F.I.G.H.T. (Completed)

By GenHope

More detailed description in story. Abella Mobisson has been around boxing most of her life. Her father was a... More

F.I.G.H.T.
Cast
00 | Overture
01 | Fight For Life
02 | Chatty Patty
03 | Hellos & Goodbyes
05 | Free Smoke
06 | Can You Hear Me?
07 | Put You On
08 | Wins & Losses
09 | My Friend
10 | Kiss Of Life
11 | Connection
12 | No Wahala
13 | Pull Up
14 | The Morning After
15 | Red Flags
16 | Met My Match
17 | Misunderstood
18 | Infatuated
19 | Potential
20.1 | Special
20.2 | Struck
21 | My Equal
22 | The Blues
23 | The Test
24 | That's How You Feel?
25 | The Problem
26 | Strike 3
27 | Obvious / Over It
28 | Triggered
29 | Searching
30 | Too Deep
31 | Fear
32 | The Power of Love
33 | Mine
34 | Claiming
35.1 | My Home
35.2 | Home
36 | Love Ain't Enough
37 | Try Me
38 | Us vs. The World
39 | Flyin' High
40 | Losing, Lost
41.1 | The Crisis
41.2 | The Running
41.3 | The Chasing
42 | The Surrender
43 | The Rejoining
44 | Push Me
45 | Draw The Line
46 | Changes
47 | No Pain, No Gain
48 | Old Habits
49 | Prisoner
50 | Kryptonite
51 | F*cked Up
52 | Sabotage
53.1 | Crash
53.2 | Wait
54 | Break
55 | Return
56 | Win or Lose Yo Love
57 | Still Here
58 | Question
59 | Answers
60 | Heartbeat
Epilogue | Denoument

04 | Can I Talk To You?

26.6K 1.4K 1.8K
By GenHope

Round 1

March 3rd, 2019

While the rest of Anthony's friends order their food in a small yet casual vegan cafe in Brooklyn, he looks out of the window watching people as they walk by. Although Anthony has been enjoying his time in New York, he's ready to get back home. "She's taller than I expected," Leon says referring to Abella who they met the day before.

"Yeah, but I'm not surprised. Her Dad was a big man. She's nice though," Anthony replies still people watching.

Of course clips from the interview with Kugan Cassius were posted to blogs, but it was a given. They could say they're not dating until they're blue in the face and people would say they're lying. How they gonna tell them?

"Is that Abella?" He questions when seeing a woman who looks like her sitting at a table outside.

"Look at you. He swears there was no vibe, but hallucinating and thinking he sees her," Leon jokes not even turning around to look and confirm before speaking.

Anthony waves him off saying, "I'll be back."

"Where are you going? We haven't gotten our food yet," KD says looking back at him as he heads for the entrance.

"I'm just going to get a closer look to see if it's her. I'll be back," he says pushing the door open.

Anthony walks outside over to a trashcan throwing an old gum wrapper that's in his pocket away. He stares over towards the table trying to see if it's her. When he sees someone stop at her table for a picture he knows it's her.

Once the person leaves, Anthony walks closer to the table causing Abella to look up from her book. She raises her sunglasses placing them on her forehead looking up at Anthony as he stands over her table. She's the type of person to wear a scowl, but once you talk to her she'll smile. "Are you stalking me?" She asks with a snide smile.

"Not exactly. I was in there," he says pointing at the building.

"You can sit," She says motioning towards the chair across from her. Anthony pulls the chair back taking a seat as Abella marks her page in her book before closing it.

"Are you here alone?" Anthony asks not noticing security like yesterday.

"Yeah, I just needed some alone time so I walked from my hotel over here."

"Well, sorry to interrupt your alone time. Is that safe though? Being out here with no security?"

"No, you're good. By alone time I mean time away from my team. It can become a bit much having to spend everyday with other people." Once Abella got out of rehearsal she went to her hotel and took a shower. Her dancers, publicist, and manager said they needed a nap so she took it as her time to leave. "And I'm good wherever I go. NY's like another home and nobody bothers me. Are you alone?" She asks back.

"Nah, my boys are in there ordering their food. Are you vegan?" He asks looking at her plate of food that's half eaten.

"I'm trying to be, but it's hard when I'm from the south and used to eating hamburgers and bbq. Throw in being Nigerian and loving some beef and stew with rice," she says looking at the food in front of her with a sad face. "I'm hungry, but I have to eat healthy because I'm about to go on tour."

"It's not easy. I'm half vegan." Abella looks at him with a puzzled look. "Vegan when I'm training for a fight, not vegan when I'm not," he says making her laugh. "What are you reading?" He asks reaching for her book on the table as she sips from her drink of San Pellegrino sparkling water.

She swallows then answers, "Walker's Appeal by David Walker. It was basically a constitution or call for slaves to rebel against their master's listing all the reasons why they should do so. It was written by an abolitionist and anti-slavery activist. There's always time to learn Black history. It's actually really interesting. This article and the Nat Turner rebellion are part of the reason that state's laws dealing with slaves and free black people were tightened. Those new laws repressed African Americans and–" Her voice trails off making Anthony look up from reading the back of the book.

"Something wrong?"

"Uh, no, I'm just rambling on when I'm pretty sure the back of the book says everything I'm saying," she says pointing at the book. When Abella finds something interesting she tends to start talking fast as she's eager to explain.

"I was listening," Anthony reassures her. "And it didn't," he says twisting the book to look at the front then the back again. "Your summaries more interesting and made me want to read it. You like to read?" He asks placing the book back on the table. "I try to read as much as I can when I have free time."

"Like? I love it. I loved it so much I went to college for it and got a useless degree in English to make mediocre money being a teacher to bad ass teenagers. I'ma literature nerd."

"You? Teaching?" Anthony asks beginning to laugh. "I can't even see that."

"I must not have seen it either because I was only a substitute. Never got a full time job before deciding to do music."

Anthony squints looking at Abella. "I can kinda see it. Ms. Mobisson. Thats got a ring to it," he says bouncing his eyebrows up. "All the boys would love your class."

Abella smiles slightly before asking, "What are you and your friends doing today?" She dodges his flirting changing the subject. In this industry, Abella learned you can't fall for these guys. They just want to smash to be able to say they hit most guys 'dream girl.'

"Go a little sight seeing. You know, gotta see as much as we can while on holiday before I go back home. You seem at home here," he says looking around the busy street.

She shrugs. "I used to live around this area when I lived here."

"You lived here?"

"Yup, for a year. Lived in a studio apartment with–" She pauses then continues, "Nothing but a mattress and tv on the floor. Broke as hell!" She says laughing while shaking her head. "Chasing the dream."

"So, I take it you know this area well?"

She shrugs. "I would say so. I lived not too far from here. Maybe that's why I always book a hotel around this area."

"Are you doing anything today?" He asks making Abella wonder where he's going with this.

"Nope, I had rehearsal this morning and that was it. Why?"

"You should come with me and my boys. I'm sure you know far more interesting places than the ones suggested on Google."

Abella thinks on it. Her plan for the day was some alone time reading at the cafe then she was going to go back to her hotel before the studio with her brother tonight. March is a hard time for Abella to get through. March is when her father died and now her aunt. She tends to isolate herself when she's feeling down.

"Please," Anthony says like a little kid making Abella chuckle.

"Okay," she finally agrees.

"Femi, did you forget your food?" Both Anthony and Abella hear making them turn their heads. They both set their eyes on David,  Leon, and Gbenga as one of them holds a bag up.

"That's why I have you to bring it to me," Anthony says extending his hand.

KD hands him the food looking at Abella with a smile. "Hey. I guess you weren't hallucinating," he says turning towards AJ.

"What?" Abella asks looking confused.

"Nothing," Anthony answers before any of them can.

"You guys can sit down if you want and eat," she offers. Two of them sit down while the other pulls a chair from another table to sit as well. "I feel like I didn't introduce myself to you guys," Abella says looking at all three of them.

"Oh. These are my best friends, David or KD and Leon or Skinz. This is my cousin, Gbenga," Anthony says as she shakes each of their hands.

They sit talking and eating and when they're done they begin walking in the direction that Abella guides them in. As they walk she pointed out a couple of places and they went into a few shops as well.

Anthony didn't want it to be weird for Abella seeing as she's the only girl, but she fit right in. He can tell she's used to hanging around a lot of guys. She's not afraid to joke around nor is she uptight. Abella's reserved, but all it takes is warming up to people for her to loosen up.

"Oh, that's Prospect Park Plaza," She says pointing then crossing the street. They walk under the monument and past the fountain going into the park.

As they walk through the park Anthony's friends lead the way while him and Abella are behind them. "What happened here?" Anthony asks pointing to the right side of her forehead.

Abella touches her forehead feeling the scar that she forgot was there. It's always on full display when she doesn't wear makeup. "Oh. My brother's what happened. Kid stuff," she shrugs it off.

"Elaborate."

"Me and my brother used to share a room. Back when my Dad was helping all his siblings come to America. Someone was always living with us, so I had to give up my room. Long story short, boys and girls don't need to share rooms. We were fighting over the tv. We solved our arguments by putting on boxing gloves."

Abella laughs continuing the story, "We used the Queen sized bed we shared as the ring. He gets the third round knockout with a left hook sending me flying off the bed. Before I know it I'm hitting my head on the edge of the dresser. Split my head open and needed stitches. I retired from boxing after that loss."

"I don't know whether to laugh or feel bad."

"Both, I guess. My brother whooped my ass like a boy. He wanted a brother so bad."

Anthony points at the scar on her shoulder next this time actually touching her. "This one?"

"Are you going to ask me about every scar on my body?" Abella asks not answering. It's because it's a cut from a fight she had with her ex. They were fighting over a knife.

"Just curious. Scars tell a story..."

"So then what happened to your knuckles? Most boxer's knuckles or hands aren't that scarred when they wear boxing gloves or wraps." She noticed his scarred knuckles earlier when he grabbed her book.

"Street fighting," he says flexing one of his hands that has a band aid on his index finger. "Young and reckless. Boys being boys thinking we're men."

Abella looks at his right hand noticing one of his knuckles is bleeding. "That one looks pretty fresh," she says looking up at Anthony with raised eyebrows.

"Bad habit of punching things when I'm upset," he admits before wiping his hand off.

Abella raises an eyebrow taking that statement as a red flag storing it into her memory. "Do you get upset often?"

"Nah, nah, nah," he says quickly. "Mostly stressed and frustrated. Not gonna lie I've punched a couple doors and walls in my day."

They use the park as a short cut ending up in some neighborhoods. "Oh, this is where I used to live," she says pointing at a building.

She looks to make sure no cars are coming then crosses the street. She had to get a video of this. This small studio apartment that she shared with her ex, Emeka, had a lot of memories bad and good. They made magic together with music, but nightmares when it came to their relationship. This was where her dream came alive.

Anthony watches as she records a video crossing the street as well...

Anthony can tell Abella's still carries herself like a regular girl despite being famous. With money and fame, he comes across the same type of women. With her there's no Balenciaga trainers, designer head to toe, a mask of makeup, colorful wigs, lip fillers, or BBL's. Not that anything's wrong with that, but it's become the norm.

"This is where I made all the songs that got me signed to Jay-Z," she says enthusiastically pointing at the window for her old apartment.

"You're signed to Jay-Z? Ahh, you're signed to Roc Nation," he says answering his own question. "He's one of my favorite rappers."

"What you know about Jigga?"

"Good dude, I know you love me like cooked food. Even though a nigga gotta move like a crook move. We was together on the block since free lunch. We shoulda been together havin 4 Seasons brunch," he raps lyrics to Song Cry effortlessly. Abella laughs at his hand movements.

"We used to use umbrellas to face the bad weather, so now we travel first class to change the forecast. Never in bunches, just me and you. I loved your point of view cause you held no punches," Abella finishes the verse.

When a car honks their horn they realize they're still in the street. They both move out of the cars way laughing at the angry taxi driver. "Why don't you rap anymore? You were nice," Anthony says as they go down the block.

Abella shrugs. "When I got signed they heard some reference tracks of me singing and felt like it fit me better. I wanted the deal so bad I went along with it. They changed my image, my name, rebranded me, and it worked."

"I think you should rap again. Like you're putting out this African album, do an all rap album. That would be a mad ting," he says making Abella laugh.

"I'll keep that in mind. You and your friends should come to the studio tonight... If you're not doing anything," she extends the invite.

"Can you make me a ring walk song?" He asks raising his eyebrows.

She tilts her head thinking on it. "I can. If you give me free tickets to two of your fights."

"The one on June 1st and the next one?"

"My friend already bought my tickets for MSG. The two after that."

"I got you. You have to rap though," he says sticking out his hand. She makes a face at his request for her to rap, but shakes his hand.

They keep walking and Anthony recalls a memory wondering if he should mention it. "I actually remember seeing you at an amateur showcase in Las Vegas. It was like 2009."

She was the only girl with a boxing club wearing black, green, and white tracksuits. He could tell she wasn't a fighter because her jacket was slightly different from the other teenagers.

He asked someone what boxing club it was and they told him it's Michael Mobisson's. His first reaction was 'The Nigerian Nightmare?' Once he started boxing he began studying heavyweights and Michael was someone he modeled himself after inside and outside of the ring.

He asked someone else who the girl was and someone happened to know it was Michael's daughter who he made sure to disclose was only 15 years old. Anthony was 19 at the time, so he immediately dropped the thought.

Abella didn't look 15. By the time she reached high school she grew to her final height of 5'9". With her height and the way she carried herself everybody assumed she was older.

Abella widens her eyes trying to remember that far back. She knew she was a freshman in high school. "What club were you fighting with?"

"Finchley ABC."

"I think I remember seeing you fight. You were skinnier?" He nods his head. She remembered thinking he was cute, but it was because she thought anybody over 6'3" could get it at that age. "Wow, you had a glow up. You lost too," she adds casually.

He laughs thrown aback. "I did lose, but you didn't have to bring it up."

She shrugs. "It was the amateurs for a reason. You learn."

"I'm surprised you didn't box."

She chuckles. "My Dad banned me from inside the ring after trying to spar one time. I took it too personal. I played basketball and ran track though."

"I did track too. What was your shortest time?"

"I'll race you," Abella says with a smile.

"I'm not racing you. You don't even have the proper shoes on," he says pointing towards her feet in sandals.

"I will take these bad boys off and do it barefoot. I used to run around the cul-de-sac and the village back in Nigeria barefoot. I will dust you!"

"I want to see it," Anthony says pulling his pants up letting his competitiveness come out.

"Hold my bag," Abella says taking the black YSL suede fringe crossbody bag from around her body handing it to KD. He looks at the purse funny, but holds it.

The street's empty, so Leon jogs a distance down the street from them. Anthony and Abella both stand in the street waiting for the signal. When Leon says go they both take off down the street running. Anthony furrows his eyebrows at her being in front of him in a dress and sandals. Even when Abella's right shoe comes off she doesn't stop.

She hits Leon's awaiting hand first indicating she won. She laughs doing a little dance. "Nah, you cheated. You started before he said go."

"One second. Don't make excuses. You should've used those long legs and flamingo feet to beat me," she says taking her shoe from KD who grabbed it. Anthony puts his hands on his waist catching his breath looking at Abella with a smile. "Anybody else want smoke?" When they all shake their heads she looks at Anthony sticking her tongue out.

After touring the city in the morning for hours they went their separate ways. Now it's night time and like discussed, Abella invited them to her studio. Anthony stands outside of the warehouse style building waiting for her to open the door. Standing right behind him like always are David, Benga, and Leon.

With a buzz the door opens and behind it is Abella. She smiles warmly holding the door open, so they can come in. "Welcome to The Mob Museum," she says as they enter the building to her recording studio.

Anthony notices that she changed clothes. She now wears a cropped tank top showing her flat stomach, joggers, sliders, and her braids are down from the bun to be more comfortable.

Abella gives Anthony a side hug and when he moves out of the way Skinz steps up with his hand ready, "My guy," Abella says with a laugh as they dap. They knew each other all of four hours, but swear they're homies for life.

"You swear you're best friends with everybody," Anthony comments.

"Don't hate cause her and I are here," he says pointing at his eyes as Abella gives David and Gbenga the same energy with a dap. None of them really noticed the differences in greetings. Did a hug versus a dap mean anything?

Abella always fit right in with the boys. She spent most of her childhood following around her older brother. Plus, she grew up in a neighborhood with only 2 other girls while there were almost 10 boys.

"So you own this building?" Anthony asks as they walk down the hallway where plaques are hanging up. They're mostly hers, but there are some for tracks she helped write or produce for other artists.

"Yup." Abella may be cheap and not willing to spend the money on the flashy stuff her peers have, but she made sure to drop racks on one her studio. As soon as she got a big check from being signed she paid all her parent's bills, started a charity, started her own label with her brother, and bought a studio building. For some reason Abella liked her own space rather then renting out a studio room every time she wants to record. She always created her best in NYC.

Abella stops in front of a wall with her labels logo with hundreds of signatures all around it. "Everyone who comes here has to sign the wall," she says handing a sharpie to Anthony first. Abella watches as he writes his name in cursive with ease displaying his nice penmanship.

Once they've all signed Abella continues walking before stopping in front of a room. "This is like the lounge area. There's snacks and drinks, different games. Pac-Man machine, tv with all the systems. PS4, PS2, Xbox, Game Cube, Wii."

Skinz raises his hand like it's school. "So you guys wouldn't mind if we stayed in here?" Abella shakes her head. With no hesitation all three of them rush towards the tv ready to play the game leaving Anthony. She laughs before saying, "Down that hall's a bedroom with a bathroom for the long nights when people spend the night." She motions for him to follow going up a set of steel stairs.

"Extra studio spaces for other people to use," she says pointing at multiple doors they pass by. They get to the end of the hall and Abella pushes the door open. "Welcome, to my humble abode." The sound of music immediately funnels out of the soundproofed room hitting them.

"Is this the new stuff playing? Sounds like Fela Kuti and The Afrika '70," He says looking around the studio space as she shuts the door.

"Well, that's the inspiration. It features his son, Femi Kuti. I also got his other son, Seun, on another song. You like Fela?"

"I had no choice but to love it. It's all my father listened to growing up."

"Love is not by force," she says in a Nigerian accent making them both laugh. "Fela's music is dense. You just understand it better now that you're older."

"It's good though, the song. Don't you play like a million instruments?" He asks hearing all the horns, drums, and guitar on the song.

"Not a million, 4. I play the flute, drums, acoustic guitar, and piano," Abella lists. She learned to play the flute in sixth grade when she joined the school band, her Mom taught them how to play the piano, an ex taught her the guitar, and Abella was self-taught on the drums. "He plays a million," she says pointing at a man who's staring at a laptop. "This is my producer, co-writer, engineer, and ugly brother."

"You must be talking about yourself. I look good," her brother shoots back while spinning around in his chair. "Wassup, bruh. Odera, but call me Odee," he daps Anthony.

"Anthony. What instruments do you play?"

"Saxophone, trumpet, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, and drums," Odera lists with a nonchalant shrug. It's impressive if you know he's self-taught on all of them except the piano. "Right now I'm trying to figure out the violin, but that shit harder than it looks. Then the harp cause that shit go hard, but people sleep on it," He says making them laugh.

"The harp's a majestic instrument," Anthony agrees sitting on the long, leather couch. She always has to have the vibe right in her studio. She kept candles, incense, and the lights dim with neon lights on glow. "At one point I tried to get into music. I actually got qualified in engineering. I ain't no producer or nothing."

"So say if my brother's ever sick you can fill in for him?" Abella asks leaning against the table in the middle of the room.

"Not exactly. It's been about ten years, so I think I'm quite rusty by now."

"I mean, you can figure it out quickly. I went to school for civil engineering and I'm here," Odera starts. "The science and math naturally rubs off on the music. If you know one thing you can figure out all things."

"He's preaching like always," Abella states being used to her brother.

"I heard you want a ring walk song," Odee says leaning back in the chair putting his hands behind his head for a stretch.

"Yeah, your sister said she would do one for me."

"Remember that beat we made like a month ago? The marching band type beat with the snare drums and choir," she says to her brother.

"Ohh," Odera says spinning in the chair turning towards a large computer screen. "That's definitely some champion, I'm about to whoop a nigga ass type beat." He says clicking on things finding the beat in a folder. "But wait, are you gonna sing on this? This beat is some hungry, hard rap. I thought we were gonna try and sell this to J. Cole."

"I'm gonna rap," Abella says waiting on her brother's reaction. Odera damn near falls out of his chair touching his chest in surprise.

"You coming out of retirement? You got signed and haven't wrote a hot 16 since. I thought you put the pen up for good."

"Don't act like I didn't rap a little on my debut album," Abella argues.

"That was more like poetry. That wasn't rappin' with a bunch of metaphors like when you were underground." Abella couldn't argue with that. "So what made you wanna rap again?"

Abella points over at Anthony who sits on the couch comfortably with his arms stretched across the top. "He said I would get free tickets to his next two fights if I did it," Abella says shrugging.

"I fuck witchu," Odera says getting up from his seat to dap Anthony. Odera stood at 6'5" and extremely lanky. "I just hope you ain't coming with some wack ass ABC bars."

"Just play the beat." 30 seconds in Abella's already critiquing it. Even if Anthony's nodding his head along, she's taking note of everything that needs to be changed.

"The beat's good, but I want to add a flute part to that empty spot. Also, I want you to add background vocals to the choir parts and can you play some electric guitar? This song needs layers, so it sounds grand and triumphant." Abella's now in artist mode.

Anthony observes her closely watching as she takes a case out and opens it. She pulls out something shiny and silver making him realize it's an instrument. She puts three parts together and when she looks up she notices Anthony staring at her. "What?" She asks nervously laughing.

"I'm just watching...observing." She gives him a smile before turning back towards her brother.

"It's the spot in the last 40 seconds," she tells her brother before playing notes to warm up while pacing. Odera gets it to the right spot and Abella pulls up another Rollie chair in front of a desktop mic with a filter. She didn't even need to go in the booth because she's done in less than a minute.

While Odera's tweaking that part Abella motions for Anthony to come over to her custom drum set with a red glittery wrap and her logo on them. "Have you ever played the drums?" She asks as he walks around them where she's standing.

"Nah, you gonna teach me?"

"I'll try. Sit," she says as he sits down. "That's the hi-hat, the snare drum, and the bass drum. That's all you need to know right now," she says pointing to each part. "Are you right or left handed?"

"Right."

"I swear I was supposed to be left handed, but Nigerian parent's will cut off your left hand before they let you use it," Odera chimes in randomly.

"You ain't lyin'. Whole right hand can be full and they still want the right," Anthony agrees. Abella grabs her drum sticks handing them to him. She grabs his hand to fix it so he's holding it correctly.

"Hold them not too tight but not too loose," she instructs looking down on him. When he has them right she says, "Okay. You're going to hit the hi-hat with your right hand. I don't have my metronome, so I'll count for you. Hit it on the ones and threes." She begins counting one through four while snapping her finger from behind him.

"Easy. Now we'll add the snare drum. Hit that on the twos and fours," she instructs next. She begins counting and when he starts playing offbeat she laughs. "You're trying to play both parts at the same time. Look," she says reaching her arms around him. "Why are you so big? I can barely get my arms around you," she says stretching her arms before grabbing his hands that grip the drumsticks. "Go right then left hand," she says guiding his hands.

Odera looks at them seeing how close they are. This is exactly why dudes end up liking her, while she friend zones them. Her friendliness looks like flirting.

She moves back letting him do it. She teaches him the bass drum adding it to the beat. "Oh, shit! I might need to take you on tour," Abella says hyping him up.

"Don't do it. She's the devil on tour. Her ass be actin' like she's Beyoncé in this bitch. And she always stinks up the tour bus bathroom," Odee says.

"Odera Tony Chukwuemeka Amobi Mobisson, if I should come over there and slap you! Shut up your mouth telling my business for the whole world to know," she threatens in a Nigerian accent.

"The whole world? It's one person who you have now told my whole governmental name to. This why you don't have man. You're too violent." Anthony laughs at the exchange. They were definitely like him and his sister.

"I will show you violent. Record the guitar part!Oya!" She says snapping at him.

"You see how she treats me. Let you be witness," Odera says getting up and grabbing his red electric guitar pulling a stool to the booth.

"Wait, that's a recording booth?" Anthony asks looking at the cylindrical sound booth that changes colors...

He's never seen anything like it before. "Odee designed it himself. He has a design and multimedia agency called Echo."

"My booths are all about communicating in a space that allows music to reach a different level by adding sensory like visuals, smell, and taste. The architectural structure features a tunnel filled with motion-activated light and a circular performance area cocooning the performer," Odee further explains. "I've only designed two. This one and one that's on display in a Brooklyn museum."

"Wow," Anthony says getting up to get a closer look.

While Odera records the guitar part and background vocals, Anthony and Abella sit on the couch. Abella hols her phone up to AJ's face showing him a fan page somebody already made of them with a ship name. "People are strange," He comments as they both laugh.

"We look like we can be cousins. I don't see it," Abella says looking at a photoshopped picture of the two of them.

"You don't see what?" Anthony asks.

"Us as a couple. People stay reaching," she says scrolling through Instagram.

When Abella's gets a FaceTime call she sits up a little straighter. It's Errol. "Happy Birthday, EJ!" Abella says answering the phone as Errol's big head stares her right in the face. She sent him a text this morning, but wanted to say it again. "You're old. 29, bro. You get the gift I sent?"

"I did. Thanks, Bell. You good though? I haven't seen yo ass post on social media for two days, so I'm wondering if you straight," Errol says with concern trying to figure out her whereabouts by her surroundings. He knows she isolates herself when she's in a funk. Abella purposely held the camera so that Anthony can't be seen, but Errol spotted a shoulder. "You at the studio?"

"Yeah. What'd you do for your birthday?"

"Good birthday sex. Probably made my third child. Nothing major," he jokes. "Who you wit?"

She glances at Anthony then says hesitantly, "Anthony Joshua."

"Ohhh." Abella could tell he already knew by his tone. "Wassup, bruh," He says knowing he can hear him. She rolls her eyes before moving the camera so Anthony can be seen. "Looking forward to this fight with Big Baby."

"Yeah, yeah, it should be a good one." Anthony says leaning forward.

Anthony isn't going to act fake excited. He knows most of the American fighters shitted on him because he's British. He knows they always pick Deontay Wilder over him, which he doesn't fault them. He's glad the Black American fighters stick together. He knows it's just boxing. Half of the boxers shitted on his name to lift up another fighter only to smile in his face when actually talking to him.

When asked about Anthony, Errol did say he's chinny and that he's been hurt. Those were just observations. That didn't mean Errol didn't think he's a good fighter. They both went to the olympics in London the same year so they shared that accomplishment.

Anthony and Errol have a quick conversation about boxing then Abella goes back to talking to him. "You know, I'm making him a ring walk song considering my BEST FRIEND has yet to use my talents. You have me and Meg yet you're always asking Yella Beezy to walk out with you."

"Look, I'm not tryna walk out to all that singing shit. I'm tryna be hype then hear you go... Ooooh! Ooooh!" He says mimicking her singing making himself laugh. "Then Megan only rap about finessing niggas and riding dick. I'm on paperview. It's censored. They can't censor out all'at hit it then he big ole skeet," he says rapping Meg's lyrics.

"Okay, real hot boy shit!" Abella says snapping her finger and popping her back. "Just admit you fake as hell cause you could've asked me to rap. I'm rapping on a song for him, so boom bye bye!" Abella says hanging up the call.

She didn't want to be on the phone with him too long because she'll be seeing him when she goes back to Texas for his fight.

Once Odera's done with the beat, Abella can start writing. "Oh, you do it old school?" Anthony asks when Abella pulls out a notebook and a pen.

She opens it sitting down at the table. "There's no other way. I can't really get with the phone thing," she says beginning to write what she already had in mind...

"So you write all your music yourself?"

"Yup, me and this guy. Check the credits," she says with confidence. When Anthony throws his hands up she chuckles. "Me and my brother do everything in-house. No outside producers or song writers. Our own studio and label under Roc Nation. It's all about ownership."

Anthony nods his head. It hasn't taken Anthony long to notice she's intelligent. "Since you play so many instruments, can you write sheet music?" Anthony asks a lot of questions, but that's his way of learning.

"No, since my formal musical education stops at middle school. I can read music, but that's it." She gets up from the table pushing her braids over her shoulder. She grabs the notebook and pen moving back to the spot on the couch next to Anthony. She pulls her legs onto the couch to sit with her legs crossed.

As time went on and Abella wrote the song, she let Anthony listen to her album that's coming out in 5 days through headphones. She pauses writing and looks at him to see him bobbing his head making her smile. She pulls one of the headphones from over his ear asking, "What number song are you on?"

He hits the side button on her phone to make the screen awake. "Four. Shift."

"You only get one more song. You have to buy and listen to the whole thing when it comes out. I need my coins."

"Wowww, okay." He puts the headphone back over his ear. Neither of them realize how close they are. Abella sits with her legs crossed. Meanwhile, Anthony sits beside her aimlessly playing with the end of one of her 30 inch braids playing a game on his phone and listening to the album.

Anthony has the aura that draws people to him. Abella was standoffish at first, but she warmed up to him now. She had no choice. Anthony kind of forced her to let him in.

Anthony opens a text message from a girl named, Feven, he's had 'dealings' with reading them...

Instead of replying he just goes back to playing his game. Abella grabs the headphones off his ears not letting him get anymore free listens. "Just one more song," he says holding onto her phone before she can grab it.

"Then I might as well let you listen to the whole damn album. 5 days then you can tell me your favorite song," she says putting her hand out so he puts her phone in it.

She stands up from the couch as Anthony says, "My favorite so far is Nigerian Nightmare. It's good you're bringing awareness to all the stuff happening in our country." Abella gives him a small smile before going to the booth to lay down the song.

"You need like a warm up cuz yo ass ain't rapped in a minute?" Odera asks as Abella puts the headphones on. She shakes her head. "You sure?" She gives him a look, so he leaves it alone.

After Abella records the song they all decide it's time to leave. Odera has a flight to catch in the morning, so he wanted to sleep. Anthony's friends left an hour prior going out to some bar leaving Anthony and Abella. Anthony offered to walk Abella to her hotel that's around the corner so she doesn't have to walk alone at midnight.

As they walk down the street lit up by street lamps Abella plays the song from her phone. It's a rough draft that still needs to be mixed and mastered, but she got it done in one night. Anthony couldn't believe it either. "Show me how you would walk out to it," she says turning to walk backwards.

"Okay, so there's a spotlight on me. The stadium is rumbling from the crowds cheers," Anthony details. "White robe like Ali. The song starts and I start walking. Out comes a marching band to get the real feel of the beat. You're in the ring performing the song–"

Abella cuts him off. "Me? That wasn't apart of the agreement. Naw, you can just walk out to it. Those boxing arenas are way too intimidating, especially your fights." He hasn't fought in front of less than 50,000 people in awhile.

"Yeah. You have to perform it or it won't feel the same."

"I'll let you dream. Keep going."

"There'll be fire and flames with the guitar solo. A lot of theatrics," he says pointing to imaginary people making her laugh.

"And I'll be watching in the audience and not performing in the ring," Abella says shutting him down.

"We'll discuss it when we get to that day."

"Thank you for walking me," she says as they approach her hotel.

"No problem. Thanks for giving up your alone time to hang out today," he says as they both stop in front of the building.

"My pleasure. If you're back in NY before the fight just dm me."

"You don't exactly respond to all my dm's," Anthony says making her give a guilty look.

"True, I guess we could exchange numbers. I might need it so I can send you the song when it's finished," Abella says reaching into her purse.

Abella pulls her phone out of her purse unlocking it to make a new contact. She's about to extend it when her phone starts ringing. She flips it towards herself seeing it's Jermell. It wasn't abnormal for him to call her this late. She already ignores it.

"Sorry," Abella says handing the phone to him again. "You might as well put your email, so when the song's mixed and mastered I can just send it." Abella crosses her arms over her abdomen watching him type. When he laughs under his breath and shakes his head Abella furrows her eyebrows. "What?"

"I appreciate the song, but that's not all I care about," Anthony says extending the phone back to her as they look at each other.

"Oh...Okay," she didn't know how to respond to that. "I just wanted to make sure you get it since we spent so much time on it."

"I understand. Of course I don't want to waste your time." She can tell he wants to say something else, but he doesn't.

"Goodnight, Anthony," She says giving him a smile and wave before turning to go into the hotel. He stands there for a second shaking his head before sitting on a bench to request an Uber.

The Next Day...

Rejoice looks around her bedroom of her condo in Los Angeles, California making sure she has packed everything she wants. She can't believe she's really about to give up everything she has here for the next six months. For what? Some stuff her Mom left? The truth is, it's deeper than some stuff.

Rejoice has been on a steady decline morally since she left Texas and moved out here for school 6 years ago. It got even worse when she was able to build a completely new life that didn't include going back to Texas even for holidays.

When Rejoice couldn't land a good paying job after spending four years and a lot of student loan money to get a degree, she found herself doing desperate things for money. She was used to living a certain lifestyle that's above her means since childhood. Rejoice was always wearing the new Tommy Hilfiger, Baby Phat, and Jordan's even if her mother was living paycheck to paycheck.

It was Katrina's need to always spend money that lead to her father, Benjamin, getting deported. Kat was spending more money then he could bring in. She also didn't believe in helping with the bills because 'that's a man's job.' What did Benji do? He started selling drugs. He got caught and they told him he had to go back to Nigeria. He was lucky they didn't make him serve any jail time.

Rejoice knew this and that's why she always resented her mother. Rejoice was always a Daddy's girl. When he was deported it crushed her. Her relationship with her mother never improved. Rejoice caught her mother sleeping with other men several times after he left. She was young, so she didn't know her parents had an understanding or that her father was cheating in Nigeria too.

Rejoice really never had any respect for Katrina. Her mother acted more like her friend than parent. She was the type of parent who always dropped her kid off for someone else to watch. That's why Rejoice spent so much time at her Uncle Mike and Aunt Toni's house allowing for her and Abella to grow up close.

That's why she went to a college out of state in the first place. She wanted to get away. Four years ago Rejoice came back to visit for Christmas and she got in an argument with her mother. Everything she resented about her mother finally came out. Rejoice left back to California and never came back. Katrina was still her mother, so she sent her money but that was about it.

Rejoice may not have liked a lot of her mother's qualities, but she picked up on some of them. That includes Katrina's finessing ways. Kat was Queen Finesse and now Rejoice's the princess with her current career choice...

After putting on her Balenciaga sneakers, Rejoice grabs her Chanel bag putting it across her body making sure her passport and wallet are in it. She grabs all of her Louis Vuitton luggage looking around her condo taking in a deep sigh before leaving.

When she goes outside and gets into the car waiting to take her to the airport, she FaceTimes her business partner and best friend, Neriah. "Riah," She says when her friends green eyes and beige skin pop onto the screen.

"Joie, bitch! I can't believe you're seriously leaving me," she says sticking out her bottom lip.

"Girl, don't act like with all the money you got you can't catch a flight. We party in Houston all the time. It's nothing to have girl's weekend in Dallas or H-Town."

"I know, but it's six months where I can't come downstairs to your condo and knock on your door. We can't go to the nail salon together. Is that little bit of money worth it?" That's how you knew Neriah grew up rich when she considers over $100k a little.

"It's not about the money..." Rejoice clarifies. "If this was my Mom's last wish then I have to fulfill it."

"As long as our business is still run successfully fine," Neriah says rolling her eyes.

"Cosa Notra Agency will be fine. This'll be better. You can run it in L.A. and I can expand to Texas. I already have plans to talk to some club owners in Dallas and Houston to host. That way I can find some girls."

"Can you still travel?"

"I'm sure the stipulations prefer I stay in Texas, but one or two trips won't hurt. If I have to go to Miami or Dubai, I can."

"And why the hell didn't you tell me that Béla's your cousin?! I saw some picture of your family at your Mom's funeral and a video of her singing got posted to the blogs too." Rejoice rubs her forehead. People are so attached to social media that they can't even leave it alone at funerals. It's sad.

"Because we haven't been close the last couple of years. I didn't exactly leave on the best terms with most people last time I was home," Rejoice says honestly thinking back on it.

"Well, I hope you're going to repair that relationship. She can be an asset. She's about to be the next big thing. I'm talking Rihanna, Beyoncé big."

Rejoice laughs like it's a joke. "I doubt that. I can't lie, she will be an asset though. She knows a lot of celebrities, especially boxers. People that may need our services one day. If I get close to her again it'll work in our favor."

"And what about your ex?"

"Which ex?" Rejoice asks in confusion.

"In some interview of Béla they brought up rumors that she's slept with a bunch of boxers. They mentioned some guy and she said that he was her best friend and that he dated her cousin in the past. She said her cousin's name was Rejoice or something." Neriah may be her best friend, but she doesn't know her real name. "Was she talking about you?"

"Errol? What about my ex?"

"If you were smart you would try and get back with him and run his pockets dry. That's if he's a big deal and actually making some money."

"I don't know what he's making. He can't be a big deal if I've never seen him anywhere on my radar when I know all the hot shit. No amount of money could ever make me get back with him."

"If you say so. Just hit me when you land. Have a safe flight, boo." Rejoice says okay then hangs up with a huff. She's just ready to get these six months over with. Hopefully they fly by...

After a three hour flight and landing at the DFW airport, her Aunt Toni is there to pick her up. They drive back to her house in Arlington and Rejoice begins unpacking in the guest bedroom that used to be her cousin Odera's old room.

While putting her clothes in the drawer, Rejoice looks around the room that has been redecorated to be more welcoming to guests. There's no sign of Odera in sight. All his football and anime posters were taken down and even a hole he punched in the wall had been fixed. Rejoice remembered them all playing video games like Sonic and Crash Bandicoot in this room with the neighborhood kids.

Rejoice always loved coming to this house. There was so much chaos at her parent's house in the hood of Dallas that coming to the suburbs was like a vacation. It's only 30 minutes away, but it felt like a completely different world. It's the life she wanted, but instead she got dealt different cards.

There's a knock at the door and when Rejoice says come in, Toni pops her head in. "I'm going to run to the grocery store right quick. You need anything, baby?"

"No, I'm fine." Toni says okay and closes the door back going out the garage door to her car.

After unpacking Rejoice leaves the guest bedroom going to the room to the left which is Abella's. She pushes the door open and walks in surprised to see that it looks exactly how it did when they were in high school. Abella spent so much time decorating her room that she can see why she didn't want to change it.

From what her aunt told her, Abella's currently in New York City. Rejoice looks around the room. On a cork board there's a bunch of pictures of Abella with friends from high school that she never took down. Rejoice laughs when she sees a picture of her and Abella taking a mirror selfie posing in a store's dressing room.

Now she thinks it's tacky to take pictures in clothes you haven't bought yet. In fact, Rejoice ended up stealing those pants. She was a broke high schooler surviving off the allowance her Uncle Mike gave her.

Those were simple yet complicated times. She was in high school running around with the not so good kids while also dating Errol. Rejoice thought she was the shit because she was dating a guy two years older than her. They started dating when she was 14 and he was 16. They basically grew up together, so nobody had anything negative to say about her being a freshman and him being a junior.

She had known him since she was twelve. She knew Errol like the back of her hand and they were inseparable. As they went through those adolescent changes so did their relationship. They went from friends to crushes to boyfriend and girlfriend. That progressed into what they deemed a 'serious' relationship. Serious enough for I love you's and sex to be involved. They even stayed together after he graduated high school.

The relationship didn't develop problems until Rejoice graduated high school. It was a little rocky when she went to community college for two years. It went crashing before she left for college in California. It was over. Six years washed down the drain and it was her fault.

Rejoice looks at a picture of all of them dressed up outside of a Pappadeaux's. It was Errol's 18th birthday dinner. Back then you felt grown when you had a birthday dinner. Rejoice stood next to Errol as they held hands wearing big smiles while all his friends crowded around for the picture. They were so young and in love then.

That reminded Rejoice that it was just Errol's birthday yesterday. You go from celebrating someone's birthday with them, to a text when you're not as close, to forgetting their birthday completely.

Her reminiscing is interrupted when someone rings the doorbell. Rejoice looks in confusion wondering if she should answer because it's not her house. She goes to the front living room looking out of the peephole. She raises her eyebrows at who she sees.

She unlocks the door swinging it open before pushing the glass door open too. "Errol?"

"Rejoice?" He asks back. He was expecting her to be gone by now considering her mother's funeral is done. He clears his throat asking, "Is Mrs. Toni here? I came by to check on her thinking she's alone."

"She ran to the store. You want to come inside and wait?" Errol raises his eyebrow at the drastically different attitude Rejoice displayed towards him. At her mother's funeral they avoided each other.

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"It's fine. I'm sure she won't be long. Plus, I wanted to talk to you–" When Rejoice sees the passenger car door on the 2019 red Mustang in the driveway open it grabs her attention. Out steps a woman...

"Ooh! It's hot as the devil's pussy outchere!" Valore's accent chimes out as she closes the car door. She walks towards the front door where Errol still stands saying, "Oh," when she doesn't see Toni at the door. "Who are you?" Valore asks stopping behind her boyfriend.

"I'm Rejoice. Toni's niece," she says scanning the woman up and down. Errol definitely has a type...Brown skin and petite.

The name immediately clicks in Valore's head. She's doesn't let the fact it's his ex phase her though. She extends her hand around Errol saying, "Well, I'm Valore." Rejoice shakes her hand as Errol stands in between them feeling awkward. He couldn't tell if Valore's being petty. "Is Toni here?"

Right as she asks that the garage opens and a black Mercedes Benz GLE Coupe can be seen pulling into the driveway making them all look. The car parks and out comes Toni moving faster than usual when she saw Errol's car in he driveway. "Sorry, it took me a little long. The lady in front of me had a bunch of coupons holding up the line," Toni rambles on too busy digging through her purse as all three of them stare at her.

Toni finally looks up with her eyes immediately landing on Valore then Errol then Rejoice. "Oop! This is awkward," Toni mumbles under her breath.

When Errol called and said he was coming over he failed to mention that he's bringing his girlfriend... which he didn't need to. Toni knows and likes Valore. Toni was being a bit messy when she said he could come knowing that Rejoice's here. She was hoping she could get the exes to finally sit down and talk after all these years.

Toni looks to the side feeling just as awkward as them...

"Well, more hands to help me bring in the groceries," she finally says turning to go back towards her car. "Come on," she says widening her eyes with her back to all of them. "Jesus be a fence. Don't let them get'ta fighting in my yard, lord," she whispers like a prayer.

"We'll help you, but I think we're going to leave after," Errol says following behind Toni who opens the trunk to her car.

"Why? I was going to cook dinner. You know I need the company with my kids in New York. I'm all lonely and–"

Errol couldn't deal with her trying to pull the sympathy card today so he cuts her off. "I'm sure Rejoice's all the company you need. Plus, we have to go get Violet and Ivy from my parent's house," he uses as an excuse. "Right, baby?"

For some reason that baby hits Rejoice who still stands at the open front door.

"Yeah, they've had them all day," Valor goes along with the lie. Truthfully, Errol's parent's would have their kids for two weeks until his fight is over with so he can focus.

"Alright," Toni says with a saddened voice. Errol and Valore help her bring in the grocery bags but they leave once they're all in.

Rejoice realizes that this six months won't be so easy. She's about to be hit with her past that she's tried to escape for years like a ton of bricks...

______________

Anthony & Abella getting to know one another?

Rejoice officially back in Texas?

I swear I try to shorten these chapters smh, sorry. Comment / Vote❤️🥊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 13.9K 64
𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐏𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐒 two years ago, my life changed forever. All it took was one night to alter the rest of my life. I wasn't sure about a lot of...
394K 9K 44
sequel to 'hating you from the beginning.' READ BOOK 1 FIRST! ~ "I know I know." I rub my face. "Why am I at your house?" I ask. "I wasn't going to...
120K 3.4K 40
Two rivals, which formed their hate for each other purely because of academic validation When a new boy Ares Sanchez starts attending Olivia's Maddox...
42.5K 1.6K 62
"I already killed your mother, Cam." As the words left my enemy's mouth like a mocking sneer, I growled under my breath at the mention of my old name...