F.I.G.H.T. (Completed)

By GenHope

More detailed description in story. Abella Mobisson has been around boxing most of her life. Her father was a... More

F.I.G.H.T.
Cast
00 | Overture
01 | Fight For Life
02 | Chatty Patty
03 | Hellos & Goodbyes
04 | Can I Talk To You?
05 | Free Smoke
06 | Can You Hear Me?
08 | Wins & Losses
09 | My Friend
10 | Kiss Of Life
11 | Connection
12 | No Wahala
13 | Pull Up
14 | The Morning After
15 | Red Flags
16 | Met My Match
17 | Misunderstood
18 | Infatuated
19 | Potential
20.1 | Special
20.2 | Struck
21 | My Equal
22 | The Blues
23 | The Test
24 | That's How You Feel?
25 | The Problem
26 | Strike 3
27 | Obvious / Over It
28 | Triggered
29 | Searching
30 | Too Deep
31 | Fear
32 | The Power of Love
33 | Mine
34 | Claiming
35.1 | My Home
35.2 | Home
36 | Love Ain't Enough
37 | Try Me
38 | Us vs. The World
39 | Flyin' High
40 | Losing, Lost
41.1 | The Crisis
41.2 | The Running
41.3 | The Chasing
42 | The Surrender
43 | The Rejoining
44 | Push Me
45 | Draw The Line
46 | Changes
47 | No Pain, No Gain
48 | Old Habits
49 | Prisoner
50 | Kryptonite
51 | F*cked Up
52 | Sabotage
53.1 | Crash
53.2 | Wait
54 | Break
55 | Return
56 | Win or Lose Yo Love
57 | Still Here
58 | Question
59 | Answers
60 | Heartbeat
Epilogue | Denoument

07 | Put You On

24.3K 1.3K 1.9K
By GenHope

Round 1

May 18th, 2019

Anthony walks down a Miami street following the directions to the address given to him. It's two weeks until his American debut meaning he's deep into training camp here in Miami. On top of that he has all the media obligations in order to promote the fight. Since Jarrell Miller was banned for failing his drug tests they had to find a replacement, so the show can still go on.

After the negotiations for Dereck Chisora fell through they had to find the next best option. That's Andy Ruiz Jr. Now it's a matter of being ready for a fighter that's coming in at the last minute.

Even though Sunday is his one day off from training, he's using this time to get some exercise by walking since it's close by anyway. Once he gets to the address that's a hotel, he remembers that the text told him to go to the pool.

He pushes through the gate noticing all of the cameras, lights, and people. He looks at his watch then around the pool area for the only reason he's here in the first place when a woman looks at him. "Is this another video model I didn't know about? I thought we shot all scenes with extras," she says with a little attitude under her breath.

"I don't think that's a video model," another woman responds looking back at Anthony.

"Sir, can I help you? The pool is closed. We'll be done soon."

Before Anthony can respond Abella speaks up saying, "He's here for me. Thank you."

Anthony turns in the direction of her voice seeing her in the water...

There was something about Abella that he couldn't put his finger on. It's like when you walk in the same vicinity as her you have no choice but to feel her. It's her aura. He noticed it when he connected eyes with her at the press conference. People say when Anthony walks into a room it's like he's floating, but hers is on a different level. She omits energy and radiates not only a white, angel-like glow but every color of the spectrum.

Of course he hasn't seen her in person since March considering he went back to the U.K. They haven't talked much since he checked on her after the shooting either. They've both been focused for what's about to come the first week of June. Anthony with his fight and Abella with her concert. They FaceTimed two or three times talking to catch up, but that was about it.

Abella is in Miami for one reason only and that's to shoot a music video then she's going right to New York City. She remembered Anthony mentioning his training camp is here, so she decided to reach out.

Abella motions for Anthony to come over, so he does. He stands over her before looking down...

"You actually came," she says as if surprised. She extends her small fist and he taps it with his large fist.

He tilts his head to the side. "Yeah. You invited me. Why wouldn't I?"

She drums her hands on the concrete of the edge of the pool then shrugs. "I don't know. You're in the middle of training camp. You're locked in." He wasn't going to admit he's using his one off day to see her. "Just give me ten more minutes and I should be done then we can go." Abella gives him a smile and he nods his head walking to the side to move out of the way.

Anthony sits down on one of the empty patio chairs hearing Abella tell the director, "I want to redo the dance part from the top," Abella tells the director. Music starts and her song Shift plays letting him know that's what video they're shooting. He's very familiar with the song considering his sister and niece have been playing it nonstop since it came out. Her entire album actually.

Everyone is quiet and their eyes are locked in on Abella. Anthony watches as she does a dance routine in the water. He knows it's not easy from his own experience with water. He swims and exercises in water often. Due to the waters resistance, your muscles are working a lot harder and here she is making it look graceful.

His attention is steered away from her when Abella's publicist and close friend, Tamara, approaches Anthony. Even though they only met when she was hired a year ago they became very close. It's hard not to when she's with Abella nearly everyday along with her manager.

She stops in front of him blocking the sun that was beating down on his exposed skin. "Anthony Joshua, right?" She asks to clarify even though she knows it's him. It's her job know everything about Abella including who her name's connected to in blogs. She extends her hand saying, "Tamara Reed, Béla's publicist."

"Nice to meet you," He says shaking her hand. She sits in the seat next to him.

"I wanted to thank you for speaking up during that debacle with Jarrell Miller," she says quietly knowing they're recording. "It might've only been one tweet, but it helped defuse the rumor a little. Béla might not admit it, but it meant a lot to her because his claims could've tarnished her rep and she cares a lot about the public image she built. It's nice to see Black men in the industry stick up for Black women. It's rare."

Anthony didn't think the tweet was a big deal. He didn't think twice about it. He was always taught as a man it's your duty to protect women. Protect them all like they're your mother sister, daughter, cousin, etc. "It was the right thing to do."

"Once again, thank you." She gives him a short smile before getting up and keeping it moving. By the time Anthony looks at Abella again she's out of the water looking at what was shot on a screen with the director.

Anthony wasn't trying to stare, but he's also a man. Abella's known for dressing modestly and not showing her body. She didn't want it to be the only thing she has to offer or the first thing people see before her talent. When she does show more skin she surprises people with her curvy yet toned body. She stands up straight letting her flat stomach be seen.

Abella holds up her index finger towards Anthony indicating she's almost done. When she begins skipping across the hot concrete on her bare feet, Tamara says jokingly, "Girl, quit running before you start a magnitude 3 earthquake with all that body."

Abella stops in her tracks. "Magnitude 3? More like magnitude 11. This thing will split the Earth in two," she says poking her butt out before going over to the outdoor showers to wash any chemicals off her body from the pool. Her stylist wraps a towel around her to help her dry off before pulling a pair of Black yet sheer coverup pants over her swimsuit bottoms. They have ruffles on the side touching the ground with their length. She slides into a pair of sandals talking to her publicist at the same time who's trying to figure out where she's going.

Sometime's being a celebrity feels like being locked in a cage. Someone always wants to know your whereabouts. You can't go anywhere alone because 'anything can happen.' It's like being a teen with parents, step-parents, and protective older siblings; someone's always on your back.

Anthony watches from a distance as Abella explains to her publicist that she doesn't need security. He sees her motion towards him basically telling Tamara to look at him, she'll be safe. That's something her team always scolded her about because she thinks she can still move around like she's not a celebrity. Eventually, she walks away from her publicist grabbing her purse from somebody else before walking towards him.

"Damn, I didn't think I needed permission to go to lunch with a friend," Abella mumbles as Anthony turns to walk beside her so they can leave.

"Are you finished?"

"Yup, we've been shooting since 6 in the morning. At least we got the video done. I'm starving," she says with a little aggravation. Being hungry always makes her moody. Anthony looks at his Apple watch seeing it's almost 2p.m. making him bounce his brows up.

"They didn't have food for you?"

"Some little finger food that's nearly not enough, but that vegan place I told you about is right around the corner," she says as Anthony holds the gate open letting Abella go through first. "You would be proud of me. I've been vegan for four months straight. Thanks for the food suggestions. Not gonna lie after I get to the goal weight my team set, I probably won't continue eating vegan," she admits.

He chuckles. "Maybe I'm missing something, but you look in shape to me."

"Thank you! I already work out and eat healthy, but that's not enough. My team says I need to lose 15 pounds because it's hard to find clothes for me. Apparently being tall with hips, butt, and thighs isn't a good combination for designers so they have to get me custom made clothes all the time. You know how many squats I did for these," she says rubbing her thighs. "This industry will be the death of me."

"I don't think you should change if you don't want to. That's why you are where you are now," he offers as advice.

"That's the only thing I'll compromise. Other than that nothing's changing. And what did my publicist say to you?"

"She was thanking me for speaking up when Jarrell Miller went on that Twitter rant chatting nonsense. She said something about it being rare for Black men to stick up for Bkack women. If you ask me, you have a lot of Black men willing to stick up for you," he says with a laugh referring to the men who pulled up on Jarrell. "Had the whole PBC Boxing behind you."

Abella laughs. "People need to stop messing with me. I wonder why she said that specifically though." The only men Abella never felt protected by are the ones she's been in relationships with. She didn't vocalize that though. Other than that Black men have always protected her from her father, brother, cousins, and her close male friends.

"You only came to Miami to do the music video?" They walk down the sidewalk side by side. Abella stands at 5'9", a little above his shoulder since he's 6'6".

"Yup, I leave tomorrow for New York. How long are you going to be here before coming to New York?"

"I'm not going to New York until the week before the fight."

"Really? Someone's enjoying the 305. Lookin' like a real Miamian, tan and all," she says with a light laugh glancing at his bare chest since he's shirtless.

"Miami is always fun."

"On vacation, but you've clearly never lived here. There's another side to Miami." Abella always hates coming to Miami because she feels like she might slip into her old habits. She only came here to shoot her video and she'll be gone. "How's America been treating you though?"

"It's actually quite nice. I've been here a lot, but not this long. I feel at ease."

"Does that mean you'll start having more fights here?" She asks with a hopeful smile.

Anthony could see a difference in Abella. She's not as closed off as she was the first time they met and hung out. That's because this is the happiest she has been in months. It has a lot to do with the occurrence of consecutive tragedies slowing down while her career successes were sky rocketing.

On the other hand, he's the one with the low energy now. He's tired from training and all the media obligations he had to fulfill from interviews to sit downs to filming everything he's doing for content of the weeks leading up to the fight on different platforms. He's pretty much been a show pony for the last couple of ways and he's simply trying to balance it all.

When he left the house he's renting for his training camp, he only told KD. During the weeks leading up to fights he rarely gets alone time because he has a full team around him from 24/7. Sunday is his day off and he wants to enjoy this day even if it's only lunch with Abella.

"Maybe. I definitely want to fight in Vegas."

"Maybe? It's not cheap flying to the U.K. every time you fight."

Anthony laughs. "I have to think about my fans back home. And wait, you've been to my fights before?"

"Yes, several of them. Whyte, Breazeale, Klitschko, Parker, and Povetkin," she lists.

"Wow," He says genuinely surprised. "I didn't know you were a fan," he adds to be funny.

"I'm a boxing fan. Let's get that clear," she says with a laugh. "My Dad liked you and he would want to go to your fights and I would take him. Make it a whole little vacation to bond," she says with a smile thinking on it. "He's the one who told me about you. He used to pay attention to all the up and coming fighters and you were one of them."

"I didn't know that. I would've liked to meet him. He's one of my favorite heavyweights," Anthony says as he pulls the shirt he's been holding in his hand over his head. It's entirely too hot.

She bounces her brows up because that can't happen now. "My Dad wasn't like the other retired boxers. He would go to the fights and leave. He never wanted to be on camera, commentating on the sidelines, on social media, none of that."

"I wouldn't either the way the way they treated him when he was boxing."

She didn't want to start talking about her Dad. She's glad when she sees the restaurant. "Here it is," Abella says pointing at the building that they walk into. She greets the first waitress she sees with a smile and even using her name because she knows her. "Do you want your usual table in the back, Béla?" The waitress asks her. Abella nods her head as she grabs menus motioning for them to follow.

She shows them to a table with a curved booth in the back where nobody else is. It was the table she always got when she came here while in Miami. She gets privacy while not being completely closed off. They both slide into each side sitting across from each other. When the waitress asks about drinks they both order water.

"Would you guys like to try our date menu. For every couple it's a set price. Doesn't matter what you order, it'll be the same price," she suggests before just automatically handing them a regular menu.

"Oh, this isn't a date. It's a lunch date, but not a date date, Penelope," Abella says quickly looking up at the waitress. Anthony looks at her with slightly squinted eyes. She said it with the same quickness when she said she wouldn't date him in that interview.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Then I'll just give you the regular menus," she says doing a little awkward laugh feeling embarrassed for assuming before handing them each one. She walks off giving them time to decide what they want.

It's quiet for a second as they both look at the menu. "This isn't a date, right?" Abella asks to clarify so she's not hurting anyone's feelings. And by anyone she means Anthony's. She's the one who told him she's in Miami, but it was his idea to go to lunch. She assumed a platonic, friendly lunch.

"No, but if you were smart you would've taken the menus to save me some money," he says with a laugh.

"Damn, you're right," she mumbles. "You think I can convince her to give them to us?" Abella asks looking to the side. "And me? You mean us. I'm paying for my own food," She says strongly to make it clear. She's always been that way. If she's not dating you, she doesn't want you to pay for her.

"I'm the one who invited you, so I pay. But if you insist more money in my pockets," Anthony says with a shrug.

Abella scratches her cheek with her nail saying, "Looking at these prices... I'm cheap as hell, so go ahead."

"I'm cheap too. That's why I said it."

Abella leans forward saying lowly, "We should really ask for that date menu. Save about a good $50, easy."

"You already told her it isn't a date. With no hesitation at that."

"All I have to do is say it was a slight miscommunication. Boom! Money saved," she says looking around for the waitress. "Oh, Penelope," She says waving her over when she sees her.

"You two ready to order?" The waitress asks with a smile.

"Actually, no. So it looks like him and I weren't on the same page and this is indeed a date. Who would've known?!" Abella says tapping the table for added effect. "Awkwarddd, but we'll laugh about this one day when we're married. Right, Anthony?" She says looking at him. He was trying not to start laughing, especially with how she changed voices talking in a more high pitched tone.

"You know, had to let her know. Sometimes you have to let it be known. No friend zoning. I go after what I want," Anthony says using an American accent. Both Anthony and Abella look at each other smiling for added affect.

"Can we get that date menu?" Abella ends it with.

"That's no problem at all. Give me those and I'll be back in a second." They hand her the menus and as soon as she walks away they both start laughing. When they see her coming back they gain their composure taking the new menus.

"This is more like it. Okay!" Abella says looking at the set price.

"When we're married, huh?" Anthony says with a chuckle looking at the menu.

"I had to get my act on. That was a pretty convincing performance if I do say so myself," she says twirling her hand before bowing her head.

"And next time don't question it... If this was a date you would know. Probably would've chosen something better than this," Anthony says looking around.

Abella pauses for a second looking at him. She smiles touching her tongue to the front of her teeth then says, "I would hope so."

Anthony laughs. "Wait, don't tell me you're too good to be taken on a date here? Are you one of those women? You suggested this place."

"I don't know what one of thoseee women means, but I wasn't speaking for myself. This place is cute and in the cut like I like it. Good food and not too expensive. I'm not a picky person. On the other hand I'm sure the type of women you date are picky."

"And what's that type?"

"High maintenance. The super models of the world."

"That's where you're wrong because I don't even date. I don't have the time. And those are the type I try to stay away from...high maintenance."

"I feel you, but how can you not find the time to date? You only fight twice a year. You have plenty of time you probably just don't make time for it because you don't want to settle down or something," she says sipping on the straw in her glass of water.

"I fight twice a year, but I train nearly everyday. I have business obligations outside of boxing. I have a son, family, friends. Where's dating going to fit into that? Unless I take her on a date to the gym with me."

He was serious, but when Abella says, "Aww," he looks confused. "A date at the boxing gym could actually be cute. You can like do a little picnic style thing in the middle of the boxing ring. Jazz it up and tie some flowers or decorations on the ropes. Have music playing. See men always have excuses. I just gave you an idea for free."

"You're a special one," he says with a laugh. "I don't think that's sanitary. The ring gets stepped all over, blood, sweat."

That's why you lay a blanket down, duh." She looks at Anthony's face beginning to laugh. "You have to get creative sometimes."

"Most of these women ain't worth that effort. They want everything, but give nothing. That's why I stay focused. They wouldn't be looking at me no way if I wasn't who I am or didn't have money."

"I feel the same way. You never know who's genuine anymore. That's why I stay focused on my career and family." He couldn't agree with that more. Abella puts her menu down already knowing what she wants. She places her hands on the table asking, "Are you coming to my show?"

"Which one?"

"The Madison Square Garden one, of course. It's the week after your fight. That Friday. If you're still in town you should come."

"My sister already forced me into buying tickets for her, my niece, and I for the London show. Is it a different show from your tour?"

"Of course. Not one of my shows will be like the last, especially one at the Madison Square Garden. The European tour is all about my newest album. This show you'll have to see for yourself if you come. I'll get you free tickets and backstage passes, cheap-o."

"Oh, okay. I'll be there," he says as soon as he hears free.

Abella laughs. "You make too much money to be this cheap."

"You're one to talk. Those London tour tickets weren't cheap for the good seats. You're making money. They call me 'long change' for a reason. One day, I'll be rich o. Mr. Billionaire!" He says in a Nigerian accent.

"Eh ehn, Mr. Penny Pincher. One day you will have to spend that money or it will just burn your pocket. You will have hole in your jeans allowing for others to come collect," she says giving it right back.

"The next generation can spend it and I'll be there," he says looking at her as she nods her head. "Oh, and–" Anthony says reaching into the pocket of his shorts. He extends his arm saying, "The backstage passes for the fight."

"Thank you," Abella says taking all four of them. When he offered the invite to come backstage after the fight during of their conversations, she accepted. "I'll get you tickets to my show by next week when you get to New York. I'll talk to my manager. How many do you need?"

"Just two for me and my sister." Abella nods her head shooting her manager a text requesting two tickets and two backstage passes. Her show is nearly sold out, but he can always make magic happen.

"Oh," Abella says having a thought while on her phone. She tries to stay off her phone and actually interact with people when she's out, but she thought about something. "Remember how we were talking about Pan-Africanism and the diaspora. Then that other conversation we had about brain storming designs for my tour outfits and your robe and trunks." Anthony nods remembering each conversation vividly. They were both an hour long on the separate occasions, but he could remember them word for word.

Abella scoots from her side of the booth to the middle as she pulls up the pictures. "Look. These are sketches for some of my tour outfits," she says handing him her phone. She scoots closer, so she can see her screen explaining, "I listened to your idea. Most of the outfits will have the Pan-African colors with red, green, black, or gold."

"Sheesh," He says looking at the different outfits from leotards to matching sets and even dresses. He was imagining her in some of them after really seeing her body for the first time in that swimsuit earlier.

"You can't see the outfit for the London show," she says grabbing her phone quickly before he can swipe again.

"I told you though. It makes sense. The colors go with the theme of the album. You mixed all the sounds of the diaspora and the Pan-African colors represent the diaspora well. Red for the blood shed of all Africans and the blood that unites us, Black for Black people, and green for the land of Africa, and gold that is the true wealth of Africa."

"Marcus Garvey," she says knowing exactly where that came from. "You read the book I suggested already?" Anthony nods his head.

"I like to read as part of my training. Boxing is more than the physical. It's the mental as well and reading helps. I also read that book, Walker's Appeal. Quite interesting."

"40% physical, another 40% mental, 20% hunger," she recalls what her Dad would tell his fighters. She also thinks about for once somebody actually read something she suggested. Abella isn't going to call her friends dumb, but they're not exactly into the things she's into. They both realized they have quite a lot in common once they started talking.

Anthony isn't surprised she knows about most of the stuff she does. Her Dad spoke about these things a lot in his career and he clearly passed the knowledge to his daughter. He wanted to ask if her father was really a Black Panther like they say, but when her father was brought up earlier he could see her body language slightly change. He knows they barely know each other and are getting to know one another, so he can't ask certain things right now.

Abella looks back at her phone holding her phone close to herself, so he can't see. She skips past all the outfits for London since she has multiple dates there. "Oh, this one. If my designer can execute this and it comes out right," she says letting him see her phone again. Anthony was honestly flattered that she listened to his suggestion.

The fact that she's so enthusiastic about this made him smile. "You're excited."

"I think I'm more so proud. I'm nervous about not selling out every venue, but I'm proud of what I've created. I came up with the designs for all my outfits, designed the stage, picked all my dancers myself, my band, the backup singers, came up with most of the choreo. It's my first big tour because I cancelled the tour for my first album after my father passed. I don't know," she ends it with thinking she's rambling.

"Why do you think you won't sell out the venues? This album did more than good overseas."

"I mean, I'm doing good but am I an international act? I don't know that yet. Shoot, you could give me some tips. You've fought in stadiums in front of 90,000 people. I'm an arena performer right now. Mostly 20,000 capacity venues. I'm trying to get on that level. I might need Eddie Hearn to promote me," she jokes.

"Eddie could sell a car to a blind man if he wanted," Anthony says shaking his head.

"This is the one I'm really excite for," Abella says pointing at her screen. He stops looking at the design a little while longer when a notification for a text comes through on her phone at the top of the screen. The text says it from Jermell.

Anthony can't see that Abella rolls her eyes. He minded his business and swiped to the next picture. He did think about how his friend, Leon, mentioned that he thinks she dates him. He said it after the shooting because the story was that Jermell Charlo and Trouble Reynolds were fighting over her. Anthony doesn't listen to stories and rumors though.

Anthony really didn't think it was true once they had that first FaceTime conversation. He doesn't see a woman who is dating someone talking to another man for an hour, especially another boxer.

"You guys ready to order?" Penelope says coming up the table. Neither of them realize how close they're sitting in the spacious booth until she comes back. They both say yes as Abella scoots across the leather seats back to the other side of the booth then they order their food.

When the food comes Abella reaches her hand across the table, "We have to pray first." Anthony knew she was religious when she quoted from the Bible on FaceTime. Religion couldn't escape her when she has a Nigerian father and a Black mother from a old-fashioned, southern family.

There's no way around church and religion growing up in a Nigerian household. You'll get beat before you'll ever be able to miss church and Anthony knows that. In theory, Abella would be the perfect girl to bring home to your religious, Nigerian mother. Unless she's super religious and shuns secular music your mother will love her. She's Black, even better with Nigerian roots, she's educated, she has her own money, and add to the list religious.

Even though Anthony had to break it down to his mother that he's not dating Abella and it's just a rumor, she wasn't buying it. She always felt like Anthony was so secretive in his love life. She couldn't remember the last time he brought a girl home to meet her. So when a friend showed her pictures the paparazzi took of them the day they toured New York, she was sure her son is lying to her.

Abella finishes the short prayer as they both say amen and let go of each other's hand. "Did you grow up in the church?" Anthony asks while unwrapping his silverware.

"Surprisingly no. I wouldn't say grow up. I wouldn't consider myself a religious person up until a year ago. You know, I came back to it. I'm still a work in progress."

"I think everybody is."

"True. The work in progress me was looking forward to you knocking Jarrell Miller's big bobble head ass out," she says with a chuckle.

"I'm hoping one day we'll fight in the future. He needs to be knocked out for that big mouth of his."

"I can't really be mad at Jarrell's big mouth because if he wouldn't have opened it we wouldn't have met," she says with a slight smile and shrug.

Anthony pauses from eating to look at her. "Now I think you're giving him too much credit."

Abella laughs at his unconvinced face. "I mean, would you have DM'd me if he didn't put our names in the same conversation? I doubt it."

"I was already following you. Let's not act like you ever replied to my private messages before then. You ignored me on several occasions."

Abella thinks about the other messages she saw in her inbox when she finally replied to the one sending condolences for her aunt's death. "I rarely check my DM's," she offers as a reason and excuse.

"I can when you've opened my messages, but don't reply," he says not buying it. "We probably would've still met that day at Madison Square Garden with Kugan."

"Maybe. Everything happens the way it's supposed to." They both look at each other for a second then go back to eating.

Once they're done eating they walk back to the hotel that Abella's staying at. Anthony needed to get home, so he can continue resting because he has to spar tomorrow and Abella was ready for a much needed nap after a long day of shooting.

They reach the front of the hotel and Abella turns towards Anthony with a smile. "I'm glad we could hang out. I know it's crazy right now."

"Very," He says blowing out air.

Abella puts her arms out offering a hug and he accepts. "Good luck with training and your fight. I'll see you June 1st in New York," she says pulling away from him. "Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Get some rest," she adds with a wave before going into the hotel.

As Anthony walks away he feels a sense of relief. He feels ten times less stressed then he has been all week after only two hours away. That's the feeling he couldn't put his finger on around her. She puts everyone around her at ease. She's nice to everyone, her smile makes others smile, and she's easy going. Something every person needs...

Errol sits on the Queen sized bed of a Houston hotel suite he shares with Valor waiting for her to finish getting ready. She could very well know what time something starts, but she'll wait until the hour before to start getting ready knowing she's slow. She has to do makeup, hair, dance, and change outfits at least twice..

"Come yo ass on," Errol yells so she can hear him as he puts his Cuban link bracelet on.

"I'm coming," she says emerging out of the suite's bathroom in her outfit swinging her 40 inch ponytail over her shoulder.

"Looking country as fuck," he says with a laugh looking at her cowboy boots that go up to her knees on her short legs.

"It fits the theme. Which purse?" She asks holding up a black purse and a white one. They're the same ones just different colors. They both match, so he didn't understand the big dilemma. Just grab one and go.

"Which ever one gets you out of here faster," he says looking at the iced out watch on his wrist for the time. "The one that already has your stuff in it and you don't have to move all your shit into it."

"I don't know why you're rushin'. I can guarantee it won't start on time."

"Jermall is already here to pick us up. He's down there waitin'," he says tapping her butt walking around her.

She grabs her Chanel purse putting it on her shoulder grabbing her phone. "Let me call to check on Vee and Vy," she says referring to their daughters, Ivy and Violet. She walks behind Errol towards the door about to call his mother who's watching them.

"You called them earlier today," Errol says holding the door for her to walk through first.

"I wanna talk to them before they go to bed," she replies as Errol walks out next making sure the door is shut.

Errol shakes his head as she talks on the phone with his mother asking her questions. Valor will complain she needs a vacation from the kids then she'll want to call them every hour that she's gone. Even though it's only Houston for the weekend when you have kids you'll take any small break you can get.

Tonight is the release party for Megan's new mixtape, Fever.

The past couple of months each person in their friend group had something going on. It's a true testament to how hard they're all working. They went from Abella's album coming out, Errol's fight, now Megan's mixtape releasing, then the twins both having fights in the summer. And every event they try to support each other.

"Damn, what's takin' y'all so long?" Jermall asks coming down the hotel hallway...

"Man, you know Valor take forever to get ready like she's walkin' the runway or some shit," Errol says dapping Jermall who turns right back around walking with them.

"And still look like a chihuahua," Mall says joking on Valor. He laughs as she flicks him off. "Got me coming all the way up here. I thought y'all was tryna get a quickie in and I don't have the time for that. This Houston traffic ain't a joke tonight."

Errol sees Jermell often because they have the same coach and he's been helping him train for his upcoming fight at the end of June. It's Jermall who he hasn't seen in almost two months because he's in Houston being a family man and training for his fight.

"My man had his first pay-per-view fight and now you dripping in ice," Jermall says with a laugh looking at Errol's chains as they walk.

"Y'all can't be the only ones shining. You good?" Errol asks Jermall.

"Yeah. Finally got the house I wanted in Houston with Chantel and the kids. We're doing some small renovations, but it's nice. Y'all should come by and see before you leave."

"I got you. Finally getting shit together with Channy?" Errol asks with a laugh.

Jermall can't help but laugh too. When he's mad at her, he goes to the extreme claiming he's done knowing good and well he's not. He's been with her since middle school and that's not changing. "Man, I got hit with reality. That Vegas wedding really didn't mean shit because in Texas we're common law married any damn way. I'll do it right one day."

"You should. Y'all got mad kids together."

Jermall smacks his lips. "We have one more than you and Valor. Quit exaggerating." Jermall and Errol both have kids, but Jermall has all boys while he has all girls. Errol always says he can't hang out with dudes who don't take care of their kids.

That's his biggest pet peeves when it comes to men. And he doesn't mean just financially, he means actually spending quality time with them. He can't stand a deadbeat.

It comes from the fact that he not only grew up with his father in his life, but his parents are still together. His father, Errol Sr., kept him in every activity he could. If you ask his father to talk about his son, he would get choked up and on the verge of tears because they're so close. They're best friends. Errol Sr. is the reason he continued boxing and now he's here... A professional boxer.

Once they get to the venue of the release party that has a ranch style theme they're told to wait outside until Megan can make her grand entrance. Valor had already walked off to talk to some girls she knows leaving Errol to talk to Jermall.

"Errol!" He hears making him look around trying to see who's calling his name. It doesn't take long to see who it is when his eyes land on Rejoice and she motions him over...

He had two choices... Ignore her or just talk to her. It's obvious he can't keep avoiding her. It's best to have a short conversation and maybe get some of this awkwardness out of the air. He stuffs his hands into his jean pockets telling Jermall he'll be back before making his way over to her.

He stops a few feet in front of her asking, "What are you doing here? I didn't know you and Megan are cool."

"We are now. I was apart of the Spotify team that curated this event. All the hotties you see walking around for tonight, my agency brought them in." Errol looks around seeing half naked women in bootie shorts, boots, and the same shirt walking around. They all looked to be Instagram models.

"Is that why you called me over for?" He asks feeling like she's wasting his time.

"No, I want to talk but this isn't the best time. Maybe when we both get back to Dallas we can meet for lunch to talk.." she suggests.

"Talk about what?" He didn't see anything they need to talk about. He's moved on with his life. He doesn't even see any need in having closure after all these years. He's been with Valor for five years and if he was going to get closure with Rejoice, he would've wanted it before he got with her.

The year between it ending with Rejoice and his relationship with Valor beginning was a long one. Rejoice left him high and dry for California in May. He represented America in the Summer Olympics in June until he lost in the quarter finals. By November he turned professional and had his first fight. He met Valor the following January and they started dating by that summer.

Although he wasn't a big name yet people told him to be weary of any woman coming in his life potentially looking for a come up. The first thing Errol appreciated about Valor is that she wasn't like Rejoice. She actually supported his boxing. All 13 fights he had that year, she showed up and cheered him on. She didn't make excuses of why she's so busy making it clear what's more important than him.

Errol looks at Rejoice. Her outside might've changed, but he could tell her inside hasn't. "So we can talk to clear the air in case we're in the same room again and you know we will be."

"I don't got shit to clear up with you to be honest. You stayed away for all these years and you can keep doin' that. You ain't botherin' me," he says nonchalantly. Errol could say something so blunt, but still have the demeanor that he wasn't bothered or upset.

"I'm sorry," Rejoice blurts out catching Errol off guard. He heard about how she finally apologized to Abella and even paid her back the money she stole. He never thought she would apologize to him and he wasn't expecting her to.

He arches his brow as she continues, "I'm sorry for how I ended things. I'm sorry I doubted you when it came to boxing and your career. I was scared. I was in school and working, meanwhile you were boxing and I was supposed to support that with no assurance it'll pay off one day. I started to think you were playing around because you had been boxing for 8 freaking years and you were still an amateur. What was I supposed to think?"

He furrows his eyebrows. That showed how much she didn't want to see or believe his vision to be a boxer. It wasn't like he was feeding her pipe dreams while not making any accomplishments. At 19 he won the Golden Gloves. Then he won the national amateur welterweight championships three years in a row. He also reached the quarter-finals at the World Championships at 21. At the end of their relationship he was training for the olympics, but she was too busy to care or notice.

Errol laughs under his breath lowering his head trying to hold in the hysterical laugh he wants to let out. "You got some other things to apologize about," he says looking her in the eyes. Even if she missed his matches or didn't celebrate his wins that's not what he cared about.

"Excuse me? What else?" She asks playing dumb.

"You becoming a webcam girl behind my back. You wanna stick to this it wasn't cheating story, but I feel differently. When you're keeping secrets and showing your whole pussy to other niggas, that's cheating."

"Here you go!" She says throwing her hand up while standing up. "Quit being dramatic. I never slept with any of those men. Shit, I never met up with those men. I had a sugar daddy and played with myself on camera for some money. Big whoopty doo! You know if I would've told you your broke ass would've accepted the money if I offered it to you. I had to do what I had to. Lord knows I had nobody to help me."

"Nobody?" Errol asks in disbelief.

"Yes, nobody. My Daddy damn sure wasn't sending me money from Nigeria like he promised. You know what kind of mother I had. Selfish. She would get all that lawsuit money and keep it for herself. I worked part time while in school, but it wasn't enough. Financial aid wasn't enough."

"I'm calling bullshit because if you would've just asked your uncle and aunt instead of stealing it from Abella, they would've tried to help. They looked at you like another daughter. They treated you like their own child."

"Another person raised in a two-parent home of the suburbs trying to tell me who and what I did and didn't have," she says laughing obnoxiously.

"Man, fuck outta here! You'll find a million excuses of why it was right for you to be a hoe. You leaving me was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm not broke anymore, so quit tryna be funny. Ain't no tellin' what you're doing for money now. You prolly ain't broke financially, but you're broken spiritually. Stay away from me. I'm good off you. Ya pussy can probably still be found on Pornhub.com as we speak," he says before walking away from her.

"Errol!" He hears her call after him, but he keeps walking going back over to Jermall who is now standing by Jermell who arrived.

"You good? That looked a little heated," Jermall asks watching the entire thing.

"Yeah, I'm good," Errol says shaking off any sign that the exchange was able to get to him. He looks over at Valor a few feet away to see if she saw. She glanced at him, but go right back to talking to her friends. "What's up, bro?" EJ says dapping Jermell.

"Nothing. I ain't even gon' lie I wasn't gonna come. Then I thought about how Meg bring out all the fine chicks," he says looking around with a laugh.

"To be single. To be able to look around freely without worry of getting your eyes popped out," Jermall says dramatically making us laugh.

"Y'all know if Abella's coming?" Jermell asks.

Jermall shakes his head while Errol says, "I don't think so. Last time I talked to her she was going to Miami then going straight to New York after that."

Abella put a lot of things on hold in order to stay home and be around family, but now she had to get back to work. She didn't want to miss Megan's release party tonight, but her best friend understands. She's making it up big time by letting Megan open up for her at her Madison Square Garden show in less than two weeks.

"I swear she still mad at me from the night of the shooting. It's been how long? How many times do I have to apologize?" Jermell asks.

"I don't think she's still mad," Jermall says thinking on it.

"How is she not still mad when she pretty much been icing me? For the past two months she doesn't talk to me like she used to. We used to talk damn near everyday even if it was for only a minute," Jermell explains. "Hell, she don't even pay my ass attention in the group chats I'm in."

Errol didn't mean to laugh, but he does a little chuckle. He isn't lying. The man could say the funniest thing and have everybody laughing and getting reactions while she's nowhere to be found.

Jermell and Errol both shrug. Errol wasn't going to say that as her best friend he still talks to her everyday and rub it in his face. Even if it's just one You good? text message. Instead he gives Jermell an excuse, "She's been busy. She has a lot going on. Preparing for this big show, her tour, she bought a house, she re-opened her Dad's gym, music videos and promoting the album. All you gotta do is talk to her straight up. You know she won't hold anything back."

Jermell smacks his lips. "Man, whatever. I'm always the bad guy. Everything's always my fault. Mutha fuckas act like I don't have my own shit going on too. I have a fight I have to win. A point to prove after my loss. I have to get my belt back."

"Bell just wants the best for you. I think that tough love, the shooting, and the loss were a good thing. You're more focused than you've ever been if you ask me. You ain't drinking and acting crazy anymore. You're going to win the rematch," Errol tells Jermell confidently.

He's seen it first hand in the gym. Jermell has that hunger again. "I gotta thank you, bro. I've  been putting a lot of work in at the gym and you've been right there in camp with me. Sparring with me and everything," he says sticking his hand out as they slap hands and hug.

Honestly, Errol didn't think he would get so close to the Charlo brothers. They were all young when they met, but they were on totally different wavelengths. Errol has always been all about family and boxing. Meanwhile, the brothers indulged in a flashier lifestyle from early on. Especially Jermell because he was single and even moved to Los Angeles for a little while.

On top of that the brothers had tempers, were a bit cocky, and very stubborn. They've fallen out and beefed with many boxers including people Errol's still cool with like Adrien Broner and Gervonta Davis. Errol stayed out of it and tried not to choose sides because they're all grown men. Even with the beef with the Reynolds' brothers; he stays out of that even though he was dragged into the night of his fight when the van got shot up. He still wants no parts. With age Jermall calmed down and became more humble and family orientated. Now it's time for Jermell to catch up.

Errol doesn't do all that talking and so-called beefing with boxers. It's not his thing. Regardless, they're his brothers and not only should Black fighters stick together, but Texas fighters.

"Aw, brotherly love," Jermall teases as the two let go.

"Shit, in a minute folks bout to be calling me Jermill Charlo. We triplets in this bitch," Errol jokes making them laugh. "I'm in town until Tuesday. What y'all tryna get into for y'alls birthday tomorrow?"

"Damn, it is our birthday tomorrow. We gettin' old. 29," Jermall says stretching his back side to side dramatically.

"Old ain't the word. At least y'all got y'all little families. I'm tryna get like y'all and find my lady. I need a stepmom for my son." When both Jermall and Errol laugh, Jermell furrows his eyebrows. "What?"

"If yo ass would stop being in denial about like Abella and just told her maybe–" Jermall starts.

"I'm not in denial. I just didn't see a point in telling her if I knew I wasn't ready to settle down myself. That girl been through mad shit with niggas. She always talkin' about focusing on her career and not dating lately, so why even say anything now that she's single?"

"If you say so. Closed mouths don't get fed. You wait too long and she gon' get hungry again, but another nigga will feed her while you're still starving with an empty plate," Errol says making Jermall laugh.

"What?" He asks in confusion.

"I'm serious," Errol says with a shrug. He doesn't see her being single very much longer.

"Anyway, I say come over to my spot tomorrow and we go from there. We old now, so I don't know about the club. Tonight is already a stretch. Maybe dinner. We'll see," Jermall says.

Finally Megan makes her grand entrance coming in riding a horse. "She really think she's Jessie from Toy Story or somebody," Errol jokes. Once she arrived, they can all finally go inside.

Errol finds Valor walking next to her. He knows that she saw the exchange between him and Rejoice, but knowing her she won't bring it up until later. She'll make you think she didn't care or notice then does a surprise attack later. Valor wastes no time dragging Errol to the photo backdrop with a professional photographer, so they can get some pictures together.

He knows the pictures will be on Instagram by tomorrow. He's never been into posting his whole life on social media which includes his significant other, kids, and family. People think they can say whatever on the internet. And it's always the boxing fans trying to talk shit about a someone's girl. They equate your girl's looks to how successful you are.

He finds it funny that they'll talk about an athlete's girl negatively even if she's the girl who's been down the from the start. If you don't have the exotic looking girl off a magazine cover they tell you to 'upgrade.' Errol doesn't believe in going to grab the first light skin chick with a fake ass and a flat tummy tea sponsorship to be on his arm.

After taking pictures they go over to Megan to greet her. "Congrats, bro," he says jokingly before hugging her. "I think you're taking the cowboy initiative too serious though," he says looking at her outfit.

He steps back to let Valor hug her next. "And she looks damn good!" Valor compliments making Megan put a hand on her hip then turn and do another one..

Errol shakes his head. All his friends are beyond extra then there's him, always laidback. Errol met Megan through Abella. When Abella used to come home for holiday breaks while in college she would usually have Megan with her after they became best friends. Summer, winter, or spring, Megan was right there with her. Errol was Abella's male best friend, while Megan is her female best friend.

When Errol first met Megan she was a tomboy. Actually, both her and Abella were. Now it's weird to have all these guys he knows lusting over them now that they're famous. They both went from one of the guys to the guys asking Errol, 'Who is that?' about one of them. The number of men that ask him to put them on with one of the women is crazy. He still looks at them as just Bell and Meg aka the Twin Towers he jokingly calls them.

"Where are your cowboy boots and hat, friend? You ain't a real Texan," Meg says to Errol.

"I ain't wearing no big ass boots to look like Spongebob."

"You right. The boots would be up to your neck with your short ass," Meg shoots back.

"Aiight, chill on me," Errol says as Valor laughs. "And when did you start working with Rejoice?" He asks.

"She said she had connections at Spotify and she wasn't lying. She throws events, so I said why not," she says shrugging.

"I know Abella forgave her, but I would still watch your back with her. She used people and takes advantage of anybody she thinks is an easy target."

"Oh, trust me, I don't trust her with my left big toe. I just needed this event put together. This isn't a friendship thing. I'm using her just as much as she's probably using me. I needed something done and she wanted the job." Errol nods his head in understanding. He looks in the distance to see Rejoice talking to a light skin girl with blonde hair. She looks over at him as they lock eyes then they both look away.

Errol and Valor are finally back at their hotel after a long night at Megan's 'hottie ranch' after hours of music and drinking. As soon as they're back in the suite Errol is making his way to the couch to sit down letting out a long sigh. Valor looks at him with a chuckle dropping her purse on the bed. "Old man can't hang anymore?"

"At all. Meg always want somebody to swallow some damn liquor like it's water. Drive da boat, drive da boat," he says mimicking her voice. "The boat is parked. The anchor is down. Maybe I wanna go fishing or some shit. Stay in one spot," he says putting his arm on his forehead laying his head back.

Valor laughs while shaking her head before sitting on an ottoman in front of the couch Errol is sitting on. He moves his arm then opens his eyes before lifting his head and looking at her...

"What was your ex talking to you about?"

The night had been so long Errol completely forgot about that part. He wasn't going to let Rejoice being there make him feel some type of way. "She apologized. Half ass apologized only admitting to one part of her mistakes until I made it clear I wasn't letting her off the hook."

"Interesting," Rejoice says while pulling off her left boot.

"What do you really wanna say?" Errol asks already knowing she wants to say something.

"You and I only started dating a year after you two broke up. On top of that y'all dated for six years. Y'all were high school sweethearts and that was damn near your first everything. This wasn't some little puppy love. I don't know how to feel about you not accepting her apology and going on your way because it makes me think that you never got over her fully."

Errol furrows his eyebrows. "I didn't accept the apology because it was bullshit. Not because I still have feelings or care about her. I've been over her. Those six years don't mean shit when she spent two of them lying and conniving. We've been together five years going on six. Same time, way more love. I think this tops some high school shit that I thought was love."

"Does it?" She asks looking at Errol. She wanted to see his response.

"Hell yeah! You had my kids. We have a family. You've been there since the beginning of my professional career. Every training camp, every fight, every win. Whatchu think I fight for?"

Valor shrugs. "I don't know, money or because you're good at it."

"Yeah, that, but also my family. Not just my parents and siblings. You're my family now. For you and the kids. I don't give a fuck about a girl from back in the day who couldn't see my potential. You saw it, so you're all that matters." Finally Valor cracks a smile like he wanted. "Don't let this start being a problem in our relationship."

"I'm not. I just wanna know why now? She's been back for how long? She could've apologized when she came to your fight or when she first came back and you saw her at the hospital. Shit, even her mother's funeral. It's weird timing. That's all."

"Yeah, it is," he thinks to himself. For the past two months he hasn't seen Rejoice. The last time he saw her was the night of his fight before the shooting. She got grazed, so she was the only one to go to the hospital. It was natural for him to be concerned about her, but he didn't reach out or anything.

Errol heard that she's been hanging with Abella and Megan, but he hasn't seen Rejoice himself. She could've easily reached out to him if she really wanted to apologize that bad. It was as simple as Abella calling or texting him then him pulling up to Mrs. Toni's house. Then again Errol is known to become a recluse after a fight. He'll spend the month after and then some trying to spend as much time as possible with his family and going on vacation.

Errol couldn't help but think that Rejoice only apologized as an attempt to manipulate him for a later plan. That's just how she is. She always has a motive behind everything.

Errol shakes it off not wanting to think or talk about Rejoice anymore. "I've been thinking," I start making Valor look at me in wonder. "Whatchu think about getting married?" When Valor shrugs her shoulders Errol furrows his eyebrows. "That's all the response I get?"

She chuckles. "You've been drinking tonight. I don't have time for you getting my hopes up then when I bring it up tomorrow you don't remember shit. If you're gonna do it, do it. I told you before, knocking me up twice doesn't mean I won't leave your ass. A baby doesn't make anybody stay. Be upfront on whether you want marriage or not."

"I'm trying to. I'm trying to see where your head is it at now since you made it clear you didn't want to get married just because you were pregnant before. Now they're two and three."

"Pre-nup?" She asks as its been talked about before.

"You know there's going to be some type of paperwork involved."

"This is Texas, so I get half anyway on top of the child support," she says tapping her chin.

"Don't be plotting your lick already."

She laughs. "I'm kidding. I don't care about the money and you know that. I'm not rushing you. I already told you I won't be 30 years a baby mama. Do it when you're ready, but don't I'm not waiting a damn eternity," she says honestly.

Errol takes that in with a laugh. He gets up from the couch walking around the table in between them leaning down and kissing her before saying, "I love you."

"I love you too, big head," she responds back with a smile.

Errol refuses to let Rejoice be a problem and ever fuck up what they have...

__________

Anthony & Abella getting to know one another better?

More coming out about Rejoice? Should Errol forgive her?

This is a lonnng chapter, but please still VOTE & comment❤️🥊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.5K 1.6K 62
"I already killed your mother, Cam." As the words left my enemy's mouth like a mocking sneer, I growled under my breath at the mention of my old name...
102K 2.8K 62
MATURE | 18+ "we're not supposed to be doing this." august said, breathless, basking in the proximity. ares smirked. "who cares? i'm in charge here."...
747 51 20
A talented fighter with Olympic goals, Talan Swifthawk only has two loves, boxing and Amalia. Forced into decisions to reach his Olympic dream, his p...
26.6K 451 28
Everybody has their own idealisations of what certain places are like. New York; the city where dreams come true. Rome; the city where you're swept...