A Royal Ransom

By IceCat21456

It's the year 2153. The world has fallen into a state of monarchy. Every country has a king and queen. And e... More

Author's Note
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
Thank You + More Books
COVER DESIGN CONTEST
AVAILABLE NOW!

XV

396 46 21
By IceCat21456

And I wonder if I'm dead, saw the white light flicker so I wake up in a sweat
Code red, sirens going off 'bout something that I dreamt, 
Thinking 'bout the shit I never told you that I meant
I can't shake it off, chloroform, peace and rest 

-Sweet Little Lies, bülow 

"Get your hands off of me!" I snapped, shrugging Francis' hands off of my shoulders.

He sighed, stepping away. "Calm down. You just need to trust me."

A bunch of guards had cornered me, preventing me from escaping and allowing Francis to catch up.

"How can I possibly trust you?" I exclaimed. "You set the woods on fire! Left that message!"

"Diana!"

I snapped my gaze to find my father entering the room.

"Father." I acknowledged, gritting my teeth and trying my best not to send him a glare.

"We seem to have an audience, let's take this to your room." My father suggested.

I looked behind me, forgetting that we had a mass of people in the hall. It wasn't my fault they turned on the lights and stopped the music.

"What are all you looking at?" I snapped at them. "Get back to the stupid masquerade."

"Diana." My father scolded. "Let's go."

I brushed past him, heading out of the hall. I allowed my feet to carry me to my room, although my heart wanted to stay in the hall and help Ryder get out before he got caught.

Soon enough, we were in my room. By we I meant Francis, a guard, my father and unfortunately myself. 

I took a seat on my bed, trying to get comfortable. The feel of the silk quilt called for me to just drop everything and sleep.

"Please take that ratchet thing off," My father asked, staring at the mask on my face.

I grumbled before pulling the mask off, standing up and chucking it onto my bed.

Before I could protest, my father pulled me in for a hug, muttering into my hair, "I've been so worried about you. You must know—"

"--Oh, Diana, daring! I'm so glad you're okay."

I pulled away from my father and headed towards my mother, offering her an embrace. She seemed surprised but slowly returned the gesture.

"Mom, you need to tell Dad--"

Before I could speak a knock sounded against my opened door.

We all turned to find two guards. Edward, and behind him stood a younger one.

"Look who we found roaming through the cells."

Edward stepped to the side, so did the other guard. We were greeted with Ryder. He was cuffed, his head hung low. He lifted it, shifting his eyes to meet my gaze. He sent me a small smile. I returned the gesture and examined his face, noticing that his left eye was starting to swell. Someone had punched him.

"What the hell did you do to him?" I asked, stepping towards Ryder, placing my fingers on his cheek, examining his eye at a closer proximity.

Ryder didn't step away, just staring down at my hands.

"Diana. Step away from him," My mother warned from behind me.

I threw her a look. I knew it was just an act in front of my father, but could she not sympathize for Ryder in this moment? 

I casually threw my arms around Ryder, pulling him in for an embrace.

"Did you see, John?" I asked.

He didn't reply.

"Are you okay?" I whispered to him.

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. I look better than you, don't I, Princess?" He muttered back.

I pulled away and threw him a playful glare. 

Even upon capture, Ryder managed to maintain his insufferable humour. It was a good sign.

"Diana, step away from him. It's so disrespectful, especially considering your fiancee is here." My father scolded from behind.

I turned around, blocking Ryder from my parents and Francis. "Let him go. He's innocent."

"Take him back where you found him. Lock him up." My father ordered. I snapped my gaze to his, his face was blank of any emotion.

I protested as Edward pulled me away from Ryder and the younger guard placed a hand on Ryder's shoulder.

"No!" I turned to my mother. "Mum! You know he's innocent, we can't let him pay for something he didn't do! Tell Dad what you know!"

My father sent my mother a questioning look, daring her to argue. My mother said nothing, pursing her lips. 

Ryder clenched his jaw, not daring to show any sign of emotion. That didn't mean I would do the same.

"I know why you're doing this!" I burst, turning to my father. "You just can't admit you're in the wro--"

"Diana. This isn't up for discussion." My father nodded at the guard holding Ryder. "Do as I asked."

"Ryder, I'll get you out! I promise. This isn't over." I called.

I watched as Edward and the other guard led Ryder away from my room, struggling to keep him at bay as he thrashed in their grips.

My father pushed my door shut, leaving five of us in our room.

"I hate you!" I screamed, stomping across my room. "You know that he's innocent! I heard you that night! How can you live with yourself knowing you're going to kill someone innocent! His blood will be on your hands."

"Everything I'm doing is for your best," My father replied, raising a hand to silence me. "Your rehearsal dinner is tomorrow, you need to get some sleep. And please. Forget about that boy, you have Francis and that's all you need."

Francis? My Wedding? If my father thought I cared about those things at that moment, he really didn't know me. All I could see was red. I gritted my teeth before lunging at my father.

Before I could cause any harm, my father's body guard pulled me away, pushing me towards Francis. I was quick to step away, returning to my bed.

I prepared myself for some major scolding but instead, heard my father sigh before he and his guard left the room.

Then it was just me, my mother and Francis.

I placed my head into my hands in frustration, not wanting to deal with anyone.

I felt my bed dip beside me. I glanced up, it was Francis. "Diana—"

"—Save it." I snapped. "You've done quite enough, don't you think?"

Francis nodded in defeat, "We'll talk tomorrow." He stood up, taking his leave. Not before planting a kiss to my forehead and wishing me a goodnight.

I watched as he left my room. I immediately stood up to shut the door behind him and then turned to my mother.

And then there were two.

"We've got to do something! Ryder doesn't deserve this!"

My mother sent me an apologetic look. "I know honey, but it's too late now. You don't even have any of the witness' signatures, do you? I heard that last lady's home was bombed."

"It was bombed?" I asked in a whisper.

"Yeah, your father somehow found out about your mission and tried to sabotage every stop. Did you not go there?" My mother questioned back.

"No, of course I did!" I lied. "I guess it must've been bombed after we left."

"Did you get a signature then?" 

"No..." 

She sent me a doubtful look. Clearly my lying skills were not the best. 

"We lost it in this rainstorm on the way back," I shrugged, blurting the first idea that came to my mind.

"So you followed the file completely?" 

I was about to blurt another lie when she cut me off. "You know what, it doesn't even matter, I guess." My mother shrugged. "As I said, it's too late now."

"It's not too late! You need to stand up to Father!" I protested.

My mother stepped towards me, reaching out a hand to feel my hair. "I always loved your hair, hope it grows back quickly."

I pushed her hand away in annoyance, "You're not answering me!"

"Diana. Just forget about it. It's not the first time someone's been wrongly convicted. We can't change your father's plans."

"But we can--"

"--Diana. Your father's right. You need to focus on the wedding, there's so much to plan. Not to mention your sisters have been missing you."

"To hell with it all! You can't just feed me the idea of helping Ryder and give up when it gets bad! I almost had hope that you'd stop being such a push-over! Stop giving in to Dad!" 

"Enough. I will not argue with you." My mother scowled, turning on her heel and leaving my room.

And then there was one.

"I need to do something." I whispered to myself as I shut my door and locked it.

I paced around my room, running my fingers through my hair. I then remembered that I had my gun strapped to my leg. I threw a glance at my door before reaching for my gun. I shifted it back and forth between my hands, wondering where to put it and why my mother had wanted me to have it.

I settled on just tucking the gun under my pillow. I didn't need to defend myself anymore, not in the castle.

Although my body begged for sleep, my wandering mind refused. I sighed, leaning against the wall beside my bed leafing through several possible ideas to help Ryder escape. Almost all of the plans ended in Ryder and I driving off into the sunset and never returning back to the Godforsaken place I grew up considering home. It wasn't. Home was were you felt at peace, surrounded by those you trusted and loved.

I sunk down against the wall until I was sitting, leaning my head back. 

Suddenly, I felt a humming sensation against my back, forcing me to jump away in surprise. Without warning, the bricks of the wall beside my bed turned and shifted until a darkened corridor was revealed.

What the hell?

Another passageway...

How I hadn't stumbled upon all these secret passageways as a child blew my mind. 

I grabbed a flashlight from one of my drawers, and cautiously took a step into the passageway. I lifted the dress I'd borrowed from Dahlia, and began my journey into the corridor.

With nothing but the sound of my bare feet against the tiles to keep my company, I trudge on. I continued walking until I found myself at a sort of fork. I had the choice of going left or right. through instinct, I took the path on the right. I'd have to remember to turn left on the way back.

I kept walking until the passageway began to lose its dimness. 

Before I knew it, the passageway came to an opening. I peered beyond the opening, surprised to find myself staring at a row of bars a small distance away.

Was I in the cells?

A balled figure in one corner answered my question.

The figure lifted their head to glance at me. Immediately I recognized the dark hair and bright  eyes.

"John?" I called under my breath.

He quickly sat up, squinting his eyes at me. "Who are you?"

"It's me, Diana." I whispered, taking a seat beside him. 

He examined my appearance. "Is that Dahlia's? You look a bit different..."

I shrugged, "I dyed my hair."

"Ah, like Ryder."

 I raised my brows, "So he did find you?"

John sighed, "I almost didn't recognize him. He told me you'd both come to bust me out. But before we could start talking about anything important, the guards found him. Did you see him afterwards?"

"He was sent back down here to be locked up, about an hour ago. How long have you been here?"

"I don't know how many days, but it was two days after you guys left."

So he'd been here for about four days.

"That's awful!" I exclaimed, "I have to help you out of here."

"No, you can't, not right now. If you do, they'll know something is up and immediately pin it on Ryder. I can't let my boy suffer for my decisions any longer."

"John, I must ask you something before I leave."

"Anything, my dear."

"Is Ryder really your son?"

John paused, sending me a calculating look, appearing to be processing his answer. "How did you find out?"

"So he isn't! Oh my God! That means he's Chase--"

John clamped a hand to my mouth. "There are people here who listen and spill secrets to the guards. We must be careful."

"Why didn't you tell us before we left?" I whispered.

John tugged at his hair, "I didn't exactly trust you at the time."

I nodded in understanding, "What about Ryder? He deserved to know."

"I...I didn't know how or when to tell him. But I'm guessing he knows now."

I nodded. "He does, we found out through this crazy lady--"

A light flicked on in the distance, halting my words and drawing my gaze to its source. Footsteps began to approach at a moderate pace. I examined the shadow that appeared. It was a Royal guard.

"I've got to go!" I whisper-yelled, inching towards the opening of the passageway.

"Diana." John called. "Because you now know the truth, you know that there's a much greater reason to fight for his innocence. Don't let my mistake of keeping him a secret be repeated. The world deservers to know."

I sent him a curt nod before scurrying out the corridor I'd came through. As I stepped further into the darkened hall, I heard the bricks turning and shifting back into place, sealing the entrance to John's cell. 

I followed the passageway back to my room, quickly stripping out of Dahlia's dress and slipping on some pyjamas. 

As I lay in bed, I couldn't help but replay John's words in my mind.

There were so many reasons I needed to help Ryder. Firstly, he wasn't the criminal. He was being framed by my father, to hide his true identity, the true heir to the throne. It wasn't just about finding closure with Ronan's death, it was about righting a wrong and giving power to the person who truly possessed it. I had to stand against my father and I supposed my mother as well as she seemed to have returned to her usual push-over ways.

I had ten days to do something.

I abruptly sat up in my bed.

I knew exactly where to start.

My rehearsal dinner.

Hey lovesss. 

So this was more of a filler chapter lmao!

Make sure to VOTE for more consistent uploads :P

Cya with the next chapter!

xx IceCat

QOTC: Ship name for Diana and Ryder? If they actually end up together...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 1.4K 56
Eleanor had it all. She came from a powerful family, held money, a title. Now she has lost it to no fault of hers. It seemed she couldn't lose anythi...
23.9K 1K 20
Rachel Berry was a poor girl living In a ratty old village. Her only trustworthy companions are Quinn Fabray and Santana Lopez. She's known as the t...
229K 6.9K 35
WARNING: Read at your own risk. This book is temporarily under reconstruction due to highly grammatical errors and misspelled words. -------------- ...
10.3M 345K 33
"What the hell?! Kennedy!" I watch as Ryder turns around furiously and strides towards me. Oh oh. Maybe I took it too far... "What'...