DEAD STARS

By ASTRAGAZER-

[๐‘ป๐‘ถ๐‘ซ๐‘ถ๐‘น๐‘ถ๐‘ฒ๐‘ฐ ๐‘บ๐‘ฏ๐‘ถ๐‘ผ๐‘ป๐‘ถ] โ๐™„'๐™ข ๐™Ÿ๐™ช๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™– ๐™™๐™š๐™–๐™™ ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™๐™–๐™™ ๐™ก๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™จ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š ๐™ก๐™ค... More

I. THE GIRL BORN WITH EVERYTHING
II. THE PRIDEFUL AND THE IGNORANT
III. QUESTIONS
IV. WHAT THEY HAVE IN COMMON
V. STUDENT-TEACHER TAG TEAM
VI. IT'S NOTHING
VII. BURIED MEMORIES
VIII. STARGAZERS
IX. UNDER THE SAME SKY
X: UNEXPECTED FAMILY VISIT
XI. ICE COLD MEMOIRS
XII. ICE COLD RAINDROPS
XIII. AS THE ICE MELTS
XIV. SPORTS FESTIVAL BEGINS
XV. A DECLARATION OF WAR
XVI. TEAM MIDORIYA OR TEAM BAKUGO?
XVII. CAVALRY BATTLE CLIMAX!
XVIII. CAVALRY BATTLE CONCLUDES!
XIX. THOSE BORN WITH EVERYTHING
XX. HOSHIKO VS IIDA
CHARACTER PROFILE
XXII. WHAT I WANT TO BECOME
XXIII. THE BRIGHTEST STAR

XXI. STARS FROZEN IN TIME

4.5K 239 49
By ASTRAGAZER-

If there's one thing I learned about life; it can change at a moment's notice. And if life itself can change so quickly, humans can change quicker. Once a monster can find the human within him. And the human, he can find the monster within as well. Humans, according to natural law, are the most ironic creatures in the world. They promise, then they change, then they break the promise.

Humans, no matter how crazy the notion was, are like weather. It's not always sunny, it's not always snowing. Change is a necessary process in the building blocks of human emotions. But really, when people change, will they change for good or will that change just as temporary as the mist during the dawn that will be carried by the wind by morning.

It was just merely ten seconds after the start of our match, the temperature around instantly drop to a freezing point. Perhaps it was because of Todoroki's ice that now covers a wide range of the fighting stage. I really hate it. The cold, I mean. All my life I've been living inside a very cold household with a very cold parents. And now, even the boy I've started to like is literally cold and emitting ice that would seriously be fatal to his opponent.

How many times have I admitted it to myself? That I do like him? But somehow I couldn't admit it aloud. And I doubt if I ever will.

I open my portal here and there, going in and out like a flick of a switch. I'd like to think it was that easy– like flicking a switch. But, no. I'm starting to exhaust my stamina. Uraraka has to touch her opponent to activate her quirk. Much like mine. However, the difference was this; I can appear before or behind my opponent delaying their reaction time.

When I finally did appear behind Todoroki, which was where his guard was the weakest, I thought for a second that I caught him. But he span around just as quick and delivered a kick on my stomach that I cam flying a few feet. I thought I was going to fly out of bounds when my back landed on ice. Actually, I would've liked it if I did fly out of bounds. Because honestly, the impact of my back hitting the ice was more painful than his kick.

I coughed a few times, my back is starting to feel numb because of the cold while I can taste the metal in my mouth. I gasp for a much needed air and opened a portal, slipping in. When I landed inside my portal my knees gave up and I fell. I was tempted to stay here. To just lie down until the match was over. Count the stars and just fall asleep.

"Not yet," I told myself.

"Not until he use his left side on me as well."

Because right now, I'm actually starting to feel jealous. When he was fighting Midoriya he used his left side. Now, why wasn't he using it on me? Or why wasn't he using it on himself to prevent the frostbites? What's the difference between his match with Midoriya and his match with me?

"He's not giving it his all!"

Now I'm feeling something I've never felt in a long time. When I started to care about everything and everyone, that feeling is bound to return.

Anger, was it?

Now I'm seriously mad.

I opened a portal and slipped outside, a few feet away from him. And the guy managed to smirk. "And here I thought you've fallen asleep inside your portal."

My glare was enough to tell how serious I am that his smirk was instantly wiped out of his pretty face. He, too, became serious as he proceeded to trap me in his ice.

But each shards of ice became nothing against my portal. The Swallowing Dead Stars. All the ice he emitted were literally swallowed as the portal disappeared.

I saw how his eyes widen as he emit more ice directed towards me. But every time his ice get near me I would touch them and bring them inside my portal.

His attacks were continuous. While his movements started to slow down. He is panting as puff of smoke came out of his mouth. He knew his ice attacks were futile, I would just bring them inside my portal. So he went from long-range to short-range attack.

For the first time I was thankful my brother taught me basic martial arts and self-defense otherwise I wouldn't have been able to counter him. It's also fortunate on my side that his ice attacks became gradually slower.

I managed to slip inside my portal before he could trap me with his ice and appeared behind him where his blind spot was located. Or so I thought was his blind spot. However, I was taken by surprise as he kicked me on the stomach, for the second time. But this time, there were no ice to land on.

I was in midair, I could see the white line before the boundary. Right when I was mere inches from landing on the edge of the fighting stage, I managed to open a portal and slip in just in time. That was close, really close. I didn't have the precious time to stay inside my portal as I made my way outside, right behind Todoroki, this time instead of me grabbing his arm, I was more than startled to see him grabbing my hand.

Now on any other occasion, and possibly a more positive scenario, I would've feel a flush on my cheeks as his hand held mine. However, the gesture was not the least bit romantic. Because he wasted no time to freeze my hand and cover it in ice up to my elbow. That was seriously really cold.

But, he, too made a mistake.

I looked at him, straight in the eye. "Todoroki, you shouldn't have done that."

It was too late when he realized what he did and I did. He forgot one important fact about my quirk. I could take anyone inside my portal provided that I touch them or they touch me. And Todoroki just did the honor and touched my hand.

We both landed inside my portal. The exact same moment I threw a punch on his jaw as he stumbled backwards.

"That's for kicking me, twice."

I didn't know why. Perhaps because my right arm was frozen that I feel a lot colder than usual. I looked at my arm. Wouldn't my blood cease to function? I feel numb.

Maybe I was lost in my train of unusual thoughts that when I looked up I saw Todoroki in front. The side of his mouth had blood from when I punched him.

"Give me your hand," he said, looking at my right arm. Slowly, and a bit reluctantly, I lift my arm.

The moment I did, he touched my palm using his left hand and I instantly felt it. The warmth I've always wanted to feel. He was using his left side to melt the ice on my right arm.

What was I thinking? When I said I wanted him to use that left side to fight against me? What was I thinking? I shouldn't ask him to use it. Not when his eyes look so sad and teary.

"When I was fighting Midoriya," he started. He wasn't looking at me though, he was looking at our hands with our palms touching together. "When I was fighting him I forgot all about my father. All I remember was my mother as she told me I can become whoever I want– that I can become a Hero too."

He really loves his mother. He's lucky, he has mother who told him that he can become whoever he wanted.

"She was always crying. She always hated this side of me. The side that reminded him of that bastard who took everything from her."

That's when I saw it. The traitor tear that fell from his right eye. The tear I wanted to wipe during his match with Midoriya, now I could wipe it. And I did, I lift my hand and wiped the tear.

"Your mother, I wanted to meet her. She seems very kind, I've never had a kind mother so I wanted to me your Mom someday."

That's when he looked at me, his mismatch eyes were glistening with tears and stars reflecting from my portal. It was a beautiful view that I could get lost just by staring.

"Sure," he said, as he finally smiled.

"You were there too," he said suddenly. I frown in confusion. What was he talking about? "While fighting Midoriya, you were in my memories too. I heard your voice reminding me that to reject something, I must first accept it. Maybe that's how I managed to use my left side. And Midoriya's words also pulled me into using that side– shouting that it was my power, after all."

So, even though he didn't use his left side during our match, I was part of the reason why he managed to use it during his match with Midoriya.

I didn't know why but, I felt a lot better now, knowing that fact. For some reason, I feel something warm inside my chest that I couldn't help but did that.

I kissed the burn on his left side. Somehow, I wanted to ease the grudge he felt towards that side of him.

When I moved back, both of us were standing still. Even I was surprised at what I did. And by the seconds my heart is starting to beat faster. Now my mind is starting to replay what happened. My first kiss, his first kiss. Although it was just on the cheek but still. What have I done? What if Todoroki keeps his distance from now on? What if he didn't like what I did? What is he thinking right now?

"I'm really sor–"

Huh?

What is happening?

I think my heart would explode. My face is starting to heat up. What in the world is he doing? How could he do something to me like this without so much of an effort?

It didn't last three seconds but it felt like it lasted a lifetime. The kiss on my forehead, a promised kiss. It still lingers even after he moved back.

"Are you okay, Hoshiko?" He really does sound genuinely concern. His eyes were wide as he took in my appearance. Because right now, without even needing a mirror, I could tell my whole face was as red as a tomato.

I think I'm gonna pass out. No, that's too cliché. That's something only a demure princess would do after she was kiss by her prince.

My thoughts were cut off when a snowflake landed on my nose. I frown. Wait, a snowflake? I looked up and saw that it was, indeed snowing. I thought the stars in here were moving when in fact it was snowing.

I span around as I saw ice shards surrounding us. These were the ice Todoroki used to attack, the ice I took inside my portal. Things, unlike people, when they were left inside this portal they will decompose. Turns out, Todoroki's ice weren't an exception. Instead of just melting, they became tiny snowflakes that fall ever so gently.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" I asked. His ice inside my portal, it's as if time has cease to function.

"Yeah. It's beautiful." He wasn't looking at the snow though. He was looking at me.

Any more of this and my heart would seriously explode.

I gesture my hand. "We should probably go back."

He nodded as he took my hand and we instantly appeared in the middle of the fighting stage. I didn't know if everyone saw it– the our hands were intertwined– but we stepped away from one another much too quickly for them to see.

"The match is still on, Todoroki," I said with a playful smirk. I didn't know how I mustered such facial expression, but I just feel like the dark atmosphere surrounding Todoroki had now diminish into nothingness.

Todoroki sighed as he emits ice shards my way. But the ice was too slow for me to dodge. He wasn't trying to win.

If I were to advance to the finals, my next opponent would either be Tokoyami or Bakugou. Tokoyami is a hard opponent to deal with because I don't know what his dark shadow could do. On the other hand, Bakugou's explosion is a pain, a literal pain.

So I made up my mind. Sorry, Todoroki, but I have to do this. Besides, it's more fun watching in the sidelines than actually fighting. I'm actually starting to feel my muscles ache.

"I give up."

The cheers and yells died down. Even Present Mic was utterly surprise.

I lift my hands in mock surrender. "Hoshiko, can you repeat that?" Midnight asked.

"I said I give up."

I know my body more than anyone. And right now, I'm one hundred percent sure I reached the limits of my power. How many times have I slipped in and out of my portal? How many ice did I take inside? I'm starting to lose my senses.

My vision begin to blur. Midnight was saying something but I couldn't remember what it was. The last thing I saw before I collapse was a pair of arms and a very worried mismatch pair of eyes.

_____

I woke up with a start. My body isn't aching anymore. But my energy was still at level zero. Maybe it was due to Recovery Girl's quirk.

I rubbed my temple as I sat on the bed. My right hand was wrapped in bandages.

"You alright, Yoru?" I gasped as I heard my brother's voice. Was he standing there all this time?

"What happened to the match?"

"The Sports Festival had just ended. They're waiting for you for the awarding ceremony."

Ended? I wonder who was the Champion. My gut's telling me it was a certain King of arrogance. Perhaps, he did keep his pledge. To become number one.

"You should've seen mother and father's reaction when you said you give up. They're enraged that they ended up living the arena much too early."

That doesn't bother me to say the least. I could care less about them walking away like that.

I stood up and walked outside, I followed Kaito as he guided me towards what I assume was where the First Year Sports Festival winners were waiting. As we arrived, the first thing I saw was Bakugou. He was standing out like a sore thumb. His hands were bound with heavy chains, he was literally tied to a cement and his mouth was covered in metal. He's like a wild animal that's needed to be tied down. Just what in the world happened in the last match?

"Ah, Hoshiko-san, stand on thus podium. We're about to start," someone said, probably a Teacher although I don't recognize him.

I stood on the podium beside Todoroki while Tokoyami stood beside Bakugou. We're both in third place. Hesitantly, I stole a glance on Todoroki who has been silent since I arrived here. I wonder what he's thinking. Then my mind wandered off to that moment when we're inside my Portal. Before I could feel my face heat up, the podium we're standing on started moving up.

The first thing I heard were fireworks. Then the cheers of my classmates and the spectators. I looked around and I saw that all the First Years who competed were standing in front while the mass media were in the sidelines taking much too many pictures.

"Now we will award the medals!" Midnight said. "The presentation of the medals will, of course, be by this man-"

I looked up and saw the silhouette of a man that everyone was looking up to. The number one Hero, All Might made his way towards us by jumping from the roof of the arena and landing swiftly in front. Midnight handed him the medals.

All Might made his way towards me, a bronze medal in hand. He was really someone everyone aspired to become. He's so radiant and exceptional.

"Young Hoshiko, congratulations," he started as he put the medal on me.

"Despite the lack of combat-type quirk, you made up  by using your keen intellect and judgment. However, not all the time your opponent will just let you grab them. You will encounter opponents with strong enhancer type quirks so you must train yourself physically and not just rely on your quirk." After his short advice, All Might pulled me in a hug. Despite his bulking muscles, his hug was too soft. I guess this was the very first time someone embraced me. The feeling of being hug by a parent is something I've never felt before. Until now.

"Thank you, All Might." I felt my lips tugged up, I guess it's okay to smile once in a while.

All Might then moved to Tokoyami and gave him advice as well, then to Todoroki. And lastly, he walked in front of Bakugou who was raging in anger. I really wonder what happened during their match. Otherwise he wouldn't act like that. Despite being this year's Champion, he couldn't accept his medal to the point that he didn't let All Might put the medal on him. He was really like a wild animal.

Soon that afternoon, we stayed inside our classroom as Aizawa-sensei gives his words of wisdom which was very unlike him.

"The phrase "worthy opponent" can also mean "friend". It might set my teeth on edge, but it was a day where we had no choice but to feel it. Good work. There will no classes tomorrow and the day after. So rest well."

After that, we were dismissed. I was walking down the hallway when I saw a familiar head of mismatch hair standing on the side, his back pressed on the wall. When I got near him, he looked at me.

He didn't say anything. We just started to walk, side by side, together. I thought he was going to keep quiet all the way back to my house. But I was wrong.

"Thank you," he said. Slowly, I felt his hand brushed against my knuckles. Then before I knew it, our fingers were locked together. There was some sort of warmth where our hands intertwined. It was warm and he was using his right hand this time.

Thank you, huh?

I looked up the sky. The orange and violet hue scattered like a painting on a canvas. It was so clear and so beautiful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 3.7K 17
Katsuki Bakugou hates having so much homework. Isn't it enough to spend his entire day learning without having to do so much work after school? How i...
334 16 11
*WARNING- deals with subjects such as depression, self harm, anixiety, suicide, abuse, and bullying.* What if Midoriya and Todoroki had met in middle...
601K 17.7K 38
(Y/N) is a young girl who just wants to be a hero just like everyone else. Her life wasn't easy though. She has always kept to herself and didn't lik...
420K 11.9K 36
"A l w a y s a n d f o r e v e r" โปหขแต–แต’โฑหกแต‰สณหข โปแต—สฐแต‰ หขแต—แต’สณสธ'หข แถœสฐแตƒโฟแตแต‰แตˆ แต˜แต– แตƒ แต‡โฑแต— โปแต›โฑแต’หกแต‰โฟแถœแต‰ แตƒโฟแตˆ แตแต’สณแต‰ โปหขสทแต‰แตƒสณโฑโฟแต โปแตแต‰โฟแต—โฑแต’โฟหข แต’แถ  หขแต˜โฑแถœโฑแตˆแต‰