The Backup Singer - A Matty H...

By subsectionss

// Billie's always been in the background, but she's always wanted to sing. That's why when the perfect job c... More

Introduction
Part 1 - The Call
Part 2 - The Audition
Part 3 - The Arcade
Part 4 - Rehearsals
Part 5 - The Coffee Shop
Part 6 - Goodnight
Part 7 - Pre-Gig Rituals
Part 8 - The Gig
Part 9 - She Just Left
Part 10 - Of All Names
Part 11 - An Interesting Rehearsal
Part 12 - Explanations
Part 13 - Not That Simple
Part 14 - Technicalities
Part 15 - Toxic
Part 16 - Big Sleep
Part 17 - Terrible At Love
Part 18 - Take Care Of Him
Part 19 - Numbness
Part 20 - Ignorance Is Bliss
Part 21 - Safe And Sound
Part 22 - The Surprise
Part 23 - Cheesy and Pretentious
Part 24 - Stay
Part 25 - Intoxicating
Part 26 - Wyatt And Miranda
Part 27 - Ice Cream Delivered
Part 28 - Cold Shoulder
Part 29 - Hold The Door
Part 30 - Speaker
Part 31 - Third Wheeling
Part 32 - Getting Ready Is No Laughing Matter
Part 33 - What Does This Make Us?
Part 34 - Officially
Part 36 - I Just Need To Think
Part 37 - I Will Not Hesitate To Hunt You Down
Part 38 - Alone
Part 39 - Revelations
Part 40 - We're Home
Epilogue
End Note

Part 35 - Medicine

2.2K 52 9
By subsectionss

*Billie's POV*

I woke up the next day like the blissful usual, in Matty's arms. I loved saying that was how things usually went in my life, waking up next to him, happily.
He had obviously woken up before me because his eyes were open and he was staring at the cream ceiling, deep in thought. He hadn't even noticed I had woken up. His arm was under my pillow and his other hand was holding mine. I squeezed his hand and he squeezed back, still not coming out of his trance. His mind was completely devoted to whatever it was that he was thinking about. His forehead was creased, he really was thinking.
He closed his eyes for a second, nodding his head, then his eyes flew open.
"That's it!" He cried. He scrambled out of bed, grabbing his phone.
"Matty? What's going on?" I asked, but he was already out the door. I sighed, got up out of bed and followed him out. I could see him searching the apartment for a pen and paper, dialling a number on his phone to call.
"Matty. What the hell is going on?" I asked, grabbing his wrists before he could leave again. He exhaled, relaxing.
"What is going on?" I repeated.
"I've had this idea in my head for weeks, and now it's just come together and I need to meld it happen." He explained quickly.
"What is it?" I asked, fiddling with my golden chain necklace. Habit.
"It's a song. I'm sorry babe I really need to go and get George and the others and start writing this all down before I lose it." He said, kissing me quickly and leaving the apartment.
"Okay. Bye." I said, shocked. I watched the door close behind him.
I wondered what he was up to.

*Matty's POV*

I burst into George's flat. He was sitting on his couch watching some boring morning news show.
"George!" I yelled.
"Matty!" He yelled back, smirking.
"I have it," I said. "I have the song. It's finally come together." George grinned.
"I'll call the guys. Let's get this written down." He said, dialling Adam and Ross' number.
Twenty minutes later, all the boys were in George's flat, sitting in a circle on the floor of his living room.
"So I've had this song in my head for weeks. I've written down some lines on scraps of packets and the backs of fag packets, but I think I'll remember it all - if not you have to help me." I laughed. The boys nodded. I took a breath before writing the lyrics down, the boys looking over my shoulder at the piece of paper.

I find it hard to say bye-bye
Even in the state of you and I
And how can I refuse?
Yeah you rid me of the blues
Ever since you came into my life

I looked up at the boys. They all nodded eagerly - George got out his laptop to start up a beat and backing for it.
"Now this is the chorus." I said, writing it down.

Because you're my medicine
(Yeah, you're medicine)
Yeah, you're medicine
(You're medicine)

"Now I need a line here. Something romamtic." I said, tapping the pencil against my lap.
"I, I wanna marry you." Adam sang. My eyes flew open.
"That's perfect." I said, pencilling it in.

I, I wanna marry you
Said I, I adore you
And that's all I have to say bye-bye
And you opiate this hazy head of mine

"Sound good?" I asked the boys. They nodded excitedly.
"I love this already." Ross said.

Because you're my medicine
(Yeah, you're medicine)
Yeah, you're medicine
(You're medicine)

Because you're my medicine
(Yeah, you're medicine)
Yeah, you're medicine
(You're medicine)
(You're medicine)

I turned the piece of paper around, showing the boys so they could read over the whole thing.
"The fans are going to love this." Adam said.
"Yeah." Ross agreed, nodding.
Then George started recording the vocals, just on his laptop. This was only a first draft, after all.

We scheduled a rehearsal for next week. We were going to show the girls the song.
All through that week Billie knew I had a song planned, but I refused to tell her what it was about or anything to do with it. Every time she brought it up I'd change the subject. I wanted it to be a surprise.
"Can you give me a clue?" She had asked.
"Nope." I had replied.
"What about you just hum a little bit?" She pleaded.
"No." I responded.
"Could you just tell me the title?"
"No way!" I exclaimed.
"Could you sing me one little verse? Or a line?" She asked.
"Okay." I said, smirking.
"What?!" She asked, shocked.
"Yeah, I guess I could sing a line," I said. "Billie, stop asking, you'll find out eventually." I sang. She rolled her eyes.
"When can I hear it?" She asked.
"Uh - next week at rehearsals." I explained.

*Billie's POV*

It was now a week later and I was excited to hear the new song.
"When are rehearsals again?" I asked for the tenth time today. It was only eleven.
Matty laughed.
"Five. They're not even rehearsals anymore, just jamming. It's not like we need to practise, we all know the songs." Matty laughed. I nodded.
I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my cheek against his bare back. He was facing away, his back to me.
"You know what you should get?" I asked.
"What?" He asked, taking my hands in his.
"A back tattoo." I said, barely containing a laugh. Matty laughed.
"No, I'm serious! You could get a big portrait of me." I said, dragging my hand across the middle of his upper back. I smirked.
"That's funny." He said, turning to face me. He pulled me towards him and leaned down to kiss me. He took the hair-tie out of my hair and let it fall over my shoulders.
"I love your hair down." He said quietly, running his fingers through my wavy brown hair, just a little damp from my shower. I smiled.
"I'd love to wear it down more often, but it's so thick. I suffocate whenever it's down." I laughed softly.
He smiled, leaving a trail of kisses from my temple to my jawline and then down my neck.
"I love you so much." He whispered. I smiled, tugging softly at the curls at the back of his neck. He smiled softly, reuniting his lips to mine.
"I love you too." I mumbled against his lips.
"We still have hours..." Matty whispered. I smiled.
"What do you have in mind?" I asked. Matty raised his eyebrows and grinned at me.
"Jump." He whispered and I did as he said. Matty caught my thighs in his hands, wrapping my legs around his waist. I laughed breathily, hands shaking nervously.
"I'm too heavy for you, put me down." I said, suddenly afraid of what he might think. Matty shook his head.
"You're not heavy, babe. Relax." He said, kissing my jaw softly. I rolled my eyes, not believing him. I got a massive eruption of butterflies when he called me babe. That was one of the cutest things ever, to me. Matty sighed, carrying me to the bedroom. I laughed, letting him carry me and set me down on the bed.
"Listen to me," he said, kneeling in front of me. "You are the most beautiful girl I've ever met, and I think you're..." He trailed off.
"What?" I asked, afraid he'd think I wasn't good enough.
Too fat, too ugly, too frigid, too scared... Just not good enough.
The thoughts churning through my mind brought tears to my eyes.
"Baby, don't cry." Matty soothed. I looked up and met his dark eyes.
"You called me baby." I whispered through the tears, smiling.
"Don't like it?" He asked, biting his lip nervously.
"No. I love it." I smiled.
"Please, Billie," he rested his hand on my thigh and wiped away my tears with his other hand. "I love you so much, and I think you're perfect. I just want you to start believing it." He said, standing up. He plopped down on the bed beside me, and I smiled, eyes still damp with tears.
"Matty, I'm seriously so lucky. You're so good to me. I love you." I said, turning to face him. He leaned in and kissed me softly, and I still got the butterflies.
"I love you." He said, pecking my lips once more.
He made me so happy.
"We have so much time." Matty whined. I laughed.
"Do you want to watch a movie of something?" I asked. "Harry Potter marathon?" I offered. Matty's eyes lit up like a little kid and he ran to the couch in my lounge room, sitting down. I followed him out and put Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone into the DVD player.
I settled in next to Matty on the couch as the opening credits played.
I relaxed my body into his, Matty's arms around me and fiddling with my fingers. I was in a total sense of bliss.
---
After four or five of the movies it was time to go.
I got up to get changed - loose black shorts and a purple and blue tie-dye short sleeved shirt.
"How do I look?" I asked Matty. His eyebrows went up.
"Do you even have to ask? Babe, you're always gorgeous. Except," he came closer to me, taking the hair-tie out of my hair once again, letting my hair loose over my shoulders. "There." He said. I frowned, trying to put my hair back up into its ponytail, but Matty stopped me.
"Please. Just for tonight. I mean, put it up if you want, I think you're beautiful either way..." He smiled. I sighed and rolled my eyes, leaving it down.
"Okay. I'll leave it down. But if I suffocate it's your fault." I laughed. Matty slipped his arms over my shoulders and lead me out of my apartment.
We drove over to Matty's, him smoking out the window and me grinning like an idiot as his hand rested on my thigh.
"I feel like I haven't been home in ages." He laughed.
"I know - it's like we live together or something." I laughed. Then my eyes went wide. Shit. Shouldn't of said that.
"Crap. I always manage to make things awkward." I said.
Matty laughed. "Don't worry love, it's not awkward." He kissed my forehead.
"Good." I sighed.

After twenty minutes the rest of the gang had arrived.
"Okay," Matty said, leading us all into the studio. "The boys and I have been working on a song, as you know, and we want to show it to you." He finished.
"Yes! Let's hear it!" Rachael said.
"But not until the end of the night." Adam said. My jaw dropped.
"You can't do that! We want to hear it!" I said, death-staring Matty. He laughed and pecked my cheek quickly.
"You'll have to wait." He whispered, his breath tickling my ear. I frowned.
"Okay then, let's get this out of the way so we can listen to the song quicker." I said.
After an hour of going through songs and basically just messing around, the boys finally decided to show us the song. George pressed play on the laptop and the track played through the speakers. I heard Matty's voice coming through the speakers, singing the first verse.
I find it hard to say bye-bye
Even in the state of you and I
And how can I refuse?
Yeah you rid me of the blues
Ever since you came into my life

Matty grinned at me, squeezing my hand which rested on my thigh. I blushed.

Because you're my medicine
(Yeah, you're medicine)
Yeah, you're medicine
(You're medicine)

I, I wanna marry you
Said I, I adore you
And that's all I have to say bye-bye
And you opiate this hazy head of mine

When it got to the line 'I, I wanna marry you' Adam flicked a glance at Rachael. She pretended not to notice but I couldn't miss the redness of her cheeks.

Because you're my medicine
(Yeah, you're medicine)
Yeah, you're medicine
(You're medicine)

Because you're my medicine
(Yeah, you're medicine)
Yeah, you're medicine
(You're medicine)
(You're medicine)

I started applauding as soon as the track ended. Rachael and Tyler joined in. The boys smiled, happy with their work.
"That sounds amazing." Tyler said. I locked eyes with Matty and I instantly knew he had been singing about me. I felt loved, like I was literally the only one in the universe with him. It made me feel like I was invincible.
Matty must have read my mind because he winked at me, grabbing my hand and leading me outside the studio.
"Where are you taking me?" I giggled. Ew. Giggled. It just sounds weird, I didn't want giggle, but it wasn't quite a laugh.
"Just follow." He said with a smile, leading me out his back door. I instantly knew where we were going.
Matty gave me a boost over the black fence and I knew the way to the bench. The bench overlooking the creek, where Matty came to relax. It was warmer than that night tonight.
"Do you remember last time you were here?" Matty asked quietly. I nodded, sitting next to him on the wooden bench. The sun was just setting, like last time.
"Yeah. It was really pretty." I said.
"Like you." He said, making me blush.
"You're always doing that." I laughed softly.
"Doing what?" He asked, looking puzzled.
"Complimenting me, telling me how beautiful I am..." I trailed off. He nodded, picking up my hand in his.
"Because like I said today, I want you to start believing it. You're the most drop-dead gorgeous girl on this Earth." He said. "I love you so much, Billie, and I don't want anyone to ruin this, including me. I'm petrified I'll lose you. But I told you, I'm not giving you up. I love you." He finished, trailing his fingers under my chin.
"You mean so much to me Matty. All the things you say, like that... You make me feel beautiful. I love you." I said.
Matty smiled softly, tilting my head up. He leaned in slowly, closing the gap between us. His hands slid down from my face to my hips, bringing me closer to him. I smiled, sliding my arms around his neck.
"I love you." He whispered again. I bit my lip, smiling.
"I'm so lucky to have you." I said. "So...Mind telling me who the song was about?" I asked cheekily. Matty rolled his eyes.
"You, Billie. It was all about you. And it's all true." He said. I blushed, grinning like an idiot.

*George's POV*

I looked over at Tyler, smiling as Medicine played again. She was so beautiful, she didn't see it.
"Ty." I whispered. She turned to face me, fussing with her hair nervously.
"Stop. You're perfect." I said quietly, taking her hand away. She blushed, taking my hand.
"Can we go home?" She asked quietly. I wiggled my eyebrows like an idiot and she blushed, rolling her eyes.
"We're off," I announced. "Tell Matty and Billie when they get back Ty and I are going to hers. Bye." I said to Ross, Adam and Rachael. They bid us goodbye and I drove the both of us home.

Hey. So who's listened to Medicine?! How many of you cried just a little bit? Agh!
I kind of just threw that George POV for the sake of it - let me know if you want more. ;)
I think this is the biggest chapter so far, it's pretty long. :D
I appreciate all your comments, votes and views. You guys are the best. (And I just want to say I know that there's probably a lot of typos in this book and I appreciate you guys not killing me for it)
OMG guys I'm so excited for their Australian tour I'm not even kidding. I can't stop smiling whenever I think of it. Love you guys. :) xx
-Anna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 88 14
C O M P L E T E D "'I'd love it if we made it, Matty.' - Frankie suddenly sighed to herself and proceeded to close her textbooks. 'I'd love it if I...
16.3K 373 23
"What do you think, Matty?" Valerie sighs, trashing her last attempt at writing a song. "I think we should kiss." Valerie believes she is the kind of...
5.9K 71 24
Ava and Matty were best friends growing up until things got out of hand. They see each other for the first time following her father's funeral and re...
7K 479 9
in which matty healy is dying and in love - two of the worst combinations a person could be, and he wishes to spend his time lost within his own head...