Distant Mirage || 13 Reasons...

By Cutehorse

'What's the truth if all we see are mirages?' || Book 0 in the Bailey Matthews Series || || 13 Reasons Why ||... More

Summary
Epigraph
Prologue
PART I
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
Bonus Chapter
IMPORTANT
Part II
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
Epilogue

25

947 17 0
By Cutehorse

~

APRIL

JUNIOR YEAR

~

Bailey hadn't seen Justin since she'd woken up, that had been a few days ago now. And she wasn't sure if she wanted to. He'd saved her after hurting her, and it confused the fuck out of her. Tony hadn't left her side, taking her home to Harris and Jenny where she struggled to recover. She rarely left her room, sleeping most of the day and up most of the night; which were usually filled with deep conversations to herself. She hated dumping everything on Tony when she knew he was struggling himself, continuing to let him talk to her when he needed. Because no matter how she felt, she would never stop being there for any of them.

'How're you feeling?' Jenny asked as she walked into the room with a tray of food.

'Better,' She smiled softly.

'Any more nightmares?'

'No.'

Truth was, she hadn't ever had any nightmares about the night. She just used the lie to explain the dark bags under her eyes and fatigue in her shoulders from the sleepless nights staring up at the ceiling.

'You been walking around?' The woman asked after placing a kiss to her head.

'Can you adopt me already?' She sighed.

Jenny laughed, 'Baby, we would if we could.'

'Drew,' Harris leant in the doorway; 'Maria and Taylor are here.'

She closed her eyes, slowly peeling the covers from her legs. That was a recent development, the near daily check ins by her parents. Jenny helped her stand, kissing her head once more before watching her limp toward the door. She smiled at Harris as she passed by him, the Atkins sharing a look behind her back.

'Hi,' Bailey leant against the wall at the end of the hallway.

Maria stood, 'How are you?'

'Fine.'

'Anne wanted me to bring you these.'

'Thanks.'

'Bay,' Taylor sighed.

'What do you want?'

'We just wanted to see how you're doing.'

'I'm fine. So, if that's all.'

She moved to turn away when her father spoke up, 'Bailey, please.'

'Why now?' She asked; 'Why do you suddenly care now?'

'Because we almost lost you,' Maria said softly.

'You lost me the day you left. You're not my parents, you're merely donors for all I care.'

'Bailey.'

The girl shook her head, turning away to open the front door after the familiar two horn blares sounded outside. She stepped outside in front of Tony, pulling the door shut behind her. And he knew from the look in her eye, she didn't want to go back inside. He took her hand and helped her down to the car, slowly lowering her into the passenger seat before he raced around to the driver's side.

'You ok?' He asked.

'Yeh,' She whispered; 'Just get me away from them.'

He nodded, reversing out of the driveway to head up the street. Bailey curled up into a ball on the seat, resting her head on his shoulder.

'I love you, Tony,' She stated.

'I love you, too, Bay,' He smiled.

'I just wanna go back to school, they're all gonna stare and I wanna get that over with now.'

'I'll be there every step of the way.'

'I know.'

She smiled at him before she let out a sigh, looking down at her hands.

'Do you think you can take me to go see Tyler?' She asked.

'Shit, Bay. Why?' He glanced at her.

'I want to make sure he's ok.'

'There's a whole roster for him, so no, he's not ok. Settled.'

'Tony... What I did to him was fucked up, I want to apologise.'

'What you did- He shot you.'

'I made him. I made him, Tone. Please.'

He sighed, glancing at her before he nodded once; chucking a U-turn in the middle of the road. She reached over to grab the hand that was on the gear stick, squeezing it tightly.

'Thank you,' She whispered.

'I'm coming with you,' He shook his head.

'You stay in the car, then.'

'Bailey-'

'You got rid of his guns, Tony. He's harmless now.'

'He touches you, you scream.'

'For you, always.'

She stared up at the small house as Tony pulled into the curb, nerves suddenly bubbling in her stomach. She closed her eyes for a brief second before she pushed the door open, slowly sliding herself out of the car as pain bloomed across her stomach. She pressed the door shut and limped up to the front door of the Down household, ringing the doorbell. There was a click of a lock before the door opened, Alex peaking out the door.

'Oh, hey, Bay,' He greeted; 'What're you doing here?'

'Wanted to talk to Tyler,' She shrugged.

'Are you sure that's a good idea?'

'Tone's in the car if anything happens.'

He glanced over her shoulder, nodding when he did indeed spot the cheery red mustang.

'Alright,' He sighed; 'Tyler, it's just Bailey.'

'Hey, man,' She greeted.

No movement came from within the house.

'He should be in his room, his parents are at work,' Alex motioned up the hall.

'Alright, thanks,' She nodded.

She limped up the hall and knocked on the open door, Tyler's entire body going tense as he sat on the opposite side of his bed; back to her, eyes set on the window.

'Hey, man,' She called softly; 'Just wanted to check in.'

He didn't move, his body trembling.

'I'm not going to hurt you, Tyler,' She reassured as she stepped into the room; 'I just... I don't know. I wanted to see how you were doing, what I did to you was fucked up.'

'I shot you,' He whispered.

'It wasn't your fault.'

'Everyone else thinks it is.'

'I'll talk to them.'

He finally looked at her over his shoulder, before looking away quickly.

'Does it hurt?' He asked.

'Yeh, not gonna lie,' She let out a soft breathy chuckle.

'I- I- I'm so sorry, Bailey.'

'It's ok... We were both out of our minds that night.'

'But- But you didn't hurt anyone.'

'I hurt everyone... I thought I wanted to die. By doing that, I hurt you. I hurt my friends. It was fucked up. And I'm sorry... I'm so, so fucking sorry.'

Silence enveloped the room, sitting heavy on her shoulders. She sighed softly, walking across the room to sit in the window seat across from him.

'I know you don't want to talk about it,' She said softly; 'But, what happened... With Monty, you don't have to talk to anyone until you're ready. I'm not going to tell anyone.'

He shook his head, his face crumbling as he hugged himself.

'Hey, Tyler, deep breaths, man,' She watched him closely; 'I'm sorry. It's not happening, you're ok.'

'You- You saved me,' He cried; 'And- And I hurt you. I- I almost kill- killed you.'

'Hey, hey, hey. No, no, no. Deep breaths, Tyler. I'm ok. You're ok. We're getting help. Everything's going to be ok.'

His chest heaved, his hands gripped at his shirt. She stood slowly, clenching her teeth at the pain that shot through her. She took a slow step forward, using his bed side table to lower herself onto her knees in front of him. He flinched when she first tried to placed her hand on his own that sat limp in his lap, eyes snapping to her as he struggled not to cry. She slowly reached forward again, holding his eye as she gently came to hold his finger tips for a second before he jerked it away quickly. She held her hands up in response, placing them back into her lap.

'You're ok,' She said quietly as she held his gaze; 'No one's going to hurt you. Not any more... I'm going to keep Monty away, ok? I promise you, I'll do my best to keep him away at school. Do you want me to do that?'

'Th-There's a list of who- who looks after me. Cl-Clay made it,' He stammered.

'I'll talk to him. But, is that what you want to do? Keep him away? Will that help you?'

He nodded furious, tears spilling down his cheeks.

'Ok,' She nodded; 'C-Can I hug you? Cause you really look like you could do with one.'

He hesitated before he stood, wrapping his shaking arms around her abdomen carefully. She carefully raised her arms to hold him, gritting her teeth as the sharp pain; tears pricking her eyes. It was only quick, but it was enough for her to know he trusted her. He took a step away from her, wiping his eyes as he sniffled.

'Where's your phone?' She asked.

He pointed shakily to his desk, watching as she stiffly walked over to it; her arm sitting across her stomach. She took it and unlocked it, putting her number into the contacts.

'You need anything, I'm just a phone call away,' She informed him; 'I'll see you around.'

She left the room, nodding to Alex as she passed him before she walked out of the house; feeling like she could breathe again.

~

'How're you feeling?' Zach asked as he laid in bed beside his best friend.

'Sore,' Bailey sighed.

She pushed herself up a little, wincing as her hand snapped up to lay on her wound.

'Careful,' Zach hissed.

'Zachary, stop it,' She snapped playfully; 'I'm ok.'

He rolled his eyes, slumping his head back onto her shoulder; eyes set back to the movie on the TV.

'I was so scared that night,' He whispered; 'I thought you were going to die... You were so pale and there was s-so much blood.'

She shushed him quietly, running a hand over his hair.

'When you woke up, I- I didn't know if I was dreaming or not... You were so still for so long,' He croaked.

'I'm right here, Zee,' She kissed his head.

He let out a shaky breath, nodding his head as he sniffled; swiping at his eyes quickly.

'I don't think I can ever loose you,' He stated softly.

'You won't,' She leant her head on his; 'Wherever you go, I go.'

'Promise?'

'Promise.'

'I love you, Bay.'

'I love you, too, Zee.'

She smiled softly to herself, closing her eyes as she listened to the movie play. But, deep down, guilt plagued her stomach. She hated herself for what she'd done to her friends, she hated that she'd let them watch her almost die. It was something she didn't think she could ever make up for. She hated herself. She let out a slow breath, trying to rid of the deadly thoughts racing to mind.

'Bay, you good?' Zach looked up at her.

She paused, 'Yeh... Yeh, I'm good.'

'You wanna talk about it?'

'Just thinking, it's all good.'

'Is it?'

'Zee, bro, I'm all good. I'd tell you if I wasn't.'

'Promise?'

She met his eye as he sat up, looking down at her.

'Promise me, Bay,' He pressed.

'I promise,' She nodded; 'Only if you promise, too.'

'I promise.'

'Ok.'

She nodded, casting her gaze downward for a second as she confirmed the promise in her mind.

~

'Where'd you put the guns?' Bailey asked as she rode through town with Tony in his mustang.

'Why?' The boy glanced at her.

'Curious.'

'Don't be.'

'Tony. What am I going to do with a gun?'

He cocked a brow at her, sending her a pointed look which she rolled her eyes to.

'I don't need you treating me like I'm made of glass,' She hissed; 'We've talked about this.'

'And we also talked about how worried I am about you,' He replied sharply.

'I'm fine, Tony. Look at me, if I wasn't, I'd be avoiding you.'

'No. You'd be doing what you're doing right now.'

She let out an annoyed huff, crossing her arms over her chest as she pouted like a three year old.

'Bailey,' Tony sighed; 'I'm just trying to look out for you because I love you.'

'And I love you, too, but what you're doing is driving me insane,' She said softly; 'I love hanging out with you, but not when I know you're only doing it to keep an eye on me. I got shot, Tone, because I thought that's what I wanted. I, now, know it's not. I'm working to get better, and to do that I need a friend, not a babysitter. Ok?'

'Ok.'

'Thank you.'

He nodded, pulling up to the curb out the front of the Atkins' household; looking to her as he turned his body slightly.

'I'm sorry,' He stated.

'Don't be. It's ok,' She smiled slightly; 'I get it.'

Bailey leant over and kissed his cheek, before letting him get out of the car to help her inside like he always did. She held his hand as they carefully walked up the stairs, one at a time. She chuckled breathlessly as they reached the porch, reaching for the door before they headed inside together; greeting Jenny and Harris as they lounged in the living room.

'Hey, baby,' Jenny smiled; 'Hey, Tony. You staying for dinner?'

'I'd love to,' The boy nodded.

'We're having chicken drumsticks and wings, that alright?'

'Perfect, Mrs Atkins.'

'Just called me Jenny, Mrs Atkins makes me sound old, you know that.'

Tony laughed, 'Alright.'

'We'll be in my room,' Bailey smiled at the couple.

'Of course, sweetheart, we'll call you when it's ready,' Harris chuckled, waving her off.

She smiled down at her all but adoptive parents, starting down the hall to her bedroom. She sat down slowly on her bed before she laid on her back, patting the mattress beside her. Tony smiled slightly as he stepped toward her, coming to lay beside her.

'You still didn't tell me where they guns are?' She whispered.

'They're safe,' He replied with a sigh; 'Out of our hair.'

'Can I guess?'

'If you have to.'

'The warehouses at the docks?'

He didn't answer, holding her gaze.

'I'm close,' She cocked a brow.

'I'm not saying.'

She rolled her eyes playfully, rolling onto her back.

'I want to know so I can rid of mine,' She sighed.

'What?' Tony sat up.

'If anything goes wrong, like Seth goes to the cops or something random, I want to be safe.'

'You are safe... But, I can get rid of it if you want me to.'

'I'll think about it.'

'Ok.'

He leant down and kissed her forehead, her eyes falling shut as she smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 1.7K 30
13 Reasons Why Character X Reader one shots. One shots with - Justin - Zach - Tony - Clay - Bryce - Monty - Hannah - Jeff - Scott
509K 8.9K 56
"only fools fall for him." "so does that make me a fool then?" [13 reasons why fanfiction] [social media] [lowercase intended]
56.6K 1K 16
Book 1 of 4 Everything is temporary; emotions, thoughts, scenarios and definitely people. Do not get attached! They will leave you or they will hurt...
11.4K 73 12
It's all fun and games until someone dies. The deepest and darkest secrets get revealed, lives get ruined, relationships fade. ...