Aries

By firedance_icesong

[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her bes... More

Author's Note and Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 27.4
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.1
Chapter 32
Chapter 32.1
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Stolen page - 1
Aries' POV: before meeting her
Aries POV: Lyra
Aries POV: the flame that does not die
Aries POV: an act of cowardice
Aries POV: first kiss
Aries POV: ripped apart
Character Review
Next in series

Chapter 27.1

51.6K 2.3K 205
By firedance_icesong

Hello! I know! I have completed my model exams and I only have my finals left! Let's say, I am pretty stressed about it.

Also, Aries is eligible for wattys this year. Guess who is excited? It would be amazing if you could support Aries as much as you can by sharing it.

And to those who have inkitt account, it would be amazing if you could log in to that and vote for Aries via your website (not mobile version)

********

Cain Black grinned as the phone call ended. He just stared at the screen for a minute before throwing it on the bed of the room he had booked.

Training as the next beta was hard, especially if he was going to be a beta for a spoilt brat like Ethan Verir.

Just remembering that male caused him a headache.

Another message popped up. He glanced at the screen which showed him a message from his sister saying that a new family was joining their pack that day.  

Another message beneath it was from his girlfriend, his mate, Aurelia asking him when he would come home.

As much as he wanted to reply to his mate, he wanted to run and howl to the world about his happiness.

His friend Warren was having twins!

Both were girls and Cain could not wait to spoil them. After all, Likira had said that he would be the godfather of one and her friend, Zahra the godmother of the other.

Leaving the dim-lit room, he locked there door behind him. When he got to the reception, a female was standing in front of a computer.

"Beta Cain Black," he said. "Inform your officials that if they want to meet me, I have gone for a run."

The female who belonged to the North Pack nodded and made a note of it.

Leaving the complex built for visitors, Cain shredded his clothes before he morphed into his black wolf, that blended well with the night.

When the full moon graced him with a smile, he took off.

He ran the vast expanse of the grasslands this North Pack shared with the North Tribe.

Winds blew through his fur and the earth was solid and firm under his paws.

He did not know for how long he ran, but he occasionally paused to howl into the night, the happiness in his voice could not be unnoticed any anyone.

They were his friend's twins, but why did he feel like he was going to be an uncle to them? Not to mention, Likira was in fact, considering the name he chose.

Cain was a male who loved to star-gaze. And when Warren had told him the news that his mate was with a child, Cain had simply stared at the night sky and suggested the name Lyra. Would that not be a perfect name for a girl?

Only if he had a child of his own. Aurelia had said she was not ready and she wanted to live. Was she not living then?

Sighing, he trotted next to the stream that gave water to the flora and fauna of the grasslands. As he drank a few gulps of water, he saw something white and yellow shine beneath the waters.

Whining, he jumped into the water. That was all he knew.

**********

He opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was a high wall that had vines climbing over it with difficulty. Those vines had bright yellow and purple flowers. And hidden among them were the white flowers. He pressed his snout against the white flowers and sniffed.

By the Moon! The flowers wafted a smell familiar to the caramel cookies his father baked. It held a sense of home. He whined sadly. He missed home.

As much as he loved fighting with Rhaze, she was his sister and he would protect her from everything.

The scent of home would never lead him astray. If there was one path Cain would choose over and over again, it would the path that lead to his family. Not pack or work as most people would assume of him.

Confident in this, he traced the path.

It seemed to go on forever. But surprisingly, he was neither thirsty nor hungry. He was simply burning in curiosity.

What if this was a portal that connected time? What if the aliens that the humans from other continents believed were true? What if this was an ancient civilisation?

It could be a burrow of a mole or a rabbit. He snorted at his thought. Yeah, a rabbit or a mole would build this maze. This tall and large inside water.

Could be a beaver.

He shook his head. He was having conversations with himself now. This was terrible. He had to get out of here.

What if he was stuck here forever? He would miss his mate, his family, his friends and definitely Warren's children' birth.

He would never miss the last thing for anyone on this planet.

But would he miss Ethan? Never, Cain was better off without that asshole.

Only when he entered a clearing did he look up to see. Before him, a statue and the sky above was just dark like a blank canvas that he had seen in simulations Warren had once made him go through.

On his left was a female with her hands bound. Her hair like dark ink was tousled and her eyes glowed gold when the chains flared gold.

He inhaled sharply as he trotted close to her.

"Cain Black," she said. "Son of Evelyn Throne and Carter Black. The one who fought for another chance."

He never knew wolves could widen their eyes until that day.

How could she know? And what did she mean by one who fought for another chance?

The female smiled when the lights from the chains died. "I am Luna, Daughter of Qamar and Surva. Of course, I know who you are."

He lowered his head. He could literally feel her presence as a Goddess. She was the deity who was responsible for giving love. Contrast to what many thought, she was not just the deity who gave love between lovers, but someone who gave love between people, be it the one between friends, the one a family shares or the love a pack member would have for their leader.

"It's okay," she said in a soothing voice. "You don't need to shift. I can read minds. And you of all people need not bow to me."

Cain whined lowly and sat comfortably on his hind legs. Why should I not bow? Why are you here?

"Punishment," Luna said. "For a crime that I have committed."

She had ignored his other question and he let it be. Cain snorted. What could she have done?

"Bad things," Luna said. "Quite bad things."

He shook his head. He did not believe her, but whatever made her sleep at night.

Wait. Did she even sleep?

Luna laughed. "Oh my! You would be the first one to ever think like this, Cain."

His eyes widened. No one who saw her ever cared to think about this? Were they that heartless?

Luna smiled. "I don't need sleep or food, Cain. I take energy from the universe."

He narrowed his eyes at her. Whatever.

He eyed the chains that bound her. Would it be possible to break it?

Luna shook her head sadly. "Unfortunately, my heir, King Atticus, is not strong enough to break it down."

Why should it be her heir? Why not him? He truly believed in her.

Luna sighed. "I can feel your devotion, Cain. But a curse has been placed on me. Only my heir who carries my essence could release me."

This is bad, he thought.

Luna shrugged. "It's my life. I was caught when I was at my lowest. My son Arren had died and I was learning about a new bond. My chosen love was killed and my Soul-Bound or mate as you can say in a way was captured. I was in a mess when this person who put me here caught. In order to release my mate, I agreed to this."

Cain howled for her. If someone took Aurelia from him he would go to the end of the world to save her. She was his mate.

Luna looked down when the chains flared to life and died after a minute. "I am sorry, Cain. I am sorry."

Cain let out a low whine. Why are you sorry for?

Luna closed her eyes. "I am the one who gives love and you know that. But with my capture the one who has put me in this position, that person is messing with the bonds, Cain. All possible bonds, especially the mate bond. She could not intervene in the family and friendship bond, but she is messing with the bonds."

Cain stood up. What are you trying to say?

"I am sorry, Cain," Luna said. "I truly am."

For what?

"C-can I name you as my Hunter?" Luna asked.

He immediately stood up. He knew about these Hunters. They were selected by the Daughters of Moon and they held power over the nobles but less than the Royals.

And Luna wanted to name him as her Hunter? He made a choking sound. This was an honour beyond anything. He stumbled as he tried to take a step forward.

Luna nodded. "Yes. As my Hunter."

His breath grew heavy. He nodded slowly. He would bear her mark with pride.

Luna closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. When she opened her eyes, a burst of warmth hit him right in his chest. The fur over his heart had a pattern in white.

It was a symbol that was etched.

What is this?

"In my language, this symbol means Hunter," she said.

Cain nodded and huffed in pride. He was a Hunter of Luna!

But that was when he felt it. Deep in his soul, the reverberating truth. Aurelia was not his mate. She was not the one for him.

Moments ago, he would have cherished her essence on his skin, in his heart, but now, he was not sure. The bond they had simply snapped. He expected to feel hollow and empty, but all he felt nothing.

He loved Aurelia, he was sure of that. It was not an easy thing to change who you love. How could he rip a part of his soul?

He had loved Aurelia even before a bond held them together, but he had never loved her as much as he had when the mate bond was between them.

He cared for her as a friend, loved her even. But the passion he felt for her, the lust and the need to show others that they belonged to each other, that was missing.

He had always known that Aurelia loved him only because of the mate bond. Had it not been for it, they would have remained as just friends.

One day, when Reece and Mike were mated, they saw each other and the bond had clicked. Only because of that bond she was with him.

Unlike him, Cain knew Aurelia would break up once she came to know that he was not her mate. And who was he kidding? Mate bond did hold strong over any love he would have for anyone.

Why? He whimpered.

"I am sorry, Cain," Luna said. "Your soul never matched hers. I know you love her, but if she loved you the way you deserve to be loved, perhaps, I will change the bond. But she doesn't love you the way you do. She is with you only because of the bond and if it is broken, she would fly. She was meant to find her tether elsewhere. And you, Cain, you have promised yourself to someone else. No matter what happens, you will find her at the end. And she, you.  You both deserve that after all that had happened."

Cain lowered his head and sat down, resting his head over his paws. Well, it was a good thing he never marked her.

It was good, right?

"I admire you, Cain," Luna said. "You are brave than most people I have met in my life."

Cain blinked. What?

The chains flared gold and then it died.

"Yes," Luna hissed. After she took I'm deep breaths, she said, "Not many are brave enough to love freely, Cain. And even if they did, they never show it out. It takes a lot of courage to show others how much they are loved. And you do it so... easily that it makes me envious of you. I can feel your love for your family, your friends and everyone you know. You taught me how large a person's heart can be."

Cain blinked again. He taught her?

Luna smiled. "Yes. I can feel your love for Warren, his mate and his unborn child."

Cain frowned. Children. Likira is with twins.

Luna bit her lip. "I am sorry, Cain. Once again, I must bear you a piece of bad news. Likira was with twins. Sometimes in pregnancy, one twin may die and the other might survive."

What did she just say now?

Cain got up and snarled. You say that one girl died?

Luna nodded. "Yes. I can feel your love, Cain. I can't bear to see you fall down when you hold it one girl."

Cain raised his head and howled. How much more must he bear?

He howled again and again only to stop when he felt the tears run down his eyes.

Could wolves cry?

He did not know what to do. Warren was so happy that he was having twins. Likira was so happy. He knew from Likira that Zahra was too.

"Cain," Luna called again.

What? Another bad news?

Luna shook her head. "No. That's all. But I do have a suggestion."

Cain sniffed and frowned. What is it?

Luna gulped as if she was afraid to ask him something. "I have a soul, Cain. A soul whom I am sure you will love. A soul who is to bring balance to this part of the universe. I must hide it in a body. If the one who captured me finds the soul I have, they would suck the energy this soul has. If they do that, then nothing can stop them from taking over this universe, because what I have is raw soul, in its natural form. A soul that has not seen death. A soul that is as old as the welkins. If you can, I will replace the soul that was meant to the twin of Likira's daughter."

Cain bit back a growl. What was she thinking? How could he replace a soul?

"Cain," Luna said. "I know you are hurting that Warren lost his child, but think. Unless I told you, would you have known what soul is born?"

Cain blinked and sat down. He would at least listen to her logic.

Luna took a deep breath. "The universe had many major races out of which only two survived. Stars, the children of Cosmos and Pulsars, the children of Chaos. The Warriors are Stars. As much as they protect, they have tipped the balance. All twelve are stars. To reverse a wrong, I am to set these pulsars souls free.

"As much as I could have released them in the wide vast universe with other stars, who would no doubt take care of them, I don't know whom to trust anymore. I trust only my family and my mate. And I can't leave these precious souls there. So I decided to set the souls free here, on earth.

"But before I could find a way to make sure the souls are safe, this person caught me. I fled and I kept slowly releasing the souls as and when that person's attention is not on me. I managed to safely set eleven souls free and they are living happily, but I still have one left. I need to set this too free."

Cain looked at her ethereal face and then at the ground. Dinky plants grew that had the smallest flowers he had ever seen.

"She is my last hope, Cain," Luna said in a pleading voice. "She is my last chance at reversing at least some mate bonds. If she is set free, then she would meet the star who she is to reflect. If that happens, balance is restored and I have a chance to be free."

Cain gulped. Do you understand what you are asking me? I have considered Warren's children as mine, and now you are telling me that one of the girls is dead and asking me to replace her. How is it fair?!

Luna had the grace to flinch. "I am wrong. I know. But if this soul does not find a home soon, the one who captured me would find about it and extract the raw energy of her. If that happens, all will go to hell. She is a first-generation soul, Cain. She has more power than an ordinary star or pulsar. Please, think."

Cain turned away. It is not my decision.

"So... if Warren agrees, you will accept this soul and guard her with her life until she meets the star she is to match?"

Cain clenched his jaws. Likira should agree too.

Her shackles turned to gold and then died. "Yes. If both agree."

Cain paced around. Will you change anything?

Luna was silent for a minute or two before she said, "A few things. Warren's daughters are werewolves, they have the genes for that. But this soul, she is a pulsar. If this soul was to reside in this body, her genes must have pulsar codes to survive. I will change only that. Otherwise, she would be as much as Warren and Likira's daughter as the other is."

He could not believe that he was actually considering it.

He narrowed his eyes at her. If they refuse, will you force?

Luna shook her head. "Never."

Release me, he said. I will talk to them and then tell you.

Luna nodded. "Since you are my Hunter, you can contact me. But never for once disclose anything about me."

Cain snorted. I say everything to my parents. And not to mention, I have to ask Warren and Likira.

Luna nodded. "No one else."

My mate if I meet her, Cain said. Then he asked in a small voice. Is there no chance for Aurelia to be my mate?

"There is," Luna said in a length. "If she loved you the way you love her, you would find yourself a mate bond with her."

Cain nodded slowly. Did Aurelia even love him?

"Picture your pack, Cain," she said. "Imagine that you are with them now. You will find yourself in West Pack."

He closed his eyes and pictured his mother, Beta Evelyn Thorne who solved disputes within the pack when Alpha Violet was not available with her hard glare, his father Beta Carter Black who was the second in command of the pack, his sister Rhaze Thorne who was training to be the next Delta and his friends, Warren Whyte and Likira Vade.

Suddenly he was no just smelling the scent of home, but he was there, seeing it.

**********

Rhaze was in the kitchen, baking something... well, burning something when he entered their house. Aurelia was talking to her brother on the phone as she walked on the garden behind their house.

Cain trotted to his room which he shared with Aurelia and shifted back to his human form. In the floor-length mirror Aurelia owned, he saw the patterns of black ink etched on his skin over his heart.

It was beautiful that was all he could tell. It had a lot of swirling patterns. Donning a blue shirt that was out and a pair of boxers and jeans, he came out.

Seeing him, Rhaze switched off the oven and squealed. "Cain! You're back!"

Cain grinned at her. He walked inside the kitchen and ruffled her hair, hair that she had chopped it until her neck level and had shaded it an outrageous shade of purple.

"Is this supposed to be my welcoming treat?" he asked, looking at the black hard thing.

Rhaze gave him a sheepish look. "I tried."

He nodded. "I can see that."

Out he could hear Aurelia had finished her phone call and she entered the house nearly hopping and jumping.

But when she saw him, she stopped.

He waited for it. The snapping of the bond into place. He loved her, with or without the bond, but did she love him too?

Aurelia gasped as she fell on the floor.

He could not go anywhere near her when he was the one who put her in that position.

Rhaze glared at him, as though he made all the mistakes in the world and rushed towards her. "Lia? Are you okay?"

Aurelia said nothing, but she continued to whimper.

Was it his fault though? If she had loved him out of the bond, they would have one. This just said that she was with him only because of the bond. If not for it, she would have left him.

"Did he cheat on you?" Rhaze asked sharply.

Cain growled. "I would never!"

Aurelia shook her head. "He is not my mate anymore."

Rhaze frowned. "What? What do you mean, Lia? How can you stop being mates?"

Aurelia's chin wobbled. "He is not my mate." Then she looked at him and then he knew that even though she had not loved him as much as he wanted her to, she still understood him a way no one else had. "I am sorry, Cain. I don't love you enough to be with you when we are not mates. Forgive me. I... I am leaving."

With that, she bolted out of the house.

A part of him died. He wanted to follow her and comfort her, but it was her life.

But how could she leave him like that? Could she not feel what he felt for her? Even once?

Rhaze looked at him with confusion. "What the hell was that, Cain?" Then she gasped and stood up. She brought her hands over this face. "Don't cry, Cain."

It was then he realised that he was crying. "I lost her, Rhaze. How can I not?"

Rhaze hugged him. "You know how she is. It is either a forever kind of relationship or nothing for her. If the mate bond had indeed broken between you both and if you were to meet your true mate, would it not be heartbreaking? Aurelia is scared in this. She could give you a chance, but honestly, it's her loss."

He sniffed. "You are here comforting me. Aurelia is your best friend should you not be comforting her?"

Rhaze laughed. "I would choose my brother over any of friend anyway, Cain. Family is very important to me."

He chuckled through his tears as he hugged her. He was grateful that Luna had not lost control over the love between friends and family. If she did, he would not know what to do.

**********

After announcing to the pack about their breakup, Cain moved slowly towards there science sector.

Many wolves who stood there gave him a sad look. They whispered as he walked past them.

And for the first time in the week, he felt fury like none other burn his veins. He was a Hunter of Moon and did they dare pity him? If he wished, he could turn them to dust and answer the royals themselves.

He growled when a female gave him a look of sympathy. That seemed to have snapped everyone out of their pity for him.

As he took the lift to the top floor, where Warren and Likira were, someone entered the lift.

For the first time, it felt stuffing to be alone with her.

"Cain," Aurelia said, her face heavy with makeup. She was never the one to wear makeup. She wore heavy accessories, but never makeup. "How do you do?"

He could hear the wobble in her voice. For the past week, she moved away from his house, back to the pack house. He rarely saw her, considering the fact that he spent most of his time in the wilderness.

"Could be better," he rasped.

She took in a sharp breath. "I..."

"Forget it," he said.

She pressed the pause button and the lift stopped.

"What do you want?" Cain nearly snarled.

She left him bleeding and now she wanted to talk about feelings?

"I want you to listen," she hissed. "Don't talk. Just listen."

He could have crossed her. She was no longer his mate for her to be his equal. Even eliminating the fact that he was a Hunter, he was the future Beta of this pack and she still ranked lower than him.

But it was the pain behind her eye that made him listen. Aurelia was not a female who poured out her feelings. She would reel it in and let it out only when she was sure she was alone.

"I am sorry, Cain," Aurelia said, her voice breaking. "I left that day without an explanation not because I wanted to, but because I did not have any. I was always careful of my heart, Cain. You know how my parents ended, after seeing that, I never wanted to choose a partner for myself. I saw how destructive they were to each other but still held onto each other in the name of love. I could not put myself through that again."

He knew what happened to her parents alright. They wore a pretty smile to others but killed each other slowly on the inside. It was not love if it killed you.

"And you?" She sniffed. "You deserved so much better, Cain. So much. You loved me even when I could not love myself and held me when everything was falling apart. I would never change the days I shared with you. But you don't deserve a female who is always questioning her worth, your faithfulness."

He heaved but remained silent.

"And I did love you, Cain," Aurelia said. "Loved you enough to say screw the mate bond and stay with you. But then I thought of the day you would meet your mate and then... what if you chose her over me? I know I don't have the strength to fight her for you. Nor would it be fair for her. I can't take away you from your mate. It would be horrible of me."

"Aurelia..." he began.

"I could not do it," she whimpered. "I thought I could, but I could not. I was not... am not strong enough to hold you from what you love. And what if I met my mate someday in the future? What crime did he commit to see me happy with you?"

Cain held his tongue. She was making sense.

"It is for the best that we stay like this," she said. "I can't..."

"Aurelia," he said. "I understand."

She wiped her tears with a tissue and only then did he see how pale her skin was and how the dark circles around her eyes had claimed her. She took her foundation and applied it again.

When she was satisfied with how she looked, she said, "Thank you. Perhaps, we can be back to friends?"

Cain bit his lip. "It's too soon for that."

Aurelia nodded. "I just did not want to lose a good friend because of this."

"We... we aren't normal friends, Aurelia," he said. "We aren't."

She smiled. "But can try to be. We can't be like this on our next group meeting."

"Time," Cain said. "I need a little more time to understand that you are just a friend and not my mate."

Aurelia nodded and pressed another button and the lift resumed. "Okay."

When the final floor came, she got down and walked towards her lab while he walked towards the office for the head of the science sector.

Through the glass doors, he saw a male with hair as white as snow, courtesy of his mate who bleached his hair. On his lap sat a female with chestnut brown hair who gave the male a look of adoration despite the tears rolling down her face.

He knocked on the door and when he heard a feeble come on, he pressed his right thumb over the biometrics and the glass doors gave way to the room.

Warren Whyte smiled sadly at him while Likira Vade sniffed as she buried her face in the crook of her mate's neck.

After he stepped in, the doors closed behind him and Warren swallowed. "I know you lost your mate, Cain. But we... we lost a girl. Seeing how enthusiastic you were-"

"I know," Cain blurted. "I know about your daughter. I have a proposition. Are you willing to hear it?"

A/N: Yes, next is also another chapter from his pov.

I wrote chapter 28, but I am not satisfied with how it has turned. So I will rewrite it and update that by the end of August.

Until August,

~Quill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

498K 6.3K 16
To read the full book please see the info below: What a wild ride this has been with almost half a million reads! However, It is now time for me to e...
209K 10.3K 111
"The Moon makes you a half... and then you find your mate. And together, the two of you, make a full" ***** It didn't start with a rejection. ...
20.6M 675K 109
Once a forgotten Omega, now the next Luna of the Blood Moon pack-Nova must uncover the secrets of her heritage while unraveling the reason her new Al...
78.3K 6.6K 48
After Jared's mate, Amelia, left him for good, he had given up all hope of ever finding love again. That was until he discovered the Moon Goddess had...