Cold Like Death: Shoto Todoro...

By TeruTategami

One second she was smiling at the cold white bliss, the next she were enveloped in ice and a vision that fade... More

Chapter 2: Late Night Sleepover
Chapter 3: Pride
Chapter 4: Morning
Chapter 5: The Cool Down
Chapter 6: Dad
Chapter 7: The Family
Chapter 8: The File
Chapter 9: The Gauntlet
Chapter 10: The Trials
Chapter 11: Doppelgangers Galore
Chapter 12: Jealousy
Chapter 13: Home Is Where The Heart Is
Chapter 14: Cherry Blossoms
Chapter 15: Cats & Blind Dates
Chapter 16: Taken For Granted
Chapter 17: The Odds
Chapter 18: Fire & Ice
Chapter 19: The Investigation
Chapter 20: Awakening
Chapter 21: Hide
Chapter 22: Home
Chapter 23: Blue
Chapter 24: The Girl In Need Of A Hero
Chapter 25: Rescue
Chapter 26: Parting Ways
Chapter 27: We're All Connected
Chapter 28: The Final Destination
Chapter 29: The Beginning of the End

Chapter 1: Frozen In Time

10K 343 302
By TeruTategami

The first quarter of this chapter is an Enji x Reader so PLEASE be patient and read through it. If you read the description for the book, you'll understand why I say this.

The Reader and Enji are 16 years old in the beginning, hence why I said to be patient and power through.

I'm also gonna straight out explain what your quirk is. In exchange for the Reader's body heat, she can eject/control ice out of her own body. Her hair gradually turns white the more she uses the quirk. (If your OC already has white hair then ignore this) If she uses her quirk too much, she risks dying due to hypothermia(low body heat). Just like how Shoto can't overuse one particular side of his quirk or else he risks overheating or freezing his body.

The beeping of a phone filled the air within one girl's bedroom. On a large plush bed lied a girl with her mind stuck within a screen of white and blue speech boxes. One long conversation of two hearts being open with one another. There was nothing keeping them apart besides the screen. Snuggling beneath the bedcovers of her own bed and talking to those dear were two of her most favorite things.

The Fire In My Heart: U better b warm cause we r sk8ing

You: How? It barely snowed last night.

The Fire In My Heart: Thats y i said 2 b warm

You: I hate you sometimes

The Fire In My Heart: We established this how long ago?

You: Shut up and come get me

Talk about a turn of events. Normally Saturday is your lazy day, now it's one of the opposite. While your quirk deals with ice, the cold is one of few things you've  came to dislike the most in this shortly lived world besides villains, bad grades, and getting dressed each and every day.

Upon first step within the pristine white kitchen, any cook's dream, the scent of chemical cleaners was like a punch to the face with citrus freshness. Your mother peered up from the sink with an oh so exhausted smile. "I'm going out here soon," your sweet voice announced as your leather bound boots clicked upon the freshly scrubbed floors.

"Looking cute Sweetheart," you mom compliments your appearance as most mothers would. As always, the woman was working herself to the bone in the kitchen. There was rarely a day she wasn't wearing that faded blue apron that clung her chest loosely. That woman prides herself on serving the family each and every day after work. Her efforts were for days off where the family could spend quality time together instead of upkeeping the house. You loved her, everyone loved her, and that's all she could ask for. Mom was always one step ahead of you as she began heating up a kettle of hot water on the stove.

"You're too sweet mom," you awed.

"That Enji sure is lucky to have a beautiful girlfriend such as you."

You began to nod, "we're ice skating but of course I got to supply the ice as usual." That's why Enji told you to stay warm in that text earlier. Extensive use of your ice quirk strips your body of ever ounce of heat it could give. Hypothermia, death by low bodily temperature, is sadly an everyday obstacle. It's also Enji who's always telling you what to do the second his mind's made up. Enji's normally pretty controlling in this relationship. Most of the time you don't put up with him, but at least today it sounds like he's got a date planned for a change and your quirk's drawbacks in mind.

There's nothing wrong with that man caring for someone besides himself. It's always better than whenever someone from class having to run from the ends of the earth in order to hunt you down all to fan the flames whenever Enji would lose his temper.

Your mother had fetched a steel thermos out from the cupboard. Instead of warm tea, she filled the steel canister with her rich homemade hot chocolate. The savory scent of cocoa filled the air and hung low for a nose to reach. "Stay warm my little dove," your mom handed you the thermos with an exhausted smile. Her smile never would cease to brighten your day.

"Love you too mom," you waved goodbye. Your strong intuition of predicting events said that Enji was just seconds away from ringing the doorbell. You made sure to open the door just before he could. The door would open so quickly, the hinges cried out a squeak of pain. Enji's stubbly facial hair ignited with a 'poof' and large turquoise eyes to match his astonishment. These were one of few times you could successfully startle him, and it's the best thing in the universe. "So," you sang casually. "What made you decide on ice skating?"

"Why not?" The boy used a hand to extinguish his patchy facial hair. Enji claimed the fire would tickle his face too much nearly every time it'd happen.

"You want me to show off again don't you?" Cause that's all Enji's been wanting to do lately.

"You're badass for a girl what can I say?" Now you'll take that as a complement.

"You're doing me a favor then," out of the house you went with a door pulled to a close. Those hinges were crying for oil again, "Next time your facial hair catches one fire just leave it be. Knowing how often it catches you're better off doing nothing. Plus, I like it," for the main reason the little fire keeps your body extra warm. You also can't go wrong with fire for facial hair for a fiery personality. Those two go together better than a cherry on top or a shake!

Enji's fingers traced the needles on his jawline. The hairs were sharp upon contact and came in un percievable patterns. "When my hair starts coming in evenly I'll do that," Enji agreed to your end of the favor in condition. You were fine with the condition never-the-less.

The meeting place Enji had set up with his followers was the relatively large lake in the middle of the city. Some call it a pond, but size is just a relative term when it came to water. The lake was one of few places that remained untouched by society besides the cold metal benches that were constructed just feet before the lake. Much to your dismay, little kids were tossing rocks atop the waters surface all to break apart the thin layers of ice that would float atop. That's gonna make freezing the lake that much more harder.

Enji was a man who was almost marching. He's proud to display his girlfriend like a prize while his other friends had dragged along their so-called girlfriends as well. The quirks those girls held were highly distinguishable yet they weren't quirks to be proud of either. One girl, that's if you'd even call her one, had olive skin, yellow eyes and long multi jointed arms like a praying mantis. Everyone called her Mantis and she was more insect like than she was human and came from the same hero class as Enji and yourself. Mantis prides herself saying she doesn't need a man to make her happy, yet that was also contradictory as she has one now. This date Enji planned sounds like a... Quadruple date as this would count as her first.

The second girl, she wasn't in your class let alone in any hero courses. She stands out within the school because of her strangely masculine physique. That's because she can control the hormones within her body. Everyone knows better than to mess with her though because she's been known to change the gender of anyone who crosses her path. In fact, people sympathize with the She-male's boyfriend since he was forced into the relationship.

The third girl was as common as they come. She's average looking, had long blonde hair that reached her behind and crystal blue eyes. Her quirk was hair growth. Ironically, her given name was also Rapunzel.

While each girl had rather terrifying and useful quirks, what you had that these girls didn't was a boyfriend that actually cared. Enji may not show it half the time, but you knew he meant well.

You could feel the intensity of the girls hateful stare at you. They envied how you were the girlfriend of the top student in class and you didn't even need to try to get him. To avoid the heated glares, your nipped fingertips unlatched the lip to your thermos and hid yourself behind a steamy cup of chocolate. "Give introductions and whatever! I'm gonna freeze the water," you threw the thermos atop the snow blanketed ground. Warmth was flowing through your veins!

"Just the surface... Just the surface," your breath froze upon contact with the air. Your bare hands hovered over the water's rippling surface. The shivering fingers weren't even touching and the cold was attacking them with that frigid wind chill. No sense in putting off the inevitable. Pure motivation had your hand plunging into the ice water. From where you stood, ice froze over the entire surface of the lake from one end to the other. Your entire body shook violently without a say as no warmth remained. Your hair was as white as the snow beneath your boots with no original color to show.

Mantis, curious as she was, used her long sword like arms to poke the iced over pond. It was as firm as it was frozen as she was unable to scratch the surface. "Talk about fire and ice!" She exclaimed.

"No wonder these guys are the power couple of the hero course," Rapunzel's boyfriend awed taking a step out upon the ice with her hand within his own.

Enji had carried you away from the ice during the much appreciated praise. His body warmth was heavenly against your skin. "Good job," your boyfriend handed you the piping hot thermos that guaranteed your survival many times before now.

"You ab-b-b-bout done sh-showing off?" You shivered while uncapping the thermos. The steam was ticking your nose.

"Now I am," Enji smirked. "Your hair's already getting its color back so hurry up." Little by little, Enji saw the roots of your hair gradually earn it's original color back was once a faded white.

"Nobody gets between me and my hot chocolate," you sipped on the rich brown liquid that flooded your body with enlightening warmly feelings. Enji rolled his turquoise eyes and awaited the moment your beverage had ran dry. By this time, your hair was a breathtaking gradient of (h/c) to pearly white meaning you're cold but nothing a little exercise or blankets won't fix.

"Let's skate," you ran out from your spot in the snow and slipped freely across the ice. The wind was nippy, but nothing would beat the feeling of flying! Enji took after your lead, skating after you with nothing but the boots on his feet. Everyone was skating, laughing, having the time of their lives. Those pesky rock throwing kids from earlier even joined in. Those boys were throwing each other around, laughing whenever another slipped. Kids be kids right?

With a little help from your quirk, you created ice skates out of thin air made of ice itself. The skates hugged your feet as if they were a real extension of your body. You're known for using them, especially in combat when the field is glossed over in ice. You're zipping all over the place! The ice buckled beneath your blades suddenly. A large crack in the ice followed your movements, growing ever larger, water glosses over the surface. Your heart became rigid in fear.

"That's not supposed to happen... I could've sworn I froze it all," you nearly tripped again with the ice splitting apart at blinding rates. "G-Get off the ice everyone-" too slow to escape the reality of falling through the ice. The darkness ensnared your frail body within it's cold embrace. No matter how hard you tried to scream, tried to swim up, your nerves grew numb little by little until nothing remained. Ice cloaked your body little by little, claiming it, and everything else the water touched.

-----

"Thirty years ago a sixteen year old UA student had drowned within the historical lake of ice. Since then the lake has been a quite literal block of nearly impenetrable ice that doesn't melt under most conditions. Many efforts had been made over the years to excavate the student's body in order to thaw out the lake. It's been confirmed that she has a strong emitter quirk named Ice Age and is responsible for freezing the pond. As of recent, public officials claim that the student's body could be excavated in less than a week-"

The Tv became an endless pool of black static.

Shoto Todoroki's head snapped to the large man of hellish flames. He had the tv remote in one hand, making him the one responsible for shutting the television down. "About damned time," Endeavor, the Number One Hero as of recent, bellowed as he dropped the remote atop his cluttered desk.

"I was watching that..." Shoto spoke up against his father.

"Why watch it when you could be part of it," Endeavor stepped past his son to make way for an exit. With one hand on the door, he gave Shoto a heated glare. "Are you gonna sit on your ass all day? Get up!" He barked out those orders with urgence.

Shoto let's out an annoyed sigh, "may I ask what we're doing?"

"Getting the girl out of the ice."

"I don't wanna touch a thirty year old corpse..." Shoto really had no other way to comment on the order.

"You don't have a choice," Endeavor snapped.

"Can't you do this alone?" Shoto complained.

"You will help me get the girl out of the ice."

"And why is she so important?" Shoto really couldn't care less if the corpse was excavated or not. It's been there for thirty years and nobody is affected by it. Why care?

"Want the truth?" Shoto's father began to grimace sickly. "She would've been your mother if she hadn't fell through the ice back then. Happy?" The man stormed out without another word on the matter.

Shoto stood there, letting that comment sink in as he examined each word carefully leaving him in an even deeper state of confusion. "Would've been my mom... What?"

"Shoto!" Endeavor's voice rumbled the office.

"I want answers..." The boy sighed following his father from the hero agency to the lake that went by many names. The older generation called it the Historical Lake, the younger just called it a block of ice. Thirty years ago it might've been bustling with life but now it's nothing but cold dead nothingness behind old weathered caution tape. Many pro heroes and volunteers were working themselves to the bone digging at the ice with their vast array of quirks. The ice must be miraculous if it doesn't melt and pro heroes can barely make a dent in the ice. Shoto couldn't look past how the lake was frozen, yet the ice was completely clear. Koi fish of yellows, reds and silver were frozen within time mid swim. A small tunnel within the ice led to a girl with mostly white (h/c) hair who was frozen within the water reaching desperately at the surface. She tried to escape and died doing so. It was a chilling image that shook Shoto to the bone.

Shoto forced himself to look away, "it all comes with the job..."

"Hey Todoroki!!!" Shoto jumped with the shock of his name being called. His head darted around searching for the source. His search ended laying eye upon a shirtless male with fiery red hair, Eijiro Kirishima, a student within his class.

"Hi Kirishima," Shoto blankly spoke.

Kirishima smiled ear to ear, "Todoroki are you here to help too? I've been working on the ice for a week now and I've barely made a dent," the boy showed off his hands, they were rugged, bruised, shaking with exhaustion.

"Just how hard is it?" Shoto hummed giving the ice an experimental tap with his shoe.

"I've shaved off like half a bucket of ice," Kirishima shrugged. "The guys said I've made the most progress out of anyone in so little time if that says alot. One week compared to 30 years!"

"That's... Scary," Shoto, again, couldn't find the right words to say. Something else has been on the mind. "Kirishima... Do you think the girl's alive?" He spoke up out of the blue. The boys were standing just feet away from where the girl lied frozen in time.

"I don't think so bro," Kirishima wore an awkward smile. "I don't think anyone can survive thirty years in the ice. Clearly mammoths didn't."

"But... Its possible right?" Shoto became adamant about the idea. "Her quirk is Ice Age. The mammoths during the Ice Age froze where they stood. Food in the freezer are edible once thawed out. Nature's pause button..." Shoto found himself making eye contact with you once again through the ice. Your (e/c) orbs were still beaming with energy, yet distressed upon the sudden coming of cold death. This idea that you're still alive was one that won't go to rest anytime soon.

"If you believe she's alive, I'll stand right by you," Kirishma's body hardened up in preparation. "Can't knock the idea until we try it. Either way we got to get her out of the ice."

"You're not wrong," Shoto bowed his head.

"Let's go at it then! We're just a few inches away from freeing her," Kirishima snatched Shoto by the arm and led him down the narrow tunnel that led deeper and deeper into the frozen expanse of ice at a very minimal decline. The further in they went, the lower the temperature dropped. The female's body lied still within the ice at the end of the tunnel. Shoto thought he was close to the girl on the outside, but within the ice it was like her cold grasp on death was moving to capture him. The frigid temperatures were almost overwhelming.

"Okay then..." Shoto ran his hand down the wall of ice. "If the ice doesn't melt, how am I supposed to help?"

"It melts!" Kirishima piped up. "Only super hot temps can melt it. The guys used blow torches and space heaters for a while but it's bad for nature and stuff so they stopped." That's a logical explanation with global warming a worldwide issue as of late.

"I'll heat up the ice and you dig at it I guess..." Shoto stood before Kirishima, using his own body as a shield for the crimson haired Male. His left hand was held out, small embers awakened at the skin of his fingertips. Those embers gave birth to a bounty of flames that flooded the tunnel like water. Kirishima cowered behind Shoto, letting the boy do his work. The second Shoto could hear the sound of sizzling water, he called back his flurry of flames to stand aside for Kirishima's turn. The boy jumped in, throwing his weight behind every punch against the wall. Just a few punches in, and he'd already taken off an inches worth of ice shavings!

This tiring turn by turn process of heating and scraping went on for nearly an hour. The second Kirishima unearthed clothes from within the ice, the pant leg of the girl in particular, he froze and turned to Shoto for guidance. "Bro... What if she is dead? I don't want to touch the body." That thought had just dawned on him.

"Then..." Shoto paused to think. "Then why have you been working to free it?"

"To help?" Kirishima couldn't exactly answer clearly. "I really didn't expect us to be the ones to reach her."

"We can't stop now when we're so close," Shoto points out.

"Aw man..."

"Leave if you want."

"We're digging up a body how else am I supposed to take this!?" Kirishima paced around for a moment. It was all to blow off the much needed steam and think over his options. Even real heroes have to deal with bodies sometimes, and he wants to become a real hero. "Okay, I can do this," the crimson haired boy rubbed his freezing hands together. "Can you heat up the ice without fire?" Shoto nods. "Then let's do this."

"Let's make this quick then... I'm tired," Shoto yawned, pressing his left hand to the wall of ice where the ankle of her pants poked out. The heat from his body had the cold water slowly dribble down the wall. Kirishima squeezed in and punched the wall continuously. They had finally freed her feet from the ice. Although they were just feet, Shoto was entranced by the idea that she wore ice skates made of crystalline ice itself. Working at the wall even more, her legs were freed and then the waistline leaving just the upper half to be excavated. Kirishima was still chipping away, Shoto kept his quirk activated yet he was beginning to snooze standing upright.

There was a faint movement out of Kirishima's eye. Kirishima, unsure of the sight, stepped closer to the corpse. His biggest fear had came true. "It moved!!!" The boy jumped pulling Shoto back with him. "B-Bro it just moved!!!" Kirishima pointed dramatically at the wall. He wasn't wrong, one of the girl's legs were twitching in two second intervals.

Even Shoto understood the shock with enlarged eyes yet he kept his ground. "Let's pull her out then. I'm pretty sure we can," the boy suggested.

"Better than a dead body I guess," Kirishima hesitantly grabbed the girl by one of her ankles. Shoto followed his example and grasped the other. The boys pulled and tugged on the ice bound girl in unison, her body came out inch by inch, until she just 'fell' out onto the melted ice in a splash!

She was shivering, whimpering in pain and hugging herself desperately for warmth. Kirishima ran out of the tunnel to get some aid. Shoto found himself kneeling down, resting a warm hand upon her arm. The girl flinched, shooting away from Shoto with wild eyes shrunken in fear. "Wh-who are you? Where am I?" The icy cavern was cold and dark. She couldn't recognize a thing could she.

"I'm Shoto... Shoto Todoroki," he sat back upon his knees.

"Todoroki?" You hummed looking the boy over. He had dual tone hair of snow white and crimson red and eyes to match of steel grey and electric blue. The fire half of him reminded you of another, "a-are you Enji's younger b-b-brother? I can see a resemblance..."

Well, Dad wasn't wrong when he said he knew this girl... Shoto thought with a small tilt of his head. "I'm his son actually."

"Son?" You squeaked.

"I'm the youngest of four siblings..." Shoto regrets to admit. He isn't taking the betrayed expression you're giving so lightly. It's having his own heart hurt just looking at you.

"E-Enji's only sixteen h-how could he h-h-have four kids-"

"He's 46 not 16," Shoto spoke up correcting your assumptions.

"I-I don't understand..." You began to weep.

"You've been froz-"

"Shoto!" Endeavor bellowed.

"Crap..." Shoto cursed. The cavern of ice was illuminated with the orange glow of Endeavor's blazing facial hair and eye mask. At last, with his full appearance you'd finally calm down as you recognized Endeavor as a grown version of the boy you loved long ago.

"Enji?" You called out to the Pro Hero.

"We have alot to talk about..." The man knelt down and allowed the flames on his face to become extinguished. It was all to reveal his true identity to the girl he once knew.

Your shivering hand grazed his cheek. "You're so... Grown. What happened?" You found yourself questioning everything there happened to be. I was skating with Enji... Now he's older than dirt and I'm still sixteen?

"Again, we have alot to talk about. Shoto!" He snarled.

"Right here..." The teen rolled his eyes.

"Take her to our home. Make sure you keep her warm."

"Fine... Okay," Shoto stepped forward and held out his hand as a silent request for your own. Lost, however seeking for guidance his hand wasn't left empty for long as your hand met his of everlasting warmth. Your entire body melted into the touch, Shoto saw it, realizing just how cold you must've felt. "Here, just hug me or something. My entire left side is hot-"

You latched onto Shoto for dear life squeezing him like a boa constrictor. "Thank you!"

Everything afterwards was absolutely new. Your ex boyfriend's son escorted you to his grand home, on the way there the entire city was barely recognizable as it had changed so much over the last thirty years. There was no longer any billboards but electronic signs instead. The buildings felt taller and almost futuristic. Another disheartening aspect was all the Pro Heroes who roamed the city, most of them were once students within your own class all grown up and well... Super and you hadn't changed a bit.

Another one of Enji's children, the second oldest child and only daughter, Fuyumi, had made sure to give you a fresh change of clothes: a silky white gown and bubblegum pink pants to match. Yours were drenched in icy cold lake water. The fresh change was well appreciated.

In the meantime Shoto had been preparing the guest room within the estate and a kettle of tea awaiting your return within the kitchen. Shoto is a very respectful child. Is child even appropriate? He's your exact age... Sort of? You're not even sure if you should call yourself 16 or 46. You lived 16 years while 30 of them were put on hold. Your body hadn't aged a day since...

Shoto took a seat beside you at the table, he had poured out a steaming hot cup of tea for the two of you. "Thank you," you thanked him in a near shaky whisper.

"Excuse me," Shoto left the room and came back draping a furr blanket over your shoulders.

"Th-thank you!" You pulled the warm blanket to close around your body.

"Anything to help," Shoto bowed his head. "I never did get your name."

"I'm (Y/n)... (Y/n) (L/n)."

"Mind telling me the history you have with my dad? He..." Shoto had to rethink his words then again nothing better came to mind. "Look... He said you were supposed to be my mom but that honestly fucks me up a little bit," (Y/n) has an ice quirk, my real mom has an ice quirk. Both of them have whitish hair too. This is all fucked up.

"We were dating, known as the fire and ice power couple... That's really it," you sipped on your tea. You never really ever got used to tea. Your mom's hot cocoa was always the best.

"Thanks..." Shoto got his answers. "Well, I guess you drowned thirty years ago and froze the lake. Now you're out of the ice, Enji has four kids. That's all I can really say," Shoto had a feeling you're confused and overwhelmed with everything.

"Long story short, I 'died' and 30 years passed... Can I borrow a phone? I want to see if my parents are still alive."

"Sure..." Shoto handed you his phone.

A silent thank you, the old phone number was dialed and the phone buzzed trying to reach the destined number. Luckily, a static hum was better than that disconnected beep of doom. The hum repeated itself nine more times, before the tenth hum was the one that made the charm.

"Hello?" Spoke a weak voiced woman... Mom.

"H-Hi there... You should probably sit down. I know you're easily startled," you heard the squeaky skid of a metal chair upon the floor from the opposite end of the line. "Mom... This is (Y/n)... Your daughter... I came back from the dead I guess?" Shoto didn't like the sound of that. Don't start a conversation out like 'I came back from the dead!'

"Oh you're finally talking to me after you ran away how long ago? Did Enji dump you? Either way, you're not welcome home.... Bzzzzt!" From the morbid expression on your face to the disconnected hum of the phone. Shoto understood that you're left with nothing. Just like how he spent most of his own life disconnected from the world.

Shoto manually took the phone away from the grasp of your frozen form. "Are you okay?"

"My family... They want nothing to do with me anymore."

"How do I understand your problem-" You erupted into a crying fit, leaning into Shoto until your face was buried into his shoulder. Shoto himself could push you away, giving you to supportive hug anyone deserves in this time of need.

First chapter done!!! How do you all like it?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.8K 650 18
Todoroki Hanako is Shoto's twin sister. While Shoto was blessed with two quirks, Hana only fully developed ice, creating toxic favoritism from Endeav...
47.7K 1.4K 22
It's been ages since you last saw the beautiful young boy you met as a child. He's been in your dreams since when you encountered him on one snowy wi...
9.4K 619 31
When you get burned, you run the inflicted area under cold, running water. That soothes the wound and the person with it. The cold helps it heal, a...
1.1M 38.6K 58
Shoto Todoroki is Endeavors' youngest son and his 'masterpiece' compared to his older siblings. However at the age of seven another child was born to...