Ashtium: City of Sun

By lumtrexa

Greta sees only in the colorless hues of silver and black inside her dying star's city, Ashtium. Ashtium's s... More

Chapter 1 | The City of the Sun
Chapter 2 | The Hospice
Chapter 3 | Whipped Workers
Chapter 4 | The Desert
Chapter 5 | Krexbin
Chapter 6 | Guardian
Chapter 7 | Family
Chapter 8 | Envoy
Chapter 9 | The Temple
Chapter 10 | The Bakery
Chapter 11 | Competition
Chapter 12 | Independence
Chapter 13 | The Fountain
Chapter 14 | Brothers
Chapter 15 | Something Odd
Chapter 16 | Plotting
Chapter 17 | Doubt
Chapter 18 | Parshavar
Chapter 19 | The Known
Chapter 20 | The Mask Part 1
Chapter 21 | The Mask Part 2
Chapter 22 | Sisters
Chapter 23 | Searching the Skies
Chapter 24 | Decay
Chapter 25 | Isolation
Chapter 26 | Arrangements
Chapter 28 | Taken
Chapter 29 | The Search
Chapter 30 | Identity
Chapter 31 | The Enocrote
Chapter 32 | Pass of Power
Chapter 33 | Training
Chapter 34 | Gifts
Chapter 35 | The Mouseio
Chapter 36 | Duel
Chapter 37 | A Taste of Power
Chapter 38 | Crumble
Chapter 39 | The Descent
Chapter 40 | Sea of Shade
Chapter 41 | Departure
ASHFALL: CITY OF SUN BOOK 2
Glossary
Background Info/Alien Species Info UPDATED 11/10/2023

Chapter 27 | Subtle Acceptance

89 9 0
By lumtrexa

GRETA

Sweat trickles down my neck. I don't think I've ever felt so warm. I kick my legs a little feeling them buried and tangled beneath heavy cloth. Something freezing cold slides under my belly and scoops me up.

A low voice hovers near my neck, "Are you feeling well?"

I turn my head near the source of the sound. My eyes peel open. It takes me a moment to realize I'm not even laying down. I'm sitting up against the fluffy backrest of my god's bed. Adler's freezing cold arm moves around me keeping me snug against his side. I squirm in his hold, moaning quietly in protest against the discomfort.

"Good morning, my sweet!" he chuckles loudly over my head. "You are acting very grumpy! Did someone not get enough of a nap?" he coos while adjusting his robes around me.

The heavy material makes me sink even further against him. His skin is like ice.

Tiredly, I yank the pile of cloth closer around myself while turning over away from my god. Free of his suffocating hold, I wiggle around until I'm comfortable again in the puffs of warm fluff.

"Thank the cosmos you don't kick in your sleep. You are quite sour in the morning," he teases while pulling away my source of warmth. "But it's time to get up now and embrace the day," he adds in a sing-song.

I sit up while wiping the sleep from my eyes. "No..." I argue meekly.

"I don't think I've slept so soundly in a millennium either," he murmurs while playing with my hair. "What do you think? Hmm? Are you awake yet?"

"I want my own cloud," I admit shamelessly, "Not a noyk. I am too old for a noyk."

"It is a clout, my sweet, not quite a cloud."

"When did you take me to your chamber? I fell asleep in the hospice."

"I could not leave you there. So I took you with me."

My sisters will kick me out of the hospice if I am late. I'll be homeless and out on the streets without a job.

There are many empty glasses scattered around us. Self consciously, I tug my robes tighter around myself under his unfaltering stare.

"I've failed," I mumble in distress.

"No, no, no," he argues lightly. Adler rubs his nose against mine before moving his face to my stomach. I tense up feeling him blow air on it. It produces a loud farting noise and a great ticklish sensation sending me into a fit of squeals and laughter. "It was not a trick to make you miss work. I need you here."

"Please, no more!" I cry out while biting my lip and twisting my legs together. "It tickles."

My insides feel like they're going to burst. He sits up letting me catch my breath. A strange silence grows between us as I watch him watching me in the mirrors on the wall. He scoots off the cloud bringing several empty wine glasses clattering to the ground.

Something holds his silliness away as he trudges over the cluttered ground. He opens a metallic cabinet on the wall and pulls out a book after undoing a series of noisy contraptions to get it open.

The book looks very old. Adler flips through it while returning to the cloud. He sits down and then leans back against the backrest.

"Do you want to learn more about the city?" he asks.

"Yes!"

"We can read together. It gets lonely reading alone and I must read this dreaded thing every day."

"Why?"

"I create our light. Hasn't Enoch told you? I am the one who controls your day and night," he chuckles while stroking my hair. "I'll show you firsthand how it all happens here. We'll make it morning together. If...if I mean, if you want to, little pearl. It's, um, up to you," he tells me. He sounds uncertain himself, "Do you want to?"

***

ENOCH

"Good morning, my dearest. How goes the hunt for the newest addition to your court?" Father chirps while entering the dining hall.

Wow. He's in a good mood.

It's a rarity for both of them to be eating at this hour with me. I think the emperor has been putting in more effort on his part to mend things, but I don't know where it's coming from when Urdmin is still alive.

Mother shakes her head. "I'm not going to be adding another courtmaiden. I have my hands full with this spy issue and don't forget that tomorrow an envoy from the Kingdom of the South Sea is coming here to discuss plans of population control."

Adler clasps his hands behind his back. He remains behind his seat at the end of the table with pieces of his ashy curly hair hanging in his eyes. His tunic is covered in wrinkles as if he slept in the same one.

Mother starts brushing the creases in it out for him.

"That's right, I forgot about that," he tells her with a tight-lipped smile.

Is his memory already starting to go? He is not that old.

I can't help raising my voice, "How could you forget? Over ten thousand of their citizens will be migrating here. We do not have room!"

"I'm going to give them our slaves," he elaborates, "They are overworked and will be unfit to rehabilitate here once free. We need new ones if we are going to reconstruct new housing for so many people."

Mother scowls.

The heavy jeweled scarf she wears around her waist jingles as she steps back from him with new disapproval.

"What will they do with our slaves then?"

"It is not our concern, my lovely Femke. Their kingdom needs labor and we agreed to give it to them," he explains shortly. Adler's attention turns to me next. He still sounds chirpy as ever.

"What do you think, Enoch?"

"Well, I was hoping we'd be done with the slaves altogether. We have records of distant stars who have already obsoleted this practice. For years, I have been trying to tell you both our city is well advanced enough," I round off while walking over to the balcony over-looking the streets below.

Mother plays with her new gold necklace around her neck. Adler kisses her. I watch surprised as she doesn't pull away and kisses him back.

"How is Urdmin doing?" he asks her.

"Much better. He returned to his private chambers in the palace today. Now, are you going to tell Enoch and I what causes this new happiness you radiate with?"

He looks my way with a charismatic grin.

"Enoch suggested I seek outside help. I want to be better for you both. I've started to talk through my problems-"

"With who?" Mother promptly asks.

He rubs his neck.

"My advisors, Femke. I was thinking this is something we could both do to help make things better."

The sweet tone Mother uses doesn't falter, "Fix things? The only one who needs fixed is you. I'm so glad you took this step though, my dear."

I'm waiting for Adler to explode, but the only reaction we can visibly see his how dark purple his face turns at her statement. I can tell he's holding back and I'm sort of glad he's trying to, but at the same time, he isn't wrong about my mother.

She walks off with a pair of her personal guards before Adler can get a word in.

Adler makes an awkward coughing noise while playing with the sleeves of his tunic.

His voice turns into a sneer as he looks my way, "How is Greta, Enoch?"

I'm tempted to just leave, but as prince, I'm obligated to listen especially in front of servants and guards.

"Greta is doing well-"

"By the way, are you going to give me my optic lense back?"

How did he know I took it from Greta?

Silently, I dig around for it in my pocket. I hand him the diamond prism with a bad feeling. 

"Remember Enoch, we may not be equal in age, but in youth and mind we are identical by our city's standards. I should hope you are only seeing Greta. From what little I've learned, she has a very fragile heart. I'd hate to see you break it."

Who is he to tell me off?

He grips my shoulder to keep me from walking away.

"I just don't want you to follow in my footsteps, Enoch. The less of my mistakes you make, the better."

"Yeah, I know she's been though a lot. She's just a friend. Nothing to be concerned about, Emperor."

☁️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 486 44
❝ The power lies within you. It is up to you to unlock its potential. ❞ In a city full of demons, Arcane Academy's greatest students are about to fac...
Catalyst By PUhouse

Science Fiction

61 1 40
What if they controlled the water? Dehydration. Death. Dust. "It was all I'd ever known." Alloy Houghton has never known anything else. Years before...
10.4K 531 59
The Trials are not over. The true Trials have only just begun. Aurora survived phase one of the King Trials. She emerged alive but scathed, new tests...
25.3K 1.1K 45
DIAMONDS IN THE DARK ⍚ A secret baby, a secret city and a turf war between the most powerful soldiers ever created. The Zenith Alphas are coming to t...