to Kent?" Harmony asked.

"That is already being taken care of," Major Coleman said.

"What happens now?" Demi asked.

"Breakfast," Major Coleman said.

"But isn't Mr. Marino in charge of that? I asked. Because we still didn't see him. And I thought he was never late.

"Mr. Marino is currently on his way to Italy with his family so he won't be coming," Major Coleman said.

Now, that was strange. Who takes a vacation right after the first day? Stranger even, why would Major Coleman allow him? Usually, that kind of talk means one thing. "You fired him?" I asked.

"Since when?" Leo followed up.

"Since I saw two dead bodies outside," Major Coleman sighed. "For his safety, and of course to keep this matter confidential, it's best not to get him involved. At least until we find out what happened."

The glass door opened and a man in a different kind of uniform came in. Major Coleman looked over his shoulder. "Ahh, perfect timing," he said. The man joined Major Coleman in front. "Kids, this is Mr. Barnes." Major Coleman introduced. He then explained that Mr. Barnes was to be our dayshift army doctor/caretaker that replaces our civilian doctors that we were supposed to meet, the same reason as with Mr. Marino.

"What you've been through last night was not something anyone, let alone, teenagers could brush off." Major Coleman said. His voice was stern yet full of sympathy. "But there are certain matters that need my attention so I will have to leave you in the hands of Mr. Barnes. Are you going to be okay?"

There was a rumble of different responses.

"We'll be okay, sir."

"We really don't have much of a choice."

"We'll manage. Somehow."

"Now, about breakfast," Major Coleman said, addressing our immediate need. "My guys are decent cooks—"

"I got it," The guy with curly red hair with an undercut said. Stocky build, broad shoulders, he looked like someone you wouldn't want to mess with. Definitely the last person in here I would expect to know how to cook.

"Very well. Mr...?"

"Darius," the guy said. "Darius Angelo."

"Anyone else?" Major Coleman asked. Two girls raised their hands.

The glass door slid open and a soldier stepped inside. "I have to go now," Major Coleman said. "And I'll be expecting your reports when I return."

He turned and went out. Through the window, I could see Major Coleman climbing up the cab of the truck. The cooks instructed the rest of us to wait at the dining area while the three of them prepare our breakfast.

Inside, Cana and I ended up seating with Harmony and Demi. Leo and Eris wanted to share our table but there were only four seats. Eris had the idea of pushing our tables together.

"I'm going to ask them, too," Harmony said, referring to the two haunteds, another guy and Fish Braid Girl sharing the last table. Leo got up to help them push. Once we were all seated in the now long, rectangular table, Cana offered to set the table, which we all helped with.

I remembered this was what Harmony was hoping for at karaoke yesterday.

Seeing that we had such an opportunity, she immediately attempted to strike up a conversation with the two. Usual small talk but you can see the twinkle in her eyes. Leo joined too, but his mostly interested talking with Fish Braid Girl, who introduced herself as Indigo Haruna. I was right about her. She was in fact, homeschooled, but said it was mostly about arts like painting and stuff.

The other guy barely talks, and if he does, he gives one-word replies. But at least he gives Harmony something, told her his name was Cato Ainsworth. The conversation picked up. It was mostly about regular stuff: movies they like, series currently they're watching. No one mentioned Kent or anything that had happened last night. As if by some unspoken rule, we all agreed to pretend that last night didn't happen.

Meanwhile, Darius and the two are hard at work. It wasn't long when breakfast was served. Darius and the other cooks set plates of thinly, sliced hams, sausages, hotdogs, fried eggs and two loaves of bread still in their plastic packaging. It was a simple breakfast. No one complained though. All the conversation stopped as we attacked the food in front of us. Eris broke the silence when she practically demanded that the cooks introduced themselves, so we know who to thank for the meal. Names were exchanged, smiles shared.

Soon, everyone was having fun. It must be the fact that it's morning, knowing that we're safe from the Shade—at least for now—that brings about this relaxed atmosphere where we can enjoy ourselves. I doubt dinner would be the same.

I noticed one of the cooks, Caprice Miller—a girl with silver-rimmed glasses and charcoal black hair cascading down her shoulder in beautiful waves—was on her best behavior. Sitting with good posture, sipping tea from a teacup and saucer (I didn't even know we had those) while looking all poised and elegant. But when she resumed eating, all manners went out of the window. I leaned to Cana sitting to my right.

"The sole heiress of their family's fortune, but her father's textile industry went under so now she has hotdogs with her tea," I said, nodding at Caprice.

"Actually," Cana said. "She was trained how to act, told what to do her entire life, but secretly hated all of it because it made it hard for her to make friends. Eating hotdogs with her tea is her way of making herself appear more silly, hence, more approachable."

Ever since our ride up here, I know she was cool to joke around with. I mouthed the word "Wow" at her, nodding approvingly. She just shrugged, with a smug look on her face.

"So, Caprice," Leo said, propping up his chin with his elbow on the table, smiling at her. "What school are you from?"

She returned to looking all prim and proper, dabbing her lips with a tissue. "Peregrine Academy," she said, bringing out a pleasant grin. "It's an all-girls school."

"Isn't that like, a finishing school? Where they teach you how to eat right?" Scarlet Angelo—the other cook, and the younger sister of Darius, both from Xavier High—said. Her hair, long and straight and parted in the middle, was the color of fire, fitting her name perfectly. Or was it the other way around?

"My sister could use some help," Darius said, nodding his head at Scarlet's messy plate, to which Scarlet glared at her brother.

Caprice giggled. "There are some etiquette classes, yes. But it's not mandatory."

"Wait," Cana stood from the seat. "So you are rich?"

"My parents are rich, not me," Caprice said. Cana shot me a look that said Spot on!

"Is it hard making friends in your school?" Now I'm the one standing up.

"Well, I didn't find that to be the case," Caprice said, holding up her cup with her pinky finger in the air. When I sat down, Cana leaned to me, her hand covering her mouth. "You're good at this."

"But I like your lonely-rich-girl cliché too," I whispered back.

When we finished, everyone started clearing up their plates. "What should we do next?" Demi asked.

"Nothing much but to write your reports and wait for Major Coleman," Eris yawned. "As for me, I'm going to bed." She got up and carried her plate to the sink.

"Hey guys," Harmony said. "I think we should make the best out of the time we have now. I hope I don't come off as insensitive but what do you think about karaoke party?"

There were tired, less-than-enthusiastic responses around the table but the party is on. It was very clever for her to say "make the best out of the time we have now" instead of "left".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21K 1.5K 28
**WATTPAD HQ EDITOR'S PICK for August 2021** *FEATURED IN THE "CHILLS AND THRILLS" READING LIST ON WATTPAD'S "Paranormal" page!* **FEATURED ON WATTPA...
279K 22.9K 109
[🌟Featured by Wattpad's official New Adult profile] Trapped within Penelope is the spirit of Pandora. An irresistible woman bound to take over her m...
7.4K 866 13
[Vᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ 1 - Cᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇ] Evelyn White was born with a gift - or rather, a curse: the first time she touches someone, she sees when and how that person d...
175K 6.8K 74
The demon - he only liked one thing shedding blood of people, enjoying to make them suffer. Enjoying to see them dead but until he meet this girl. So...