Under The Moon's Shadow: Nigh...

By DarkMoon

In the far north, in an ancient forest there are packs of ancient wolves who have been blessed by the Moon Go... More

Under The Moon's Shadow: Night Tale - Prologue
Under The Moon's Shadow: Night's Tale - Chapter: 2
Under The Moon's Shadow: Night's Tale - Chapter 3
Under The Moon's Shadow: Night't Tale - Chapter 4

Under The Moon's Shadow: Night's Tale - Chapter: 1

166 4 2
By DarkMoon

Under The Moon’s Shadow: Night’s Tale

Chapter 1

Lightning streaked across the darkened sky causing thunder to roll through the thick dark gray clouds as the rain began to fall towards the dry parched earth filling the air with the scent of rain. The once dry cracked ground started slowly to turn to mud making the ground harder to run on. Danger was nipping at our heels like wild dogs, one miss step in the mud and those wild dogs wouldn’t hesitate to pounce and kill the unfortunate soul who slipped. Muscles stiff and sore from the continual running I was falling behind the others. We just had to make it to the river, with each mile we covered danger closed in around us creating a hangman’s noose that once pulled would end all of us. Someone nudged against my shoulder to keep me from falling any further behind the others. Once the river came into view we picked up our speed. Within minutes we had crossed the river and into safety while on the other side the enemy stood unable to cross the river due to the magic that stopped anyone but our own from entering.

On the other side of the river was the forest of the ancients. More specifically The Forest of The Ancient Wolves or at least that is what the locals call it. Nothing entered except the occasional giant wolf. The locals gave the forest wide berth in fear of these giant wolves. They where ancient looking, wolves so large that they could take down a wooly mammoth, mussels slightly shorter than the gray wolves of today and an extreme danger that just seemed to radiated off of them. The locals believe that these wolves where the off spring of some ancient wolves that died out long ago. What they didn’t know was that we where the ancient wolves, the ancestors of wolves and werewolves. Wolves now are the descendants of those cursed by the goddess to forever walk the earth in animal form and the werewolves of legend don’t exist, we however do an ancient wolf blessed by the goddess to walk the world as man or beast. We are one or the other not both like the legends of werewolves say.

Slowly we entered into the forest, everyone alert and tense after the long and tiring run here to safety. We were finally back home within the forest of our ancestors. The sound of paws hitting the dry leaves that lined the forest floor, the sound of rain falling struggling to make it past the canopy above to reach the ground below and the rolling thunder all mixed to make hearing the slightest noise impossible to hear unless one was listening for it. I wasn’t listening for it so I didn’t hear the beating of his heart or his foot falls upon the ground next to me. I felt his warmth radiate through my thick snow white fur coat. A smile played at my lips as I turned my head in the direction of the warmth radiating off the intruder. There walking proudly next to me with the light from the lightning setting his black as night fur shimmering was Sorin my identical twin brother and the alpha of the pack that was our family. Identical twins we were in human form, in wolf form however we looked nothing alike.

Sorin whose name means “Sun” was reflected in human form with bronzed skin that shone, his long black hair shone so that it looked like silk and his eyes where such a golden color that it looked as if the rays of the sun had been captured in them. In his wolf form one would never guess what his name meant, with thick night black fur and darkened golden eyes he was my opposite. I am Nyx which means “Night” like my brother this was reflected in my human form, with bronze skin that didn’t shine, long night black hair that is so dark light gets lost in it and silver eyes that shine like a full harvest moon on the darkest night. In my wolf form no one would guess my names meaning, with thick pure harvest moon white fur and night black eyes I didn’t look much like the night of my name. I heard the jingle of his tags as he nudged me in my shoulder with his. A whine escaped my lips the moment he nudged me. After a week of running with no end in sight every muscle in my body was sore.

After he nudged me a second time everyone began to take on some semblance of a formation. I was close to the front of the formation. I was many things in this pack the alpha’s twin sister, the caregiver, the lookout thanks to my slightly more acute hearing and sense of smell, the princess of this forest and I was also the only female in the pack giving me the position of alpha female until the both of us find our mates. We weren’t like wild wolves in that sense; the goddess gave each of us a mark on our chest just above the heart. This marked us not only as her children but also meant that somewhere out there our mates bore the same mark above their heart. Each mark was different there were only two that where the same and those are the marks of mates. There wasn’t any fighting amongst females for standings, the males are the ones who fought to determine their position in the pack while a females’ standing was based on that of their male mate. If a female wanted to be an Alpha her mate would have to challenge for that position something that didn’t happen often.

-Nyx how close are we to home and Attila? - Sorin asked me mentally.

-10 yards to the right of us. - I answered back.

The forest was home to five packs, the Attila pack is the biggest one living in the forest, the Valko pack was the second largest, Ulric is the third pack, Tyr was the fourth pack and Ylva was the fifth pack of the forest. Sorin and I were from a different pack that no longer resides in the forest. Most of our pack was from one of the five forest packs that is until our tags changed. On the day of our births we are given by the goddess a necklace that is made up of three different tags, one tag is our birth tag stating the day we were born and what moon we were born under, the second tag is our pack tag each pack has a pack symbol and our pack tag holds that symbol, and the last tag tells what pack we are from so that we never forget our history.

The wind picked up carrying with it the scent of another pack that wasn’t one of the five packs that lived in this forest. It didn’t look like the others picked it up yet. I was the lookout so I was more alert to the changes then the other where so it wasn’t all that odd for me to pick up something before them.

-Sorin there is another pack nearby and it isn’t one of the five. - I said mentally while listening for the other packs foot falls to determine where they were in the forest.

-How far away from us are they? - Sorin asked back visibly tensing up with this news.

-They are in Valko territory. 15 yards to the far left of us.-

-How far away are we from home?-

-If we pick up our speed will meet with the Attila pack and be home in less than 5 minutes.- With that everyone picked up the pace.

Soon we come to the boarder and about to enter into the clearing that held the large cabins that we and the Attila pack called home. We slowed down and shifted into human form before breaking into the clearing. The guys put on some jeans that had been tied to their monstrous hind legs’ ankle while I put on the over sized t-shirt which came down to the top of my knees that had been tied to my hind ankle once I had my shirt on I checked to make sure my 5 year old twin sons had their jeans on. As we walked slowly further into the clearing I drew my sons’ hands into mine own. I walked in the center along with my sons while the guys surrounded us with Sorin up in front leading the group.

There sitting on the steps of the second largest cabin was a group of males. When they caught sight of us they stared with wide eyes. Sorin was the Alpha of the Ruling pack and it was larger than any of the others. Attila’s pack only had maybe ten less pack members then us. One of the younger males in the back got up and headed into the house to get Attila no doubt. We where half way to the cabin when the front door opened again and out step our Uncle Attila and Aunt Milena onto the cabin’s porch. We stopped 2 yards away from the cabin and waited while Attila came down the stairs to stand in front of Sorin. Attila scanned the pack and then turned his attention back to Sorin.

“Sorin, you are home early. What has happened?” Attila asked as he scanned our pack making sure all were accounted for and trying to find out why we had returned home early before giving Sorin and I a slight bow of his head.

“We’ve got trouble uncle. There is something hunting Ancients and they are excellent at it. We just barely out ran them on our way back home. We need to talk further inside.” Sorin replied with a slight nod of his head towards the cabin.

“Come on inside and let us talk.” Attila said causing all of us to move as one towards the house.

Once in the house everyone gathered into the kitchen where Aunt Milena served hot coffee to the guys. I settled my twins Deimos and Phobos down at the table with a glass of milk. Each step I took towards the table was punctuated by the jingling sounds of my tags hitting against each other and against the charms that represented my twin boys. I sat down at the table with my twins on one side and my twin brother on the other. As Aunt Milena set a glass of water in front of me I heard the jingle of her tags, the 3 charms for her children, and her wedding ring all creating music as she walked bring back memories of a time that was now long gone. After sitting down I turned my attention to where Attila was leaning back in his chair with arms folded over his chest looking at each one of the pack members.

“What happened, Sorin?” Attila asked my brother after he had taken a few sips of coffee.

“We were on our way back home after our summer trip when we were attacked. By what we don’t have any idea. It is a strange thing with no sounds or scent but extremely deadly.” Sorin said.

“You aren’t the first. Others have come seeking shelter here from the unknown. Tomorrow night there is to be a gathering of the Alphas and Betas.” Attila said as he looked around at our pack. Sorin nodded and we finished our drinks in silence. Once we finished Aunt Milena walked with us towards the largest and main cabin that was home. I walked next to Aunt Milena on the way there.

“There isn’t any food since your home early. I’ll bring by some stuff over in a few for the next three meals.” Aunt Milena said as she and I stood outside on the porch together after everyone went inside.

“Thank you Aunt Milena.” I said quietly looking up at the dusk sky, the clouds where still thick and there was a light mist falling from them now instead of rain.

“Rest Nyx while I gather up some food for all of you.” Aunt Milena said as she walked back towards her cabins. Giving the sky one last look I headed inside.

Once inside it looked and felt like we hadn’t been gone for almost 3 months. There where pack members everywhere some around the kitchen table playing cards, some in the living room watching a movie, others in the game room playing games, and two little pups dashing about the house like they’d never left. It seemed that I was the only one to notice the dust, dirt, grim, cobwebs and smell from it not being lived in for a time. With a sigh and slight shake of my head I walked straight for the laundry room to start on getting the sheets washed so we could all sleep in our beds tonight. I made a small stop in the kitchen for some pain relievers since each movement seemed to send flames through every single muscle. I didn’t know how the guys or the pups for that matter managed to not feel any pain from a week of constantly being on the move. After a glass of water and some pain reliever I made my way to the room that was just off the kitchen---the laundry room.

Somewhere in between doing the sheets and some slight cleaning Aunt Melina brought over food for breakfast and lunch tomorrow along with a fully cooked meal for dinner. I was utterly grateful to her for the cooked meal since the only thing I really wanted to do was fill up the tub with hot water and soak for a long time. After dinner I dropped off clean set of sheets in all the rooms before making up three different beds and then heading off to the a tub full of nice steaming hot water. When I finally got out of the tub it was time for me to round up two certain pups and get them ready for bed.

“Deimos and Phobos it is time for bed. Go get your teeth brushed.” I said peeking around the corner of their bedroom door. They were playing with some of their Hot Wheel cars on the floor.

“Okay mamma.” They answered in unison before heading down the hall to get their teeth brushed.

I smiled as they raced each other down the hall. Where they got the energy much less the strength to race each other after the long and dangerous week we’ve had was something I didn’t know but certainly wished I did since I could seriously use some of that energy right about now. With a slight shake of my head I turned back to their room to pick up the cars. Normally I would make them put away their toys before bed but I was late getting out of the tub and it was already way pass their bed time so the sooner I got them into bed the happier they’d be in the morning and not total monsters. Two minutes later they came back into the room and immediately climbed into their beds without so much as a word of protest which meant their energy was running low and they where sleepy. I tucked them both in and kissed them goodnight. Then I headed on down stairs to the kitchen for a glass of water and two more pain relievers before heading off to bed myself. In the kitchen sitting at the table speaking in low voices was Sorin and his beta Drusus.

“What is going on?” I asked hiding a yawn and making my way over to the sink for that glass of water.

“We were just discussing the details about the meeting tomorrow night.” Drusus answered when I had turned back around from the sink.

“What details? Attila didn’t give us any details other then it was a meeting for the Alphas and Betas.” I said sipping on my water wondering what the hell these two where really talking about.

“You’re correct as always. What Drusus and I are really discussing is a certain princess.” Sorin said and I shot him an odd look.

“I am an Alpha. I’ll be attending the meeting. The meeting is tomorrow night the pups will be asleep. What is there to discuss?” I said raising a perfectly shaped ebony eyebrow at him.

“Nyx you’re the only unmated female here old enough to mate and the princess.” Sorin replied in a matter of fact way.

“You two worry just a little too much.” I said while setting the glass into the sink.

“You don’t worry enough sometimes Nyx.” Drusus said to my back as I headed back towards the stairs and to bed. I rolled my eyes and waved a hand to them as I left. I was too tried to deal with pack issues and Wolf society tonight.

The morning sun rose to a clear blue sky the next day. Sitting out on the porch wrapped in a quilt my mother made I watched the sky gradually lighten and the rays of the sun filter through the trees in beams. No one else stirred as the sun began to rise and lighten the sky. I was still sitting there when Aunt Milena came by to check on us all.

“Just like your father up early to watch the sunrise.” She said coming up the cabin steps. I turned to look at the one who had been my father’s twin. Aunt Milena looked nothing like him, unlike Sorin and I who are identical twins they where fraternal twins.

“I’m not normally up this early more of a night person. Sorin normally is but it looks like for today our roles are reversed.” I said smiling at her. She smiled back at me as she sat down next to me on the top step of the porch.

“Night will come early for us today.” Aunt Milena said quietly from my right side. Dad use to say the very same thing to me when I would be up before Sorin and dad was still alive. He was usually right the days would be cloudy and dark. I wonder if today will be like that. Dad died 6 years ago in a hunting accident. Mom died a year later of a broken heart. For the last 5 years it has just been Sorin and I the last of our mother’s line and all that was left of their life together.

“It would seem that way.” I muttered looking over at her. Aunt Milena’s wording and actions where just like dad’s that it’s sometimes hard to be around her when she shows that side of her. We sat there for a little while in silence both of us no doubt where lost in thoughts of the past. Soon Aunt Milena got up leaving me alone. A few minutes after she left I looked up at the sky with a sigh, it was getting late and the others would be up soon wanting their breakfast.

-Guess it is going to be dark today.- Sorin said coming into the kitchen a few minutes after I had gotten in and started breakfast.

-Would seem that way. - I replied while handing him a cup of coffee. -We’ve got enough food for breakfast and lunch. A hunting group will need to go out today.-

-Alright I’ll get one planned for this afternoon. - He said.

Thirty minutes later I had breakfast on the table and in no time flat the rest of the pack was there. I shook my head while managing to grab three plates of food before everyone else ate it all in less than 10 minutes. No manners amongst pack members except not to steal food from the Alphas. Setting two plates of food down in front of Phobos and Deimos making sure they got breakfast I sat down next to them with my own plate and the three of us ate in a more clam manner then others at the other table who where growling and snarling at each other as they ate. I made enough food to feed an army but that never stopped the growling and snarling between them.

Ten o’clock came with the finishing of the dishes and the starting lunch. With so many mouths to feed it takes at least half an hour to make a single meal. In the living room I could hear Sorin getting together two hunting parties to leave after lunch. Deimos and Phobos where playing quietly behind the couch while the others created the hunting parties. An hour later the sandwiches finally made and in the refrigerator I was finally able to head off to get a shower. The down side to being the only female in a pack so much to do and never enough time to do it all in which means a lot of stuff being put on the back burner. Fifteen minutes later I came down stairs with a towel in my hand and plopped next to my brother on the couch.

-There are sandwiches in the frig for lunch. The pups and I will be going into town for the shopping of the other items in a little while. - I told Sorin mentally. Sorin and I never really said anything to each other unless others where around and needed to hear us. Sorin nodded his head at me in acknowledgement while getting up.

As I dried my hair with the towel I had brought down with me I watched the pups playing with hot wheel cars on the floor in front of the fire place. They looked so much like their parents, Deimos looked like his father with those emerald eyes, dark brown hair and a smile that set his eyes dancing and Phobos looked like his mother with sandy brown hair, sky blue eyes and a gentle smile. Their mother had been my best friend and the only other female in the pack. Their father was a rouge wolf who stayed in the forest for a few years. Their mother died while bringing them into this world. That broke their father and he soon followed their mother into the awaiting arms of the goddess.

“Deimos and Phobos let’s get ready to go into town.” I told them getting up from the couch and holding out my hands to them.

They got up from the floor and took my hands. I lead them upstairs where I handed them their forest camo jackets while also grabbing mine. We headed downstairs and out back to the garage that housed my two motorcycles both Honda Shadow 750 and also held my father’s 1987 Jeep YJ better known as the Jeep Wrangler which is the vehicle I was after. Driving down the dirt roads into town wasn’t all that comfy but decent thanks to driving a Jeep. There were no paved roads in this area, the town was small with a population of only about 200, the type of town where everyone knew just about everyone and all the businesses where mom and pop owned. Thirty minutes later the boys and I were pulling up to the only grocery store in town. Everyone in town thought we were vegetarians since we never bought meat. Vegetarian wolves now that was a laugh. The shopping trip went without any problems that is until we were waiting in the checkout line, that is when I caught a familiar and yet unfamiliar scent. It was familiar because it was the scent I caught yesterday when we were running and unfamiliar for I still didn’t know who it belong to. I could feel my nails lengthen a snarl on my lips and the territorial instinct to turn around rip the others throat out. I would have acted on it if it wasn’t for Deimos tugging on my hand at the right moment.

“Mama it’s our turn.” He said drawing my attention away from the intruder and back to the matter at hand. I looked down at him the snarl turned into a smile and my nails returned to normal length. The instinct was still there and it took everything I had to control it.  

“Nyx? Is it really you?” Asked the cashier as I walked up with the boys to pay for our groceries.

“Hello Mrs. Murphy.” I said smiling. Mrs. Murphy the owner of the store along with her husband have been running this place for as long as I could remember. Giving the boys some quarters I sent them off to play on the mechanical horses. The further away they were from the intruder the easier it was to control the violent instinct. Mrs. Murphy and I made small talk as she checked me out. The sooner I got out of here the safer it would be for everyone. Some minutes later I paid and was getting out of there as quickly as I could without looking suspicious.

Making it back to the cabin without having following through on more violent instincts was the highlight of the entire trip. I was bringing in the last of the groceries when I noticed the smell of snow on the air, looks like there will be snow on the ground before tonight. The boys where eating their lunch quietly at the table while I put away the food and got things ready for when the hunting groups came home. I didn’t hear the guys get back until Drusus came stomping into the house to get me. Moose and Caribou where the biggest kills and the most common with a few hares mixed in the bunch. The guys would spend the rest of the day skinning and preparing the meat. Once the hides where removed I would gather them up and start the tanning process to make buckskins. The afternoon went by quickly with all the work that had to be done. The boys helped me in preparing the solutions for the wet scrap that the hides would be going through in the next few days.

All too soon I was tucking the boys into bed and getting ready for the meeting. The boys where so tired from the day’s work that their eyelids closed long before they hit their pillows. I tucked them in and kissed them both goodnights. Grabbing some socks and my black combat boots I turned out the lights, closed the door half way and headed downstairs to meet up with Sorin and Drusus. There they were at the landing of the stairs waiting to head out the door. Once I reached the landing I sat down on the last step to put my boots on.

“Come on Nyx hurry it up. We’re going to be late for the meeting.” Drusus complained at me as I put on my boots.

“We aren’t going to be late Drusus.” I growled at him as I got up from the stair and headed to living room. “The boys are asleep and you shouldn’t have any problems with them Jasper.” I said to Jasper who was the baby-sitter when I wasn’t at home.

“Alright, have fun at the meeting.” He said before turning back to the movie that they were all watching. I rolled my eyes and heading back towards the door where I’d left Sorin and Drusus waiting.

“Come on, we don’t want to be late.” I said grabbing my camo jacket off the banister with a smirk.

Once outside the night air was cold as snow fell from the thick clouds overhead. The snow drifted on the breeze that chilled the night further. Wrapping my jacket tighter around me I followed Sorin and Drusus off the porch and out into the night. Leaving prints in the lightly snow covered ground we made our way towards Attila’s cabin. As we got closer I could smell that us three and the Valko members where the last to get there. We however weren't late despite all the complaints from Drusus the entire way claiming that we would be late.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

802K 34.2K 54
**In the process of being edited** Some wolves are born rogues but still maintain their human side while others are made into rogues, they lose all h...
252 13 19
โ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™กโ™ก Nyomi is a wolf from the Black Moon Pack. On her 8th birthday is when she got her wolf. On the same day, her mother disappeared...
4.6K 515 79
~Third and Final Book~ Incomplete, unedited. Goddess Warriors were created by the Moon Goddess to keep peace. Instead, they were hunted for their gif...