Hardy Boys -1. The Tower Trea...

By AuroraMandeville

Frank and Joe Hardy get to solve their very first case without the help of their famous father, only for it t... More

Friends in Need
A Car Chase
Undercover Picnic
A Little Scare
Slim Beginnings
A Clue or Two
Change of Plans
The Clue of the Wigs
Pretzel Pete
Dark Blue Sedan
Missing
Investigating the Pollitt Place
Plans and Cars
Saturday Swim
Finding Fenton
Covering All Routes
Springing the Trap
Searching for Treasure
Returning Stolen Property

Back to Willow Grove

487 17 0
By AuroraMandeville

 Frank and Joe got up early the next morning, only to find that their father had already left for New York City. Their mother explained that he had left long before she had even gotten up. Recalling past times when their father did that before, they knew their mother was worried over that fact and didn't say another word on it, though their mother did promise to keep an ear out for when their father called. He usually only called the home phone when he was on cases.

Having to be satisfied with this turn of events, the boys got ready for school and set out, brainstorming on how to find more clues and keep a constant eye on the Pollitt place. When they got to school, they found that their friends were waiting for them with the same questions. They walked with them to their lockers.

"When should we head back to Willow Grove to look for more clues?" asked Jack.

"Willow Grove is close enough to the Pollitt place that we could check up on it from time to time," suggested Jerry.

Frank shook his head. "Dad said to use the telescope and watch from our house, remember? It would be less likely that we would be seen."

Biff spoke up. "Well, since I know what that boat looks like, I volunteer to keep an eye on it while you look for clues."

Pete nudged Slim. "I think we should do that as well so we can keep up with our homework."

Slim bobbed his head. "I agree."

Joe grinned. "You guys are the best."

"Hey, we're the largest group of Watsons to aid you two, Mr. Sherlock and Mr. Holmes," said Tony with a grin. The others laughed.

"Yeah, you do know that Sherlock has his own little army of informants, though, right?" said Frank.

"Yeah, but they're not as well known as Watson," returned Tony. "Heck, I don't even remember the name of the leader of the group!"

"Sherlock Holmes was the leader of the Baker Street Irregulars," said Frank.

"Oh, right," said Tony, grinning sheepishly, while the others laughed.

"You of all people should know not to say that you don't remember anything about the lore of Sherlock Holmes," said Joe between chuckles.

Tony shrugged. "Hey, if Frank here can rattle it off faster than I can look it up, then I might as well use it. Thanks, kinda needed that for my test." The others groaned.

"Come on Tony, you can do better than that," said Phil, trying to tackle him.

"What? I'm not as big into literature as Frank is!" The bell rang, and the boys yelped, realizing the time.

"Meet us at lunch!" called out Frank as Slim and Pete took off. The others took a little longer to get going, but they made it to their first class, just barely. A few of them got glares from their homeroom teachers, but nothing was said and the day continued on. At lunch, the group gathered around a table and continued their conversation while they ate.

"I think we need to get back to Willow Grove immediately after school is over," said Frank. "We don't know how many other clues are still there, and we need to find them as soon as possible."

"But you said last night that you needed to set up the telescope, which was why we were supposed to meet you at your place later this afternoon," said Slim.

Frank smacked his forehead. "Oh man, you're right! I, for some reason, keep thinking that the telescope was set up last night!"

"And I know for a fact that we didn't do that," said Joe. He glanced at Frank. "Unless you did it without telling me."

Frank shook his head. "I don't think so."

"Well then, the only reason is that you were thinking of a certain . . ." Frank clamped his hand over Joe's mouth.

"Don't even start."

Joe pushed Frank's hand off. "I didn't even say anything!"

"You don't have to, I know you too well."

Joe grinned. "Yeah, so well, that I don't even have to say her name to get you blushing." Frank groaned while the others chuckled.

"Listen, Joe, I . . . oh!"

"And apparently thinking about her does clear your head," mumbled Joe.

Frank shot him a glare, but didn't speak about it. "I kept wondering why Dad left so early. He told us last night that he was leaving at eight this morning!"

"Hey, you're right!" said Joe. "Did he find out that he had to leave earlier than planned in order to catch his opportunity, or something?"

"Wait, what?" blurted Jerry.

"Can you guys leave your dad's case alone for more than five minutes," said Chet. "He did tell you that you weren't going to solve any of it until your cases were solved.

Frank and Joe glanced at each other.

"I'm beginning to suspect that they truly are connected," said Frank.

"And that our mysteries and this trip to New York City was just a ruse to distract him, and us," said Joe.

Frank shot a glance at his watch. "So, we'll be heading to our house first, set up the telescope, and take a look at the Pollitt place before we head out to Willow Grove. If they're planning on doing anything, it's going to be during Dad's absence."

"Besides," said Joe, "we did promise Dad to keep an eye on the Pollitt place from our house. We can't help but think of it."

"Well, I have the truck today, so they'll know we're coming," said Tony.

Biff's eyes widened. "I have an idea!" The others looked at him expectantly. "Since we're going to the Hardys first, why don't you leave the truck there and use my car? It's definitely quieter than your truck, and even quieter than the Queen."

Chet groaned. "I know, I know, I'm still working on that."

"But at least it's quieter than my truck." Tony grinned at Biff. "That's a great idea, let's do it."

"Great!" was all Biff could say before the bell rang. The boys leapt into action and dashed off towards their class amidst shouts of "see you later!"

Later, once school was over, the boys met up where the Hardys parked their motorcycles. Slim and Pete hadn't arrived yet, though.

"I wonder what's taking those two so long," said Chet, bouncing his leg impatiently. "They're riding with me."

"Probably something to do with school," said Joe with a shrug. "Let's give them a few minutes."

Frank began putting on his helmet. "Meanwhile, the rest of us can start heading over to our house. We'll have the telescope up by the time you get there with Slim and Pete."

"Hey guys!"

Chet let out a breath. "Oh good, there they are. Where have you two been?"

Slim was grinning from ear to ear. "Oh, boy, have we got news for you!"

"Wait until we get to the Hardys," Pete told them with a twinkle in his brown eyes. "This is real juicy."

Joe groaned but quickly put on his helmet and climbed on his bike. "Then let's go!" The fellows dashed to their respective vehicles and whoever was riding along jumped in. They followed the Hardys all the way back to their house. Frank and Joe arrived a few minutes before everyone else and dashed in to let their mother know the gang was coming. They found her sitting in the living room, chatting away on the phone. Joe frowned when he noticed it was her cell, not the landline.

"Hold on a minute, they just walked in." Laura placed her hand over the mouthpiece. "Do I have some news for you."

"Did Dad call?"

Laura nodded. "He said he'll call back after supper. He needed to talk to you two specifically."

"But Dad knew it was a school day and that we wouldn't be in . . ." began Joe slowly while Frank blinked in surprise.

Laura smiled. "That call was just to reassure me that everything was alright and to tell me that he ran into my parents."

Joe whooped. "You're talking to Grandpa Willie and Grandma Dottie!"

"They're coming for the summer, aren't they?" Frank added with a grin.

Laura laughed and then pushed the speaker phone button. "They figured it out, Mom."

Dottie's cheery laugh came over the phone. "Well I wouldn't expect anything less of them. It does run in the family, after all."

"Oh, before we forget, Mom, the guys are coming over. They're going to help us keep an eye on the Pollitt place for Dad and looks for clues at Willow Grove," said Frank.

Laura nodded. "Thank you for telling me."

"Well, how about that? You two helping your father on another case?"

"Yeah, for now anyway, seeing as he's helping us on ours," Joe reported. The two quickly gave their grandma an update on what was happening while their friends arrived. Frank let them in while Joe finished the narrative.

"My goodness, you have been busy. I'd better let you guys get back to looking for clues. Your mother and I were just talking about the dates of our stay. We're still not sure yet, except that we will be coming in July. That's all your grandfather and I have discussed so far."

"You'll be here for our birthdays though, right?" Joe asked hopefully.

Dottie chuckled. "We'll talk about it, no guarantees. But we will be bringing your birthday presents, so have no fear of that."

"Well, all the fellows are here now, Grandma, so we'll let you and Mom get back to talking."

"Oh, well, hello fellows!"

"Hi!" the boys' friends chorused.

"And ciao for now, we'll be seeing you all when we get there!"

"Bye!"

"See you soon, Grandma!" called out Joe before the boys went dashing up the stairs while Laura turned the speaker phone off and put the phone back to her ear. Working quickly, Frank and Joe put up the telescope with some help from Biff. Frank got the telescope aimed at the Pollitt place before letting everyone take a look through it.

"Looks pretty quiet now," said Chet as he stepped back from the telescope to let Slim get his first look at the place.

Slim peered through the telescope. "Looks like it should be quiet all the time. Well, except for the people running away from it in fear. That house looks like it could be haunted."

"That's what I said!" blurted Chet.

"Oh cool," said Pete with a grin as he switched places with Slim.

"Well, now that you've seen the house and Biff knows what the boat looks like, you guys think you'll be alright?" asked Frank

The three nodded.

"Besides, I might be the one actively watching it while these two get their homework done." Biff glanced knowingly at Slim and Pete, who merely grinned back.

"Well, um, OK. Text me or Joe if you see anything. We need to head out to Willow Grove right now if we want to get any searching done before supper."

"Right!" chorused the others. They went back down the stairs and dashed to Chet's and Biff's cars, Tony having gotten the keys from Biff as they walked towards the house earlier.

When the boys got to Willow Grove, they spread out and carefully looked for clues. After two hours of searching and finding nothing, Frank called it quits and everyone piled into the cars to head back to the Hardys' house. Frank and Joe checked their phones on the way back, but neither one had received a text from Biff. They got back in time for supper. Biff, Slim, and Pete had a negative report on the house, but Slim and Pete had something else to reveal.

"So while that house has been quiet," said Pete between mouthfuls, "Slim and I got our homework done and realized we haven't told you yet."

"Tell us what yet?" asked Joe as he arched an eyebrow.

Chet quickly swallowed. "Oh! Why you were so late!" The two nodded.

"Since Slim and I have been pretty good at keeping up with our homework, Miss Parker thought she would give us a list of the scholarships she thinks we could qualify for. As soon as she gave us our list, we rushed back to our lockers and was making our way to you guys when we came across the Masons." The others gasped. "They didn't notice us though," continued Pete, "so the two of us decided to follow them for a bit."

Slim nodded. "They weren't heading for the front door, so we figured something was up."

"They were meeting their dad."

"Wait, what?"

"Why would they need to meet their dad at the back of the school?" asked Joe, looking at everyone.

"Let us finish, and we can tell you," said Pete, crossing his arms.

"Sorry."

"Apparently Mr. Mason is on a rather important case and is worried that he might have been followed to pick up Adam and Greg."

Frank nodded. "That makes sense."

"But that's not the really juicy part," said Pete with a grin.

Joe blinked. "What's juicier than knowing Mr. Mason is on an important case?"

Pete and Slim glanced at each other, grinned, and spoke in unison. "Adam and Greg don't want to be detectives like their father!"

"Adam wants to be an archeologist or a historian, he's big into history," said Slim.

"And Greg is all about the jungle."

"Oh, well that explains why Vanessa started going out with Greg," said Joe.

"So, you're saying that Adam and Greg wouldn't be our rivals if it weren't for Mr. Mason?"

Pete nodded. "More than likely. Apparently that rivalry between your dad and Mr. Mason does run really deep."

"Why is there a rivalry between your dad and Mr. Mason?" asked Slim.

Frank and Joe shrugged. "We don't know, Dad hasn't said." They glanced at Laura.

"Don't look at me, that's your father's story to tell, not mine."

"Oh, but Mom!" The phone rang.

"Speaking of, that must be him now," said Laura as she rose. She went to pick up the phone in the living room. Frank and Joe followed her. "Hello? Oh hello dear . . . yes, they're here, just a second." She put her hand over the mouthpiece and looked at her sons. "Do you want to take it here or in your father's study?"

"Study!" they chorused before dashing up the stairs. Joe closed the door while Frank went to the desk and pulled out a pad and a pen. The two glanced at each other and nodded before Frank picked up the phone.

"Dad?"

"Hello Frank, can Joe hear?"

"Hang on, let me put on the speaker." Frank pushed the button and set down the receiver. "OK, we're set."

"Alright, good. Do you have any news for me?"

"Nothing happened at the Pollitt place all day, and Biff, Slim, and Pete watched it like a hawk while we were at Willow Grove."

"Did you find anything else at Willow Grove?"

"Nothing," said Joe glumly, "nothing but the tracks we and the police left when we found the Queen."

Fenton let otua huff. "A thief who practically disappears into the night without a trace, except for Chet's car and these wigs."

"Were you able to check up on those wigs?"

"No, I've only been able to get some more information about the man who now owns the Pollitt place, and I've had to do some major digging just to find him. He clearly doesn't want to be found, despite the track record he's left in New York."

"He's served time?"

"Yes, and he's the nephew of old Felix Pollitt. His name is Felix Snattman. I've been on his trail for a while now, but apparently his time in prison has taught him how to be sly. I had a hunch for the longest time that he was somehow involved in this, hence why I asked you to look into the Pollitt place. And I do believe that boat you saw out there is part of their smuggling ring."

"But nothing solid has turned up."

"Exactly, these guys are covering their tracks really well, almost too well."

"Does that mean they could slip up soon?" asked Joe.

"I can only hope, maybe they will slip up now while I'm gone and/or you find something."

Frank winced. "We would have to have permission to go back to the Pollitt place. We'll check Willow Grove again, but like with Snattman and his smugglers, our thief seems to have covered his tracks really well."

There was a moment's pause one the line as Frank and Joe shared a concerned look. Would their father agree to let them go back?

Fenton sighed. "Alright, but wait until I've returned before you head back."

"Alright," chorused the boys, grinning broadly.

"In the meantime, you can head to the dock and check in with one of my informants. He's been keeping an eye on the docks ever since you boys told me about that boat you saw."

Frank and Joe glanced at each other. "An informant?"

"Yes, he goes by the name of Pretzel Pete, shouldn't be too hard to find him, he sells those big pretzels by the dock. I think that since I'm one of his biggest customers, he was more than willing to help me out."

"OK, wow, you're building your very own little Baker Street Irregulars." Joe chuckled.

"Joe."

"Sorry."

"I get help from whomever I can, and wherever I can. Fighting crime is no easy feat, it practically takes a whole army."

"As we've been finding out," said Frank as he shot a glance at Joe. Joe nodded.

"Well I need to go. There's one last thing I need to look into before heading to bed. I'll look into your clues tomorrow and I will call after supper. You boys take care and be careful."

"We will Dad, you be careful yourself."

"I always am. Good night."

"Good night!" The line went dead and Frank returned the receiver to the base.

"Well then, guess we have to meet with Pretzel Pete tomorrow and find out what he's found out."

"Yeah," said Frank almost absent-mindedly, his hand still on the receiver.

"What are you thinking about?"

"How come we've never heard of this Pretzel Pete before?"

Joe shrugged. "It's not like we go to the docks that often."

"True, but, still, there's this nagging at the back of my brain . . ."

"Is it similar the nagging that our cases are connected?"

Frank nodded.

"Well then, guess we'll just have to figure out Pretzel Pete's secret when we meet him tomorrow."

"I don't know if Dad will be happy about that."

Joe thought a moment. "Unless we get him to reveal it to us."

"I guess so. Come on, let's tell the fellows. Maybe we can brainstorm a few ways to get Snattman to slip up."

"And maybe figure otua way to get our thief to come out of hiding."

"That too." The boys left the study and told their friends what Fenton had said and what they hoped to do now. But as the boys went to bed that night, they were burning with curiosity if Pretzel Pete had found any clues. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

272K 3.4K 65
Just a story I came up with. I don't own the cover photo, nor the characters, all rights go to the original owner.
117 20 20
Theo and Reed move their family into a new house but the neighbor is making them want to move again. But trouble always seems to follow them.
432 11 25
Story of two college boys who own amateur detective club who had no achievement before. The club is in verge of disbandment because it had no achieve...
BROKEN BLOOD LINES By Jesse

Mystery / Thriller

236 7 17
After spending Christmas at home healing and resting, even having a fourth person at home it really worked out. But as for Jake, he was descend to ge...