What Are You Looking For? Par...

By klm120861

This started as a blog about what Catholics believe and why. I am following the outline of the Catechism of... More

What Are You Looking For?
A Short History of the Nicene Creed
The Nicene Creed
I Believe
In One God
God the Father
The Father...Pardons
God The Father...Protects
God the Father...Provides
God...Almighty
Maker of Heaven and Earth
Of All things Visible and Invisible
I Believe
In One Lord
Jesus
Christ
The Only Begotten Son Of God
Born Of The Father Before All Ages
God From God, Light From Light, True God From True God
Begotten, Not Made
Consubstantial With The Father
Through Him All Things Were Made
For Us Men
And For Our Salvation
He Came Down From Heaven
And By the Power of the Holy Spirit Was Incarnate
Of The Virgin Mary
And Became Man
For Our Sake
He Was Crucified
Under Pontius Pilate
He Suffered Death
And Was Buried
And Rose Again On The Third Day
In Accordance With The Scriptures
He Ascended Into Heaven
And Is Seated At the Right Hand of the Father
He Will Come Again In Glory
To Judge The Living And The Dead
And His Kingdom Will Have No End
I Believe
In The Holy Spirit
The Lord, The Giver Of Life
Who Proceeds From The Father And The Son
Who With The Father And The Son Is Adored And Glorifed
Who Has Spoken Through the Prophets
I Believe in One...
Holy
Catholic
Apostolic
I Confess One Baptism for the Forgiveness of Sins
And I Look Forward To the Resurrection of the Dead
And the Life of the World to Come. Amen.

I Believe in One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church

26 1 0
By klm120861

I Believe In One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church

            We have here the final “I believe” statement.  It’s left for the end, because all the others deal with who we believe in, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, as well as some of the perfections they possess and the ministry they carry out in the world.  Now we come to us.  We are the hands and feet of the Father.  We are the light of the Son in our darkened world.  We are vessels the Holy Spirit flows through until all mankind comes to the knowledge of salvation.  This final “I believe” statement confirms what that should look like to those who are watching us.

            “’This is the sole Church of Christ, which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic.’  These four characteristics, inseparably linked with each other, indicate essential features of the Church and her mission.  The Church does not possess them of herself; it is Christ who, through the Holy Spirit, makes his Church one, holy, catholic and apostolic, and it is he who calls her to realize each of these qualities.” (CCC 811)

            We Catholics call these the four marks of the Church.  She is one.  She is holy.  She is catholic (note the lower case “c”, meaning she is universal).  She is apostolic.  Because each mark functions as part of the whole, first we are looking at the whole. 

            The four marks of the Church are what Christ has called us to be, as a body.  He makes it so through the Holy Spirit.  No, we haven’t always gotten it right, in terms of how those marks were lived out in the world.  The Church is also made up of humans.  And sometimes humans don’t do what they confess.  We’re great at “do as I say, not as I do.”  But in spite of that, the Church is still, and will always remain one, holy, catholic and apostolic. 

            The fact that it is, is both a great grace and a great challenge to anyone who bears the name of Christ.  In our daily lives, do we truly treat fellow Christians as if they were part of the same Body?  Do we treat them as if they were holy?  As if they belonged to the universal family of God?  Do we recognize that they read the same Holy Bible we do?  That’s the challenge.

            The grace is that, even when it’s in spite of us and not because of us, the Body of Christ is still the Body of Christ.  Yes, our Body may have some problems, but we’re still family.  We’re still the Body because we believe in One Lord, Jesus Christ.  Through his grace, with the Holy Spirit to teach us and lead us into all truth, eventually, if we are faithful, one day the world will see that the Church truly is One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

256K 8K 183
What if a Pokémon Trainer found herself in the world of One Piece? What if she found herself with the Strawhat Pirates? What if she finds herself get...
191M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
9.9M 499K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...