Our Unlucky Stars

By ThatTrillBlasian

A modern, gay retelling of the star crossed lovers, Romeo & Juliet, about two boys falling in love despite th... More

Our Unlucky Stars
ACT I
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
13
14
15
16
ACT II
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
ACT III
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
Our Unlucky Stars Extras

12

13.6K 878 2.2K
By ThatTrillBlasian

Chapter Twelve |  Theater Geeks

Murphy's Law. A rule that states "If something can go wrong, it will."

That's exactly what happened in the cafeteria today, and that's reason I'm sitting here in this quiet theater room five minutes early waiting for the stupid Art Director to arrive so he can talk to me about what I'll be doing. My parents always told me it's best to arrive early wherever it is you're going - no matter the place or the occasion. It not only looks good, but it gives you more time and you feel good about yourself.

However, I wasn't feeling so good about myself. Boredom had struck me like truck as I waited for someone, anyone to walk through the theater doors. I watched the second hand of the clock tick, tapping my fingers lightly against the arm rest of the theater seat I sat in. The time between each tick seemed to stretch on forever, the sounds of the quiet theater amplified as I felt my brain slowly melt out of my ears.

I tried counting to sixty in French in my head to pass the time, but that ended just as quickly as it started. I tried it again, this time backwards.

I then tried the same routine in Spanish.

Then again in Japanese.

Eventually, I ran out of languages and patience. I suddenly regretted not taking up that Mandarin class my father had offered, but I was already fluent in four languages, I didn't see the purpose in learning another one.

The only reason I took up so many languages is because my father says it looks good on applications and when running a business as wide spread as his it's good to know more than one language, which he isn't wrong. Bi-lingual people are paid more in their careers than people that speak only one language. With me being quad-lingual I'm all set, at least that's what my father tells me.

The sounds of the theater double doors cracking opening caused me to shift in my seat, my head immediately turning towards the opening doors. I only grimaced when I seen it was just Asher. It was after school hours and the first thing I noticed were his clothes. He had changed out of his uniform into something more comfortable that looked just thrown together, but the way he styled and layered it made it so impeccable they appear brand new. There's a coordination to his outfit that surprises me, but then I spot the durag tied around his head and I roll my eyes.

We exchanged glances but only for a quick second, because I quickly break the gaze once an eerie small smirk creeps over his lips. I focus my attention elsewhere as he walked past me and took a seat at the chair diagonal from me. I could hear him scuffing around with something, but I didn't turn around to see what it was. I didn't care that much honestly.

After he was settled, silence took over the theater again. I contemplated on starting on my homework for today, but I remembered I had already did it during study hall.

I mentally cursed at myself for being so productive.

I looked up from my table at the sudden sound of the theater doors opening again. The man that walked in the theater room wasn't alone and a group of people followed behind him, but he still stood out the most. It was obviously he was the Art Director, but he had a youthful look to him unlike most teachers around here at Stratford. Everything about him was a soft and understated joy as he made his way over to us with a smile so bright I'm sure if the room wasn't dim I would be blind.

"Parris Claremont and Asher Montgomery, right?" Director Greene extended out a welcoming hand as Asher and I got up from our seats and greeted him.

"It's Liam," I corrected, before I took his hand into mine. "Liam Claremont."

Asher rolled his eyes from beside me and I ignored him and focused my attention back to Director Greene and the few students behind him.

"My apologies," He said, a quick dry chuckle coming right after. "I'm the Art Director Mr Greene, but you can just call me Joshua. These people behind me are my main crew when it comes to helping the play with set design, clothing, etc."

I looked at the students behind him trying to put a name to their faces, but only a few seemed memorable. I was surprised to see Aria Harris, who was pretty known here at Stratford. We weren't friends, but we had very similar mutual friends and acquaintances. I wouldn't say Aria was what you'd call popular but a lot of people knew her, but it's more for the things she does in the bedroom if you know what I mean.

Feeling my gaze on her, she turned to me, and we exchanged a glance for only a few seconds before we both looked away and her eyes landed on Asher. Their gaze lasted longer than usual and I couldn't help but gag at the sly wink Asher sent her causing her cheeks burn a rosy red.

"Aria here is in charge of clothing. She'll be designing most of the clothing and pieces needed for the play." Joshua gestured towards the girl who waved at us sheepishly. Asher mirrored with a simply acknowledging nod and I just turned my attention elsewhere.

I don't want to be here and I don't need them thinking that I do.

"This is Toby. He'll be in charge of music and special effects." My immediately squinted at the boy. He noticed my stare on him, and quickly averted his gaze elsewhere.

I could never get a good luck of him whenever we're in the hall because he's always letting people push him around and tease him. He had a sort of hen-pecked look. His shoulders hunched together like he was trying to disappear inside himself. Even his dark eyes seemed to be attempting to retreat inside his head.

"And last but surly not least is Corbin. Our man main in set design." The last person Joshua pointed to was a boy who already had his stare on me. He observes me with the gaze as if he already knows me, that harsh judgement with no strings. I return his looks with one of my own, and he quickly waved it off with a small chuckle before darting his eyes elsewhere.

Weirdo.

"What is this play even about first of all? We getting an introduction to the crew and we don't even know what we're doing." Asher yawned, his droopy eyes falling onto Director Greene.

"I'm sorry," Director Greene tapped his own head playfully as he chuckled to himself again. "The play is a modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet called Our Unlucky Stars."

Asher's contagious yawn crept up on me and I found myself doing the same. "Romeo and Juliet? Boring." I sighed.

"Our Unlucky Stars? That's a strange title." Asher added, and I nodded in agreement causing the rest of them to look at us with sour looks.

"Actually it's ambiguous," Aria decided to speak up. "The unlucky stars is a reference to how Romeo and Juliet are the stars of the play and are unlucky with their love. It also reference to how Shakespeare called the two star-crossed lovers which basically means their love is fated to be doomed therefore unlucky."

Director Greene smiled brightly at the girl sending her a thumbs up. "Wow Aria, you really were paying attention when I was explaining."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "So what do want me to do exactly? Want me to be Romeo? I mean, I will it's just I have to see who my Juliet will be first. I don't want to be making on just anybody."

"Why do you think you're playing Romeo? If anything you're Juliet." Asher scoffed before rolling his eyes at me. "I'm Romeo, right?"

"Romeo is supposed to be handsome, idiot."

"Exactly, so I'm playing Romeo right?"

"Actually the casting for the play is already done and we already have our Romeo and Juliet picked out," Director Greene told us, and I raised my brows at him. "Headmistress Reeves informed me last minute that you two would be joining us so that's why I decided to squeeze you two in as helpers to help with clothing, set design and effects."

I gasped aloud, my face instantly frowning at his words. "You want me to work on a play and I'm not even going to be the leading star in it? That's sick!"

"Well there's really nothing left Liam." Director Greene told, and I felt like I was going to faint at his words. This is worse than suspension. I had to take a seat on the arm rest of one of the theater chairs.

"Well what's the point in having us here if we're just going to be maids? I was better off getting suspended." I started, my eyes glaring across the room to Asher, who once he seen my glare returned it with one his own. "If it wasn't for you I wouldn't even be in this predicament. You just had to start with me. I don't belong here in the theater room with these lame theater kids. I'm nothing like them."

Aria and Corbin looked at me sideways, but I shrugged off their stares. It's the truth. I'm nothing like them. Never was, never will be.

"Lame theater kids?" Corbin came forward. I removed my glare from Asher and placed it on him. "That's what I said, didn't I?"

Asher only shook his head and chuckled to himself before crossing his arms over his chest and shaking his head. "Typical Liam." He mumbled to himself. Earning a chuckle from everyone. My eyes squinted at him. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Typical Liam, just like he said," Corbin commented from the side, his eyes now locking with mine. "You've been walking around this school like you run the place for years. You think you're so high and mighty because your parents got money, and a nice house on hills. You're the epitome of privileged and don't hesitate to rub it in people's faces."

I scoffed, highly offended on his assumptions. "You don't even know me Corbin to be speaking on me like that. We've never even spoke to one another, and you think got me all figured out but you don't."

Corbin rolled his eyes. "You're Liam Claremont, the privileged mulatto who's more racially ambiguous and white passing than he claims to be."

"You're a sell out. You only hang around the privileged white kids while shitting on everyone else. Unlike you and your friends, some of us actually got into this school on a scholarship, you know for having real talent and brains, and not just relying on daddy's money."

"I like you already!" Asher beamed at Corbin, rubbing his shoulder.

Everyone laughed aloud and Director Greene tried to hush them all but I could see him cracking a sly smirk himself. Each laugh seemed to buzz around me like a fly that I can never swat. Every word, movement and breath they performed seemed to infuriate me to no end. With my fist balled and brows furrowed, I stood up from my seat catching everyone's attention.

"That's funny, huh? You guys want to know something else that funny?" I asked around, venom dripping from each word I spoke. "Raise your hand if your GPA is above a 3.9."

I was the only one to raise my hand.

"Raise your hand is you've made honor roll every year since you've been at this school?"

Again, I was the only one to raise my hand.

"Raise your hand if you've been recognized by the state for an achievement?"

Asher raised his hand and I quickly shot him a glare. "And I don't mean for getting arrested."

He slowly put his hand back down, and I smiled to myself shaking my head. "Real funny how I'm the only person in the room that's actually doing something with their life. You can say I'm this, you can say I'm that, but at the end of the day it still won't change the fact that I'm the smartest and most successful person in the room - if not, the whole damn school."

"I walk around here the way I do because I can, and I have the intellect to back it up." And with that I sat back in my seat, arms crossed, brows narrowed. I slouched in my seat, tuning out any conversation. How dare these people. How can they insult my character when they don't know anything about me?

"I'm over this!" I didn't give it a second thought as I grabbed my belongings and shot past Director Greene and his theater geeks and out the theater room.

••••
Excuse any mistakes or errors

Now why Corbin step on Parris neck like that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

523K 19.3K 38
BoyxBoy The quarterback and the cheerleader. Sound's like the perfect couple, doesn't it? So what happens when the heartthrob quarterback and the p...
127K 6.2K 41
A Highschool basketball star has only known two things his whole life. Basketball and books. His life had been solely about those two things. It's be...
561 29 10
Two souls with two different lives. Hibiki who can't feel emotions, and Kaede who don't understand love, a past that can't be forgotten and a moment...