Love on the Run (From Zombies)

By LilyCrussell

Rain has loved Jack for as long as she can remember, but it takes the zombie apocalypse for him to notice her. More

Love on the Run (From Zombies)
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 3

3.7K 111 29
By LilyCrussell

Work was just like every other day; Jack ignored me, I tried to ignore him.

It was difficult. He was beautiful.

All staff on the showrooms dept wore crisp white shirts and smart black trousers. He looked stunning in his. He always wore it with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows; his wrists were pure porn for me. He had a tattoo on each one though I

’d never been close enough to see it in detail, but they looked like stars.

He had abandoned his tie and unbuttoned his shirt; he looked like he’d stepped out of a fashion catalogue. I was huddled up in extra layers, freezing cold. I was so sexy with my bright red nose and all the sniffing.

Every day was the same, he kept to himself, and I kept to myself. I’d abandoned trying to start conversations as he blatantly wasn’t interested. It wasn’t that he was rude. Maybe he was shy, maybe he hated the job so much he wanted to pretend he wasn’t here. I knew how he felt, this place sucked!

The customers were hateful, the music was at least twenty years out of date (I love 80’s music, but they only used the depressing stuff) the job itself was minimum wage and sucky.

I tried to make eye contact with him, even if he scowled I loved it. He was like a grumpy child sometimes and that amused me.

My plans for us to elope and marry weren’t going well. Obviously I wasn’t so disillusioned as to think that would actually happen, but my dreams were haunting me.

Why couldn’t he just be polite?

I decided I would turn the adoration I felt into hate, but it wasn’t that easy.

Work generally required interaction with your colleagues. I would blank him and he could come running to me. Chances were I was giving him exactly what he wanted, but I had to try a new tack.

Ended up I didn’t have to ignore him; I just had to drop something heavy on my foot.

“Oh god, oh god, Jesus, God in hell!” I yelled, the heavy box I’d dropped lay on the floor looking innocent, a foot away from my feet.

A head appeared above the divide.

Jack.

He looked vaguely concerned, probably more worried about my swearing upsetting customers and losing him commission.

“Piece of crap!” I kicked the box with my good foot. I was dancing on the spot, my foot throbbing, probably bleeding and broken.

“Looks like you won’t be playing the piano for a while.”

I stopped hopping and turned in shock.

Jack was laughing at me! He walked around the desk to see what had happened.

“I would have moved it if you’d asked.” He gave me a devastating smile.

“Like hell you would.” I hissed.

It was bad enough my foot was killing me, but the guy I worshipped was laughing! I was so angry I was amazed I didn’t spontaneously combust.

“You barely acknowledge my existence! You’ve not spoken two words to me since I started working here.” I growled.

I looked up, expecting him to be angry, but he was laughing hysterically.

“Yeah it’s hilarious when a dancer breaks her foot.” I spat.

It wasn’t strictly true, I hadn’t done ballet in a few years and I’d never been any good when I had but I wanted him to feel guilty.

He swept his hair out of his eyes and smiled sweetly.

“I’m sorry.”

I shot him a sarcastic look.

“No, really I am sorry. Sit down and let me have a look.”

No way in hell was I letting him look at my awful feet. I may not have been any good at ballet, but I still had the scars from when I had done it.

“No.” I huffed.

He laughed again. If I wasn’t so angry, I would have adored the sound.

“Well take a seat anyway, you should rest it.”

I sat down and pulled off my shoe. Yup, it was bleeding like a bitch! My feet bled easily, it was no biggy, but it hurt like hell. I could still move everything so assumed nothing was broken.

The afternoon passed slowly. My foot hurt but was no longer bleeding. I could walk just fine and was a little disappointed that I hadn

’t needed to see a Dr so I could make Jack feel guilty.

He was unrepentant, but at least he was talking to me.

It seems the way to get a guy’s attention is to try to break your foot.

It was hardly deep meaningful conversation, but it was conversation. I’d take that over silence any day.

A cold voice came over the tannoy system, shaking me from my reverie.

This is a customer announcement, all customers are to leave by the nearest available exit. This is not a drill. You are advised to return to your homes and follow instructions that will be broadcast on all television stations. I repeat this is not a drill….”

It repeated, the voice monotone and unfeeling with a hint of menace. It wasn

’t one I recognised.

I turned to Jack; he looked as confused as I felt, his green grey eyes shining in curiosity.

What the hell?” I got to my feet and walked (hobbled) to the edge of the plinth to see what was happening.

The scene below me shook me to my very core. I backed away slowly and ran back to the desk.

They have guns.” I breathed.

Jack’s eyes met mine, full of questions. He obviously thought I was joking.

They have guns.” I repeated my voice without a hint of amusement.

Who have?”

“Military I think. What’s happening?”

I fell into a chair next to Jack, unsure what to do. This just didn

’t happen. This was England not America, guns were not a part of everyday life here.

This must be serious.

This is a staff announcement;”

The same male voice boomed over the tannoy, authoritative and without emotion.

All staff are to stay exactly where they are. Do not move; do not leave your sections. This is not a drill. Further instructions will follow.”

I heard steel toe capped boots coming up the stairs; several pairs of feet all in perfect unison.

Within seconds, the muzzles of several guns were pointed at us, their owners in fatigues, gas masks and welders

’ gloves, any gaps between clothing and skin were taped up. That said ‘Biohazard’ to me as that’s always what happened in the movies. But this wasn’t a movie! Nothing ever happened in this town!

Do not move. “ A voice issued from one of the masks.

I couldn’t have if I had wanted to, I was frozen to the spot in fear. I could feel my eyes were wide with shock and my hands were shaking. I looked from the soldiers to Jack and back again. I was hoping this was some sick joke on a hidden camera show.

What’s going on?” I asked in a small voice.

Do not move.”

“I won’t, just tell us what’s happening.” I whimpered, hating how pathetic I sounded.

Nothing. No response, no flicker of movements from the four figures pointing guns at us.

I heard Jack get to his feet behind me, the chair sliding backwards and scraping the floor. The guns moved their aim from my head to his.

Do not move, you will not be told again.”

“I’m not going to do anything, just tell us what’s happening.” Jack’s voice was calm and strong, his hands held in front of him to show submission. I didn’t think I’d ever seen anything bother him as he didn’t let it. This was different though. It wasn’t people teasing or being rude, this was the military with guns! Guns!

Nothing. No movement from the soldiers at all.

I could see my face reflected in the eye glass of the respirators. I was pale - even more so than usual- my eyes wide and my mouth hanging open. The reflection wasn’t shaking, but I guessed that was because I was shaking at the same speed so it looked as though she was still.

The radio on one of the soldier’s shoulders crackled to life. He didn’t move an inch, his hand the only part of him to respond.

All units move out.”

“Yes sir.” The soldier breathed. Male, probably no older than me.

They began to back away, their aim still on the centre of my forehead. When they reached the stairs, they turned and trotted down them, still in unison like they were all part of the same entity.

I fell back into the chair I had just vacated, still deeply shaken, still unsure what to do now.

What was that about?” Jack whispered, looking at me intently. Probably worried I was about to faint.

I shook my head in reply. It was all I could manage.

This is a staff announcement; stay where you are, do not move or we will be forced to fire. Do not move or we will be forced to fire.”

The same voice. I doubted even he knew what was going on, the decision makers tended to stay clear of situations like this. They were just grunts following orders, probably as clueless as the rest of us. But at least they had something to do; some function and purpose. That was infinitely better than sitting and trying to comprehend.

I tried to search my memories of the last few days, wanting some hint as to what was going on. And why. Maybe this was the start of Armageddon or judgement day. I rubbed at my eyes in irritation. I didn

’t believe in all that.

Shots were fired down stairs, snapping me back to the present, my shaking began afresh. I hoped they were just warning shots, that no one I knew was feeling the hot kiss of metal tearing their skin and shattering their bones.

I shuddered. I was too afraid to go and see. I didn’t want to end up the next target.

Rain.” Jack was watching me, fear in his eyes.

This could have been due to the situation, or at the fact that he thought I might snap. I knew I wasn’t far off.

Not knowing was the worst part. If I knew what was happening I could try to help or do something. Staring into space in a daze wasn’t helping anyone.

“This is a staff announcement; we will be leaving now. Do not move until all units have left the building. Failure to comply will result in guns being fired.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

429 128 57
This isn't just another zombie story. Its real life. The disease eats and craves and mutates. Nothing is ever as it seems. The world is falling apart...
1.1K 161 37
When a somewhat normal teenage girl, Lei, is thrown into a world of zombies due to a recent outbreak, she wins and loses many battles-with the dead a...
68 22 24
It is the year 2074 and a zombie apocalypse has taken over the world. Seraphina, is a 16-year old girl who lives in the world of Vexeka, where the zo...
555 20 8
ᴀᴘᴏᴄᴀʟʏᴘꜱᴇ ᴀᴜ✩ (After losing her best friend, Y/N had to learn to survive outside and alone while only being 16. She thought it was too dangerous to...