The Opal Witch: Prophecy (Boo...

By heater0387

It's been almost two and a half years since Lux discovered she was a witch, and all her grand plans for the f... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three: Noise
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chapter Seven

932 97 12
By heater0387

Declan

Declan waited in the courtyard with the other students and Damien. Nigel sneered openly, but with Damien present, he wisely kept his mouth shut. It was a good fact to know about the boy- that he had boundaries even he wasn't willing to push.

"So, how is this going to go? Will it be purely physical or will we be using our abilities in this fight?" Declan asked as the crowd around them parted to make way for the approaching Guardians.

"It would do no good to train only the physical," Damien replied, his gaze latching onto the man leading the Guardians. "It's a chance to learn for both of you. You'll need to be prepared for anything someone can throw at you."

Declan nodded. He'd expected that answer, but something bothered him. "Are we expecting to fight against our allies?"

His nephew tensed before turning his attention to Declan. A glimmer of something- worry, maybe even fear- sparked in the man's blue eyes. "The Fae were born from Cauldron, and from the Cauldron the Holy Grail was formed-"

"And the Holy Grail is how the Guardians gained their Talents," Declan finished. "So their powers mimic the Fae."

"Exactly. I thought you said you graduated."

"Jokes, ladies and gentlemen. The man has jokes."

Damien playfully nudged Declan as he stepped forward to greet their guests. "Calum. So glad the storm didn't stop you all from coming."

"It might have if we didn't have someone particularly skilled in Atmokinesis. You know I couldn't miss out on a chance to spar with your newest pupil," Calum replied, settling his dark eyes on Declan as he spoke.

Declan lifted his chin and studied his opponent. Physically, they were well-matched. Their frames were similar. Long and lean limbs roped with muscle. Calum might have an inch-maybe two- on Declan, which was surprising. He didn't meet many men who topped his height. 

Even with the knowledge that the man had at least one secret, supernatural power, Declan believed he was capable of beating Calum. Until he dragged his eyes up to meet his gaze. What he saw left him cold.

There was confidence- the same confidence Declan felt- in spades. In fact, he almost seemed dismissive as if a fight wasn't worth it because the effort required to win was so little. Declan wasn't offended. There was no cruelty or arrogance in Calum's expression. His assurance stemmed from some place deep inside of him- a concrete belief in his power and prowess.

But none of that would have worried Declan. He'd fought many opponents with as much self-assurance as Calum. If anything, it made him eager to unravel that mettle.

No, it was the emptiness beneath the confidence. Only a man who believed he had nothing to lose would look so hollow. Those were the most dangerous enemies because there was nothing they wouldn't do to win.

"Calum Knight," the man said, extending his hand to Declan. The scar running from his eyebrow across his nose bunched as he smiled. "I've heard a lot about you."

"I suppose waking up from a hundred year coma is newsworthy," Declan replied, stopping himself from adding that he'd heard nothing about the Guardian before this morning. And now, he really wished he'd had time to gather a bit more intel on his opponent. Like what darkness hid behind the forced smile on his face.

Declan's comment didn't earn the laugh he expected. Instead, Calum nodded grimly and brushed a strand of almost black hair out of his face. "There aren't many things that surprise Guardians, but hearing that caught us off guard. There are those among us who have the Sight, and it's been said your awakening signals the beginning of the next war."

His words acted like a match to fuse, and all around them whispers erupted, growing louder with each passing second. Damien sighed and held up his hand. The effect was immediate. Everyone but Nigel went silent.

"But sir," the sorcerer in training snapped, "this just proves Declan should be stripped of his power. He's a danger."

"Or," Calum growled, storming across the courtyard and stopping in front of Nigel. "He'll be a key player in what's to come, and you may very well survive because he's here."

Nigel swallowed and looked down. His friends shuffled away from him, putting as much distance as possible between themselves and the livid Guardian.

The Guardian turned to face Declan and Damien, continuing to speak in the same harsh tone. "This is the reason we asked for this training session to come together so quickly. Declan waking was only the first sign. I just returned from up north where I visited with the Orion Pack Alpha."

"Werewolves?" Declan worked hard to hide his distaste for the creatures. Werewolves were not like other shifters. They were once druids- brothers to sorcerers and protectors of the natural world. Only, they turned on their calling and perverted the blessing bestowed upon them by the Moon Goddess. Their punishment was to share their bodies with the nature and form of a wolf.

"I suppose you are from a time where the werewolves were the outsiders of the supernatural world," Calum said, catching Declan's grimace despite his attempts to hide it. "But they've changed under the leadership of Raff Wellington, and they fought in the wars against Morgan le Fae before. I have reason to believe the Fae Queen is targeting the wolves. For what purpose, we're not certain yet, but it's further proof she plans to make a move sooner rather than later."

"You know that we will stand at your side when the time comes." Damien crossed his arms, a pensive look on his face. "But I get the feeling you're implying that you don't think we're ready."

A stocky redheaded man separated himself from the group of Guardians. There was something oddly familiar about him, but Declan was certain he'd never met him before. Before today he'd only met three Guardians- two from his days at school and Alina.

"Don't take our presence here as an insult," the redhead said, his voice as gruff as his form, "Calum and I fought in the last war. We know what to expect, and while your people would be powerful allies in any other fight, they won't be in this one without proper preparation."

"The Fae who follow Morgan will not fight with honor or fairness, and if she manages to open the Gates to the Underworld-" Calum paused and gave Declan a knowing look- "the creatures she unleashes will fight like animals. They've been caged for a millennia, and every manner of evil resides there. Fae. Werewolves. Witches. Sorcerers. Angels."

"Excuse me," Nigel proclaimed, "are you claiming some of our people were traitors in the war?"

"There are traitors everywhere. Probably in this very room." Now, the knowing look settled on Nigel, and the boy hunkered beneath the force of the Guardian's displeasure. "So, shall we begin?"

Damien clapped a hand on Declan's shoulder, and everyone but Calum and Declan stepped backward, forming a circle around the opponents. The two men squared off, slipping smoothly into fighting stances. Neither one jumped into the offensive, choosing to take a moment to examine the other for signs of weakness.

Of course, a real battle wouldn't allow for such formalities, but this was less about winning and more about learning. Not that he wouldn't try to win, Declan thought as he whispered the spell to unfurl his cestuses. Calum responded with an arched brow and an excited grin. Perhaps, the man thought Declan had given away a secret strength, but he'd been fighting with the cestuses for so long they were almost an extension of himself. He still had plenty of tricks up his sleeve- and around his neck for that matter.

Calum, for his part, had given no clue as to what his Talents were. There would be more than one. Declan was certain of that. If the man had fought in the first rebellion, his bloodline was purer than most. He could be a son of one of the Knights- perhaps a grandson. Who knew what power he had at his disposal?

The first swing came from the Guardian. He shifted back on his right heel, cluing Declan in to his intentions before his arm moved forward. He might have ducked it easily if not for the sudden shove against his back, pushing him directly into the path of the hit. Just before bone crunched against bone, he twisted, fighting against the strange hold on his body and cast a spell. The necklace at his throat heated, and Declan dropped to his knees just as Calum's knuckles struck a wall of solid air.

"The hell?" Calum growled. The grin from earlier returned, this time bigger and broader. "So the rumors are true."

"Telekinesis, I'm guessing?" Declan asked, ignoring the man's comment. "Useful and hard to detect."

"Comes in handy, I'll admit."

"Oh, I can imagine," Declan responded, using the power he shared with Lux to put on little telekinetic show of his own.

He didn't expect to catch Calum off guard. After all, as a skilled warrior, he would know how to fight with and against his own power, which is exactly what Declan wanted to see. He'd gotten lucky the first time, but he was sure the Guardian was holding back. If he'd lashed out with all his power, he wouldn't have been able to escape the hit.

The tendril of power pushed out, going wide and low, aiming for Calum's feet while Declan charged forward. He jabbed left then right, yanking back on the strand the moment it touched Calum's ankles. To his surprise, Calum went backward, but his internal celebration was short lived.

The Guardian tucked his knees to his chest, back flipping with ease and landing on his feet. Declan corrected his balance now that he was left punching air, only managing to get firm footing just as Calum charged and drove his head into Declan's middle.

With an oomph, they went to the ground. Both punched and bucked as they rolled, trying to gain the upper hand. When Declan came up on top, he locked his knees around Calum's hip and raised his arm for a blow.

But a strange sensation zipped through him, turning his thoughts hazy. He dropped his arm, not even registering the strike across his jaw. The world moved in slow motion as he fell, and when his head bounced against the stones, memories burst bright before his eyes like fireworks. Alina in Charms. Alina at the Godelieve Estate. Alina standing in the grove as they hid the Grail. One after another, every moment he ever spent with the Guardian sped through his mind, and he mouthed her name as Damien and Calum leaned over him.

Then it was gone. All of it, and he was left staring at the men above him trying to figure out what happened. And why Calum was the color of paste.

"Declan, are you okay?" Damien asked, helping him sit up.

He rubbed his jaw and blinked. "I'm fine. I don't know what just happened."

Calum grabbed his shoulder. "Where did you hear that name?"

"What name?"

"Alina. I swore you were mouthing her name."

"I'm sorry. I don't know anyone with that name."

"But-"

The redheaded man came over and took Calum to the side. Whatever he said only seemed to agitate Calum more. Eventually, he shoved his friend and exited the courtyard, his booted steps echoing through the air long after he disappeared from sight.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Damien asked again once he helped Declan to his feet. They hobbled to a bench while one of the students fetched water at Damien's instruction.

"I'm fine. Besides the nasty bruise I'm going to have. Did you see what happened?"

"It's like one minute you were present, and then you turned inward. You really don't feel any different?"

He rubbed his head. Truthfully, there was a difference. An impression, or awareness, that he'd lost something. But it was like trying to remember the details of a dream- the harder he tried to hold onto them, the faster they slipped away. His nephew peered into his eyes, a frown twisting his lips.

"Go ahead and say what's on your mind," Declan muttered.

"We'll talk about it later. Not where anyone can hear."

"Fine. Tonight. For now, let's get back to business." Rising to his feet, he looked at the remaining Guardians. "Who's next?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 219 29
*** This is book two in a series. YOU MUST READ The Prophecy first*** Ariella's life had changed drastically in the last month. Each day seemed to br...
141K 7.6K 41
Meredith had always known about magic. Her family was magic, one of the most powerful mage lines out there. Having lost her parents to all the fighti...
18K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
867 72 32
Ariana Braxton a twenty year old witch discontented and depressed with all that traumatic things going on in her city Eroba. On the other hand Kevin...