Resisting the Bad Boy

By JasmineCroft_

"Don't think," he whispers into my ear. I hesitate. "I-" His lips on mine silence the rest of my words. He s... More

Before You Read
[1] "Archer Cross"
[2] "High School"
[3] "This'll Make it Better"
[4] "Who's Sweatshirt?"
[5] "Shining Knight"
[6] "You Broke Up"
[7] "Little Dove"
[8] "Flighty"
[9] "I Honestly Forgot"
[10] "Raven Micheals"
[11] "Go Get Him"
[12] "Almost Cute"
[14] "Look Pretty"
[15] "Son of a Bitch"
[16] "I Have an Idea"
[17] "Oh?"
[18] "Points for Little Dove"
[19] "Then Who was it?"
[20] "There's no Way"
[21] "Kiss"
[22] "I Know"
[23] "Archer v. Grant"
[24] "Date Me"
[25] "Sunflowers"
[26] "Inconsistent"
[27] "Kade Fosters"
[28] "I promise"
[29] "Hot Chocolate"
[30] "Sleep"
[31] "Don't think"
[32] "Keys"

[13] "You're Kidding"

6.9K 244 37
By JasmineCroft_

A SWIFT knock sounds at the door and I whip my head over to see Archer. He looks over at me too, annoyance plastered on his face. He sighs, walking over to the door and I following behind him not knowing what else to do.

He unlocks the deadbolt and swings the door open.

"What?" Archer asks, his voice firm.

I peek around Archer's body, using him as a human shield and having no shame about it. If there's anyone I'd want protecting me, it's Archer. He could scare someone away with a simple look. When I looked around his torso, I expected to see Leila or something-anything but the simply dressed man in a black trench coat and darkened shades. I cock my head as he peers over at me as if I'm a small bug.

"Another conquest I see," the man says.

     I recoil, furrowing my brows.

"What do you want, Gerard," Archer asks, not moving from his position at the door.

He doesn't even comment on the statement from...Gerard was his name. He gives off such a vibe that I really don't know how to feel about it.

"Your mother sent me," he says, his voice almost monotone and his posture straight.

Archer's tense. Way more stiff than I've seen him before. I wonder who this guy is to him for him to react this way. Archer doesn't react to people, he more like makes other people take action to leave his presence, so this person must be powerful to him. Important.

     "I'm fine," he says.

     "I'm sure," he says, showing the first emotion I've witnessed from him so far-sarcasm.

     He steps right into the house, budging past Archer and bumping his shoulder. My jaw drops and I step back as Archer is nudged aside. I watch him with eyes as wide as saucers because no one-no one barges into Archer Cross's home and gets away with it.

His confidence is crazy.

"I see you've kept up the place, Archer," Gerard says.

"I have. I'm not an animal, Ger. I know how to clean up," Archer responds.

Ger? So this guy has a nickname? That's why he's allowed to push boundaries I guess.

     "So who are you exactly?" mystery man asks and turns to me.

I shrink, biting my lip and awkwardly fiddling with my hands.

     "We're...ah, he's..." I trail off, chancing a quick glance at Archer.

"She's a friend. Now you didn't answer my question," Archer says, going straight to business.

     "I'd like to hear her talk first," mystery man says, looking at me through his dark shades.

     I know I can't see his eyes, but I can just feel the squinting glare-daggers he's throwing at me. I bite my lip, cheeks burning as he keeps his eyes trained on me. I try looking at anything but him.

     "I'm Raven. We live in the same neighborhood," I mutter.

     The dark shaded man leans in towards me, as if trying to hear what I'd said. I gulp, embarrassed at my timid demeanor. I don't dare to repeat myself though and the tension level here is already through the roof. I've got Archer Cross and Mr. Mysterious in front of me and I don't see how this could get any worse.

     "She's not like your main type," Mr. Mysterious says.

     "Forget her, Ger. What do you need?" Archer asks, stepping in front of me and hiding me from Mr. Mysterious' peering eyes.

     I take a deep breath, glad to be out of everyone's eyes.

     "Your mother did send me. She wanted me to check up and see how things have been going. You're almost done with school now," he says.

     "I'm fine, Ger. I've been keeping my head down," I hear Archer say.

     "I'll be staying at the lake house," Mr. Mysterious says.

"That's not necessary," Archer argues.

"Past issues have been threatening to come up again. I suggest you listen up," Mr. Mysterious says, his voice way more harsh and firm.

     Archer crosses his arms, still standing firmly in front of me and keeping his eyes on mystery man. Past issues? What past issues? My thoughts run rampant as I start thinking about countless scenarios.

     "I'm not here to argue, as much as you'd like to think. Just here to monitor the situation," Mr. Mysterious says.

     "Alright, then I think your time here is up," Archer says.

     "I think so too," Mr. Dark and Mysterious says before walking out the door and leaving.

     The door shuts with a resounding click, and the tension drops from Archers shoulders just slightly. I realize how close I was standing behind him and take a few steps back, trying to be as discreet as possible.

"Sorry about that," he says and resumes eating his apple.

     I pull out my phone, thanking the heavens it still works. It's a bit old, but it serves its purpose. I swipe down to Grant's contact and click on it.

i'm at Archer's. it's a super long story, but could you pick me up by chance?

     I set my phone on the counter with a quiet thud.

"So Leila locked you out?" he asks, a question in his voice.

     "Uhh, yeah. I went to give your sweatshirt back because you forgot it—I mean it was still in the dryer and I forgot to give it to you, but she took it the wrong way and locked the door," I say, keeping my explanation short and sweet.

     I had a little slip up in there, but I tried to recover it. I mean he invited me into his house, gave me clothes, and made me food, so blaming him for stuff isn't a nice thank you.

     "Yeah, that was my fault. I completely forgot the sweatshirt," he says, taking the last bite of the apple before throwing it away.

     "It's not a big deal...I mean I know it was an inconvenience to you so I guess it is kind of a big deal, but like not to me as in I'm not mad or—"

     "Raven, Raven, it's alright. You don't have to worry about every move you make here," he says, taking my now empty bowl of noodles and putting it in the sink.

     "I could've—" I start, but cut off short when he turns around and gives me a look.

"I know you could've," he says, leaning a hip against the counter.

     I gulp, trying to keep the quizzical look off my face, but I've never been good at that.

     "What is it?" Archer asks.

     "How do you know there's something on my mind?" I ask.

     "I can see it on your face," he smirks.

     I try to think of something to say to that, but we both know my emotions play on my face like a movie. I look out the window, seeing the rain pour harder and patter the house.

     "It's really raining out there," I say, changing the subject.

     Archer turns to look outside.

     "It is. You're welcome to stay as long as you'd like," he says.

My phone buzzes on the counter and I see a text from Grant.

okay...i'm on my way

     "O-oh no, I'll be out of your hair soon. One of my friends is going to come get me," I say, making a mental note to thank Grant for his timing.

"Ah, okay," he says.

We both envelop in more awkward silence. Or at least that's how it feels to me. I'd never pegged Archer to be the one who would welcome me in and give me food, but I'm sure I've overstayed my welcome.

"Who's coming to get you?" Archer asks.

     "It's Grant. He's normally okay with carting me around and I know I won't be getting inside any time soon. Plus he's got some of my clothes at his house and I should give these back to you," I say looking down at the oversized clothes hanging on my small frame.

"Grant has your clothes? Huh. Well I should grab your clothes out of the dryer then," he says.

"J-just like sweatshirts and—wait I can grab my stuff. Just tell me—or guide—guide me to the laundry room?" I say, stumbling over my words as to not be impolite.

I don't want Archer seeing my undergarments and stuff. Throwing them in the washer was one thing, but to pick it all out and stuff...no no no, I'll do it.

"Down that hall, second door on the left," he says, his tone cold.

"O-okay. Thanks," I say, feeling a little small and padding my way over to where he pointed.

Once I find it, I swap out of the clothes in the bathroom I showered in, and fold all the stuff to lay neatly on the counter. When I'm done, I walk back into the kitchen and find Archer opening the door. I gulp as he finds Grant on the other side. Just in that moment, my phone buzzes on the counter to signal a notification. I look down at the screen, wanting to roll my eyes at the timing.

grant atwood: here

     I swipe it off the counter, awkwardly making my way to the front foyer where I entered with Archer before. The guys give each other a nod and almost imperceptible greetings and I know I need to make this fast. My cheeks heat and my steps falter at the awkwardness and tension in the room from the two guys looking at me. Goodness, I can practically feel their eyes drilling into me.

     "Thanks for everything...I folded the clothes and set them on the bathroom counter," I say, quietly to Archer.

     "Anytime," he says, surprising me with that answer.

     I don't get it--why he'd say that. Boys are confusing.

     "Let's go. The rain is still pretty rough right now. When it dies down, I can bring you back to your place," Grant says.

     "Yeah, that's probably a good idea," I say, turning towards the door.

     Grant opens it for me and places a hand on my back to lead me out. I stumble down the steps, not used to him ever doing that. We both head to his black Audi and I step into the passenger side, waiting for him to get in the drivers side and start the car. The rain pours on the windshield with a heavy patter and it's safe to say our clothes are now damp.

     "Thanks for picking me up," I say, brushing the hairs sticking to my face away.

     "Mhmm," Grant says.

     I can tell something's off.

     "What? Are you mad?" I ask, a little anxious to hear his answer.

     "I'm not mad," he says, keeping his eyes glued to the road.

     At this point, I don't know if it's because he needs to as the visibility and roads are bad, or if he's deliberately not looking at me.

     I sink into my seat a little.

     "I'm really not mad, Ray. But I never said I wasn't a little peeved to hear you were at Archer Cross' house of all fucking people," he says.

     "Cussing," I mutter under my breath.

     "Sorry," he says, looking a little sheepish.

     I continue, "He didn't do anything. Actually, he wasn't like how a bunch of people say he is."

     "We'll see about that," Grant says and that ends the conversation.

• • •

I'm sorry it's been ages since I've updated! I'm alive I promise. I'm hoping to have updates coming a little faster from now on.

It's been kind of a crazy time for me. Anyways, I hope you all like this chapter:)

Who's Gerard?

Favorite character?

Thanks for reading! It means a lot:)

Jasmine Croft xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

263K 10.5K 29
Started 16.4.17 Finished 7.6.17 HIGHEST RANK IS #10 IN TEEN FICTION :) Current cover is by @Aisling_Page "Hey," an unfamiliar voice said behind me, I...
16.6M 310K 26
He leaned in closer, if that was even possible, his spearmint breath fanning across my face. My breathing got caught in my throat as he lowered his m...
13.7K 510 64
Isabella Harper, a nineteen-year-old, lost her color vision after her sister's suicide. She shut down herself from everyone and remained in her world...
229K 7.8K 65
{Book one of A Different Kind Of Fairy Tale Series} *She pushed herself off of me and sat down in the seat in front of me. "I admit you're insanely a...