002. the awaited test of fire

THE AVATAR'S BIG SISTER .

── ☆ ☆ ☆ ──

𝐓𝐎𝐃𝐀𝐘 was the awaited day where Korra would be demonstrating her firebending, the third element she had been practicing on for the last several months, in action. As I rushed down to see Korra outside to the training area where the test was going to be held, I luckily managed to catch her in the hallway nearby inside the Compound.

"Hey, loser." I greeted slyly to her, who glanced over her shoulder and followed up with a simple "Hey, accident."  —- it was basically our normal way of saying hello to each other.

The corner of my lips tugged down into a frown, resting a hand against the side of my hip as I whined, "For the last time, I wasn't an accident! I was intended! Unfortunately, I really don't know if I can say the same for you—"

"It's like you're begging me to burn your precious hair again," she mischievously smirked, raising the palm of her hand which revealed a small eruptive flame that was inches near from my locks. With instinct, I jumped far back with a terrified yelp, clutching tightly onto my poor hair with dear might.

"It's not funny, Korra!" I scolded with bottom lips jutted out as she proceeded to cackle at my previous reaction. "You've traumatized me ever since that horrible day!"

Her jeering laughter ended with a drawn-out sigh as she waved a dismissive hand. "You need to get over it. It's been what, twelve years?"

I bitterly retorted with a cry, "My hair was and will never be the same, you idiot! ——" 

"——For the last time, it looks fine," she mumbled with annoyance, fiddling with the helmet she had been holding. 

"Whatever," I scoffed dismissively, realizing that perhaps I should be more mature about it, even if there was still some hidden bitterness. "I intended on dropping by here to say good luck to my baby sister. . . before said sister rudely threatened the life of my locks."

Korra's lips curved into a self-assured smirk, placing her helmet over her head. "I appreciate the gesture, but I don't need it. I already know that I'm gonna nail it!" 

"Whatever you say," I muttered playfully. Truthfully, I already had no doubt that she was going to succeed. In the years since I've been here, I would sometimes watch my little sister's firebending and earthbending training in between breaks from my training to control my bloodbending—which she wasn't aware of.