Hard To Love (Noctis X Prompt...

By MajesticTeagle

Prompto has always been striving to mold himself into the best person he's always wanted to be. He's never ha... More

1: Dreams
3: Old Times
4: What Never Was Can Be
5: Extended Hand
6: Something To Consider
7: Heartache
8: The Life of a Working Artist
9: Under Pressure
10: A Change of Pace
11: Heavenly
12: Those Eyes
13: Drinks On Me!
14: Morning After
15: A New Path
16: Birthday Blues
17: Want
18: The Beginning (END)

2: A Prince's Day

1K 25 6
By MajesticTeagle

"Noctis, you can't just walk out on me like that!" A deep booming voice bellows through the phone speaker. "You're meant to be training here in preparation for when you are crowned King!"

Another day, another life lesson that the Prince of Lucis never asked for. The young Prince runs a frustrated hand through his dark as night hair before slipping his hand into the pocket of his jeans. It's been about 5 minutes since this phonecall begun, and 5 minutes has flown past with Prince Noctis being bored out of his mind.

"You know your schedule so why would you bail? If I have to get Iggy involved you know how disappointed he'll be! What about your father?! Start thinking about others instead of yourself!"

Noctis groans in annoyance. His personal trainer just had to bring out the disappointed card. The one card that actually bothers Noctis.

"I do think of others, Gladio," Noctis attempts to defend himself but is cut off as the angry man over the phone becomes more dramatic and angrier at the words. Thus begins Gladio's speech on how Noctis is an irresponsible, self centered Prince who's a spoilt little brat.

Noctis hangs up. He doesn't have to deal with Gladio's attitude and he won't. For years Noctis has been thinking of others and hiding away his own wishes in order to please those around him. He's stuck to his stupid schedule for years, and it's time for Noctis to give himself some freedom for once. Honestly, he's sick of all these expectations on him to be this perfect public figure. Noctis knows he isn't that. Perfect. Being royalty had its perks, but the downsides are far too great for Noctis to even count. He's so very restricted in everything he does. He must have a guard, must have strict lessons, training for who knows what, and his father is always nagging at him to maintain his image as the Prince of the Crown City. Noctis couldn't care less about his image.

All he wants to do is take a five minute break from his royal duties and roam about the City freely without the harassment of his personal trainer and Royal advisor. It doesn't matter if they kick his ass when he returns. He'd much rather have that than to be locked away again and burdened with all the responsibilities of being a Prince.

Sighing, Noctis slips his phone into his pocket and let's his eyes wander the busy city. He pulls his jacket around his shoulders and rubs his arms to gain heat from the cold winter air. Every time he walks in the city he stares in wonder at the tall buildings and opening street vendors. Never has Noctis had a hot dog from a street vendor, but he has always wanted the pleasure.

He kicks his foot against the concrete and walks past the hot dog vendor knowing that currently his funds are suspended. His negligence to his duties caused that mishap. Does Noctis regret it? No. But he should. He would be more agreeable if he wasn't overshadowed all the time by his father. He's 21 and yet his father still controls a majority of his life.

The more Noctis walks the more he realises how much he wants to be free from the burdens of royalty, even if it's just for a day. To be able to do what he wants for a change rather than let people decide where he goes, what he eats, what he wears and how his hair should be done. Only the comfort of his bedroom gives him any sort of solitude, where he can truly be who he wants to be.

Admittedly, Noctis hasn't really figured out what he wants to be... there's only so much you can do cramped in a room for hours on end. Eventually he gets bored and just wants to roam the streets. Today was the last straw of being held captive. He basically had no choice but to sneak out and embrace what the Crown City has to offer.

So far, he likes it.

Noctis' journey leads him down a random street, a street that's quieter than the main road that has hundreds of vehicles travelling to and fro. In this particular street he notices a couple of clothing stores and admires the display of mannequins wearing the newest trend. Noctis even notices some clothes he might be interested in for himself. Nothing compared to what he currently owns in his own wardrobe, mostly picked out by either his advisor or his father.

Sighing, he moves in to look at the shoe store, then the ice cream parlour. He hasn't had ice cream in ages... Not since he was a little kid. Those were the days...

"Hey! It's Prince Noctis!" Someone screams in a high pitched annoying voice. Noctis tenses as he turns to confront the source. A teenaged girl, holding her face in awe as she blushes furiously.

"Oh boy..." Noctis widens his eyes as the girl summons more and more people. A crowd gathers before Noctis dubs this the time where he should probably run for the hills. His feet move before the girls begin running, but as they see their Prince dash off, the girls make their move. Screams echo down the streets and it seems as if more and more people keep piling up.

Noctis feels his heart race in panic. Is this why he was kept isolated in the palace?! He now understands completely. This is insane!

Noctis tries to scan his surroundings as he runs for his life, being chased by hundreds of loyal followers. He spots a corner shop and makes an attempt to reach the store. He turns the corner and hides in the open doorway as the wave of girls fly past him in a blur.

A few minutes pass but Noctis remains hidden in that doorway, just in case any other girls still linger around the area. When all seems quiet, Noctis finally leaves the safety of the doorway to inspect his surroundings. Clear as far as the eyes can see. The group must have dispersed and given up hope, or so Noctis hopes. Sighing in relief, Noctis begins his walk back down the street. It has been an hour already. Maybe Noctis should turn back and head towards the palace. By this time surely his father would be wondering where he is and what he's up to, like the nosy father he is. Noctis is more surprised Ignis, his royal advisor, hasn't been sent to pick him up yet. It's only a matter of time before that happens, so in the mean time Noctis shall keep exploring this beautiful city he's meant to rule some day.

Just as he is about to leave, he hears the sound of music floating in the air. The sudden sound catching his immediate attention has him trailing towards the source. Curious, Noctis follows the singing that leads towards a small pub. It's not exactly in the high spectrum of elegance, but nonetheless, his curiosity still remaining strong, he enters the building. As soon as he steps inside he's greeted with a small hallway that leads directly to another door, the singing coming from just behind it.

It's dark. As soon as Noctis shuts the door he came through, the entire little hallway darkens dramatically. It'd be pitch black if not for the dim light coming from a singular light bulb. The Prince halts. He's having second thoughts about being here. What if there's crooks behind the door? Or there's a poker game hosted by mob bosses, meaning that if he interrupted them they'd immediately bring a gun to the battle?

Although Noctis is more than capable of taking care of himself in a fight, he doesn't want to risk ruining a perfectly good poker game...

Or maybe he's just overthinking it. It's a pub. A bar with live entertainment. A place where people relax and get a drink, occasionally a meal, so what's the big deal?

The singing cease, the music fading out as the song comes to a close. Noctis curses himself. He really wanted to listen. Maybe the set isn't over just yet, so Noctis still has a chance to sit for a little while.

Ignoring any thoughts of the mafia and poker games, Noctis finally opens the door to the secluded pub. The floor is a dark red carpet, tables are placed here and there with a few people sitting and chatting. A bar is positioned to the far left and to the far right, a small stage.

Instruments are set up and for the mean time being left alone. Whoever was singing before is no longer performing, and what really ruins Noctis' day is that he isn't sure whether or not it's just for a brief break or if that was the final show for the day.

It'd be pointless to stay if there's no show. That's the soul reason Noctis even considered entering this dark and gloomy place. Frowning in disappointment, Noctis makes a final decision to check the place out anyway. He walks deeper into the establishment, walking closer to the bar where a blonde man talks to the bartender, his voice high and excited.

"Are you serious?!" The blonde gasps as Noctis sits a few chairs away.

"Yes, laddy. It's not decided when but give it a few weeks, anything is possible."

"This could be my chance! Do you think I have a shot?"

The bartender chuckles warmly at the excited young man. "Anything is possible. Dream big, kiddo. Now get out there!"

"Yes sir!" The blonde salutes the bartender and dashes through the various tables scattered around the pub. Heading right towards the stage. Noctis sits up straight as he sees the blonde male set up the various instruments. A few others enter the stage area and pick up the plethora of instruments that the blonde tuned single handedly by himself.

If this is meant to be a band, why is the blonde one doing all the work. Maybe he's just the technician, making sure all the gear is in check for the actual band.

That thought goes right out the window when the blonde sits himself down at the piano, a microphone resting on a stand positioned near his lips. Then, with a crack of the blondes knuckles, he begins to play. The band follows his lead, a dramatic start before everything dies down and only the piano plays, and the small beat of the drums.  The piano plays on softly, a very sombre mood being created as the already dim lights dim even more and only the lights decorating the small stage light up the area.

Noctis leans on the bench in awe as the blonde man plays. Looking at the man, Noctis would never pick him as a musician. He looks more like skater kid if he had to be honest. Red tank top, tight skinny jeans with suspenders hanging loosely off of them. Professional may not be the word Noctis is looking for, but to say the least, the blonde has talent. He plays as if he's seen a thousand orchestras, as if he's been playing since the time he was born.

Then Noctis feels his heart burst with admiration and awe. The music takes a turn as the boy leans closer to the microphone and begins to sing. The words, the tones, the sounds... each piece has a part to play and the more Noctis listens the more he feels as if he's no longer in the bar. There's no one else around him. It's just him, and the blonde singer.

He sings so softly yet his words are so strong. There's pain behind the words, so much emotion that Noctis can barely comprehend it. It's beautiful. The way his lips form the words, the way he sings in such a way that Noctis isn't sure whether he's putting on an act or if he really feels the way the song plays.

He sits awestruck with the talented pub singer. Then he reaches the chorus and Noctis feels the air he was breathing suddenly disappear. It's taken away as the blonde man sings with all his heart.

'Let the sky fall, as it crumbles, we will stand tall, and face it all, together!'

Absolutely magnificent. Noctis holds onto the bench for dear life as his eyes don't move away from the singer, his heart pounding heavily in his chest, feeling everything the song permits. The angel on stage sings his heart out and the music accompanies him. It's clear that it isn't a band, it's only him. The blonde man. He's the only one. He's the star of this one man show, and he's absolutely astounding!

Noctis believes he should be playing in bigger venues crowded by thousands, millions of people! He deserved it for the amount of talent he possesses.

"Brilliant, isn't he, your highness?" The bartender says with a light chuckle as the performance comes to a close. Applause erupts in the small pub, a few whistles here and there, a standing ovation. Noctis claps along as well, blown away by the intensity of that one man who bows in thanks.

"Even that seems like an understatement," Noctis releases a heavy breath. Truly, that performance was amazing.

"Prompto is his name. Prompto Argentum," The bartender informs as he drags a wet cloth across the bench. "He's been performing here for a while now, never fails to amaze the audience."

"Prompto, huh?" Noctis turns his head towards the young singer. The others have left the instruments behind and the blonde, apparently named Prompto, stays to pack up everything by himself. It seems a little unfair on him, yet the boy doesn't seem dissatisfied with the arrangement.

"Yep. The best thing that's happened to this dainty little place. Thanks to him we've gotten quite a few regulars," the man behind the bar goes on, a fond smile on his lips. "He really brightens the place up."

"What's with the other people? Are they in the band or something?" Noctis asks, turning his attention away from the boy for a moment.

"They're a part of the pub's band, yes. Our old orchestra. Now they just help the kid out whenever he requires it."

Noctis hums in understanding. Now it's understandable why Prompto is the centre of attention, and why wouldn't he be? That was an outstanding performance.

Prompto... The name itself rings a bell as well, although Noctis isn't certain where he has heard it before. It's familiar, and yet somehow he just can't place his finger on it. It's possible he may have heard the name being said by the palace guards or even his father, as they seem to have more freedom than Noctis does.

Disregarding that, Noctis decides he should introduce himself. A masterpiece performance like that needs to be congratulated in person, and who wouldn't be excited about being praised by the Prince? Not that being a Prince has anything to do with it. Noctis feels that it's right within his heart to compliment the young blonde, as if it's his duty as an audience member.

Abandoning the chair he was seated on, Noctis makes his way through the crowd that moves about, some people getting drinks, others moving towards the bistro part of the Pub for a meal. It doesn't take long before Noctis is standing directly in front of the stage, Prompto's back turned towards him as the blonde busily clips cases closed and hastily clears up his things.

Noctis doesn't know what to stay. He just stands there like a limp noodle unsure how to approach the young musician. He clears his throat once. It does nothing as Prompto keeps stuffing music sheets in folders, slinging a back pack over his shoulder.

Then the blonde man stops and stares at the small stage. Then he turns his head towards the direction his fellow musicians walked off. Then back to the instruments.

"Shit..." The blonde curses before he sighs heavily and begins picking a few of the cases. By himself. There's still more to collect and if Noctis is as good at analysing as he thinks he is, Prompto definitely needs help.

"Want me to carry something for you?" Noctis asks.

Prompto whips his head towards Noctis in a flash. What strikes Noctis' heart first are those piercing blue eyes, so bright and vibrant that, much like his voice, it takes his breath away. His throat hitches as Prompto stares him up and down with an uncertain frown. He looks surprised. Is it because he's the Prince? Noctis really hopes that his royal lining isn't the problem here...

"No. I'm fine, thanks," Prompto turns him away and proceeds to walk away with the several instruments bunched in his arms. Noctis frowns. As much as the boy thinks he can handle it, Noctis can see his grip loosening on the handles, and that's one step away from danger.

"Here!" Noctis follows after and snags a guitar that was about to fall from Prompto's grasp. "You can't carry that all by yourself."

"Why do you care," Prompto mutters under his breath. Did Noctis hear that right? It's not so much the words he said, but the way he said it. With distaste. Which puzzles Noctis, as from what he saw at the bar beforehand, the man seemed so genuine.

Maybe he's in a sour mood... Or something happened to make the blonde treat him the way he is. Or, and Noctis would hate if this is the case, Prompto sees him as a crazy fan. Sure, Noctis thoroughly enjoyed the performance, but that doesn't mean he's going to follow him around everywhere! Well, technically he's following Prompto now, but that's totally different. He's helping, that's all.

"Good performance out there, by the way," Noctis says as he follows Prompto through a door to outside world. A small yellow car awaits there in an alleyway, a trailer hooked up to the back. Prompto begins loading the instruments into the trailer and Noctis assists, placing his one instrument in the back.

"You liked it?" Prompto asks, his voice a little lighter than before, yet still icy. He sounds disinterested, and Noctis isn't sure whether the boy is being rude or is just tired from belting his lungs out. "Wasn't aware the Prince, of all people, cared about a small pub performance."

No, okay, that was definitely a rude remark. Prompto has a problem with him. But they have only met today, how could Noctis have done something wrong already? At what point did he make a wrong move?

"Well... I've always wanted to see a show before, but this is the first time I've even been able to be outside by myself." Noctis admits. Prompto spares him an uncertain glance as he pulls a tarp over the trailer. Noctis grabs the other end, without Prompto's permission, and helps the blonde boy tie the tarp down to the edges.

"First show?" Prompto asks.

"For me, yeah."

"I see... and you liked it."

"It was amazing," Noctis replies honestly. "You have a lot of emotion in your voice."

Prompto cracks a small smile at that, but he erases it before Noctis can fully take it in. It only confuses the Prince even more. Watching Prompto tense from his compliments, the feeling of being disliked becoming stronger, Noctis just wants to understand why Prompto has such a big problem with him.

Prompto opens his car door, but before he goes in, Noctis stops him.

"I'm getting this feeling you don't like me very much..."

Prompto stands still for a moment, hands tapping at the roof of his small yellow car in an uneven pattern, one gently hitting the car door he has opened. He sighs heavily and runs one of the hands through his bright blonde hair.

"You have no idea who I am, do you." Prompto says to him.

It wasn't a question, yet Noctis feels as if he has to answer. The blank look the Prince gives Prompto makes the blonde snort in disbelief. A brief look of consideration takes hold of the blonde's features. A sudden dread fills the pit of Noctis' stomach. The Prince knows the boy's name is familiar to him, but he can't figure out where he knows it from. Now that Prompto has questioned Noctis' memory of him, there definitely must have been a past between them.

But what?

Prompto sighs before giving the Prince a small, sad smile.

"Prompto Argentum. Nice to meet you," Prompto says with a smile, holding out his hand to shake. A saddened smile, but a smile nonetheless. Noctis takes Prompto's hand, shaking it firmly.

"Nice to meet you, Prompto, I-"

"You're Prince Noctis. You don't need to introduce yourself." Prompto lightly chuckles. 

Noctis finds himself smiling back at the blonde. The mood suddenly feels a lot lighter, but to begin with Noctis is still unsure of why it was so tense beforehand. Obviously the two of them have met before, but when, where, and what did Noctis do to upset Prompto?

"Maybe I'll see you around, Noct," Prompto gently nudges the Prince in a playful manner, the Prince stunned at the new nickname he's recieved. Then without another word, Prompto enters his car and starts the engine.

As the yellow car drives off from Noctis' vision, the Prince can't help but feel as if that interaction went rather all. Despite all the negative emotions beforehand, eventually Prompto seemed to come around and push away whatever it was that was bothering him.

There's something about Prompto that lingers within Noctis' mind. He isn't too sure what it is yet... but if this is where Prompto performs on a daily basis, maybe Noctis will have a chance to find out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.9K 860 29
As the youngest member of the Kingsglaive, your job has always been relatively simple, even if your life hasn't been. You are - as the name of the o...
Listen By 幸せ

Fanfiction

139K 5K 55
You haven't been one to open up to people well no matter who they are, not since you lost your family to Niflheim invading your home. How your shy an...
40.6K 1.2K 9
Bound by the royal blood that runs through his veins, Prince Noctis Lucis Caelum is expected to take responsibilities and make sacrifices for the bet...
1.2K 27 2
Through countless small attempts to show his attraction towards Noctis, nothing has caught the prince's attention. With the continuation of their jou...