[Supercorp] Desolate Stars

By itshaileymartin

Kara is a senior in high school when a student transfers, who is immediately the center of attention. Her sur... More

Estranged
Untouched
Starved
Runaway
Wanted Distraction
Unwanted Distraction
Jumper
Distant Altercations
Crossfire
Stigma
Reaper
Dissention

Ghost

2.5K 106 26
By itshaileymartin

Sorry I didn't post I had to get prepared for the mile so I was jogging those days I didn't post and just working out in general cause I bitch don't wanna get a bad score sorry for the long ranting ENJOY☺️❤️

"Ms. Luthor?"

Lena pushed the button down on her intercom, "Yes, Jess?"

"A CatCo reporter is here, she wants to conduct an interview with you."

A pause.

"Send her up."

"Right away, Ms. Luthor."

Lena sighed and poured herself another glass of red wine, swirling it around before swiveling her chair to face her wall of windows overlooking National City.

She took a sip, relishing the bitter taste of ridiculously expensive centuries-old foreign grapes.

It had not even been a week into her stay and she was already suspected - or more accused - of the first object that blew up since her move.

For a moment Lena wondered what Kara thought about everything. Even after her own brother took Clark's life, would the blonde still have faith in her?

She suddenly chuckled to herself, taking a large gulp.

Of course not.

The last she heard from Kara was before Clark died, and she had taken up an internship somewhere.

She heard the familiar sound of the double doors to her office creak open and tentative steps approach her desk.

Lena turned around, "Let's get this over with. Did I have anything to do with the explosion of the Ven-"

She stiffened.

The blonde reporter smiled softly, tender, but cautious, nervously fiddling with her glasses.

Guess the habit still stuck.

"Kara..." the Luthor whispered.

Her lips formed a hesitant smile, "Lena."

They stood there, after almost a decade, just to take in each other's appearance, to note any changes.

Kara was ever the same as her high school years: awkward, endearing, friendly... Her physical image had not changed, unless she was in her Supergirl attire. The hero, who was sure and certain, who was helpful and genuine in her care and actions.

Who was Kara.

With the Luthor, she seemed more professional, poised and graceful she was, wearing such elegant business attire with her hair down, not a single strand out of place perhaps controlled by Lena's will herself.

It was not terribly different, but the way she held her ground, her place, it oozed charisma and leadership and endurance...confidence in her own abilities with no ounce of weakness or an urge to back down.

Kara found herself feeling proud for the woman.

The C.E.O.'s knuckles were white as she tightened her grip around her wine glass.

Her friend noticed, despair etched across her features when she saw the quarter full bottle of wine on the otherwise colorless state of the desk.

Lena quickly diverted her attention from the alcohol, "A reporter?"

Kara only smiled, though it did not quite reach her eyes, "Funny, right? It's almost ironic. You were always the one that had a gift with words."

"How would you know?" Lena arched a brow, "I've never shown you anything."

The blonde became flustered, stuttering about, "W-Well I, uh, you said you liked to write, so I-I just assumed you'd, I don't know, write really well?"

"Well, you became a reporter, maybe you're better."

Kara blushed and adjusted her glasses, "Pffft, nah, no, never..."

Lena smiled.

Still as dorky as always.

"I guess we'll see when you release the article about this interview. Now then, shall we get on with it? Did I have anything to do with the Venture explosion?"

"Well, I guess that's straight to the point then," Kara chuckled nervously.

"I didn't if that's what you're wondering," then Lena frowned, pensive, "I'd like to make this company a force for good. I don't want to be associated with Lex's madness, I want to make a name for myself. I'm sure you understand."

The blonde dipped her head, thoughts drifting to her late cousin, "Yeah..."

The Luthor strode over to one of her cabinets and retrieved a tiny device, "This drive has all the information on the oscillator on board."

Lena found herself frozen in her spot when Kara took a step towards her to grab the device.

Even with all of that extensive therapy I'm still shaking like a leaf.

The Kryptonian immediately backed off.

The agonized expressions they adorned were evident.

Kara exhaled unsteadily, "You're still-"

Lena nodded shakily.

Afraid. Terrified.

The blonde's shoulders drooped, "I'm sorry. It's been so long that I forgo-"

"It's fine, Kara," Lena shut her eyes, rubbing her forehead as unpleasant memories invaded her mind, "I'm sorry. I didn't think I'd be like this if we met again, but-"

"I understand," she murmured, "Don't worry about it."

Lena took a hesitant step, then another and another until she was right in front of a pair of surprised blue eyes.

She held a shaking hand out between them, urging the reporter to retrieve the drive.

The C.E.O. flinched slightly when a pair of soft hands gently embraced her fingers, then her entire palm, increasing in its firmness until her shakiness ebbed into a slight tremble.

But they were so gentle and tender in its touch, contrasting to that one day.

Kara's eyes bore into Lena's, then down at their joined hands, then back.

The Luthor retracted her hand slowly, leaving the device in between the reporter's palms.

There was an excruciatingly painful silence.

Kara attempted to obscure her bittersweet joy.

Lena was struggling to regain her Luthor poise and professional fortitude at the very touch she craved for so long, that she was starved from.

The raven-haired woman sighed, "Do you think I blew up the Venture?"

"No. I don't."

The words were said without hesitation, certain and sure and clear as day, with an insurmountable weight of honesty and trust.

Lena frowned, her features taking on something akin to agitation, "You have too much faith in me, Kara. I don't deserve it."

"But you do."

The sentence came without hesitation as well, confident and strong.

Lena raised her voice slightly, moving to sit back down on her leather chair, "I'm not faultless, Kara. You put me on such a high pedestal, one day you will be disappointed in me, sorely. Everyone is, it's only a matter of time."

"I'm not expecting anything from you, Lena," then she smiled, full of just as much, if not more adoration than when they were in high school, "I know you have faults, but I'd like to think that I know you well enough to believe that you didn't do it."

Lena's breath hitched, words caught in her throat as she closed it off.

A moment passed and Kara decided to diffuse the tension with humor.

"But if your board members suddenly went missing, then I'd think you had something to do with it."

It worked.

"I can only deal with privileged, entitled white men for so long," the C.E.O. chuckled amusedly.

"I hear Max is upset that he's the second richest man in National City now, and that Terry and Devlin aren't too happy with being bossed around by you."

"No, they're especially not happy with the renaming ceremony and planning all of their company's events around that."

"Renaming ceremony?"

"Oh," Lena cursed herself for letting the information slip and attempted her hand at humor to divert the blonde's attention, "Yes, I'll be performing a speech - or villainous monologue - regarding the company's changes."

Kara's expression darkened, "You'll be out in public, where you could be assassinated at any given moment?"

"Kar..."

"Lena, you can't do this! You'll get killed! What would all of your efforts be for? Nothing?"

The Luthor shrank into her chair and flinched, her mind flashing back to the moment just before Kara had hurt her.

She's angry.

The blonde took a deep breath and ran her fingers through her hair, obviously stressed. She grit her teeth and spoke through the pearly whites, "That's suicide."

The look Kara gave her told Lena that she was in no mood for a morbid reply.

Not that she could talk at the moment, she was too busy trying to control her erratic breathing.

Kara facepalmed and groaned, "Rao, I'm such an idiot! I'm sorry, Lena, I didn't come here to...to scare you half to death. I should be more careful and I-I'm sorry."

At this point the Luthor's tremors ebbed into twitches, "No. I'm sorry too. I know you're only worried for my safety. I thought that I could control myself around you, but I swear to you that I'm trying."

A feeling a bitterness took over the blonde and she frowned, "That explains why you didn't reply to my texts for so long."

The Luthor deflated at the sarcastic remark, "I couldn't, I wasn't ready to-"

"Years, Lena," Kara interrupted, exhaling through her flared nostrils, "Almost. Ten. Years. I spoke to you every day. Do you know how cruel it is to look at those three godforsaken dots only for them to stop? Not a single word until Clark died, what, a year ago?"

Her frown contorted into a scowl and the two tore their eyes away from one another.

"We clearly have a lot to discuss," Lena said softly.

"Yeah. We do. This talk was nice, but..." Kara mumbled, rising from her seat, "Contact me when you want to catch up."

But you probably won't.

The blonde bit back the words and ducked her head on her way out.

Lena's nails dug into her palms; she was frustrated with herself, that her trauma had more power, that it wedged itself comfortably in between her relationship with Kara.

She released a tense groan, burying her head in her hands.

"Lena, please reconsider the ceremony. Maybe even to another day, then me and the D.E.O. can be prepared to-"

"I can't cancel the last second," the woman replied to imploring blue eyes, walking up to the stage.

She glanced over her shoulder to assure the blonde, "I'll be fine. I'm sure enough D.E.O. agents are around here, along with my security...and Supergirl."

Kara frowned and her shoulders sagged, "But-"

"I'll be fine, Kara," Lena repeated, smiling gently.

The blonde huffed and folded her arms tightly across her torso, "Fine."

She relented and stepped away from the platform, merging with the crowd.

She tapped her communicator, "Alex, have the teams found anything?"

"That's a negative. Maggie's unit is trying to scout the area for anything sketchy, but I have snipers stationed in every corner along with some ground units with me in the vicinity."

"Be prepared."

"You too," the earpiece's feed clicked off before clicking back on with a buzz, "Hey, ummm, is everything all right between you and Lena?"

Kara hesitated, "I-I can walk next to her without her having a panic attack, but...I'm not sure. She's...she's still scared of me, wary, maybe less so, or maybe she's gotten better at hiding things, but-"

"Calm down, Kar...it's Lena, she's going to want to try and fix everything just as much as you do. Things will get better, with time, and I know you've been so patient already, but I'm sure you can hold out a bit longer."

The blonde nodded slowly, "Okay, I will..."

For her.

There was an abrupt chorus of explosions and screams grating in her eardrums and Kara had to take a moment to right herself before dashing off to change into Supergirl.

"Alex-"

"L-Corp! The building! It's collapsing! Don't worry about Lena, I've got her!"

Kara reluctantly flew off to stabilize the sky scraping structure as Alex and her team flooded into the fleeing crowds, keeping an eye out for suspicious people and Lena.

The agent's eyes widened when she spotted the Luthor face-to-face with a man pointing a gun at her, disguised in an officer's uniform.

She activated her earpiece, running towards the scene, "I've got my sights on the target, can any of you get a clean shot?"

"Negative, Agent Danvers, there are too many civilians to not cause collateral damage," static, "And if you plan on engaging, we'll have to back down."

Lena's green eyes were, though frightened, filled with fire and resilience.

She clamped her fingers over her left side to stem the blood that was dripping from a bullet that grazed her, "You have impeccable timing."

"John Corben," the man chuckled deeply, "Though I'm sure you remember me well enough; I've worked with your pleasant brother on several occasions."

He clicked the gun again and Lena closed her eyes, waiting for the impact.

Pain suddenly radiated from her upper left arm and she shot her eyes open, hissing, ready to lecture the man that if he wanted to finish his job, he should have better aim.

Though her questions were answered when Alex rammed into him full-force once again, tackling him to the ground as they grappled.

Lena panicked, knew very well what the assassin was capable of and scrambled for one of the guns that slid towards her, forgotten in their brawl just as the man had the upper hand and Supergirl landed onto the concrete with a thud, persuading him not to shoot her sister.

Lena narrowed her eyes.

The only thing this man understands is violence.

And she pulled the trigger, watched him fall to the ground in a barely-alive heap.

The Luthor let out a breath and dropped the pistol, glanced at the amount of blood that wetted her sweaty palms.

Her own blood.

Lena inhaled deeply and suddenly Alex was in front of her with the rest of her team, gently easing her down for transportation.

The Luthor twitched, "Ow."

"You just really enjoy putting yourself in danger don't you?" Alex grumbled, continuing to suture the woman.

"I'm perfectly fine."

"You got shot!" Kara shouted in distress, "You could've died for Rao's sake!"

Lena glanced over, her voice even, "I got grazed, and I'm not dead."

"Valid argument," Maggie teased.

The Luthor rolled her eyes and stood up once Alex was done.

"Can I go now?"

They all gave her a look.

Lena ignored them, "I'll take my leave then."

The trio gaped at her once she left with a cold shoulder.

Kara was the first to snap out of her daze, pulling at her blonde locks, "Ugh! She's so infuriating! She makes me want to flip a table over all the time!"

Alex and Maggie shared a look, but before either of them could reply, Kara already stormed off after the C.E.O.

"Lena!"

The woman paused, pivoted around, her expression calm and collected as she waited for the Super to stop in front of her a comfortable distance away.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"Going back to work."

Kara groaned, "How about you get some rest first?"

"A company doesn't run itself, Ms. Danvers," the C.E.O. sighed.

The blonde squeaked, nervously darting her head around to make sure no one overheard, then she put a finger to her lips and let out a dramatic, "Shhh!"

Lena gave a small chuckle, "Never outgrew that dorkiness did you?"

"Dorky?" Kara almost exclaimed, offended, "I'm pretty mature if I do say so myself! How dare you insult me like this..."

The C.E.O. gave her a look and the blonde pouted, "Yeah, okay, point taken," then she frowned, "But...can you promise me that you'll take it easy from now on?"

"Kar...I-I'm not sure I can...with me being a Luthor and running the company, I don't think..."

She trailed off.

The Kryptonian's lips pressed more firmly together and she averted her eyes, "Right..."

"Hey..." Lena whispered, placing a hesitant, but comforting hand against her friend's elbow, "That doesn't mean I won't try."

Silence.

"I..."

Her sentence faltered again and Kara looked back up at the green eyes, seeing the internal battle to convey something.

Lena hastily picked herself back up, "Are you free today? This early evening I mean. Around six? At my place? We have...a lot of things to talk about."

Kara's expression was dumbfounded, lips parted in surprise.

"I...y-yeah, of course."

The C.E.O. smiled in relief, "I'll see you then."

The blonde could feel the enthusiasm beginning to course through her veins and grinned like an idiot, nodding furiously.

Having a Kara Danvers in a white dress shirt with a baby blue argyle sweater vest and some khakis begin rambling when the she swung her door open was, to be honest, not the last thing she expected.

"Oh Rao, Lena, I'm so sorry I'm late. I don't want to make excuses, but there was this pretty big group of thugs that wreaked havoc with alien weapons, which the D.E.O. is trying to figure out, and they decided to target the children's hospital and-"

"Kara."

The blonde startled at the cold, soft hand pressed onto her shoulder, "Y-Yeah?"

"Breathe."

The alien took a great big gulp of air.

A moment passed.

"I did say breathe, Kara."

She exhaled and Lena could smell a lovely mint scent.

Wintergreen. It was always the reporter's favorite.

"Come in," the Luthor welcomed her, gestured into the house and led her to the dining table, while throughout the journey, the blonde was appalled at how nice her estate was; though it was small, it was sleek, elegant, classy, and the decorations and furniture were modern and minimalistic with several dark shades of gray and umber.

It matched Lena's graceful poise and equanimity; everything was neatly organized as opposed to Kara's usually messy and scattered state.

But it was also empty...hollow, missing something.

Kara quickly saw that the difference was that there were no personal belongings, nor photos, just a few canvases of art to fill the blank void.

Then she noted that everything in the house was made for a single lonely inhabitant; there was a sofa, a coffee table, a small kitchen, and so forth...all made for one.

Being a Luthor, Lena never considered visitors, so she ended up quickly purchasing a dining table for at least two to accommodate the reporter at the last hour.

Kara looked at her friend, who looked away a second later; but she could see, see that it was filled with the same loneliness and desolation that she saw in high school. Only, it was muted, edges not as sharp, more blunt than anything. It was like she was used to it, the abandonment and hate, like she gave up hope trying to mend them.

Without any second thoughts, Kara strode over to Lena and enveloped her in an embrace.

Several moments passed while the blonde took in the familiar faint scent of vanilla from the black and silky tresses pressed against her cheeks.

Then she noticed that her embrace was not being returned and silently cursed herself again for letting her emotions rule her actions.

Kara pulled away, "I-I'm so sorry, I...I just, I really wanted to hug you and I missed you so much and-"

Lena clenched her eyes shut and tackled her into a tight hug, fingers clawing at the back of her tacky cashmere vest, their bodies flush against each other.

It was her turn to take in Kara's presence, how she smelled like strawberries and honey and wintergreen mint along with the earthly dirt and ashy soot from her heroics.

Strong arms wrapped themselves around the Luthor's shoulders, the heat from Kara's body engulfing her in warmth, contrasting her usual cold and chilly temperature.

Lena let out a shaky breath, "I missed you too..."

Kara shivered at the lukewarm breeze against her throat, then she felt a single wet tear brush her collarbone.

Lena huddled herself under the crook of Kara's neck, vulnerable, and the blonde could feel her lips form into a barely-smile against her skin.

The Kryptonian could feel the woman in her arms shake ever so slightly, could hear the racing heart pumping blood under her expensive and lavish blouse and within her chest.

She frowned and reluctantly unlinked herself.

"You're still-" Kara began.

"I'm sorry," Lena apologized, feeling her fear rise, crawling up her spine and into the nape of her neck.

"But you're improving, you're getting better..."

The raven-haired woman returned a tiny smile at the statement, "Yes. I guess I am."

Kara's head jerked up slightly, her ears picking up stealthy footsteps outside, "Are you expecting anyone else?"

"No, why?"

Her eyes widened and changed into her super suit in less than a second, then the door exploded and the blonde shielded Lena with her body.

Supergirl was not expecting pain though, sharp and localized throughout her torso and arms and thighs, especially her backside.

She choked out a gasp, felt a wet iron liquid build in her throat.

Lena inched herself back, a look of horror crossed her face when she spotted shrapnels of kryptonite impaled through Supergirl's body.

She did not want to imagine the many more embedded into her back.

Then Kara slumped toward her and Lena fell to her knees with the hero, clutching onto her cape.

The blonde managed to give out hoarse instructions into her ear.

"Lena... Run."

Then she flashed around, her fists caught in her opponent's. There was no way a mere human could stop her in her tracks.

"How'd you-"

"Remember me?"

"Corben," she growled.

"No," he grinned, correcting her, "Metallo. Cadmus sends its regards."

A green glow emanated from inside his shirt and the arc blasted Supergirl into the opposing wall and she laid still in the rubble, her consciousness slipping from between her fingers.

Lena ran to the pile, had no second thoughts when she began to pull the heavy pieces of her ruined home from her friend.

She was so busy panicking she had not noticed D.E.O. agents infiltrate her home as well to subdue Metallo.

Lena successfully pulled the hero out, her hands bruised and bleeding from the glass and debris she lifted.

"You're not doing this to me," she ground out harshly, darting her eyes and hands at all of her wounds, trying in vain to keep the blood from pouring out like miniature waterfalls.

Shit, shit, shit. Where do I fucking start? Please don't die on me, I can't lose you, not when we just...

Lena was alarmed at the amount of tears escaping her eyes and splashing onto Kara's still face, whose eyes were struggling not to droop closed.

She shook her head.

I have to take them all out, the kryptonite is killing her.

Kara's pupils unsteadily focused on the woman above her, "I thought...I told you...to-"

A wet cough interrupted her and she winced, the viscous red liquid dripping down her chin.

"-to run..." she finished, grunting from the pain.

"I have priorities," Lena snapped back, the tears refusing to stop.

Kara heaved a great breath and chuckled, then hacked out blood again, "You dummy..."

She whimpered in pain when Lena gripped one of the larger shards, located in her hip.

The Luthor grimaced at what she was about to do next and hissed at the burning sensation on her own skin, "I'm sorry."

Kara let out a choked whine when she felt the shard roughly slide out of her body.

"I'm so sorry," she apologized again, "The faster I get these out the less radiation poisoning you have."

Kara managed to wheeze out, "What about...you?"

"Kryptonite isn't as harmful to humans, only burns upon contact," she stated factually.

The blonde gave her a reprimanding look.

Lena rolled her eyes, "You can scold me later. When you're alive and recovering."

The Luthor reached for a thin shard that pierced through her lower lung and yanked it out, but was horrified that it snapped off.

"This's going to really hurt..."

Before Kara could begin to protest, fingers dug into her open wound and pulled the rest out.

Lena was startled when a pool of blood overflowed from the rather small hole and pressed her hand onto it.

Kara wheezed and coughed violently, more red liquid collectively pouring from her mouth.

Lena began to panic even more.

There's so much - too much blood. If the kryptonite won't kill her then the blood loss will.

She shook her head.

No, if I take all of the kryptonite out she can start healing.

The Luthor targeted the large pieces and swiftly removed them from her arm, thigh, ribs...trying her best to ignore Kara's cries of agony and the horrible burning sensations against her palms.

To no avail.

And all the while, she kept a chorus of apologies, hoping to drown out Kara's hoarse and weakening screams.

Supergirl's eyes rolled back from the overwhelming amount of pain and she passed out.

No, no, no, Kara, no.

Lena patted the hero's cheeks repeatedly, smearing blood on her skin, "Wake up, you can't - not now, I need you to stay awake, please."

Her panic increased a hundredfold when the Kryptonian's breathing began to slow.

"Lena! Get back!"

The woman turned to face Alex, whose team was already extracting Kara.

The older Danvers shook her out of her shock, "You need to come with us. It isn't safe here."

The Luthor could only nod, dazed.

"How is she?" Lena asked Dr. Hamilton, Alex just as concerned.

"Great actually," the doctor spoke, "Thanks to you removing most of the kryptonite. She won't need stitches, the wounds have already healed up nicely from our solar emitters and will scar over and fade soon, but she'll be quite sore."

The both sighed in relief, watching Dr. Hamilton leave.

"Where is she?"

The duo jumped.

"Supergirl, you need to get back on the sunbed, you're still recovering!" Maggie protested.

"I'm fine! I'm not resting until I find - Lena."

The Luthor just stood there, dumbfounded as the angry hero made her way towards her, she did not even notice Alex slipping away and motioning for the doctors and agents to do so as well, along with Maggie.

Kara paused just in front of Lena, wobbled in her stance, but ultimately prevented herself from toppling over.

The blonde scanned her friend, relief coloring her features, "Thank Rao..."

Then her eyes flooded with dread when she took Lena's bandaged hands, blood soaking through the white fabric, "I told you to run..."

"Kara, you were dying, right in front of my eyes. You really expected me to run away?"

"Yeah, I did," she responded somberly, downcast.

A pang of guilt struck Lena's heart.

"Kar..." she placed a bandaged hand tentatively, shakily on her hero's cheeks, the other still encased in the blonde's hands, wiping away a tear, "I..." it came out unsteady, "I am still afraid...of you."

Kara frowned, the familiar agonizing stigma of shame and culpability gnawing at the edges of her heart, even with their reunification.

"But..." Lena continued, caressing the hero's cheek, who gripped her wrist gently and leaned into the touch, "It doesn't mean that I don't care about you...okay?"

Kara nodded solemnly and they wrapped their arms around each other for a tender hug, tears freely welling up and springing out of their eyes.

"You gave me a heart attack, Kar..."

The blonde's arms tightened, "I'm okay. You're okay..."

"Fucking hell," Alex sighed at the end of the hall, poking her head back out of sight.

"Pay up, Danvers," Maggie smirked.

"How. I was so positive they'd just... Unfucking believable," Alex groaned, handing her girlfriend a fifty, "How have they not confessed to each other yet?"

"Classic mutual obliviousness," Maggie grinned smugly, swiping the bill from Alex's grip, "Still have that awful gay sense even after all these years..."

"Shut up, Sawyer."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

417K 13.9K 38
Trailer for this fic done by the incredibly talented @Jeeeenifer30 : https://youtu.be/uzvbuJin7m8 When Kara and Lena go out to celebrate Kara's front...
43.3K 1.5K 39
°Who would've thought, a Luthor and a Super together °This is a collection of Supercorp Stories! Most of them will be Kara without powers (if that ch...
14 0 5
In 1989, a girl by the name of Kara Kent died on the night of a terrible storm. Twenty-five years later, Lena Luthor comes across an old analog TV an...
983 70 1
Lena and Kara meet in grade school, and the friendship is immediate. A gift and a cultural misunderstanding leads to confusion that will last for...