A Warrior's Spirit

By AroaraOnFire

Their story starts with an fated encounter to which two individuals that would never cross paths before and y... More

Aurora's Note
Welcome To The Chaos... -2
Silence Before The Storm - 3
Danger Settles In - 4
Hidden Secrets in A Wolf Village - 5
What The Actual Hell? - 6
Returning Home? - 7

Awakening & Worlds Collide -1

60 0 0
By AroaraOnFire

I am kinda excited to revisit the past and make my original story with a stronger start. Maybe that's just me though.╮(─▽─)╭

This beginning part so that it doesn't confuse you starts with Awakening and some time passes before Worlds Collide.

Love all my readers though this will always be a safe place for you.

~ Aurora <3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awakening

     This world lies still like a story of an unopened book, waiting to be opened. The people of the land, lived the same moment in their lives unknowingly as if they were chess pieces upon a game board. A long silence within time as a sense of change begins to move the pieces. Who could have guessed such an event would take place in a small town?

--

     It felt warm, when I managed to open my eyes to feel myself lying on the grass. The sun shining directly on my skin was nice if not blinding. The forest was quiet like it had just awakened too. I was alone. That was an understatement but there was not a single memory, I looked down at my hands. Gloves with holes that wrapped around my fingers. Luckily without even touching I could tell I was dressed, that being good enough for me. Using my newfound strength to push off the ground, my surroundings became clearer.

    I was in the middle of a forest.

     That I could tell just by looking at the array of trees. My mind was fuzzy and proved to be no help whatsoever to which direction I should go. There had to be somewhere I could find answers to the holes in my memory. Stretching out, I could feel a slight breeze passing through.

That's where I'll go...

     Crawling to my feet I said goodbye to the uncomfortable place I had been laying. For who knows how long. Going against the current winds, I took my journey one step at a time. Quickly distracted by the sights stopping at a little creak where the water housed a family. Of croaking frogs. They shared a glittery skin like they laid in some kind of dust since they were born. Crouching down I found a certain joy in watching them sing a melody I've never heard before.

    The croaking stops when a whistle-like sound shoots through the air. Taking a step back as a strange object hit the water. Curiosity compels me to see what it was on, but rationale tells me to move on. Which one I followed would lead me on two very different paths.

     Turning away from the object wasn't any of my business, I continued on the unseen path of my journey. As I turned a green blur rushed beside me. I couldn't tell what it was but it definitely wasn't the wind. Walking on the path that existed in my mind, I left the creak behind. My wellbeing was my priority, I couldn't help but begin to worry as the sky had changed from it light blue to a mix of orange and pink. The sun was also falling out of the sky which was strange.

        Maybe it was just my imagination? Something felt off. As if I had stepped into the predator's home, and the sound of a whistle was behind me. I turned to it hoping to see a person, but the person behind me.

Wasn't a person at all.

      It wasn't hard to tell by its lack of breathing, or the eerie clicking sound it made when its bones scraped against each other to move around. It's body convulsions like an erratic dance from the afterlife, to attempted steps toward it. Creating a limp that made it's body sway side to side...a monster. That was the best description though I don't even know what that word means.

      I couldn't bring myself to feel bad for it when it collapsed, the bones that were held together fell apart. A green blur passed over my vision yet again. Was it the cause of the creature's end? I turned around only to find no sign of my savior only grass and trees...and a trail of rocks.

      Had they moved on already?

World's Collide...

    Another sigh leaves her lips and out into the darkness of the night. Her role was to look out for any threats that approached the village. It was a simple one and to...her was the most boring of all of them.

     This nameless village was a place where many people settled and dreams had gone to die. Somehow she and her sister found this place the most suitable to call home. It's mostly quiet throughout the day, except for a few occurrences between people and the land. Having most guards that decided to settle here spent their days at The Well. An old tavern that was placed right where supposedly a well used to be. There was nothing not worthy in the village so most guards stayed there till daybreak. When their shifts would eventually call for them to patrol and protect the remaining villagers here.

    Whoever actually ran the place and kept the beer supply...she didn't know. All she knew was that it never seemed to run out, even with the guards drinking their lives away. She didn't care to find out either if she would have to go in there. The very atmosphere of the tavern made her sick to her stomach.

   The honey blonde leans on her sword, that object standing tall due to indent it was carved into ill the gravel below her feet. Although she adored the people and the ease that the environment gave her. Estelle was presently only skilled in terms of physical means which is why she enlisted into guard work in he'd early years. However here her options were limited after the Head Guard assigned her to stand and wait for the squire. Supposedly she was stationed here to look out and wait for any sign of his return and report if he had been injured after he recklessly went out on his own. Except that had been hours ago the setting sun being her witness to the time passing.

     That idiot better have not got himself killed. Pulling her sword out of the ground she put at its usual place at her waistband. Down the gravel path she journeyed consciously looked around for the golden lining of a helm that the squire seemed to wear often. He had received the thing from Lord Mikhael himself, which she understood at a degree to why he kept it. That is until she remembered that those very colors were designed to fit the lord and their personal knight. Who would be Garroth instead of Zenix but who was she to complain. The darker haired male always seemed strange in her eyes, others saw her as being skeptical or callous to her younger peer. None of that mattered to her once she actually gained a glimpse of his true self, then she could no longer understand his choices nor could she bring her self to think lightly of him.

"Zenix..."

The blood painted the golden trims of his armor a deep red. His eyes mirrored that hue of a bloodstone, dark and muddy like he had not seen the light of day in years. He was on his knees surrounded by lifeless bodies he had just previously slain. Slaughtered. Was more like it. His original assignment was to detain these bandits, since they were just petty thieves.  People with lives outside of their cowardice acts to steal from others, as that was the way they survived. They didn't stand a chance against him, who was trained personally by a knight who personally reached the top of his peers. He tore them apart like the typical monster in fairy tales. The only difference is he did not feast on them, his eyes showed zero interest now that he sensed there was no life left in them.

"Are you going to tell him..?"His voice was quiet, raspy, as he tried to hide the anxiety within himself.

Estelle pulled her sword out the object glows lightly as it was removed from her side. She could tell if that his eyes were following her every movement. Watching, wary as if she'd put an end to his life right then and there. Her hand released the grip of her sword letting it fall on the ground and lay on top of the green grass at her feet. He flinched but did not make any moves to distance himself from her, clearly he was exhausted, anyone would be. She did not blame him. He made eye contact with her and she could feel the storm of emotions her held within them. Anxiety, hatred, regret? Taking the initiative she took a few steps toward him stopping once his eyes narrowed in suspicion. She could not lose him she waited till he was comfortable to push just a little further. Estelle had to be patient if she wanted to gain anything from this encounter, she had to be focused losing it would endanger everyone she hoped to protect. Zenix had to be stable, just enough to not lose himself to this animalistic rage.

Not even for a second..

"Zenix. You must remember who you are...right now you are a guard. Not a slave built to do an overlords bidding...don't forget that."Her hand reached out to him and he even leaned closer, he was hesitant but it was much to late.

   Like a puppet tied to stings he followed her movements scooting closer to her, his eyes cleared up but still remained their blood red. Now it was his turn to close the gap between them in only a few moments he was finally within arms reach. Stretching out ber arm, Zenix was quick to understand learning his head forward until her palm rested smoothly against the skin of his forehead. She could feel the energy within him now. It was dark and murky much like his eyes however she could sense something else within him. Almost as if it were nesting inside of him coaxing all of his decisions. Estelle didn't even need to search further to understand what Zenix had become. Pressing her index finger down with her thumb she waited for a moment before releasing and with it a bit of her energy was pushed into him. His head flew back from the impact and his eyes returned with what she hoped was his remaining vitality. He recoiled from the pain, scooting back to create some distance between them.

"...the fuck!"He gritted his teeth and his eyes harshly glaring at her as quickly latching onto the area that no doubt had slowly reddened. "What did you do that for?!?"

His eyes were of that same onyx color she had remembered detesting from the day they met on a clear autumn day. It was spite at first sight then and even now they held suspicion and irritation. Seeing him back to his usual rambunctious self and not a child assassin brought a smile to her face. Strange how only teasing him these days could ever do that for her.

At least he could still pretend he was human...

"Clean yourself up, you smell like a rotting corpse." She turns her back to him happily knowing he knew better than to do more than complain at her."...just leave the report of these idiots to me. Trust me, I won't say a word about what happened today."

Picking up her sword off the ground she returned it to her side, receiving a hum from it as it was placed at her waist. She ignored the flashes of light despite her better judgement this outcome was the best one she could think of. At least temporarily. Leaving the now irritated and drenched squire in the substances of his own creation.

     That she didn't. Even after weeks of his insistent bugging she didn't see the need in reporting him. Sure he presented an odd consequence but as he was, Estelle could see nothing but a rebellious child when she looked at him. Figures since she was much older than him who was practically in his teens from the way he ran his mouth. She could tell he couldn't keep himself stable, at least on his own, but she didn't mind helping out the kid of Garroth's behalf. It wasn't pretty outcome but she couldn't think of a better one for the time being. His mind was shattered creating multiple personas that did not coincide with the others. He was docile at one moment, aggressive the next, and even spiteful soon after. Sometimes she saw him rocking back and forth muttering curses between his sobs of pain. It had a hold on him even Zenix, himself began to fear losing it.

      Or did he fear what would happen if he disobeyed that energy that rested inside him? The vulnerable and attachment to whatever was hurting him made him pitiful in her eyes. Zenix was akin to a child craving for affection. He relied on it like a drug craving more of it until inevitably the very thing he clinged onto consumes him. She had met very few alike him in the mortal realm. The ones that have lost themselves to the voice from the shadows. She wondered if Garroth would at least recognize the issue before it was too late leaving her to intervene.

                                Estelle hoped it would never come to that.

      It was night by the time she found him. Crouched down by a large tree was the idiot himself, strangely missing pieces of his armor. Leaving his dark brown hair out it was getting quite long since he didn't care to take care of it. A blood stained his armor plating and gloves, from the look of him she could tell it was not his own. He did have a dew scars but they seemed to be from some outside intervention. Quietly she approached him making her footsteps heard so that she would not spook him in his frantic nature state.

      "What are y-"

     Before she could get a full sentence out he caught her off guard by grabbing her arm, pulling her down to his level. This was new...Zenix was not fond of physical touch of any kind, he could didn't mind it around Garroth. Anyone else would get his usual tone and his attitude that resembled a hissing cat. She watched him more carefully to get the answers her curiosity desired.

        "Shhh...."

  He hushed her sensing that she was going to speak again, she closed her mouth with a sigh waiting for him to explain himself before she lost her patience. He kept peering over at whatever was behind the tree...was he looking for something? Despite his hold on her arm he could not hide everything, once she was closer she could smell the blood on him. It was definitely not his. The scent was alluring, sweet even. She could feel the ground shaking beneath her; following it a low rumble. It was a gargling sound that made the air grow tense and heavy. A chill ran down her spine as she saw a familiar murky orange glow border the tree they were crouched behind.

     Her eyes narrowed and she shook off his hand crawling over him to get a better look at what they were dealing with. Ignoring his constant nagging telling her to stop and pulling at her tailcoat in attempts to halt her movements. She had to assess the danger before it became too much to deal with, she could tell that it was no mere monster. Her eyes dilate as the strong smell hit her nose overwhelming her senses. Her eyes watered for a second as she was exposed it without any warning, the smell was close. Even in her haze and her momentary blurry vision she managed to figure out the general outline of the creature.

    It was an abnormally large mutation, which usually ranged around the size of an average human to a carriage. The large beast had eight legs and even with its size could be classified as spider variant. This one was practically the size of an average house in the village, which was not huge in comparison. Proving that this thing A glare of the moonlight on something metallic reflects in her direction and she narrows her eyes to see that it was Zenix's helm not too far away. It was bent inward by something blunt and heavy and by her guess and Zenix's lack of head injury. The hit must have occurred kong after he had abandoned it from protecting his skull, so much for his gift from his previous lord.

    Unlucky for the two of them, both of them were of the melee type putting them at a big disadvantage against this opponent. Close confrontation with a mutated spider was highly regarded to be an fools mission, having range could overpower the creature to a certain degree. Or any kind of elemental attacks would be a good substitute. Though people with magicks and even witches have become scarce, she could hardly catch a glimpse of them as of late.

     "Wait a minute....is that a girl?"

     Estelle pushed him further behind her so that she could get a better view much to his dismay. It was a woman, unconscious and lying a little too far to reach.From the dark red color seeping into her clothes Estelle could guess the overpowering smell that spread throughout the area  must originate from her. She put her hand over her nose before the smell drew her in, she has to check on his condition. Since he had been here dealing with it for a while.

      "Yeah."

Was that all he had to say...?

     She could not with this kid. The tempting thought to just deal with him before anything else began to rise but she pushed it down. No time for theatrics, spiders variants differ from other monster variants. They weren't very patient. Even to the undead monsters not having any brains spiders mutants especially lacked in intellect. Seeing as it could not find the unconscious woman in on the floor even with a spotlight for eyes. It didn't take a genius or researcher to see that it was not work This woman's life, regardless of what her body's consists of, in their hands as protectors as this was their job. Zenix was in no shape for any kind of combat other than being a meat shield. She was gonna have to do all the heavy lifting for this mission yet again. This is why she rather be sent to deliver messages than work with him but Garroth saw it fit to keep pairing them together.

       Living beings did not take well to the venom the creature carried and from it's size it had a lot in store for her. Not many people lived to tell the tale after being affected by it so time was not on their side. It didn't help if they couldn't tell if the girl had been poisoned or was just unconscious due to blood loss.

     "You can't fight that thing, it's suicide!"He yelled—well as loud as he could do without alerting the sound sensitive monster.

     "I'm not gonna fight it, you dunce. Take the girl and get to safety, I'll distract it."She shook her head at his assumption, she knew better than to overestimate her abilities.

     He stood there for a moment his face expressed his wholeheartedly disagreeing with her, even if he didn't want to owe her for anything more. This was her decision. He just kept watch for an opening. Racing out from behind the tree, her heavy footsteps were easily heard by the monster. Her sword let out a low hum as soon as it was free from the scabbard that contained it, the sound of wind was all she could hear. The immediate low thumping sounds her resounding success for her short plan. The wind carried her forward allowing her to move swiftly throughout the dense forest.

         How to deal with such a beast though? She did tell Zenix that she wouldn't fight it but she couldn't let it wander anywhere near the village. She definitely couldn't outrun a mutated spider it had 8 legs, was bigger than her thanks to it's mutation. She didn't blame Zenix for not trusting her before, she was known for her more reckless nature than her ideas. Although usually successful they were still not "ethical" by knight terms. While Estelle's physical ability is what she was most sought after for by lords and mages since her graduation. They were quickly off put by her nature either by prejudice or moral code. It was only Garroth that seemed to stick a hand out for her, she couldn't let him down after all he'd worked for. Her hands clenched around the sword's grip trying to shake of any thoughts that would distract her from.

      "Hope that dunce actually took a hint."Her heels dug into the ground slowing her down her sprint, sliding a bit putting a hand onto the tree.

       It had been too quiet, for a while now she began to notice the lack of pursuit of the monster that had been following her. Bloodthirsty and enjoying the hunt of its prey that she volunteered to be. Strange. She turned around quickly averting to the side to avoid a hot substance, that burned the tree she had leaned on. The shape of it similar to webbing attaching around the bark before burning and revealing slowly the inner layers of the wood. The webbing seemed to come from the deep thicket of the trees, her eyes followed the light of the moonlight as it had created a web. Using the trees as a base it created a strong enough webbing that the trees did not immediately collapse. Eight glowing eyes emerging from the web slowly descending it's newly created home, itching for the prey that had entered it's trap.

     "How long have you been here...?"

— — — —

       Kneeling down he pressed two fingers against her neck to check the woman's pulse, faint, but at least she was still alive. How unfortunate for him. The sweeter smell that emits from her grew was stronger up the closer he was to her injury. Locating it he found the injury originated from her stomach, taking the ripped cloak she had he tore it just enough to wrap it tightly around her mid section. Using the parts that had not touch her body to cover his nose and mouth to filter the smell he tied the ends behind his head. He'd honestly rather be anywhere else than here with her. All of this could have been avoided if Gene had not been practicing his forbidden arts so close to the village. Not that he cared about the place it was the last thing on his list, however these events now left him in the realm of suspicion. Taking any patrol schedules that neared around Gene's research area to prevent anyone from discovering it.

If it was like that....

      He wondered if it were easier to just get rid of them.

      It was merciful to end their age of suffering. The decline of this now nameless village was imminent, as Sasha began to poison the land to prevent the land from recovering. Even after the death of their lord they persistent like pests, those descendants of that vile usurper still remains even in remnants. If it wasn't for his lord to suggest that he of all of the Shadowknights to infiltrate this place. His lingering memories of his past here were nothing short of unforgiving, his turning being the only upside of existing there. Zenix could not wait until his lord gave the command to crush the last remaining weeds. He personally was looking forward to being the reason That and whatever being Estelle claimed to be. He had to  would not let him go after this, she clearly knew what she was doing. This was a test. To see how far he would go with his arrogance. It sucked that she

I swear it, Estelle.

       Zenix lessened his grip upon hearing the woman's quiet mumbles in response to her pain even in her sleep. How lucky she was. Only fate would be on her side for even wearing the skin of that being, and that is why she survived to this day. Despite Gene's many schemes to destroy her from the inside out it appears that arrogantk jerks work was taking it's time. Cause if it were ever up to him, this healing ability he knew she possessed could not protect her from the many times her would rip her to shreds. Again and again until even her voice would collapse from the screams, not even the underworld would accept her.

        "How lucky you are to be alive Miss. Why the seven must be protecting you?"He spoke knowing she could barely him, he could almost laugh at the irony in this situation.

        The residential heroine, the savior of the people now at the mercy of a mere beast. Gene's plan was smart, he had to admit, the aim was not to kill her as that would allow her freedom to reincarnate. Aiming to put her in a situation where she would doubt her decision to save this world and its people. Which would have gone off without a hitch if a certain blonde haired maniac didn't believe in keeping Zenix in her sights for as long as she could stand him.

— — — —

       Putting down his pen, he used the same hand to hold his head before it falls and ultimately met the very desk he was working on. A heavy static invading his head had him caressing his temple. There were too many things on his mind. Swarming with a sea of words all swarming in, fabricating thoughts that did not feel like his own. Slowly but surely the work left behind by those tragic events left him to pick up the pieces and protect the villagers until they no longer needed him. Who on this earth could withstand such conditions if not him?

        After all the land was in a ever approaching decline, mutations are propagating at a mass rate creating a epidemic in it's wake. With no real answers to why or where these creatures have originated from or no real solution. Purification could only do an area of land and neither he or the village could put up with the fees that would allow a priest to even visit this place. Let alone cleanse and area of land to even begin with, a fool he was for not realizing the state of things much sooner. He could have slowed its downfall if not for himself but for the people who truly called this home that we're forced to find evacuate.

Time for a break.

       Standing up the chair slides across the wooden floor boards, aiming to distance himself from the pile of papers. Or impending responsibility. He could not complete anything in this state while his mind was in disarray, forgetting the mess of his own creation in the lounge converted office. It had been a while since he organized anything. He couldn't do much nor did he ever have the opportunity to seeing as their was no longer an archive nor a place to gather such important papers. Not that he would get much help all of his subordinates were more muscle than brains and most people that were well informed left the village ages ago. In pursuit of better things and a possible protection in the arms of villages elsewhere, and no time soon would anyone journey here.

Then there was her...

       He felt a headache emerging, if he was ever to ask Estelle for help of any kind. By the seven he'd rather devour all of this work by mouth. She would obviously help him at the cost of his sanity she'd nag him about his health, telling him he would grow fragile if he stayed at his desk for too long. That woman was his hope and despair all within one being and not to mention that her other half had been off with her apprenticeship. Garroth could not be more worried for her since she could only send letters once after every end of the month. He peeked a glimpse through the curtains he had her stationed where he could see her so at least he wouldn't stress himself further.

       "Hah..."He couldn't even be surprised to see she was not at her post, knowing she was the least patient between the two sisters.

CRACKLE!

       A cold shiver ran down his spine, dread settling in his stomach as the loud noise rang through his ears. No good. In a small rural village such as theirs sounds alike this one was rare, albeit unwelcome, possible dangers from a force they could not handle was not on his list of things to do this evening. Fixing his head back on he opened curtains signaling for the nearest guard to come over. After a while a hesitant guard makes their way over, not looking him in the eyes which was suspicious if he didn't know that they had been slacking off. Still he opened the window looking out for the newer guards was one of his responsibilities after all.

      "It was lightning sir."One of the newer guards, fresh graduate from the academy and it was almost a shame he was assigned here of all places.

      "With clear skies like this not a natural occurrence"He paused for a second his mind clearing up any questions that he had for the young guard."...where is she?"

       "You mean Estelle? I saw her walk into the forest and haven't seen her, sir."The helm of theirs echoed the news that his subordinate relayed to him."Maybe she would be better assigned-"

      "She's not a child, nor does she cause such a ruckus without a reason...an explainable one atleast."It was just as hard to convince his junior as was to convince himself that Estelle was not up to no good.

        He knew her the best having spent years with her even long before their days at the academy, it's just recently she seemed to stare off into the abyss. Her unfocused worried him so he lessened her work just to stop her from incidentally hurting herself or anyone else during practice. Garroth just hoped whatever she was feeling at the moment would pass without her doing something she would regret the moment she was lucid.

      "Those words aren't very convincing, sir."The newbie held onto his helm with both hands, making sure it was on correctly in front of his superior.

      "Have faith."

\ \ ~ ~ + ~ ~ / /

     "I cannot stand....sticky and weighty substances....."

        Currently leaning against the tree, Estelle leaned on her left trying not to agitate her injury located on her right leg. Her pan leg burned revealing skin and her protective gear beneath it that been reduced to tatters. Thanks to her oppressive opponent, thankfully the creature in question was rooted by the edge of a cliff. It growls and struggles in protest had whilst she tried her best to hold off her eyes from shutting. That fight surely exhausted what energy she could put out without damaging the environment more than the mutation had. However the acid webbing the creature had was intense and the injuries she sustained burned with each time she touched it.  She was not healing as fast as she had hoped, the blood within her practically in stasis from its lack of action. The faint white glow hid deep within the abdomen of the mutation belonged to her sword. Venom from its inside is pooled under it like a puddle of trauma, spilling out onto the grass under it wilting as it burned at the ground. Estelle would rather not receive a graphic picture of its insides spilling out however what could she do. It was self defense after all. Her leg was the worst out of it, if no one came she would have to limp while using her sword as a cane.

       Sadly all that she could do was play the waiting game too exhausted to moved any where hoping this mutation was the only one of it's kind. Estelle would barely keep up with its intelligence or its ability to learn and dodge her attacks, slipping in and out of consciousness now. Anymore of them would cause to trouble. As if answering to her inner thoughts her legs felt warm coming from her side, she slowly opened her eyes to see the sun's rays shining on her legs. A screech sound from the spider mutation as it itched towards the darkness, seemingly aware of what would happen should it meet the sun's grace, she guessed. Watching as it writhe due to the pain of her blade lodged into it. Unfortunate for this lifeform, if you could call it that, to perish so that the people in her village could survive longer. Estelle was sure if the monster escaped now it was certain to seek revenge against her. She couldn't risk it—she would not even humor the idea even for a moment. The sun now higher in the sky the limbs of the creature slowly dissipate under the heat of the sun, the burning creature lets out a final cry. Loud and shriek but brief as it too did not last vary long. It's burning smell was not at all pleasant up close but watching it dissipate into dust, was somehow therapy in motion as she was now free to rest even id only for a second.

       The dust particles flying away with the gift of the wind, thankfully missing her face as it continued past her. Estelle was glad she listened to her sister's rambling about the appearances of these monsters at least enough to catch that the creatures of the dark all submitted to the rising sun. She allowed her head to fall back against the tree base that has been long reduced to a stump thanks to her battle with the creature. When she moved her hips to sit more comfortably on the grass she felt the guard of her sword, meaning it was now laying at her side. The sun never felt so nice she nearly had a second thought to take back all the times she cursed at it. Almost.

     "I guess I won't be needing that backup."She was proud to be the last of two alive, she smiles away the aching pain of her injuries at her newfound victory under her belt.

     This mutation did pose a lot of curiosity as she fought it, it seemed intelligent unlike the many mutation spiders she encountered before. The way it moved through the dense forest struck her as odd which meant it had been living here for quite a while. Whether it was days or weeks she did not know but she would have to tell Garroth the moment she could get the opportunity. It was competent enough to injure her leg in the process of pinning her down even going far as to set a trap for her.

They would have to prepare for next time...

        "...if you can hear me say something?!"

     That voice. It was quick to stop her train of thought, just hearing it gave her half a mind to run off that cliff but she doubted even that could save her. The metallic headgear shone when the sunlight reached it reflecting....directly into her eyes. She winced in pain, narrowing her eyes at him so that he could catch the hint, her eyes paid the price for her hesitance to leave when her mind warned her to. His silhouette was blurry and she could only make out the colors of his armor. Blurs of grays and white along with the blackened cross over his chest. He seemed to assess the situation picking up her sword even going as far as to wipe the dust off with his cape. Adding it to his belt next to his own before he even spoke a word.

Great she was being robbed...

      "Well if it isn't my knight in shining armor, I never thought you'd take grave robbing as a profession. Not a wise move I'd say..."Her first thought was to lighten the mood before he could think to scold her for her behavior.

     Crouching down, his armored hands pushed aside her maroon jacket draped over her shoulders, his eyes inspecting the burns caused my the mutation. A click of her tongue as he discovered her injuries so quickly, he clearly knew her too well to be distracted. She flinched away from him hands as the cold metal met her skin. A sigh sounds beneath his helm, even without seeing his face she guessed his expression. Discontent. The silence was deafening, she would feel more uncomfortable if he decided to chew her up and spit her out. Those words would fall one deaf ears at this point they both were sure if it. Seeing luck was on her side receiving only injuries abrasions and not deep cuts. Garroth knew they would heal quickly as long as she rested however he wished he wouldn't see her earn them to begin with. She knew right and wrong thankfully and even this time she made sure no one was around to get hurt, so maybe she was listening to him. Still he inherently could never stop his worries for her nor her sister. Even if they were not family by blood their bond was something similar to that and watching her rush into fire he feared one day she would never come out.

Was like hell for him...

     Shaking those dark thoughts off before it showed Garroth brought his arm under the back of her head pulling her closer to him chest. Resting his hand on her back receiving a huff from her but she didn't object to him, he continued scooping under both of her legs holding away from the large injury on her calf. He lifted her along with her as he stood making sure she was stable in his arms before he even moved. Her body language spoke for itself as her shoulders slumped, her head rested against his chestplate as she tries her best to stay awake for as long as she could.

    "From what I'm seeing this is only the aftermath..."He held her as he waited for answer, draping her favorite coat over her like a blanket.

        "...it didn't stand a chance..."Her prideful smile made him lose hope in her, preferring an indifference than her being proud of what transpired here.

       "Alright....let's go home."He walked deeper into the forest using his inner compass rather than asking Estelle, who was battling sleep to tell him.

       It's a mess. He expected for this sight to be the usual occurrence for this home since its inhabitants were not keen on its upkeep. In fact they were home very little and due to work, Estelle patrolled during the day and most of the time she rested at the inn with him when her sister was not home. While Aestraea was away due to her research in fixing the situation with the land's descent into barren earth. Sometimes it felt like this was used as a storage space rather than a place to stay. Tables filled with different kinds of bottles designs, whatever was in them he was not curious. Boxes stacked against the walls with things that they kept away from the public eye,  which he was proud of Estelle could tell even if he didn't say it. Climbing up the stairs he found it strange that a door was open which Estelle and Aestraea had the habit of closing when they left anywhere. Lying her on her bed he decided against doing anything more than removing her shoes as Estelle would surely complain the moment she was lucid. Laying the thrown blanket over her body he fixed the pillow under her

        "...someone's here"She whispered in her haze, her hand grabbing onto his cape as if to prevent him from leaving him just yet.

     Footsteps slowly made their way closer to the doorway, his senses aware that they were no longer alone. Estelle, as outgoing as she seemed, rarely had guests over at her sister's request. And Aestraea disliked noisy company especially if they could not keep their hands off what did not belong to them. Who was the older of two of them really...He watched as a feminine figure peaking in the doorway to the stairs Her raven hair fell to below her waist, there was something about her, although messy appearance special. She felt otherworldly like she did not come from the same world he did. Luckily he still had his helm or he'd be less inclined to handle this situation.

    "Can I help you ma'am?"He offered even if he was still wary of her presence in a home that had been hidden from normal view.

      "...a man had left me here."She spoke a lot more clearly than he had expected, showing the loose bandages on her, revealing markings but not scars.

    "Do you remember who exactly, any description would help identify you."Garroth was sure he could guess even from faint details

       Although she showed no hostility, the fact that she was a witness to Estelle's reckless behavior he felt uncomfortable without apologizing for her behavior. Pushing back his embarrassment from when she first appeared Estelle still made trouble for him. Despite not even being conscious at this very moment.

     "A male. His tone was very arrogant maybe he was of high status?"From her expression she did not appear to be lying and she was also taken back by his query, like she did not expect him to ask such things.

      "I'm aware...this woman is the owner of this place, she should wake up soon."Garroth tucked Estelle's arm back under the blanket so that she would not lose anymore of her body heat.

    "...will she be alright?"

     "She'll be just fine, she's...tougher than she looks."He took Estelle's own words as reference as he made his way over to the strange guest, careful not to spook her."We should leave her to rest, let's talk more outside"

      Though he had his suspicions about this woman as long as she did not pose any harm to Estelle he had to respect her if she was just a wanderer that just happened to be in the wrong place and the wrong time. She quickly agreed to his statement following him down the stairs only glancing back at the door ever so often.

     "...yes I surely hope so..."Her eyes fall to the floor, her expression unreadable to him as he could not see it fully.

      "...Garroth be careful."

— — — —

    His breathing was ragged as he tried to balance himself against the wall, he cared not for the strange looks he received from the guards. He was to reach his chambers before he collapsed to the floor. What began as a simple "check-in" turned to a near life or death situation, Zenix told Gene to be careful with that mutation. Even if it could not kill him, it would pit him in a even more precarious situation. Now that he was sure Estelle had not perished during that battle between her and that beast, he felt like one wrong move and he would have switched places with it.

       If not for those dammed bandits he wouldn't even he in this situation, not that he had regretted tearing them apart. They deserved it. A "monster" they called him, a hypocrite even for disguising into that small village like they could even fathom  the sheer horror that place put him through.

His eyes followed her warily, there was something so off about how calm she was being despite what she had seen. How long had she been watching him, was it during his work if ripping them to shreds or was it before when they had mocked him. He'd hardly wants to hear and self righteous talk from her of all people.

Move NOW.

Despite his lord's warning, he could not get away fast enough...strangely he didn't feel the need to. Without her sword Estelle looked inviting like she was offering a solution to his pain. Though he had ached for the voice to guide him again, weeks without it was torture and the call of return only beat at his mentally. Though he showed loyalty and reverence to his lord, he was met with nothing but whispers of empty promises of power.

"Zenix..."Her steps toward him were slow in ever movement she approached him like a deer would a frozen lake.

Heh...what if she was the key?

"Don't play games, what do you want?"He grew curious, these strange thoughts invading his mind no matter if he pushed them away. She was defying every expectation he had her during this meeting, what other kind of surprise could she have. Though her face did not show it, he could tell she was smil—no laughing at him on the inside. Mocking his aim for denying his suffering even after he had fell to his nature only moments ago, even as he was surely sweating he cold feel his blood run cold under his armor.

When their eyes met, he was inable to look away from the mesmerizing green cold fingertips held the sides of his head preventing him. It reminded him of a lush forest that he hadn't even seen before, hell he could feel the soft grass beneath his fingertips. The fresh breeze from the east softly brushing against his back, contrasting with the suns rays shining down on him from above. Even grasp at it in fingertips before the grass crawled up his legs. He tried to rip at it prevent it from engulfing him but it would grow faster and more if it accumulated all over his body. Zenix could hardly tell which part of it was him or green meadows, in all of his panic Estelle stood there just arms length away her hands hidden behind her back and for a moment she was smiling at him, soon his vision blurred land even her silhouette started to look hazy. Becoming one with the peaceful atmosphere the last question on his mind persists how peaceful can a place like this be?

Before it became more and more like a haunting dream?

"Zenix...remember who you are...a guard...never forget that."Although he was less than a foot away from him, she felt miles away right now.

He couldn't feel any pain, nor did the call or return plague his existence like a doomsday clock remind him of work in the morning. In fact he could not feel anything other than the soft humming in his ears. Whispering sweet promises that he had to follow, bewitching him to forget...what was he supposed to remember again? He didn't care as the warmth permeates through his close surging through his veins like water gently clearing out his system. Starting from his forehead moving in waves throughout his entire being, he opened his mouth but not a single sound would come out. Tears falling out of his eyes  but why ever would he feel the need to cry?

THWACK!

"What the fuck!"

A harsh pain shot through his head, forcefully shoving back into reality without any kind of warning to prepare him. He couldn't care to stop his language rather his confusion of his situation overpowers his caution. Did she strike him while he wasn't paying attention? Where was he exactly and when was he covered in blood? Looked up at her with a mix of confusion and anger as she was the answer to the strange pain in his head and possibly the rest of his body. It was just like Estelle to stand up and pretend she could do no wrong that innocent smile on her face and all—wait when was she this close to him? Even in an injured state there was no way she could get that close without him noticing. Something was amiss. He just sat there wondering how she was still intact, that thump to his head was definitely not the end to it. Right? Surely she would take the chance when he was rendered helpless and within rage for her blade. Speaking of which she kept that blade at her side no matter the occasion but why was it on the ground?

"Clean yourself up, you smell like a rotting corpse."

•••

    In that moment he had forgotten the incident that had sprites that whatever Estelle had done after they separated that night it came back to him. With Gene's persistence and even the training with Garroth he was in a crumbling house that spelled how long he would be stuck in the waste of a plot space. He was sure in due time Garroth would visit and let him know he was no longer welcome...that or he would come to kill Zenix himself. Yet an eerie peace followed. The next day rolled around and left just as fast with little to no change...at all. Days became weeks and weeks turned into 3 full seasons and no signs of anyone treating him in a specific kind of way. One that would mean his coved was blown and he would have just moments to get out. Nothing gave him any hint that he would have to take action immediately even after he met Estelle alone, she continued to casually poke fun at him which would ensue their usual banter.

Was she truly on his side?

You let her see that side...

     When could he see her true side and witness what did she wanted in return? There was no way she was keeping his secret for nothing, everyone wants something in return and slowly but surely they would show it. Estelle must be the same. She too must want...him. He shook his head at the rapid thought he had made to figure out her deal, quickly. Or else he'd make a fool of himself and his lord by association.

That nymph will use you...

     His Lord was right as the one true ruler his word was law. Holding his head in his hands he leans forward, bracing himself for the incoming price for hearing the Lord of Shadows voice for too long, the overworld laws decreed it. Those who search for the darkness instead of revere and praise the light were cursed. To ache. A pain so excruciating that it threatens to peel away like a mask he was distinguished under and reveal the being that lies beneath. Holding his hands over his ears to shield them from the ringing he was so familiar with.

      "...remember who you are."

      Yet it did not come. Instead a pair of hands rested onto his own, they were translucent, nearly invisible but ever present. Those words felt do clear in the muddled mess of his mind they were like candy to a sweet tooth. It was completely foreign he seemed to forget the pain for a moment, bracing the momentary warmth that the words gave him. The reprieve from his suffering.

       "...Zenix."

       "A guard that's right...."He mumbled under his breath falling back onto his bed covers the warmth remaining near his heart.

     Overpowering it was like a nightmare that he could wake from, the lush meadows that engulfed him, however he had no motive to stop it. He was not afraid of disappearing as he knew it was only for a moment.

And wake in the cold reality soon enough...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how was it? I wanted to try playing around with my writing style, trying my best to expand my world building. :)

Hope you'll stick around for the rest of the updates, I'm doing my best with editing and I know my time management is passable but I'll get them out as soon as I can! (^ω^)

~ Aurora <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 2.9K 36
"They betrayed you," Sasha had said. "They left you for dead." After the tragedy that took place in Lady Irene's dimension, the people of Phoenix Dro...
7.5K 136 14
First story, criticism in most forms is appreciated and heard. I also have a love hate relationship with Grammar, so expect punctuation errors. I apo...
23.7K 926 37
"Who are you?" His eyes widened. "(Y/n)... How could you not remember me?" I was astonished. "W-what do you mean? I don't...
691 20 11
(Y/n), a talented young herbalist, finds herself residing in a small village called Phoenix Drop. After living on the go she finds herself struggling...