Even if it's none out of nine...

By Yoongay-G-U-STD

As their souls die in one world, it enters another; the cycle occurring a total of nine times, giving a soul... More

[note; happy birthday]
[IMPORTANT] WARNINGS⚠️
If I knew what happened to our souls after we die,
then my only wish would have been to not have yours fated with mine.
I'd hope to not see you in my next lifetime;
but, each time, we find each other,
Though, each time, I love you.
And, even if all nine end with unhappiness,

always in a state of hopeless love and painful partings.

322 20 184
By Yoongay-G-U-STD

"Where have you been, Taehyung? I was looking for you. Are you doing well?" These are words Taehyung has never heard, even when he comes back after leaving the city for a whole day.

No one cares enough about him. He's the middle child of seven children, never really paid attention to after he got into high school, due to his defect. Although, he wouldn't call it a curse anymore as it lets him get away with his exploration for land.

So, now that he's out of college, too, and is out on wanting to discover new places -- as a biologist, wanting to learn more. But, he isn't interested in marine biology, but more so in terrestrial biology -- but that isn't allowed.

He knows the law, but he finds it absurd that merfolks and humans can't live in harmony just because of some stupid war that took place a few decades ago.

"Ah, Tae, can you brush and braid my hair? Hoseok is refusing to," one of his sisters, Miyeon, asks him, and without a word he takes the brush in her hand and goes around to her back, and brushes, then braids it until done -- while listening to her complaining about how Hoseok is such a bad brother.

"I should ask you next time too!" she says, not even throwing him a thank you before leaving for her date, swimming out her window. Probably out to meet some guy she met in class.

Taehyung sighs, swimming to his bedroom -- thankfully he has his own and doesn't have to share with someone else.

He wonders if he should continue searching for actual land with people in them -- even if he wasn't born with the ability to change his tail into legs like most of the merfolk were, to step into caves and land within the sea itself, and also probably because of Atlantis that he learned about in history. That's probably why his parents don't give him attention either -- he's a defect. They don't want him nor can get rid of him.

His eyes close as he relaxes on his coral bed and thinks about land, imagines such a place, and all the animals he could find there.

He smiles as he thinks about actually finding terrestrial animals one day and studying them -- how interesting would they be? He's seen a few glances of birds when he's surfaced once during a field trip, and it looked way too cool to exist!

Tomorrow, he thinks, I'm definitely going to find a quiet land tomorrow.

And, as he'd promised to himself, he does, he gets so excited he almost jumps up into the air, but it soon dies down, knowing the cruelty of humans towards his kind, he quickly submerges back down and goes towards a land cave to surface, hoping to find a cool animal!

With a bright smile, he puts his arms over the rocks of the cave's ground to hold himself up without flapping his fins -- which was further in to the opening of it, so he was hidden from view.

It's dark -- and he really wishes he was born with the ability to turn his fins to legs when he hears something move -- it might be something that can kill him and eat him up, but dying that way sounds exciting and adventurous to him than scary. But, merfolks are friends with the sea, so the sea would help him out, right?

With that in mind, he tries to lean closer to look, but then all of a sudden, there's light, fire suddenly appearing and he swears he sees a dragon!

Eyes wide, he actually thinks it's best if he swims away -- hearing that dragons are creatures who protect human towns. If that's so, then they definitely wouldn't spare merfolks.

However, just as he's about to push himself back and dip back down, there's a voice.

"Wait!"

A lantern lights up and a person suddenly comes into view, dressed in a traditional robe, and Taehyung wouldn't say he's scared of the human, he would be if he was on land, but he's still in the sea, so he's calm -- and safe. He's safe, he repeats to himself. The sea keeps him safe.

Then he remembers -- wait, the dragon cave doesn't allow humans? "You're human?"

The person smiles, stepping closer and crouching down -- even though Taehyung has gotten his arms off the rocks and already is a few feet back, in his defense.

"I'm a dragon. I have a human form. You're a merfolk?" The dragon seems to be delighted to see him -- which he can't seem to understand, but it does calm him down a little.

I didn't know dragons could have a human form, Taehyung thinks, quite excitedly. "Yeah... Do you have a name?"

"I do. I am called Park Jimin," he says, eyes twinkling like he's expecting an introduction back.

"O-oh..." Taehyung feels slightly flustered, he's never seen someone with such a beauty before. "I'm called Kim Taehyung."

"Okay, then, nice to meet you Taehyung-ssi. Which mer-city are you from?" Jimin asks, genuinely curious and seeming interested to know more about Taehyung. Then, he widens his eyes and looks at him guiltily, "Ah, sorry, I got too excited because it's been a long time since I've met a merfolk, you don't have to answer anything if you don't want to."

Taehyung's cheeks heat up, and he shakes his head, swimming close to the rocks again. "It's okay. I've never met a dragon either. I'm from North Atlantis."

When Taehyung looks closer, he actually notices that Jimin doesn't fully look human, he has a reddish glow to him, and his smile is so bright, making him look prettier than any human ever could.

"Oh, North Atlantis! I know someone from North-East Atlantis, I wonder if you've met him? It's just around here somewhere... I think he calls himself the Sea Witch?" Then, he giggles, "He's quite soft though. Don't really think he holds up that title on a visual level."

"No, I haven't seen him but I've heard of him... I did pass by North-East Atlantis when I came by though," Taehyung says. Then, he smiles, "Maybe one day, I will."

Jimin's eyes twinkle, "So, what brings you here, Kim Taehyung-ssi?"

Flapping his tail a little -- in excitement -- Taehyung answers, "I want to see terrestrial animals! Study them... find as many new species as I can, and understand them. Studying the marine ones got boring for me."

"I see," Jimin mutters, smile not fading. "That's a very lovely reason. You like learning about animals?"

Nodding cutely, Taehyung gleams, "They're very interesting!"

Eyes crinkling, Jimin nods, "Indeed they are. Hope you get a chance to see much more, Kim Taehyung-ssi." Then, he looks up and outside, through the small entrance of the cave -- to check the time, probably -- and his eyes glimmer from the reflection of light, looking breathtakingly mesmerizing.

Taehyung's jaw almost drops at the sight, eyes wide in awe. But, then Jimin looks down at him with an apologetic look making Taehyung's heart drop for a second as well -- he was really enjoying their conversation!

But, there appears to be a hopeful smile on Jimin's lips as he speaks his next words. "I'll see you another day, okay? I have to go back to town. It was really fun talking to you, I hope we can do this again."

Blinking, Taehyung processes the words, then a bright grin appears on his lips as he nods. "Yeah! See you tomorrow, Park Jimin."

Nodding at him, Jimin stands back up. "Hope you make your way back safe."

"You too," Taehyung says back before waving as Jimin bows and turns around and enters back into the darkness -- there's probably a way out through land, Taehyung thinks before he pushes himself away from the shore.

His smile is bright as he submerges under, smiling the whole way as he swims back home, thoughts full of the dragon with a pretty smile.

Taehyung feels no remorse of being happy when he leaves his home to meet Park Jimin the dragon, swimming the same way he swam yesterday, knowing the feel of the current and making his way around, rising up exactly where he submerged the day before.

He is a little earlier than yesterday, wanting to spend more time with Park Jimin.

His eyes twinkle as he looks into the darkness, hoping Jimin had noticed him.

"You're here!" he hears a familiar voice say, Jimin's figure walking out into the dimly lit part of the cave. His face is lit up with happiness as he fully sits down this time, crossing his legs. "I've been waiting for you."

Heart thudding as he gleams back, Taehyung leans on the surface available as he smiles up at Jimin, much closer in distance than yesterday -- the sight of Jimin's prettiness in even better view.

Sheepishly laughing, Taehyung lets out, "All I've been thinking about since yesterday is to meet you again." Then, he wonders if it's too bold, if he's coming off too strong, but the shimmer in Jimin's eyes give his heart a pleasant squeeze and he thinks -- it's just right.

"That's delightful," Jimin says, eyes curved happily. "So, Kim Taehyung, what is your favorite color?"

This makes Taehyung laugh, as it was a known joke between all kinds -- almost a jab at humans -- for being such a ridiculous question to ask someone on a date. "Blue, of course. Yours?"

With a giggle, Jimin answers as well, laughter in his voice as he looks at Taehyung's bright hair, "I like blue too." Then, his laughter slightly muted, still looking delighted as he doesn't stray his eyes from Taehyung's, he asks another question, "What is the world to you, Taehyung-ssi?"

The conversation turns serious, but their happiness hasn't died down. Jimin knows how to enter a conversation with a merfolk: start off light, but also curious and thoughtful. It's important to decide bases when people wish to seek a relationship further than acquaintanceship, so Taehyung appreciates it, heart fluttering at the question -- it could almost be taken as flirting in merfolk, and Jimin seems to know by the way his eyes shine with slyness.

Resting his head on his arm, Taehyung peeked up at Jimin through his eyelashes. "Truly? I think everything ends regardless of what we do -- no matter how much we've affected this Earth, one day it'll be gone, and so will we and the legacy we've left behind." His smile doesn't leave his lips as he watches Jimin's do the same, eyes still looking at him intensely. Then, he gives a small knowing nod, "But, I think we should make the best of it while we're here, as we've been given the chance to."

There's a thoughtful look on Jimin's face, his smile not dropping still. Instead, he decides to avert gazes look away from Taehyung and towards the sea. "I think you're right. Additionally, for me, it's also that we've been given the chance to be a part of this and see the beauty of the universe, yeah?"

Taehyung hadn't noticed his heart pacing until now, cheeks flushed at the direction of the conversation. "Yeah," he murmurs shyly, lips still up in a grin.

Then, Jimin looks back at him, eyes curving even more as he beams, "You're cute, Taehyung-ssi."

"A-ah, please, after that type of question, just call me Taehyung," Taehyung mutters, eyes cast down, flustered by Jimin's boldness.

There's a light chuckle before Jimin softly pinches Taehyung's cheek, "You're cute."

Taehyung smiles wide at the words, cheeks still flushed and adorable. He asks, "How long can you stay here?" He wants to spend more time with him, want to know him more, know what other beautiful parts he has to himself.

Jimin hums a little before answering, "A little longer than yesterday. I'd skipped a meal yesterday, so I had to hurry back. Today, I came in after eating so I could stay longer," he explains, showing his bright teeth as he gleams.

"I'm glad!" Taehyung says happily, leaning more forward on his arms and looking at Jimin with twinkling eyes. "So, tell me more. About your opinions on the world and it's problems?"

Jimin shifts closer a little, getting himself comfortable before he nods and says, "Of course. But, you better tell me yours too after I do."

Laughing, Taehyung says, like it's obvious, "Wouldn't dream of anything else."

Even after a month of Taehyung doing this daily -- the time he got to see Jimin being less on certain days due to him getting an internship at a vet the other day. But, their fondness for each other seems to just grow and grow the more they see each other.

"Oh! You're here," Jimin says, noticing Taehyung at the edge like always. "Sorry to keep you waiting," he mutters. He had just come in -- already done his daily routine as the dragon, but had to leave for food and then come back for Taehyung.

"It's okay, I swam around for a bit," Taehyung says as he watches as Jimin's eyes glow and suddenly turn red. "Woah," he mutters. He'd seen dragon Jimin in action, but never in his human form.

There's a giggle from the dragon, "Just gonna use my fire for a bit," he mutters before approaching one wall, and blowing gently, a stream of fire flowing out to touch a torch on the wall. He does the same to the remaining three in the cave, lighting the place up.

Then, he turns to Taehyung, eyes smiling with his lips. "I've prepared something for you." With that, he steps closer to Taehyung, crouching down and extending both his arms to get close and around Taehyung's body. "Hold on to me," he says, taking the merman by surprise as his arms are put around Jimin. He tightens his hold as asked and feels Jimin get a grip on him as well, before strongly pulling him up, carrying him effortlessly.

Heart thudding, Taehyung's cheeks flush as he feels Jimin's pace too, pulling him closer as Jimin walks the two more on the inner part of the cave, where it's been lit up as well.

"Here, you can see what my place looks like now, and we can talk more comfortably," Jimin says, just loud enough for Taehyung to hear as he gently lowers him onto a small bathtub, it's filled with water so Taehyung's tail wouldn't dry out.

"This... is this a boat?" Taehyung asks, looking at it, bewildered. But, he's also smiling, heart full because of Jimin and his thoughtfulness.

There's a soft laugh that squeezes Taehyung's heart. "No, it's a bathtub. Humans use it to clean themselves. I do too. So, I guess it's more so land-dwellers."

"...Thank you," Taehyung says warmly.

"It's interesting how you can't turn your tail into legs. Don't mermans usually do that? For water-caves, and back when they had Atlantis above water?"

Taehyung glowers, clearly upset at this topic.

Jimin panics, he opens his mouth as fast as he can so he can take the words back, and apologize for it instantly, but Taehyung beats him to it and starts explaining.

"Yeah, they can. But, I was born without it. My whole family can but me, and they always let me know how I'm not a real merfolk because of it. They change so often and rub it in to my face."

"Oh, Taehyung... It's okay," Jimin softly says, comfort oozing off his tone. "You're beautiful with or without it, it doesn't define you. You're lovely, and you're Kim Taehyung-- you're lovely because you're Kim Taehyung, everything that's happened has brought you here, and that's nothing to be ashamed of." Taehyung's eyes well up with tears at the words, his lips forming a light pout as he gets ready to cry.

Jimin continues. "I'm proud of you, actually. It's hard to live like that when people within your family tell you stuff like that, so I'm really... really proud of you." The way Jimin's eyes hold the most affection twinkle gives Taehyung an overwhelming feeling of acceptance -- something he's sought all his life.

"W-wait, why're you crying? Oh my, I didn't mean to make it worse, I'm so sorry, so sorry, Taehyung, I'm sorry, please don't cry," Jimin says, sounding panicked as he pulls Taehyung close into a hug, hearing his sniffles and feeling his warm tears against his neck. He soothingly rubs his back in hopes of making him feel better.

"I cry easily when it comes to things like this, it's okay," Taehyung says, voice thick from crying.

"And, no, you didn't make it worse," he continues, his arms going around Jimin's shoulders as he holds him close. He sighs, heart content. "You made it better."

By the second month of their regular meet-ups after finishing his internship as well, Taehyung's already smiling before he rises from the water, lips stretched out in delight.

Usually, Jimin would change forms once he sees Taehyung and carry him over to the tub, but this time, he's already at the shore, legs dangling off with his shoes on his side, the fabric of his pants wetting without care.

His lips also mirror Taehyung's when he sees him, instead of carrying him over to the tub, he pushes himself off and slips into the water, surprising the merman.

"W-what?" Taehyung asks, cheeks pink as he watches Jimin surface again, hair wet and pushed back with his hand, looking at him happily.

"Just wanted to go on a swim with you," Jimin simply says, squeezing Taehyung's heart delightfully.

"Okay," is his shy answer as Jimin gently grasps his hand and pulls him down and into the water.

"I know I'm not as fast as you in this form, but I hope you don't mind?" Jimin murmurs underwater, swimming away from the cave, pulling Taehyung along.

"Don't mind at all," Taehyung says quickly, heart suddenly racing. Then, he murmurs shyly, "I'm very happy actually, swimming with me... thank you for this."

Jimin doesn't say anything, just gives him his usual eye smile and pulls him along.

After a few minutes, Taehyung recognizes where they're heading. "Oh!" he exclaims, excited.

Chuckling, Jimin says, "I thought you'd like it."

And, just after a few minutes of silent swimming, hands still held together, they arrive, surfacing to the pretty sight of a bed of water-lilies.

They stay afloat for a few seconds, just gazing at the pretty sight before Taehyung gives Jimin a side glance. It takes a second for Jimin to notice and turn to him and smile brighter.

"Can I hold on to you? It's been a while since I've gone rested on water..." Jimin mutters, all of a sudden, eyes suddenly shying down, flustered.

Shifting closer, Taehyung nods, "You can hold on all you want."

And, there's a soft giggle before Jimin wraps his arm around Taehyung's shoulders, holding him close to keep balance.

There's a beat of silence before Taehyung asks, "How long do you think this will last?" It's quite a serious question, but he speaks assuredly and hushed. It's more of a question of anticipation of what the two have more than an accusation.

"However long we can go," replies Jimin, in the same tone. It makes Taehyung smile, because they know. They know it's long.

"Speaking of that, what's the life-span of a dragon?" Taehyung's question makes Jimin chuckle into his shoulder.     

"Around a hundred years or so for me, other types have different life spans, some shorter some far longer," Jimin explains.

Taehyung looks at him for a second, and Jimin waits with a smile, like he knows what's coming.

"What's the legal age for dragons?"

There's a gasp of laughter before Jimin answers, "Twenty. I'm twenty-three." Then he goes on, teasing Taehyung even when he knows the answer. "What about merfolks?"

There's a faint blush that appears before Taehyung mumbles, "It's the same as you guys... I'm twenty-three too."

"Oh! How perfect~" Jimin hums, delighted.

"Yeah." Smiling way too wide, Taehyung's eyes don't leave Jimin, dreamy twinkles shining in them, forgetting completely about the water-lilies.

In all the times Taehyung has traveled to get to Jimin -- for five months or so -- he's never seen anyone crossing paths until now, having been really discreet.

There's a dark haired merman, tail shiny black, face flushed as he mumbles to himself, slowly swimming past Taehyung.

"--stupid bunny-looking merman idiot, saying stuff like that. I swear I'll punch him the next time--"

Eyeing the guy, Taehyung quickly tries to pass the area, not wanting to be noticed. But suddenly the random black tailed merman speaks.

"Wait! You blue-tailed merman! You're Kim Taehyung, right?"

Hearing his name, Taehyung halts, turning around to face the stranger, who was getting closer - much to his discomfort. "W-wait!" Taehyung says, raising his voice, a little scared of the stranger who seems to not mind his own business. "Don't touch me, I'm part of the Kim Family, you know?" he hates pulling that card, but he has to do what he has to do for safety.

The guy sighs, raising his hands, "Relax, kid, I know who you are. I'm not gonna do anything of harm. I'm Min Yoongi, known as the Sea Witch around Sub-Atlantis."

"You're Jimin's friend!" Taehyung exclaims, remembering the vague words Jimin had spoken about the sea witch.

"Yeah!" Yoongi nods, grinning widely.

"Oh! Do you want to go and meet him together?" Taehyung offers, gladly wanting to befriend a friend of Jimin's.

Then, Yoongi glowers. "Well, I wanted to talk to you about him actually," Yoongi says, frowning a little. "I know you've been meeting him." There's a sigh as Taehyung waits, dreading something that has been looming in his head for a while now.

"And, technically since he isn't human, it should be okay, but you're still considered to be 'stepping into territory of humans'. And, I think so far, only I've seen you, but even if I don't mind, doesn't mean the judiciary won't either. Consider your choices, okay? I know... I know you've had it hard," Yoongi mutters sadly.

Taehyung doesn't know how Yoongi knows, but he can feel the sincerity, the fact that Yoongi knows how much Taehyung doesn't like being home, doesn't call it his home. Because even if by certificate, Taehyung is known under the Kim family, his parents have socially disowned him as a figure of it -- not mentioning him or bringing him in at all to big noble events, due to his defect. He was glad most of education in his city was free; he was sure he'd die off like his family wanted if he lived in South-Atlantis where you have to pay for school.

"Thank you, Min Yoongi-ssi, but... what choices do I have?" Taehyung mutters, a little exasperated. "Migration is hard, especially with a family name like mine. So, I can't just move to South-East Atlantis."

There's a pause of thought. "Hmm, you can't turn your tail into legs, right? I could do that for you? Make you human."

"What?" Taehyung couldn't believe his ears. He could turn into human? With Yoongi's help?

"Well... it's more complicated than that," Yoongi quickly adds, shaking his hands a little to emphasize his point. "It's permanent, and you'll have to live out the water." Then suddenly, Yoongi's eyes widened. "Oh, no! I have to be somewhere!"

Throwing a look of concern at Taehyung, Yoongi quickly says, "Think it through, yeah? I'll come talk to you in a week or so. Be careful when you meet Jimin! I really have to go now! I forgot I had to attend something. And also, call me hyung. Bye, Taehyung!" he's swimming away as he shouts the words, waving his hand without looking back, leaving Taehyung suspended still among sponges and corals, and a school of fish swimming past him.

He rests at the moment of stillness before sighing and turning back around to swim to Jimin, heavy thoughts in his head.

For the first time, Taehyung takes quite some time to get there. He spent the whole way thinking about what Yoongi had said.

Even when Jimin is standing right there, his feet in front of his eyes, he's too in thought to look up.

"Tae?" Jimin says, crouching down, a worried look on his face. "You okay?" Still nothing. "Taehyung?"

And only then, Taehyung's eyes snap up to look at Jimin, widening in surprise, looking around. "I'm already here?"

Jimin's brows are furrowed. "Is everything alright? Did you eat well today?" then he pushes his hand softly against Taehyung's forehead. He's got a slight frown. "You don't have a fever... "

Taehyung's eyes soften. "I'm fine. Just a lot of thoughts." There's an unconvinced look from Jimin to which Taehyung chuckles before adding, "I promise."

Sighing, Jimin gives in, a soft smile present, "Alright, then. Now, come on, I gotta hoist you up."

With that, Jimin pulls him up, as gentle as always and as secured as always. He walks over to the tub slowly, looking at Taehyung's slightly flushed face the whole way before he sets him down.

It's really fascinating to Taehyung, how easy everything was, and still is; how close to heart he feels with Jimin despite having met not long ago. It feels like he's known him for centuries. It's so easy to belong to the world when he sees Jimin.

Before Jimin can stand back up straight, Taehyung grasps his jacket, looking shy and pink. He tugs slightly, wanting him close. Not knowing how he could ever refuse Taehyung, Jimin just gleams before sitting on the edge of the tub and hugging him close.

Jimin wants to say that Taehyung can tell him anything -- only if he's comfortable enough. But, he's sure Taehyung knows that their friendship has already developed into an eventual silent understanding of many things after talking through it once, so he's not sure if he should say it say it. He wants to wait until Taehyung is comfortable, he could wait an eternity for him, but he also doesn't like how distraught he seemed. He just wants Taehyung to be okay--

"I love you, Jimin."

A gasp leaves Jimin's lips at the words; a bare of a whisper behind his ear. He's unsure if he even heard it. Suddenly his heart quickens, fast enough that he's sure Taehyung can feel it, and if he pays enough attention, Taehyung's heart is fast too.

Jimin feels like crying, heart bursting as the words finally process as real. His hands unintentionally tighten their grip on Taehyung's back, eyes shut as he hugs him even closer. Wanting him as close as he felt their hearts to be.

"I love you too, Taehyung."

"Ah! Jiyeong, want to go with me to the new bookstore and the art gallery tomorrow? At the market? I heard they recently opened."

"Ah... can we do it the day after, Miyeon-unnie? I have plans with my friend."

"What? Which friend?"

"You know, the one I like."

"Oh~ Okay, I'll buy you a book when I go then. Jiwoo-unnie, you're coming with me then, you said you'd be playing games all day tomorrow."

"Whyyyy~? There's a new pack coming out! Why can't you ask Minju-unnie?!"

"Alright, fine... Minju-unnie--"

"No, I'm not going. I have a meeting. Ask Hoseok."

Taehyung has been sitting and watching this unfold the whole time, a blank look on his face. He's used to this. So used to it that it doesn't even bother him anymore, he just doesn't know what to do.

Maybe he does. Maybe what Yoongi offered him is what he needs right now -- what he needs in his life to make it to what he wants.

"Is passing around the job in this family's genetics...? Whatever, Hoseok! Wow, you walked in the perfect time. Wanna go to the art gallery tomorrow? I heard they're displaying paintings of land animals we've never seen in textbooks."

Oh.

His heart surges in slight excitement at the thought of an art gallery with land animals. His eyes without realizing land on the conversation between one of his sisters and his brother.

"Me?" Hoseok asks, surprised, tilting his head in slight confusion. "I have dance tomorrow." At that, Miyeon looks dejected.

"Who am I supposed to go with? Everyone is busy," she says pouting.

Hoseok pauses, then glances at Taehyung, "I mean, Taehyung likes art and animals. You could take him?"

Miyeon's eyes widen, and everyone else also pauses what they're doing for a second. She looks over at Taehyung, a little surprised that he's been there the whole time.

Taehyung's heart surges with hope. Maybe -- ? maybe --?

Then, she looks down, not really wanting to meet Taehyung's eyes. "Oh... but it's on an island."

The air in room shifts, and Taehyung's heart falls.

Everyone else continues their work, not furthering that conversation. Miyeon awkwardly swims out, avoiding the situation.

Taehyung wonders if the universe hates him. He sinks back into his seat, playing his fingers on the armrest as he thinks. He feels bitter. He can't ever let his hopes high, or it ends like this. If fate's idea was to push him into this situation so he wishes to leave this bad, then maybe getting the offer was meant to be, he thinks. The thought comforts him, but he can't help but feel a certain ache.

Even if no one really pays attention to him, no one in the house is really his friend. He's socially disowned by his parents too. Even so, he's still a child of the house, someone who grew up in the space with those people around him. Is it right to leave like this? With no notice?

The sudden pressure to his left jostles him in surprise. He hadn't noticed Hoseok approaching due to being so lost in thought.

"Taehyung-ah..." Hoseok starts, feeling a little awkward. Hoseok is an angel, a lovely person, but he's always been busy, usually too busy to even hang out with the sisters, so there's no chance for Taehyung.

He jolts at the sudden touch of Hoseok's hand on his shoulder. It's gentle but Taehyung isn't used to this. He looks at his brother, the only brother in the family besides himself. He sees worry sparkle in his eyes. Along with guilt.

There's an unsaid apology that's conveyed that second, something Taehyung can't remember receiving. And, now he feels like crying.

He looks away, eyes welling up with tears, escaping and mixing with the water around him.

Wow, he thinks, bittersweet. He'd grown used to the loneliness at home, the lack of most attention unless for his help on something meaningless. He knows he wouldn't cry because of it anymore. But, it was just an unsaid apology from a brother who he knows he could've befriended if it wasn't for his schedule and their parents.

He isn't sure what this means. He doesn't know what to decide anymore. He knows if he stays here any longer, it'll be the same, same as always. The always he thought he'd get but never wanted.

Hoseok speaks again, voice soft, "You seem to have a lot on your mind." That's all he says, and Taehyung doesn't respond, eyes still avoiding his. He doesn't want to talk -- he wants to, but he knows his resolve will break, the resolve he's built for years now. He doesn't want to do this, this fixation that's too late to execute when his whole life they've all done nothing.

"Ah," Hoseok mutters, seeming to understand. He sounds sad, but Taehyung can't seem to care at the moment. Why couldn't they have done this for the past twenty-three years? He knows that Hoseok isn't the root of the problem, and that his brother probably means well. But, he's sure that Hoseok also knows -- that he's had enough chances to hold out a hand in the past, that holding one out now means Taehyung won't take it.

"Whatever it is you decide, even if I can't show you enough for you to receive... know that... that I support you in whatever you decide. I haven't talked to you much in our lives, but that doesn't mean... that I'm completely clueless about you." His voice sounds shaky, and Taehyung can't find the courage enough to check whether he's crying or not, already on the verge himself, eyes and head facing down as he listens.

"I'm sorry I didn't try hard enough to show you that I love you." And, it breaks. Taehyung's tears spill, the warm liquid dissolving around him. "But, do what you think is right and what makes you happy..." there's a long pause, only the sound of both their shallow breaths. "Even if you have to leave," he whispers. Taehyung's heart drops, tears still escaping. How does he know?

Before he can ask, Hoseok is upright on his tail. Teary yet wide eyes, Taehyung looks at him, wanting to ask, but Hoseok's eyes just reflect that he knows, a sad smile on his lips before he swims out of the room.

Taehyung sits there, eyes burning as more tears spill out. He knows his sisters don't give a fuck, so he contemplates what just happened. Hoseok-hyung? He thinks, all the times they've ever spent together. There's very few, but he does remember finding a random book on terrestrial animals -- a rare one -- on his bed a few years back.

All thoughts run in his head, blending one with another as he tries to come to any form of conclusion. But, all he can do is slump back, cover his eyes with his hand, wanting the tears to stop.

What am I supposed to do?

Remembering Jimin's words about where Yoongi lives, Taehyung searches for him, an hour or so before his usual time with Jimin.

He really hopes that Yoongi is where Jimin said he lives, he doesn't know how to find him otherwise.

As he's in town of North-East Atlantis, scanning his ID before passing the gate. He notices the market closeby, so he enters, hoping for the best with his search.

Hoping it's a better chance of finding him, he decides to ask around instead, since so many know of him.

He sees a muscular merman swimming slowly to pass him, a blush bright on his cheeks.

"Excuse me, mister? Do you know where the sea-witch is?" he asks, catching the attention of the guy, who looks at him wide-eyed.

"What? The sea-witch? Yoongi hyung?" He seems to blush harder before he shyly nods. "Yes, he just... left an hour ago. He's near the South-West Atlantis... said he needed to get something for the next client."

"Hm? Are you okay? Did he do something to you? I'll scold him for you if you want," Taehyung says, a little worried, not noticing that Jungkook is blushing because he's flustered.

"A-ah, no!" Jungkook clarifies, "Nothing like this. We're... close." He says as he shyly looks away.

Finally, Taehyung grins in realization. "Oh, I see."

Huffing, Jungkook just says, "You must be Kim Taehyung if you're looking for him. You should hurry on, he doesn't stay in one place for long. Good luck."

With that, Jungkook swims away, waving a goodbye and disappearing around a building..

With a wide grin, Taehyung makes his way to where Jungkook said Yoongi might be, hoping he doesn't arrive there after the elder has left.

Yoongi is humming as he's looking through his little bag that he carries, making sure he has everything for his next appointment. Nodding to himself after he's sure, he turns around, about to swim away -- to maybe meet with his brother before heading to work.

But, his plans are cancelled once he spots Taehyung, knowing why he's here the second he sees him.

As Taehyung sees Yoongi approach him, he puts on a teasing smile as he says, "So, hyung, I met Jungkook. He says you two are close. Want to share?"

There's a visible surprise on Yoongi's face before his face flushes. "Shut up. If that's what you're here to talk about, then I'm leaving."

With a laugh, Taehyung shakes his head, "No, no, sorry. You know why I'm here."

"Yeah," Yoongi says, tone serious, "You're sure?"

"Yes." There is no hesitation. "I have thought about it a lot, and I've decided there's nothing left for me here."

There's a pause, Yoongi searching for something in Taehyung's eyes. He nods, "Okay. Let's go, then. I don't have much time, so we have to go this quick."

"Where are we going?" Taehyung asks, face softening to confusion.

"You have to turn nearby, after you get your legs, it'll be hard for you to swim like that since you aren't used to it. So, I'll carry you from the South-East border to Jimin."

"Oh! Okay." With that Taehyung swims along with Yoongi, following him to where they're supposed to head.

But, since Taehyung still has questions, he asks as they swim, "What will happen, though?"

"Right. After I tell you, if you want to not do it, that's okay, too, okay?" With that Yoongi gets out a big book and flips through the pages as the two are still swimming towards their destination.

"I don't think I will. I've thought through the worst case scenarios. Including losing my voice," Taehyung adds with a joking smile.

Yoongi laughs, "Ah, don't worry, that's definitely not included. Hm, let's see," he says, finally stopping at a page, still swiftly swimming around some corals and sponges. "It'll take around twenty minutes for it to turn into legs -- that's too long, I'll use a catalyst so it gets done in five. And, of course, you will lose your gills, so you can't breathe underwater anymore, only above."

"That's fine. I always liked breathing up there better."

"Good. Hm... Well, you only lose them once you leave the water after this spell, so you can still get out without worry. And... ah, this might cause some trouble? Avoid the sea as much as you can, or anything connected to it. You're only safe with lakes and ponds. You can't really enter more than a third of your body into it... The sea will take this as a betrayal, and you know the sea, not very forgiving..."

Taehyung thinks it through, and nods, "Yeah, that sounds logical."

"Okay, perfect timing, almost there," Yoongi says, shutting the book and tucking it on his side before speeding up a little, Taehyung swimming right after him. They were swimming around the outer boundaries, so they didn't really run into other merfolk. "Oh, there's the current."

With that, the two get to where they had to on time. The currents are very convenient with travel, existing all over Atlantis as a form of transport -- like trains with humans.

"Okay, just stay still for a bit, let me... find the vial."

"Okay... but, does it... hurt?" Taehyung asks , voice a little small.

With a grin, Yoongi reassures, "No. But, it'll feel a little weird, since you haven't experienced legs before."

"Okay," Taehyung says, and his heart starts thudding as he sees Yoongi pull out the vial. He's nervous, but excited.

Yoongi hands it to him, still looking in his bag. "Here. Put it on, lather it on your tail from below your belly button. I'll find the catalyst. And don't worry, it won't do anything to your hands. I'll have to cast a spell too, so it won't even do anything yet."

Nodding, Taehyung starts doing as Yoongi says. The vial looks small, but it seems to be holding a lot; it doesn't finish no matter how much he takes out. The potion was viscous and it easily stuck to his fins, so he didn't have much trouble with spreading it out.

"Aha! Got it, this one is quite runny, so I'll put it on for you, using a spell though, of course," Yoongi says, shifting closer to Taehyung to apply the next substance. And, soon enough he's putting it away. "Okay. Now, the spell left. Just stay like that."

"Okay," Taehyung mumbles, feeling his heart race. He starts questioning himself a little but then he laughs at himself. He took this long on deciding and now he's questioning it? After a few seconds of thinking back to his reasons as to why, and he breathes out with certainty, nodding to himself. Yes, he's sure he wants to do this. 

"You still want to do this, right?" Yoongi asks, noticing. "It's okay to back out even now, I can easily rewind until here."

"No. I want to do this. Thank you, though, hyung." Taehyung says, with utmost certainty.

There's a small smile. "Okay. Let's start then."

He reaches out his hand and hovers before Taehyung's tails. His eyebrows furrow in focus. There's a few seconds that pass, not a word said as Taehyung watches Yoongi work. And, the part under Yoongi's hand seems to glow a little. Then, with a soft voice, Yoongi utters something, a word in another language that Taehyung cannot understand. And, soon enough, the whole tail is glowing, brightening so much so that the tail is out of sight.

Yoongi retracts his hand and relaxes his shoulders, satisfied. "Okay. Now, just five minutes, and it'll be done."

Taehyung looks down, eyebrows shooting up at the feeling. It feels strange, like your tail falling asleep after sitting for too long. Then suddenly, it feels really strange, and he looks at his tail... which have now separated into two glowing figures. Woah, he thinks, legs...?

"Oh, yeah, hold on to m--" Before Yoongi can finish, Taehyung's new legs have stopped glowing and materialize fully, blue scales still present on the legs.

His heart jumps up in surprise as he yelps  at the equilibrium change, noticing his loss of balance. He quickly throwing his arms around Yoongi's shoulders to hang off of him, steadying himself.

Yoongi shoots a look at Taehyung when the latter giggles at him before rolling his eyes and letting out a smile himself. He stays still to let Taehyung get the hang of having legs, seeing him wiggle his toes as he laughs to himself.

"This feels really weird," Taehyung comments, but his tone is delighted.

"Oh, right, your scales... they're present, but they'll slowly shed. Don't let... humans see that. They'll be gone by is three months, the longest they'll take is a year, okay? Make sure to wear good shoes and pants," Yoongi informs, just remembering.

"Oh! Shoes? Pants? I'll... get to wear them! I almost forgot! That's so exciting!" There's utmost joy in his words, he can't believe his life is changing so drastically, but so much so for the better. All these terrestrial things, with legs and air, and feet, and toes.

And, Jimin. Lovely Jimin.

"Stop being cute and let's go to Jimin. I'll take you there," Yoongi says, taking a deep breath in. "Hold on tight."

It takes them less than five minutes to surface, just at the mouth of Jimin's dragon cave. The lights are on, probably because it's around the time Taehyung usually arrives.

Taehyung breathes in, the air feeling new and addictive now that his gills have gone and only remain as light scars on his lower neck. It's refreshing, without the water present and just air. He feels free.

"Hey, dragon-boy, I brought you your lover," Yoongi says, getting closer to the edge so Taehyung can hold himself up.

Jimin, stepping out from behind a wall of stalagmites, looks visibly surprised, but pleased. He slowly walks towards them, a soft smile present. "Oh, hyung, of course. No one else calls me that. And--" he suddenly flushes, the other words suddenly catching up to him. "W-we aren't--"

Yoongi just snorts, but then nods with a happy look, a little nostalgic. "I see you've become faster in your transformation now. How many years has it been? Three? Two? Well, either way, it was nice to see you again on this occasion."

Tilting his head in confusion as he crouches down, his visible attention already on Taehyung, "What occasion? Is it your birthday? Did you and Jungkook finally become a thing? Last time we talked, he said he wouldn't date you until he crosses twenty-three."

"Shit, is that why?! Fuck, I've been asking him out for a year now, but he always rejects because of that one stupid thing I said when I was intoxicated by a potion...  Well it's just one more year left."

Jimin beckons Taehyung with his arms, wanting to pull him up like usual as he continues his conversation with Yoongi, laughing. "Good luck, hyung. Taehyung, why not?" He suddenly diverts his words to Taehyung, pouting when Taehyung refuses to go into his arms.

There's a fond glance from Yoongi before he leaves them to it. "Well, I'm off, you two. I'm quite busy today."

"See you, Yoongi-hyung! I'm happy that you and Taehyung became friends," Jimin adds, eyes disappearing as he smiles.

"Oh-- hyung," Taehyung says, struggling a little before turning to look at Yoongi. "Thank you so much. Really, thank you."

There's a small smile, "It's no worries. Keep him happy, yeah? Bye~" Then, he's gone, swimming down and away.

"Hm? What was that about? What were you thanking him for? And, why won't you let me get you out?" Jimin asks, still whining.

Taehyung just gives him a 'just wait' look before shifting to the side, not where JImin is crouching down. He's been wiggling his toes and moving his legs the whole time -- despite it feeling odd -- and he wants them out of the water now, by himself this time. So, he sets both of his arms on the edge, checking the balance and friction before he pushes himself up.

There's an apparent struggle, but he tries and tries, knowing that Jimin is watching, wanting to show him.

And, finally, when he gets his body out a little below the waist, he gives the last push upwards, finally out of the water, legs exposed and sprawled, unsure of how he should position them. He lets out the biggest sigh of fatigue, then looks at Jimin -- who's frozen on the spot, eyes wide -- shooting him a tired smile. "Surprise?"

"Oh my god, I-- Taehyung -- You -- what?" Jimin stumbles with his words, still processing what he sees.

Taehyung lets out a sweet laugh, cheeks bunched up in happiness. "Yeah."

"Oh my -- I -- Taehyung--" Jimin is suddenly crying, hands hurriedly going to wipe them, but the tears keep falling and falling, Taehyung's eyes widening as he panics.

He tries to kneel, but his legs wobble and give out very soon. Frantically, he uses his hands to push himself closer to Jimin, reaching out for him, gently removing his hands from his face that were wiping his tears and hiding his face.

"Why are you crying, oh my god, Jimin?! I'm sorry, I didn't tell you because I wanted to surprise you, please don't cry--" he's frantic, reaching out to hold Jimin's face in his hands, wiping the tears away for him, but Jimin is looking at him with such intense eyes, tears not stopping.

Not word a word is spoken; everything is too overwhelming to talk right now, so he just gives the best smile he can at Taehyung before pulling him close. He doesn't care if the hug isn't graceful, or has their arms tangled. He just wants Taehyung close, so he pulls him closer and closer, arms tight around him, face buried on his shoulder as he cries more.

Realizing that Jimin isn't crying because of sadness, Taehyung lets out a sigh of relief as he tries to comfort him back with his embrace.

"Gosh, I love you so much." Jimin's words are said with such intensity that Taehyung's whole body ripples in a delightful buzz. "You're so... I can't even find words, I love you, I love you."

And, Taehyung knows exactly what he means so he tightens his hold as well, "I love you too, so much."

Eventually, Jimin pulls back, eyes red and lips showing immortal happiness. With the fondest and most love in his eyes, he looks down at them, at Taehyung's legs. Then, he looks back up into his eyes, back at Taehyung.

He looks at him like he is the universe; that existence itself came to be so Taehyung could come to.

Leaning to wrap one arm around Taehyung's waist and the other on his cheek, he caresses so lovingly that Taehyung could never imagine a dimension where they don't love each other.

Jimin's tears have stopped but his eyes are still shiny as he can't stop looking into Taehyung's, knowing they'll be spending the rest of time together.

"Kim Taehyung," his eyes don't leave Taehyung's, "My universe," he says, then adds with the most love, "my companion."

Taehyung only now notices that he's been shedding slow tears since Jimin started, not being able to help with all the overhwleming emotions; his sight blurs as he sniffs, burying his head into Jimin's side-neck, holding him tight.

"Park Jimin," he says with a rasp -- from the crying. "My cosmos," he parallels, "my companion."

Taehyung has his legs dipped in the bathtub, alone in the cave. Jimin stayed with him for a few hours, and then realized about the village, and asked him to wait for just twenty or so minutes until he comes back with food and clothes.

He's wiggling his toes, still a little weirded out by the feeling, but it's mostly used to it after a few hours. Yoongi never said if he has to learn how to walk or his body will just know after a while. Currently, he's more comfortable moving his legs, but they're still a little wobbly when walking, and also his body is getting more used to being in a drier environment.

There's a soft thud of the door -- a door Jimin had built when he realized his village's spiritual center was at the cave and didn't want to walk around to the entrance each time. Footsteps approaches him, a little hurried, and Jimin's sweet voice calling, "Taehyung-ah~ I'm back."

Eyes twinkling as he looks at Jimin, Taehyung lets in a gasp of excitement of what's in Jimin's hands. "Pants! And shoes!" Something that merman don't really wear -- they have their legs scaled too, and no genitalia in their human form, so there's really nothing to cover up. But, they did wear shoes on the islands. Two of the things which Taeyung has only seen either in textbooks or in his siblings' closets -- never something he ever imagined he would wear.

Jimin chuckles, nodding as he places those on a desk, only holding a towel. "They're quite loose though, for your comfort, so I got a big towel in case scales fall like hyung said."

"Yeah, some are already shedding, look in the bathtub." And, as Taehyung had said, it was true. There were small blue iridescent scales, scattered in the tub; just then, onee falls off of Taehyung's thigh.

There's a sigh, a thoughtful one from Jimin. "I hope there's no one awake. No one seemed awake when I went in... I guess I can't take any chances, and I'll carry you and take you around the village and to my house..."

"Okay, let me just... clean out the ones already shed but stuck to me," Taehyung mutters, lips in a focused pout as he does so, missing the fond look from Jimin.

"Okay, I'm done, now give me my pants!" Taehyung demands delightedly, to which Jimin just laughs and does as he says. "And, help me put them on."

"As your wish, your highness," Jimin says, bowing slightly with a soft laugh as he helps Taehyung get the pants on. There is a lot of struggle, but nothing they both didn't enjoy, with their whispered words of happiness and affection. Then, they slip on the shoes, which is quite easy, but Taehyung find it fascinating how it feels.

"We're ready to go. If you can't walk by the time we get there, let's try a little, yeah? It's okay if you don't, I'll help you through it."

Taehyung nods, heart surging with joy. "Yeah, let's go."

With that, Jimin wraps Taehyung's lower half of the legs with the towel, to cover the opening of the pants so scales won't fall out, and picks him up effortlessly, Taehyung's face now suddenly in proximity of his.

"Hi," he whispers, noses barely touching, eyes gleaming.

"Hi," Taehyung whispers back, cheeks bunching up in happiness.

Shaking his head, fondness overloading his system, Jimin walks towards the door, whispering once again, "Let's try to be quiet now. I don't want them to find you until you know how to walk."

"Good idea." And, they're out the door, heading to Jimin's house in the small village, in the middle of the night, hoping there's no one awake.

When they get inside, they both let out a sigh of relief, Jimin going up to all the curtains and closing them. Then, he gets back to Taehyung, who he had set on a couch, and sits next to him, letting out a tired breath.

"So, what do you think?" Jimin asks, suddenly feeling shy, cheeks pink as he looks away.

Taehyung looks around, jaw dropped at the space. It was quite big, twice the size of his old house -- which was big in Atlantis, as his family was a descendent of the royal family when the island was still up.

There was a sofa set, a hallway leading somewhere, and a few closed doors and one without a door, which he presumes is the kitchen. And paintings all over the walls, and matching lights around the house. And, the colors, soft toned colors, with some ornaments around as showcased pieces -- probably gifts from the village for him from what he remembers from their conversations. It's very much Jimin's style.

"It's really... really nice. Very much like you. But, of course, you're better." This makes Jimin laugh.

"Thanks, I designed the interior myself. Anyways, let's go to the bedroom. I have an extra one -- excluding the guest room -- which will now be your room. Let's go," he says, quickly getting up again to carry Taehyung, but Taehyung stops him with his hand held up.

"I want to try... walking," he says, sounding a little hopeful. "Still, let me hold onto you, though."

"Of course," Jimin says, quickly going to Taehyung's aid, bending down so he could put his arm around his shoulder, legs shaky as he tries to stand up. "Oh, Taehyung! You're doing it, you're doing it. Take your time with each step, try the left one first."

Nodding, Taehyung intakes a deep breath before picking his left feet up and moving it forward, doing it like how he remembers Jimin do it. He's seen other merfolk walk too, but he wouldn't want anyone other than Jimin as his reference.

"Yes. You're doing really good," Jimin's voice is soft and encouraging as he supports Taehyung, talking him through each step. And, by the time they're at the hallway, Taehyung is shakily moving on -- still using Jimin's support -- without any vocal help.

"Why do you have an extra room? Isn't this your own house?" Taehyung randomly asks, still breathing deeply, trying to walk. Though, he can't help but converse. He's never liked opening up much, especially to his family. But, with Jimin, it's as easy as breathing, he wants to talk with him as long as he has the breath to say the words.

"Yeah. I requested it for... " Taehyung watches Jimin's lips grow into a soft smile, eyes glancing at him before looking back forward. "... for someone special in my life."

The words pierce an arrow through Taehyung's heart, affecting him more than it should. He shyly looks away, but he's smiling wide, happy to know Jimin thinks of him the same way he thinks of Jimin.

The next morning, Taehyung wakes up to Jimin entering his room, holding clothes on his arms. When he notices that he's awake, his face lights up. "Oh! Good morning. How do you feel?"

Yawning, Taehyung nods, "Good... I think?"

"How are your legs?" Jimin asks as he puts the clothes in the closet before walking over and sitting next to Taehyung on the bed.

There's a hum as Taehyung focuses on his legs, rubbing his eyes softly. "They feel fine. It doesn't feel strange like yesterday."

"That's great! Do you want to try walking?"

"Why not," Taehyung murmurs before giving Jimin a bright smile -- which is returned -- and shifting himself near the edge of the bed, swinging his feet over.

He focuses on it, what it means to walk and how to do it, and before he knows it, he's standing up, legs not wobbly at all. He yells in surprise. "What?!" Jimin jolts in surprise too, and is watching with wide eyes as Taehyung walks around, jumps and twirls his legs so naturally.

"I can use them! It's so surreal. Jimin, look!" Taehyung says, delight twinkling in his eyes.

"Yeah," Jimin says, watching with fond eyes, happy beyond belief that Taehyung wouldn't have to go through a lot to know how to walk. He has to thank Yoongi the next time he sees him.

"Jimin!" Taehyung says, suddenly up close to his face.

Jimin gulps, and answers, seeing the bright blue eyes so close looking into his, "Yeah?"

"Teach me how to dance!"

After a few days -- also after dyeing Taehyung's hair black, since only merman have such blue hair, Taehyung had been introduced to the neighbourhood and also had already gotten his name listed in the village as a resident (the process being quite easy due to Jimin). Everyone still feels kind of new for Taehyung and vice versa, but they've been welcoming towards him, happy to see Jimin's friend.

Taehyung actually wants to check out the chickens and cows in the next neighbourhood, but there were dogs and cats in his own for now! So, he decided to leave it for another time, after he's settled in more.

Today, Jimin has asked him if he wanted to go with him to the cave. So, after Taehyung put on his precautionary tight pants with his boots, they head out, walking down the neighbourhood's block to exit the village.

"Jimin-nim~! You're heading for your duties? Thank you for working hard to protect us, Jimin-nim!" Everyone in the village calls him with respect, despite Jimin saying it's okay to not. It's been tradition for years for the dragon that takes care of the place.

"Oh," the lady next to the man who spoke earlier sounds surprised. "You're taking him with you?"

Before Taehyung can even wonder why that was asked, Jimin grabs a hold of his hand and shows them. "Yeah. He's my... companion." At the last word, Jimin looks at Taehyung, eyes holding so much love.

"Oh! I see! I apologize for the disrespect! What is your name, Jimin-nim's companion?" She instantly bows, sincere with her apology.

Suddenly, Taehyung feels flustered, cheeks flushing. "O-oh... I'm K-... Taehyung."

"Well, then, Taehyung-nim, please take care of Jimin well!" With that, the two bid them before they continue walking, hands still held.

Face still pink, Taehyung shyly asks Jimin, "They... won't ask anything further, will they?"

Jimin smiles to himself, amused. "Not at all. It's between us. So, they just need a label to know the status we have. But, they won't ask more. Perhaps, they would if it was someone else... but, it's you and me." His voice holds so much warmth with those words. "So, they won't pry much."

"That's... not fair," Taehyung says, pouting. "Why is it special treatment for us? They should do that with everyone, keeping their noses out of others' businesses."

"That's right. I said the same thing, but we can't change those who refuse to," Jimin says, the grip on Taehyung's hands tightening. "But, they're slowly improving."

"Yeah, I suppose things like this do take time."

"Indeed."

It doesn't take them longer than five minutes to arrive at the cave, staying away from the ocean for Taehyung's sake.

"Do you want to be bored first, or have fun first?" Jimin asks with a grin.

Taehyung is confused. He thought he was coming along to accompany Jimin with his work, so he wouldn't feel lonely or something. But, since he likes surprises, he answers, "Be bored. Then, having fun will be extra fun."

"I knew you would say that," Jimin says with a chuckle, leading Taehyung into the cave, through the door. "Alright, then. You'll have to stay here while I work. I won't... be able to talk to you, but feel free to do whatever you want -- just, you know, no water. But, I still have books and things to draw on from before."

"Oh~ Okay! I never finished The Ice Witch and The Doctor!" Taehyung is excited to finish it, he's been thinking to ask Jimin to bring it back, but this works too!

There's a soft chuckle from Jimin. "You do that. I'll... be back in an hour." With that, Jimin's eyes suddenly glow bright, reddish brown turning into orangey red, and soon enough, his figure turns into that of a dragon, serpentine and elegant. Taehyung is watching in awe, he's only seen Jimin's dragon form a few times, and never this close; it's really fascinating.

"See you, Taehyungie," Jimin says, his voice a little more gruff in his dragon form, the breath from it warming up the room a little.

"See you," Taehyung says, watching him as he lies down in the specific area he always has, form still elegant and beautiful. Then, his eyes shut, and it looks like he's meditating. Some of his breaths come out as fire, not too big to harm Taehyung, so he just watches for a bit until it gets... boring, just as Jimin had said.

Although watching Jimin is very gratifying, the definition of beauty in both his forms, Taehyung remembers that he has a book to finish, so he sadly tears his gaze away, not really sure what Jimin is doing when he says he's working, but satisfied enough to be in his presence while he reads.

Taehyung finishes the book before Jimin is done. He takes his time to wipe his tears from the ending and think about the emotional rollercoaster of the story.

Eventually, his eyes go over to Jimin, and he just watches, looking at every detail -- all of them so pretty that they had to be personally handcrafted by Goddess herself.

He doesn't realize how much time has passed when Jimin's eyes slowly open, looking at him and eyes shining, pleased. "Hey."

"Hey," Taehyung greets happily. "Now, give me the fun part."

There's a low rumble of laughter from Jimin -- different from usual, but it sounds very much Jimin. "Okay," he says, walking over next to where Taehyung is seated, then he lowers his head and upper back, like he was telling Taehyung to get on.

Taehyung blinks, surprised. "Oh." His face turns into one of excitement soon enough, gently getting on his back and holding on as Jimin orders, lying down on his stomach to reduce air resistance.

"I should get a big scarf for me next time, it'll be easier for you to hold on." Jimin mutters to himself, which Taehyung hears clearly, heart full at the word next time.

"I'll learn how to make one from our neighbour then," he says, holding tighter. "But, yeah, I'm sure it's good now."

"Okay. Don't loosen your grip!" Jimin advises before he raises them off the ground and flies out the cave.

The sudden cold air hits Taehyung's face, but he's smiling wide, so wide that he almost can't see. His heart is racing in exhilaration; the sight from the height, the feeling of wind, the happiness of being with Jimin, it's all so overwhelmingly beautiful, he doesn't know how to react.

Soon, Jimin slowls his speed, drifting in the air, letting out a few giggles of happiness. "Look, that's our home."

Taehyung wants to cry.

Our home.

He unsure of what he did in his past life to receive such love from Jimin, but he's so happy, so so happy.

"Jiminie?" he suddenly says, voice about to crack from wanting to cry, but he tries to change the subject, not really wanting to blur such a pretty sight; the lights from the towns and stars, also reflected on the water.

"Hm?"

"What...do you do? When you do your work?"

"Oh! I forgot to tell you," Jimin says, sounding embarrassed. "I guess it's for all dragons that protect towns and villages. We find the spiritual center of the area, it's different for every dragon too, so we all have to find our own. And in that spot, we can enter the spirit world." There's a sound of amazement from Taehyung, and Jimin continues with a soft laugh. "And, in the spirit world, we fight off and protect our area from bad... spirits." Jimin seems to have never explained this before, thus his hesitancy with words, but Taehyung understands.

"Woah~!" he says, truly amazed at what Jimin does. "So you're really cool. Wowie, you're like a... spirit warrior."

"That's the meaning of dragon in some languages in the spirit world, so yeah, I guess I am."

"Wow, really? I guessed that?!" Taehyung is now amazed at himself, for the random guess.

There's a fond giggle from Jimin. "Yes, Taehyungie. How long do you want to stay up here?"

A few seconds pass without an answer, and then the grip on Jimin gets a little tighter, Taehyung snuggling into his neck.

"A little longer."

Jimin's heart swells in affection for the man.

"As per your wish."

"Taehyung, I'm heading out now~" Jimin says sweetly, as he walks out into the living room, where Taehyung is watching TV,  snuggled in the blanket, blue scales scattered all around him. He muses as he sees Taehyung busy with the movie he's watching, eyes fixated and focused.

Jimin pouts and stands in front of Taehyung, blocking the view as he looks down at him. Of course, this makes Taehyung gently push Jimin out of the way, but when he doesn't budge, Taehyung finally looks up at him.

Before Taehyung can ask what's wrong, Jimin's pout softens into a smile, and his warm hands are cupping Taehyung's cheeks as he bends down a little, softly pressing a kiss to his forehead.

Taehyung freezes, cheeks instantly flushing bright and heart thudding. They've never done that before.

His lips open, then close, then open again. He wants to say something, but all he can think about is... kissing Jimin. The intimacy of the act, how warm he feels in his heart from Jimin's initiative.

Understanding Taehyung's struggle, Jimin lets out a giggle and pokes their noses together, his breath falling on Taehyung's lips just as he looks down. He whispers, "Do you want to?"

Gulping, Taehyung nods, not trusting his words at the moment. And the way Jimin's eyes twinkle makes Taehyung anticipate it.

But, instead, Jimin lets out another breath, eyes looking away, beaming with his face also pink, flustered. "Me too." Just after saying that, Jimin's eyes meet Taehyung's again, then fall to his lips before adding, "But, how about after I come back from duty?" He pauses, fondly looking at Taehyung's doe eyes staring at him with equal affection.

He pulls back slightly, giving Taehyung a cheeky look. "A welcome home greeting?"

Taehyung lets out a snort, but seems to not be against it judging from his wide smile. He finally speaks, "What about a... be safe greeting? You know, before you leave?" he asks in the same tone.

Jimin laughs, eyes disappearing, heart full as he shakes his head, so much love pouring for the man he's holding. "Starting from tomorrow only." Then, he straightens up, groaning at the back-pain as he stretches.

Pouting, Taehyung huffs, "Since when do you make all the rules?"

There's another laugh, "It's not about rules, honeybun," Jimin pulls them into a messy hug, burying Taehyung's face into his stomach. "I'll just be too distracted to go to work today if we start now. I need time to prepare myself.".

"Oh." the voice is muffled on Jimin's tummy. Taehyung pushes himself off to look up at him, eyes full of love. "Then, after you come back...?"

Knowing what he's implying, Jimin just nods, both their hearts pacing at the anticipation of tonight. But, then he quickly pulls away, and steps away in a joking manner. "You're already distracting me! Stay away. I have to go!"

With that, Taehyung quickly steps up and runs after Jimin, who can't help his giggles -- also making Taehyung giggle the same way. Their run is half-hearted, in it just for fun, the moment full of peace and affection; feeling as they finally know what it means to be content when Jimin slows down for Taehyung to catch him in a back-hug, swaying around in happiness after he does.

It's after five minutes of light tickling, their laughter finally dies down, smiles still present and Taehyung's arms still around Jimin.

"I have to go now, though, Tae," Jimin mutters, also not wanting this moment to end. But, he's still comforted. This moment won't end. He will come home to this.

Jimin turns around to press a kiss on Taehyung's cheek, giving him a sly smile. "That's my hope your day goes well greeting."

With a mirroring expression, Taehyung also kisses Jimin on the cheek. "Then, be safe, Jimin-ah."

Taehyung watches as Jimin leaves, knowing he has the same stupid in-love smile that he himself is harboring without even having to see.

He doesn't even realize he stands there for ten minutes, just thinking about Jimin, and how the stars aligned for them to meet this way and live this life, getting to know him and befriend him. To love him. It's a wonder, really.

There's a loud crash sounding from the television that brings him back to the present, reminding him that he had been watching a movie before Jimin just randomly showered him with love (which he couldn't ignore no matter how much he tried).

He snuggles back into the couch, wrapping the warm blanket around him as he rewinds the tape, thinking of what he could do the rest of the day after the movie ends.

"Oh look, it's Taehyungie-hyung!" One of the children playing near the playground took notice, making Taehyung smile fondly as he waves.

"Hello, everyone~ Are you all playing well?" He asks, crouching down to match the level of the kids, also waving at the parents and other townspeople around that greet him.

"Yeah! Wanna join? We're playing statues!" One of the kids say, beaming up at him.

Taehyung visibly saddens, "I'm sorry, I can't today. I have to study the chickens."

Another kid comes to him and gives him the puppy dog eyes, "Pwease, hyung. Just one game?"

There's a sigh of resignation from Taehyung. He couldn't say no to that. "Alright. Just one game then."

"Yay!" All the kids cheer as they go into formation, pulling a smiling Taehyung along.

While they're playing, the grounds are full of cheerful laughter and happiness, which dies down a little at a question from one of the kids when Taehyung tries to leave so he can get to the chickens.

"What's that blue thing on your shoes, Taehyungie-hyung?"

His heart stops, eyes widening. All the children gather to look.

"Woah, it's so shiny!" "And, pretty! I've never seen a blue like this!"

Taehyung's heart starts beating too fast and too loud, he can hear it in his head.

"What's happening?" One of the parents come by, and— fuck, Taehyung is fucked.

"A-ah, I d-don't know how it ended up here!" he tries to say, but it seems his voice doesn't really reach people's ears when the mother takes a glance, and gasps loudly.

"You— this — this is," she looks up at Taehyung with the most horrified look. "You're a fish!"

"I— No— you misunderstand— I'm not—" He tries to explain, but it's of no avail, the children have run away from him and the adults are yelling all around, already mobbing up on him. They even snatch away his hat, revealing his bright blue roots.

It's suffocating— dizzying. They push him around and circle him. It's too many people, too many voices. He doesn't like this, but he's lost control over his body. Hands, hands, hands. His pants rip, displaying his remaining scales, and he can feel himself grow weaker — he'd feared this.

"Why did you come to our village?! Leave!"

"Fuck you! Fuck you and your fish race!"

"Go back, go back—"

He's getting pushed and pulled, his knees bare from the ripping.

"What about Jimin-nim? Aren't they companions?"

"I bet that fish-ass scum also deceived our Jimin-nim."

There's a roar of agreement as they drag Taehyung towards the , who doesn't even know how to resist, just trying to get out his words, "No! I'm not m-mer anymore—! Please... listen to me—! I'm h—... human."

All in vain, all his efforts to tell them were in vain. He can smell the sea when they got closer, and he thinks he's about to pass out, everything happening too quick for him to fully process. He feels a tug and then sudden lightness.

Ah, he thought in relief for a split second, before he realized what's really happening.

Jimin is humming when he turns back into human form, eyes crinkling in thought of going back home to Taehyung, remembering that morning. But, his thoughts are interrupted by an uproar outside.

The villagers? He wonders, quickly leaving the cave through the door, wondering what happened while he was away.

Just as he walks out, he sees a sight that leaves him frozen. A scene followed by a loud splash.

His heart dropped, processing whose face he just got a glimpse of. The way the water reached out around his neck right after part of his body submerged, pulling him down all the way even quicker than the speed he was falling, sucking him in, the bubbles-- there is no doubt.

"What the fuck?" he whispers, still frozen in shock. The body comes right up, the sea letting him go, not wanting to let him back in again.

"Taehyung-! Fuck, Taehyung--!" he cries as he rushes to the coast, jumping right to where his body stayed afloat..

Holding onto the lifeless body, he glances at his calm face, the face of the love of his life and beyond, his universe, his companion.

He wants to cry, he can feel his tears about to well, his chest hurts so bad. But above all, he's fucking livid.

He gently lets go of Taehyung, wanting to take care of something as he slowly steps onto the coast. They're cheering, not even noticing the body had come back up, just proud to have thrown him to the sea, not noticing that he's afloat and lifeless.

The mayor comes up front as the village silences. "We got rid of the vile merfolk, Jimin-nim!"

Jimin's eyes flash red. "Don't fucking call me that."

"H-huh, what--? But, he's the evil creature of the sea!"

Jimin's breaths get hotter as his red eyes turn narrower and more menacing, "Shut the fuck up."

"What? But, he's been deceiving us all along--!"

"I said," Jimin starts, recoiling, "Shut your fucking mouth," his voice booms over all the people, fire lighting up as his serpentine figure replaces his human one, igniting fire all around him.

But, the fire didn't touch the humans, not even a single one. A shame, he thinks, even if he missed on purpose. He's in the air, his firey form glistening with the twilight as he says with the most anger anyone's ever heard from him, the fire blazing all around.

"And, stay there. I'm not done with you."

His anger has calmed a little, but he won't be letting this village go that easily.

He morphs back down to his human form, giving them his red glare, shutting them up with a glance as he turns around to run into the water, the shore quickly rising up to his waist as he swims further to grab the lifeless body. He pulls him up, not wanting to look at him, but carries him back to the shore, holding him against his shoulders, Taehyung's very much human legs on display -- they decided to be scale-free so late, Jimin thinks sadly.

Everyone looks with wide eyes, murmurs going around, but Jimin isn't having it. He gnarls his orders, "Silence." And, it turns silent, all staring at him in fear.

He doesn't even want to be here, in front of these people who killed his companion, his most beloved. So, he speaks his wishes.

"I will not be protecting this village anymore," he sternly says, his glare still up. "And, I curse your village to never have a protector ever again," he spits, feeling the curse from his words settle into the village.

And, with that, he gently turns into his dragon form, so Taehyung's body doesn't get jostled around, and without a look back, he flies off, somewhere far away where he won't have to see these faces again.

There's a long silence between the three after Jimin finishes explaining what really happened, curled in between Yoongi and Jungkook, eyes dulled out.

"It's my fault," Yoongi mumbles, frowning at himself. "I should've... never suggested him to--"

"No, it isn't-- hyung, don't say that," Jungkook tries, but he doesn't know if he has a place to say anything. Everything's too much of a shock.

"He's right. It's not your fault, hyung. I'm grateful -- you have no idea how happy he was after that. It's just... unfortunate."

Ah, Taehyung. Jimin still vividly remembers, it's not an old memory -- his beautiful smile, beautiful sparkling eyes; his voice, his love.

Looking at his face even right now, it feels like he could just sit right up and give him his usual gleaming smile and talk to him about what he's learned that day. But, there's nothing, no part of his face moves, his chest is still.

Then, Jimin actually processes it. When he goes back to his house, Taehyung won't be there to greet him. He won't see his smile again, he won't hear his voice again, he can't keep the promise he left with. He's never coming back. He's dizzy; eyes sting, chest tightening and throat closing up -- his lips tremble as they spill our the most miserable wail.

"Taehyung," he rasps out hopelessly, face wet with warm tears. He is in so much pain, his head, his body, his heart -- his soul.

Why? Why did it have to be this way? Why was Taehyung taken away from him?

He didn't know, but he knew that his universe was gone.

And all the stars have dimmed.

In a few years, a cloaked wanderer stumbles by a familiar road. He peeks out from under the hood, eyes widening at the new sight.

"Kim's Market," he reads, mumbling the words. Kim? The only Kim he knew was the descendents of Kim Royal Family from Atlantis.

He hesitantly walks in, his boots soon splashing through -- the old terrain now replaced with unnatural land and water up to his knees, which soon subside to just a thin layer of water on the ground.

The first sight of creature were two gilled girls hand in hand, happily chatting and walking back to the sea-- a market area with bustling merfolks. The first to take note of him was the guard, who looked at him sternly.

"Expose your identity. No humans allowed," he said.

"I am Park Jimin, a dragon," Jimin says, letting his hood down to flash his eyes at the guard who nods and lets him in.

When Jimin enters the area, he's fascinated. All the houses from before, everything -- nothing looks the same. Some houses seems to be reused for brand stores and some had been demolished, replaced by new structures. It looks strange, but filled with life -- in a different way from before. He wonders what happened to the previous residents after he cursed their town. Probably evacuated, he thought with a bitter snort. Humans can't live without protection from dragons unlike merfolks.

At that thought, he decided to walk to the end of the main road -- curious to see how it's become ever since.

Once he's there, he looks at it with sad eyes. It seems to be one thing the merfolk hadn't touched. Perhaps they knew it was his?

With that, he approached the entrance of the house, setting his hand on the doorknob. Memories flashed of the last time he did this; coming back to him -- he left with a happy face, looking forward to coming back. And, he's finally back -- after years.

He slowly turns the knob and pushes the door open, stepping in. And, as expected, there was no one there to greet him with love and happiness like he had anticipated when he last left. Nothing.

Though the smell of home still softly lingered, there also was the smell of time aging the lifeless house. His eyes soften at the sight of paintings all around, paintings of different animals -- studies on their anatomy and morphology.

He walks around, it seems as though nothing has been taken -- perks of being a dragon: everyone respects you and your household. But, the thought is bittersweet. They could've taken everything, anything from his house -- just not what made his house his home. Yet, that's the only thing they took from him.

The scales scattered around on the floor are as they were -- nothing out of place other than the lock at the front door. Nothing out of place.

No. That's not right.

Everything is out of place. Everything is here, but him.

There's an attachment to this place, that his heart can't let go of, but it pains him to stay inside, still inhaling the very faint remains of his presence -- the fragrance of memory and nostalgia.

Soon enough, he cannot see. Everything is blurry, and that is when he knows to leave, quickly shutting the door on his way out.

His back hits the wall as he lets out a sigh of melancholy, eyes cast down in memory of his companion.

"Excuse me, this is the dragon's house, entering is not permitted. Did you not read the signs, mister? It is illegal to steal from it, you know?" A random passerby says, and it makes Jimin smile a little as he looks at the girl.

Before he can respond reassuringly, he freezes at the sight. Her face holds an uncanny resemblance.

"A-are you related to... Kim Taehyung?" It feels strange uttering his name after years of refusing to. Almost foreign on his lips, but at the same time, the name holds the warmth of home.

The girl's eyes widen before she frowns. "I... am his sister, yes. Are you... looking for him?" she sounds sad as she says it, and Jimin's heart aches.

His voice is gentle as he speaks. "I know he is in a place where I cannot find even if I look for eternity."

"Oh, so you know..." she sounds regretful, and Jimin knows why. He remembers, he remembers everything Taehyung has told him about his family. "May I ask who you are?" she asks.

There's a sigh as his eyes glance at the house behind him. "I am the owner of this house."

She seems to have realized the true meaning behind those words, her eyes glisten. "Oh. So, it's you," she mumbles.

"And, which one of his sisters are you?" he asks politely, not really wanting to talk about it, but he knows by now, Taehyung is addictive -- thinking of him, talking about him. He would want to do it more, but the pain that follows soon gets unbearable.

"I am Kim Miyeon." Ah, Jimin thinks. The sister that had similar interests but felt bad about Taehyung not being able to change so they never really bonded much.

There's a pause before Jiyeong speaks, voice low and sad, "Did he... speak of us?"

Jimin sees no reason to lie. "Yes. Quite a lot," he says, chest aching at the memory of their conversations. "He loved all of you a lot." He isn't sure if he should've said that, Jiyeong starts to cry.

"Ah, I see," she says, quickly wiping her tears. "I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry for," he says truthfully. There is nothing to be sorry for. It wasn't any of their fault, it was no one's fault -- but a petty part of him makes him blame humans and their hatred for merfolks.

"Ah, excuse me. It was nice meeting you. Hope you live a long life," she says, still wiping her tears as she bows and runs off to a group of people -- who also seemed to have similar features to Taehyung. They all probably came together.

He gets an urge, to walk up to them -- to hold onto all there is of him. He watches as the rest also glance over to look at him with sad eyes and the urge grows.

But, he can't. He doesn't want to attach himself to the people Taehyung himself left.

So, without a second glance, he leaves, bowing the guard on his way out, taking one last look at the sign board -- Kim Market. He lets out a snort, now realizing why it's named that. Even so, he doesn't want to stay any longer, so he tears his eyes away.

He feels the tug in his soul as he walks away, now only carrying the memories he has of the place and of him. He doesn't think he can handle anything else.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.5K 3.4K 44
Jimin was surprised to find Taehyung,his ex-bestfriend back in his life after 5 full years. Jimin was always angry that Taehyung left without no expl...
113K 5.2K 59
COMPLETE: Growing up everyone knew about soulmates. A mark would appear on your body on your 16th birthday and the person who shared your mark was y...
780 54 13
V, or Taehyung, gets a chance to relive his life in order to fix his relationship with his fellow members of BTS. But there's a twist. He can only li...
42.2K 3.3K 51
A world where everyone gets a chance to know who their soulmate is. Even the leaders of the Kim mafia. What will Taehyung do when he finds out Jimin...