Heartbeats in Moonlight

By SusanGarod

They'd survived two years of a cold war: David McKenzie and Gabriella Jones rarely spoke to each other. He th... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Part 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100 (Final)

Chapter 42

74 6 0
By SusanGarod

A week later, an uneasy Peter took a poised Ella to that award event. He was wearing the appropriate clothes for the event, like Ella, but she wore her elegant dress with panache, unlike him. He was delighted that she was with him, but he just hoped he wouldn't embarrass her.

It was obvious to Ella that Peter was really, really nervous. She whispered, "Just enjoy it, Peter." She took his hand, squeezed his hand and it earned her a nervous smile. "They are people like us." He snorted at that statement. Ella's smile grew. "Honestly, they are normal people. They are people like us!" She looked around, she recognised some of the people around them, although she didn't know them that well.

"Like you, maybe." Peter mumbled beneath his breath. He looked around and saw the people around, and that just confirmed his opinion. They knew how to dress for this type of event. He barely knew how to put on a tux! He looked across at Ella, and again, his brain scrambled. She was stunning, and he couldn't believe he was here, with her. "Thank you for doing this." He said shyly.

She said with a smile, "It is my pleasure. And you look amazing in that tux."

He beamed at that compliment, albeit nervously. He'd seen Ella from afar for two years. Had heard many of the rumours about her behaviour, her manners, the way she cuts guys down to size, usually bluntly. But he'd never spoken with her until last week, when she turned up at the milking shed. He was about to start hosing the shed, when Ben, Amelia and Ella appeared at the gate, while the cows made their way out at the back of shed. He thought Ben was just showing the girls his shed, probably a tour around his farm. Peter was even more surprised when Ben introduced Ella and told him that Ella was here to speak to him. Him? Can't be him, he thought. He was absolutely amazed; a dream he decided as Ella and Ben continued to talk about the awards event as if it was normal. The rest of that meeting, in the milk shed with someone wearing shoes with a three-inch-heels, while the cows left the shed, was surreal. And Peter nearly fell over a bucket when Ben told him that Ella would like to go to the award-ceremony, with him. His eyes were on stalks when she confirmed she was available for the awards reception.

Five minutes later, he realised he had agreed to take Ella to the event: a woman he barely knew and he needed a tux by next week!

"This isn't even my tux." Peter owned up. He tugged at his suit cuffs and rolled his shoulders. He was trembling under that tux.

Ella could feel his anxiety ratcheted up, so she kept holding his hand, "Maybe, but you look great." Ella smiled gently. Bolstering his confidence, she looked around and turned around to face him and added, "Probably the only guy here who can look good in a tux without working out for years or going on a fast-diet." That made Peter's smile grow.

She was nice, despite her reputation, Peter thought: She was really kind and witty. A question escaped, "Why did you agree? I mean, why do this?" He asked as they waited in the line to hand over their coats to the cloakroom attendant.

"I didn't fancy staying in just to wash my hair and nothing on the television for tonight." She grinned to soften her words, "In any case, when I met you at the shed, I thought you looked like a nice guy," She added, "and you didn't gushed."

"That's because I was stumped!" Peter laughed, and his laugh drew attention to them. Silently Peter acknowledged Ella was trying to allay his nervousness.

"Whatever! Actually, Ben said you were a great guy! And you are!" Ella smiled. Peter was droll and decent, a good combination, she thought. If he just relaxed a bit he'd have women fawning all over him. It was all about self-confidence, Ella supposed. It made David, Jack and Ben the alphas in this town. She nearly groaned. Not again. She had promised herself, earlier, that she would stop thinking about David. She forced herself to remember that she was on a date with great man. "In any case I haven't been to an award-dinner-thing in town!"

"Me neither!" His apprehension vanished, but he was still tugging at his jacket's cuffs.

"Not your kind of thing, is it?" In automatic affection she leaned on him and rubbed her cheek on his jacket's arm.

"No." He replied, smiled at the usher as they reached the head of the queue. Peter handed over their coats and with that done, he took a breath and forced himself not to jam his hands into his trousers' pockets. "I wear jeans and a t-shirt when I am not working, and if I am working, you will find me in boiler-suit, like last week."

"Well, I think you are a spectacular specimen, in a tux or a boiler-suit!" She beamed. He shook his head.

"I guess I am a bit traditional, I thought most guys would flatter their date."

"Traditional or modern's etiquette doesn't say a woman shouldn't flatter their date." She grinned. "Shall we?" She asked as they both stood outside the main doorway to the ballroom that had tables and chairs around the perimeter and a large dance floor.

Peter bit his lower lip, took another breath, and then gallantly he gave her his arm. She threaded her arm through his and smiled at him. Like a happy couple, they walked into the room.

They knew which table they were heading for as they'd been told the number when they had arrived and handed in their invitation.

Across the floor, David saw their arrival and he blinked. Was this a mirage, he wondered? Ella was here? He blinked again. Then he wondered, who the guy was! David thought he recognised him. David rifled through his memories but he couldn't place him. Instead David tracked Peter and Ella's progress.

David was attending this Business celebration dinner and dance with Elise, a date, Elise had arranged months ago. Her father was involved in setting up this event.

In any case, the last person he had expected to see at this event was Ella. David thought he knew the guy but wasn't sure exactly. He looked familiar. He was taller than David, and broader. David would have said, slightly older. When did Ella meet this guy? Where? Are they good friends? Really good friends? More than that? David nearly growled. She didn't say anything about this particular man to him, when she ate at his place.

Elise surreptitiously watched David, while he openly watched Ella as she and her date took their seats.

"Everything ok?" Elise asked with concern while David continued to track Ella.

"What?" He sounded preoccupied. His eyes remained on Ella and her partner.

Elise considered standing in front of him. "I asked if you were ok?"

"Yeah." He replied. He was still preoccupied she grimaced. He wiped a palm over his lips and jaw as he banked his irritation. "Of course." He was furious, because he was unhappy and he couldn't understand why he was unhappy!

Elise wasn't sure what to say next. She was just pleased that Ella was across the hall, not at their table or at any tables close their table. She was not pleased with David's infatuation with Ella. Elise couldn't understand why he continued to stare at Ella, it wasn't as if Ella was wearing anything that was special. In Elise's opinion, Ella hadn't made any effort to draw attention. Ella wore a standard cocktail black dress, nothing special about that. Her jewellery was non-descript. And Elise, looking for a positive comment thought that Ella's hair had a gleam!

David missed Elise's frown. Instead he noticed that Ella and her partner were talking quietly, for ages, like good friends. That guy had obviously said something funny because Ella tipped her head to the side as she beamed at him. She never smiled at him like that, David grumbled beneath his breath.

Elise said, "Er, Dave, we need to take our seats." David didn't move. She was tempted to shake him. "David?"

"What?"

"We need to take our seats." She said more firmly.

Across the hall, Ella's table seated eight, and most of their party had already taken up their seats. Peter and Ella introduced themselves to those already there, some of whom they knew and others they didn't. She had learnt at an early age how to mingle. Her father frequently attended events and when he took his daughters, they usually found themselves abandoned as he was dragged off to meet his duties. The girls became adept at walking into a room and see which person would be a safe bet if they needed to join a crowd. They had also learned how to converse with people from different backgrounds. Ella knew how to navigate awkward small talk. She knew it was important to keep to "safe topics". So she avoided personal questions, initially. Just started with the most basic things: like how they are enjoying the day. So, tonight, Ella took the helm of the conversation involving Peter. And by the time the prizes were awarded, Peter was relaxed in her company.

The evening started with the meal, and between that and the dance, eight business awards were handed out. Well at least now, David knew who the guy was. And what the hell was Ella doing with a milk-sharer?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 54.6K 55
Highest ranking Millionaires No 6 (03-3-19) Deal No 3 (23-3-19) Feisty No 13 (05-6-19) ---------------------------------------------------------- ...
1M 46.4K 69
"I only date black guys." "So because of the pigment of my skin you won't give me a chance." "Basically. No hard feelings though. Besides I like some...
3K 141 56
Evangeline had spent many a fanciful moment creating fantasies that involved Seth. Seth and his grandmother was her new neighbours. In her 'Cinderel...
2.5K 15 108
Stella Parker, an ambitious businesswoman at the peak of her career at the age of 25 was determined to make a name for herself while refusing to acce...