Holding Back [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"I love how this book is turning out!๐Ÿ˜ Not cliche at all!" - i_hatecliche "We might live next door to each o... More

Cast List
Worst Author's Note Ever
Chapter 1 - "You want me to give you a lift?"
Chapter 2 - "You're not special."
Chapter 3 - "What's wrong with being alone?"
Chapter 4 - "In case you're wondering, it's for drug running."
Chapter 5 - "No promises."
Chapter 6 - "Did you just say you'll talk to the nail?"
Chapter 7 - "Tempting, but I'll pass."
Chapter 8 - "Why did you come over?"
Chapter 9 - "Ummm...where's dad?"
Chapter 10 - "Cal, ninjas! Hide!"
Chapter 11 - "Can you give me a ride home?"
Chapter 12 - "Now you're the one flirting with me."
Chapter 13 - "Thanks for being my alarm."
Chapter 14 - "You two are great together."
Chapter 15 - "Oh my gosh, who freaking cares?"
Chapter 16 - "We're not dating."
Chapter 17 - "I promise I won't leave."
Chapter 18 - "I see you, Haley Day."
Chapter 19 - "I might have to take you up on that offer sometime."
Chapter 20 - "What can I say I'm full of surprises."
Chapter 21 - "Are you happy, Haley Day?"
Chapter 22 - "What they say isn't true."
Chapter 23 - "Why did you ask me to come over?"
Chapter 24 - "Why were you even drinking?"
Chapter 25 - "No, I'm fine."
Chapter 26 - "I don't want to drown myself in ice cream."
Chapter 27 - "It's a bit of a clichรฉ, right?"
Chapter 28 - "Why didn't you invite me?"
Chapter 29 - "I'm still yours."
Chapter 30 - "You flashed us earlier. I'm guessing that counts."
Chapter 32 - "I think you'd look good in anything."
Chapter 33 - "I knew you only liked me for my body."
Chapter 34 - "I did warn you."
Chapter 35 - "You're still on to man the kissing booth, correct?"
Chapter 36 - "The kissing booth."
Chapter 37 - "Is this where I get a free kiss?"
Chapter 38 - "I don't want to talk."
Chapter 39 - "Why do you care?"
Chapter 40 - "Is there anything I can do?"
Chapter 41 - "Why are you lying?"
Chapter 42 - "We fix Haley Day's broken heart."
Chapter 43 - "There's the Haley Day I know."
My Heart Is Yours
Epilogue
Haley Meets Carter
Six Years Later

Chapter 31 - "Ha! I knew I was your source of happiness."

14.7K 1.3K 1K
By joymoment

A bright, cheery song stirred Haley from her sleep. Frowning, she rolled over and looked at her nightstand. Her phone remained dark. Puzzled and half convinced she was still dreaming, she sat up.

There were no words to the song, only upbeat drums and a piano playing out a melody that seemed to embody happiness. Finally, coming out of her sleepy haze, she realized that the song was playing in Jace's room.

Staggering out of her bed, she grabbed her hacky sack and tossed it at his sleeping form. It bounced off him and he scrunched his face up. He pushed himself up onto his elbows, blinking at Haley. Leaning against her doorframe, she waited, yawning into the back of her hand. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, looking like a little kid with the gesture.

"New alarm clock song?" she asked.

A drowsy smile slid onto his face.

"Yeah, I found it the other day, I figured it was more pleasing than that annoying beeping."

He picked up his phone but didn't turn off the alarm, letting the music play on. He nodded his head in time, the action waking him. When he stood up and started swinging his hips, Haley laughed. He smiled at her. His hair was a tangled mess and he was wearing a tank top and a pair of gym shorts.

"Come on and dance, Haley Day," he said, moving out onto the balcony.

"You know I suck at dancing."

"No one ever truly sucks at dancing, just try. It will help you wake up."

His smile widened, teasing her. Rolling her eyes, she left the comfort of her doorframe and stepped out to the balcony to meet him.

"I don't know what to do," she said, tossing up her hands.

"Follow my lead."

He dipped once and slid to the side. Inwardly groaning, Haley matched his steps, her body uncoordinated and awkward. Jace stopped dancing.

"I take it back a person can truly suck at dancing."

"Jace!"

He burst out laughing and held up his hand, halting Haley from making a retreat.

"Joking, you just need practice. Which we can now do every morning to my alarm."

For a moment, all Haley could do was stare at him. He was grinning and his whole person seemed to be light, though she knew that made no sense.

"How are you always so happy?" she asked. 

Stopping the song, he shrugged and slipped the phone into his pocket, followed by his hands.

"That's a lot to be happy about. I don't understand why the rest of the world is so negative most of the time."

"Maybe in your world, there's a lot to be happy about, but others don't share that."

Jace nodded as if processing what she was saying and finding a different meaning.

"I get that life is hard, believe me, I do know that but..." He ran a hand through his hair, his fingers snagging on a knot. "Learning to find happiness in every day is work but when all is said in done I like my life better when I find it and don't settle for the negative."

Frowning, Haley crossed her arms, struggling to see how any happiness could be found when life was so challenging.

"You're skeptical," Jace said. "I get it, but happiness isn't some far-reaching thing. For insistence, I find happiness in you."

An odd tingling feeling flooded Haley's stomach. As her eyebrows shot up, she pointed to herself. "Me."

"Yeah, I just got to wake up and watch you do a terrible impression of someone trying to dance."

Embarrassed, she scowled at him, but he simply smiled back at her.

"And it's simpler than that," he said. "I woke up and saw a friend. Happiness isn't an elusive idea that can only be reached when you have tons of money or travel all over the place." Jace shrugged like what he was saying was basic fact. "Happiness is whatever you want it to be. My mom finds happiness in writing code."

His lips twisted to the side in confusion.

"That's really strange and bizarre to me but hey, she likes it. I know Josie finds happiness in cat videos though she doesn't own a cat." Something about this made him smile. "Ty is happy when she stares at people and breaks apart their lives. Rachel is happy when she smiles at someone and passes on happiness. Isaac, shocker, is happy when he looks at the stars. These are things easily found every day, you just have to find your own happiness."

Silence passed between them as Haley tried to wrap her head around the simplicity of his words and the weight that they held. For her, happiness had been hanging out with Lettie. When she left it had been like all Haley's happiness had gone with her. Though she felt that, she could see how it wasn't completely true, not since Jace had stepped into her life.

"You're strangely wise, you know that?" she said.

"Yeah, I blame JoJo." He dropped his head back in fake annoyance. "She's constantly trying to improve me by spouting knowledge and advice." He returned his focus to Haley. "I don't know why, I don't need improvement. I mean look at me."

Smirking, he gestured to himself.

"I could see her reasoning," Haley said.

The smirk morphed into a happy grin. He then nodded to her.

"So what makes you happy, Haley Day? Besides my amazing dance moves and killer body, because come on, I'm not a piece of meat, I'm a person with a personality that deserves love like everyone else."

Haley snorted, hearing the echo of Josie's voice as he spoke. Triumphant, he pointed at her.

"Ha! I knew I was your source of happiness. Can't deny it any longer."

"I can and I will, till I die."

He cocked his head. "You're saying you haven't been happy this morning standing out here with me?"

His question brought her up short because she couldn't contradict it. Most mornings were filled with a heavy dread but somehow he had shared his light with her.

"I will neither confirm or deny that statement."

Jace's face softened into a look of affection.

"I knew it. That always means yes." He walked backwards into his room. "Now, I'm going to go get a shower because they make me happy and no, don't think about me." Haley's mouth popped open in surprise. "Again I'm more than my body Haley Day, love me for my mind."

Before he disappeared into his bathroom, she regained herself.

"You're ridiculous," she yelled after him.

"Love you too!" he hollered back.

Grinning and shaking her head, Haley walked back into her room. Despite the silence of the rest of the house, she didn't let her smile slip away, she held onto it, fighting to keep the tiny piece of happiness she had found out on the balcony.

Through getting ready, she replayed Jace's words wondering if it could really be that easy. With what she had been facing the past few months it didn't feel like it was, but part of her still held onto what he said, storing it away.

When she stepped into the kitchen, she found her mother with a phone tucked between her ear and shoulder, pouring herself a cup of coffee. The strong, bitter smell wafted through the room, the hint of vanilla hidden inside it.

"Yes, I will have everything ready," she said. "Is Stan done with his prepare work?"

Quietly, Haley went to the cupboard and pulled out a bowl and box of cereal. When she tipped the box, the shower of cereal plinking against the china brought her mother's attention to her. She smiled at Haley but was stolen away by the voice on the other line. As her mother talked, Haley settled against the counter, eating and remembering the bit of happiness they had found the night before. In the morning light, the moment almost seemed like a distant memory.

As Haley finished up, her father up stuck his head into the archway, already dressed for the office and looking as if his mind was already there.

"Tess," he said. 

His wife twisted to him, one eyebrow raised.

"Tonight?" he asked.

She shook her head, tilting the phone away from her mouth.

"I'm taking Haley dress shop."

The one small sentence brought about Haley's smile. She glanced at her father to see what his reaction was. But he was looking at his watch. He nodded to himself, his brow furrowed as he rearranged things in his mind.

"We'll talk later then."

He rushed off before Haley could greet him or wish him a good day. Though he had been there only a few seconds, she wondered if his hair had gotten grayer and whether those lines around his eyes were deeper than before. Before she could come to a definite conclusion, her mother hung up and turned to Haley.

"Morning," she said, smiling at her over the top of her coffee mug.

"Are we really going dress shopping today? she asked.

"Yes, I got it all worked out. You have your project that runs pretty late. By the time you're done, I'll have finished up with my open house and I can come pick you up. Do you mind waiting for a little? It might not perfectly align."

Haley shook her head, feeling a bubble of excitement.

"I don't mind waiting and you're sure today is a good time? Prom is in two weeks, we can always do it later."

Though she offered, Haley didn't want her mother to accept the postponement, almost afraid that this one thing might disappear if it was delayed. It had been months since she had really done anything with her mother and the promise of that afternoon felt delicate, like a single wrong word or phone call could make it slip and shatter.

"Today is perfect." Haley let out a silent breath of relief. "I'll text you when I'm leaving. If we go late then we can also stop somewhere for dinner, make it a girl's night."

Her mother beamed at her and Haley felt herself brightening with the idea. She nodded, accepting this and pushing away the fear that something might come and snatch it away.

"Sounds good," she said.

Her mother's phone rang. Before she answered, she offered Haley a quick smile and left the kitchen. Haley was still in her bubble of apprehensive happiness when Matt walked in. He looked ragged around the edges, his hair not at neat as usual and his shirt a bit wrinkled. Without a word, he filled a thermos of coffee.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Do you want to get something to eat?"

He shook his head and took a drink, the black coffee dashing away the haze in his eyes.

"Let's go then."

They left the kitchen and headed for the front door, Haley scooping up her backpack as they passed the stairs. The day was cool with puffy white clouds breaking up the sun's light as they drifted through the blue ocean sky. Haley climbed into the truck, the soft vibration of the engine rumbling beneath her. As they left the confines of the neighborhood, she glanced at Matt. Though he was focused on the road, his eyes seemed distant.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

At her voice, he roused himself from his thoughts and nodded.

"Yeah, it's been a lot of late nights closing up the cafe. I'm just tired."

"Can you work fewer shifts? I know that working a job was good for your college application but you're in, you don't have to stress so hard now."

Matt nodded but it felt as if he were simply agreeing with her to avoid arguing.

"Matt?" she asked, frowning.

Eyes still pinned on the road, he shrugged.

"Every piece helps, you know."

Her frowned deepened with confusion. "Since when? Mom and dad have good jobs, I thought you stuck with it because you liked having your own money, not because we need it." Haley paused as a thought hit her. "Do we need it?"

Shaking his head, Matt smiled over at her, the look carefree and encouraging.

"Nah, I just want some cash to have for college." He tapped her arm with the back of his hand, his silent, thoughtful mood gone. "What were you and mom talking about? I heard something about a dress."

Not sure whether he was trying to distract her or not, she answered.

"She's taking me dress shopping, so I have something for Prom."

Matt's face brightened, his gaze darting to her. "You decided to go."

"Yeah, I figured why not."

"I'm glad." He smiled at her again. "You know what they say prom is the best night of your life."

Haley held in a laugh, imagining Ty rolling her eyes at the statement. "You know I have heard that."

**********************************************************************

Привет, Dori!
(Russian)

A lot of developments with the family, what art thou thoughts? 👉🕳👈

I don't know about you, but I think Jace has a point. Even in rough times I think happiness can still be found. It might be hard but I still believe it's possible. What's your opinion about it?

Now, I need a moment.

*comes and sits down beside you* Look, I know that I'm an odd duck and sometimes you think I'm quack, but I hope you know that you mean a lot to me. Though it might be a small thing to you, you've had a huge impact on my small life. You are a source of happiness to me. So thank you for your support and love.

I hope you can know that no matter what happens in your life, you can know with complete certainty that you've changed someone else's for the better. Thank you.

*sniffs and wipes eyes*

Okay, enough of the gushy stuff let's move on to what really matters. A hot guy!

Also if you want to vote, comment, follow well then this odd duck won't stop you.

This is the song Jace was listening to. This also happens to be one of my favorite songs cause it's so cheery!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 21.9K 52
Guardians of Freecaster High #1 "That doesn't make any sense. You were the one who left me. You didn't care anymore." "If I didn't care, Alexis, then...
91.8K 4.6K 57
Have you ever wondered what more you could be missing when you have everything? Well, Michelle Reynold who is 17, a senior, blond and beautiful, have...
89K 2.2K 53
"๐ˆ ๐๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐๐จ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฅ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง๐ฌ๐ก๐ข๐ฉ๐ฌ. ๐„๐ข๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐œ๐œ๐ž๐ฉ๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐จ๐ซ ๐ ๐ž๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ก๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ." - "๐ˆ'...
1.3M 32.6K 55
"Go, I don't want to make you hate me for what I did." he says softly as a tear of drop dipped from his eyes. "What are you talking about?" I approac...