Shadow Creatures || TIM DRAKE

By Justeen_96

DC Series Book One "No don't..." But her arms go up and the mesmerizing portals appear. Through the portal cl... More

⥈ PROLOGUE: born from shadows ⥈
⥈ chapter one: HEAT SIGNATURE ⥈
⥈ chapter two: AN OBSESSION ⥈
⥈ chapter four: THE BATCAVE ⥈
⥈ chapter five: GUESTS ⥈
⥈ chapter six: TRAINING ⥈
⥈ chapter seven: A BANSHEE ⥈
⥈ chapter eight: BRING IT ON ⥈
⥈ chapter nine: NOW YOU SEE ME ⥈
⥈ chapter ten: NOW YOU DON'T ⥈
⥈ chapter eleven: THE PHANTOM ⥈
⥈ INTERLUDE: plan b ⥈
⥈ chapter twelve: ONE-ON-ONE ⥈
⥈ chapter thirteen: READY OR NOT ⥈
⥈ chapter fourteen: POWER ⥈
⥈ chapter fifteen: FEAR ⥈
⥈ chapter sixteen: COUNCIL OF SHADOWS ⥈
⥈ chapter seventeen: NIGHTMARES ⥈
⥈ chapter eighteen: FIRST KISS ⥈
⥈ chapter nineteen: A VILLAIN ⥈
⥈ chapter twenty: MALUM HAS RISEN ⥈
⥈ chapter twenty-one: THE SECOND COMING ⥈
⥈ chapter twenty-two: A DEATH WISH ⥈
⥈ EPILOGUE: family ⥈

⥈ chapter three: HIDE N' SEEK ⥈

1K 42 2
By Justeen_96

« chapter iii: HIDE N' SEEK »

Tim parked his bike in an alley a few streets over from the apartment building. He could see the red brick structure looming in the distance and he knew better than to park just outside the building. If the girls saw him (if there truly was two of them hiding there) then Dabria would be able to use her powers to get them out of there and all Tim would find is a lot of nothing. 

Tim kind of regretted going out in costume all of a sudden. If he had worn plain clothes, put a hat over his head and worn some sunglasses then nobody would be the wiser as to he was, even if they saw him riding around on the Red Wing Bike. People would see him sure but they would never recognize him. Tim thought that this would be the best way to come, it was an outfit Dabria would recognize. If any ole weirdo walked into the building off the street, she might just attack him, not that Tim couldn't defend himself. 

Climbing up the fire escape of the building closest to him, Tim began the journey across the rooftops so he would look a little less conspicuous walking around on the ground and also because... Who had ever seen one of the Bat's not running across rooftops unless they were beating the snot out of someone on the ground or driving around to catch the bad guys? The Bat's and rooftops were synonymous with one another. 

Tim made his way carefully but quickly, his mind racing ten steps ahead of him as he considered his approach into the building. He already knew which apartment Adelaide's was, 204, but would they be there? Or would they choose a different place, one that was less damaged by the fire? Tim headed for the door that leads up to the roof and was able to pick the lock easy enough to get it open. As soon as he was inside, he began systematically checking all the apartments on the third floor.

The third floor was virtually untouched by the fire, aside from the floor damage in several key points of the building but other than that, the apartment appeared to be normal. Tim found no trace of a sleeping area on the third floor and no storage of food and supplies that were up to date so he quickly ruled out the third floor as a possibility. Tim hoped he was sneaking around quiet enough but he had gotten so laser focused in trying to find something that he wasn't being careful of his footing. It was a sloppy thing for him to do but it couldn't be helped now. He would just have to be extra careful on the second floor. 

Tim exited the stairwell on the opposite end of the hallway of where the girls might be staying. Even though the anticipation of finding them was building up inside of him, he continued to search through each apartment before 204 carefully. He didn't want to miss something important. He didn't want to loose any sort of trail he might be on. As Tim came upon the room 204, his heart rate picked up and he took a deep breath before getting ready to pick the lock to the door. Not really to his surprise though, it was unlocked. 

Tim pushed open the door slowly, careful to make sure it did not squeak on it's hinges. The door swung open easily and Tim immediately saw signs that someone had been here recently. He could smell fruit ripening out on the dining room table and see candy wrappers lying on the floor. The furniture was moved aside, all of it looking like it had been semi-cleaned of dust and soot. His eyes scanned the room slowly, looking for a place two girls might hide in this room but he saw none. Walking slowly into the apartment, he decided to move deeper in to look for them. 

Tim walked over the graying and blackened carpet, dust kicking up and settling on his boots. He crept across the worn brown carpet in the hallway and peeked into what could only be Adelaide's room when she was younger. It had very obviously, recently been slept in but Tim couldn't see anyone inside, unless they were hiding in the closet. Tim was about to step into the room when he heard a creak in the master bedroom in front of him. It was the kind of creak that happens when someone shifts their weight. Tim approached the room.

The master bedroom also looked very recently slept in. Covers were neatly pulled over the bed and there were blackened spots on the wooden floor and walls. Tim could tell it wasn't from the fire though. The burned portions of the apartment didn't reach this far. Tim wondered how Adelaide's parents died in the fire. Had they gotten caught trapped by something in a stairwell? Inhaled too much smoke? Tim scanned the room slowly, seeing nothing. He turned slightly, ready to check the master bathroom when an unusual shadow caught his attention. It was a shadow that wasn't attached to anything. 

Time turned back and stared right at the dark corner of the room where the shadow was coming from. It wasn't the shape of a human, more like a wavy blob but it could be a sort of human shape from a certain angle. Tim took a step forward. Was Dabria... Camouflaging herself? Suddenly, two girls appeared in front of him. The first was obviously Dabria. She was breathing heavily, probably from concentrating so hard on staying hidden and she was shielding, almost completely, with her body a smaller girl, Adelaide. 

Adelaide squeaked and clung to Dabria's clothes, burying her face in Dabria's back. Dabria's hands went up. "Wait!" Tim exclaimed. An orange circle swirled around in front of them and Dabria grunted as it fizzled out and died. 

"Leave us alone Batboy! We haven't done anything!"

"I know that Dabria." Tim said, surprising her as she tried to create another portal. Dabria paused.

"How do you know my name?" She demanded. 

"Dabria Tran, ward of the state."

"Not anymore." Dabria barked at him. "I'm eighteen. I belong to no one." Tim pursed his lips. 

"Ran away from several foster homes before disappearing completely from the system with Adelaide Costner." Tim said, nodding to the younger girl behind her. 

"I didn't kidnap her. We left together. You don't know what the Millington Family was like. We couldn't live there anymore and I wasn't going to leave without her." Adelaide didn't pick up her head, just clung tighter  to Dabria.    

"You're wanted for theft Dabria and you're squatting in this building. It's not safe. There's too much ash in here."

"We've been fine for two years. Now leave us alone before..." Tim could feel a threat attached to that sentence and smelled smoke. He glanced over at the wall on his right and saw that a small patch of paint was beginning to burn, a scorch march enlarging slowly. 

"I'm not here to turn you into the police or take Adelaide back to the Foster system okay? I just want to help."

"You can't help us and we don't want your help." Dabria said. The smell of smoke increased.

"We can help you. Batman can help you control your powers." Dabria laughed sarcastically.

"How can he help me? He doesn't even have powers. None of you do." 

"He's trained me. He's trained other Robin's and other kids with powers. He knows what he's doing. He's calculated, smart. He can help."

"He can't!" Dabria shouted at Tim. "And why should I trust you anyways? I don't even know who the hell you are." It was a risk but one Tim was willing to take. Slowly, he reached up and took off his mask, adjusting to the low light in the room. Dabria cocked her head at him. What the hell was this Batboy doing. Why was he unmasking? 

"You can trust me okay. You can trust Batman. I've known him most of my life." Dabria shook her head.

"If you think just because you took off your mask I'm going to trust you now, you're crazy." 

"I don't think you'll trust me just because I've taken off my mask. I'm hoping that you'll be able to see on my face that I just want to help in any way possible. You don't have to come with me to see Batman but I can do something else for you if that's what you want."

"I want you to leave us alone. Forever."  

"Dabria, Adelaide is nine. If you two ever get caught, you'll be charged with kidnapping. It won't matter what you or Adelaide says. You will go to jail. You're a legal adult now."

"No jail can hold me." Tim sighed, running one hand through his hair.

"Dabria, I know you meant well by running away with Adelaide but she's nine. She needs to go to school. She needs structure. She needs..."

"Me!" Dabria snapped at him. "Each other. We need each other. I don't know why you can't understand this but she's the only real family I have now!" Tim's shoulders fell slightly.

"I... I do understand." Tim said in a soft voice. When he had first became part of the Batfamily, he thought he might never fit in but over time, he couldn't imagine himself being anywhere else. Tim sighed. "Family is important Dabria and I know you both lost yours but... If Adelaide really is like a little sister to you then you need to think about what's best for her. Do you really think living in this condemned building is the best thing for her?" Dabria's jaw clenched and Tim knew he hit a nerve. She didn't want to keep Adelaide here. She probably had dreams of a better life, a happier life for the two of them.

"Leave Batbrat. You said you wanted to do something for us and I want you to leave us alone." Tim pursed his lips and slowly put his mask back over his eyes. 

"Okay, I'll leave. I'm sorry fort bothering you both." Tim said, turning around to exit the room. Before he could though another voice cried out,

"Wait!" Tim glanced over his shoulder and watched Adelaide shoot forward towards him. Dabria tried to grab her arm to atop her but Adelaide was faster and she was clutching to Tim's cape now. Her eyes looked watery. "Dabria is just trying to protect us but she knows you're right. We can't stay here but... There's nowhere else for us to go Robin. We don't know what to do." Tim didn't correct her by saying his name was Red Wing. It might just confuse her a little.

"It's okay Adelaide. I can talk to Batman. He'll figure out something for us to do but... I need you both to be in agreement here that you want our help." Tim said, glancing up at Dabria who seemed red in the face with anger, resentment and embarrassment. Dabria clenched her jaw and slowly, nodded. Time half smiled. "Alright, I'll call him." Tim pulled him iPhone out of his pocket, figuring he should just dial Bruce's cell number. It's not like Bruce was at home or the cave at the moment. He was at Wayne Enterprises. He answered on the second ring.

"Hello Tim, everything okay?" Bruce said, answering on the second ring.

"Hey B." Tim said, glad that Bruce and Batman both start with B. "I found her and she's not alone." Tim knew his vague answer would be enough for Bruce to figure out what he meant.

"Where are you?"

"A slightly unstable apartment building in downtown Gotham."

"Who else is there?" He was probably asking about Damian or maybe Adelaide.

"Robin isn't here." Bruce was quiet on the other end. "I told them I would help but they don't want to talk to law enforcement and I thought it would be best to call you first." Bruce took a deep breath. 

"Warehouse entrance on eighth street. I'll leave work early and I'll call Alfred." Tim was surprised. Bruce wanted him to take them to the cave? 

"Are... Are you sure?" Tim said, eyeing Dabria and Adelaide confused. Adelaide looked worried and Dabria looked like her fight or flight response was still in high gear. 

"I'm sure. I'll try to leave as soon as my meeting is finished okay?"

"Okay, see you then." 

"See you soon Tim." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 3.7K 15
Sevanna was the delinquent, the disappointment, the failure of a Wayne. She was always left out, yelled at, given up on, deemed useless, ignored. Nob...
21.3K 823 14
Life as a Robin ain't easy. People constantly try to kidnap you or use you as leverage or get a king's ransom for you or just get in your head. Not a...
1.1K 50 19
I 've seen multiple stories about Tim Drake, so I thought I'd make one as well, huge fan of young justice. This book is dedicated to @ZeninaD Her sto...
387K 8.9K 38
I quickly stood up from my chair and kicked it away. My face turning red from embarrassment. "You can do this, you can do this" I chanted to myself a...