Afterglow | The Clone Wars

By WritingAvengerA113

book 1 " my only order to you is to not follow orders " Dakota Ky. Jedi of the Republic, General of t... More

A / N
| About |
1 | Landing at Point Rain
2 | Brain Invaders
3 | The Deserter
4 | Grievous Intrigue
5 | Duchess of Mandalore
6 | The Duchess and The Jedi
7 | The Beginning
8 | Bounty Hunters
9 | The Zillo Beast
10 | The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
11 | Looming Gates
12 | The Corruption of Mandalore
13 | Led Me Here
14 | Distracted
15 | The Crisis on Naboo
16 | The Blue Shadow Virus
17 | The Wasted
18 | Clouds over Coruscant
19 | To Catch A Jedi
21 | True Intentions
22 | Duel of Fates
23 | The Captains Plan
24 | Red
25 | The Unspoken
26 | Allies
27 | Two to One
28 | Sisters
29 | Good Soldiers
30 | The Dark Fire
31 | Attack on Citadel
32 | High Stakes
33 | Counter Attack
34 | Lost in the Fire
35 | Bleeding Out
36 | Anyone Else
37 | Armor
38 | Curse of Attachment
39 | The General
40 | Peace
41 | Frozen Rescue
42 | Destined Divergence
43 | Umbara
44 | Guilt
45 | Sea of White and Blue
46 | Torn Apart
47 | Kidnapped
48 | The Offer
49 | Shadow of the Enemy
50 | Ventress
51 | Better or Worse
52 | The Diminishing
53 | Hood of Denial
54 | Mural
55 | Jedi
56 | Revenge
57 | Deception of Death
58 | Ghost
59 | Spirit in the Force
60 | Heart of a Mandalorian
61 | Rex
Afterglow II

20 | Sins in A Smile

3.9K 146 35
By WritingAvengerA113

Satine broke away from the republic transport and scrambled towards the steps of the Jedi Temple later that same night. She had been in a state of panic since she lost track of Master Ky. Her chest rose and fell in utter dread, and sweat clung to her forehead as she ran. Master Kenobi was there to meet her at the bottom of the temple steps, along with Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano who followed closely behind "Satine, slow down, calm down!" he attempted to ease her "What's going on?" Obi-wan asked, placing his hands on her shoulders as she halted breathlessly in front of him.

"Da- M-Master Ky!" She gasped, placing her hand on her chest as she caught her breath. She looked over her shoulder and pointed in the general direction of where Dakota was in the never ending city "There was a person who came after us, Master Ky and I"

"Who was it?" Anakin demanded, the concern for his co-general rising.

"I don't know, I- I've never seen him before!" She babbled, rubbing her forehead "Just, Master Ky got me to safety, in a very unorthodox manner if I may add, but I don't know where she is now. And I heard blaster fire back there, and I fear the worst!"

"Are you alright?" Obi-wan asked, wanting to take her hand but decided against it.

"That doesn't matter! What matters is the safety of Master Ky. Do you not care?"

"Duchess, of course I care" Obi-wan assured.

"I'll send for Rex" Anakin announced, turning to Ahsoka "Come on, snips, we got a co-gen to rescue"

Ahsoka narrowed her eyes humorously "Master, you know she hates it when we call her that"

"Well she's not here to get mad, now is she?" He smirked.

Satine scoffed, a look a disbelief was clear on her beautiful face. She put her hand to her stomach as the pit of dread grew in her gut "How can you all act so casual like this?!"

"Satine" Obi-wan sighed and stepped forward, her arms falling to his sides "We are concerned, believe us, but Master Ky knows how to handle herself. Take us to where you last saw her and we'll find her" Satine pulled away from him, still not looking convinced "I've know Dakota for a long time, she'll be alright"

"Yeah.." Satine mumbled to herself as Obi-wan walked away "so have I"

~

Above her head was a grey, rather dull appearing ceiling. It's metal material was rusted, and chipped in several areas. And numerous cracks ran along the perimeter and across the top. She laid motionless on the hard floor, her eyes focused on what's above. Electrified handcuffs were wrapped around her wrists, and two tightly on each ankle. To finish off the look, an electric collar was fixated on her neck. If she attempted to struggle against them, they would send an electric shock coursing through her body, which is something that she wanted to avoid.

She could tell that she was inside the room of a ship. The walls around her vibrated from the motion of it shooting through hyperspace. Her fingers tapped against her stomach patiently as she waited for the Bounty Hunter to come for her. She had been alone ever since she awoke from unconsciousness. After he electrocuted her back on Coruscant, he had thrown her on board his ship and took off across the galaxy. He had accomplished his mission, he had caught the Jedi. Now it was time to get paid. Dakota pulled herself up to a sitting position and leaned against the wall, closing her sharp green eyes.

She used this time to contemplate, to wonder who had sent the Bounty Hunter after her. She didn't have all that many sworn enemies that she knows of. She's never come in contact with Count Dooku or anyone like him, General Grevious only a few times. There is Ventress out there, but they've never crossed paths in person before. Hondo Ohnaka crossed her mind, but he's not an enemy, more of an inconvenience. She breathed out deeply, rubbing her fingers over the blaster wound on her wrist where the handcuff was. That's when Cad Bane emerged in through the sliding door.

"I was wondering where you were, Bane" she told him without opening her eyes "I was beginning to get lonely"

"A little solitary confinement against ones will never killed nobody" he said, coming to stand over her.

"How about we switch places, and we test that theory?" she offered, her voice low.

"I like where I am now" he kicked her leg to get her moving "Get up Jedi, we're approaching our destination"

"We're going to see my secret admirer?" she asked in a carefree manner, and willingly stood up, her legs and arms still connected by the thick chains.

"I don't care what this person is to you" he shrugged "I'm just doing my job"

"What an awful profession"

"Nothing can possibly be worse than being a Jedi"

She nodded some dark hair from her eyes, which had now completely fallen over her shoulders. The chains clinging to her body clanked together with each step that she took. Cad Bane took her arm and forcefully shoved her out from the musty room and into the narrow hallway. In his other hand, he gripped a device with a blatant red button. Dakota eyed it.

"You like this?" Bane noticed that she was looking at the remote in his hand "If you so much as struggle against these bonds, I'll shock you senseless"

"Hm" she hummed.

The main front hatch of Bane's vessel opened up slowly, revealing a surprisingly gorgeous view outside. She hadn't expected to see shining gold buildings and exotic flowers dotted across the landscape. It was beautiful "Get moving" he pushed her forward.

"At least tell me where in the galaxy I am" she started down the open hatch, the bright suns that surround the unfamiliar planet nearly blinding her.

"Canto Bight"

"Cantonica" she connected "The casino planet?"

Bane raised up his blaster and held it at her head "That's enough talking Jedi, or I'm pulling the trigger" he warned. She shrugged but closed her lips, continuing to the landing platform below. There was a glorious city that surrounded her at all edges, with a shimmering sea not too far in the distance. It was clear that wealth was present here. Gold paved the way and coated the city buildings. Other travelers had landed their designer vessels on the platform and dawned expensive clothing and exotic makeup.

A transport ship was waiting for the Bounty Hunter by the railing. He forced her to sit, still holding the gun. Not one person said a word about the questionable situation that the Jedi was in, nobody seemed to even care. She lead forward, fidgeting with the electric handcuffs "To the Casino" Bane told the driver.

She listened to his words, but didn't say anything. Bane kicked his feet up as the transport took off into the evening air. Of all the places, why would he bring her here? The city of shimmering buildings seemed to circle around one main, monstrous sized piece of architecture. Many vessels were landing and taking off from this particular buildings landing platform. If she wasn't held against her will, then she'd be enamored with the size of it all. The transport ship was taking them straight to this building. She figured this must be the casino.

The ship landed and Bane shoved her off first. She noticed instantly that there were other people who were being held in chains as well. A lot of them were female, some were male. What they all had in common was that they wore similar restraints as she did. Dakota dropped her eyes down to the electric handcuffs on her wrists and ankles, then up to another petrified woman who also had on restraints. They were the same ones. She looked around at the numerous others who had been forced into these restraints, and were being taken directly to the looming casino doors ahead. Dakota sensed a mass amount of darkness here, although it looked charming.

Bane led her up the grand staircase and through the front doors of the immense casino. The atmosphere was filled to the brim with excitement, and drunken laughs, yet held corruption and sin which seeped deep into the smiles of the gamblers. A band was off in the corner, playing an endless tune that no one danced to. Every light in the massive room was blaring, highlighting the gambling games on the lower levels. Players rolled dice and spun wheels, some throwing punches when they got the wrong end result.

This couldn't possibly be where Bane had crossed the galaxy to take her. She took a deep breath, this scene was all rather new to her. At the corner end of the casino where the bright lights couldn't quite reach, was a mellow area with one bar. Bane hauled the Jedi that way "You're being rather cooperative" Bane muttered.

"I'm curious" she responded.

"You're incredibly naive, that's what you are"

Three stairs led down to this dull bar area. At each half-circled table booth sat at least one person in chains "This is a trade" Dakota observed, eyeing how the Masters inspected the ones in chains, gripping their chins and feeling their skin. They forcefully took their faces with their hands to see their jaws. Dakota's nose twitched in rage at this. These poor people were being sold to the highest bidder. Some laughed obnoxiously out loud with drinks, roughly grabbing hold of the thick chains and pulling them, which caused discomfort to the ones who wore them "You're selling me" she stated.

"My dear, you've already been sold" Bane guided her to an empty booth and set her down.

"This is wrong, Bane" she narrowed her eyes.

"You think I give a shit?"

"You should"

He crossed his arms "As long as I'm not the one being affected here, then it doesn't bother me" his response pricked another wave of anger in the Jedi "Afraid, aren't we Jedi?"

"I guess I am" she leaned back against the booth as Bane connected her chains to the legs of the table that was implanted into the marble floor. She wasn't the only person here who had been kidnapped, but dozens of others. The scum of the galaxy come here to buy people, to wrongfully buy individuals who are unique and beautiful. She knew that this was slavery. How could such a high profile place such as Canto Bight promote such filth? In that moment, she made up her mind. When she escaped, she's bringing all of these trapped souls with her.

"Wait here, and don't even think about moving" Bane warned Dakota. She looked back up to the Bounty Hunter with anger present in her sharp green eyes. This sudden switch in facial expression did surprise Bane slightly. She had been more or less calm this entire trip, up to this point. He tipped his hat before breaking away to the bar for a drink.

Dakota watched him walk away, and turned in her seat to spy as he ordered a drink. Her arms were forced to remain in front of her because of the length of the chain. A Twi-lek woman who sat at the table beside hers held a fearful look in her eye as a Hutt was inspecting her pink tinted skin lustfully. She gazed at the Twi-lek, longing more than anything to do something, but at the moment her hands were tied. Her eyes scanned the entire room, taking in every person being held by chains, and every sick maniac who was paying to obtain them.

Her concentration didn't even falter when an all too familiar voice spoke dramatically from beside her. She pretended as if she didn't hear "Well well, now what do we have here? I don't believe my eyes! My beautiful Ky" he exclaimed, lifting his arms up in the air. She sighed, forcing herself not to look at him "This is the last place I'd expect to see a person of your stature. Ahh darling, you're not even going to look at me? I'm hurt, truly" he placed his hand to his chest painfully, closing his eyes. Dakota bit the inside of her cheek hard, but ultimately faced forward in her booth to finally look at the Pirate who stood before her "Ah, there we go, there's my favorite Jedi!"

"Is there something you want?" She asked, resting her elbows on the brown, circular table.

"Just to say hello, is that too much to ask?" he asked boldly, placing his hand on the table close to her arm and leaning forward.

She met his eyes "Yeah, little bit"

"I've got some money to spare"

She pushed away and leaned back against the seat, her leg bouncing under the table "What the hell are you doing here, Hondo? This is low, even for you"

Honda Ohnaka gasped, jumping back as if he had been burned by her words. He took a look around the room quickly, his lips struggling to form words for a brief second "Y- you think I am here to buy people?" he tsk'd, waving his finger in disproval "My love, you are mistaken! I can't believe you think that low of me, breaks my heart" Dakota rolled her eyes at his level of acting ability "But, I'd say the real question is... why are you here?"

"Jedi business" she muttered "Now leave me alone, Hondo"

"That Bounty Hunter is with you" Hondo observed, turning slightly to eye Cad Bane who was at the bar. He was being served a drink "He captured you, didn't he? How unfortunate"

"He says he's planning to sell me... wait a minute" she paused and thought deeply, her eyes snapping up to the Pirate as her nostrils flared "Is it you?! Did you purchase me?! I swear to God!"

"I already told you, Ky. I don't roll like that!" He defended, raising his arms up in surrender. She sank back against the seat "My men and I come here to refuel, surprisingly gas is cheap! Anyway, while refueling, I overheard that... the most stunning, exquisite Jedi had been brought in this morning to the casino" he said wistfully "I figured it was either you or Skywalker, so I just had to come take a look"

"That doesn't make me hate you less"

"You didn't hate me back in the day there, love" he chuckled with a smirk and slid into the booth directly across from her.

"You kidnapped me, held me hostage, put up a ransom! What about that are you not able to understand?" she hissed, tapping her finger to her temple, the chains rattled on her wrists.

Hondo noticed the dried blood on her wrist "Did he hurt you?" he motioned

The corner of her lip curled up in disgust "don't talk to me like that"

"I'm concerned, Ky! I am! Your well-being in important to me!"

"Why, so your next ransom can be higher?"

Cad Bane returned to the table, a drink pressed against his lips "I see that you're making friends, Jedi" Hondo pursed his lips at Bane's tone and stood up from his seat "Get out of here, pirate"

"I'm leaving because I want to" Hondo said over his shoulder before walking away. Dakota followed after him with her eyes until he faded from view. He had been telling the truth about coming to this city to refuel, she could sense it.

Once Hondo was gone, Bane set his cup down on the table "Your buyer is here"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 3.1K 27
BOOK ONE IN THE SKYWALKER TWIN SERIES I WROTE THIS WHEN I WAS 12 SORRY FOR ALL THE ERRORS! THE SEQUEL IS BETTER ABOUT THAT STUFF Bout to go under MA...
30.6K 836 35
Book two of Ahsoka, Daughter of the Light. Ahsoka Tano has left the Jedi Order, after an incident where she was framed for bombing the Jedi Temple an...
4.3K 180 13
~Short Story~ A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. After being accused of treason against the Jedi Order, Ahsoka Tano finds herself unable to w...
1.1K 136 14
Running, the most ubiquitous of actions is a symbol of our human tendency to flee from our troubles - be they fears, heartaches, or even those closes...