Vamp Guards βœ”οΈ

By S_Faith

"Who are we? Well for starters, this is my prince, my heart, the love of my undead life." "And this is Kai, m... More

[β€’β€’β€’]
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y-O N E
T W E N T Y-T W O
T W E N T Y-T H R E E
T W E N T Y-F O U R
T W E N T Y-F I V E
T W E N T Y-S I X
T W E N T Y-S E V E N
T W E N T Y-E I G H T
T W E N T Y-N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y-O N E
T H I R T Y-T W O
T H I R T Y-T H R E E
T H I R T Y-F O U R
T H I R T Y-F I V E
T H I R T Y-S I X
T H I R T Y-S E V E N
T H I R T Y-E I G H T
T H I R T Y-N I N E
F O R T Y
F O R T Y-O N E
F O R T Y-T W O
F O R T Y-T H R E E
F O R T Y-F O U R
F O R T Y-F I V E
F O R T Y-S I X
F O R T Y-S E V E N
F O R T Y-E I G H T
F O R T Y-N I N E
F I F T Y
F I F T Y-O N E
F I F T Y-T W O
F I F T Y-T H R E E
F I F T Y -F O U R
F I F T Y-F I V E
F I F T Y-S I X
F I F T Y-S E V E N
F I F T Y-E I G H T
F I F T Y-N I N E
S I X T Y
S I X T Y-O N E
S I X T Y-T W O
S I X T Y-F O U R
S I X T Y-F I V E
S I X T Y-S I X
S I X T Y-S E V E N
S I X T Y-E I G H T
S I X T Y-N I N E
S E V E N T Y
S E V E N T Y-O N E
S E V E N T Y-T W O
S E V E N T Y-T H R E E
S E V E N T Y-F O U R
E P I L O G U E
Fun Facts

S I X T Y-T H R E E

3.1K 192 120
By S_Faith

Instead of morning birds, there were roosters. However, no noise, loud or peaceful, could distract the pleasure of waking up to smiles and breathy chuckles.

Iris wished the moment lasted longer; forever. He snuggled closer to Kai while tightening his arms around him.

"Please don't leave yet," he mumbled into his shoulder. He was practically clinging onto Kai as soon as he mentioned getting up.

"I have to. Just–" Iris squeezed Kai tighter when he tried to pry his arms away. "Iris, come on. Let–go." Kai was sitting up, one leg off the bed and one remaining on it. Iris had his arms coiled around his waist and had no intention of letting go.

"Don't be the kind that leaves the morning after."

Kai rolled his eyes and let out a small sigh. He put his weight on one arm so he could use his other hand to rake through Iris's hair, pushing it back.

"You know that's not what I'm doing. I don't want to leave either but I have to."

Iris didn't look convinced. He knew Kai wasn't leaving for the purpose he teasingly said, but Iris didn't care for the real reason. He wanted Kai to stay, even for just five more minutes.

Kai gave a sympathetic smile and urged Iris to sit up. When they met eye to eye, Kai cupped Iris's face and placed a short kiss on his cheek before meeting his lips.

Memories from the night before were still fresh in their minds. Their hearts, tender, felt strengthened from what they did. Their whole relationship felt stronger and stable for once. There was a vow in their actions, a promise in the intimacy, and neither dared to even think about breaking them.

For Kai, he knew more than what he's been giving is required for such a love to work. His thoughts strangled him but his dedication untangled every knot built inside of him.

When they pulled away he pressed their foreheads together, pushing a little over gentle as if the force would convey his feelings for him.

"Iris–" Kai's throat grew dry. "You know I have the poorest timing, right?"

"...What is it?" Iris leaned away but Kai brought him back closer this time.

Taking a deep breath, he let everything spill from the bottle he tried to keep tightly shut and sealed away. It was sudden, yes, but it felt right to rip the bandaid off and say it right then and there.

He told Iris about how sorry he was for the way he's been acting. How he shouldn't have reacted the way he did and ignored his feelings. He told him about talking to his dad and how accepting he was. He told Iris that he was scared for the war happening before their eyes and that he felt unusually weak; and how he didn't know if that fragileness was physical or mental.

He told him about Annesa and how he's been meeting with her every night. He talked about her pressurizing threats and plans. And again, how sorry he was.

"I should've told you sooner," he admitted, shaking his head. "I'm so sorry. I believed in her warning and...and I didn't want to risk anything, but keeping this from you is a risk. Not only you but I've been putting everyone else in danger. I'm sorry, Iris."

It was a lot to take in. Twenty minutes of it, to be exact. Iris was silent for a long time, either processing Kai's confessions or deciding on how to respond.

He was staring at the covers in front of him, unblinking and quiet. Kai couldn't even hear him breathing. He was still, present but not actually present where he sat. At least his mind wasn't, not for a while. 

When he did look up, Kai shuffled on the bed. He was prepared to hear and accept anything Iris said or offered. He owed it to him. 

"So...let me get this straight. You've been meeting with Zoe's sister, the one who is suspected of creating a revolt,  for the past five days?"

"....Yes."

"And she told you not to tell anyone, especially me, or something bad will happen."

"Correct."

Iris's eyes were wide. Pure worry captured his features and Kai was confused as to why he looked so fearful. 

"Then why the hell would you tell me!" 

Kai blinked several times at Iris. "Because...because it's the right thing to do?"

"Not when it jeopardizes my safety!"

"Well, I thought now's a good time to stop keeping secrets from each other. Are you mad I told you?"

"I'm-" Iris ran his hands down his face. "I'm not mad but if someone tells you not to tell another person and threatens to kill them then I'd listen to that person, Kai!"

"One, I'd never let anything happen to you. And two, despite that, I'd thought you'd want me to tell you! I mean, this is a very serious matter, you ought to be involved."

"Yes, but I can't do that if I'm dead."

"So, I shouldn't have told you?"

"I mean...no but I can't be mad at you for it. You're right, we shouldn't be keeping secrets from each other. Thank you for telling me, Kai. But if I die I will never forgive you."

"I...that's.." Kai shook his head. "Never mind. Just pretend I didn't say anything. Easy."

"For you." 

 Kai watched Iris slide away to the other end of the bed. He got out, fished his pants from the floor ad slipped them on. Kai did the same thing seconds later. "So, what do you have to say about the other things..?"

Iris turned around, making Kai almost bump into him. "I'll tell you when you're free to talk."

"But I am free to talk."

Iris just smiled at Kai before grabbing his shoulders and forcing him towards the door. "No, because you have things to do, don't you? So do I. Meet me in the room with the balcony at six." There was no question in Iris's voice. He was giving Kai an order and Kai was stumbling for words as he was being pushed out of the room. 

"Wait wait wait! My shirt!" Kai was in the doorway when Iris froze. He quickly pulled Kai back in and shut the door.

"Idiot."

"Wha-you're the one who started pushing me out..."

"Just put your shirt on. And your shoes."

Kai found the rest of his clothes and swiftly put them on. When he was finished he let himself out, but not after placing an apologetic kiss on the side of Iris's head. As he was shutting the door he could've sworn he heard Iris mutter 'idiot' under his breath and it made him smile. 

Slowly but surely things were correcting themselves. Hopefully, they were strong enough to last through Annesa's wrath.

***

It was barely five o'clock when Iris's officially became bored out of his mind. Paranoid, too, but mostly bored.

He had no work to do, he's already walked up and down the hallways of all three floors, twice, made small talk with five maids and two servants, and still had an abundance of free time. He was currently sitting at his desk with his arms crossed over the surface and his head laying on the top. He'd occasionally glance up at his clock only to find a minute or two has passed, then he'd lay his head back down.

I should've picked an early time, Iris thought. 

Just as he was deciding on taking a nap or not, three small knocks came from his bedroom door. He looked up and narrowed his eyes. 

"Who is it?"

"It's me."

Iris sat up at his dad's voice. He got up from his chair and walked over to the door. When he opened it, Arlo was standing in the hall with a natural smile.

"Can we talk?" he asked. 

"If I say no are you going to leave?"

"No."

Iris stepped back and invited his dad in. 

He did want to talk but he knew the tension would cause some complications, so he wanted to ease some of it.

Arlo sat down on Iris's bed and Iris took a seat next to him near the backboard. He turned so he leaned against it and cross his legs. He appreciated the fact he could be casual around his dad. Amilea, not so much. 

"First of all," Arlo was the first to speak. "do you have anything you want to share?"

Iris pursed his lips and linked his fingers together. He didn't say anything for a while, he allowed the tension to settle from the atmosphere first. 

Then he parted his lips.

"No."

Arlo frowned at the answer and scooted a bit closer. "I think you do."

"Mmm no, no I don't think I do."

"Iris."

"Dad."

"It would be a lot easier if you cooperated."

"Kai talked to you. What is there to say?"

"Well, I want to hear what you have to say."

"I don't have anything to say. Well, I guess I could thank you for accepting us. And not killing him. Thanks for not killing him, Dad."

Arlo shook his head and looked down. "You are something else, you know that."

Iris grinned and moved to sit right next to his dad. "You're really okay with us? Okay with me being....different?"

Arlo looked back up. "Don't say it like that. You are different but in the best possible way. You're following the path you laid out and not one that this-this heritage expects you to follow. I've always wanted you to do that. And yes, I am okay with your relationship with Kai. It does surprise me a little, but I support anything that makes you happy." 

Arlo rested a hand on Iris's shoulder to show his reassurance but Iris moved closer to wrap his arms around him. A hug seemed much more appropriate. Arlo chuckled and hugged his son back twice as hard. 

"Thank you." Iris's voice was softly spoken in Arlo's shoulder. 

Arlo hugged him tighter. 

Just like what Kai and Arlo did, they sat and talked with deep conversations on their tongues. Iris did most of the talking but Arlo listened to every word carefully. It was a good way to pass the time. A thankful, necessary moment.

An hour later, the guest room with the balcony was colored orange from the raspberry sunset outside. The light stopped half-way through the room, the rest being coated in shadows. 

Iris glanced over his shoulder when the bedroom door opened. Kai was scratching his neck when he shut the door and while he walked towards Iris. He almost looked sheepish.

"I got you some tea. Not for bribery, I swear." When Kai sat next to Iris he watched him hold up something.

"Not for bribery, either." 

Kai laughed as took the cookie Iris was holding and handed over the tea. "I haven't had one of these in a long time. I remember the first time you snuck an extra out for me."

"Consider it a token of my appreciation."

"Yeah? What do you appreciate?"

Iris sighed and rested his shoulders against Kai's. "Everything," he said, taking a sip of his tea. "You. My dad. This Kingdom. I don't think I'll ever be ready for any kind of fatal violence but I know I'll have to fight. If not for my Kingdom then for moral reasons."

"Look at you." Kai tossed an arm around Iris's shoulder and kissed the side of his head. "Sounding like a leader." 

Iris chuckled quietly. "You know, when I do become King I'll need someone there to rule by my side. Perhaps Vridora will be the first Kingdom to have a vampire rule beside a human?"

Kai raised his eyebrows. "You're serious?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I want you there with me?"

"Well, that's a huge task to take on. I won't get to fight a lot of people anymore."

Iris laughed. "No worries. I won't be a homebody King."

"That's right. After all of this is over, I'm taking you wherever your heart desires." 

Iris smiled and leaned in for a kiss. Before their lips touched, a bloodcurdling scream was heard from outside. Too far to be near the mansion, but close enough to be just outside the first village. The screams only multiplied. 

Iris and Kai shared the same knowing glance. Kai's hand tightened around Iris and the prince took a deep breath. 

"But I suppose it has to start before I can end."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 7.2K 48
"What I was going to say was selfish..." He mumbled. I edge closer to him until my hand slowly cradled his cheek. Tilting his head up to look at me...
673K 41.3K 105
The day that Kai learns that he's half-human, half-merman and that he's the key to ending a 100-year-old war, is also the day that the entire ocean l...
30.5K 1K 43
Kai Summers is a Afro-Caribbean born immigrant to the US. Kai is humble and one of the sweetest persons you will ever meet although his living situat...
12.6K 846 22
Insanity was bred in the pits of Hell. Emeri Marcello was a deep believer in that. His sole empire clawed away at a being, tearing apart their mind...