Talk About the Direct Approac...

By TellTaleHeart

Picture this: One day, you're sitting on your porch when you spot a gorgeous guy stepping out of a car. ... More

Note From The Author
Chapter One: One thing that may change your life
Chapter Two: Kidnapped
Chapter Three: A mansion?
Chapter Four: Anything but typical
Chapter Five: Sure of it
Chapter Six: Stupid organs
Chapter Seven: Obviously
Chapter Eight: Thanks, Gandhi
Chapter Nine: A simple hello
Chapter Ten: Feeling the love
Chapter Eleven: Sticky notes
Chapter Twelve: How you seduce a kidnapper
Chapter Thirteen: Birthday fun- Part one
Chapter Fourteen: Birthday fun- Part two
Chapter Fifteen: Stupid ass llama!
Chapter Sixteen: Naked men and the Mafia
Chapter Seventeen: Not a She-wolf in the closet
Chapter Eighteen: I don't even know
Chapter Nineteen: Like penguins
Chapter Twenty: Way to go Rover
Chapter Twenty-One: Rants, confessions, and the perfect moment
Chapter Twenty-Two: Resisting
Chapter Twenty-Three: Kind of kinky
Chapter Twenty-Four: Meeting the Parents
Chapter Twenty-Five: Just my dignity
Chapter Twenty-Six: I'm watching you Bucko
Chapter Twenty-Seven: I would put Kobe to shame
Chapter Twenty-Eight: You only live once
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Shut up and kiss me
Chapter Thirty: School before baby-making
Chapter Thirty-One: A heart to heart in the Macy's dressing room
Chapter Thirty-Two: Kicked out
Chapter Thirty-Three: Poetic justice
Chapter Thirty-Four: The inevitable phone call
Chapter Thirty-Five: Forever marked- Part one
Chapter Thirty-Six: Forever marked- Part two
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Welcome to the club
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Seeing red
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Ignoring myself
Chapter Forty: Planning a homicide
Chapter Forty-One: By being annoying of course
Chapter Forty-Two: A brain-phone is the best phone
Chapter Forty-Three: As sly as a fox that's bad at being a fox
Chapter Forty-Four: I'm happy to die alone if I need to
Chapter Forty-Five: Your attempt at killing me is failing
Chapter Forty-Six: Poorly timed doughnut rants
Chapter Forty-Seven: Howls of Victory
Chapter Forty-Eight: Us Vs. Us Vs. Them Vs. Them
Chapter Forty-Nine: Back and Forth
Chapter Fifty-One: Human Values
Chapter Fifty-Two: The End?
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2

Chapter Fifty: Near

9.1K 333 36
By TellTaleHeart

*Macy's POV*

I need a vacation.

Cayton relayed everything to me that I missed while I was traveling through La-La Land. The feud between the two packs was over. Negotiations are far from it, but as of now Joshua will try and fix what's broken in regards to his own pack. Alan will be reinstated as Beta--well, maybe. He hasn't decided if that's the path he wants to take. If he decides against it, Joshua's next level would take over. I don't know who that is, but it's essentially the equivalent of Trenton in our pack.

As far as Bethany is concerned, well... She's going to resume living in Dusk Valley territory with Carter, but she's going to sort of traverse between the two, helping Joshua when he needs it most. As you can imagine, Carter wasn't exactly thrilled but it wasn't his choice to make. Joshua neglected his pack in the years since his mate's death, so there's lots of work to be done.

And Roy, he's taken care of. Cayton didn't tell me exactly what that meant, whether he was dead or alive, but I've chosen not to think about it.

And now, we have a list of things to do once we get home. First and foremost, I need to be brought in as an official member of the pack--technically speaking, since I'm already fully mated with Cayton, I am, but there's...paperwork or something...I admit I started becoming super interested in the trees outside the car window at that point.

Then, there's apparently some members of Joshua's pack that want to join ours instead. Now that our innocence has been proven, and no longer are our packs enemies, many are just looking to move from the drama into a nice, friendly, quiet pack.

I laugh quietly to myself, because that may have been true a bit ago, but now we have two things that need to be dealt with at home. Carter, and Warren. Cayton cleverly avoided telling me what he and Carter discussed when I left them alone, but I no longer felt his white-hot anger when talking about Carter, so I can only assume it went okay.

Or he hired a hitman on him.

But, oh man, did I feel Cayton's anger when mentioning Warren. I didn't want to dwell on it too long with him, because of all the shit at the shit-show, that was by far the largest and stinkiest turd. But alas, it had to be dealt with eventually.

Leaning against Cayton, I take in a deep breath and sigh. "When all is said and done, you know what we should do?" I ask.

"Hmm?" Cayton says, absently running his fingers up and down my arm, only half paying attention.

"Go on a cruise," I say. "The Bahamas, or the Mediterranean." Cayton's fingers stop in their tracks, and I feel him tense ever so slightly.

"Or maybe we could...stay...on land," he says hesitantly. I look up at him, seeing the discomfort on his face. Quirking an eyebrow at his refusal to look me in the eyes, I continue.

"Imagine, a big boat in the middle of the ocean where no one can reach us..." I laugh internally at the anxiety blooming across his face. "Surrounded by nothing but water as far as the eye can see. And shuffleboard."

He laughs uncomfortably, shifting in his seat ever so slightly. "Or," he begins, "A nice cabin in the woods, or the mountains, still far away from people..."

"Cayton, are you afraid of water?"

"No!" he says incredulously. "Just...the ocean...and boats...that sail on the ocean."

I stare at him for a second before I burst out laughing.

*

When we get home, I run out of the car door before we're fully stopped. I take a moment to examine the outside, fully committing every detail to memory. I've only been gone a few days, but those days have been so packed with fun, fun, fun! That it feels like I've aged into the geriatric population. I take a lungful of fresh, home air. As I stand there, appreciating it all, Cayton comes behind me and wraps his arms around me, resting his chin on the top of my head.

"Welcome home Princess," he says. I smile, melting into him. Just as I'm ready to go inside, the door flies open and a rush of red and black barrels towards me. Suddenly I'm face to face with Tami, Marissa, and Cassia, the last of which crashes into me like a boulder rolling down a hill. Luckily, Cayton is still behind me to steady me, but ow god my shoulder--

I let out a yelp of pain, which causes Cassia to immediately back away in a panic.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry I didn't think I'm just so happy to see you we've all been so worried we weren't told what was going on and I had to hear it all from Tami and then you, oh my god your eyes it's really true! Of course, I should have known it's true when you mind-linked with me but honestly I was convinced it was a demon or something trying to trick me but I'm so glad you're ok---" She lets all of this out in about three seconds flat, before Marissa simply claps her hand down over her mouth and backs her up.

"Sorry, she's been nothing but anxiety and sugar the past day or so," Marissa says, before releasing her and giving me a much gentler hug. Tami comes up next, holding me as tight as she dares for a while.

"It's ok, I'm just so happy to see you guys!" I exclaim before I notice Tami's shaking shoulders. Oh no, not another one.

It isn't long before she's loudly sobbing in my ear. I pat her back, not saying anything but letting her ride this out. Except it's only exacerbated when Cassia comes in crying, wrapping her arms around the both of us, and dragging Marissa into the fold as well. I try my best to pat her back as well, limited with what I can do between being cocooned in a mass of sobbing people and having an injury.

I look to Cayton, half pleading, half freaking out because I also want to cry but I'm so tired--

"Alright ladies, let's give her some space," Cayton says, beginning to pry arms off of me. Once he frees Cassia and Marissa, Cassia continues sobbing but grabs Marissa instead. Marissa simply rolls her eyes and rubs her hair, a flat "There, there," on repeat.

We eventually move it over to the house, and as I step through the threshold I feel years of anxieties and stresses fall away. I almost knock out right then and there, as if I've been carrying a two-ton weight and I've finally been relieved of my duty.

Tami is the first of the tearful two to stop and wipe her tears away. "Ok, we're going to give you two some time. I'm sure you're both exhausted," she says. I nod, going in for another hug. "We all just wanted to make sure you were ok. Do you need anything?" she asks. I shake my head, going to give Marissa and Cassia a hug again. Cassia wails loudly, holding me tightly. I smile despite the situation.

"It's alright Cassia, we're all in one piece," I say. And then exhaustion really hits me--I feel like I've dealt with enough crying people today to feel like I've just been at the concert of the latest boy band craze. "But no joke, I'm going to pass out in about six seconds and I would rather be in a bed than on the floor if that's ok." She ceases immediately, backing up and putting a serious look on her face.

"Alpha Setters, take this girl to her room immediately!" she demands, not an ounce of joking on her face or in her tone, despite her wet cheeks and red eyes. I half expect Cayton to do what he always does and get defensive--

"Aye aye captain," he instead says, and for a moment I'm proud of him. He immediately scoops me up bridal style and makes a bee-line for the stairs, and I throw a wave to the three before we begin up the steps.

"So does this mean Cassia is Alpha now?" I tease, leaning my head against his chest and taking great joy in the fact that I can hear his heartbeat better than ever before.

He simply rolls his eyes, a smile on his face. We enter our room and he places me down gently on the bed. I sigh in delight, feeling the softness of a cloud under me. "I'm never, ever, ever getting out of this bed again," I declare.

"I'm with you there," he says, plopping down next to me, lying on his stomach with his face in the pillow. I stare up at the ceiling, letting my body rest and for my mind to wander. I want to relax, and not think about any of the pressing matters before us, but the thing about pressing matters is that, well, they're pressing.

"Cayton?" I ask. He only grunts in response, and I almost let the subject drop, but I'm not getting any rest until I get an answer. "What are you going to do about your dad?"

There's silence for a minute, and I try to break into his mind to figure out what he's thinking, without success. Finally, he turns his head towards me and I again want to drop the subject when I see how tired he looks. I don't know how these few days have been for him, but I can't imagine he's had it much better than me.

"That's a difficult situation," he says simply. "Frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do."

I nod, looking up again. "I know it's hard," I say. "He's your dad, after all--"

"Oh, I don't care about that," he says. When I turn back to look at him, a bit shocked, his eyes are cold. "That has nothing to do with this. What I'm worried about is my mother. That's what makes this hard. If I didn't have my mother to consider, I wouldn't have any reservations about killing him immediately."

I bite my lip. "Cayton..."

"What he did is inexcusable. He not only could have killed you, but he could have also killed a hell of a lot more people."

He's right, of course, but it doesn't make the situation any easier. If it were up to me, Warren would simply need to work to regain all the trust he's lost. I don't know how, exactly, but that could be worked out. But then again, this is a relatively weird situation. In my eyes, at least. I don't know what's the norm in Werewolf World just yet.

"I forgive him for what he did," I say. Don't get me wrong, I'm still absolutely furious at him. This was stupid, reckless, careless, selfish, amongst many other things. But at the end of the day, it's over and done with and I can't change it.

I expect some sort of lecture from Cayton, but he simply flips so he's on his side, propped up on his arm and looking down at me. He studies me for a moment. "How can you be so forgiving?"

I shrug with my good shoulder. "If I did something like that, I would want forgiveness too, I think."

"But you wouldn't do something like that," he points out, raising an eyebrow.

I nod, "I wouldn't. And because of that, I can't claim to know what was going on in his mind, or Carter's, when they did what they did. The only thing I can do is forgive them. I would want that compassion extended to me, and carrying that stuff isn't good for you." I pause for a second, before adding "Stress causes wrinkles, and I don't need that."

He gives me a small smile, before placing his hand on my face and turning it to him fully.

"Who are you? Did I bring the wrong girl home?" he asks with sincerity. Rolling my eyes, I push his hand away and laugh.

"I can be serious when the occasion calls for it," I defend.

"You did spend about ten minutes yelling at me over a doughnut in the middle of a werewolf fight," he points out.

I scoff. "That's different. I know my morals and values and you crossed a line there."

"So you can forgive people for almost killing you, but you can't forgive me for eating a doughnut?"

"Food has been my most loyal companion my whole life, Cayton," I say seriously. "Eating my food is beyond a betrayal of trust. It calls for war." I yawn, stretching out ever so slightly, "But I suppose we can call a temporary cease-fire."

He laughs as I turn on my side, and he wraps his arms around me and holds me close. Heat radiates off of him, and I snuggle closer as he puts his arm under my head. Sighing in content, I close my eyes and let myself fall into a blissful, soothing sleep, focusing on nothing other than Cayton's breathing and his heartbeat against my back.

*

The next day it's up with the sun and no rest until the moon has been high in the sky for hours. I don't have to do much, due to my injury I'm ordered as such, but I stay close to Cayton the whole day. Luckily, we don't have to leave the house as everyone comes to us. Carter and Bethany are still at Joshua's, and won't be back for a couple of days, so Trenton is filling in while Carter is out. Luckily, this means I have Tami to keep me company.

The first thing we did in the day, though, is fully initiate me into the pack. It wasn't as boring as I thought, though I don't know if that's typical or not. And then they spend the majority of the day talking to those who wished to join our pack from Joshua's.

And in an exciting turn of events, a certain yellow-eyed blonde is among the potentials.

"Waylon! You're here to join?" I ask, giving him a quick hug. He nods, at which point Cayton asks how we know each other.

"He stopped me from being murdered on sight, got me in contact with Bethany, found my necklace, helped me escape," I list, counting them off on my fingers, hoping it's enough to convince Cayton without too much discussion. "Plus, he helped me figure out all of this," I wave my hands all over myself and then point to my eyes, then his.

That's all it takes, and I give Waylon a sly fist bump as I go back to sit with Tami, who's tapping away on her phone.

Trenton comes over and kisses the top of her head, and something in my mind clicks. "Oh! You said you and Tami had something to ask me when we got back?" They share a look, smiling at each other.

"We'll talk later," Tami says, and I catch the evil glint in her eyes. I narrow mine, knowing she knows what she's doing. Torturing me. My curiosity is a beast and it is always demanding to be fed. But it isn't long before everything is done for today.

Cayton, Trenton, Tami and I all head to the kitchen for a late dinner. Tami is cooking some steaks and sides, Trenton assisting her as Cayton and I cuddle on the couch.

Not much is said, we just sit in a comfortable silence as I listen to the steady beat of his heart. I still wonder what Tami and Trenton want to tell us, but they've kept their lips sealed. It's beyond frustrating. I'm too curious for my own good, though I will respect their wishes.

I only came to that conclusion after I spent twenty minutes eavesdropping outside of the kitchen, turning up no information other than Trenton has a zit on his back that hurts and he wants Tami to look at it.

I left quickly after that.

I throw my legs over Cayton's lap as I lay my head on his shoulder. "So, are you feeling ok?" he asks. I position myself comfortably before answering.

"Do you mean emotionally or physically? Because physically, I ache, but mentally, Wolfette here won't stop running her mouth. It's all Oh sure, you got to mate with Cayton but I didn't and I'm just like, girl, we LITERALLY just got back and I've been physically and verbally assaulted all week! But nooo, she just wants me to jump--"

"Princess, I love you dearly but before this goes somewhere we don't want it to go--"

"You don't want to go there? Is it the eyes? Is it a turn-off?" I become self-conscious all of a sudden and go to cover my eyes.

"What--no! That's not--I meant--" he sputters, eyes wide and shaking his head. I uncover and narrow my eyes at him. "I just meant--I do! Like, desperately! But, you're injured, and you literally just got back, and you've been physically and verbally assaulted all week--"

"Desperately, huh?" I tease. His lips press into a hard line, but I see the humor in his eyes.

"I was building up to ask if you wanted to...talk...about all that happened to you..." he continues. I frown a bit, wondering if it's a good idea. Cayton has been so...calm, and gentle with everyone since I got back, I'm afraid I might ruin it. He knows the obvious stuff, like being changed and being put in prison. He didn't ask about all the bruises, especially the obvious one on my face, but I could sense he wanted to. Mostly because he kept blatantly staring. As much as I wanted to believe he was staring lovingly into my eyes, I knew that wasn't the case because I 1) wasn't looking back and 2) there was little love in his eyes, just pain.

Plus, while I know he would completely believe I came up with such a wild plan, I don't think he would be happy Neil had followed through.

Speaking of Neil, he was MIA. I know he probably dipped the second he got the chance, and I can understand, but man. I'm pissed. Talk about hit it and quit it.

"Princess?" Cayton snaps me back from my thoughts. "We don't have to if you don't want..." he trails off. I see he desperately wants to, and I know it will come up sooner or later. Sighing, I snuggle impossibly closer to him and start tracing patterns on his chest.

I relay everything to him, from Bethany and I in the car, all the way to the car ride back here. I don't spare any details, though I do leave out Neil's name on the off-chance he came and wanted to join our pack. I feel him tense and relax, tense, tense more...He never interrupts, never stops me or gets angry.

I briefly consider getting kidnapped and having my shit beat in more often if it makes him behave.

When I'm finished, I let it sink in before I smile brightly up at him. "But, on the bright side, everything worked out. Give me a few more months and I bet I could train enough to kick your ass effectively."

He snorts, the tension leaving his body. "It's cute that you think you'll ever be able to take me on."

I quirk an eyebrow. Removing myself from his lap, I quickly stand up and make my way to the opposite side of the coffee table, sitting on the floor. I put my elbow on the table and hold my hand out, looking at him expectantly. "Let's go then."

He looks at me incredulously. "Absolutely not. You're still injured!"

"I'm not using my injured side," I say.

"There's really no need--"

"Chicken."

"That's not"

"Chick-chick-chicken."

"Really--"

I start making loud clucking noises, smirking as I see his eyes narrow.

After a minute, and I watch him weigh his options, I watch him reluctantly slink down to the floor and sit across from me. Slowly, he places his elbow on the table and grabs my hand firmly.

"Alright, but I don't want to hear it."

I smile, bracing myself. I countdown, and as we reach one I put all my newfound werewolf strength into--

My hand hits the table as Cayton looks at me, almost looking bored. I frown, pulling my arm back.

"I wasn't ready," I state. The beginnings of a smirk start on his lips, and it makes me more annoyed.

"You may be stronger now, but you're still not gonna beat me, Princess."

"Again!" I demand. I can feel Wolfette in the back of my mind, and I imagine her pulling up to her own coffee table and taking Cayton's wolf's paw into hers.

We need to prove just how strong we are! she yips. Finally, we can agree.

"1..2..3!" I count.

I last a few seconds longer this time, but slowly Cayton pushes my hand down until it touches the table.

My frustration grows tenfold and I'm surprised when a growl escapes my mouth. Normally I would be taken aback by my animalistic reaction, but right now I have a contest to win.

"AGAIN!" I demand, this time feeling the heat of anger rise. Cayton looks almost reluctant to go again, but somewhere in his mind I know he's enjoying seeing me riled up and beating me.

I get a stronger grip on his hand this time, locking eyes with him. There's humor in his eyes and it makes me angrier than anything else.

"GO!" I shout, and we both hold steadfast, not gaining the upper hand on either side. He smiles teasingly at me as he starts pushing harder, and my hand begins lowering. I clench my teeth in frustration and anger, allowing Wolfette to share equal space in my head as I take some strength from her.

Show him who's boss! She yells in my mind. I push harder, watching the shock in Cayton's eyes as I bring us back to the starting position and begin taking the lead. As the shock wears off, all humor leaves his eyes and is replaced with pure determination.

I feel him grip my hand harder and we're back to our starting position. Luckily, with each second that passes my frustration grows evermore, and I let out something like a battle cry.

Just as Tami and Trenton enter the room, carrying two plates each, I scream and finally, finally gain the upper hand. Cayton's hand slams against the table, shock etched all over his features.

I jump up triumphantly, shoving my finger in his face. "Suck on that Alpha!" I yell, throwing my fists in the air, hooting and hollering in victory. I feel Wolfette triumphantly celebrating as well. It's such a lovely moment between us.

Cayton sits looking up at me, a mix of emotions on his face. Shock most prominent, but I see a bit of pride in his eyes and that makes me happier than anything else.

"Damn," I hear Tami say, as she and Trenton stand in the archway smiling. "I knew you'd beat his ass one day."

"Damn straight!" I yell again, spinning in circles and shaking my hips for my little victory dance. Tami and Trenton laugh.

"Well come on and eat, dinners done," Trenton says, beckoning us with plates piled high.

All my celebration ceases as I catch the whiff of steak. I've never smelled something so intensely and I feel myself going feral at the thought of tearing into that medium-rare filet. It's instantly mouth-watering.

Cayton stands up from the ground as Tami and Trenton head into the dining room. "You only won because you're newly shifted," he says, with a certain air of childish petulance in his tone. I smile, taking his hand in my own.

"Maybe so, but you just got beat by your formerly human mate."

He rolls his eyes, a smile of his own. "I beat you twice before that. You only won because you got angry," he says.

With all my anger gone and all my thoughts focused solely on that steak, I roll my eyes in response. "Whatever helps you sleep, honey."

With that, I dash to the dining room with a one-track mind and a growling stomach.

*

"So, we have something important to ask the both of you," Tami begins. I shove the final bit of mashed potatoes in my already filled mouth, looking up at her expectantly.

She looks to Trenton who smiles, nodding before looking at both of us. I chew quickly, anticipating needing to respond.

"Well, with the little one on the way, we've been thinking...Will you be their godparents?" Tami asks.

I gasp, forgetting the excessive amounts of food still in my mouth. Some potato goes down the wrong pipe and I begin choking. Cayton hits my back a few times as I clear the blockage from my airways, but I have more important things to focus on right now. This is huge!

Despite my choking, I nod my head rapidly. Of course we would! This gives me all the permission I need to spoil their baby to no end. I can see it now, we're going to come up with so many ways to torture Tami and Trenton--

"And this isn't an invitation for you to ruin my child!" Tami warns as if she was reading my mind. I briefly remember she probably could, just as Cayton had before.

They wait for me to clear my lungs. I wheeze a couple more times before everything's all clear, and I try not to look at the food I spit everywhere.

I smile widely, trying not to jump across the table and give them both a bear hug.

"Of course we will be!" I say, looking to Cayton for confirmation. He still looks slightly concerned for me but nods nonetheless.

Tami claps her hands together. "I'm so glad! Our backup was Trenton's cousin and, let me just say, that family is about as functional as a storm drain at the bottom of the ocean." Trenton rolls his eyes at this, causing Cayton and me to laugh.

We sit around the table for a while longer, talking about everything that I missed while I was gone, avoiding the heavy stuff like Warren and Carter. It isn't long before everyone is yawning, exhausted from it all.

We clean up, bid each other good night, and part ways as we know there's another busy day ahead of us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.1M 502K 38
Picture this: You enter the mall with your friends. As you're making your way to buy a strawberry smoothie, you notice something more delicious walki...
910K 31.4K 45
Not being able to shift can really take its toll on someone. But for Lily, she's gotten used to it. Of course she craves to be a werewolf and run alo...
1K 66 13
He stole my heart, he grabbed my mind, he strangled my dreams, but spared my life, I was lost, I was alone. All I wanted was to go home, but he didn'...
430K 13.8K 26
Being a hunter and a werewolf at the same time, does not always work out. For instance when you meet your mate. Upon meeting your other half you shou...