The Power of the Moon

By the-hidden-will

What happens when Uchiha Madara finds out the true purpose of the Infinite Tsukuyomi? Uchiha Madara bumps int... More

CHARACTER SHEET
PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
PART 5
PART 6
PART 7
PART 8
PART 9
PART 10
PART 11
PART 12
PART 13
PART 14
PART 15
PART 16
PART 17
PART 18
PART 19
PART 20
PART 21
PART 22
PART 23
PART 24
PART 25
PART 26
PART 27
PART 28
PART 29
PART 30
PART 31
PART 32
PART 33
PART 34
PART 35
PART 37
PART 38
PART 39
PART 40
PART 41
PART 42
PART 43
🍋 PART 44 🍋
PART 45
PART 46
PART 47
PART 48
PART 49
PART 50
PART 51
PART 52
PART 53
PART 54
PART 55
PART 56
PART 57
PART 58
PART 59

PART 36

2.8K 87 11
By the-hidden-will

Pit pat. Pit pat. Pit pat. Pit pat.

The sounds of their footsteps filled up the silence between the five that had been walking throughout the forest.
Ayumi was ahead in the distance with the two grieving children, trying to console them as she trudged.

"Ayumi." Kaouru's voice croaked, "Who will look after us? Will you take care of us?"
"Ayumi." Kenzo whined, tugging on her pants.

The princess's sad eyes darted between theirs, now ruffling their heads.
"Of course I will. Every one in my clan is my family. I will protect you as if my life depends on it. Okay? You are not alone." Ayumi reassured the two, speaking as firmly yet kindly as she could. "This is sadly how the shinobi world works." She wanted to give them a reality check, but she feared they were still too young to understand, as evident by the confused frowns on their faces.

Meanwhile, Madara and Koniko were behind from a distance observing what had been going on. It remained for the most part quiet between the two, but he was growing curious.

"What is your relationship to her?" Madara questioned Koniko.
"Me..." Koniko looked at the daunting Uchiha, "You can think of me as her right-hand." She smiled smally.

"Right hand? As in her assistant?"
"Pretty much." Koniko looked ahead, watching Ayumi's clan crest from her back, "I have been with her since she was a child. We're basically sisters. She gets so caught up in clan work and training that she forgets a lot of other things. That's where I come in to help."

Madara slowly nodded, looking at Koniko slightly surprised, and then ahead into the distance.

"Oh. Forgive me for my impudence, but I would like to offer my congratulations to your engagement." Koniko bowed.
Madara rose his eyebrows. "So you heard."

Koniko laughed. "I knew it was going to happen the minute you two met each other at that diplomacy meeting with the Senju. You two argue like a married couple."

"It can't be helped. She can be quite the knucklehead." Madara crossed his arms.
"But I guess that's what makes her likable by many!" She looked up to the sky, "Have you proposed to her with a ring yet? She is quite fond of jewellery."

Madara was slightly taken aback, his eyes narrowing. A ring? How and why? What was the significance behind a ring? And if it was a requirement for proposing, how could he have missed such a small thing?

Madara fondly recalled the dainty golden bracelet Ayumi had worn once at a meeting with the Senju. Maybe she would appreciate jewellery, he thought to himself.

"Why would I need such a thing? What does a ring signify?" Madara looked at her.
Koniko brought a hand to her mouth to help stifle her chuckle.

Madara's glare grew darker. "I don't appreciate being mocked."
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" She raised her palms defensively in the air, trying to reduce her grin, "But I just thought someone so mighty and tough like you would know. A ring signifies the declaration of eternal love between two souls. I think Ayumi would like it."

Madara felt a lump form in his throat. Eternal love, huh? It was quite befitting, he thought as he watched her from ahead comforting the children. The idea did not pressure him into second guessing one bit. She was a princess, so he'd suppose it was only natural for her to have extravagant taste.
"I see you're considering it." Koniko smiled, "Her favourite stone is red spinel, if that helps."

"Let us focus on finding who did this to those children." Madara said, crossing his arms.
Madara recalled Hashirama's words. I just never thought you'd marry someone! Hashirama would always say, but now Madara couldn't believe he'd be going out of his way to buy her a ring. That Ayumi. Madara thought to himself.

-

"There it is." Madara pointed with his eyes towards the cottage they would be staying at for the mean time.

"You're right. Kumo is close from here." Ayumi observed with her byakugan. She looked back at Kaouru and Kenzo. "It'll be okay. I promise we'll protect your lives." They solemnly looked at the ground.

Madara looked at the small and cozy cottage he had built during the warring states era. It was small, and he was unsure if they'd appreciate it, or if it would even fit them. He shifted his feet, clearing his throat.

 "Listen, Ayumi. I know you come from an affluent family. You are probably used to living in vast settlements as a princess after all." He crossed his arms uncomfortably. "Will this be okay for the four of you?"

Ayumi's jaw dropped to the floor.

"Are you implying I'm a shallow woman!" She punched his arm.

"Oi!" Madara retorted, patting the spot she had hit.

"Madara! Seriously, anything will suffice." Ayumi frowned.

If it's with you, anything will be okay. She thought to herself, the frown on her face now forming into a small smile. Madara looked at her, and then looked away.

Koniko chuckled, forcing the couple to turn around and look at her. She bowed. "Thank you for allowing us to stay with you, Madara."

Ayumi quickly did the same. "Mm! Thank you, Madara-sama."

"Madara-sa-ma..." The Uchiha muttered under his breath. His eyebrow twitched, he was growing irritated. He didn't like the thought of being addressed so formally by people he would soon consider family. "Tsch. Do me a favour and drop the formalities. And follow me." He turned on his heels to walk.

"Heh heh heh." Ayumi devilishly giggled, nudging Koniko's elbow. "I knew that would annoy him."

Madara sighed. 

-

"So this is it." Kaouru mumbled. Madra slide the shoji door so that every one could make their way inside. It indeed was cozy, one tatami floor that would be enough to fit four to five futons, with a kitchen area and a washroom to the side. It was small, but it'd do the job. 

"Arigatou." Both Kenzo and Kaouru bowed with their palms clasped together, Madara nodded in response.

"It looks like it's going to rain tonight. We'll start our investigations tomorrow." Madara's sharingan swirled back to his dark eyes. 
"Ah. I'll get everything set up." Ayumi said, unpacking futons and changes of clothing, with Koniko following behind. "You two could go use a shower." Ayumi looked at the two sad children. Their crying phase had passed over the span of a couple days, now they were just quiet.

Koniko took their hands and accompanied them. 

Ayumi pulled out a pencil and paper and she began drafting a note.

"Oh?" Madara's eyes grew curious. 
"Oh. Yeah. I'm sending a note to rebuild the children's house back in Konoha. So that by the time we return they at least have a place to stay."
Madara stayed silent for a moment, thinking about how considerate she had been towards them. "You're planning to fund it?" Madara sat beside her.
Ayumi nodded. "I have enough saved."

"My falcons are here. They could send it." He offered. 
"Oh? You're into falconry?" Ayumi looked up at him, "You're always surprising me, y'know!"
Madara looked away, not accustomed to such flattery. "It's Uchiha tradition."

"A falconer huh." Ayumi looked outside to the window, "It oddly suits you."
And then for a couple of seconds, they both shared a tender glance, neither of them averting their gaze.

The couple stood outside now in the evening rain, the falcon carrying Ayumi's message in a pouch.

"These birds when found ferrel can be domesticated through continuous disciplined training." Madara explained, the bird's wings flapping intensely. "Certainly faster than any messenger bird offered back in our village."

Ayumi was staring at the Uchiha in awe, she now crossed her arms. 

"Seriously, what else are you good at?" She huffed in annoyance. 
"Just a hobby of mine." Madara briskly replied. 

The bird took its cue from Madara and flew away. 
"So quick!" Ayumi stared at its trail throughout the sky. "He must be really comfortable around you."
"I'd like to think so." Madara placed his hands on his hips. "Anyway, it should reach Konohagakure within the hour."

-

It was the dead of night now, and Madara had been far too distracted in his mind to even think of sleep. He stood outside instead, practicing his kenjutsu, thinking of the two grieving children who were now asleep inside his cottage.

Though not once had he ever experienced the likes of such an inclination, he felt obligated to protect them for her sake. To protect Ayumi's happiness, he told himself. He wouldn't let anything get in the way. And he would slay the shinobi who were responsible.
Madara dug his katana through the soil beneath him, now admiring the moon that had been shining oddly bright. 
Madara frowned. Madara recalled at how adamant he had been to master the Infinite Tsukuyomi genjutsu just a year ago.To think that I would fall for such a jutsu. I ought to be ashamed of myself. I would have wrecked the shinobi world and its entirety. I would have lost her too. The Uchiha thought to himself. He quickly shook his head though. No. No time for pondering now.

"I see you're just like Ayumi." He heard a familiar voice, turning around on his heels.

"Koniko." Madara spoke lowly.
"Ayumi admires the moon at night too. But it looks like its for different reasons." She eyed his katana. Madara looked away, merely uninterested, as if she had interrupted his train of thought.

"Nice sword." Koniko looked at it from a distance. "Tungsten?"

Madara stepped forward, shaking his head. "Carbon steel."
"Good choice. That'll maintain sharper edges over time."

Madara closed his eyes, and then opened them back again to look at the moon. "Are you into swords?"
"Well," She itched the back of her head, "Sorta have to be in order to keep up with Ayumi-hime. And it helps that it's a part of our clan history too." 

"Seems like we must have a lot in common." Madara spoke, "I think you should head back to sleep. It's late and we head out early."

Koniko meekly nodded and left.

-

Moments later Madara followed Koniko to try and get some shut eye, it would help him stay sharp after all. He eyed the empty futon that was placed next to Ayumi who had been knocked out as a log, and the other three who had also been asleep on the other side of the room. He quietly placed his katana next to him, sliding under the covers.
Madara would be burdened with two missions on this trip - to capture the people guilty for the murders, and to get a ring. The Uchiha exhaled, staring at the ceiling, until a slumber took over his eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 3.6K 23
Uchiha clan and Hyūga clan have a living secret... Hira Hyūga was born from the two clans.. funny thing is she is the half-sister to Itachi and Sasu...
29K 878 8
~Complete~ ties in with my itachi story, what could have been. The Uchiha Clan and Hyuga Clan come to an agreement that will change the life of Sasuk...
1.4K 80 19
Fuyumi Senju gives up her life to a spirit of the blood moon, giving up her life and body to become something Butsuma would be proud of, training at...
339K 12.5K 44
Madara was at the age of 10 when he meets a girl on a lake. Her unusual appearance makes him wonder , while being on the era of great battle, the you...