Surviving Life with the O'Con...

By RealityCheck101

Brooklyn Ryan thought she had enough trouble with her two very annoying, older, twin brothers; Drew and Kyle... More

Chapter 1- The Life of Brooklyn Ryan
Chapter 2- Surprise, Surprise, O'Conners
Chapter 3- High School or Four Years In Hell
Chapter 4- Maybe, he's not all that bad.
Chapter 5- Minor Sleepover Crisis
Chapter 6- Stay Out
Chapter 7- When Morning Hits
Chapter 8- Not So Perfect
Chapter 9- Yes, Fruit
Chapter 10- The One With The Excuses
Chapter 11- Surviving Dinner Time
Chapter 12- Night Plans
Chapter 13- So This is What Death Feels Like
Chapter 14- Word Of Advice
Chapter 15- Silence is Deadly
Chapter 16- All Out Now
Chapter 17- Heart to Heart
Chapter 18- Addicted to Love
Chapter 19- A Brother's Car Can NEVER be Taken
Chapter 20- O'Conner Drama
Chapter 21- Oops, I Did It Again
Chapter 22- Live A Little
Chapter 23 - Parker's Day
Chapter 24- O'Conner Party Surprises
Chapter 26- Something Called Heartbreak
Chapter 27- Squad Night
Chapter Twenty- Nine- A Ryan Gets A Driver's License!
Chapter Thirty- Face To Face with an O'Conner
Chapter Thirty-One- Mysterious O'Conner Boys
Chapter Thirty-Two -Spit It Out O'Conner!
Chapter Thirty-Three -The Parental Approval
Chapter Thirty-Four - The Never Ending Growing Pile of Dresses
Chapter Thirty-Five - Three O'Conners Down Two to Go
Chapter Thirty-Six- Train Rides Suck
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Young Couple These Days
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Stormy Dance Night
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Hazy Emotions
Chapter Forty- The Daddy Talk
Chapter Forty-One- One Step Forward Two Steps Back
Chapter Forty-Two- Breaking news
Chapter Forty-Three- Change In Direction
Chapter Forty-Four- In The Clouds
Chapter Forty-Five- Bitter Sweet Moments
Chapter Forty-Six-You And Me
Chapter Forty-Seven- The End
Epilogue

Chapter 25 - Papa O'Conner

108K 2.7K 398
By RealityCheck101

Chapter 25- Papa O'Conner

I was completely and utterly shocked and blindsided for this situation. There was not even a little thought in my mind that the boy's father would have showed up this weekend. He hasn't been in their lives for year, so why would he all of a sudden come back now? Logic right? So in the meantime, I just stood there not know what to say or do. My eyes darted to Nathan, then to Mr. O'Conner, back to Nathan, to Mr. O'Conner, to the floor, the door, than back to Nathan.

What was I supposed to say to him- to them? I don't even think Nathan had any (appropriate) words to say to his father. Of course 'hey dad I missed you,' was out of the question. More like 'get the hell out of my life or my face' was a light way to put it. By the expression on Nathan's face at least.

I stood awkwardly in the middle of them not daring to open my mouth and say anything. I didn't even want to leave them alone for the sake of a fight. So there I was rocking back and forth on my heels waiting for one of them to blurt something out first. Thinking and hearing about how much fun everyone was having outside.

"So Nathan how've you been?" Mr. O'Conner finally asks, feeling uncomfortable under Nathan's harsh stare. I could hear the small off setting in his voice, like an accent.

Nathan opened his mouth looking like he was about to say something harsh when I purposely coughed loudly to warn him. They both shot me a quick look as if they forgot about my presence which I couldn't blame them; they were having a pretty intense staring contest.

"What are you doing here?" Nathan spat venomously through his teeth. Gosh, he sure does hate his father a lot.

"I came here to visit my boys, especially Parker it's his birthday, right? Well I know I kind of missed it on Wednesday, but I couldn't get an earlier flight than today, but I thought maybe you guys would be having a party this weekend for him, so here I am." AH! I figured it out, it's British. Go figure right, he's been living in England for the past years.

"Parker doesn't want to see you. No one does, so you can leave. Right now would be very nice." Nathan replies back bitterly. Wow, not even a knife could cut the tension in the room; more like a chain saw.

"Nathan, give me a chance-"

"No! You had a chance with us, you had a life with us! But no, you blew it! That's your fault not mine nor Parker's or Kol, Brandon, and Brody's; or even mom! You walked out on us. So just leave. Just like the last time."

The way Nathan was yelling at his father was making me feel sorry- by a little. Hell he did cheat on his wife and leave his family. Nathan was talking so evilly and harshly to his father that made me think if I ever yelled at my father like that it would make me feel guilty. I wonder if this is the first encounter together since he left? I'm guessing so.

"Nathan please stop being such a child. I'm a grown man I don't need to be sticking around to obey my own son. Now if you'll excuse me I have a present to go give to my birthday boy." Mr. O'Conner states moving right along.

"No!" Nathan shouts blocking him from the door like a four year old, "You're not going to see him. He's better off without you, we all are so just leave!"

"Nathan get away from the damn door. God forbid you do something irrational or start a scene during your younger brother's birthday party."

"Then leave!" Nathan barked again barricading the door with his body. Behind him the door thumped from the other side. A series of fists punching on the wood making noise to get attention.

"Hey can someone get me a towel!?" Parker's voice rang getting everyone's attention. I jogged over to the laundry room grabbing a towel quickly and went back to Nathan.

The look in his eyes told me everything. I understood. I squeeze past him and out the door with the towel hugging Parker into it, "Why is the door locked?" He asks, as I steered him away from the house and to the backyard.

"It's not. Someone just needs their space is all. Now stay out here and have some more fun, birthday boy." I explain bringing him near the bounce house. He didn't think any more about it as he climbed in and started bouncing around with his friends.

I walked over quickly over to the slip 'n slide where Drew, Brody, and Kyle were all hanging around laughing and taken turns falling into the pool, "Hey B, you going to join us?" Drew asked with a laughing smile on his face.

"I think I'm going to nee-"

It was too late. The back door rattled open and Nathan's booming 'no' came after it. Mr. O'Conner stepped out of the house and onto the deck looking around. The noise had us all looking to the back of the house to see what the ruckus had all been about. There were a couple of gasps and mummers, a growl from each of the boys, but other than that no one else paid any attention. Not many people knew what was really going on.

As Mr. O'Conner stepped down from the deck I dared take a look at the boys. Drew and Kyle seemed confused at what was happening. If looks could kill Brody would have murdered his father right on the spot. Kol and Brandon were a little more relaxed but looking annoyed and seriously pissed off as they came out of the pool. Looking around I saw my mom and dad standing next to each other with surprised looks on their faces. They looked over to us, just as surprised as I had.

The party still went on as most of the people didn't think much about the casually dressed man with a gift box under his arm. No one knew the really story about this man, or who the man was. Not until Parker announced it.

"Daddy?" Parker questions sticking his head out of the bounce house. The sound of Parker's voice made all our heads turn to him.

"Parker!" Mr. O'Conner praised throwing his hands in the air happily, "Happy birthday!"

"Daddy!" Parker shouts running out.

"Parker." Brody and I call out as he passes us. He looks up at me with the happiest smile on his face waiting for one of us to let him go. I was about to say 'stay here don't go' but his happiness stopped me from telling him anything.

"What?" He whined bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet.

I was speechless for words, for an explanation, for a reason to tell him 'no don't go.' "Go stand next to Kol." Brody ordered him, shoving him slightly in the other direction.

"B-but why?" He pouts, obeying as he stood in front of Kol.

"Just stay with us for now, 'kay Park." Kol tells him, putting his hands on his brother's shoulders to keep him put.

"But I want to see daddy!" He whines, stomping his foot on the squishy wet grass.

"Later." I hear Brandon whisper as Mr. O'Conner came closer.

He smiled holding his hands in the air stepping towards us, "Wow, all my boys are together! How are you all doing?"

"Get the hell out of here." Brody whispered sinisterly really trying to hold back his anger.

"Well that's no way to talk to your father. What's wrong with you boys? No one teaching you manners while I was gone?"

"Mommy taught me to chew with my mouth closed at the dinner table." Parker chimes in, unknowingly what he really meant. I couldn't help but stifle a small smirk on the corner of my lips.

Mr. O'Conner just grins at Parker handing him the red box under his arm, "Happy birthday son."

Parker gasp at the large red box taking it into his arms, "Whoa! This is bigger than me. Thank you daddy."

"Go bring the present inside, Park." Kol told him. Parker ran inside as fast as he could with his gift in his arms. As my mom passes him he shouted out to her.

"Auntie Riley can I open my presents now?" He calls to my mom.

"Later tonight, okay honey?" She tells him with a grin.

"Okay." He sighs, walking up the stairs. My mother and father both came up to our little group with Mr. O'Conner still standing in close proximity, grimacing at his sons.

"What are you doing here Tony?" My dad asks in a slight rush. Is everyone hating on Mr. O'Conner?

Nathan came right behind, standing next to me as he glared at his father, "I can be here for my son's birthday party can't I John?" He asks innocently.

"Does Krista know about this?" My mom asks immediately.

"Well they are my children too. I don't need consent, plus it is the weekend." He adds cheekily.

"Tony, this is no place nor the right timing to be doing this. There's no arguing about this and we don't want to make a scene." Mom begs looking around as people seemed to be getting curious.

"If you give me two minutes with Parker I'll be gone." He bargains with a slight grin on his face.

"No!" Both Brody and Nathan bark before anyone else had the chance to answer.

"Brody, Nathan, it's two minute." My father reasons, holding out his hands.

"We don't want anything to do with him anymore. We want him gone." Nathan says through his teeth in anger.

"It's not about you, it's about Parker, it's about my son!" Tony yells back making it clear for Nathan.

"We're doing what's best for Parker!" Brody shouts, the muscles in his arms and jaw line clenching.

"Boys, boys." My dad warns softly trying to settle them down, "Tony you have exactly two minutes with Parker. Boys if you want to stick around and listen then go ahead if that's what you're worried about."

Brody scoffs, crossing his arms over his chest. I could tell he was holding back on something he really wanted to say, but he kept his mouth shut.

"Good bye Tony." My mother says in a tight voice walking away with my father.

Parker comes running out of the house, not sure where to stand or where to go. He's been wanting to go with his father ever since he spotted him, but everyone has been keeping him back because he never understood what happened in the past. He still would not fully understand if you told him now.

"Come here Parker I have something to tell you." Mr. O'Conner says holding out his hand for Parker to hold. He looks at us unsure slowly grabbing hold of his father's hand.

The boys stood unmoving, watching as his back was turned from us ready to walk up the deck stairs, "Brook." Nathan says through his teeth trying not to sound angry, "Can you watch-" He presses his lips together, pointing to Parker as they head back into the house.

"Of course." I agree quickly following them.

"Brook." Nathan called out to me again, "Here, and thank you." He says handing me his shirt. I gratefully took it putting it over my bikini. Now I felt less awkward walking around in the backyard with just that.

I caught up with Mr. O'Conner and Parker just entering the house. Mr. O'Conner grins at me forcibly as he held the door open for me to walk in. Parker sits on the front stairs near his father smiling like a happy little boy. Parker looked exactly like his father. They both had the same light blue eye, sandy blond hair, a cute smile with dimples, and the same shaped nose. Parker was like his father's mini me look-a-like. Unlike the rest of the O'Conner boys who has brown hair and teal colored eyes. They don't look anything like their father, but they must look like their mother surly.

"Parker," Mr. O'Conner started off ruffling his hair, I stood a few feet back behind the staircase to give them some room, "You know I love you, right? No matter how long I'm gone for."

"I know that daddy." Parker answers with the smile.

"That's good." He chuckles, "Parker I miss you so much, buddy. Everyday. You and your brothers. I wish I could stay with you guys forever but I can't."

"Because of work?" Parker asks innocently.

"Yes, because of work. However, I came all the way from work to come for your birthday because I missed you. I'm sorry I can't see you often but I promise I'm going to try."

"Are you leaving now?" Parker asks sadly, his lower lip curling out to a pout.

"Yes, I have to go." Mr. O'Conner replies sadly, patting his son's back.

"But why! Why do you always leave? When am I going to see you again? Please daddy don't go!" Parker cries burying his face in his father's chest and wrapping his arms around his waist.

Mr. O'Conner looked at me sadly rubbing Parker's back, "I know, I know Parker. But I have to, you won't understand now but when you're older like your brothers; you'll understand. But for now I'm sorry."

"But I want to understand now!" Parker cries out louder with actual tears running down his face.

"I know you do Parker, but for now I really need to go. I don't want to but I have to." Mr. O'Conner whispers, hugging Parker tightly before slowly letting go.

Parker sat limply on the stairs watching as his father got up and headed for the door. He turns back half way out the door smiling at Parker sadly and giving me a little head nod. "Thank you." I thought I heard him whisper as he walks out the door.

Sitting next to Parker, whom laid on the stair now staring at the door depressingly, "Don't go daddy." He faintly whispers as I pick him up to sit him on my lap.

Hugging him, I rocked him side to side as he stares at the door waiting for his dad to walk back in. I kiss the top of his head resting my cheek, trying to brighten back up his spirits.

***

Eight hours later the party was over and the house was in a state of being cleaned up. The mess was nearly almost gone, but the food would still be here for a week even with all the guys to feed. The mixed match of colorfully wrapped presents were still wrapped and stacked neatly by the bay window in the living room. Balloons touched the high ceilings in the living room, some left behind goodie bags which were on the counter in the kitchen, and all the outdoor toys were lying flat on the grass waiting for daytime to be used again or packed up.

The birthday boy was partied out and in bed hugging his pillows with his superman nightlight on. Brody, Kyle, and Drew were locked up in their rooms and haven't been seen since our quick unorganized dinner. Kol and Brandon were playing video games and Nathan was in his room too. I stepped out of the shower with a towel around my chest, and drying my wet hair. I look for my PJ shorts and a tee to change into.

I walk out of my room and peek around the house one last time and shutting off all the light left on. The house was unusually quiet, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the surprise visit from a certain O'Conner (note the sarcasm). I found myself walking to Nathan's door and tapping on it lightly. When I was given entrance I poke my head in, check, and walk in, closing the door half shut behind me.

It took me a lot of thinking, a lot of courage, and a mighty pep talk in the shower to come in his room. After I had comforted Parker on the stairs the party only had lasted a few more hours until everyone was gone. During and after the party no one talked to each other, other than 'pass the ketchup' or 'can you please give me a napkin.' I know right, manners! It was a bit awkward though with no one talking to each other. Even my parents didn't budge us to say anything or to talk to them.

As I slowly made my way deeper into Nathan's room I sat carefully at the end of the bed watching him as he threw a soft bean bag up in the air and back down, then back up, almost touching the ceiling. I sat there quietly for a few moments before I dared to open my mouth.

"Well I do have to say that was on hell of a party." I murmur pulling my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on the top.

"Good job." He compliments almost sounding sarcastically bitter.

I pressed my lips in a tight straight line nodding my head once, "Eight years old now. Same age you were when Parker was born."

Not even looking at me he kept throwing the ball in the air, "I don't want to talk about it Brook."

"You have to talk to someone about it-"

"No. I don't." He says sharply. Catching the ball he squeezes it before throwing it up with much more force, hitting the ceiling.

"Looks like you do." I mutter staring at him the whole time, even though he wouldn't look back.

"I don't all right! Just drop it for Christ's sake will you." He argues, but yelling at the ceiling, not directly at me. He still didn't look at me.

I let us sit in silence for a few minutes as I just watched him throw the ball up and down, up and down, and up and down, using his right arm every time to catch and throw. He threw again with his right arm than caught it with his left, throwing with his left. I heard a faint wince as I turned my head quickly to him.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." he said quickly return the game with his right arm.

I narrowed my eyes as him quizzically, "What's wrong with your left arm, Nathan?

"Nothing Brooklyn." He replies back in a mocking tone.

I stood up on his bed grabbing the ball in midair. Gosh that dang ball was annoying me! I towered over him as he sat up right on his elbows glaring at me, "Can I have that back please?"

"No. You need to either talk or tell me what's wrong with your arm. There is something wrong with you. Don't lie because you and your brothers are being extremely nice and using manners." I said stating the obvious shocker of the night.

"Just give me the damn ball back. Happy now?"

"No. Tell me what's wrong." I insist, holding the ball up high even though he looked like he wasn't tending on coming up for it anytime soon.

"It's nothing all right. Probably just a bruise." He sighs harshly, rolling his eyes, "Now give me it back."

"If I give it to you back can I see your arm?" I negotiate.

"Why so you can check out and feel my strong mussels." He says arrogantly with a smirk.

I roll my eyes straddling one of his legs, "You're an arrogant boy even when you're angry. Stop being stubborn and let me see."

"You know you're still wearing my shirt." He winks.

"I find it comfortable, I'll have you know. I borrow Kyle's or Drew's all the time to sleep in." I mention as a matter of fact, rolling up his short sleeve to have a look.

A dark purple and blue bruise, the size of a baseball, was forming on his upper arm. The outline of it look brutal and painful, but it was still new. I hissed at the thought of the pain reaching out to touch it but he quickly folded down the sleeve.

"Happy now?" He asks rhetorically taking back the ball.

"What the hell happened? Who or what did that to you?" I ask determinedly.

"You asked to see it not how I got it." He replies throwing back his ball that was nearly coming close to my face.

"Nathan..." I beg exhausted of all the pleading.

"Brooklyn...." He mimicked back with a frown.

"I'm serious Nathan. I won't tell anyone just tell me what happened." Something suddenly popped in my head, "Did your father do this to you?" I almost shout but tried keeping it down. He didn't give me a direct answer but just stared up at the ceiling, "Nathan did your father abuse you before? I only left you two inside for two minutes-" I asked quietly.

"Oh my God Jamie, enough with these damn questions please!" He yells sharply at me, "Just leave me alone all right. No he didn't he just... He just grabbed me okay. To get me out of the way, and I got hit at practice the other day too, it's no big deal." He says speaking softly running his hand through his hair with a long sigh.

"I'm not Jamie." I mumble quietly getting only that piece of the information from the conversation.

"What?"

"I'm not Jamie. You called me Jamie, Nathan." I whisper.

"Oh. I-I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking straight." He mumbles, rubbing his face tiredly, "Jamie use to make me talk to her. We use to share our problems to each other; sometimes."

"Why won't you share with me?" I ask, grabbing a pillow to rest on at the foot of the bed getting comfy.

He chuckles dryly, sitting on the edge of his bed with his elbows on his knees, "'Cause you wouldn't get it."

"I know more than you think I do." I told him patting his back. He looked over his shoulder staring at me a little shocked, "You can talk and let some steam out, I don't mind. Everyone in life should have someone to go to and vent out their problems."

He stared at me for a moment as if deciding what to do. He sighs grabbing a pillow and sitting next to me, resting on the end of the bed, after a long pause he began. "It all started when I came home from baseball practice...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading as always! Comment. Vote. Fan. Blah blah blah. Have a Great Day/Night!-<3Kels&Ky:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 119 20
One plane ride could change your life. SOPHIA RANDALL likes her routines. She plans everything, down to the very last second. And Sophia is content t...
355K 18.7K 39
Five years ago, Gabrielle left Castle Rock to follow her high school sweetheart and the father of her child to college. After he walks out of their l...
10.3M 357K 61
Caden Miller. Hot, cynical, and notoriously labelled the bad boy of Crestmont High. Attention-seekers flirt with him. Idiots fight with him. The ones...
191K 5.6K 32
I felt the tears rise and I looked down for a minute, gathering all of my resolve. I looked up again and stared him right in the eye. "You know what...