the silence

By theredviolin

an up and coming violinist in brisbane, eddy chen seemingly has everything right where he wants it. he's got... More

read first.
one. (e)
two. (b)
three. (e)
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty-one.
twenty-two.
twenty-three.
twenty-four.
twenty-five.
twenty-seven.
twenty-eight.
twenty-nine.
thirty.
thirty-one.
thirty-two.
thirty-three.
thirty-four.
thirty-five.
thirty-six.
thirty-seven.
thirty-eight.
thirty-nine.
bonus: a surprise for brett

twenty-six.

2.3K 107 20
By theredviolin

the idea that jamie would have to return home to brisbane had not crossed brett's mind until that morning. realization smacked him so hard that it woke him up and he sat straight up in bed, jolting eddy awake, too.

"what's wrong?" eddy asked frantically, looking his boyfriend up and down for any sign of pain or injury. brett did not reply. he wasn't in the mood for talking. instead, he climbed out of bed and began to get dressed silently. confusion was clear on eddy's face as he watched the smaller boy, scratching the back of his neck.

"brett?" the taller boy sighed. nothing. brett continued to pull his clothes on (which weren't even his, they were eddy's) without even making eye contact. he wanted to go see jamie and he wanted to do it now.

    "baby," eddy said, exasperated. brett finally stopped and turned to face him.

"jamie," he said simply before walking to the kitchen.

"ah," eddy nodded.

figuring out brett's one word answers and strange mannerisms was somewhat of a science. he was both very predictable and the exact opposite, making him a perfect storm for wild emotions. but eddy didn't mind. he understood that all of brett's actions, no matter how strange, had underlying reasons and explanations. it was just a part of loving him. and eddy would always love him.

    the taller boy pulled on a pair of pants before following brett into the kitchen, watching him intently as he prepared himself a bowl of cereal.

    "hungry?" brett asked without looking up from what he was doing. eddy shook his head.

    "you will be later if you don't eat," the older boy replied. slightly amused, eddy smiled and began to fix himself food as well.

    the two of them ate in comfortable silence, listening to the soft pattering of the rain on the windows and roof of eddy's large house. it was relatively early in the morning and eddy silently wished the two of them could go back to sleep for at least a few more hours, but he knew it would be unwise to mention the idea. brett was set on going to see jamie and eddy knew it would be ridiculous of him to protest.

after they finished their small breakfast, brett pulled his phone out of his pocket and called his best friend.

"hey, babe, what's up?" jamie answered.

"where are you?"

"i'm still in the hospital, love. i'm getting discharged later today."

"are you going home with nicolas and your dad?"

the silence that followed served as an answer. brett nodded and bit down hard on the inside of his cheek. he had known that jamie would have to go home sometime, but that didn't make it hurt any less.

"i'm sorry, bretty. i wouldn't leave you if i didn't have to," jamie said. tears burned brett's eyes and eddy hugged him gently, only having half an idea of what was going on.

"i know. i'm going to come see you now, okay? is that okay?" brett sniffled, leaning into his boyfriend's embrace. eddy rubbed his back slowly.

"of course it's okay. stay safe, sweetheart. i'll see you soon."

"i love you."

"i love you, too. bye,"

"bye, love."

a deep sigh escaped brett's lips as he dropped his hand from his ear, wrapping his arms around eddy's waist. the two violinists stood there for what felt like an eternity, swaying back and forth.

    "alright," brett said after awhile, "let's go."

    eddy got dressed and the two boys pulled apart from the embrace and made their way out to eddy's car, their hands finding each other somewhere along the way. soft raindrops pelted their shoulders and the tops of their heads as they walked along the uncovered driveway and climbed into the vehicle to avoid the rain, brett's soft laughter at eddy's annoyance drifting through the humid air. the smaller boy loved the rain, but his partner did not. brett settled himself in the car and began staring at the small drops of water and condensation on the window, tracing their pathways with his fingertip. rain had always been beautiful to him.

    as rain was beautiful to brett, brett was beautiful to eddy. the taller man found himself sitting in the driver's seat in awe of the way brett's eyes looked against the gray background of the sky. his hair was beginning to get somewhat long and his black bangs fell perfectly against his milky skin, framing his face and taking eddy's breath away. brett was completely oblivious to his boyfriend's staring until the realization that they were sitting still hit him and he frowned, turning to look at the man beside him.

    "what?" he asked. eddy smiled slightly and shook his head.

    "you are absolutely gorgeous," he shrugged. a pink tint spread from the center of brett's face all the way to his neck and the tips of his ears, his hands immediately raising up to hide it.

    "n-no. we need to go," he stammered, trying to change the subject. eddy didn't like his disagreement with the compliment but knew better than to argue. self esteem was not something brett had ever really possessed and eddy knew that. he figured arguing with him and trying to force him to accept the compliment would only upset him.

    "okay, beautiful," eddy nodded. brett shot him a look but didn't protest this time, silenced by the other boy's hand on his thigh after he started the car.

    the drive was quiet and easy, seeing as it was raining and traffic was light. brett occupied himself by playing with eddy's hand and taking pictures of him as he drove. he thought eddy looked beautiful, too. the taller boy's cheeks were red in half of the pictures because no one ever really took random photos of him before and it put butterflies in his stomach. it made him feel appreciated and his body wasn't quite sure how to react so such a feeling, so it got embarrassed.

    to brett's dismay, they found out upon arrival that jamie would be leaving in an hour. which meant he could head home in an hour. brett wrapped his arms and legs around jamie and refused to let go for the entirety of that time period, listening to eddy and nicolas and jamie and his father talk the entire time. he didn't feel like talking. there was too much sadness for words.

    even after the hour passed, letting go of jamie was not something brett was up for. the tall man carried his best friend with him to the exit and out to the car before saying anything about his position.

    "bretty, you—"

    "no."

    brett knew exactly what jamie was going to say. he only tightened his grip and everyone else watched nervously as jamie took a deep breath, rubbing his back. nicolas put his arm on jamie's and sighed sadly. he and brett were good friends, too, and he hated to see the smaller boy upset.

    "can you guys give us a minute? i want to talk to him alone," jamie sighed, running his hand lazily through brett's hair. the other men nodded and went to stand by eddy's car, having a conversation about something entirely different to distract themselves. nicolas and jamie's father really liked eddy.

    "baby," jamie began, "i have to go home."

    "i don't want you to," brett whimpered, shaking his head and grabbing fistfuls of his best friend's t shirt. the taller man nodded.

    "i know. and i don't want to leave you either, but i can't stay in sydney forever. it's going to be okay. you can still call me whenever and i'll always answer you. we were doing good before i came to see you, remember? it'll be just like that."

    "you promise?" brett sniffled, putting his legs down but not letting go of jamie's neck. his feet didn't touch the ground.

    "i promise, sweetheart. i'm still your best friend no matter where i am, yeah?"

    "yeah."

    "i thought so. and now you've got eddy to help you, too, right?" jamie offered, rubbing brett's back. brett perked up at the mention of his boyfriend's name and sighed deeply. he nodded and let go of jamie completely. they stood close to each other, fingers intertwined.

    "i'm gonna miss you, brettybabe," the taller man chuckled, tears stinging the back of his eyes. he blinked them away and kissed brett's forehead.

    "i'll miss you more."

    the two hugged once more before exchanging "i love you"s and pulling apart, headed their separate ways. eddy held brett by the waist as jamie and the two other men drove away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 4.2K 21
alternate universe in which eddy is an up and coming soloist, and brett is a concertmaster for the sydney symphony, with a job at a coffee shop on th...
77.8K 2.7K 40
"I will remember you, will you remember me?" A fanfiction of Twoset Violin. Brett x Eddy. Breddy Love. --- Brett Yang has been struggling with Asian...
26.3K 1.4K 105
What is Eddy, a shy introvert musician like himself, going to do with his crush for a playboy like Brett? And what is his story behind his attitude...
175K 3.6K 22
Classical music fans all know and love Brett and Eddy, the hosts of the TwoSetViolin channel on YouTube. There's never one without the other, they're...