Downplay| Jordan Clarkson & Q...

By hopesashes

downplay- to make something seem less important than it is It's a mechanism really, a defense , no one ever r... More

-
CAST
•o n e•
• t w o •
•three•
•four•
•five•
•six•
•eight•
•nine•
•t e n•
•e l e v e n•
•t w e l v e•
•t h i r t e e n•
•f o u r t e e n•
•f i f t e e n•
•s i x t e e n•
•s e v e n t e e n•
• e i g h t e e n •
•n i n e t e e n•
•t w e n t y•
•t w e n t y o n e•
•t w e n t y t w o•
•t w e n t y t h r e e•
•t w e n t y f o u r •
•t w e n t y f i v e •
•t w e n t y s i x•
•t w e n t y s e v e n •
•t w e n t y e i g h t •
•t w e n t y n i n e •
•t h i r t y•
• t h i r t y o n e •
•t h i r t y t w o•
•t h i r t y t h r e e•
•t h i r t y f o u r•
•t h i r t y f i v e •
•t h i r t y s i x•
•t h i r t y s e v e n•
•t h i r t y e i g h t•
•t h i r t y n i n e•
• f o r t y •
•f o r t y o n e •
•f o r t y t w o •
•f o r t y t h r e e•
•f o r t y f o u r•
• f o r t y f i v e •
•epilogue•

•seven•

590 35 28
By hopesashes

It shouldn't have been so hard.

Staring at Mylin's silhouette, Jordan watched her put their daughter to sleep. He'd just walked through the door with her but as usual car rides did their trick. It was 7 AM. He didn't need to see the wrinkle forming in her forehead to know that she was perturbed.

Mylin was always so easy for him to read. He knew everything about her. Why couldn't it be just as easy to fall back in love with her?

"You want to tell me where you and my daughter slept last night or you going to keep me in the dark?"

She crossed her arms as she levelled off with him. After a night long marathon of Sex and the City sipping hot chocolate and her sorrows , she was convinced that she was putting way more effort into them than he was.

"We were good Mylin. I'd never put Jayden in harms way and you know that."

"That doesn't answer my question Jordan."

"We were at my apartment."

He could tell from her eyes that he'd struck a chord. The confusion that clouded her features was nothing compared to the hurt that followed. With one statement , he'd done that. What would his next one result in?

"Your apartment? This is your apartment Jordan , OUR APARTMENT."

"Mylin chill , J's sleep and you heard me. Look, we haven't been the same for a while now. Where did you think I was all the nights I wasn't here? Is the truth that much worse?"

In it's own way , he could see that in her eyes it was. She recoiled from him before her shoulders slumped.

"How long have you had it?"

"2 months but Mylin , I kept paying for this one because you and my daughter are here. You guys are good , I'll always make sure of that regardless of whatever is going on between us."

She was angry , hurt , sad , all of the above. He could see it in the way she paced , stopping every now and then to say something to him before she thought better of it.

"So while I've been busting my ass to keep us together, you were launching an escape plan. Are you serious Jordan? After everything?"

"I can't help how I feel Mylin, and it's not us anymore."

The words threw her back , she had to take a seat. She couldn't even bring herself to look at him. She'd stuck by his side through cheating scandals, a whole outside child and now he just let her go. She'd never cheated, never lied and she'd put so much of her own dreams on hold for his yet he wanted to leave her still.

"Jordan , please."

Hot tears streamed down her face as she looked up at the man who'd been her first everything. He was going to add heartbreak to the list. He couldn't return her gaze. Raking his hand over his face , he placed a hand on her shoulder before he leant down and kissed her forehead.

He then walked over to their daughter and kissed her forehead as well. Helpless she looked on as he walked into their bedroom. The last thing she expected to come out after five minutes was him with two suitcases. She couldn't believe this.

"I'll be back for Jay in two days. I'm sorry My , I really am."

Opening the front door , he gave her one last glance as her heart broke.

"THAT'S IT?" She yelled at his back , by now her tears were uncontrollable "THAT'S IT JORDAN!?"

As the door shut she felt her breath catch. Mustering all the strength she had left , she wandered into their bedroom and felt her legs get weaker. Staring ahead , she took in the empty side of the closet that was once his.

This was really the end of them.

-

All the white liquor in the world couldn't make her day any better.

Kicking the box of her childhood things her mother had sent her once more, Yara listened to her phone ring and ring. Where the hell was her assistant? She had an event going on in a few hours.

Pocketing the iPhone and toting the box to her room, she threw it in a corner before she looked over her all white outfit. She had to make sure she was spotless. Yara was every bit of beautiful in her figure-hugging tight jumpsuit and gold sparkly Jimmy Choo heels , her hair was curled flawlessly , framing her face and her make-up was a masterpiece. Her lashes were pulled out to an impossible length that brushed her high cheek bones and accentuated the gold highlight while her pink plump lips were glossed to perfection.

Just as she'd began to fuss with her hair in the living room her phone vibrated and she eagerly picked it up.

"Tell me good news Stefano."

"Well Ms. Underwood, everything is in place besides the journalist. She just called in sick with the flu."

Exasperated , Yara poured herself another glass. Jordan Clarkson had insisted that there be press tonight and amongst everything else that was complicated when it came to them , a party could not join the list.

"What do you mean the journalist can't make it? So what if she has a flu , tell her take something and come!"

"I'm afraid we can't do that. Maybe I could call a company?"

The intensity of the situation made her overlook Zolee's entrance. The young woman placed her Michael Kors bag on the table and took an apple to her mouth as she watched Yara with slight amusement .

"No we can't do a company , he requested freelance , they have less bias plus the crew is from a network he just wanted to hire his own journalist, it took a lot of persuasion to do , it's not an ordinary thing so she needs to be there."

"I'm sorry Ms. Underwood , this is really short notice."

Huffing , Yara took a huge gulp.

"I know. Do you have any other ideas?"

She finished the glass as her mind began to work. This day had been terrible since the moment she got out of bed , she couldn't get back in with the same energy.

"Trouble in paradise?"

Zolee queried but Yara waved her off.

"Do you know any freelance journalists with nothing to do on a Saturday night?"

Stefano spoke timidly , not sure how Yara would respond to the question when the pressure was already boiling.

"Where am I supposed to find a freelance journalist Stefano ?"

Looking over at Zolee , Yara had a brilliant idea right there and then. As she hung up her phone she sat in front of her roommate.

"Zo , you have a journalism degree right? You used to work for Colorado news before you joined Aya. Could you please interview some of the players when they walk into the party , it's only thirty minutes I swear and then you can help me make sure things are fine and party inside, please Zo!"

Zolee began to shake her head but then stopped, she did say that she wanted to start back up with journalism but was now the time? She wasn't even prepared but she couldn't tell Yara that , she knew how much throwing good events meant to her so she nodded and walked to her room to get dressed.

Encouraged , Yara clapped as she began to walk around and get ready herself. She changed into something sleeker; a body hugging ruched red dress and clear heels. Meanwhile Zolee put on a black crop top with tastefully cut out sides and a pencil skirt that hugged her body and stopped right above her knee with a pair of red peep toe shoes.

"You look amazing!"

Yara sung while Zolee spun around and shrugged. Despite the hiccup , Yara knew this night would be special.

--

Setting the stage , Zolee went forward and conducted interviews without a second glance at Yara who was accosted by a familiar face.

"Beautiful as always."

"Shame on you for thinking it would ever be different Brandon."

Scoffing rapper Lil Bibby grinned at her while she stood for a photo with him.

"I told you only my mama calls me Brandon, everyone calls me bibby ."

"Well then that exactly why I call you it, I'm not everyone."

Charging ahead of him Yara smiled to herself while he watched after her.

"You sure as hell ain't Yara Underwood."

They'd happened a long time ago , four months if Yara recalled correctly. She didn't know why he was here tonight but with how handsome he looked she wouldn't ask. That was rare for him.

Stepping into the venue, she was appeased by how nicely her team worked to bring her and Jordan's dream together. A gentleman on bottle service handed her a glass of champagne while she took a seat near the door , Bibby accompanied her. Every now and then she'd glance at Zolee to make sure things were going smoothly. From the looks of her interactions with Odell Beckham Jr. and D'Angelo Russell they were fine.

"So you're behind all this I'm sure?" Bibby raised his glass to her and she clinked hers against his while she crossed her legs.

"Who else but the best?"

"I guess no one, it's been a while Yara."

"It has but you seem to be fine."

They'd only messed around for a week or two. He was cute in an odd way , when he opened his mouth she found that his voice had a profound effect on her. She'd planned a party for him and he'd been so impressed he'd pursued her for a while until she gave in. She could never be with a rapper, but it was exhilarating while it lasted.

"You seem to be more than fine. What are you doing after this?"

Smirking , she took in Zolee's approach from the corner of her eye and stood up.

"We'll see after the party. Enjoy it Brandon."

Turning , she linked her arm with Zolee's as she ushered them deeper into the event. Pulling her directly towards the VIP bar where nothing but ballers and entertainers lurked, Yara found her place easily. Meanwhile Zolee fidgeted a bit as she felt their eyes surveying her.

"Hey beautiful!"

Yara knew that voice anywhere at this point. Handling their drinks that were just brought out, she sipped the Laker Smash , purple with gold flakes and hella good. Zolee motioned for a second one as Jordan came into view. The grin he wore was so welcoming , Yara couldn't even manage to be smart with him as he engulfed her and quickly pecked her lips earning him a semi-stern look.

"Jordan" Yara whispered but he just took her hand and kissed it , giving her a knowing look.

She was defeated, but just this once.

Zolee turned and took him in. Jordan Clarkson was so fine in person, come to think of it Zolee had never had this much of a view of him. She usually saw his back as he left the apartment. Jordan smirked at her before he gave her a hug as well.

"So nice to meet you Zolee, Yara's told me a lot. Thanks for looking out too , you saved my press man. You were better than the original choice. You definitely left an impression on my people."

Jordan gave Yara a look and both of them chuckled at the last thing he said creating a moment of confusion for Zolee , nevertheless she chuckled , smiled and moved away from them feigning an incoming text message.

D'Angelo Russell had wasted no time in pursuing her. Zolee had no idea what was coming her way but neither did Yara as she felt Jordan's arm snake around her waist.

"You gave me one night remember?"

"I do and I can't believe I wasn't drunk when I said that."

Sipping off her drink , Jordan chuckled.

"Yeah well , I wouldn't speak so soon. Sex can be more potent than alcohol apparently."

Sneaking in one more kiss , Jordan laughed at the way her nose wrinkled at him before placed a kiss on her nose as well and interlaced their fingers.

"You lucky I'm all about my money Clarkson."

"That's all I am to you shawty , a paycheck?" Jordan kissed his teeth at Yara before he smiled "I got some people for you to meet."

He knew better than to believe that. Pulling her with him , he looked back at her face every now and then. She seemed to be completely comfortable with him like this despite how much she complained.

The VIP section he'd held for his friends looked down at the entire club and was plush. A hookah station was set up across from the bar and his friends sat on a white couch in the middle of it. As soon as they'd walked in , a beautiful brown skinned girl in a figure hugging bronze dress lace at the side embraced him. Yara was too busy to take notice at first but when she turned , a few things caught her attention.

The way the girl eyed her when they separated was one. Reaching out a hand , she didn't wait for Jordan's introduction as she stepped in front of him.

"I'm Yara Underwood , I planned this party for Jordan. I hope you're enjoying yourself."

Cocking her head to the side , the girl smiled before she looked at Jordan. Shaking Yara's hand loosely before crossing her arms across her chest she continued to size Yara up.

"Maranda Hudson , Jordan's best friend and I always enjoy myself."

"Good to know."

Wrapping an arm around Yara , Jordan put his other around Maranda.

"She's also my girlfriend M."

"Oh really? Since when because she wasn't two days ago."

The sharp tone of the girl's voice amused Yara. It also confirmed her suspicions. Jordan Clarkson may have been denser than she thought.

"Things have a tendency to change in a short span of time." Yara supplied as she shrugged, no doubt adding fuel to Maranda's fire.

"Do you know about his daughters?" Maranda asked sternly while giving Jordan the side eye.

"Yup , they're very sweet."

Shrugging Jordan tried to break the tension as he unwrapped his arm from around Maranda and moved Yara in front of a group of his friends.

"Yara this is my brother Bear , you know Swaggy P and that's my boy Larry. Guys , this is Yara my girlfriend."

The introduction went over well enough. Nick Young was the first on his feet and hugging her.

"Look at my bomb ass party planner. What you doing with this lame though?"

"I do my job well Nick , you know that."

"Maybe a little too well if you're dating clients."

Snaking back into the conversation, Maranda sat on the side of Bear who hadn't moved an inch and shot Jordan a look that he shot back to her. He didn't understand why she couldn't chill.

Yara knew the answer all too well.

Nonetheless she played nice and talked to the group of guys, even slid Larry her card in case he had any events coming up. She had one job and she did it well. No one would take that from her and she wouldn't be shaken by jealousy over a man she didn't claim , it wasn't her thing. Looking over the club's balcony , she took in Zolee dancing alone while D'Angelo watched forlorn. It amused her, he'd always begged her to meet her friends and just off meeting one he seemed to be sprung.

"What do you want from him?"

She didn't have to turn to know who was speaking to her. She'd just met the girl but there weren't many voices like that. Maranda had a presence about her. In high school she probably was one of the girls you didn't want to mess with. In college she probably pledged a sorority and though she was hot shit. In Yara's world she was just a lovesick best friend.

"Well right now , just a positive yelp review."

"Be serious Yara. He's my best friend."

Turning to her, Yara sized her up the same way she had her. The only difference this time was that Maranda seemed bothered by the inspection , a tad insecure. Yara knew the signs , the way she wrapped an arm around her body , let her hand rest on her forearm. The deliberate way she'd looked away from her , it wasn't comfortable being on the other side was it?

"Is that it Maranda?"

"It is."

Nodding , Yara raised her glass to her before she chuckled.

"Alright. Jordan knows my intentions and they're none of your business. You can be sure he's not blindsided by anything though."

"Everything alright here?"

Jordan's voice cut through Maranda's next statement silencing her as he walked over. Smiling at him , Yara brought his face to hers and kissed him passionately.

"Perfectly fine , I've got to go make sure everything is still going great so just enjoy your night and your friends okay?"

Letting him go , she headed towards the stairs when he grabbed her hand again. Maranda could see in the way he looked at her that this was different. It irked her that she could realize that. The kiss had gotten beneath her skin and Yara had unmasked her in one encounter. Was she that transparent?

Was he that fixated on her?

"Are you coming back up?"

"I doubt it , but I'll be around. Just call me when you need me or we can meet up where we usually do. It's your night after all."

With one last lustful look that seemed to make Jordan's head spin , Maranda felt her stomach turn. Yara Underwood was a force to be reckoned with.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 135 9
i stopped writing this out of respect for jaden.
113K 4.6K 33
"𝐚𝐢𝐧'𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭, 𝐈 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐭".
1.6K 32 12
Sometimes its not about how you found one another, sometimes its about how you stuck together through it all.
3.4M 123K 61
𝚈𝙾𝚄'𝚁𝙴 𝙼𝚈 𝚂𝙰𝙻𝚅𝙰𝙶𝙴, 𝚈𝙾𝚄'𝚁𝙴 𝙼𝚈 𝙱𝙰𝙻𝙰𝙽𝙲𝙴