Duplicity [h.s]

By happydays1d

"Smoking is bad, you know." The placid voice speaks up from the distant dark corner, nothing to see but a tal... More

-read me / trailer
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100

11

684K 15K 111K
By happydays1d

Three very loud bangs and the shout of my name is what fired me up from my sleep, my eyes jumping open to the ceiling of my hotel room.

"Aven Brooks!" The voice I've became familiar too sent me into a full stage of panic.

I shot upright on the bed, papers still scattered all around me and all the lights still on. I look at the clock and see it's was 5:03am.

My blood ran ice cold as I realize what I've done.

"Shit!" I shouted to myself and launched out of bed, my door still shaking from the fist banging on the other side.

I run to the door and open it up, my hands shaking. I met eyes with Sal standing there with a coffee gripped in his hand, clipboard in the other, and a look of pure rage on his face.

He was quick to notice my pyjamas.

"Were you asleep!"

"I'm so sorry I—I forgot to set my alarm. I'll be ready in five minutes." I said in maximum stress, lightheaded from jumping to my feet so fast.

"Everyone is waiting in you! We were suppose to depart four minutes ago!" He shouts back, my heart racing.

"I'm so sorry. I'll be down very quick I just got to change." I ball my fists in anxiousness.

"Hurry! You need to be downstairs in five minutes!" He storms away in a rush, going down the hallway at a quick speed.

I shut the door and sprint around my room, scooping all the papers and tossing them in one pile. I didn't finish signing everything and Sal needed those by today. I threw off my pyjama pants and my shirt, running into the bathroom to start brushing my teeth. I fill the bristles with toothpaste and start brushing dramatically while running around the room to gather more stuff just in my bra and underwear. I toss on deodorant and grab the easiest thing to throw on my body; track pants and a black sweater.

During all of this, toothpaste was nearly foaming out of my mouth so I ran back and spit real quick. I continue to brush while slipping on my sneakers, getting down on my knees and zipping up my suitcase.

This is not how I wanted to start my first morning.

I finish collecting my things all with one hand, running back to the sink and spitting toothpaste again. I quickly rinse my mouth out and tap my toothbrush on the side of the sink to get rid of the wetness. I sprint back to my bag, tossing the toothbrush in and grabbing all the papers off my bed.

I juggle the papers, my two suitcases, and my purse dangling around my hip all while heading to the door.

I didn't even put my contacts in I was in such a rush, my glasses were tucked in my purse because they kept bouncing around my face when I was running all over the room.

So now everything was blurry but I just had to get myself to the bus. Once I get in there I will clean up and put my contacts in. I looked very bad in what I was wearing, a really big sweater and baggy track pants.

My whole trip from my room to the lobby was a blur, literally. Before I knew it I was downstairs and Sal was standing impatiently in the big open area.

"Let's go!" He ordered as I ran faster.

When I got up to him in my nearly blind state he grabbed my two suitcases.

"Your bus is outside about to leave, I'll handle these." He ordered me to run some more so I did.

"I'm sorry Sal!" I shouted while running down the elegant lobby at dawn.

I got outside so the morning air hit me like A breath of fresh air. There were three tour busses all lined up in front of the hotel, only one of the doors being open.

"I'm bus number 2." I said to myself quickly while running to the bus with the open door. The white paper on the side was blurry for my bad eye sight, but it said 2.

I hoped on and met the driver who was there impatiently waiting.

"Are you the girl were waiting for?" He asked.

"Y-yes. I'm so sorry." I was so out of breath and my mouth was bone dry.

He shut the door behind me instead of answering, turning to look out the front window and honking twice. I looked at the busses in front of us he was honking at, seeing how they were starting to move.

"We're on a tight schedule young lady." The driver said.

"I'm so sorry. It was never my intention to hold anyone up." I apologize while still standing next to the steps of the bus entrance.

"Just don't do it again." He murmurs but was accepting my apology.

"I promise it won't." I nodded eagerly, still out of breath from the running and the nerves.

I click the glowing button that opened the door to the dimly lit bunks. I walked through and shut the door behind me, standing in the hallway between all the beds that had curtains covering them. We're people sleeping in there?

I was in no mood to sleep after what just happened, but all I know is I needed my inhaler bad because I still couldn't catch my breath.

I quickly shuffle my hands into my bag until I feel my inhaler. I couldn't really see due to the darkness of this area and the fact I didn't have glasses on. When I felt the awkwardly shaped object I pulled it out and brought in right to my mouth, taking a puff.

The cold chemical air opened up my throat more, letting me take in the air as I shut my eyes. I breathed deep and finally wasn't struggling anymore, tucking the inhaler back into my purse. I grab my black glasses out and put them on my face so I can at least see clearly now.

Bad start to the day.

I looked at all the closed curtain bunks, disguising whoever was inside. Sleeping was not on my list right now, I had all these papers to sign still. Sal showed me the lounge area in the back of the bus, maybe I'll just go sit there and finish signing. I don't deserve to relax and sleep after what I've caused today.

I tip toe down the narrow hall between the beds, getting to another door at the end with a glowing red button on the right. I reach up and click it, causing the door to fly open at a tremendous speed.

Noise suddenly filled my ears the minute the door opened, catching me completely off guard. I was stood in front of an actual full lounge area, four bodies filling the room.

The first eyes I met were Niall's, sitting on the couch with his hair a mess.

No way.

I then looked at everyone else and was quick to understand this was the band sitting in front of me—Liam, Louis, Niall and Harry. Why was the band here on this bus?

Why was I here on this bus?

In reflex I gasped and hit the button again, shutting the door so I was standing in the quiet dark bunk area again.

I raced back to the front of the bus, opening the other door to see the driver again. We were already on a highway.

"What bus is this?" I said in panic.

"3." He answered with his eyes on the road, my stomach dropping.

"I—I thought it was 2."

"No, this so 3."

My blind eyes lied to me. I was in such a hurry I thought I was reading the number 2 when getting on the bus. Plus this was the only one with the door open.

"But I'm suppose to be on bus 2."

"I know, but we're on a tight schedule that you made us late for. We just needed you on a bus so we could leave."

My head falls to my hands while my papers were tucked under my arm.

"Relax, the busses all go to the same place." He notices my discomforting reaction.

That's not why I'm stressed out—I was on the band bus. This morning just keeps getting worse and it's only 5:30.

I turn back around and go inside the bunk area again, shutting the door behind me so I was in the dark.

It's not like I can just get into bed, these beds aren't mine. So I had no choice but to either stand here between the beds like an idiot, cry in the bathroom, or go sit in the lounge with all of them.

I rub my eyes under my glasses, regaining my thoughts before I head towards the back door yet again. My heart starts to race and my palms sweat the closer I got to the door.

I shut my eyes and took a calming breath, clicking the button again so it opened up into the broad area where the guys sat.

All their heads turned to me again, there chatter going silent. This area must be sound proof because you can't hear them at all until the door opens.

I look at each of them in the eyes, seeing how some looked tired then the others. They were all in lounging clothes, similar to me but they all looked way better in them.

Niall has the brightest blue eyes, staring at me up and down. Liam was lounged back with his legs crossed, arms stretched on the back of the couch. Louis was there half asleep, glancing at me with tired eyes. Harry was on his phone, not even looking at me like I was invisible.

"You're on the wrong bus princess." Niall broke the silence, grinning a bit.

"I—I know. It was a total accident but now I'm—"

"Stuck here with us." Liam finished my sentence, chuckling.

"Yeah." I tuck my hair behind my ear and my glasses. "I'm sorry."

"No worries, there's room." Niall shuffles over a bit to give me a spot to sit next to him on this giant c-shaped couch they were all on.

"I don't want to intrude."

"Well where will you go then?" Niall asked.

I guess no where.

I exhale under my breath and play with the corners of my papers nervously, taking a pause before slowly walking over and sitting down in between Niall and Liam.

Niall put his arms behind my shoulders on the couch, my small bag between us while my large stack of papers sat on my lap.

I glance at Louis who was scrunched back with his hood up, eyes closed and arms crossed over his chest. He looked very tired and very much asleep. I glanced at Harry who was completely slouched back, souls of his shoes extended out on the floor and the back of his neck on the back of the couch. His phone was resting on his chest while he scrolled through it, dead silent with dark circles under his eyes.

My heart was racing sitting amongst these intimidating looking men.

"Sal gave you the stack huh?" Niall asked me to my right, looking at the hundred pages on my lap. My arm was against his side, meaning he was sitting very close.

"Yeah, I'm barely half way through."

"I'd just sign it and be done with." He shrugs, he smelled good.

"I probably should read it." I laugh.

"Why? It's like reading all the terms and conditions when you sign up for a website." Liam adds from the other side of me.

"Very true." Niall agrees with him, looking over me.

"I'll still probably read it just to be sure I'm not signing something like all my rights away." I joke, toying with the corners of the papers.

"Oh please, I've signed these papers tens of times. It basically just states that you can't ditch concerts and you just be on time with everything." He shrugs.

"Really?"

I already broke an agreement then.

"Yep." He nods, arm still around me.

"Hmm." I look down at the stack, knowing how much more I had to read.

Niall exhales a chuckle under his breath, he seemed easier to talk to out of all of them. Liam seems kinda chatty too, Louis not at all.

But the guy looked very tired, I don't blame him for being quiet.

I glance at Harry and watch his eyes still glued to his phone, he was in his own world. The dark circles under his eyes were a sign of true sleep deprivation. I noticed his hand holding his phone was vividly bruised at the knuckles. They were sliced at the tip of his knuckles, purple around the base and dark red between each knuckle.

When I looked back at his eyes I saw how he was suddenly watching me staring at his hand, my blood ran cold.

My eyes immediately flick back down to my papers on my lap, Niall continuing to speak as I pretend that didn't just happen.

Shit.

"How long are we trapped on this bus for?" Liam asks Niall.

"Few hours are least." Niall shrugs.

"Fuck sakes." He rubs his eyes. "I'm gonna go to bed then." He shakes his head, standing up.

"Take sleeping beauty with you, he's dead asleep." Niall directs to Louis sleeping there.

"I'm awake dick." Louis said with his eyes still shut.

That's the first thing I've heard him say.

"Well I'm going to bed." Liam runs his hair back, walking towards the door. "Wake me up where we're there."

Louis stands up and heads to the door too, guessing he was also going to bed. He was very quiet, but then again so am I when people aren't asking me questions. I watch the two leave the room, going to the bunks while three of us stayed.

"You better get those signed." Niall looks back at the papers. "Sal will come for those before our first gas stop."

My stomach clenches, knowing I was already overdue with these papers and if I don't have them signed by the time he wants them, this day will be much worse. I already slowed us down.

"When do you think that will be?" I adjust my glasses as they slipped down my nose.

"Probably fifteen minutes." He shrugs.

"Damnit." I shoot forward and dive into my purse to find my pen.

I had so much more things to sign and now I only have fifteen minutes?

Niall laughs at my reaction. I grab my pen and pull it out, flipping through the papers on my lap to find where I left off.

"There's a table over there." He pouts to the black table with two red booth seats.

I launch up and race over to the table, sliding in the booth and scattering the papers on the surface. I shuffle through them all to find the pages I haven't gotten too yet, not wanting to let Sal down yet again.

I just start signing what I can, quickly reading over things without really reading them.

In my peripheral vision I see Niall start getting up, my stomach staring to turn because it felt like he was starting to leave. I watched at the corner of my eye as he stood up and ran his blonde hair back, stretching in his spot.

He walks towards the door to the bunks, leaving.

I swallow the lump in my throat, knowing it was just me and Harry now. I keep my eyes down on the papers, signing away as he was sitting across the room right in my line of vision.

I tuck my hair behind my ear, readjusting my glasses while quickly skimming the fine print. My pen signs my name over and over again, reading as much as I can in such little time.

I glance over at Harry again, I couldn't help it. To my surprise he was in the same position but with a lollipop in his mouth again. Where did he get that? Does he have them tucked everywhere?

I look back down at my papers. The bus comes to a stop. I freeze as I feel the bus sound like it was being put into park.

"Shit." I cuss under my breath, looking out the window next to my head and we were in fact stopped at a gas station. I turn back down to my papers and just starts signing without reading now. I had no choice if I didn't want to screw up again today.

My pen scribbles my name over and over again. I bite my lip in intensity, scanning my eyes up and down the pages and writing next to every x. I write my name for what feels like a million times, signing all the fine print down to the last page.

Suddenly the door opens, in walking none other then Sal. He turns right to me like I was who he was looking for.

"Why are you on the wrong bus?" He crossed his arms.

"I-It was an accident I didn't have my glasses on so I thought this was the—"

"Are your papers signed?" He didn't care to listen to my excuses.

I look down at the scattered pages, quickly shoving them all together in one messy pile.

"Yes." I say quickly while shakily stacking them all together. He doesn't say anything back, just watches me as I get the papers together as quickly as possible.

I stumble them together and pick them up, turning and handling them to him from his spot. He snaps them from my hand and puts them on his clipboard.

"You read and understood everything?" He asks.

"Yes." I swallow.

Most of it.

"Okay. Get on your bus." He points to the door, making me jump to my feet. I look at Harry and see him staring at his phone still, shaking his head subtly. I know it was because of me, and I hate it.

I rush past Sal and to the door, getting out of here as quick as I can.

//

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 98.2K 43
She claimed that she could see his true colors. But the only color he ever knew were the red of his assignments. -Cover made by @Tonii
1.8M 60.9K 39
|Mature Content| ••• {Editing and Revising in progress} - Highest ranking #59 Romance #2 Chicklit #1 Diversity
150K 5.8K 92
Title : I Got Famous Making Cooking Livestreams In Space Status : Completed Author : 烦烦不烦 Raws: https://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=3484807 ▶NO...
308K 5.8K 23
"So let me get this straight. Sweet, smart little London wants me to teach her how to have sex? So that she can lose you virginity before graduation...