Revolution (The Risen Series...

By Scottish_writer

The Risen Series Book 2 My mate and King of our kind is back on his throne, but shadows still lurk with hands... More

Chapter 1 ~ Where's Waldo
Chapter 3 ~ Death Sentence
Chapter 4 ~ Dirty Work
Chapter 5 ~ Silly Fears
Chapter 6 ~ Unleashed
Chapter 7 ~ A Summer Holiday
Chapter 8 ~ Swordplay
Chapter 9 ~ Heads Will Roll
Chapter 10 ~ The Mile High Club
Chapter 11 ~ When in Rome
Chapter 12 ~ Old Friends
Chapter 13 ~ When It Rains
Chapter 14 ~Social Media Famous
Chapter 15 ~ Fun Torture Time
Chapter 16 ~ I Fought The Law
Chapter 17 ~ On The Wagon
Chapter 18 ~ By Candlelight
Chapter 19 ~ Surprises
Chapter 20 ~ A bit of B&E
Chapter 21 ~ Sabotage
Chapter 22 ~ Bad Luck
Chapter 23 ~ Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Chapter 24 ~ A Dream of a Dream
Chapter 25 ~ Wake Me When It's Over
Chapter 26 ~ Crazy Ex Girlfriend
Chapter 27 ~ The Blame Game

Chapter 2 ~ Booze Before Shoes

1.1K 100 14
By Scottish_writer

Chapter 2: Booze Before Shoes
~

The house was buzzing as if alive. The hum of many voices, heartbeats and footsteps, so much noise that if I focussed on it for too long my head began to pound. I'd kept to my rooms once the last of our guests began to trickle in from the dark, unable to face them quite yet. The dress Zena had picked out for me lay on the bed and I'd wear it like armour. Few of the new arrivals would know of my true origins, at least that's what I hoped. I could pretend easily to be a true Queen, a force to be reckoned with by the side of the King. I could pretend I wasn't terrified.

Sitting in front of the mirror, staring at my hands accusingly, I took a deep breath. I'd felt the very moment Zena and Una's magic went up around the house. The now familiar burn of my own power had lit my hands brighter than ever before and I'd felt the static lick of the witches magic against my skin.

Dropping my hands to the dressing table, my gaze flicked to my reflection. Worry lines were etched deep into my brow and I forced myself to relax.

A soft meowing from by my feet had me smiling and I chuckled as the black kitten wound its way around my legs. Reaching down, I placed the little bundle of scruffy fur on my lap. The rumble of its purr distracted me from my worries. 

"Hello, Shadow," I cooed lovingly, my smile growing as the kitten pressed his head into my hand. "Are you escaping all the kerfuffle as well?"

Shadow was the newest addition to our odd family. The cat I'd always wanted had indeed almost replaced Atanas. He'd scowled when I'd come home with him, demanding me to through it back onto the streets. 'Stray vermin' he'd called the poor starved kitten. But he'd allowed me to take the  stray in anyway, although they both detested one another.

The stinging of tiny claws had me gasping and I huffed as Shadow happily kneaded my leg, drawing a tiny speck of blood. Picking him up, I tutted softly. "None of that now."

"That thing is a menace, Shylah."

I huffed again, narrowing my gaze at Atanas as he shut the bedroom door. His nose scrunched, catching the scent of my blood in the air.

"He isn't a menace," I argued, grinning as Shadow squirmed in my grip, hissing and lashing out in Atanas' direction.

My mate looked unimpressed at the small kitten's show of aggression and I placed him in the ground. Giving Atanas one last hiss, he scampered to hide under the bed.

Atanas checked on my already healed leg then cast a dark gaze towards where Shadow was hiding. "Cretin."

"You antagonise each other," I pointed out, pulling him down for a kiss.

Whatever he'd been going to say was cut off as our lips met. The cat was forgotten and he tugged me to my feet, holding me against him. A sharp inhale as he nipped my lip and his mood lightened.

"I was worried I'd have to hunt you down and drag you in here to get ready," he said, tucking a stray strand of silver hair behind my ear.

I shrugged, focussing once more in the cacophony of sounds coming from all around. "I knew nobody would come in here so I've been hiding and putting off getting ready till the last minute."

"I can see that." He chuckled, eyeing the dress on the bed and the makeup laid out but untouched on the dressing table.

I looked down, ashamed by my own nerves. Would Atanas eventually see that I could never be as confident in my position as he? Maybe he'd realise soon and decide he needed a new mate, one more equipped to be a leader.

Rough fingers gripped my chin, forcing my head up. Stern blue eyes considered me, seeing far more than I wished. I swallowed, but I couldn't look away.

"Is it me or yourself that you doubt?" he asked lowly.

"You know I don't doubt you. The bond, I can feel how you feel about me," I replied, pulling away from him but his arm was like a vice around my waist.

I couldn't escape this conversation. He wouldn't let me. Atanas forced me to face my insecurities, as much as I hated to.

"I feel nervous about this too, you know," he admitted, his grip gentling.

I snorted in disbelief. "Bullshit, you thrive on this sort of thing. You love being the centre of attention, and watching these so called 'Lords' grovel for you, whether they're friend or foe."

His grin was contagious and I found myself unable to help but grin back.

"That might be true," he agreed slowly, chuckling softly before his expression sobered up. "But I still have my fears about tonight. There could be a fight, deaths, alliances might crumble and we might find ourselves alone. I don't expect to be welcomed with open arms."

"You're confident that won't happen though aren't you?" I pressed, studying the confidence in his expression.

"I'm confident that if we do have a fight tonight, we will win. Which is why I had something made for you," he explained, a dagger appearing in his hand as if from thin air.

Raising an eyebrow, I tipped my head. I recognised the silver blade with its jewel studded sheath as the one I'd stolen from Padraig. As I opened my mouth, he placed a finger against my lips.

"This isn't the surprise. Padraig has allowed you to keep it though, he said you might as well get some use out of it but he did ask me to warn you about what he'd do if you dared lose it," he cautioned, passing the dagger to me.

The blade felt right in my hands and I wondered what drew me to it. Padraig had an array of weapons in his home, but this had been the one I'd chosen. If I cared about such things, it might have been the many crystals and diamonds embedded in it, but I never was very materialistic. I knew it must have been worth a fortune, and I'd heed my mate's warning about losing it.

"So what is the surprise then, and what does it have to do with the dagger?" I asked curiously, watching the way my mate smirked.

"Get dressed and then I will show you," he promised, turning me back to the dressing table. 

Grumbling and placing the dagger to one side, I reluctantly put a little makeup up. Atanas taking his shirt of in the mirror had me pausing to watch the way muscles bunched and rippled as he moved. A heat pooled low in my belly and my thighs pressed together instinctively. Any other time, I'd have said fuck those waiting on us and pushed him towards the bed. As it was, those waiting for us were far too important and volatile to irritate.

While my mate fixed himself into his suit, shimmied into my dress. I made sure to tie the laces of the bodice a lot looser than Zena had. I wanted to be able to breathe if a fight did occur, even if I had to squeeze my poor feet into towering black heels.

Smoothing down the heavy skirts, I cast an eye over my reflection. I wished I could say that dressed in the finest silks I felt a little more like a Queen but all I saw in the mirror was a frightened girl in a dress that shouldn't be hers. Frowning, I ran a finger over the array of pale scars that crisscrossed over my arms. A crown, I decided, would have definitely made me feel better. Next time.

A tingle of awareness buzzed over my skin and I turned to catch Atanas running his eyes over my form. Giving him my best curtsy, I grinned. "How do I look?"

"Ravishing," he declared.

I laughed but didn't try and argue. String hands gripping my waist, guiding me to sit on the bed. Excitement rushed through me at the sight of my mate's wicked grin as he crouched and slowly pushed up the heavy, purple skirts. I swallowed, that throbbing heat returning. My fingers curled into the sheets of the bed, my breathing hitching.

"As much as I'd love to have you beneath me, we don't have time," Atanas murmured, pausing to press a gentle, teasing kiss high up my inner thigh.

I groaned in frustration, feeling the sting as my fangs lowered to press against my bottom lip. "Bastard."

Atanas laughed. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get you do worked up."

He and I knew very well that that had indeed been his intention. Desire scented my skin. Hopefully it would disappear before I entered a room full of vampires that'd be able to pick up the scent easily.

"What is your intention then, my King?" I asked sweetly, watching him with hungry eyes.

I blinked at the odd looking garter he pulled from behind him and held my breath as he carefully slid it up my leg until it rested high up. Before I could ask, I found out why it looked so odd. It wasn't a garter, but a holster I realised as he slid the dagger into the grip. I smirked.

"I thought you'd like it." Atanas grinned, tugging my skirts back into place. "I know you feel better with a weapon on hand but I couldn't have you walking around with one for all to see."

"It's perfect," I said honestly, leaning down to capture his lips in mine.

He kissed me back hungrily, pushing me back until his body covered mine. My fingers tangled in his hair, trying to stop him from moving away and when he hips pressed against mine, I thought he might have changed his mind.

"Shylah," he groaned. "We really have to go."

Sighing heavily, I released him. "Fine. But when we're stuck talking to self absorbed vampires, remember what we could have been doing."

"Yes, love." He laughed, pulling me to my feet.

Begrudgingly, I followed him downstairs. The house was eerily quiet, not a soul to be seen. I swallowed. Nobody was around because everyone was behind the doors that seems to glare intimidatingly at me. 

"Take a deep breath, Libertas Mea," he whispered by my ear.

I nodded stiffly, trying to do as he advised but all thoughts vanished when the massive double doors swung open. A sea of eyes watched us and the only thing that kept me moving was the fact that Atanas' arm was linked with mine.

Heads bowed low in respect and the silence was deafening. We paused at the front of the crowd and I tried to focus on a painting hanging at the back of the room. If I focussed too long on exactly how many people were here, I might flee. That wouldn't make a very good first impression.

Atanas gently squeezed my arm and gave me an encouraging smile before straightening up.

"Thank you all for coming," he boomed, his voice resonating around the massive hall. "You're all very welcome here. I hope we manage to reform old alliances, forge new friendships and enjoy ourselves. Tonight is a night of celebration, so let's leave talk of politics for tomorrow."

A few chuckled and raised their glasses and in a moment of bravery I let my gaze move over the crowd. I tried to see past the smiling faces to pick out those with hidden intentions but before I could, Atanas was tugging me into the crowd.

I could worry about that tomorrow. There would be a meeting with all leaders and Principes, tonight was an expected formality.

It was blinding to my senses being in the middle of so many people and my back tingled with awareness. My eyes flicked to every exit, filing away which ones were closest for me to get to. While Atanas talked amongst those that flurried to see him, I couldn't push away the gnawing feeling in my core. I did my best to smile and join in conversation, humming and nodding along to whatever was being said.

I barely saw the woman who approached covered in various battle scars. Not until Atanas said my name. I snapped back to attention and nearly gasped. The brown haired woman in front me had more scars than even I could boast of having. One particularly nasty red one almost split her face in half.

"I'm sorry?" I stuttered, unable to look away.

The woman smiled and bowed slightly, speaking in a heavy accent I couldn't place. "I was telling Atanas it was about time he took a mate. I'm Nadia, Princeps of Russia. Airell has been in talks with my council for many years, but my loyalty always lay with Atanas. He saved my life."

From the crooked smile and haunted look in her crystal eyes, I knew whatever he'd saved her from had almost broken her. I could relate to that. She was kindred. Warrior. I decided right then that I liked her.

"We're glad to have you by our side then," I said, grinning.

She laughed, a husky sound that was almost eerie. "Well, you definitely wouldn't want me as an enemy. Atanas knows this well."

I gave my mate a look to find him almost blushing. Intrigue filled me, and I found myself relaxing a little and forgetting about how tense I was before.

"We got off on the wrong foot after I rescued her," he admitted sheepishly but elaborated no more.

I had the feeling I'd hear about later, and I hoped I'd hear it from Nadia herself. As if she could read my mind, she winked.

"I'll let you speak with your other guests. It was an honour to meet you Shylah," she said, bowing low.

I nodded and bowed my head in return. "It was an honour to meet you too."

Nadia walked away swiftly, her head held high until she reached who I assumed were her own people. I smiled, watching her share a kiss with a pixie sized blonde woman.

Atanas turned me around, chuckling. "She liked you."

"I'm glad. I liked her too," I replied with a grin.

This was the first moment alone that we'd had since we'd arrived in the hall. I was glad we were no longer the centre of attention. Though many eyes followed us around the room, most were happy to mingle amongst themselves.

"Not much longer," Atanas whispered by my ear.

I nodded, taking another deep breath. Already I was exhausted, anxiety having drained most of my energy away. Longingly, I eyed the array of drinks, craving the oblivion a drunken buzz would give me. I wasn't free yet however, Atanas insisted I stay by his side a little longer to meet the rest of the Principes. My fingers were like claws gripping his arm but he didn't seem to notice.

I could sense a presence behind us and a cough for our attention had us turning.

"Well well, what's this delectable thing you have by your side, Atanas?"

My body froze, eyes widening as I took in the man's scent. A scent I knew from the dark. This man had used me. One of the vampires that were more than happy to pay Airell for a little time with his special pet.

The smile my mate gave this man was guarded. He shifted a little, keeping me slightly behind him. Atanas wasn't fooled.

"Seth," he greeted him. "This is Shylah."

Now I had a name to go with the face. Seth's eyes met mine again and his grin widened. "A pleasure to meet you."

I had to swallow the lump in my throat and fight off the icy fingers stroking my skin. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I tell Atanas about what I knew this man to be? Should I warn him and the others? I had the feeling Atanas had suspicions that something was between us so lifting my chin, I took a deep breath.

"The pleasure is all mine," I replied tightly. "Welcome to Edinburgh."

Whatever reaction Seth and been expecting, it wasn't this. He'd wanted to see my fear. The grin faltered, a spark of something almost like respect falshing across his face. This was where the games of politics began.

"I'm glad you have your crown again, Atanas. Airell doesn't know how to rule our people. You have my word that we will help in your search for him, and should a war break out, my warriors are yours," Seth pledged, placing a hand over his heart.

I wasn't sure his words were to believed. In my eyes, the only reason he'd want Airell gone would be so he could take his place.

"Hopefully it won't come to war but Airell must be dealt with, and all those that conspired with him," Atanas replied darkly.

I'd been right. Atanas knew very well the nature of the man before us. He trusted him as little as I did.

If Seth was scared, he didn't show it. He simply smiled as if he was the most loyal of subjects. "Of course, my King. Any way I can help, please let me know."

Atanas nodded once and that was all Seth got in ways of dismissal. I watched my ex torturer walk away where he took the arm of a dark haired vampiress. Suddenly I no longer felt safe here. How many more of our guests were like him?

"You know him?" Atanas asked, leading me slowly through the crowd.

I nodded, feeling the ghost of his touch crawling over my skin. "Yes."

"He hurt you?"

"I can't prove it," I murmured quietly, aware of the many vampires around us.

Atanas hummed and his eyes flicked towards where Seth was laughing amongst a group of strangers. There was something about him that drew others in, I had to admit that. He'd managed to charm even me before he'd shown his true colours.

"He'll be dealt with, one way or another," he promised, a growl to his tone.

I nodded. I knew he'd keep his word, but I wanted to be the one to end Seth's life if it came to that. All those against us, all those that had harmed us, wouldn't live for long. Seth's words had me worried though. Would all this end in war? Was he hinting that Airell was indeed gathering his own allies? We couldn't afford it to. A war on the scale I imagined wouldn't be easy to hide from the human world. We'd be outed. Then we'd have another war to deal with and even though we were faster and stronger, humans had weapons capable of killing even our so called immortal selves.

"Why don't you go talk to Anna?" Atanas suggested distrcatedly, his eyes still on Seth.

I opened my mouth to agree but he was already walking away, heading in Kincaid's direction. Even with his odd dismissal of me, I was grateful for the break. Perhaps through the bond he could tell I'd now had enough. Scanning the crowd, I spotted Anna in the only quiet corner of the hall and quickly made my way towards her. I smiled and greeted those who bowed and curtseyed but they seemed to sense that I needed space.

Anna grinned when she spotted me, doing a dramatic curtsey. I shook my head, laughing.

"Get up, Anna," I ordered, very aware of the looks we were getting.

"Yes, my Queen," she said reverently. "How are you finding the ball?"

She knew very well I hated it and giggled as she passed me a drink. I almost groaned in relief. Anna had poured a questionable amount of vodka into the lemonade but to me, it was perfect.

"It's been. . . different," I answered, almost with a question.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to make of it all. It felt too staged with smiling faces and dancing despite knowing tomorrow the atmosphere would change. Plus, All the walking around had me cursing the tall heels I was wearing that crushed my toes. I hoped Atanas wasn't expecting a dance.

Shifting my weight, I took another sip of vodka.

"I hate these goddamn heels. I'm scared to drink and risk losing my balance," I grumbled.

Anna grinned and held up her glass of champagne before pointing to the comfy looking flats she had on. "Booze before shoes."

An eyebrow quirked in amusement. She had the right idea there. Muttering to myself, I decided it was worth Zena's wrath and took the damn things off.

"In all honesty, how do you think tonight's going?" Anna asked, looking around the room.

I was surprised Padraig had left her alone and then realised that I hadn't seen him at all tonight.

"I feared the worst, but there's been no fights. At least no physical fights. Atanas may have said to leave the politics till tomorrow, but it's started. Everyone's getting a feel for everyone else. Though I think we can rely on more here than even Atanas thought," I told her honestly.

"Padraig think so too and so do I. There's a few here who's auras rub me the wrong way but very few feel malicious," she agreed. "Except that one. He isn't even trying to hide his intentions."

I followed where she pointed and wasn't too surprised to see she meant Seth. My eyes narrowed. I'd wait for him to make his move, and then his life would be mine.

"Atanas knew him. He doesn't trust him either," I muttered, disgust filling me. "I don't know why he showed his face. I'm sure his loyalties lie elsewhere and he doesn't care who knows it."

"He won't dare try anything tonight at least," Anna comforted, taking my hand. "Why don't we go enjoy ourselves a bit?

"What did you have in mind? I asked, my smile faltering when I saw her wicked grin.

"Dancing!" She exclaimed before dragging me into the centre of the hall where couples were making the most of the music.

I wanted to run away, to hide my face in embarrassment as my friend started to swing my arms about. Instead I let her have her fun, trying not to care about the disapproving looks we were getting.

Slow music started up suddenly and Anna pouted. I jumped when someone tapped my shoulder but my gasp turned into a delighted laugh when my mate took me into his arms.

"My Queen," he murmured before kissing me heatedly for all to see.

I kissed him back, melting into him. "One dance, My King. Then you have to take me upstairs."

He gave me a wicked grin and instead of finishing our dance, he picked me up and carried me through the crowd. I buried my face against his shoulder, humiliated that all would know our plans. I had the feeling that Zena would tell us off for leaving early tomorrow night, but right then I didn't care.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 3.5K 27
Moon, Is going for a ride on her horse into a dangerous forest. It becomes dark and she is being chased. Soon finding out she is a wolf and then soo...
4.9K 97 84
Book 2 of the Entered series. The Vampire King The war between the two brothers had gone on for about a decade now. Dartanian, King of the Vampires h...
5.5M 161K 49
*word of advice, if poorly written books annoy you don't read. If you do you better not complain in my comments lol* Never steal from kings. Especia...
168 1 11
Blood Keepers Book Two I didn't think this would be how living as a Keeper would be. It was challenging yet at the same time I had a life of my own...