Aries

By firedance_icesong

[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her bes... More

Author's Note and Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 27.4
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.1
Chapter 32
Chapter 32.1
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Stolen page - 1
Aries' POV: before meeting her
Aries POV: Lyra
Aries POV: the flame that does not die
Aries POV: an act of cowardice
Aries POV: first kiss
Aries POV: ripped apart
Character Review
Next in series

Chapter 27.2

46.2K 2.1K 213
By firedance_icesong

A/N: I am so overwhelmed by the support you guys gave me!

And I have come to the conclusion that I will have my original version with the scene where Lyra and Aurelia interact. Lyra and Aries will meet in chapter 10.

That rewritten version is will be taken down in two days.

Also, I got a ko-fi account. I know that it is too soon, but if anyone is generous, you are welcome to but me a 'kofi'. Link in my bio.

As for this chapter... It is pure fluff. No blood, no gore, no pain. Pure fluff or that's what I aimed for. 

(This might be a rare chapter with no pain)

That being said, let's get on with it.

Who likes Cain?

*shamelessly raised hand*

I mean, I find it a bit easier to write his pov.

******

Carter Black frowned and then cleared his throat. "That's... a lot to take in, son."

Cain sighed. "I know, dad."

His father leaned on the desk. "Can... you show me the mark?"

Cain nodded and looked at the door again. It was midnight and the door to the Beta's study was locked. Not like anyone would barge in though.

He opened the first four buttons of his shirt and showed his father the mark. The mark which made him Luna's Hunter.

Carter Black gasped. "That's a mark alright."

Cain sighed and did his shirt. "Now can you understand why the bond between me and Aurelia broke?"

The Beta of the West Pack leant back on his chair. "Aurelia was never your mate, to begin with?"

Cain shook his head. "No."

Carter nodded. "It must be hard."

Cain gulped. "I loved her."

His father gave him a sharp look. "You still do."

Cain lowered his head. "Can love be forgotten over a period of a week, dad?"

Carter rose from his seat and came and stood next to him. "It cannot be. I never wanted anyone of my children to go through this. Any of this. I just wanted you both to have what your mother and I have."

Cain snorted. "What mom and you have? Thanks, dad, but I will pass. I half the time don't know if you love each other or hate each other."

His father smirked. "Whatever happens at the end of the day we belong to each other. Well, it's your mother's ability to challenge me is the one that has kept my head on my neck. Had she been a compliant female, I would have challenged stupid things and gotten myself in trouble. She is not just my mate, son, she is my sanity."

Cain laughed and got up. "That is one way of putting things, dad. I really pity mom for living with us. Amaris knows how much we drive her crazy."

His father hugged him. Unable to hold himself back, Cain hugged him back and allowed a tear to escape its confines.

Carter released him. "If your mother came to know about this, I am pretty sure she would understand. I hope she returns soon."

Cain nodded and cleared his throat. "If that is all-"

That was when they heard a loud screech and the secret door that led to the Beta's study opened. No one knew the existence of this passage save for the Alpha and Beta. Cain knew it because he was to be the next Beta.

From behind the door, a female stumbled out. How was she there? He could not even scent her. The blasted scandal door must her hidden her scent.

The first thing Cain noticed was her brown hair. How could it be so long? The braid literally reached her waist. He could only imagine how long it would be if her hair was free.

When she stumbled a little, he rushed and caught her. For a wolf, she was pretty clumsy. Her balance was off.

She turned and her luscious green eyes caught him. He simply gazed at her eyes and held his breath.

Damn! Even Aurelia's gaze could not hold him this strong.

He sniffed her and her scent was addicting enough. Coffee and vellichor. For a bookworm, this scent was aphrodisiac.

Before he could make a fool out of himself, his father called. "Livvia! What are you doing here?"

That shattered whatever that was between them.

She moved from his embrace. "Beta Black! I am sorry!"

Cain gave her an amused look. "Who are you?"

Carter cleared his throat. "She is Gamma Lyanne's daughter. The new family who was appointed as the Gamma by Alpha Violet."

She gave him a sheepish smile. "You must be Cain Black?"

He nodded. "I am."

She bit her lip. "I am so sorry."

Carter narrowed his eyes at the female. "You are not, are you?"

She grimaced. "I... did not want to eavesdrop."

Cain raised his eyebrows. "Then?"

She looked around and then she sighed. "Little Ethan told me about secret passages and I was curious. I was simply... discovering."

Ethan? He resisted the urge to snort. That pup was merely fifteen but thought he ruled the world. Cain prayed that he would get better as he grew up.

But Cain was surprised when his father was not angry. Intruding a Beta's privacy was not a light thing. Why was his father letting her go?

"Discovering?" Cain asked.

She nodded fervently, her green eyes filled with fear and excitement. "I didn't mean to intrude. I am sorry."

Carter cleared his throat. "How much did you hear?"

Livvia glanced at both of them before signing, "When Beta Cain began speaking about Luna being captured."

Cain resisted the urge to groan. This female had listened right from the beginning!

Strangely enough, he never had the urge to shout at her or even get angry. But yes, he was tempted to punish her and he was sure that at that moment, his definition of punishing and his father's would be utterly different.

He reigned his mind from those wandering thoughts of spanking her and have her on the edge.

By the Moon! He was out of a relationship just eight days ago! How could he think of her this way?

Carter narrowed his eyes. "You can never stop snooping, can you?"

Livvia groaned. "But Beta!"

His ears heard that groan and his body responded to that. Had he been a lesser male, he would have to explain to his father about the scent of arousal.

"Cain," his father called, snapping him from his dangerous thoughts. "Since she intruded your privacy, you can choose whatever punishment you deem her fit."

His wolf roared at that idea. That carnal part of him was pleased by this punishment. 

"But Beta!" she protested. "I am the Gamma's daughter!"

Carter glared at her. "You may be, Livvia. But what you did was unacceptable. You can't intrude a Beta's meeting. And what Cain said, he should not have said it to me either. It is such a delicate matter."

Livvia pouted and turned to him as if he would let her go. "Please, Beta."

He schooled his face to a stony expression. If it was his way, he would have chuckled at her pouty face. It was so darn cute.

"Be my slave," he said, smirking. "For as... long as I please."

"No!" She cried. "I won't do anything-"

"Or," Cain pretended to yawn. "Take five whips in the central arena."

He prayed she would not choose the latter. If she did, he did not know what he would do.

While it was true that he was not to say any sliver of information about Luna to anyone apart from his parents and his 'mate', he could not be angry that she knew. Something said she would keep it a secret.

"Whipping?" Livvia protested. "That's unfair!"

"So was listening to our conversation!" Cain snapped. "That was not meant for your ears!"

Livvia opened her mouth and closed it. "I shall carry this secret to my grave, Beta Cain. Even if I was to meet my mate, I would not tell him or her."

He gritted her teeth. Meeting her mate? He had never been so attacked by this foreign emotion of jealousy. He wanted to smack himself.

Of course, she would have a life. A mate. Who was he to stop that?

Livvia looked at both the current and the future Beta. She gave his father a hopeful look that Carter ignored.

She sighed. "I will take up to be your slave. If my mother learns that I was to take whipping in front of the pack, it would reflect badly on her. But can you promise to not tell anyone that I am your slave?"

Cain gave her a long look. She thought of her parents before herself and that whispered something in his ears.

He nodded. He could do that. Oh! All the wicked things he could do to her.

"Fine," Cain drawled. "Meet me tomorrow in the training arena at seven AM."

She nodded and lowered her head. "Can I leave now?"

"Promise me, Livvia," Cain said and he could swear that he saw her shiver. "Promise me that you would never utter a word about this to anyone."

Livvia nodded. "I-i promise, Beta Cain."

Then she hurriedly left the room.

Cain turned to see his father give him an odd look.

Cain frowned. "Why weren't you angry with her?"

"Want to hear the truth?"

Cain nodded.

His father shrugged and sat on his chair. "Technically, you rank above me. Even above Alpha Charles. Your word would be final. Not to mention, we were talking about your secret. If anyone should get angry, it should have been you. I will admit that I was angry when she came in, but when you gave her an amused look, I lost it all."

Cain gaped at her father. "W-what?"

Carter gave him a weird smile. "I believe in Luna, son. Go home and get some sleep. I have cooked some spaghetti and you just need to heat it. Rhaze will try to cook, but it has been getting worse. Don't eat her food if you want to live."

Cain chuckled about his sister's cooking skills and left the quarters where Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Deltas worked.

Many pack members smiled at him. He returned it all. It was no use being a cold-hearted bastard. These people in his pack should trust him if he was going to lead them to war, not follow him out of fear.

He sighed and that was when he smelt that unique scent of coffee and vellichor.

He turned to see Livvia babbling to Reece, who was Mike's mate. Reece looked at him and for a fraction of a second, their eyes met.

She smirked at him and looked at Livvia again.

Why was she smirking? Eager to know that, he paused his steps to hear.

When he heard the words like 'future Beta', 'handsome', 'dreamy' and 'sexy' in one conversation, he left.

He was glad that he was not the only one affected.

As much as he was able to hide his grin from the pack members, he could not hide it from Rhaze who was sprawling on the sofa in their living room.

"Why that smiley face?" she asked.

Cain shrugged and went to heat the spaghetti that his father told him about. His mother could cook, decent enough for them to eat, but his father cooked phenomenal.

Despite that, Carter would always say that Evelyn cooked better and he would scarf down the food his mate made for him.

When he asked his father, Carter smiled and said something about your mate providing.

He wished he had that. The beep from the oven brought him to present and he transferred the contents to a plate and began to eat.

"Cain!" Rhaze said. "Tell me!"

He shook his head. "Nothing much, I met Livvia today." He pointed to his food. "Had dinner?"

"Oh!" Rhaze smiled. "Livvia? As in Gamma Lyanne's daughter? And yes. I had dinner at Sam's."

Cain nodded. "Yes. Her."

Rhaze laughed. "Love her for sure. She is a ball of sunshine on the dark day. A good friend. Did you know that she wants to work in the science sector?"

Cain gave her a bunched eyebrows. "If she wanted, she could work there. Warren always says that they are always in need of young and bright people."

Rhaze shook her head. "Her mother wants her free from any form of commitments. If negotiation is to happen, you know that the Gamma's children are the first to be sent in forceful mateship."

Cain growled. He knew this, but to imagine Livvia mated to someone, did not settle well with him. If a situation was arise to like that, he was sure he would sink his teeth in her neck before Gamma Lyanne could say another word. After all, he was still unmated.

Where were these thoughts coming from?

Rhaze frowned. "What happened?"

Cain shook his head. He finished his meal and washed his plate before going to his room.

As he hit the bed, be knew what punishment would be perfect for her.

*********

Next day, she stood at the entrance of the training ground in pale grey jeans and a peach tops. She had a bag slung over her shoulder and had worn a pair of sneakers.

Her hair that he wondered about yesterday, was thick and layered. She had let it free. With every touch of the breeze, it fluttered, much like his heart when he saw her.

Her green eyes greeted him before her voice could.

"Beta Cain," she addressed. "What do you want me to do?"

After hearing her conversation with Reece about him, he had a variety of options in his mind and he knew she would not hesitate to do them. But he knew that it was not fair on them. He would never have Livvia as a rebound.

"Follow me," he said.

He began walking towards the science sector. Livvia followed him, but he could feel her hesitancy and her excitement together.

He had met Gamma Lyanne twice in his life, after all, she was the head of the third city. Never in his meetings, had he hated her as much as he did now.

He could practically see the shackles around Livvia, the manacles that bound her to her duty to agree to forceful mateship in order for alliance or treaty or whatever fuck it was.

If the children of Gammas were lucky, extremely lucky, they would meet their mate before an arranged mating, or they would find their betrothed as their mate. But more often than not, both parties suffered. Either one would be dominating over the other or abusing the other.

He had seen so many cases in his life that he hated it.

While this was one thing, not allowing her daughter to pursue what she loved was another.

The gates to the science sector opened and Casper gave him a smile as he walked out. Just like the military, scientists worked day and night finding things that made their lives easier.

He entered the building and took the lift. As he pressed the button for the tenth floor, Livvia licked her lips and asked, "What are we going to do here?"

He smirked. "I don't think you have the right to question."

She bit her lip, probably preventing the growl he knew she wanted to let out. And only Moon might know how much he wanted to hear that noise.

When the lift doors opened, he stepped out, Livvia following behind him.

The entire floor was empty save for the soft light that came through the office.

He had said everything Luna had said to him to Warren and Likira. The choice was on the couple. Whatever they chose, it would be the final decision.

If they did not want to take care of the pulsar soul, they would not. No matter how strong the soul would be, it was their choice.

Likira was sitting on a sofa as she watched her mate work something on the computer. Warren was a genius when it came to biocomputation.

Likira gave him a tired smile when he entered the room. But when she saw Livvia she frowned.

"Livvia?" she said. "Why is she here?"

At the sound of his mate's voice, Warren snapped up. Looking at Livvia, he smiled. "How are you?"

Livvia smiled at him. "Great. How are you both?"

Likira shrugged. "What misery do we have? We are great!"

Cain sighed. "She knows."

And as if he dropped a glass, Likira's face froze. "W-what?"

Livvia winced. "It was my fault. I... I was snooping around and I eavesdropped what Beta Cain was speaking to his father."

Warren and Likira stared at each other. The female who started the fashion line with Zahra Lien blinked and said, "Oh!"

Warren offed his computer and he stood up. "So... why did you bring her here?"

Cain gave his friend a look of plea, hoping Livvia would not see that. "What would you say... if I was to ask you to take Livvia under you?"

He was pretty sure Livvia gasped behind him. While Warren frowned and gave him a questioning look, something like a clarity came upon Likira's face.

Why, Cain? Warren asked him through the mind link.

Cain gulped and he was sure that the little action did not go missing by Likira. Cause she owes me one. She is to do what I say until I say otherwise. Punishment for snooping around.

Warren looked like he would pass out. Seriously, Cain? What is wrong with you?

I hope you know, Cain said.

Before Warren could say anything, Likira walked past Cain and reached Livvia.

"My, my!" she commented. "With this hair and that face, you would make an amazing model. Would you like to model for my fashion line?"

Cain bit back a growl. If Livvia was to model, she would... have to expose herself. And he did not know from where he got this thought, but he would never allow anyone, be it a male or a female look at her with lust in their eyes.

Livvia shook her head. "I... I don't like modelling."

Cain relaxed. It was a good thing she did not like it.

"Then what do you like?" Likira asked.

Waves of silence crashed over them like something was pulling them over here. More rustling noise came from below floors and Cain knew that more people to work had arrived.

He heard her gulp. "Science."

Likira's smirk was worse. He wanted to dig a hole and bury himself in it and never come out for another thousand years. That female knew what was going on his mind. She darn well knew it.

Likira gave him a sideways glance and then addressed Livvia. "Science. Don't you think it is a coincidence?"

That was it. He wanted to die. Preferably by falling down, but knowing the shifters' physiology, he knew he would survive the fall.

What others ways was there to die?

Livvia frowned. "Coincidence? Of what?"

Likira waved her hand. "Of you liking science and Cain asking you to work for Warren."

Cain turned to see a faint colour as shy as a lotus at dawn bloom over her cheeks. "I don't know."

Likira wiggled her eyebrows at him. "You have anything to say, Cain?"

He could feel Warren's confusion before he coughed to hide a smile. These two were against him!

"She knows the truth," Cain said, shrugging. "Whatever is your choice, she can help. That's why I brought her here. It is just a good thing that she likes science."

Livvia looked away.

I heard from someone that someone inquired about this female, Likira snickered in his mind.

Damn it, Rhaze!

Why should his sister say this to Likira? Of all females, why Likira?

Rumours, he said.

Likira nodded too seriously. Sometimes, they are true, you know?

Cain resisted the urge to growl. She was playing him.

He turned to his friend. "Will you or you won't?"

Warren shrugged. "If the girl wants to, she can join anytime."

He glanced at Livvia. "So? Will you?"

Livvia nodded enthusiastically. "I'd love to. But my mother..."

Cain snorted. "Say her that you mated with your job. If Gamma Lyanne is bringing you any trouble regarding this, as her to meet me."

Livvia blinked at him. "I am sorry, Beta, but even Alpha Charles Verir would agree if a treaty is to be made, I would have to be mated to-"

This time, he was not able to contain his growl. "Look here, Liv. I rank above your mother, Alpha Verir and even a Noble. Only a Royal can command me if not the four sisters and Moon. Yes, even the Twelve Warriors can do so, but they are nowhere to be found. All these Alphas who think Gammas children must undergo forced mating can go fuck themselves."

Livvia gulped. "I understand, Beta."

"Cain," he said. "Call me Cain."

Livvia nodded. "Cain."

Warren cleared his throat. "If you can tie your hair, Livvia, you can meet Cheryl Meyers, who is on this floor. Say her, Warren sent her and asked her to show you around."

Immediately, Livvia twisted her hair and pinned it into a bun within seconds and walked out. No, she literally hopped and jumped out.

How did she manage to hold that hair with a tiny pin? He saw her take it from her pocket. He blinked. Females would remain a mystery to him.

After Likira was sure that Livvia had left the hearing range, she began to crackle.

She slapped her thighs and nearly fell down laughing. Alarmed, Warren rushed towards his mate.

Likira took a few steps back and sat on the couch. "By Amaris, Cain! I have never seen you like that."

"Neither have I," the Hunter of Luna muttered.

Likira snorted and she finally stopped her laughter. "Oh my! Ain't this too cute?"

Warren gave him a wicked grin. "I must agree, mate. This indeed is."

"Bloody hell," Cain swore.

Likira tisked. "That's unbecoming."

Cain glared at her. "Is it now?"

Warren shook his head chuckling. "I take that your instincts scream at you to be with her?"

Cain was about to protest. Seeing the blank look on his friend's face, he nodded. "Yes."

Likira smiled. "Good thing I trust Luna. She knows what she is doing."

Pride flared in his heart when he heard that. After all, he was her Hunter.

"She is the one who controls love, Cain," Likira said softly. "She knew Aurelia was not the one for you. So, she sent her away. And Liv? I don't know what to think now, but all I know is that Luna would give nothing but the best to her Hunter."

An agreement echoed through the frail bond he had with Luna.

He sighed. "It... I don't know what to feel."

Warren gave him a crooked smile. "This is not a military strategy or a mathematical theorem for you to know. You just need to feel and live in the moment. If you want to date her, take her out. Life is short, I say this because we know not when we would die. Live your best every second."

Cain smiled at his friends. "When did you both turn philosophical?"

Likira shrugged. "A day ago?"

Cain blinked. "Why so?"

Likira and Warren shared a look. Then Warren Whyte said, "Cause we both agree to parent the Pulsar soul. If as Luna claims she is the last chance at reversing the false bonds, we would do it. Not to mention, you say that if this soul is caught by a rogue star, our planet could perish-"

"It's not your obligation!" Cain snapped.

Likira smiled. "It is not. But we would do it. I am to have twins anyway. Luna was right. If I had not known the souls being replaced, I would have never known. I would love both girls as my own. I see no difference."

"You will be chased," Cain said. "Hunted."

Warren held his mate's hand. "We will leave the pack grounds on the last trimester."

"When you need the most help?" Cain asked.

Warren sighed. "We trust the Hunter of Luna we know to take care of us. To take care of this Pulsar soul. Promise Cain, promise me that no matter what happens that you will take care of Lyra."

Cain gulped. "Of that pulsar? If because of her any harm shall befall you, I will be one to slaughter her."

Warren took a deep breath. "She would still be our daughter."

Tears brimmed his eyes. "Lik?"

Likira nodded. "That's our decision. We choose this."

"Warren-"

"No, Cain, " Warren said. "You were one lucky bastard who got out of a false relationship. Yours wasn't toxic. There are so many abusive relationships. So much pain and agony. If we have to keep the love of family and friends from being contaminated, this might be the only way."

Cain sniffed. "I can't bear for anything-"

"Our choice, Cain," Likira said firmly. "Ours."

Cain rubbed his nose. "You are planning to name her Lyra?"

Warren grinned. "Well, for one, you suggested that name. Not to mention, she is a pulsar, a celestial being and you are to take care of her. I see why not."

"Lyra." Cain tested the name.

It was perfect.

A/N: Leave your thoughts below!

I again don't know when I will update again. I have a break after my theory exams and I might update during that break.

~Quill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 89.6K 31
[Completed] Every Wolf Moon, humans are selected from each village to be sacrificed to the werewolves; creatures worshipped by humans as godlike figu...
42 6 6
Can a princess love a pauper? Can a Alpha trust a rouge? Can a werewolf love his mate if she can't reveal her identity? Lyra Wisterian is the eldest...
2.1M 59.6K 36
MATE TRILOGY #1 | Being an orphan at the mere age of sixteen, Lyra Dane, with no place in the pack is faced with an ultimatum; to go Rogue or marry A...
729 197 14
Lycan's were the first beasts created by the moon goddess to protect gods creation; the humans, from Lucifer's creation; the Vampires. Once the dark...