Spy School: Clash of Spies

Av smh204

There's a new girl at Spy School who is as good, maybe even better, than the great Erica Hale. Erica, obvious... Mer

Capture the Flag
Audrey
Target Practice
Spying on Friends? Again?
Note
Finale
Truth
Operation Yeasty Meerkat
Sketchy White Van
Tower of Actual Terror
That distant, bitter relative
'The Interrogator'
Why do you have your I-figured-out-their-plan look on?
Thermonuclear Weapons
Fatal Mistake
Bad Fortune Cookie
The Office (Not the TV show)
Rump Towers
I've Been Tagged
Creepy Playground
Betrayal...?
Bombs With A Side of Betrayal
Last Seconds on Earth
Duke It Out
Family is Everything
Road Trip
Authors Final Note

Everything is Okay

3.3K 66 242
Av smh204

I am so sorry this took so long. I finally finished all of my finals (I ended with a 3.8 GPA so I'm happy) and I could finally take this story off the back burner and finish it already! Good luck to everyone who has or has to take them. It is a 3.5K ish monster, but it is the final chapter of this story! It's a total bittersweet moment. Your support means everything to me and thank you for being patient. I hope it satisfies you and ends in a way that makes you happy. For the final time *cries* please enjoy.

I drifted off again. This time, when I woke up, the car was stopped at a streetlamp. We were in what seemed to be a small town with giant trees surrounding us. It was very beautiful. Audrey was driving now, while Erica was dozing off in the passenger seat. They must have switched when I went back to sleep.

I noticed it had been almost five hours since we left DC. I was groggy but didn't want to sleep anymore, so I didn't mess up my sleep schedule.

"Are we there yet?" I whined, acutely aware of how much I was sounding like a toddler.

I saw Audrey smirk in the mirror, "We're only fifteen minutes away. Don't go back to sleep."

I sat up, still super bleary and decided I should be a good friend and wake Erica up. Without mercy, I started kicking the back of her seat, like those annoying kids who sit behind you on the airplane.

The seat started to shake and Erica jolted awake, swearing at me. Audrey snorted to disguise her laughter.

We finally turned off the main road and onto a barely used dirt path. The road was mainly gravel so we bumped along until we got to the end of the road. In front of us, there was a beautiful log cabin. It was only one story, but it had a wrap around deck and wood paneling. Behind it, you could see the mountains of Virginia. It took my breath away.

I wasn't the only one, "It's gorgeous!" Audrey exclaimed.

"Yeah," Erica said suspiciously, "How did they manage to afford it?"

Just as she said this, Zoe and Mike came out of the house, waving enthusiastically.

I jogged up to them, "Hey guys."

"Ben! How'd it go?" Mike called out.

"How the heck did you afford this?" Erica called before I could answer.

"Come in and I'll let you know!" Zoe waved us inside. I went in without protest.

It was even more magnificent inside. There was a stone fireplace, a vintage rug in the middle, and the wood paneling continued inside for the walls and ceilings. To finish off the cabin look, there were game trophies on the wall. I could see some moose heads, a few deer and even a grizzly bear trophy. It was supposed to be cool, I guess, but to me it was unnerving.

I plopped myself down on the couch in the living room. Audrey and Erica followed my lead.

Zoe and Mike sat across from us on the fireplace.

"It was so lucky we got this house! We were in town, trying to find a place to stay and this wealthy couple comes up to me. She says they were supposed to stay in the cabin for three more days but wanted to leave early. Apparently, the owner was going to charge them a crazy amount for leaving early, so she told us we're welcome to stay here free of charge for three days. Her husband even offered to get a cleaning service the last day, so we don't have to clean the house when we're done. So we have the house!" Zoe explained.

We all nodded. We had thwarted SPYDER. I don't know if it had sunk in yet, but I felt it in my body. I was exhausted but I remembered something that I totally forgot about during the SPYDER business.

"Um... can I talk to Mike and Zoe alone?" I asked, eyeing Erica and Audrey.

Erica gave me a dubious look but said, "Sure, I need to lie down. Because someone woke me up when I was trying to sleep." I shot her a taunting smile and she rolled her eyes. Audrey said nothing, but stood up and left as well.

"What did you want to talk to us about?" Mike's voice shook a little, sounding a little nervous. Zoe wasn't much better. Unfortunately, this just fueled my suspicions against them. They said some very strange things when they thought no one was listening. At the time, I thought they could be working with SPYDER, but nothing happened later that hinted a mole. So now I was wondering what they were about.

"Wait where are Murray, Chip, and Jawa?"

"Jawa and Chip are forcing Murray on a run on a trail around the lake outside. What's going on?" Mike asked.

"I want to know what you both were talking about on the balcony of the motel when you were alone."

"Excuse me?" Zoe snapped, "You were eavesdropping on our conversation?! That's so rude! That was meant to be private!"

"Well, you shouldn't say stuff to Mike like 'How long can we be able to pull this off?' and stuff like 'The secret's safe for now.' What I am supposed to think?!" I snarled back.

Mike shared a look with Zoe, "Ben, what do you think is happening?"

"You know exactly what I thought! And what about you bringing Erica hot chocolate at three in the morning?" I couldn't hide my anger anymore.

"You heard that?" Mike asked, incredulous.

"Oh, you didn't want me too? Because you were flirting with her because you know that I like Erica?" Sarcasm was dripping from my words.

"Well, how was I supposed to know that? Apparently, you had a sweet kiss with Audrey. So you don't like Audrey? Pardon me then!" Mike was getting mad as well.

"Look," Zoe interpreted, "this isn't helping anything. Mike, should we tell him about our plans?"

I still couldn't hide my surprise, "You mean the plans that, I quote, 'Failed too many times to count,' the plans that 'Will go into action?' Yes, please tell me!"

"Okay, um..." Mike sent a coy smile in Zoe's direction, "We're officially a couple."

That I did not expect. I expected something along the lines of "I've been spying on you for an enemy organization." I mean, their news is a happy surprise.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it though. There was a point where I had a crush on Zoe, but Mike was right. I had to pick someone to crush on. I couldn't decide everyone is off-limits. But overall, I was happy for them.

"Wow, I was not expecting that. Um... congrats. But that doesn't explain you guys were acting like that." I wasn't sure how to respond.

Zoe nodded, "I guess I'll explain it. Mike and I had a plan for a long time to get you and Erica together. And we were close so many times. We only became a couple three or four weeks ago. So we decided I was to be a jerk to you to get you mad at me. Mike was supposed to push Erica into your direction by being a good wingman. We didn't mean it to come off as flirty, as you said. It was a ploy to get you together. It was meant to be and it was sad to see you with Audrey since I can tell Erica is meant for you and you like her. So I was supposed to be kinda a jerk to you and Mike was supposed to point Erica in your direction. It was nothing more than that. We want you guys to be happy. But it probably doesn't matter because you evidently like Audrey since you made out with her. And we are a couple, so I was hoping you didn't like me anymore."

My eyebrows shot up and my eyes widened. I didn't know what to say. First, I was thankful for my friends trying to get me and Erica together but I didn't even know who I liked more: Audrey or Erica. But now I can eliminate Zoe since she's obviously is happy with Mike.

Part of me was wishing that the plan had worked. There was a loud and nagging voice in the back of my head was pointing towards Erica, since she didn't betray me. Even if she uses me without telling me what was going on. But she is so pretty...

Mike's voice snapped me out of my trancelike state, "So... are you mad?"

I was still a bit mad, but their intentions were good. And I couldn't stay mad at my friends for a long time.

I let out a big breath, "No, I'm not mad. Erica and I left things off at a weird place and we haven't really talked since. And I've barely even talked to Audrey since we got caught kissing. I don't really know what to do."

Zoe looked at me sympathetically and came to sit next to me. She put her hand on my knee and said softly, "Just talk to them. If I were them, I would be as confused as you are. They probably want to talk to you. Go up to them and talk. I'm a girl, I know that kind of stuff. Communication is key. And you might want to clear the air before our lives get hectic again."

I smiled at her appreciatively, "Thanks. I think I'll go talk to Audrey before I know what I want to say to Erica."

Zoe nodded, "Good idea. Mike and I'll go find the boys outside to leave the empty house for you. Right, Mike?"

Mike looked up, startled, "Huh? Um... yep, we'll let you talk in private. And Ben? Thanks for not being mad at me." He smiled and they took the backdoor out.

I took a deep breath and went into the kitchen. I found Audrey leading against the counter, munching on some chips. She saw me come in and offered the sour cream and onion bag.

"Want one?"

I gratefully took a chip, "Thanks."

"So I'm guessing you're not here to grab a snack. What's up?" Audrey looked down on me with a glint in her eyes.

She had really pretty eyes. They were ice blue and gray, and glittered in the sunlight. Her hair was super pretty too, with long, blonde hair. But I had to stay on task. I've decided who I have a crush on.

"You're right, I'm not. I, actually, um... wanted to talk about... you know... that." I stuttered, still unsure about what to say.

The playful look in her eyes disappeared. She put the chip bag down and sat on the counter. I just stood there awkwardly.

"You're right. I wanted to talk to you about that as well. I just want to start this conversation, okay? I think you deserve that." She took a deep breath, "I know you heard my conversation with Erica earlier today. I want to say that I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or even join an enemy organization. I thought I had no choice then. I'm grateful you and Erica gave me a chance to change. But I'm sorry I used you for my benefit. I really did enjoy your company and that's basically what made me decided to switch sides. But I doubt that's what you wanted to talk about. I think you want to talk about that kiss."

As much as I tried to help it, my face started to warm up and turn red, "Yeah, I did. Was it real? Did you mean it?"

She let out a big breath, "I don't know what to say to not hurt your feelings. So I'll tell you the truth: I wanted to kiss you. I thought you were cute and innocent. But it didn't mean anything to me, relationship wise and I'm sorry if you thought that way or I lead you on. Truth be told, I thought we were going to die and if I was, I was going in style and happy. Isn't that the same reason Erica kissed you? To me, that kiss we had meant nothing. I hope we can continue to be friends though. I hope this doesn't ruin our relationship. I think you're a great guy, and for a while, I thought I had a crush on you but when I actually did kiss you, I felt nothing inside of me. Erica, however, I think did feel the sparks when she kissed you, but I don't know for sure. So, I'm sorry if you felt we had a future, but I don't feel that way. But I don't think you were hoping for a future in me. Am I wrong?"

I absorbed all of this information. I knew I should be mad at her, for using me and not liking me, but this actually made the conversation much easier.

"I did have a crush on you for a while. But my thoughts kept going back to Erica and I was very conflicted for a while. You have personality, but Erica... well... she's Erica. I knew her longer and already had a crush on her. I would say sorry for hurting your feelings, but I don't think I am. For once, I think we're on the same page. We liked each other for a while, but don't anymore. I decided that I choose Erica. I have a crush on Erica and kinda always had, but that thought got tested when you arrived. And that kiss... it felt great at the time. It was a much better kiss than Erica's peck on the lips. At that moment, I thought I knew that I had a crush on you. And I also thought I was going to die. And when we didn't, I thought I was going to die when Erica caught us."

Audrey's cheeks turned bright red, "Yeah, she has the worst timing. Did you talk to her about it?"

"No, but I want too. Plus, you're right. I didn't feel anything but excitement and nervousness about dying during that kiss. I felt something more with Erica. And wait... how do you know Erica felt sparks when she kissed me?" I asked, almost sounding a bit too giddy.

Audrey just gave me a conspicuous smile, "Just a hunch. You should talk to her."

"Yeah," I breathed, "I should."

"So we're good?" Audrey looked a little apprehensive, "We both used to like each other but not anymore? No more awkwardness between us? We can still be friends?"

"Yes," I was very sure of it, "Definitely. We can pretend it never happened."

"Oh, it happened," Audrey smirked, and then smiled in a playful manner, "I know what you mean. So we're officially done with all of this?"

"Yeah, we're done."

She smiled and suddenly jumped off the counter and grabbed me into a big hug. It took me by surprise but it was a welcome surprise. I think we both needed it. We quickly hugged then pulled away.

"Go outside and talk to Erica. And let Mike and Zoe know I'm happy for them." Audrey grabbed the chip bag again.

"How did you know?" I asked as I was leaving.

"Oh please," she said, rolling her eyes, "I blind man could see that. And plus, I'm a spy. It's my job to know things."

That sounded awfully familiar. I smiled in good nature and left the house, looking for Erica.

XXX

I didn't find Erica at first but found Jawa and Chip with Murray.

"Are you looking for Erica?" Jawa called out to me as I was walking down a dirt path behind the cabin.

"Yeah, where is she?" I jogged over to them.

"Down by the lake. She told us not to bug her, but I think she wants to talk to you." Chip said.

"Thanks," I quickly responded and walked down the rest of the path.

The path leads to a large clearing with a beautiful, placid lake. It was quite large but didn't have a single ripple in it. Trees lined the calm water, and it was almost silent out there, save for a single bird. It was so pretty, it took my breath away.

But more importantly, Erica was sitting on a log, watching the lake. I knew she heard me as I approached, but she didn't say anything. Unsure of what to do, I just sat next to Erica on the log and said nothing.

We stared at the calm lake together, not saying a word and not looking at each other.

Finally, I couldn't take the silence and turned to look at her.

"Look, I just wanted to say, I'm sorry."

"For what?" She asked, turning towards me.

"Everything," I said simply.

"Everything?" She asked, raising an eyebrow, "You mean kissing Audrey everything, right?"

"Um... yes." I admitted, then continued, "Look, it didn't mean anything! She pulled in for the kiss and then I... I don't know I kissed her back! The room was cold and I... well... I don't have any feelings for her."

Erica turned back towards the lake, "I know."

"Look, I know you're probably mad but-wait what? You know?" I asked incredulously.

"Yeah," was all she said.

"What?" I demanded.

"Look, Ben," she turned towards me, "I actually did talk to Audrey after the drive. We actually talked about the kiss and how she didn't feel any feelings towards you. She thought that you didn't have any either. I don't care either way. What you did with Audrey isn't my business."

"No, wait! No, Erica, I don't like Audrey. I like... you." I said sheepishly.

"Sure you do," Erica's words dripped in sarcasm.

"No, I do!" I said quickly, "I've had a crush on you since I met you."

"You used too. You don't have to lie to me. Then why would you kiss her so long and passionately?" Despite Erica's hard words, I could tell she was wondering that question. She was awful at social cues and being social in general.

"I thought I was going to die." I said weakly, "But that kiss really didn't mean anything. I didn't feel anything with Audrey. When I kissed you, I... really did feel something. I hope you did too." God, I sounded like a cheesy rom-com.

She turned towards the lake, "I suppose I should apologize to you. I'm sorry I used you and manipulated you throughout the mission. But I guess I should stop saying sorry since I do it every single time."

Wow, Erica. Nice smooth change of topics. "You're ignoring my comment. Did you feel anything when you kissed me?"

She was quiet for what felt like centuries. But quietly, I heard her whisper, "Yes, I did."

A sharp gasp escaped me. I couldn't stop the goofy smile on my face. "Really?" I said, sounding way too excited.

Erica turned towards me and smiled. Suddenly, she leaned towards me with her lips slightly parted. I felt myself getting drawn to her, like a moth to the light. Our lips made contact and we were kissing. It wasn't as rushed or as passionate as my kiss with Audrey. But I certainly felt something. I little spark shot up my body like a rocket.

"Yes, you little idiot," Erica muttered into my lips, sending vibrations throughout my body, "I mean it."

She quickly changed positions and her head was tilted the other way, giving me control. I kissed her and it just felt like the world was right again. I kept pursuing my lips and she followed my movements. It was wonderful and real.

Finally, we pulled away. My whole face was tomato red and she was just smirking at me. I felt the happiest I'd ever been.

Without a word, Erica turned back to look at the lake. The sky was blue, without a cloud. The lake was still calm and even the birds stopped chirping. I turned towards the lake as well.

I couldn't stop looking at how peaceful Erica seemed. I noticed her hand resting on her knee and, without thinking, I reached over and put my hand over hers.

She jolted in surprise but, without even sparing me a glance, laced her fingers through mine. We looked at each other and gave a big smile.

And at that moment, I knew everything was okay. Despite what life threw at us, I knew we would be okay. Everything would be okay.

Well, there you go. I hope the end was what you wanted and how you wanted it to end. And I honestly hope you really enjoyed the whole story. I had so much fun making it, and if you had at least half the fun reading it as I did writing it, I'd be happy. Again, I'm sorry it took so long. It would be cruel to ask for votes, but... as the last chapter? Please? I'm going to post an author's note sometime soon about my upcoming projects, thank yous, all that good gross mushy stuff. It may not be soon, as my last day is Friday and I have parties, graduation stuff, and end-of-the-year trips. But seriously, you guys are the best readers an author could ask for and I'm so grateful for that. I really hoped you enjoyed my story. And I just love the Spy School community!

Alright, before I get super cheesy and stuff (I'll save it for the author's note) thanks for everything. I love you all,

~Sojie204 :)

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

47.2K 468 21
After Ben, Erica and the gang finally defeat SPYDER once and for all, a sudden unexpected shock wave hits their brains upon reaching spy school. This...
41.2K 317 24
The sequel to Spy School: Life After School goes in depth on the relationship between Ben and Erica while a devious new villain plots to take control...
27.3K 371 15
Erica Hale gets recruited for a crucial mission at SPYDER, but something goes terribly wrong. Ben Ripley is shocked and a huge betrayal shakes Spy Sc...
6.9K 104 23
After Erica and Ben are told they can take time off, they accept it with full arms. They bring along Mike and Zoe for the ride while Cyrus supervises...