Heartbeats in Moonlight

بواسطة SusanGarod

They'd survived two years of a cold war: David McKenzie and Gabriella Jones rarely spoke to each other. He th... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Part 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100 (Final)

Chapter 60

89 6 0
بواسطة SusanGarod

It took Ella ten minutes to locate Ben. He was surrounded by a veritable tribe of young women. "Excuse me." Ella pushed past a couple of women, then latched on to Ben's arm and dragged him toward her, "I promise to bring him back. Soon." She smiled at the women. "Come on Lothario. Good job you aren't driving my car tonight."

"Heard of planning. That's why I can drink. I have plans. Someone will give me a ride home, or I can get a taxi. See, all good planning." Ben smiled happily. That is what she liked about Ben, the fact that he knew he couldn't drive after the reception and had arranged for a sober driver.

"If it was good planning, you wouldn't have to look for a taxi out here! Your family-farm is in the middle of nowhere! No chance of a taxi here!" She grinned at him. "I'm leaving now, I could offer you a lift, but I doubt you want to leave."

"Too early." He chuckled. "You dragged me away. To offer me a lift?" He shook his head at her. "Ella, you dragged me away, did you see those gorgeous..."

She chuckled at his expression and interrupted him. "If I give you something, for Peter, will you forget it and leave it here."

"Why can't you give it to him?" He shrugged his shoulders and then grinned, "Are you scared of Peter?"

"Yes. Of course." She said with sarcasm. He frowned at her.

"Not nice, Ms Jones! You don't do sarcasm! Just frosty normally!" He said as if he was paying her a compliment.

Ella rolled her eyes. "I can do both sarcasm and frost! A particular skill. You, of course, have other skills." She looked over her shoulder and nodded towards his harem.

"Oh yeah!" Ben grinned and he also looked over his shoulder. "Yup. Lots of skill." He turned around and looked at Ella, "Ok, no sarcasm. Why can't you give it to Peter?"

Ella reminded him, "He's your share-milker, more chance of you seeing him."

"Ok, yeah, yeah." He nodded, as if that was news to him. "Ok. Go and get it. You can keep it with my other stuff."

"What other stuff?" She frowned at him.

"Emergency stuff. You know Ames." Ben laughed as he remembered the conversation he had with Amelia, "She insisted I came prepared for any emergency!" Ella laughed, given Ben's state, he couldn't possibly help Amelia if she had an emergency at this reception. Ben carried on, "That woman is so paranoid. I have a case full of first aid stuff to cover almost every eventuality. Plus, my parents would deal with any emergency! It is their farm. They have everything for any emergency!"

Ella nodded, "Great! But you know Amelia. You should have prepared for everything and anything!" She laughed. "At least it was only first aid stuff, she could have asked you to arrange for substitution for the priest, the band, the venue, the..."

Ben laughed and draped an arm around her shoulder and drew her closer. "Thanks Ella, you are right, it could be worse! Did I tell you that you are gorgeous?"

Ella giggled. "You are drunk!" And she slipped out from Ben's embrace.

"Maybe. But you are gorgeous."

"Thank you Ben, for that compliment. But I am not your taste! And you don't fancy me."

"I know." Ben agreed, smiling broadly. "But still, you are gorgeous!" Again he draped an arm across her shoulder.

Ella giggled again. "Come on, Lothario, let's go get that stuff." She knew he needed her support so she allowed him to leave his arm on her shoulder!

At the bar, David watched their antics and was not happy. He wondered when Ben had developed this camaraderie with Ella. From his vantage, at the bar, he could see they were laughing.

Ella looked over at the door.

"To where?" Ben quirked an eyebrow at Ella.

"To my car. I need to collect the stuff."

"Can't you bring it here. Or even better, I can meet you at the bar!" Ben said with a charmer's grin.

Ella shook her head and rolled her eyes at his antics. But she really liked Ben, because he always stood up for Amelia, and he was up front about everything. Ella threaded her arm through the crook of his elbow and pinned him to her, "I could, but you'd be buried in women again, you need air and you really don't need any more alcohol! In any case, I doubt they'd let me drag you away again." She tugged his arm and dragged him toward the doorway of the marquee. "Come on. A bit of fresh air will help you!"

"Not sure about that." Ben grumbled and leaned on her.

David, who was sitting at the bar, slowly getting drunk, saw them leave arm-in-arm  He knew he should have followed Jack's instructions and made some time to talk to Ella. But he wasn't sure what he was going to say to her. Instead, David glowered at Ella and Ben.

His place was nearly done. She had organised workers and they had nearly finished before she left for Auckland. She'd left instructions in absolute minutiae! They followed her specifications to the letter.  His furniture arrived last week and he'd run out of excuses to get her to come round to his place to check. There were a couple of snags, so he phoned her and left her a message. She simply arranged for the snags to be sorted, without even talking to him.

David thought he ought to head home before he really got paralytic. At the moment he could find someone who'd be able to drive him home. If he stayed, he wouldn't have the skill to ask for a favour.

Ella followed Ben back into the reception to make sure that he did put the signed copy of the book for Peter, in the first aid case.

"Right. I suppose you don't want me to drop you at your place?"

"You got it right." Ben nodded. "The night is young!"

"Well, stop drinking." At least taking him out of the marquee to collect the book, allowed the air to sober him a bit. "Amelia would not be happy with you, if you couldn't walk out."

"Yes mummy!" Ben grinned at her.

"Fine. Honestly, you guys..."

"Are lucky!" Ben completed. He kissed her on the cheek.

Unfortunately for David, he saw that. He was about to get to his feet, when his sister tapped his shoulder.

"What?" He grumbled and continued to watch Ben and Ella.

"Mum said, you said you wanted a lift home."

"I have changed my mind." He picked up his glass and started to walk towards Ben and Ella. Surely Ben's harem was enough for him, David thought. He was going to stop Ben adding Ella to his harem. But David's sister stood in front of him.

"What?"

"I said, I have changed my mind. Ok?"

"I don't know what is going on here, with you! My toddler has better behaviour than you at this reception! What is the matter with you?

"Can't I change my mind about whether to stay or leave. What is the problem with you!"

She glared at her brother then she looked over her shoulder, following David's gaze and she saw Ben. "Fine. If you don't want a lift, tell mum! I am going to dance with Ben." She turned around and marched off.

Ella pushed Ben further into the hall. "Wait a second." She told Ben.

"What? Why?'

"Cause I am looking for a adult to babysit you. Preferably someone who is not inebriated." She thought she ought to find someone to look after Ben. But then Ella saw David's sister. She was making her way towards Ben: she was walking straight, no sign of any alcohol-behaviour and was grinning at Ben. Great. Perfect. Until Ella saw David, who was scowling at her. She assumed he was scowling at her, not his sister.

Ella folded her arms, straightened her shoulders and glared at him.

David lifted his glass and toasted her. She rolled her eyes.

"Ahah." Ben said and he gave Ella a thumbs-up with a wink, "Here comes my babysitter!"

Ella shook her head at Ben. David, from a distance watched them.

"Hi Ella." She grinned at Ben. "Can I borrow Ben?"

Ella nodded. "Yes. Of course."

David's younger sister dragged Ben onto the dance floor. And unfortunately for Ella, her eyes met David's gaze.

Again he toasted Ella, but his head nodded towards Ben, then he shrugged, and lifted a hand as if he was saying oh dear, what a shame.

Ella ignored his gesture and turned away. David smirked to himself. Thank goodness for his sister, he thought as he watched Ella. He saw Ella stop at the exit.

Ella took another glance at the hall. A proper scan. She would miss this particular community, well, some at least. She found that David was still watching her. She squared her shoulders and left.

David went from smirking to a frown. Where is she going? Was she leaving? So early? David looked around, trying to find Ben, just in case Ben and Ella had agreed on a tryst. David scoured the group dancing and David was ecstatic when he saw Ben. David released a breath and looked back at the door. No sign of Ella. 

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

2.4K 139 56
Evangeline had spent many a fanciful moment creating fantasies that involved Seth. Seth and his grandmother was her new neighbours. In her 'Cinderel...
2.5K 38 58
He came out with handcuffs, lube, and the wand vibrator. He toss it on the bed. I bit my lip because I'm nervous and anxious. I look at him to see hi...
876 24 11
He vowed he would never love her. But some vows were made to be broken. *** If she wants to be sassy about this then I might as well reciprocate thr...
360K 10.9K 52
"So what do you want to do" I said looking around nervously. "I don't know, you " he said as he tugged me up landing me in his lap , I let out a slig...