𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐫'𝐬 𝐛𝐢𝐠...

By rwajahat

the avatar's big sister // legend of korra ――✧・゚: *✧・゚:*―― ❝ there was something hidden inside those sharp sa... More

« 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐓𝐀𝐑'𝐒 𝐁𝐈𝐆 𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 »
──── 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 : 𝐎𝐍𝐄
001. the beginning of it all
002. the awaited test of fire
003. a journey of a lifetime
004. welcome to republic city
005. triads and mishaps
006. wrongfully arrested
007. air temple island
009. a leaf in the wind
010. a new threat
011. the fear within
012. romance and heartbreaks
013. and the winner is. . .
014. the aftermath
015. team avatar arises
016. where's korra?
017. turning the tides
018. the final battle
019. a world with no avatar?
──── 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 : 𝐓𝐖𝐎
001. festival time!
002. rebel spirit
003. an awaited confrontation
004. rough times ; parts one & two
005. realizations ; parts one - three
006. worst nightmare
007. before the beginning
a/n
008. secrets revealed ; part one

008. probending time!

11.1K 323 114
By rwajahat

THE AVATAR'S BIG SISTER .

── ☆ ☆ ☆ ──

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 a few minutes of swimming, we finally arrived outside of the Probending Arena building, which was even more mesmerizing up close. It was a pristine, majestic, and luxurious palace that lit up the entire Republic City sky with its scintillating golden lights. 

I stretched my neck upwards to get a good look at the series of windows on the buildings upper stories. "Korra, let's enter through there," I said, pointing towards an open window. 

She looked up and smiled in satisfaction. We both spun around in the water, creating a funnel which carried us up to the window. We entered through it, leading us inside a long hallway. I turned to Korra, who was finishing drying herself, with twisted lips. "So, now what?"

"Uh. . .oh, look!" She pointed at two large set of doors straight ahead. "Let's it out."

We set off running down the hallway and stopped at the doors. I quietly peeked inside, finding a spacious room with equipment, earth disks, dumbbells, and punching bags scattered everywhere. 

"This is a nice looking gym," Korra remarked, admiring the huge amount of equipment.

"I suppose," I hesitantly replied before scolding Korra, who was trying out some of the dumbbells for herself. "Put that down, you idiot! This isn't what we came here for—"

"HEY!" A loud, hoarse voice boomed from the entrance. We quickly turned around and saw an old man, who was wearing a damp towel around his neck, sporting an irritated look across his wrinkled face. "What are you girls doing in my gym?!"

I frantically eyed Korra with panic, hoping she had some excuse up her sleeve, but all that loser suggested was: "Quick, Kat, go flirt with him or something! If you can buy me some time, I can—"

Midway through her plan, I couldn't help feeling incredibly offended. "Excuse me, do you think I can just use my special talents with just anyone? I have standards, you know?"

"So, you're into law enforcement then?" she quipped. 

"You can't blame me for that! I was about to be arrested for a crime you did—"

Seemed like we took that old man's state for granted, because by the time we could even come up with an excuse, he already had his hands on our shoulders and started pushing us towards the exit. We barely managed to get out off his grip before we had reached the double doors.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Korra raised her hands up defensively, sporting an innocent smile. "You got this all wrong! We were just, uh, looking for a bathroom, that's all!" 

"Yeah! We got lost." I added sweetly, playing along, though the man didn't seem to buy into our lie. 

"Tch, do you really think I'll fall for that? You know, I'm sick and tired of you kids sneaking in and not paying. I'm taking you twos to security." 

"No, wait!" Korra started to protest, but before he could harshly push us out again, a probender had entered the doors. He had seemed pretty young, with messy black hair with a little curl sticking out. His bright, emerald eyes quickly looked at us, then the man, then finally at us before a huge smile formed on his lips.

"There you guys are! I was looking everywhere for guys!—It's alright Toza, they're with me!"

Korra and I eyed each other with confusion before deciding to go along with it. She nodded quickly as she stood besides him as if he was her best friend. "Yeah, we're with him!"

"You see, we're together," he smirked, wrapping his arms around her shoulder.

Her eyes widened, quickly pulling away. "Well, not "together" together, more like friends."

The probender blushed as he brushed his hair back. "R-right. Friends—no no, I didn't mean to imply—"

"Oh, you implied it." she murmured through her teeth.

Fighting the irresistible urge to slap my forehead out of annoyance, I gestured to the three of us and clarified, "What they're trying to say is that we're a group."

Toza threw his hands his hands up in the air, frustrated. "Gah! I don't care what you are. I got work to do!" With that, he walked away, making all of us let out a relieved sigh. 

"Right this way, ladies," The probender gestured towards the exit with a large grin.

"And thank you, sir," Korra replied sarcastically, walking past him into the hallway.

I placed a hand on his shoulder, giving him a wide, grateful smile. "But, seriously, thank you."

☆        ☆       ☆

The charming young probender leaded us into a room, and judging by the lockers, a sports bench, and the horrible stench of sweat, we were probably in a locker room. On the other side of the locker room was an open view of the main playing field.

"What do you guys think? Best seats in the house, huh?" he smirked, folding his arms against his chest. 

"The view from here is incredible," I bubbled out in awe. It was most certainly breathtaking, the platformed arena that was surrounded by the glistening body of water was perfectly in full view.

Korra turned to him with the same impressed expression. "This place is even more amazing than I imagined."

He smiled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Names Bolin, by the way."

"Korra," she mumbled, her tone sounded distracted as she scanned curiously around the room.

"I'm Katrina," I bowed respectfully before giving a pointed nod towards Korra. "I'm that loser's older sister." 

"Ah, I got one of those," he chuckled before quickly clarifying, "A older brother, I mean."

"Bolin, huh?" I said questionably, the name sounding familiar. But before I could ask what team he belonged to, two probenders walked into the locker room with tired looks. One of them had noticed me before drifting his gaze over to Korra. As if he expected this to happen, he deeply sighed and motioned Bolin to follow him.

That guy was pretty attractive. His hair was slicked up a little but at the front, and had a nice jawline. His eyes were a shiny amber color.

He had pretty....interesting eyebrows. You know, they kind of remind me of-

I slapped a hand over my mouth, hiding my wrongful snicker. The man turned around and looked at me with a concern look. "Uh, you okay?"

I burst into laughter. "I'm so sorry, but why the heck does your eyebrows look like freaking baby sharks?! Did you have a little accident while plucking your eyebrows?" I giggled, trying so hard to stop laughing.

He looked very offended.

"Bolin," I heard him whispered angrily. "You need to stop bringing your crazy fangirls in here. Get them outta' here."

My lips tugged into a frown, feeling incredibly offended. I mean, I suppose the eyebrow thing was a bit immature, but did a callout of horrible pluck-job deserve the label as chaotic fans? 

"Did you hear that? That guy just called us crazy fangirls!" I whispered bitterly to Korra—who, even in the midst of her euphoria, had enough awareness to quip: "Don't act like you wouldn't jump off the damn walls like one if you saw the Lion Vultures."

I gasped with a hand at heart, taken aback by the disrespectful, yet absolutely true statement. "Alright, but you can't compare them to—whoever team that guy is in."

"You two aren't allowed to be in here," grumbled Shark-Brows, roughly grabbing his helmet from a locker.  

"Uh, Katrina, Korra, this is my older brother, Mako," Bolin sheepishly informed the two of us.

"Mako?" I repeated with realization, turning to Korra, who gave me an expression mixed between smugness and genuine surprise. That was why Bolin's name was familiar. Sure, I (and Korra, who doesn't want to admit it) may have loved the Lion Vultures team, but the Fire Ferrets were a pretty close second.

Korra grinned and exclaimed, "Wow! I heard you play on the radio. Nice to meet you." 

She held out her hand, but he rudely walked right past her, putting on his helmet. "Come on Bolin, we're up," he said sternly, exiting the locker room.

"And I suppose that's why the Fire Ferrets are our second favorite team," I jested to Korra, who shrugged her shoulders.

"Bolin gave us an apologetic look. "Sorry about my brother. He just gets really. . .focused before a match."

"Bolin!" Mako called from outside the locker room. The young probender quickly putted on his helmet, sending a bright smile to us.

"Okay, I gotta' go. Wish me luck!—Not that I need it, though."

Korra and I chirped, "Good luck!"

The young earthbender had ran out the room before appearing back into the entrance with a wink, "Don't worry, I'll make sure the Fire Ferrets come out top as your favorite probending team!" 

"We'll see about that, kid," I chuckled, returning the playful wink.

☆ ☆ ☆

After a while, all the lights turned off except for the spotlights that shined on the playing area. In the middle of the field, an announcer rose from a platform with a microphone in hand.

"Oh my god, it's starting!" Korra exclaimed, clapping her hands excitedly. 

"Introducing the Fire Ferrets!" As the announcer called them up, the Fire Ferrets appeared on the field. The crowd cheered as the boys waved at their fans.

Bolin grins fiercely and holds up his hands to his ear. "I can't hear you!"

Everyone roared even louder, making his smile grow wider.

"Ahh! I love you Bolin!" I heard many female fans shout.

"Hey, folks! I'm your commentator, Shiro Shinobi. Now, the rookie Ferrets came from out of nowhere and have made it further than anyone expected this season, but tonight, they face their toughest test yet."

The two Pro-bending teams, Ferrets and Tigerdillos, lined up on either side of the field's center line, and assume hunched bending stances with fists held high.

A referee on a platform signalled for the match to begin.

*C L A N G*

"And they're off!"

The two teams leaped back to the back of their first zone and started flinging elements at each other.

Bolin summoned an earth disk from a slot in the floor, and kicked it over to a firebender Tigerdillo, who blocked with a fire wave.

The two teams wasted no time trying to blast each other out of zone one. The Tigerdillio Firebender threw a fireball across the midline, forcing Fire Ferret Hasook to roll out of the way. As he jumped, he threw a splash of water.

"Hasook is the first to feel the heat of the Tigerdillos." Shibobi exclaimed. His Tigerdillo target dodged, then kicked an earth disk back across the midline.

Mako showcased his trademark cool-under-fire style. The Tigerdillos shot all elements straight at him.

Luckily, he dodged all of them with his fast movements. He drew punches out of a powerful fireball. The attack filled the field with blazing fire, but then, two Tigerdillos came forward beneath the fire, and threw their elements at Hasook and Bolin. Both attacks hitted and knocked the Ferrets off their feet. In landing, Hasook and Bolin tumbled into the second zone, prompting a buzzer to sound and the zone border to light up.

"The Tigerdillos score with a walloping one-two combo," Shinobi said. "Can their teammate hold on for their zone one territory?"

Mako dodged attacks with flying leaps, but then he got hit by an earth disk and slid back.

My eyes widened as his foot slid over the zone's back line, sounding the buzzer. Korra leaned her head back in frustration and groaned, "No!"

Shinobi sighed, "Guess not. Mako's over the line and the Tigerdillos advance into Ferret territory."

The center line of the field lighted up green and all three Tigerdillos stepped forward into the first zone of the Ferret's side of the court.

Korra pumped her fist in the air. "COME ON FIRE FERRETS!" She looked at me and smacked my shoulder. "Come on, Katrina! We gotta cheer for them!"

I smiled at her enthusiasm and cupped my hands around my mouth, shouting, "GO FERRETS! YOU GUYS CAN DO IT!"

The pro-benders are once more trading attacks. Bolin fired an earth disk over, but it was deflected back with a kick by his opponent. The disk hit Hasook, knocking him into the final zone.

*B U Z Z *

"Look's like Hasook's in trouble. He's in zone three, teetering over the brink."

The Tigerdillo waterbender kicked a disk of water at the Ferrets, and while the others dodged it, Hasook was knocked off his feet by the impact. An earth disk attack immediately followed up, and he's knocked over the edge and into the water below the playing arena.

"And Hasook takes a dip. He'll be back for round two—assuming the fabulous bending brothers can hold their ground until the next round."

Bolin tried to block another water attack with a earth disk, but the water broke through and knocked him back into zone three. Mako shortly followed after taking a hit of his own.

*C L A N G *  *C L A N G *  *C L A N G *

"Round one goes to the Golden Temple Tigerdillos!"

Korra and I groaned in frustration. The Ferrets took their places back to the first zone. The bell ranged and the next round started The Tigerdillos immediately attacked one Ferret after another, and eventually, they pushed them back into the next zone.

*B U Z Z *

"The Fire Ferrets are knocked into zone two and the Tigerdillos advance."

The attacks immediately started again. Bolin punched an earth disk forward. A Tigerdillo fired off a short stream of water, but got hit in the stomach with the disk. Bolin blocked two fireballs, and Hasook kicked out a pair of water lashes that knocked another Tigerdillo to the floor.

Bolin sended out another disk that hitted the center Tigerdillo and sent him back to zone three. Simultaneous fire and water attacks from the other Ferrets sent the other two opponents back.

*C L A N G*

"The Fire Ferrets cinch the round in the closing seconds." Bolin and Hasook cheered while Mako kneeled down, trying to catch his breath.

"It's one a piece. Still anyone's match as we go into the third and final round."

The round started and all the Probenders leaped back. The Tigerdillo Waterbender targeted Hasook, who dodged two water attacks.

A sudden water attack pushed Hasook onto Bolin and knocked both of them to the floor.

"He and Bolin better untangle quick if they don't wanna—" Shinobi cutted off as the Tigerdillo Earthbender kicked a disk at the two, striking them as they were getting back up. "Oh, too late."

Both were sent flying out the back of the field and land in the water. I clutched my face, dead focused on the match. 

"It's all up to Mako now." Shinobi muttered dramatically. The Tigerdillo Waterbender kicked a shot at Mako, who easily dodged it. Attacks of all three elements came at him as he ran across the arena, ducking and spinning to avoid every attack. 

"He's bobbing and weaving, he's weaving and bobbing, but he's not hitting back."

Mako was backed up, his foot dangerously close to the edge of the playing field. "If he's knocked out, the Ferrets fabulous season is over."

No words, no sounds erupted from the crowd as they all watched in suspense. Could he do it?

Shinobi's voice boomed in the arena. "He is dancing on the edge of the ring, surviving the three on one barrage. It seems his plan is to let the Tigerdillos punch themselves out."

After dodging the attacks, Mako finally throws a fireball at them. "And his plan is working!"

The fireball passed right through the Tigerdillo Waterbender's prepared water, turning it to steam, and continued to slam into the probender's chest and sent him tumbling straight over the edge of the field.

"Hahn is in the pool, they've got nothing left in the tank and Mako is on the offense!"

Mako rushed forward with steady, strong fire attacks. "It's two on one!" 

Although the remaining tigerdillos blocked some of his attacks, the Firebender one takes a hit. He filed into the railing and bounced back and into the water.

"Scratch that. It's one on one, and it's an earth and fire slugfest."

The tigerdillo earthbender and Mako both tossed attacks after another. The attacks collided over the field's center line, causing the disks to explode. The explosion of them causes a big dust cloud, making it hard to see.

"There's so much smoke and dust from the fire fight I can't even see where the Fire Ferret is."

Suddenly, Mako cames leaping out of the dust cloud and brought down a flaming fist that pushed a wave of fire right into the Earthbender's chest, causing him to crash back over the edge and fall into the water.

*C L A N G*  *C L A N G*  *C L A N G*

The bell ranged, ending the game and the crowd roared Both Korra and I were jumping up and down in excitement, shouting, "They won! They won!"

"It's a knockout! What a wingdinger of a hat trick, folks! Mako pulls off the upset of the season, winning the match for the Fire Ferrets."

Mako took off his helmet, and smiled at the cheering crowd. I turned to look at Korra, who was staring at Mako, her eyes filled with admiration. I smirked as a small smile appeared on her face, which blossomed into an open-mouthed grin. 

☆       ☆       ☆

"Woohoo! Yes!"

We turned around and saw Bolin, leaping back inside the locker room with a beaming grin. "One more win, and we're in the championship tournament!"

He approached us, taking off his helmet with a smirk. "Did I succeed in making the Fire Ferrets your ultimate favorite team of all time?"  

I sighed, playfully putting my hands up in defense, "All right, you win. Forget the Lion Vultures; the Fire Ferrets are officially my favorite."

He pumped his fist in victory and hissed, "Yes!", before turning to Korra with a flirty smile. "So, what'd you think, Korra? Bolin's got some moves, huh?" 

"What did I think? What did I think?!" Korra suddenly grabbed Bolin aggressively by his shirt before shoving him away, making him yelp as he stumbled back. "That was freaking amazing!" 

Mako and Hasook entered the locker room a little while later, where Mako took off his helmet and turned to Hasook with a bitter expression. "You did more harm than good out there. You almost cost us a match."

"We won, didn't we?" Hasook retorted.

"Barely."

"Get off my case, pal." He threw his helmet on the floor and walked right out of the locker room.

"Tch, useless," Mako scoffed and mumbled as he walked to his locker. I smiled, turning to Bolin. 

"You guys were incredible out there."

"Especially you, Mr. Hat Trick." Korra smirked, referring to Mako who doesn't even bother to look at her.

"Oh, you two still here?" he asked sarcastically.

"Oh, you're still a jerk?" she mocked, making him shake his head tiredly as we all broke into laughter.

"You know, Bolin," Korra begun. "I've always been immersed in bending my whole life, but I never learned how to move like. It's like there's a whole new style here. Think you could show me a few tricks?"

He grinned. "Of course!"

Mako tiredly sighed, "Right now? Come on, Bolin."

"Just ignore him," Bolin whispered to her, waving a dismissive hand. "Anyways, I can show you the basics! I'm just not sure how my Earthbending would translate to your Waterbending, but we'll figure it out."

Korra crossed her arms and smirked. "Won't be a problem. I'm actually an Earthbender."

He blinked, taken aback. "I'm sorry—no, no, I didn't mean to assume 'cause I—you know, I was just figuring, with you and your sister's Water Tribe getup that you're. . .a water tribe. . .gal."

Korra chuckled again, "No, no, your right. I'm a Waterbender and  a Firebender!"

I couldn't help rolling my eyes and sighed in annoyance, "Here we go again."

He arched an eyebrow and glanced at me, confused, before looking back at Korra with pursed lips. "Yeah, um, I am—I am very confused right now."

Mako slowly turned around to look at Korra. "You're the Avatar. . ." He lowered his head and sighed, "And I'm an idiot."

"Both are true." she sassed, hands on her hips.

I looked over at Bolin, who looked like he was about to faint. "I—what—how. . .oh my god! No way!" He turned around to Mako with widened eyes, and hovered his hand besides his lips, pointing and mouthing, "The Avatar!"

He quickly turned to me, still shocked. "Wait, so you're the big sister of the Avatar?? The Avatar??"

I forced a smile, shrugging my folded arms. "Unfortunately,"

Bolin putted a hand over his heart, fanning himself with his other one. "Okay, I think I'm actually gonna faint—"

Korra placed a hand on his shoulder. "Okay, okay. Calm your fangirl self and let's go practice!"

As we walked down to the gym, I can hear little ol' Bolin, telling himself not to faint.

I chuckled. This is gonna be a long night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 3K 26
Being the daughter of the current Fire Lord, and the future Fire Lord has its ups and downs. People adoring you and getting away with things that you...
97.3K 3.1K 18
- "All I want to do is be more like me and be less like you." - Y/n always searched for an escape as little, always feeling captured by the past. - "...
19K 598 55
Everyone dreams of being the greatest at something. May it be the greatest bender, the greatest warrior or even the greatest Avatar. But in my case...
4.3K 171 28
"You love him, don't you? I see the way you look at him. It's like he's your whole world. I can't possibly blame you for falling in love with someone...