Vamp Guards ✔️

By S_Faith

"Who are we? Well for starters, this is my prince, my heart, the love of my undead life." "And this is Kai, m... More

[•••]
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y-O N E
T W E N T Y-T W O
T W E N T Y-T H R E E
T W E N T Y-F O U R
T W E N T Y-F I V E
T W E N T Y-S I X
T W E N T Y-S E V E N
T W E N T Y-E I G H T
T W E N T Y-N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y-O N E
T H I R T Y-T W O
T H I R T Y-T H R E E
T H I R T Y-F O U R
T H I R T Y-F I V E
T H I R T Y-S E V E N
T H I R T Y-E I G H T
T H I R T Y-N I N E
F O R T Y
F O R T Y-O N E
F O R T Y-T W O
F O R T Y-T H R E E
F O R T Y-F O U R
F O R T Y-F I V E
F O R T Y-S I X
F O R T Y-S E V E N
F O R T Y-E I G H T
F O R T Y-N I N E
F I F T Y
F I F T Y-O N E
F I F T Y-T W O
F I F T Y-T H R E E
F I F T Y -F O U R
F I F T Y-F I V E
F I F T Y-S I X
F I F T Y-S E V E N
F I F T Y-E I G H T
F I F T Y-N I N E
S I X T Y
S I X T Y-O N E
S I X T Y-T W O
S I X T Y-T H R E E
S I X T Y-F O U R
S I X T Y-F I V E
S I X T Y-S I X
S I X T Y-S E V E N
S I X T Y-E I G H T
S I X T Y-N I N E
S E V E N T Y
S E V E N T Y-O N E
S E V E N T Y-T W O
S E V E N T Y-T H R E E
S E V E N T Y-F O U R
E P I L O G U E
Fun Facts

T H I R T Y-S I X

3.7K 216 18
By S_Faith

In just three days the prince of Vridora would officially turn sixteen years-old. In many kingdoms like such, sixteen is the age in which the teenager is viewed mature, and should start taking on more adult tasks. They are also allowed to be in contact with the vampire guards their parents own; it's said that their development isn't stable yet until they are sixteen, so someone long ago had settles on that age. That also meant they now had their own authority over the vampires. If their heart desired to, and if a King or Queen approves, they could do anything to the guard. From torture to death. 

It may sound overdramatic, thinking a young teenager could do such an unspeakable thing, but it's a written law, which means there's an origin. And it happens often than most would expect it to.

Despite the exciting date being three days away, preparations were already starting to be made. In their grand dinning room, the King watched as his workers moved things around where he ordered them to go. They brought in furniture and decorations, all colors of black and gold.

While observing their work, he caught sight of his son sitting at a table, his eyes also wandering around. But his face showed gloom and melancholy.

The King smiled at one of the village helpers as he walked past them to get to Iris, who, once he caught sight of him, sat up straight to seem less low-spirited.

"Why the long face, son?' Arlo asked, though he knew the answer. "Your big day is coming up."

Iris returned his cheek against his knuckles and sighed. It was a big day, and he didn't like it.

The coming of age was the third biggest celebration where hundreds gathered. The crowning of a King was the first. Then it was a marriage, whether that be for a King, Queen or their children. For Iris, the local kingdoms were expected to arrive, which were only two, but that included half of their villages, too. Now that was a lot of people.

"I don't see why it has to be so public," Iris muttered when his dad took a seat next to him.

"Well, it's always been like that. Many are coming here for you to celebrate. For you." Arlo thought that if he emphasized exactly why they're having so many guests–which is for him–then maybe he'd have a changed heart.

Iris picked at the ghostly white tablecloth, still keeping a foul expression on his face, "I don't want a party."

"Well we're having one. And you're going to enjoy it."

"Yeah, right."

"Maybe instead of moping around you can pick out an outfit Allison has chosen for you."

"I'll just wear the first thing she suggests."

Arlo shook his head, again bringing up their visitors, "Two other kingdoms aren't coming over to see you wearing low effort."

"Not my fault."

"You need be a little more considerate, Iris," Arlo turned to face his son better, now a lecturing tone in his voice, "A lot of people are coming here for you, some further than our neighboring kingdoms."

"Considerate," Iris shot his dad a look, not a glare, but it was close to one, "You should be considerate of how I feel. I don't care about being recognized as an adult. And you're a King, you shouldn't have to follow an old stupid law anyway." While he bursted in a hushed angry fit, he stood up from his chair and curled his fingers in the tablecloth. "I don't care what you say, I'm not pretending to love your precious party." With a stern declare in his voice, he pushed himself away from the table and started marching towards the nearest exit.

Arlo sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Not only did Iris perform and unnecessary temper, which made him feel bad, his lack of cooperation put Arlo a step backward from finalizing the party. It was expected to be grand and impressing and big, and there was still so much to do. With another sigh, Arlo looked around the elegant ball room filled with moving equipment and pondered.

But he got nowhere because his own thoughts didn't want to cooperate as well, so he got up, and decided to help out himself.

††

"What about this one? I like this one." Allison held up a black shirt with gold buttons stitched down from the collar. It would be accompanied with a lighter shade of black coat, which she also held up.

Iris tapped his finger on his desk, his cheek was engulfed in his palm and his expression was screaming boredom. He shrugged and Allison sighed.

"You should try it on."

"Allison, the party isn't for another three days, I don't think it's necessary to decide so soon."

"Sooner is better than procrastinating until the last minute. Now, try these on."

Iris closed his eyes to roll them but he stood up from his chair and sulked over to her. He snatched the well sewed clothes from her and headed into his bathroom.

A few minutes of waiting and the nurse looked towards the door when it reopened. She covered her mouth when a gasp escaped.

"Yes!" She exclaimed and rushed up to Iris. "You look splendid, Iris! Oh it looks so good on you."

The prince frowned down at the rather fancy but comfortable clothes. They fit snug, but for all the right reasons.

He glanced over here shoulder at his mirror. "You think?"

"Oh a thousand times yes! You look very handsome."

Iris spared a gentle smile towards her,  but he was only thankful for her happiness, nothing more.

"It's a bit much though, isn't it?"

"No. It's perfect. It's eye-catching yet casual, yet professional, and–"

"Okay," Iris chuckled, "I get it." He examined himself in the mirror, and dare he admit he did look quite becoming. He didn't like it. But he did.

"I know you're nervous," Allison came up behind him and rested her hands on his shoulders, peering at his reflection with a smile, "But you'll get through it. Don't think about how many people are there, just focus on their pride, for you're one step closer to being an even bigger influence on them. They're excited, don't let that go to waste, let it excite you in return."

Iris exhaled and brushed down his coat, "I don't mind the big crowd, I just don't think I could handle the attention. What if I freak out?"

"Then you freak out," Allison turned Iris and patted his cheek, "It's okay to freak out. If you ever find yourself escaping the attention, go to the gardens, I'll find you and the only eyes you'll be under will be mine." Allison, regardless of knowing Iris for a limited amount of time, knew even if he claimed he wanted nothing more than to be alone when he was frustrated, he actually wanted someone there for him. With him. She'd gladly be that person.

Iris gazed down at his nurse with a surprised expression. He smiled after processing her care, and laid his hands over hers.

"Thank you, Allison. That means a lot."

His nurse gleamed and dragged her hands down to fix his collar. "You're going to do great things, my prince. I have never been so proud. Even though you made my job a scant living hell."

Iris chuckled and turned back around to study himself. "I'll apologize for being such a pain at some point on Saturday."

"Why not today?"

"Why apologize for something I'm going to keep doing?" He grinned over his shoulder and Allison scoffed, smacking his shoulder playfully.

††

Even the lowest grade of villagers were invited to the party, which did not fail to impress. It was imposing, definitely grand and significant. The guests gawked at the kingdom's effort, saying things from 'magnificent' to 'ravishing'.

In the ball room, decorated in the kingdom's colors, music played off to the side. The strums of the instruments drifted through the crowds like perfume plenty heavily wore. The musicians were in perfect sync like the dancing legs on the floor, clicking heels and tapping dress shoes. Beyond the excitement opened a curtain for even more. Laughter and chatting lips filled the ball room, their bliss gleaming like the gems on women's jewelry that sparkled once the light struck it.

It was a sound of a good time, but the second the King stepped onto the stage they set up, which had three replicate thrones on top, the voices died to a respecting quietness.

"I thank all who are foreign and traveled fine lengths to support the very reason for your arrival. I thank those who have helped, and who are still helping. Long past since we were all here, a special law was committed and has been celebrated ever since. I am honored to be apart of the tradition, and to celebrate it with my very own child. I thank you for honoring with me, my son, Iris Dion, Prince of Vridora.."

Like pigeons when a piece of bread is thrown at them, the guests immediately started clapping and cheering.

"Just breath. Last a good few hours, okay?" Allison pepped talked Iris before he was presented to easily five hundred people. He exhaled quickly before nodding along with her. He cupped he hands before she slipped away and smiled at her.

"I appreciate everything you've done, Allison. I would appreciate it more if you continued to stick around."

Words could not explain how meaningful that meant to the nurse. She couldn't express much, anyway, since Iris had to leave seconds later. She put a hand over her heart and chuckled.

Iris never thought turning sixteen was a big deal. It was just another date and another age, but tonight, oh tonight, that whole belief was quickly altered.

Walking next to his dad, the King, Iris knew for a fact that every pair of eyes were on him and for once not on the King. He didn't know if he liked it or not, if their smiles brought him excitement or anxiety. In the heat of the moment, he just couldn't decipher his emotions.

Once he bowed, the beautiful chaos in the form of proud civilians was unleashed.

Iris paced to his own throne besides his dad and his mother's. Amelia smiled at him but not even the most spotless makeup could distract him from the dismissive element in her eyes. Maybe to her he was only turning sixteen, and it was no big deal.

After the noise of the party eventually became neutralized, the band started to scatter from the ball room to share their melodies else where. From there on, people started coming up to Iris to pay their respects. Trying to follow Allison's words was hard. Their excitement was very much overwhelming. However, once familiar faces began walking up to him, his tense shoulders loosened.

"Iris!" A boy walked up to the prince with his arms out ready for a hug. Iris chuckled and stood up, meeting him with embracing arms.

"I'm glad you came, Cedric."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"Me, either!"

The two princes watched as a girl who looked identical to Cedric rush up to Iris.

"We're finally the same age," She chuckles while they separate from their hug. She winked at him and Iris shook his head.

"Still means nothing."

She deflated and her brother laughed. He mingled with them and Rose, when she arrived, more than the guests that tried to come up and talk. He was calm for a long while, a good while, and he wished it lasted.

He stayed true to his words when he said he wasn't going to pretend to enjoy his party. When the other royal children left, he constantly asked his dad if he could walk out for a minute, the overwhelming sensation in the pit of his stomach was growing intense. He started breathing heavy to calm himself, but it was proving useless.

Iris was okay, he was good, but everything started falling on top of him so abruptly. The constant laughter, the strong cologne scrunching up his nose, the music, the bowing heads, the voices, the damn piercing attention, everything.

He exhaled sharply again before jumping up from his chair. Iris told his dad he was going to the bathroom and he nodded hesitantly.

But in reality Iris was going to do what he was most best at, running away from his responsibilities, and this time he was going to take a literal approach.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 441 29
It was the most fucked up idea. Offering up his self dignity to give pleasure to his one enemy, Kai, just because he was afraid he'd have his ass ki...
554K 24.2K 56
"Where is he?" "What are you talking about son? You have to calm down, you're not thinking straight." "Don't ask me to calm down! He's gone and I kno...
90.9K 4.6K 23
Arthit and Kongpob had been the perfect couple in the eyes of everyone around them including friends and family. People admired them. People were jea...
674K 41.3K 105
The day that Kai learns that he's half-human, half-merman and that he's the key to ending a 100-year-old war, is also the day that the entire ocean l...