Head Above Water

By h2hoeee

Lilith Bradshaw wanted to die, to end it all and never go back, that was until Beck Whittaker interrupted her... More

introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Four

30 8 6
By h2hoeee

"I'm just a friend, who's here to help you in the right direction."

Lilith sat in her mother's car which she took without telling the rest of her family where she was going.  She was parked across from the house she presumed was Beck's.  It seemed to be the only one directly on the other side of the river from her's. 

Was this the direction Beck was trying to push her in, and was he trustworthy enough to randomly appear at his house only a day after meeting him?  Her mind kept going back and forth between wanting to go back home and going to knock on the door.  She really wanted to know more about Beck and why he was so peculiar, but she also wished it'd be in a more public place.

You got this, just go knock on the door.  He's a good guy, he just wants to be a friend.  He won't hurt me.

After giving herself a small pep talk, she slowly got out of the car and walked along the cobblestone pathway to the front door.  She sighed deeply, quickly knocking on the door before taking a few steps back.

Part of her was hoping that Beck would be the one to answer, but instead it was a woman who she assumed to be his mother.  She looked to be only a few years older than Lilith's own mother, and she was definitely responsible for Beck's curly hair and kind eyes.  The woman bared a small smile, surprised to see Lilith at her door.

"Oh, hello dear, can I help you?" Lilith returned a smile, feeling more comfortable after seeing a sweet face. 

"Hi, I was just wondering if Beck was home?" Lilith watched as the woman's face fell and her eyes squinted in her direction.

"Beck?"

Lilith nodded slowly, her stomach growing uneasy.  "Yeah, he told me he lived over here but I might've gotten the wrong house."

The woman opened the door wider, her hand gripping the handle.  She cut Lilith off at the end of her sentence, "Is this some kind of joke? A prank or something?"  She waited for Lilith's response, her face never changing from her stern expression.

Lilith quickly shook her head.  Her voice grew quiet yet high-pitched, "No, not at all.  I met this guy yesterday and he told me his name was Beck and he lived over here, then he told me to come over and I don't know what's happening anymore."

The woman's shoulders dropped as they relaxed.  She could tell by Lilith's nerves building and the shock in her eyes that she meant no harm, that she didn't know the truth.

"Sweetie, I don't know who set you up to this, but my son, Beck, passed away almost five years ago."

Lilith's jaw dropped as her whole world got flipped.  "Oh my god, I'm so sorry.  I swear, I didn't know."

The lady's frown turned to a sad smile, "It's alright, you never would have known.  If you want to do something for me, whenever you see that guy again, tell him to screw himself."

Lilith held back her laugh, simply nodding her head.  "I'm really sorry for bothering you."

Lilith slowly walked back to her car, her head spinning as she tried to wrap her mind around what was happening.  Who was this strange guy she ran into, if not Beck who lived at the house behind theirs?  Why would he pretend to be someone's dead son, then send her to that poor mother's house to bring up dark memories?

She sat in the car for a moment, just thinking of any possible explanations to make this guy seem like a good person again, but she only made herself angry.  Lilith ran her hand through her hair, letting out a frustrated breath before driving off. 

Now she had a decision to make. 

Does she never go back to that river and try her best to forget that whole situation, or would she go back and confront the stranger?

The entire drive back to her house, Lilith contemplated what she would say and how she would say it.  Would she bring one of her siblings with her, just in case?  Should she even bring it up to them that she just got played by a stranger she met in the woods?

<><><><><>

Lilith cut the engine, stuffing the keys into her pocket as she walked around the house and into the direction of the woods.  She noticed a few of her family out by the water so she avoided stepping on branches as best she could.  When she fully emerged into the trees, she started jogging lightly, eager to share her mind with the stranger.

As the river came into view, she slowed her pace.  Glancing around in every direction, Lilith spoke out loud in hopes that the mysterious guy would be there.

"Beck, I know you're out here because you obviously aren't at your house, which isn't even your house because you're not even Beck."

She slowly went in circles, looking around trees and bushes as she yelled.

"You know, it's really wrong of you to send me to some lady's house pretending to look for her dead son."

Right as Lilith walked to the middle of the open area, the guy she was looking for appeared right behind her.  "You actually went?"

Lilith was quick to turn around, taking a step back, "Who the hell are you and why are you messing with me?"  

"I've already told you," Beck placed his hands into his pockets as he swayed on his heels.  Lilith shook her head slowly in disbelief.

"No, you did not tell me.  You're not Beck from that house over there, he's dead apparently.  Why are you doing this?" 

"I really thought you'd catch on by now if I'm being honest," he chuckled to himself, earning a glare from Lilith.  "I'm Beck Whittaker, also known as the lady's dead son.  Nice to meet you."

Lilith was so lost at the words he was telling her and she didn't believe a single one he said.  "You're not Beck, and you're not dead.  I can see you, I can hear you, and I'm pretty sure I can touch you."  Lilith stepped towards him, her hand sticking out.  She gently pushed his arm, nodding triumphantly to herself.  "Yeah, see, I wouldn't be able to feel you if you were dead."

Beck grinned as he looked from his arm to her confused face, "You may be able to, but others can't."

"You're lying, again," Lilith crossed her arms over her chest, sticking one foot out further to steady herself.  Beck only shrugged in response, staying silent for a moment before motioning his hand behind him.

"See for yourself then," Lilith watched as he stayed right where he was as her brother's head peaked through the trees.  She didn't say anything but watched as Leo walked towards the two of them.  Her heartbeat was racing as he didn't even acknowledge Beck standing there.  Beck's eyes never left Lilith's as her brother stood directly beside him.

"Hey, Lil, are you okay?" She didn't say anything in response but only nodded.  She watched her brother carefully as he moved near Beck, waiting for something to happen that would prove her wrong.

"Alright, well, the rest of us are going into town for a while to do some shopping if you want to come with?"  As her brother twisted his body, pointing with his thumb back towards their house, Lilith's heart dropped as his entire forearm went through Beck's midsection.  

"Oh my god," a low gasp escaping her lips as Beck's dark eyes stayed on hers.  He shrugged helplessly before walking to her side.

He stopped momentarily before continuing to walk behind her, "I wouldn't lie to you, I just want to help."

Lilith turned her head to follow his voice but he was already gone, and now it made so much more sense how he was gone just as quick as he came.  She was still confused and lost, but weirdly more comfortable with the situation now that she knew.  Her brother watched her do a full circle, growing more concerned for his little sister.

"Are you sure you're good, Lilith?  You're acting weird," he stepped closer, placing a hand on her shoulder.  

Lilith nodded slowly, placing her head in one of her palms.  "Yeah, I think I just need to lie down for a few."  Her brother had worried eyes as he helped her walk back to the house.  He followed her up the stairs and into her room, making sure she got to her bed okay before leaving her alone.  Before he had left though, Lilith called out to him.  "Can you not tell the others about what happened?  I don't want them to worry, but I swear I'm okay."

Leo sat on the edge of her bed, "I don't know, Lil, that was kind of freaky out there.  I've never seen you act that way before.  Are you sure?"

She nodded, "Yeah, the others wouldn't understand if they knew."

Her brother's eyes narrowed, obviously noticing something was off.  "You'd tell me if something was wrong, wouldn't you?"

Lilith nodded once more, "Yeah, of course, and I will tell you everything once I figure it out myself first."

He sighed, feeling more relieved as she sounded more honest, "Fine, but get some rest.  I know you probably barely got any after going out there this morning."

<><><><><>

comment your thoughts and compliment yourself, you deserve it

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

297K 8.6K 33
wattys longlist 2018 | MEET ELLA. She's drowning, literally. Ella has lung cancer, causing her lungs to fill with liquid that needs to be drained dai...
1.7K 173 43
"I want to tell him what happened to me- I want to admit to myself what happened to me," She breathed out, sinking back again, "And I think that need...
47K 2.1K 24
Wanna know why I committed suicide, Lauren? (Non-G!p) (GxG) (13+) (Trigger warnings)
12.6K 860 20
She was forced into this home. She was forced into this family. Life couldn't get any worse for Caitlyn. Her uncle was a psychopath, and had locked...