Forever Ruined

By Ruechari

Benjamin McAllister is the Queen's Man working in secret for King and Crown. It riddled his past with intrigu... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter - Twenty four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty- Six
Chapter Twenty- Seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty -Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-seven
Chapter Fifty-eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-two
Chapter Sixty-three
Chapter 64
Chapter Sixty-five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-eight
Chapter Sixty-nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-one
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Five

1.7K 172 25
By Ruechari

Lord Fitton hired a carriage to take the three of them to Fort Kochi. The horses clopped a steady rhythm across the cobblestone street. Clara watched from the window with amazement as she took in all the influences that shaped this city.

The colorful buildings of the Portuguese, the Dutch sloped clay-tiled roofs, to the now Colonial Georgian style of architecture that reminded her of home. It all melded together to create a truly magical space.

Shops lined the streets and alleys, selling everything a person could possibly want or need. Shoes, clothes, books, furniture, oils. The very air was permeated with pepper or black gold as it is referred to here. From the spice warehouses and markets, the exotic fragrances of the finest ginger, cloves, cardamom, and curry wafted to her in waves carried on the breeze.

Lord Fitton had the carriage make several stops. Now he pulled her into a dress shop. Clara knew this was a defining moment, from this point on she'd be known as Lady Fitton, Benjamin Claremont would be no more.

Clara's eyes feasted upon the most beautiful saris, the colors, the embroidery, the fabric. Each one an individual work of art. She was in love. However, Lord Fitton advised her not to purchase such a garment as the local men and women would find it offensive if she wore it. Though she respected their point of view, she was sorely disappointed.

They were able to find a few simple frocks for traveling and daywear. Since they were off the rack some would need a few alterations but Clara assured Lord Fitton she did not mind. She was quite a capable seamstress.

The dressmaker was quite scandalized to learn Clara was a woman dressed as a man but when Lord Fitton explained that his wife traveled this way by his side as his assistant to keep her virtue safe should they ever be boarded at sea, the woman nodded at the sense of his words.

"I wish I could have something made for you, Clara. Something in blue, it would think to bring out your eyes." Lord Fitton said.

Clara just smiled awkwardly at the notion, before taking a dress to the backroom to change. She came out wearing a simple cotton muslin dress, decorated with metallic thread, with a cotton chemise underneath. The empire waist fit perfectly under her breasts, which were now no longer bound, and from this point the fabric flared out in a light and loose-fitting manner.

Clara shyly did a turn for Lord Fitton who seemed suddenly stunned by her appearance. "Do I look alright?" she asked thinking it odd that she felt almost out of place in these clothes having not worn them for eight months.

Sturgis fidgeted frustrated that he could not see her and when Lord Fitton did not answer Sturgis struck him in the arm, knowing that Lord Fitton stood next to him.

"You are a vision," Lord Fitton suddenly exclaimed and motioned for her to take a seat. He pulled out a box and flipped over the lid to reveal a beautiful pair of leather slippers with a short flared heel and pointed toe.

He gently took her foot and slipped it into the shoe. It was a perfect fit. Clara laughed. "I feel a bit like the Cinder girl from the fairytales."

Lord Fitton smiled, happy she was pleased with his purchase. "You are most definitely our princess," Lord Fitton said looking over to Sturgis who was just quietly standing by with the packages. Each one filled with a new treasure.

Clara stood and walked over to the looking glass and frowned at her appearance.

"What's wrong?" Lord Fitton asked.

Clara ran her fingers through her shortened hair. She tried growing it out slightly in the last few months but still the length was quite short and although it suited Claremont perfectly, it's style looked very much out of place as she took in her appearance, now.

Lord Fitton placed his hands on her shoulders and gazed into the mirror with her. "You are still a beauty, Clara. It will grow."

"Perhaps a wig... or bonnet... or" the dressmaker gasped clapping her hands together. "I know just the thing. She pulled out the most glorious silk scarf, Clara dared not touch it, it was so beautiful.

"You may not get your sari, Lady Fitton but this... this is the next best thing," the woman said and fashioned the scarf to perfectly cover her hair. This woman was indeed a master saleswoman. Picking a scarf of the palest blue, wrapped around Clara's features made her eyes positively shine.

The dressmaker turned Clara towards Lord Fitton. "Now she is not just a vision, my Lord but a dream as well."

Lord Fitton could not argue with that. "We'll take it."

"Aaron, please. It's beautiful but it's all too much surely..." Clara began to protest, but Lord Fitton silenced her with a finger to her lips.

He liked hearing her call him by his given name. "Clara, please. Indulge me."

Clara just nodded in acceptance. She would need to purchase her own trunk at this rate. Three dresses, two silk scarves, one bonnet, two pairs of shoes, several stockings and undergarments. She had forgotten how cumbersome it was to be a woman.

Once they had the packages and a new trunk to store them in, they set off to the inn, or at least that's where Clara thought they were headed. The carriage stopped however nearly at the center of town at a hotel. It looked newly built.

"Is this where you normally stay when in India?" Clara asked as Lord Fitton took her hand and helped her out of the coach.

"No," he answered pausing a moment to instruct the men who came out to greet them, to please take in their luggage.

"Commander Redgrave recommended we stay here," he said as he watched her guide Sturgis from the coach, her arm now linked in his.

The hotel was as charming on the inside as it was on the outside the high ceilings, the column arched doorways and quaint furnishings made the place feel homey.

The owner of the establishment smiled at the newcomers. "How may I be of service?"

"I am Lord Aaron Fitton," Lord Fitton supplied, "and this lovely creature is my wife Lady Clara Fitton and my son Thomas. We are in need of a room."

"How long will you be staying in Fort Kochi?"

"Just for this evening. We've come to seek out your Ayurveda Center for my son."

It was then the man noticed the boy was blind. "Of course, Lord Fitton. We are honored to have you at our establishment. Just one room for the family?"

"That would do nicely, thank you!" Lord Fitton leaned in and said something to the man Clara could not hear. The man smiled, nodded, and handed Lord Fitton a key.

"We will bring your luggage up to you and we have a kitchen on the premises if you are in need of refreshment."

"Again, thank you. We shall come back once we have settled in."

"Of course, Lord Fitton."

They ascended the staircase to the room. Lord Fitton led the way while Clara helped Sturgis negotiate his new surroundings.

In the room, there were two beds, a small desk, a wardrobe, a plush chair, and a balcony. It was the balcony that drew Clara's attention. When she walked over to it she instantly understood why Redgrave had recommended this place as it has the most spectacular view of the Chinese Fishing Nets and he was correct they were even more amazing at sunset.

"Phineas told me to come here, about your interest in those nets before he said goodbye. He told me to ask for a room with this view," Lord Fitton said joining her on the balcony.

Clara smiled sadly.

"Are you unwell?" Lord Fitton asked misinterpreting her features.

"Just a tad melancholy. It will pass."

She took in a deep breath and was pleased she could still feel and smell the sea air.

She pulled out her new reticule and held out to Lord Fitton a piece of jewelry. He looked at her strangely, "What is this?"

"To pay for the items we have purchased today," Clara said, "I would give you money but I'm uncertain if even my wages over these eight months could cover such extravagance."

Lord Fitton pushed the affronting object back towards her, refusing to take it from her hand. "Clara I will not..." Lord Fitton features became set in granite. "How could you possibly think I would take that from you?"

Clara was surprised she had angered him. "Aaron please, I owe you so much already. Please, I cannot afford to be indebted to you further. The necklace is mine, but the money it will fetch belongs to you."

"You insult me, Madame in every way. I swore to look out for you, and I have. Those items purchased were not extravagances but necessities. And to have a woman pay me for the clothes on her back would be beyond reprehensible."

Clara pulled off the silk scarf and held it out to him. "Necessities?" she questioned with a raised brow.

"It is a gift," he told her standing firm, in his position. "And this," he took the necklace from her, does not belong to me, but..." he circled behind her and reached over her head and placed the bauble around her neck, "right here, around your neck."

Clara's fingers came up to touch the necklace. She did not imagine she would have reason to wear it's like ever again. "Aaron..."

Lord Fitton turned her around and smiled. "I understand, Clara. As much as I enjoy hearing you say my given name and pretending we are man and wife. We are not and to accept such gifts from another man seems wrong. I, however, would hope your husband the sort of man that would respect the care I have given you, knowing it does not come from some sordid self-purpose but out of the great esteem and admiration I hold for his wife.

You have given me something, Clara I never expected to experience. A family. I knew it was never my lot in life, but our little game of pretend has given me a glimpse and I rather enjoy the thought of it." He saw her face change to pity and he could not bear it. "I know it can not last, Clara. I'm not a fool, but allow me these small indulgences will you?"

Clara simply nodded her consent too emotional to speak at the moment. "I'll leave you to enjoy your sunset, and then perhaps you will meet Sturgis and I for dinner?"

"Yes," Clara said, grateful he understood she needed a moment alone.

Lord Fitton went back into the room and collected Sturgis who was much enthused by the thought of food.

She heard the door close behind them as she continued to look out upon the sea. She thought about what Lord Fitton said and had to agree, it was nice to play out being a family. Something she too believed was not her lot in life to experience.

She toyed with the necklace about her neck and her thoughts drifted to the man that gave it to her. "Oh Benjamin, I miss you so much. I don't know if I will ever make my way back to you, but I hope you know how much I love you."

She wondered what he might be doing at this very moment. Little did she know he was closing in, and the distance she felt between them was getting smaller with each passing moment.

Tomorrow she will reach her destination. She will discover if she can become whole again. She will determine if she and Benjamin truly stand a chance in this world as a couple. If she can be healed and be given the possibility of a family with him.

"If he'll even take me back?" Clara said to the sea worrying, wondering if Benjamin would decide to be done with her. She knew he must be livid with her running away to a place he cannot follow.

"All thoughts for another day," Clara said as she left the room to join her pretend family for some dinner. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.9K 2K 55
𝑨𝒏 𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓 π’˜π’‰π’ π’‡π’Šπ’π’…π’” 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 π’Šπ’ 𝒉𝒆𝒓 π’π’˜π’ π’„π’“π’†π’‚π’•π’Šπ’π’. π˜™π˜¦π˜―π˜¦π˜¦, 𝘒 𝘡𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘡𝘺-𝘧π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘒𝘳 𝘰𝘭π˜₯ 𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧...
28.9K 1.6K 11
(COMPLETED) Before the Duke of Wardington, before marriage, and before the games of marrying off his three sons and their friends, there was simply L...
9K 524 19
Scandal has followed Lady Clara Eaton's family since her birth, and she has grown to thrive in the spotlight, as all of London has watched her grow i...
13.8K 219 7
I'm not good with descriptions so just read the story. Thank you.