Difference

By garicksons

A story of teenager Adonis, living with post traumatic stress disorder, as well as a world of other issues in... More

Disclaimer
1. I like your shoes
2. Teen Connection Club
3. Skylar & Braheim
4. Guitar Playing
5. American Oven
6. The R Word
7. Facetime
8. Christmas Eve
9. Merry Chrithmath
10. Bad, but Fun.
11. CN Tower
12. Dread Head
13. Email
14. Bitch
15. Creative Writing
16. Keith
17. Party
18. Pineapples
19. Pills
21. I like you
22. Abstinence
23. Breathe
24. Micheal
PSA: dont do this
25. Ice Cubes *TW*
26. Cookies
27. Frozen
backstory
28. Her
29. Ali-bi
30. Freaky
31. Sneak
32. Bruise
33. Loud
34. Swishers
35. Argument.
36. Back Home
37. Comfortable
38. Sidechick
39. Fight
40. Grow
41. Dinnertime
42. Advice
43. Drinks
44. Emotions
45. Sick
46. Abrasive
47. Meeting.
48. Family
49. ♡ Valentine ♡
50. ♡ Valentine pt 2 ♡
51. NYC (Final)
Epilogue: 5 years later
New Books
Q&A
Happy Fall ;)

20. Six Years Ago

21.2K 1.6K 1K
By garicksons

lord this chapter is a doozy. I be forgetting details about my characters that have to be consistent throughout the story. That's why my notes look like this ^^^ lmao 😭💀
anyone else? maybe it's just me lol I'm disorganized 🤷🏽‍♀️

-also this chapter will need a lot of editing so jus give me a little time lol

//

*Flashback*

May 18, 2012

Adonis and his mother had been in the exam room for longer than he'd felt comfortable. His mother was growing increasingly annoyed with her lack of answers. All she wanted to know was why her younger son was so different than her older?

Due to his mother's frustration, a new physician, different than the woman before entered the room.

"Good Afternoon you two.."

"Can we speed this up please? I have to get my other son from school."

"We have to take our time in order to get to the bottom of this as accurately as we can. So I'd like to start by speaking with...Adonis, is it?"

The 11 year old shook his head yes.

"He doesn't speak, hardly at all! At school..nothing. Doesn't matter what I do. If he doesn't feel like talking, he won't. He also doesn't like being around other kids."

"When did this begin?"

"He always didn't talk much...but the discomfort around strangers? That began when he was a little younger...there was a uh...incident."

The uncomfortable child shifted in his seat.

"Could we be more specific?"

As the adults discussed the traumatic events young Adonis had been through, he felt betrayed. For this woman was nothing but a stranger to him, hearing his own mother tell her the details of everything that happened to him was beyond upsetting.

Though he also noticed, several of the details were changed. Certain things being added, others taken away. Specifically, any and everything that had to do with his father, in which his mother recently separated from.

That annoyed him. His father was one of the only people that made him feel better when things were going wrong.

"Adonis. You don't have to give an in depth answer, all I want is a yes or no. Do you ever feel nervous or afraid when you think of the things that happened to you?"

He nodded yes.

"Do you have troubles sleeping?"

Rather than Adonis answering, his mother interjected.

"I noticed he does wake up at night. Sometimes I hear him get up in the middle of the night..it's bad."

The woman wrote something down, and continued.

"Ok. So, Adonis. Do you ever feel like hurting yourself?"

The more questions that were asked, the more his mother would answer. With the only excuse she had was "I'll talk because Adonis doesn't like talking."

And so, throughout the assessment Adonis' debatably well-meaning mother answered questions to get a diagnosis, a prescription and leave...rather than to truly understand the problem with her son.

Adonis of course, stayed quiet. Even when he knew his mother would exaggerate the truth, and even when she wasn't telling the truth at all.

His mother got what she'd wanted. An Aspergers  and PTSD diagnosis, along with multiple medications.

Adonis' mother left satisfied, hoping these medications would turn him into his older brother. As for Adonis, he was just happy to be leaving.

Present day

Adonis»

At the breakfast table, I felt a bit nervous. This would be my first morning of taking no pills..but for now I was feeling alright.

"Adonis, I was thinking we go out shopping today. I need to get Noel some shoes..maybe you'd like to come as well?"

"Yeah Adonis you need to come shopping with us! Because after mommy lets us get ice cream."

"Sure." I shrugged.

"Eden I'm sure you aren't interested.."

"Correct."

"However, I need you to. I have to get you a new suit for church homecoming. We don't go every Sunday but it's the least we can do."

Farrah

I finally left my morning shift at the restaurant. Lazy Saturday here I come.

Once I got up to my room, I picked up my phone off my bed. I was no longer allowed to have it with me while on the job because it's a 'distraction'.

I noticed I had a text from Keith.

Keith |
Hey...you busy ? 🤔

Confused, I responded.

Farrah |
Nope. Not busy. What's up

Keith |
I'm sure it's not true..buttt I heard that you got a thing for that Adonis nigga.🧐🧐 Something happened at the party?

Farrah |
I got into it with Eden. Adonis has nothing to do with it .

Keith |
Right but my nigga was there and he said something about you confessing to liking Adonis 🤷🏾‍♂️which is a shame bc I thought me and you were starting something back up

Farrah |
Could've swore you were starting something up with Crystal last night .

Keith |
What's up? You like him or what?
-

After that I closed the conversation. Keith isn't interested in starting something back up or whatever he says. He's just being nosy.

I didn't care much about that, but what I did care about is people running their mouth about what happened last night. I keep telling myself I'm not embarrassed about liking Adonis, but I can't stop thinking of what Skylar, or Melanie would say.

Fuck them. I'm the last one who should be embarrassed! Skylar is a hoe, Melanie is failing all of her classes. That's not me being petty, it's true. So what I like Adonis? He's a good guy!

I decided to go back and send a response.

Yeah, I do.

Satisfied with my answer, I put my phone back down. But the second I did, I got a phone call.

Eden?

"Ugh what do you want?" I mumbled before answering.

"Hello?"

"Yeah..Farrah...we uh need your help."

"We? With what?"

"It's uh..Adonis. We went out shopping and he's kind of..freaking out."

"What do you mean freaking out? Where's your mom?"

"She took Noel to the dress shop, Don said he had to go to the bathroom. I decided to go too and...well..he started freaking out. He's in the stall..I tried talking to him but he's not having it. I figured maybe you could..?"

"Yeah yeah of course."

I knew he wasn't just gonna be alright. I just knew it.

I heard some shuffling, along with Eden in the background. "Hey buddy, Farrah is on the phone. You wanna talk to her?"

There was more shuffling before I finally heard his voice.

"Farrah."

"You okay? What's going on?"

"It was a bad idea. I'm not fine Farrah I don't know what to do-"

"Adonis slow down. What's happening?"

"When we got to the mall I was okay, but th-there's so many people. I felt overwhelmed so I went in here but Farrah I feel like I'm gonna pass out."

"Adonis it's okay..uh..just.."

I had no idea what to tell him to do. I had no idea how to help him.

"I shouldn't have done it. You were right. I don't know what to do now..I felt fine yesterday, I felt fine this morning!"

"It's okay Don, it's okay. I know it's gonna be hard but you need to tell your mom, so you can figure this out."

"I can't tell her Farrah she'd kill me. Not to mention she'd be a helicopter over me. She'd watch everything I do, I could never be alone."

"You can't go this long without having any type of medication Adonis. You had it for a reason."

"I have to wait until it's time for a refill...Farrah I know I should but I can't tell my mom."

Adonis»

It had been almost twenty minutes, and I'd finally started to feel normal. Eden had stayed in the bathroom with me the entire time.

After speaking to Farrah, I know the right thing to do would be tell my mom.

I still wasn't going to do it.

"Mom called me three times. She's probably worried Adonis."

"We can go. I'm okay." I told him, washing my face in the bathroom sink.

"If you're not ready that's fine. What's mom gonna do? Beat my ass? We're grown."

"We aren't grown Eden. We should go, I don't want mom to be upset."

"You sure? I'm fine in here. Ain't wanna come shopping in the first place."

a/n:
Eden is a shitty older brother, but he's still an older brother.

so uh,

There's a very sudden HUGE influx of who started reading this book for some reason. Hey new readers!

also, there was a cover change :p

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dysmorphia By rahma

Teen Fiction

226K 11.1K 48
"Possibly one of the best books I have ever read." "This is the best book I've read on Wattpad. I'm not lying." "This was the most beautifully writte...
95.1K 3K 45
*UNDER EDITING* In the intricate web of high school, Coen and Serenity shared a close friendship, until life took its toll. Then, out of the blue, a...
1.8K 251 82
Two kids with horrible school experiences despite being from different backgrounds are admitted towards the ultimate high school experience, and have...
48.9K 2.2K 21
(n.) the phobia of losing someone you love . FEBRUARY 2021 1K APRIL 25, 2021 5K JUNE 7, 2021 10K JULY 26, 2021