Soundtrack of my Summer

By InconceivableNotions

When Brooke is invited to a wedding in the small town of Bridgewood, she can’t help thinking it’s déjà vu. As... More

Prologue
1. Trip Down Memory Lane
2. Flashback
3. Against All Odds
5. Choices
6. Arrivals
7. Missing Drake
8. Five Reasons

4. Strength and Dignity

1K 21 20
By InconceivableNotions

Hey guys! Sorry for the wait. I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed writing it :) I'm actually in college atm so the study centre is not providing much inspiration which may have affected it a bit :P But I really hope you like it and plz comment, fan and vote!! xxx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Strength and Dignity

Drake's POV

We were already at the house and I felt sick to the stomach.

'Dude, you ok? You're as white as a sheet.' Callum was looking at me with concern.

'I'm fine,' I lied.

'Yeah, right. You're nervous coz you'll be seeing her again.' He had a mischievous glint in his eye. 'Chill bro, you've got me,' he said, winking at me.

I rolled my eyes. 'Great, thanks. That makes me feel loads better.'

He bounded up the stairs and I followed. He was about to enter when I finally realised something.

'Aren't you going to put a top on?'

He was only wearing a pair of blue and black shorts and black flip-flops. He paused for a second and pretended to think.

'Nope.' He grinned then walked in.

'Show off,' I muttered, quickly catching up with him. He was fast approaching the dining room.

'Callum, you can't seriously be thinking of going in with-'

Too late. He sauntered in leisurely and I groaned, slapping my forehead. This was not going to go down well. I skulked in the corner to avoid any humiliation on my part. Everyone looked up at his arrival and I saw Brooke's eyes widen in surprise before a smile started playing on her lips. Her smile was leaving me breathless; my heart felt like it stopped beating like an ice sculpture that would splinter into a million pieces if it ever beat again. I took a deep breath to steady myself and looked away.

I glanced at Katherine and I could swear she was biting back a laugh. Justin and his mum were both looking puzzled, as though unsure of how to react. Enrique was looking at his friend in despair and Lena simply looked bored.

'Ah Callum. Thank you for deciding to join us,' Katherine said sarcastically.

He bowed in mock graciousness while saying,

'It's a pleasure ma'am.'

I sucked in a breath. What a douche bag. He had nerve, I'll give him that. Katherine glimpsed at his body and smirked.

'Pleasure's all mine. Are you not going to wear a top?'

'Nah. I'm open to viewing,' he grinned and plonked himself in the chair opposite Brooke. I was mortified. God how embarrassing is this guy?

'Who brought you over without taking you home to put some clothes on first?' Enrique asked, raising his eyebrows.

I walked out of the shadows with a hand raised.

'Guilty,' I said, glaring at Callum. He ignored me. Naturally.

I dropped into the remaining seat next to Justin and he gave me a hard look. I swallowed. Brooke had obviously confided in him. Brooke's mum was looking at me strangely. As though she was trying to figure me out. I quickly filled my plate and kept my gaze down. It looked like winning everyone over was not going to be an easy task. But I guess that was expected.

'So you're the beautiful Brooke,' Callum said, leaning back in his chair, studying her face.

'If you already know who I am, then why the question?' she looked at him evenly.

'It was a statement.'

'Why the statement then?' she shot back.

He paused for a moment, analysing her. He leaned forward with his elbows resting on the table, his face inches from hers. She met his eyes levelly without blinking.

'You know what, let's cut to the chase.'

I didn't know what Callum was playing at, but what I did know, was that he was committing suicide.

'You want to come back to my place?' he whispered loudly.

Justin's head jerked upwards in shock and his mum looked astonished. Katherine was looking on in amusement and Lena just rolled her eyes at Enrique who in turn laughed.

I could have throttled the idiot there and then. What the hell was he doing? I shot him evils from where he was sitting, hoping they would penetrate his thick skull. I reached over for the bottle of rose-flavoured Shloer that was sitting next to him and I deliberately knocked his arm with it, trying to convey my annoyance. He took no notice.

Brooke smiled sweetly at him and leaned even closer. Her voice was soft, but every word was pronounced and clear over the silence of the table who were all watching her reaction.

'I don't know. Would two people fit under a rock?'

I resisted the urge to laugh out loud. Of course; Brooke was capable of handling herself. Callum looked at her stunned. Then he rocked back in his chair and hooted with laughter. Everyone stared at him and Brooke looked entertained. He leaned towards her again and my fists clenched and unclenched under the table.

'You're feisty. I like that,' he said in what he thought was a seductive voice. He was failing miserably.

'Shame I can't say something equally flattering about you,' she retorted.

I scraped my chair back, my glass of drink still in my hand, and stood up abruptly.

'Okay Callum. A word. Outside. Now.'

I glowered at him and for once, he didn't argue. He winked at Brooke before following me out. I led him into the living room and half-closed the door once he was in. I rounded on him and grabbed his upper arm.

'What are you doing?' I asked furiously.

He grinned at me. 'What are you talking about?'

'You know perfectly well what I'm talking about. Brooke. You flirting with her. What's your problem man?'

He looked unashamed and it was really frustrating me.

'You called it off. There's nothing between you two which means she's single and I'm in with a chance. She's hot,' he said, beaming like a blimmin' Cheshire cat. 'And until you tell her the truth, it's fair game.'

'No, it's not. I'm fighting for her. Starting now. She's off limits; stay away from her.'

He raised a hand in surrender.

'Dude, relax. I was just messing. I'm not really gonna make a move for her. You're my best friend. I know how much she means to you and I would never do anything like that.' He looked seriously at me.

'You once told me she was worth it. I can see that she is. You said you're fighting for her - it's time to set out the game plan and get on the battlefield..'

I let go of his arm and ran my fingers through my hair.

'It's not that easy.'

Suddenly the door opened and Justin walked in. He closed the door and observed me and Callum for a moment before speaking.

'I don't know what you guys think you're playing at, but you'd better watch your backs.' His jaw was set and he fixed me with a cutting look.

'You ruined her once before. It's not going to happen again. If she wants to talk to you, fine. She's at perfect liberty to talk to whoever she wants and she knows what she's getting herself into. We both know she can handle herself. But don't mess her around.' He walked closer to me, his face centimetres from mine. 'You screw her over, I'll screw you over ten times more. Is that clear?' he asked coldly.

I looked him straight in the eyes.

'Crystal.'

'Is that a threat?' Callum asked icily.

Justin had walked away from me and was ready to walk out but he turned around and looked at us stonily.

'No. It's a promise.'

And he left.

I let out a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding in.

'Wow. An over-protective brother. Some first impression huh?'

I took a sip of my drink. 'Can you blame him?'

I could hear chairs scraping back in the dining room and knew that lunch was over.

'We'd better get back. You didn't even eat anything because of your little charade.'

'Ah, I'm in the mood for pizza.' He gave me a knowing look. 'Uncle John's Mighty Meaty pizza.'

I shook my head at him. 'That's disgusting. You're eating rubbish meat, you know that right?'

'That's where all the goodness is man! Live a little! You're too sensible for your own good.' He grabbed my glass, took a deep swig, put it back in my hand and slapped me on my back. I looked at my glass in disgust.

'I'll see you later yeah.' And he too, left.

I stood where I was, already drained. So much drama in one day. Scratch that, half a day. Goodness knows what else lay in wait.

I left the room, not noticing where I was going - and crashed straight into Brooke. my glass slipped towards me, my drink spilling onto my white t-shirt. A deep red stain was spreading across my chest.

Brooke gasped and put her hand on her mouth.

'Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. I didn't see you. I should have been watching where I was going. I-'

'Brooke,' I interrupted. 'It's okay. It's just a stain.' I laughed. 'It'll wash off. I wasn't exactly watching where I was going either.'

'I know but - at least let me help you get it off.' She looked at the stain guiltily.

'It'll take two minutes. It's no biggie,' I said, refusing her offer. I made to walk through the laundry room and she followed.

'I know, but still...'

I sighed but didn't say anything. I was happy for her company. Selfish, I know. The washing machine was already spinning so I'd have to do this one by myself. I grabbed the Vanish bottle and a cloth from the windowsill and placed them on the table. I took off my checked shirt and pulled the white t-shirt over my head.

Brooke was quietly watching me.

'What?' I asked her.

'Nothing. You've been working out,' she observed.

'Impressed?' I teased.

'Always,' she whispered. A rosy pink blush crept up her cheeks. I loved seeing her blush; it made her look that much more beautiful.

I didn't know what to say to that so I just started working on removing the stain. But no matter how hard I rubbed the damn thing, it wouldn't come off.

'You need a girl's touch. Here,' she smiled and walked over to me, taking the cloth out of my hand. She worked at it patiently while I just watched. We were centimetres apart and I could feel my skin burning from our close proximity.

I wanted to pull her close, run my fingers through her hair, brush her soft cheeks with my thumb. I mentally shook my head. This wasn't right. I had to stop thinking like that or I'd go crazy and do something that I really shouldn't.

'So what's with the best friend?' she asked, snapping me out of my reverie. She looked at me with a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

'You mean the slightly psychotic, over-confident flirt who thinks he's God's gift to earth?' I grinned back at her.

She laughed. 'Yeah, him.'

'He's okay. I mean yeah, he's an ass but it's part of the package. Oh and you have to get used to his annoying personality and weird sense of humour. But once you know when to tune out to him, it kind of becomes an automatic response.'

She laughed again. God, she had an amazing laugh. This girl was captivating me and she didn't even know it.

'He knows about us.' It wasn't a question; it was a statement and it caught me by surprise. It was a turn I hadn't been expecting.

'Yeah.' I shrugged. 'But that comes with the territory of being a best friend right?'

I looked at her and she didn't say anything; instead she silently handed me back the now pure-white top, her eyes downcast and shadowed with a curtain of pain. And that's when it hit me. She hadn't told anyone, hadn't turned to anyone. She had been suffering in silence. I felt my heart plummet into a pit of darkness. Guilt and shame surged over me. I had put her through so much and I could never take any of it back.

'Thanks,' I muttered, taking my top from her. As I was putting my shirts back on, I noticed that she was watching me with an almost wistful expression.

'You've changed,' she said quietly, her tone echoing sadness.

'Someone's in a perceptive mood today,' I said hesitantly. I had no idea where this was going. 'In what way?' I asked cautiously.

'I don't know, you just have.'

'Is that a compliment or an insult?'

'I haven't figured it out yet,' she admitted.

I gazed at her and her eyes searched mine for something. Strength. Hope. Could I give that back to her?

'You're wrong you know,' I told her. Her eyes were swept with confusion. 'About being another girl on the heap,' I clarified.

A hard flint clouded her eyes, a mixture of defiance, bitterness and anguish.

'Drake, I said-'

'Are you not going to hear me out or listen to what I have to say?' I asked, desperation tainting my voice. If she could give me a chance, just one chance...

Her expression altered at my tone and she softened.

'If you can give me five reasons why I should listen to you, then maybe I'll consider it.'

'Even if I can give you those five reasons, it's still not a guarantee?'

She gave me an even look.

'No. Just like you weren't my guarantee.'

She had me there. How did she do that? She had a way with words that hit me with a sharp jab every time, bringing to the surface memories that I wasn't proud of. I was going to get her to listen to me. I had to.

'Fine. Five reasons,' I said, nodding slowly.

'You have four weeks. Make them good.'

She turned on her heel and walked out of the room. I quickly went after her, in no hurry to end the little time I was getting with her.

'By the way,' she began conversationally as I caught up with her. 'I'm sleeping next door to you.'

I looked at her in surprise.

'Really? I thought Lena would have put you further down. Not that it's a problem,' I hastily added before she got the idea that I wasn't happy with her sleeping next door tome. The opposite in fact. I silently thanked Lena for this little bonus that she was blessing me with.

'You have an amazing view though,' I continued. 'Hey, you checked out the curtains? They're remote-controlled. It is so cool.'

She laughed. 'Why do I get the impression that you've been living a very privileged lifestyle?'

'Lena told you about me living here? It's only temporary. After the wedding, I'll be moving out. In the meantime,' I grinned at her mischievously. 'Make the most of what you have.'

We walked upstairs and suddenly, Lena popped out of nowhere.

'There you are! I've been looking for you!' she pulled Brooke's arm and dragged her towards her bedroom. Brooke looked at me apologetically as she was being led off.

'Sorry,' she mouthed.

I smiled and raised my hand at her, then went into my room. I sank onto my bed and held the photograph I had of Brooke and me. It was all I had left of us and I didn't want to let it go. And Brooke? Well her reception was fairly warmer than this morning. Looking back on this afternoon, maybe things were about to change.

I had taken my stance on the battlefield.

Brooke's POV

Lena pulled me into her room and I just knew what was coming.

'Why were you manhandling me?' I asked curiously.

She ignored me. 'Gossip. Now.'

I groaned and flopped onto her bed as she swivelled on the wheelie chair at her computer.

'There is no gossip. As you very well know, I'm a boring person who leads a boring life in a boring city.'

There was a pause and I turned onto my side to look at her. She was looking at me critically.

'Pitiful. How many guys have you bedded?' she demanded.

'Lena!' I was shocked. Leave it to Lena to come out with it like that. 'None,' I said truthfully.

'Liar.'

'I am NOT lying! I swear.'

'You haven't slept with a single guy in your whole life?' her eyebrows disappeared into her hair, such was her disappointment.

'My, you do have a boring life. When did you get so....old? The situation's worse than I thought.' I threw a pillow at her.

'Lena, judging by your standards, even if I bedded a guy a week, I wouldn't even come close to your numbers.'

'Heck girl, a guy a day wouldn't!'

I laughed.

'So, why the lack of excitement in your life?'

I shrugged. 'It's not something you chuck away like that. It has to be someone special and...I'm still waiting for him. I want it to mean something, you know? And it can't mean something if the guy doesn't mean anything. I haven't met him yet.' That was a lie. I knew exactly who I was saving it for and he was the one I'd been waiting for; he was just out of my reach.

He may have done a lot of things, but it's still him. And it will always be him. This afternoon had proved that. I had broken my number one rule: stay away from Drake. But being in his company had felt so right. I enjoyed being with him. I was overwhelmed with conflicting emotions.

Lena brought me back to the present.

'God, you're so....holy,' she chuckled.

I scowled and she lapsed into laughter.

'What about Drake hmmm?'

'What about him?' I asked nonchalantly. She had to bring him up. She jumped next to me on the bed and I sat up straight, crossing my legs.

'What do you think of him?'

'He's okay,' I said indifferently. I am such a terrible liar. He took my breath away. His beautifully sculpted body and perfectly toned abs had been making it extremely difficult to concentrate in the laundry room.

'He's yummy!' a dreamy look crossed her face.

'Lena....' I warned.

'What?' she protested.

'You're getting married in two weeks.'

'Exactly. Two weeks of freedom girl!'

'He's younger than you,' I pointed out.

'Oooh, I sense a little over-protectiveness!' I could feel my cheeks reddening and a hot flush creeping up my neck. I silently cursed Lena.

'What's the story?' she asked.

I shrugged. 'No story.'

'Come on Brooke. You expect me to believe that? You said you know the guy and that it's complicated.' She said the last part while making air quotation marks. 'There has to be some story there,' she persisted.

'We share a mutual friend who introduced us. We met coincidentally a few times. We had a drink. That's it. The rest is irrelevant details which believe me, are so boring, they'd put Eastenders to shame.' What a lie. What a lie. I averted my gaze so I'd give nothing away.

'Why do I sense that I'm not getting the whole truth?'

'You're reading too much into it,' I replied flippantly. 'You're never satisfied Lena.'

'No, I'm not.' She narrowed her eyes. 'You and Drake have something and while you're denying any past chemistry or whatever-'

'I'm not denying any-'

She raised her voice over mine. 'There is something there. You just have to realise it.' She sat there looking at me smugly.

'Lena, no matchmaking,' I warned. 'It never works.'

'Wait till it's your turn to get married,' she said, smirking.

'Speaking of, how's it going?'

'Fine. I mean I still have to hand out last-minute invitations, sort out the flower arrangements, finalise my hair and nail appointments and the final fitting of the dress is in a few days,' she rattled off. 'But yeah, it's all fine.'

I laughed. She was such a control freak.

'Busy bide huh? Just make sure you don't drop like a ragdoll when walking down the aisle,' I joked.

'I think I've done it enough times to do it expertly with my eyes closed.'

Then she looked at me seriously.

'I'm scared, Brooke.' She got off the bed and turned away from me, facing the wall.

'What if I mess up this marriage as well?'

'You didn't mess up those marriages, Lena. They did. And you deserve better,' I said fiercely.

She sighed and rejoined me on the bed. She looked so vulnerable. I reached over and hugged her tightly.

'This one is it. I can feel it,' I whispered.

I pulled back and wiped away a single tear that was falling down her cheek. She smiled tearfully.

'You're so optimistic. I've always wished I was more like you. You're so strong in your views. I wasn't kidding about being 'holy'. I envy that. Having that one guy, it means so much. Don't be like me Brooke. Don't screw up because you'll regret it. When you find him, don't let him go.'

I swallowed. Maybe I already had....

'Is Enrique the one?' My voice came out as a croak.

'Well it's my fourth time finding out. Who knows?' she said bitterly. 'I've been a lot of things, Brooke. None of them good. The parties, the drinking....the boys. It's not really a surprise I'm here is it?' Her eyes welled up with tears.

'That's not true. The Lena I know is strong, loving, committed. Those guys don't know what they lost when they let you leave their lives.' I held her hand.

'The Lena you know, is the Lena that Enrique sees. I hope it's enough. I love him so much Brooke. It's different. I'm not the person I was and he sees that. He gets me, you know? Like no one else ever has.'

'Are you ready for it?' I asked her softly.

'When are we ever ready for it? You can have a year, you can have five years, you will never be ready to say those two words. "I do". It's the shortest phrase but the longest sentence of your life.'

Continue Reading