The Six

By RachaelMole

6 People. 6 Powers. 1 Secret. Light vs Dark. The Battle Is Coming. Completed! I will be adding new chapters a... More

A Brief Word
Prologue
Chapter One- Friends
Chapter Two- Spring
Chapter Three- Prayers
Chapter Four- Revelations
Chapter Five- Destiny
Chapter Six- Orders
Chapter Seven- Escape
Chapter Eight- Experiments
Chapter Nine- Lessons
Chapter Ten- Docked
Chapter Eleven- Rolezal
Chapter Thirteen- Brothers
Chapter Fourteen- Bound
Chapter Fifteen- Burn
Chapter Sixteen- Eden
Chapter Seventeen- Whispers
Chapter Eighteen- Seer
Chapter Nineteen- Secrets
Chapter Twenty- Mountains
Chapter Twenty One- Energy
Chapter Twenty Two- Betrayed
Chapter Twenty Three- Innocence
Chapter Twenty Four- Worries
Chapter Twenty Five- Caged
Chapter Twenty Six- Charged
Chapter Twenty Seven- Mortals
Chapter Twenty Eight- Kas
Chapter Twenty Nine- Defenses
Chapter Thirty- Plan
Chapter Thirty One- Daddy
Chapter Thirty Two- Protocol
Chapter Thirty Three- Collide
Chapter Thirty Four- Promotion
Chapter Thirty Five- Fiercesome
Chapter Thirty Six- Charge
Chapter Thirty Seven- Confessions
Chapter Thirty Eight- Darkness
Chapter Thirty Nine- Hero
Chapter Forty- Falling
Chapter Forty One- Fulfilled
Chapter Forty Two- Awakening
Chapter Forty Three- Grief
Chapter Forty Four- Farewells
READ ME !
READ ME! 2.0
Characters!

Chapter Twelve- History

1.5K 98 21
By RachaelMole

The thud of books hitting the floor woke Eboni from her sleep. Bolting upright her blurry eyes focused and with the little light the early morning sun gave her she looked around the room, her heart racing from the rude awakening.

After collecting herself together she slipped out of the covers and retrieved the books from the floor, setting them back onto the bed so she could begin to read. There was no way she was falling back to sleep now.

Taking the small leather bound journal off the pile she rested it against her knees, her back up against the velvet headboard, turning the pages slowly so as to not damage them. 'Elementi bringer of light- a journal of the world' the title read. Turning to the first chapter she snuggled back into the warmth of the covers and began to read.

Writings of John Currows

First day of the first summer, 500AE. 1.1.2.500.

With our creators promise to continue to look down on his people, I have decided to take it upon myself to brave the vast oceans that separate our glorious lands.

As I am writing this I am currently sat on a small vessel traveling north towards God's Land. There I hope to meet the holy ones and learn more about the lands I am about to traverse.

My Captain is a spritely young chap, who I am beginning to fear has stolen his father's boat and convinced his father's crew to join me upon this mission. Not that I blame him at all, the knowledge and adventure that awaits us is palpable.

We have been sailing for just over two days now and though we have enough food and beer to last us a few weeks, I can sense the crew is getting restless at not being able to see land- though if my calculations are correct I believe we should see our Creators first land very soon. I will update this journal as my adventure continues, for now though I have a terrible headache from far too much beer and fear I may need to sleep for another two days to make it disappear.

2.1.2.500.

Upon this morning, as the sun began to rise, we could see God's Land for the first time. We are but a moment away from docking onto their shores. A large crowd is beginning to form on the beaches, I do hope they are friendly and do think of me - or this ship's crew- as hostile. We have a lot to learn from one another and the King wishes me to start trading talks. Not that I will do so quickly and willingly, I do not know their temperament nor their willingness to accept other rulers demands.

I will write more later, as the ship has now docked. Exciting times surely are ahead.

5.1.2.500.

The ship's crew along with my good self, have been warmly accepted into the community of this land. God's Land truly is a sight to behold. It rises and falls like waves and the trees are a dark red colour. Most peculiar and yet so beautiful. The High Priest and Priestess, the overseers of this land, have kindly gifted me with a few of their treasures and I thought it was a good time to get King Leopold's trading talk out of the way. They have refused, very diplomatically. I admire their ways, it is so much more peaceful and loving than Rolezal. I cannot wait to see what other treasures the other lands hold.

16.1.2.500.

After an insightful conversation with one of the Brothers of the Land a few days previously he could direct me to a set of scrolls which outline the basic map points of where each land is, there is so much more out there I had never dreamed of and we are setting sale to the Barren Lands at high tide tomorrow morning. I leave this land with another adventure and many good friends.

20.1.2.500.

We have arrived at the barren lands. It is with a heavy heart and much disappointment that the scrolls were right. It truly is- even after many hundred years- incapable of life. The only characteristics worth noting is that the land is vast and rocky and the ocean that surrounds it treacherous. It took us two days of steady and careful sailing to reach its shores. We are moving on to Sher Woods. The stories of the lands there could not be more different from the one I have just stood on. I do hope that in the future here, life begins to flourish as Elementi intended.

25.1.2.500.

Sher-woods was not hard to spot at all. The bright green mass of trees that covered the land stood out from the blue horizon like a sore thumb. The tales of the luscious greenery that coats the land has not been exaggerated. I cannot wait to step upon its soil.

30.1.2.500.

I do not know whether the happy jubilation of myself at such an adventure is shared by the crew. I shall explain- After landing on the shores of the fertile land we were shot with wooden arrows and short dagger like weapons, which I have but a few hours ago, concluded were dipped in poison. Luckily the captain and his crew had the foresight to jump back aboard. The same however cannot be said for myself and I found myself running towards those who were trying to do us harm to tell them we were only there to explore.

Of course, I now see that waving my arms while running towards them shouting was not the best idea I have had- something which I have noted and saved for future reference. After being knocked out and then awoken tied to the top of the tallest tree- that I later found out was infested with little red ants that had a taste for blood- I concluded that the people of this land just wanted to be left alone.

I made my escape by cutting away the rope, promptly falling half way down to the ground before a luckily placed vine halted my decent and allowed me to climb the rest of the way down. I then raced through the woods to try and find the ocean all while the captain had given up on me and started to sail away. Luckily for me the ship was only a good swim away.

Things I have noted on this trip-

The people are not to be disturbed- note: Poison daggers.

The animals are not to be disturbed- note: red blood ants.

The sea animals are not to be disturbed- note: mysterious bite after swimming half way to the ship that seems to have made my leg swell up to double its usual size.

It really was a truly marvellous experience.

We are now sailing south towards the legendary land of Admari and hope to arrive in less than a week, I do hope they have advanced medical knowledge, as the ship's doctor seems to be baffled as to the nature of my leg injury.

5.2.2.500.

I have been unable to pick up my pen for many a day now due to the fever that has been ravishing my body. It seems to have broken this morning and to say I am grateful would not be enough. I have been praying for the torture to end and it seems the creator has finally heard me.

The captain has just informed me they are docking on a small land north of Admari for a few days to replenish both food and medical supplies. I will be glad of a bed that does not rock to and fro with the waves for a few nights.

7.2.2.500.

The weather is unbearably hot, I have taken to wearing the light cotton garments of the inhabitants of the small island of Enti. Their medical skills have far surpassed my expectation and I am now able to walk on my leg again. They have agreed to write a scroll full of their medical practices for me to take home, for this knowledge needs to be shared with the masses.

The Land of Admari is visible from where I stand and after talking too many of the inhabitants here it seems they are not happy to be ruled over by a land so vast and different from their own. Of course, never having been to Admari I could not give my opinion, so it will be interesting view it with their grievances in mind. We are to set sail tomorrow afternoon, the royal court there has been told of our travels by a traveling merchant and is eager for our arrival. I must note that the Empress is said to be a great beauty- I am looking forward to see whether she compares to the ladies of Rolezal.

8.2.2.500.

After saying goodbye to new friends with the promise one day returning, we set sail for Admari. The journey took us the afternoon and the closer to land we got the hotter it became. The sweltering heat makes me grateful for the steady climate of Rolezal.

We were received by the Empress's guards, who after a long interrogation as to our intentions led us through the vibrant city to the palace. I thought King Leopold's palace was a sight to behold but this is something from dreams- It is literally carved from an entire mountain. The faces of the crew were priceless, though I believe mine looked the same.

The tales of her beauty were right, she truly is a sight to behold. Her clothing does not leave anything to the imagination, not that the crew or myself mind at all.

The food here is rich and flavoursome. There seem to be different spices in every dish. The wine here is full bodied and well made, I have ordered four cases- one of which to present to the king. I am sure he will appreciate it as much as myself.

The Empress wishes to show me round her country herself, though I will not venture through the mountains to a city I only know of as Cerina. It seems like a touchy subject so I have decided not to bring it up anymore. We set off at high noon tomorrow, excitement is not a strong enough a word to explain how I am feeling.

10.2.2.500.

After travelling through the morning alongside the Empress, we have stopped for lunch at the base of the mountains leading to Cerina. She has brought with her a convoy of over 200 staff. Most consist of guards that are constantly alert. A young boy ran out into our path a few hours into our journey and all the soldiers looked like they would have struck him down, no questions asked if it weren't for his mother running after him and apologising profusely to the Empress. She was quickly ushered out of our sight and all but forgotten just a few moments later.

We have been informed we shall have to make the last part of our journey alone. No soldiers of the Empress are permitted to go past the first mountain ridge. It does make me wonder what lies ahead and that if the Empress is wary about the people of her own land I should be wary too. Yet here I sit, adrenaline coursing through my body as I imagine every amazing outcome that could possibly occur. I do sense that my companions do not feel the same and many are wondering if they would be able to sneak back to the ship. The captain though seems to be on my side and eager as ever in his young years to see what is to come.

14.2.2.500.

To say we are tired is an understatement. We ran out of fresh water yesterday so imagine our relief to find the natural springs that flow freely through the mountains, it is the most refreshing water you could ever taste. We have decided to follow the water as the paths ended this morning and we are lost. Not that I mind, I have witnessed the most beautiful creatures and have taken the liberty of drawing them for the King but I fear that he shall set out on an expedition only to capture and cook them. It is settled then, they shall remain in here for my eyes only.

Smoke was spotted a few moments ago, coming from behind the mountain in front of us, many are wary that it is a forest fire and if we venture towards it we shall not see Rolezal again. I believe however I have managed to convince them of civilisation. I guess only time will tell.

18.2.2.500.

I was right! We have found the 'city' of Cerina, though it is more like a small town. The people here were very suspicious at first but have seemed to have warmed to the idea of us travelling around the world. The Empress here is a subject not to be talked about. I can see why. She doesn't like to venture to see them and they do not like to leave their mountains. I feel they would be better off as two separate countries but I do not see the Empress letting half of her land go anytime soon. I just hope they do not have to resort to violence to get the freedom they crave.

The soldiers here are unlike any I have encountered thus far. They consist of both men and women! Once I realised that the women were more intimidating than their male counterparts I could see the ingenuity of having such an equal society. I do feel sorry for those who get on the wrong side of these folk.

Cerina is in the basin of a valley, surrounded by mountains on every side. I have been informed that there are many other smaller villages around the mountains but the people there like to stick to themselves. The sky seems to be always blue and the grass healthy and green from the constant supply of fresh mountain water. I could see myself staying here for a long time if I could. I find it is easy here to find time for quiet contemplation. I look forward to traveling to the last land Tozaro so I can finish my journey and decide upon my next one. I will be visiting here again.

22.2.2.500.

The date is the 22nd day of the second summer. We have just made our way back to our ship and I am currently watching the Land of Admari get smaller as we sail to Enti to collect the medical documents I have ordered. It is half a day's detour to Tozaro but worth the journey I am sure. The collective knowledge of this world is something to be admired I am sure, If only there is a way of collecting it all together and sharing it without bias.

I am positive that once I return home to Rolezal and the people see I have not perished on my journey, many other budding explorers will set out on their own journeys- I only hope others from the different lands do so also. I should like to imagine the face of King Leopold if the Empress of Admari were to show up on his shores!

25.2.2.500.

The ship has docked on what I can only call the most glorious land of them all. Tozaro was foretold in scriptures to have been made through pure beauty and yet I was so hesitant in my thinking to believe such a tale! Oh, how I was wrong, the beauty of this land- It is blinding!

The people seem kind and generous. But there is something not quite right. I cannot place my finger on it. Another adventure is coming, I can feel it in my bones! Every colour seems so pure and bright, every drop of water glistens in the sun. There is such sensory overload I don't know where to look first! I have been housed with a wealthy family who are the most wonderful hosts.

Their daughter Anabele is a creature no other can compare to and I fear I may be falling in love. After a few moments in her company she has bewitched me, her long dark brown hair swirls around her shoulders, her light blue eyes dancing with joy at the tales of the other lands. Her lips are pink and full and oh! How I wish to kiss them. I will fall asleep tonight dreaming of her I am sure.

26.2.2.500.

I was right, something is wrong. This place, with all its beauty is evil. I felt it last night as I laid in the dark. Something was there, watching me. The cold chill that went up my spine warned me to its nature. I am not sure how such a place, filled with so much light and gifted with so much beauty could harbour such a thing. I drew Anabele to the side and walked with her to the gardens out of earshot of anyone who could be possessed by such evil to speak with her. She knew. I could see it in her eyes. Darkness is slowly seeping into the minds of these people and with their eyes so distracted by the beauty they cannot stop it. I do not think anyone can. I fear for the future, I truly do.

28.2.2.500.

We fled at first light, I managed to convince the crew to the nature of which their uneasiness came.  To my upmost delight Anabele agreed to come with me. The darkness is in her mind though, I can still feel it when we are together. I do not know what to do. I cannot return to Rolezal and allow the darkness to spread through the land. That would certainly be dooming us all. I shall have to think quickly though as we are sailing into the vast ocean with no land around us we call upon for help.

I am keeping my fears to myself. I do not want to cause mutiny upon this vessel if the men fear that Anabele could do them harm. I have given her my room in the hope that she will be more comfortable there, I have taken a blanket and pillow to the cargo hold. I find it is a good space to think.

30.2.2.500.

I have instructed the Captain to travel to God's Land. The high Priest and Priestess should have some knowledge and wisdom on what to do. We are a few days away and the uneasiness is starting to grow at night upon the people of this ship, myself included. I do not know how long it will be until we all start to succumb to the power of Darkness.

2.1.3.500.

We have arrived at God's Land. I took a rowing boat to the shores alone, I did not want the crew to hear what I must ask. The High Priest and Priestess could sense my troubles as soon as I arrived on their doorstep and ushered me into the library to talk. I explained as best I could and they have agreed that Anabele cannot come back with me to Rolezal. My heart feels like it has been ripped out of my chest, but I cannot doom the world to darkness for a chance at love.

She is to remain here, apparently, there is a spell surrounding the temple that will keep the Darkness from visiting her in her sleep. I feel this is the only way to save her.

They are hiding something too, I can feel it. But I think from their grave expressions they were perhaps expecting something like this. With our Creator gone from this world it is not surprising that other powers have begun to see what they could take for their own. I just hope that when the time does come to fight we have those capable of matching their power- for we will not go down without a fight.

16.1.3.500.

I have not felt like writing much at all. I left Anabele under the protection of God's Land and sailed back to Rolezal. The King was mightily pleased with the goods I brought back as gifts and as I suspected many people have already taken to the seas to travel. I promised Anabele I would visit her but I am not sure that I will be able to leave again- The King has charged me to his service for another ten years. If I abandon my post to live in God's Land and stay with her he will kill me. Though with how I am feeling right now that sounds preferable.

I have decided to leave this journal here and place it in the far end of the library under 'D' for darkness. I cannot see anyone seeking it out until the Darkness becomes a serious threat. The library is hardly used by those in the palace and the scholars of this city have collected enough scripts to create their own library in the city, it should not be found until necessary.

Dear reader. If indeed you are reading this journal and the Darkness has come to consume the light of our great creator Elementi I am truly sorry I cannot be much of a help- I hope those who are stepping up to fight away the evil can prevail. I am praying for the future.

"Eboni?" Bren's voice said from the bottom of her bed. Looking up from the last page of the journal she saw Iasa stood by his side, both wearing troubled expressions.

"We have been stood here for ages, did you find something?" Iasa asked taking the journal from her hands.

"The writings of the first explorer- John Currows. He went to Tozaro in the year 500AD when the Darkness was beginning to take over the minds of the people who lived there. It was so sad." Eboni sniffed, wiping her tears away.

"Come now Eboni, this is why we are fighting- to stop the Darkness from hurting anyone else. Is there anything else in the book that could be of use to us?" Bren sat down next to her on the bed, Iasa on the other side.

"He went to Sher-woods. It doesn't seem to have changed much- I think perhaps we should go there first, if someone is trying to hide, there would be the perfect place to do it. We have a better chance at convincing the inhabitants to talk to us than the people who have been there before- We have our elements. If that doesn't make them stop and talk I don't know what will."

Bren shuddered no doubt remembering the tales of the savages who lived on the island, protecting it no matter what the cost.

"I will go and tell Orlan that is our first stop off then- If you are sure?" Bren stood up and walked to the door.

"I do not see why we should wait, better get it over with first so we can rule it out and go to the other Lands." Eboni smiled as Bren mock bowed with a flourish of his hand and left the room.

"Did you find anything out this morning?" she asked turning to Iasa who was busy staring out of a window, twisting her hair through her fingers.

"Hum?" She said with a small start "I showed Bren around the palace and we talked with Orlan. I also arranged a traveling wardrobe each for every possible situation we could come into- don't worry it won't take up much space in our rooms on one of my fathers unmarked vessels. Which by the way is much more acceptable for travel." She stood and walked over to the window, her hand twisting her hair again, as she stood in deep thought.

"When do we leave?" Eboni asked.

"Tomorrow morning. Orlan is filling the boat with food and weaponry, as well as making sure all the rigging is in order." She said walking to the door. "I am going to see where Bren got off to, enjoy the day reading." Shutting the door behind her Eboni stared after her in puzzlement- Iasa was distracted by something.

Sure that it was whether or not to wear pink or green shoes to travel in, Eboni put the journal to the side and picked up another book. Settling back into the bed she began to read again.

What do you think Eboni has just learned?Also bonus points for people who remember where the name John Currows has come up before...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 493 45
'You really impressed me today." he says pacing back and forth in front of me. "Thank you." I say standing at attention my chin up but fear building...
86 0 14
We live in a world where the power of Darkness and Light is passed from person to person. This balance maintains the harmony of the world: it's brigh...
4.2K 312 30
"Let them come," he growled to his warriors. "You may try to go against the tide, but in the end, the tide is rising...I am the tide, and I will be y...
3.3K 38 19
This is the original version of A New Beginning I wrote a long time ago, so take it with a pinch of salt! Its not great but marks a special place as...