predestined | jace herondale

By concupiscentz

he was my escape from all the insanity that surrounded me; things I thought were only legends. More

intro
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56

14

2.6K 73 15
By concupiscentz

I walked into the Greenhouse with Clary, dressed in black ripped jeans, a black t shirt tucked in, black heeled ankle boots on my feet, a navy blue leather jacket covering my bare arms, my hair loosely curled, ending right where my shoulders ended.

"My sweet girl!" Jocelyn exhales, hugging Clary.

"I never thought I'd see you again." Clary held her, then lets go, looking at me.

I stood there, my arms crossed as I stared at the ground, wanting them to have small talk before I cut it short.

And they did, they spoke about a few things.

Until I cleared my throat, "Clary- could I have a moment alone with Jocelyn?"

"Yeah-" Clary nods, walking over to me, giving me a short hug, "Yeah- of course."

Clary leaves the room, my eyes falling onto Jocelyn.

"You're upset with me." Jocelyn already knew, as she walked over, grabbing my hands, "I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen. All I ever wanted to do was to protect you."

"By- taking my memories?" I question, "Lying to me about my past- lying to me about my parents? Is that what you call protection?"

"Zee." She squeezed my hands lightly in comfort, "You wouldn't understand. The look on your face when- what I thought- what we all thought- was Valentine killing your mother- it broke you."

I roll my eyes, looking away.

She grabs my face, making me look at her, "Honey- I tried to give you time. I tried. But- I couldn't. I couldn't watch you like that anymore-"

"What, so you did it for yourself?" I scoff lightly, "Because you couldn't watch me mourn over my supposedly dead mother?"

"Zee- I swear, I had no intention of hurting you." Jocelyn honestly told me, "I wanted you to be happy- I didn't want you to know about the Shadow World or anything."

"And that included my mother." I swallow, "This is my life, Jocelyn. I had every right to know- about my mother- and the Shadow World. I deserved to know who I really am."

"I know- and I'm so sorry." She apologized again, breathing out.

"Now, that I think about it-" I trail off, "You screwed me over the most. For Clary- yes, you took away her memories about the Shadow World. But- alongside that, for me, you took away my mother."

"I couldn't just stand by and continue watching you break apart, Zee." Jocelyn spoke, "I- was terrified-"

"That's what we all call grief. You lied- about everything, Jocelyn." I stare at her, "I've found out so much since you've been gone- and half of the time- I was risking my life."

"I promise from now on- no more lies." She swore, "I have a feeling you've been through so much to find out about your past- to find out what I haven't told you- but I was scared-"

"Because you married a psychopath-" I confront her, crossing my arms, "Valentine Morgenstern. My father. Clary's father. Jonathan's father."

Jocelyn stops, stepping back, her hands at her sides, "So, you know."

"I want to ask how could you do such a thing-" I sigh, "But- I haven't even asked my own mother."

"Your father, he wasn't always like this." Jocelyn stares at me.

"I have something for you." I clear my throat, grabbing my bag, pulling out the box.

Jocelyn sat down with me, staring at it as I handed it to her, "Where did you get this?"

"Under the floorboards." I told her, "When we were looking for the Cup- I thought about when you used to take this out once a year and cry in your bedroom. I used to think it was about my father, but now I know it's about my brother."

"Jonathan." Jocelyn looks at me, her eyes holding a red tint.

"His name is Jace." I told her, swallowing hard, "He's alive."

Jocelyn stares at me, "That's impossible."

-

"You don't understand, I saw them burn." Jocelyn stammers, holding the box.

"I-" I had no idea what to say.

"Sorry, I just wanted to make sure everything was okay." Luke walks in, looking at Jocelyn and I.

"Luke." Jocelyn got up, "Is it true? Is Jonathan alive?"

"I couldn't believe it either at first." Luke admits.

Simon's voice fills my ears, "Hey, guys."

I looked at him, Clary and my mother with him.

"Mom-" I smile softly, walking over to her, hugging her.

She hugs back, "How are you doing?"

"I'll be okay." I pull away, giving her a soft smile, before looking back at everyone else.

"Simon." Jocelyn looked at Simon, shock written in her features.

"Hey, Mrs. F. Good to see you on your feet again." Simon greets her, "You look great- considering the coma situation."

"What're you doing here?" Jocelyn questioned.

"Um- It's kind of a long story." Simon quietly said.

I came by his side, "A lot happened while you were away."

Clary nods, "Definitely need to catch you up on speed."

"Like what?" Jocelyn reaches to touch Simon's face, a gasp leaving her lips when Simon accidentally reveals his fangs in a smile, his hand slapping over his mouth, "You're a vampire."

My phone buzzes, a text from Isabelle on my goons, "We have to get to the Ops center, right now-"

I quickly walk through the Institute and into the Ops Center, standing by Isabelle, everyone else following me.

"We are at war." Maryse stood in front of the entire Institute, "Valentine now has the Mortal Cup, with which he is, no doubt, raising a new army, and one of our own has joined him."

"Looks like the queen's taking back her kingdom." Isabelle mutters to me.

"Yeah- no kidding." I mutter right back, my eyes glued to Maryse.

"As a result, the Clave has declared a state of emergency at the Institute. Their first priority is to replace the current leadership, who they have deemed wholly ineffectual." Maryse spoke out, "It is an honor to introduce the newly appointed head of the New York Institute, Clave representative, Victor Aldertree."

As Victor stepped up, someone shows up behind Isabelle as I, making me tense up instantly.

"Calm down- just me." Alec's voice filled my ear when leans down to my ear, mumbling, placing a hand on my lower back, calming me, then drops it.

He mumbles to Isabelle, "Did you know about this?"

"No." Isabelle quietly replies, "But- maybe this is why Dad went back to Idris."

Lydia scoffs, "Maryse went behind my back."

"My fellow Shadowhunters." Victor Aldertree spoke, "It's an honor to be here with you all."

"We have to find Jace Wayland." Victor instructs, "He's a Shadowhunter, and we don't leave our people behind."

"The answer to his location may very well lie in this room." Victor spoke, "So, I wanna speak with everyone who went on a mission where Jace disappeared."

"One last thing." He looks at everyone, "Effective immediately, the Institute is on lockdown. But it's only temporary. Let's turn this institute around."

With that, he walks away, everyone parting.

I looked at Isabelle, "Wait, if we're on lockdown, who's out there looking for Jace?"

"We'll think of something." Isabelle assures me.

I sigh, as she grabs my hand, "Don't worry. Jace is tough. Valentine will never break him."

-

"You wanted to see me?" I walk into Aldertree's office, the door closing behind me.

"Yes, Zee." Aldertree gestures, "Take a seat."

I barely nod, walking over, sitting down on the couch, my eyes landing on the camera directed at me.

"Sorry about the camera, like I told your friends when they came in, this is official business, so I have to be official." Aldertree leans against his desk, starting to record, "Now- let's talk about Jace."

"Okay." I nod, folding my hands together loosely, leaning my elbows against my legs.

"You had the impression he was saving your lives by leaving with Valentine?" Aldertree questions.

"It's more than an impression." I correct him, "It's what actually happened. If he had tried anything, the rest of us would have been killed."

"Was he within striking distance of Valentine?" Aldertree questions, "Could he have taken the man out?"

"It was an impossible situation, okay?" I ignore his questions, "Jace tried to warn us. He told us Valentine was on the way."

"So- Jace knew ahead of time that Valentine was setting a trap." Aldertree sat in front of me, "How do you suppose he knew that?"

"I don't know." I play with my hands, "He told us to get out of there. Next thing I knew, I had a seraph blade to my throat."

"Oh." Aldertree writes something down in his notepad, "Got it."

"What- was that worth a write down?" I sat up, frustration pooling in me along with regret about telling him anything, "Look, Jace saved our lives. We have to find him."

Aldertree stares at me, folding his hands, "That's exactly what I'm gonna do."

-

"Are you seriously doing this right now?" Alec's voice fills my ears as I walked through the Institute, "Right now?"

"You know damn well I want to find Jace just as much as you do, but that's no excuse to treat me like-" Magnus began to argue.

Alec's raises his voice, making me stop and look at them, "Well, then, what do you want from me?"

"At the moment-" Magnus' voice was dangerously low, "Nothing-"

Alec opens his mouth to speak, as I rush over, looking between them.

"How cou-" Alec began.

I put a hand on Alec's back, my other hand resting on his bicep, "Alec- let's take a walk."

"Zee- no- not now-" Alec began to protest.

"Yes, Alec, now." I pull him along with me, as he doesn't even try to pull back, just letting me pull him along.

I shot Magnus a sympathetic look, walking away with Alec, "I know you're upset because of Jace-"

"Zee-" He stressfully runs a hand through his hair, not knowing how to put together what he was feeling, "I- I've never- I don't- I-"

The alarm starts to blade, red lights flashing over and over.

"Hold that thought." I pat his arm, running into the Ops Center with him.

"Who sounded the alarm?" Alec questions from beside me.

"What's going on?" I question, my eyes landing on the hologram of Jace that was displayed in the middle, wanted in red written on the body, "Jace-"

"Aldertree said he wanted to rescue Jace." Clary looks between us.

"Actually, Clary, I said I wanted to find him." Aldertree walks over, "And your sister gave me the clue I needed to do just that."

My tone was firm and strict, "I did what?"

"What did you tell him?" Alec looks at me.

"Alec, I-" I began.

Aldertree cuts me off, coming to the center, "Is this everyone? Fantastic."

"First up, all Downworlders are forbidden from entering the Institute without my prior approval." Aldertree started, "For those still present, good day."

Aldertree looks at Luke, "Mr. Graymark."

"I'm not leaving Jocelyn." Luke protests, "Besides, my badge gives access to resources that you don't have. I can help you find Jace."

"That's generous of you, but I'm going to have to insist." Aldertree took charge.

Luke huffs, nodding towards Jocelyn, "Call me when you can."

"You, too- Simon." Aldertree looks at Simon, "Simon, right?"

"It's almost dawn." Simon's arms were crossed, "I don't have anywhere to go."

"Hey, you're a smart guy." Aldertree showed no interest in if Simon got fried up or not, "I'm sure you'll figure something out."

"Simon, come on." Luke gestures towards him.

Simon sighs, following him out of the Institute.

"Now- let's get to it." Aldertree claps, "I've reviewed your statements, along with the reports of your unsanctioned missions. And I can come to no other conclusion that Jace Wayland is a traitor to the Clave."

"Jace is not a traitor." Alec told him right away, staring at him.

"Point of fact." Aldertree points, "Zee said Jace called to warn you about Valentine's trap, which got me thinking Jace had multiple chances to kill Valentine, but chose to let him leave. Now, Valentine, Jace, and the Cup are missing. Do the math."

Remorse fills within me as I stared at him, what I had told him being used against Jace.

"There is no way we're going to help you hunt Jace." Clary exclaims.

"And I'd never ask you to." Aldertree chuckles, "You and your friends are prohibited from any further involvement for the hunt for Jace Wayland."

"What?" Isabelle stares at him.

"The rest of you, back to work." Aldertree orders, "I'm lifting the lockdown on the Institute, except for Clary, Zee and Jocelyn. Given your relationship to Valentine and Jace, I want to keep a close eye on you."

"This is ridiculous." I spoke up, as Aldertree turned and walked past us.

"Zee-" My mother grabs my arm.

"No-" I pull my hand away from her, "Okay, they're going to kill Jace."

I face Jocelyn, "He's your son."

"I know you think you understand this world, but you don't." Jocelyn told me, a warning tone in her voice.

"Really?" I scoff, "And when is someone going to help me understand? Because clearly, I'm the idiot who doesn't understand or doesn't belong because I'm too mundane and don't understand how things work around here."

Aldertree looks at us, raising his voice, "Dismissed!"

-

"Come on, let's do this." Isabelle held her whip, leading me into the training room, one that was new and improved.

"Do what?" I follow her, "You seriously want to train right now?"

She tosses me a staff, as I shot her a look, slipping off my leather jacket, tossing it to the ground, "We have to find Jace before Victor gets him killed."

"Training's important." She turns her whip into a staff, "So, pay attention to what I'm about to show you."

I was hesitant, as we started to spar with the bo staffs, her getting the upper hand on me, knocking me off my feet, her voice louder than usual, "You need to watch your footwork."

My eyes shift towards Aldertree, who was glancing at us.

Isabelle grabs my hand, muttering to me as she helped me up, "Aldertree threatened to de-rune me if I tried to find Jace."

"So, how do we get to him?" I quietly said back to her, grabbing my staff.

"Let's go again." She stepped back, as I blocked her every attempt to get something in on me, "Have you studied The Art of War?"

I grunt, "That was not on the reading list at art school."

"You should learn it." Isabelle grins lightly, "Sun Tzu gives excellent advice."

Her and I grunt, sparing, as she fell onto one knee to dodging a kick I had swung at her head.

I grunt once more, as we paused, "Like what?"

"Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like Fire," She quotes, knocking me off my feet after a few moments, pointing the head of her staff at me, "But, my favorite- to know your enemy, you must become your enemy."

She glances at Aldertree, as I quickly caught on to what she meant.

I use my staff, knocking her off her feet, jumping up to my feet, pointing my staff at her, "I'm a quick study."

Isabelle successfully grins, as I helped her up, walking off, putting my staff away.

-

"Luke!" I call out, jogging out to him, towards the Jade Wolf, "I need your help."

"What, we on a first name basis now?" Luke stares at me, waving me off, "Man, get off my docks."

"Huh?" The sound slips out of my mouth instantly, then I realize I was still in the appearance of Victor Aldertree, "Oh- right, sorry-"

I grabbed out my stele, deactivating the shapeshifting rune, revealing my true form, Luke chuckling lightly, "In order to know my enemy, I had to become my enemy."

"I had to get out of the Institute." I told him honestly, "Aldertree forbid me to leave."

"What's with that guy?" He questions, crossing his arms.

"I took one of Jace's gloves to try and track him, but it's not working." I place my stele back into my pocket, "Can you see if the police know anything?"

"Yeah, I'll contact the Coast Guard- see what they know." Luke nods, "By the way, Simon's in the supply room."

"Simon's here?" I question.

"Yeah." He nods, "I'll let you know what I find."

"Thank you." I smile weakly, before jogging over to the supply room, where Simon was.

-

"I don't know how to do this." I sigh deeply after trying for what felt like the hundredth time, "I don't even know where to start- I can't sense him anywhere."

"You think there'd be some sort of handbook for the Shadow World, like Shadowhunting for Dummies." Simon jokes lightly, crossing his arms.

"That book would be made just for me." I huff, holding Jace's glove.

"Zee!" The door opens, Jocelyn walking in, "Thank God I found you."

"You're joking-" I scoff, stepping back, "Luke told you?"

"Listen-" Jocelyn began, walking over to me.

"I wonder why my own mother isn't here to drag me back to the Institute." I trail off in spite, "Oh yeah- maybe it's because she trusts me. Maybe it's because-"

Jocelyn grabs my arms, "Please you need to listen to me."

"What are you even doing here?" I question, "You're not supposed to leave either."

"I went to Aldertree and asked him to let me bring you back." Jocelyn told me.

"You did what?" I pull away from her touch, "You told him? I'm not going back-"

"I know." She stops me, "I just said that so he would let me out. I want to help you. I'm here for you."

I swallow, all my frustration leaving me, "What?"

"We need to find Jace, right?" Jocelyn said, "Let's find him together."

I step back, "I tried tracking him with the glove, but-

"Let me show you something." Jocelyn reaches her hands out, "Give me your phone and stele."

"My- my phone?" I question, staring at him, "Why would you need my phone?"

Jocelyn pushes, "It'll help, I promise-"

I hesitantly set my phone and stele onto her palms, as she took the glove also.

"Here are some basics of Shadowhunting." She began, turning away from us, only to rush out and lock me in with Simon.

"Jocelyn!" I shout, banging on the door with Simon, "Jocelyn, open the door!"

"First rule of Shadowhunting," Simon huffs, leaning his back against the door, "Don't give anyone your phone or stele."

I shot him a look, "Noted."

-

The sound of the door thudding fills my ears what felt for the thirtieth time, as Simon continued to run into the door.

"Simon, your phone gets no cell service down here." I huff, putting his phone down, "Does the Jade Wolf not have a WiFi connection?"

"That's okay." Simon ran back into the room, "I think I'm making progress."

"Simon, just stop." I huff in defeat, "It's no use- my leg hurts front kicking the door and- the door isn't gonna open no matter how many times you use yourself as a cannonball. We're stuck down here."

Simon sighs, walking over, sitting next to me, then looks at me, with a small smile on his face, "I'm enjoying our together time."

"The together time that consists of us trying to escape the supply room?" I softly laugh, looking forward.

"Any time spent with you is worth it, Zee Young." He smiled at me, chuckling, "Reminds me of 10th grade when Clary was knocked out because of how exhausted she was from SAT's, and we snuck into my mom's liquor cabinet."

I laugh along with him, "That was my first hangover-"

I looked at him, "This is worse."

Simon hums in response, shooting me a look.

"No- it's not." I gave in, him and I laughing.

"It's ridiculous." Simon spoke after calming down, "How crazy our lives have gotten in the last few weeks."

I nod in agreement, recalling everything that's happened.

"You kill demons now- I drink blood now." Simon trails, "And it used to be that- the biggest problem we had was that I was secretly and totally-"

Simon was cut off when the door creaks, completely falling off the hinges.

I jump up, grabbing his phone, handing it to him, "Simon- track Jocelyn with your phone."

"Yeah." Simon clears his throat, typing away on his phone.

"We don't have much time." I hugged him quickly, smiling, "You did it."

Simon chuckles but barely, rushing after me as I ran out, "Yay for me."

-

Simon's phone beeps, as I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, pushing myself harder, trying to beat her wherever she was heading, "Jocelyn's close-"

"Then run faster!" I push, speeding up.

"I'm a vampire." Simon scoffs from next to me, "I'm running slow for you."

"You mean the man you murdered?" I heard Jace's voice, "You mean the man you devoured? That's what you mean."

My eyes landed on Jace, my eyes widening. Valentine stood behind him, a portal opening, a vampire hissing and running into him, Jace inadvertently killing her.

Jace stood frozen, staring at where the woman once was, his eyes wide, breathing heavily.

"Ah, that's my boy." Valentine watched, satisfied.

"Jace!" I shouted his name, trying to slow myself down.

Jace's head snaps towards my voice, his eyes staying wide.

Simon came to a stop a few feet away from Valentine and I, but I didn't. I ran over to Jace, hitting into his chest with a thud, wrapping my arms around him.

"What're you-" Jace's voice was weak, wrapping his arms around me, "Zee-"

Valentine looks at me, "So nice of you to join us, Zee. But, I'm afraid this reunion will have to be cut short-"

The sound of a crossbow cocking into place fills my ears, suspicion crossing my features, Jace looking up, his eyes widening at the sight.

I pull away from him, turning around, my eyes landing on Jocelyn, firing instantly at Jace right when I let go of him.

I gasp, getting in the way, the arrow piercing right through my stomach, a pain filled sensation erupted right where the wound was made.

I swallow, falling backwards, Jace catching me instantly, his eyes wide as ever, his voice breaking, "No-"

He slowly kneeled onto the ground, holding my body, his breathing ragged, his eyes starting to tint red, "No-"

With deep intensity, pain sheeted through my body, my wound aching and oozing out blood.

I pulled out the arrow, throwing it to the side, breathing heavily, trying to sit up without his assistance.

"Where-" Jace dug through my pockets, his hands shaking, "Where- where's your stele-"

"Jonathan, we need to leave now." Valentine orders, awaiting for Jace to join him.

"Give me your stele-" Jace looks at Valentine, tears starting to stream down his cheeks, "Give me your stele!"

Jocelyn fires at Jace once more, another gasp leaving my lips, Jace moving out of the way quickly, not letting go of me, pulling me up along with him.

"Jocelyn, stop!" I shouted in panic, my eyes wide with shock and hurt at what she was doing.

"Run, Jonathan." Valentine grabs onto Jace's arm, "They want you dead."

"No- no-" Jace tried to keep a hold on me, but was pulled away forcefully, "She could die!-"

Valentine pulls him through the portal, the portal disappearing, another arrow Jocelyn had fires falling onto the ground.

My legs gave out due to how much blood I had lost, as I fell, Simon running over to me, catching me, "Zee-"

Jocelyn rushes over to me, grabbing my stele out, "You're going to be okay-"

I held onto Simon, Jocelyn looking for my iratze rune, anger and disbelief building within me with every second.

authors note:

uhhh this was kinda a good ass chapter wtf

also imma publish an alec lightwood book soon sooo, if y'all like alec go read that when it comes out

also, towards the end of this chapter start listening to more by billy lockett, and then listen to it in the beginning of the next chapter :)

mmm thoughts on zace tho?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.6K 1.4K 26
๐‚๐ก๐ฅ๐จ๐ž ๐„๐ฆ๐ฆ๐š ๐…๐ซ๐š๐ฒ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ฅ๐ญ ๐ฎ๐ง๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ ๐›๐ฒ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐‰๐จ๐œ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฒ๐ง ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๏ฟฝ...
18K 533 14
Shadowhunters Season One OC X OC
41.3K 1.7K 26
แด›สœแด‡ ๊œฐแด‡แด‡สŸษชษดษข แด๊œฐ ส™แด‡ษชษดษข แด›แด€ษดษขสŸแด‡แด… แดœแด˜ แดกษชแด›สœ ๊œฑแดแดแด‡แดษดแด‡'๊œฑ ๊œฑแดแดœสŸ สœแด€แด… ษดแด‡แด แด‡ส€ ๊œฐแด‡สŸแด› ส™แด‡แด›แด›แด‡ส€. สŸษชแดขแดขษชแด‡ แด€ษดแด… แด„สŸแด€ส€ส สŸแด๊œฑแด› แด›สœแด‡ แดษดสŸส ๊œฐแด€แดษชสŸส แด›สœแด‡ส สœแด€แด… สŸแด‡๊œฐแด› แด€ษดแด… ษชแด› แดกแด€๊œฑ แด›สœแด‡ษชส€ ส€แด‡๊œฑแด˜แด...