Vamp Guards ✔️

By S_Faith

"Who are we? Well for starters, this is my prince, my heart, the love of my undead life." "And this is Kai, m... More

[•••]
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y-O N E
T W E N T Y-T W O
T W E N T Y-T H R E E
T W E N T Y-F O U R
T W E N T Y-F I V E
T W E N T Y-S I X
T W E N T Y-S E V E N
T W E N T Y-E I G H T
T W E N T Y-N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y-O N E
T H I R T Y-T W O
T H I R T Y-T H R E E
T H I R T Y-F O U R
T H I R T Y-F I V E
T H I R T Y-S I X
T H I R T Y-S E V E N
T H I R T Y-E I G H T
T H I R T Y-N I N E
F O R T Y
F O R T Y-O N E
F O R T Y-T W O
F O R T Y-T H R E E
F O R T Y-F O U R
F O R T Y-F I V E
F O R T Y-S I X
F O R T Y-S E V E N
F O R T Y-E I G H T
F O R T Y-N I N E
F I F T Y
F I F T Y-O N E
F I F T Y-T W O
F I F T Y-T H R E E
F I F T Y -F O U R
F I F T Y-F I V E
F I F T Y-S I X
F I F T Y-E I G H T
F I F T Y-N I N E
S I X T Y
S I X T Y-O N E
S I X T Y-T W O
S I X T Y-T H R E E
S I X T Y-F O U R
S I X T Y-F I V E
S I X T Y-S I X
S I X T Y-S E V E N
S I X T Y-E I G H T
S I X T Y-N I N E
S E V E N T Y
S E V E N T Y-O N E
S E V E N T Y-T W O
S E V E N T Y-T H R E E
S E V E N T Y-F O U R
E P I L O G U E
Fun Facts

F I F T Y-S E V E N

3.4K 176 58
By S_Faith

Despite Kai's sweet persuasion, Iris didn't get more than ten minutes of sleep that night. His thoughts kept him awake, ranging from many different things, but they were consistent enough to keep his eyes open.

Blinking up in the dark he fixed his gaze on nothing else but the ceiling. He bit his lower lip until he started chewing on his fingernails. Iris went through several nervous ticks just like that.

Morning came slow. The ten minutes he got was before a maid came knocking on his door, waking him up. He sat through a short discussion with his dad and Zoe and slumped his way towards the dining room afterward. The usual soft golden light that spilled into the room from the narrow windows had grown dull and held less energy. Despite the glow, it was gloomy.

Iris's sigh drifted shortly through the large room. He held his head up by his chin in his palm while he read over papers his dad had given up. After just finished eating he decided he could use a break from the endless work he's been doing in the library and study elsewhere, where raw light was shining the ink for his tired eyes.

His mind was also tired and lagging behind enough that he didn't realize someone had entered the dining room. He was rereading the same sentence twice before he jumped when someone tapped his shoulder.

"I thought there were no elbows on the table?"

Iris glanced up and let out a heavy sigh. A small smile captured his lips and his eyes lit up.

"Hey, Kai."

"Prince." Kai did a little bow before taking a seat next to Iris. Before Iris could get another word in, his face was caressed by one of Kai's cold hands. He watched a frown etch onto his own lips. "You didn't sleep did you?"

Iris glanced away with his eyes. "I did." When Kai didn't remove his hand, Iris sighed. "For ten minutes."

"Iris–"

"It's not entirely my fault. I had a lot of things on my mind."

Kai just shook his head and lowered his hand. "Well, when you were battling your sleep I was digging for more information at that location. I think I have a good prediction where the dagger is."

"Really?" Excitement rode its way onto Iris's face for the first time today. His back straightened and he momentarily forgot all about the papers in front of him. "Where do you think?"

"Somewhere where you and I can go alone to find it. I requested the trip. We leave tomorrow."

Iris bit the inside of his cheek to stop himself from bombarding Kai with questions. "Just us?" he asked. "Shouldn't Zoe come along?"

Kai's expression turned blank. "I still don't trust her," he said in honesty. "I'd feel better if we retrieve the dagger without them there. If it is real then maybe I'd reconsider trusting her."

Iris wanted to comment and say how that was some sort of progress but instead, he kept his mouth shut. His eyes skidded around the room before he quickly leaned forward and made their lips touch. Kai's taunt from the night before lingered in Iris's mind and all he's been wanting to do was kiss Kai; that's what the majority of his thoughts were clouded with. Kissing him. And, shamelessly, much more.

They split in time to watch two maids wander inside the room, small feather dusters in hand. They greeted one another and attended back to their work.

"Just you and me then," Iris concluded. Both their eyes trailed down each other and a smirking fire flared in their pupils when they met.

"You and I."

And Iris wanted to kiss him again.

***

Zoe was understanding when Iris and Kai told her about their plan. She listened and nodded and smiled.

"If not attending proves my trust and loyalty, I'll stay. Just guard that dagger when you get it," is what she said to them.

They gathered necessary equipment and set on their way. Destination in hand, on a map, they brought their hope with them as they left. Where Kai suspected the dagger would be located at, was in a place called Shiijha–just thirty minutes after the border of Leonna.

The kingdom wasn't part of Arlo's respected circle. It was a two-day trip just to get to the border. The kingdom was smaller than Vridora and lacking with guards as well as weak on defenses. Iris and Kai were bound to stop throughout their travel, so Kai made prior arrangements. They wouldn't be staying in castles or well-furnished houses but in cabins that shared what they most needed. That was food, warmth, and a place to rest.

Even with two beds and thick blankets, on the first night of their travel, Iris and Kai huddled together on one bed. It was no doubt the first night that the two felt comfortable to be sleeping together. No worries that they'd get caught or get in trouble. It was them together just the way they liked.

"I feel a little guilty," Iris mumbled under his breath. His words against Kai's bare collarbone and quiet in the small room.

"Hm? Why?" Kai blinked his eyes open and quickly adjusted to the darkness they laid in. His arms were around Iris's shoulder as he kept his body close to his, circulating their body heat. Iris laid his head on one of Kai's arms and his lips ghostly touched Kai's skin. His own arms curled around Kai's waist. It was a night of firsts for the two. Simple firsts such as sleeping partly bare in each other's arms, bodies resting on a lumpy mattress; though that wasn't the first for Kai.

"I feel as though we are lucking out. In the middle of all this distress, we're here partly enjoying ourselves."

Kai exhaled into Iris's hair. "Iris, you should learn that there's nothing wrong with detaching yourself from an issue to clear your mind. We're not exactly doing that but at least we were granted the time to just think and be away from it all."

"Yes...I guess so. I don't know, maybe that's just the prince in me."

"The prince in you is a little tense."

"Tell me about it." When Iris sighed, silence followed up on their conversation. There were no clocks, no nighttime songs from the birds or crickets, even. There was only a white noise that rung in their ear, drifting their minds to sleep. With the thought of absolute safety and comfort lingering in their heads, the two fell asleep rather quickly and without the hassle of needing to change positions. To fall asleep as they were it showed their content with not only the close proximity but laying in one another's arms.

Something they wished they could do so long ago. Nothing can bloom without a little rain; in this case, all the chaos and scare, and worries brought two hearts a little closer. Made them a little more aware. And it wasn't just recently that the "flower" bloomed. Three years ago, in fact, but the rain was only drizzling then.

Showers upon showers will come until the storm finally hits.

***

Iris and Kai stopped in front of their destination.  Iris narrowed his eyes and turned to face Kai with a skeptical glint in his eyes.

"I'm not judging your researching skills, Kai, but I highly doubt an all-powerful dagger is going to be located in an antique store."

Kai looked away from the small shop and down at Iris. He stared at him for a moment before looking back ahead. "Just trust me on this."

The small shop was isolated just a few minutes away from the rest of the village. Thick clusters of trees surrounded it but neither felt trapped or uninvited.

Iris sighed and shook his head, throwing his hands up as if to surrender and gave Kai the lead. They walked up to the door, dark wood with designs carved into it. Kai poked his head in first, simply scanning the room before letting Iris in.

A mahogany wood scent invaded their nostrils, making them scrunch their noses up almost immediately. Neither of them was used to the forest, its smells or distinct properties, so they were both taken back by the thick smell of the deepest part of the forest. Moist soil and damp branches. Though they just walked into a room with red velvet walls, it felt like they were exploring the woodlands.

The shop looked nothing special from the outside. All the walls were wooden. Carefully constructed placements of the four. But inside, certainly not short from a sophisticated sight.

The walls were red velvet. The texture flickered with ovals of a lighter red when the light hit it correct and the two walked in to see it shine at their arrival. It appeared soft to the touch, as it was velvet. Iris couldn't help himself and he ran his hand down the wall by the door to feel it.

The shop wasn't any larger than a master bathroom in their mansion. A desk was positioned at the left just as they walked in. No one occupied it. To the right, shelves of antiques and trinkets and books filled the five rows they made. Horizontally from where they stood. To the back of the room, slightly in front of them, a round table sat with three chairs pushed in. There, they found who was supposed to be standing behind the desk.

Iris and Kai glanced at each other before they ventured forward. They walked deeper in, the orange light above them glowing brighter, and the scent thicker.

When they got closer to the woman sitting on one of the three chairs, it became known that she was blind. Her eyes were a faded white, and as she blinked down at the table,  cup in her hands, she was obvious to not notice them. Not until the floor creaked where Kai stepped.

The women's ears twitched and a smile was brought to her face. Though she didn't turn her head, she took a sip from her cup and cleared her throat.

"Hello," she said. Her voice was as soft as the velvet Iris touched. "Welcome. Do ask if you have any questions."

Iris and Kai looked at each other again. A question was in Iris's eyes and Kai noticed. He shook his head and gestured for him to follow. What Iris was asking was if they should ask the lady of they knew where the dagger was. Figured that was the question curiously swimming in the prince's eyes, Kai declined. It was safer to search for it themselves. Even if it takes all day or a few.

So, they split to search each shelf. They all started from the end of the room and continued towards the front, a short break in the middle to travel between rows.

Iris let his hand trace across the wood as his eyes wandered and his body moved to the left very slowly. Occasionally he'd check his fingers and realize no dirt was dragged. He wondered how the woman knew to clean and where. He didn't let outside thoughts break his concentration. He scanned things on the shelf and piqued his interest but if it wasn't the dagger he clenched his jaw and kept moving. They both moved on to their second shelf after scanning both sides of the first.

The light above them, which was the only one giving light to the whole room, seemed to blink a few times. Or perhaps that was just Iris, as he closed and opened his eyes with such a speed it felt like the room turned dark. He rubbed them with his arm, just to make sure. 

"Kai!" Iris's voice was a harsh whisper. The vampire glanced up from a shelf and saw Iris beckoning him over quickly from the side of the shelf he was looking at.

When Kai stood next to him, Iris directed his eyes over to the second shelf on the bookcase they stood behind. Iris moved two of the books aside, sliding then to reveal a glass case with something special inside. Something they were looking for.

"I–there's no way this is real," Kai whispered in disbelief. He slowly reached out to feel the glass, but Iris jerked his hand out and clutched Kai's to stop him from touching it. As if just feeling the glass the dagger was inside would harm him.

"Wait. Just wait."

Kai pulled his hand back. "Have you becoming skeptical?"

"Not skeptical just...maybe we should ask the lady about it."

"We should just take it."

"Kai."

"What?" Kai was taken aback by Iris's impatient tone. "The faster we get it the faster we can go home. Plus, she's blind."

"Don't underestimate a blind person. And blind, not deaf." Iris stood on his tiptoes to peer over a shelf that was partly empty. He rocked side to side to catch a glimpse at the woman. From what he saw, she was still sitting and staring and drinking. He stood straight and narrowed his eyes. "Should we just take it..?"

"Yes. Grab it."

"I–"

When Kai moved to do it himself, Iris swatted his hands and grabbed the glass case. The dagger was secured by a stand and Iris tried not to become too captivated by the art drawn on the handle, and the sharpness of the blade.

They walked out of the aisle and stood in front of the door. Iris bit his cheek and peered at the woman. If it wasn't the prince in him it was his personality that made Kai wait so he could pay the woman. He did lie about the item and was thankful the woman didn't try to feel for it. They quickly left after.

Iris gripped the glass case and pressed it against his chest. When Kai gazed at it, Iris knew what he wanted, or wanted to say. They were both uncertain about the object. Of its ability or realness. With the choices they had, there was only one that could reassure all their uncertainty.

They had a dagger that purged the sin from a vampire's flesh.

And they had a vampire.

Their next task, prove it was real. Kai being the test subject.

***

The next chapter will be up tomorrow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.4K 3K 49
General Sevei is of the firm opinion that Nobles are shady and Alchemists even shadier. Noble Alchemists are the absolute worst. He is not looking fo...
395 10 8
TW: Blood, violence • • • Blood partners. The phenomenon which arose along with sanguines. In this relationship, a human and a sanguine a directly de...
87.3K 3.8K 134
[[MATURE CONTENT]] Pack, family, mate. Loyalty, respect, honor. These are the words that form the foundation of the wolf society. At six years old, E...
12.7K 846 22
Insanity was bred in the pits of Hell. Emeri Marcello was a deep believer in that. His sole empire clawed away at a being, tearing apart their mind...