Rafael

By el-writes

You and Rafael Casal have been best friends for years. Will everything stay the same when you reunite with hi... More

Homecoming
IHop Adventures
Things Were Normal Until...
Aftermath
Back to the Ballet
Prince(ess)
Val
Reunited
Working Things Out
A Long Road
Stripped
Where Do Broken Hearts Go?
Koxaha, His Love
Oftentimes a Rough Return
Long Way Down
Bed Ridden
Recovery
Missteps Destroy a Tango
Guilt Lasts Overnight
Reconnection
In His Arms
Dancing in Circles
Lost
Temporary Fix
What Is and What Could've Been

Spinning, Spinning, Spiral?

141 4 16
By el-writes

Rafael's POV

  Rafael drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as he drove around North Carolina. He was blaring E-40 in an attempt to keep his mind from racing but so far, he was failing. He shouldn't be so angry, he knew that. But this had been brewing for months and it just wouldn't stay pushed down any longer.

  He had always been jealous of Val but wasn't ever sure as to why. He had no reason to feel less than but somehow, he had slithered into your life and made him feel insignificant in it.

  Daveed's name lights up his phone screen as a call comes through. He glances down before picking up the phone and pressing for speaker.

  "Hey, man! Did she like your surprise?"

  He sighs and runs a hand through his hair, rolling to a stop for a red light. "She did until we got in a fight."

"Y'all got in a fight?" The man on the other end asks, surprised. "'Bout what?"

The red light switches to green and Rafa presses on the gas to accelerate before answering, "She got some big offer from a ballet company and didn't tell me about it."

"But was she going to? How'd you find out?"

"I guess, after she told Val first, of course. I saw it from like a fan-page for her or something."

"Damn. He knew before she even told you?"

"Yeah." He replies quietly as he turns onto a random cross street.

"Well, what're you doing now?"

"Driving around until I can go to the airport."

"Do you even know where you're going?"

A somewhat bitter laugh escapes his lips when he replies, "Not in the slightest."

Daveed gives a small chuckle in return but his voice is solemn when he speaks next. "But seriously, you jus' left and y'all didn't say goodbye?"

"It was as close as what we were gonna get. I just need to get back to Cali and think about some other shit for a while."

  "I can make that happen but Rafa, I really think you should go back to her and smooth it over until it can be addressed when the tour is over."

  "It was what it was. We gotta leave it at that."

  Daveed clears his throat and lets a moment pass before speaking up. "Alright, I guess. I'll see you when your flight comes in. Still need a ride back or are you catchin' an Uber?"

  "Whatever's easiest," He replies and his best friend can sense what he needs, even if it goes unspoken.

  "I'll be there."

                                     ••••

Y/N's POV

"It'd be an incredible opportunity, love." Val spoke gently now as the two of you conversed over coffee. You had told him of your fight with Rafael and he'd offered to let you talk about it but you denied. It just stung a little too much right now.

"I know." You respond after a moment, looking back up to meet his gaze. "But New York..."

"You still have your place over there and it's not like you don't know the city," He points out before sliding over your half of the donut. It was a compromise the two of you had made for you to eat this morning. His fingers brush yours and he uses the moment to take your hand into his own. "It was your dream not too long ago, yeah?"

Your breath hitches in your throat at the contact but you allow for him to hold your hand. If anything, it's keeping you grounded right now. "It was. But I don't even know if I'm that person anymore, V."

  "Did they say when they needed your decision by? Is it soon?"

  "No, they just said for me to let them know when I knew and that I had some time. The position is open for me after the tour is over."

"Well our last show for this leg is tomorrow. We get on the bus tonight around 10."

  Your heart dropped in your chest as you thought back to earlier this morning. You had made a mistake with Rafael and now he was to leave a little later than you tonight. Thinking of this, you force yourself to push down your emotions.

  "Y/N?" Val tries to get your attention now quietly.

  Hearing his voice say your name snaps you out of your thoughts for a moment enough to reply, "Yeah, yeah. Sorry. I got a little lost in thought."

  "I know," He responds and squeezes your hand a little. Silence falls between the two of you until he is able to speak again. "He's going to be waiting for you when we get back. You don't have to worry about that."

"I know, I just hope I'm able to find my way back." You feel tears begin to sting the corners of your eyes just as one rushes down your cheek. He quickly leans across the table to wipe it away with his thumb.

  Val presses a kiss to the top of your head before whispering, "You will, I'm pretty sure of it."

  You nod and thank him as he settles back into his chair. "We were supposed to spend the day together...what do I do now?"

  "Well what do you wanna do at this very second?"

  "Finish my coffee," You joke in reply.

  "Fair enough. What about after?"

  "Maybe just go watch Netflix or something."

  "Go for it. Seems like a good way to waste some time, honestly."

  A smile makes its way to your features as agree with him. "You're a genius!" You finish your coffee now and Val stands to clear off the table.

"I'll walk you back up?" He asks as he tucks the chair back underneath it's place at the table and you do the same.

"Yeah, thanks," You begin to walk toward the elevators and he keeps a protective hand near your lower back but doesn't dare make contact.

His presence always seemed to bring you comfort when Rafael was not around. Public situations of any kind made you anxious and they both knew this and tried to protect you fiercely.

Once up to your room, he kisses you on the top of the head. "If you need anything, just text or call me. Okay?"

  You lean into him a bit and he pulls you into a big hug. "You got this, kid, " He mumbles in your hair and you nod against him slowly.

  "Do you need anything right now or are you good to go?"

  You both have gotten out of the embrace and he's looking down at you with a gentle expression.

  "Can you uh, can you just come hang out with me? It sounds stupid but I've felt alone this whole tour and even more so now. Ya know?"

  Val gives a small smile and nods. "I know what you mean, I'd love to. C'mon."

  You slide your key card in and the door unlocks, allowing you to open it and walk inside. He heads for the couch as you kick off your shoes before joining him.

  "What're we watching today?" He turns to face you with a knowing grin; he knew of your borderline crazy ability to binge shows in record time.

  "Hmmm," You tap your chin lightly, as if to think, before lighting up with excitement. "Game of Thrones!"

  V chuckles as he turns the TV screen to HBO and selects your current episode. It doesn't take long for the two of you to get halfway through the new season.

  He convinces you that it can all be watched before you have to board the bus, thus initiating a challenge. You guarantee that he will fall asleep before it's over but he vehemently disagrees.

  Time flies by and Postmates is delivered a few hours into the binge, allowing for you both to eat dinner and continue watching.

  You swirl your wine around in its glass as he sips whiskey from the in-room minibar. Neither of you would admit that you were becoming more and more tired with each episode. But honestly, it was quite amusing.

  He gets up and goes to the bathroom while you finish your glass. It's long forgotten on the coffee table, along with all of the empty takeout boxes that had accumulated. Val comes back and gives a small laugh at the damage you had done once viewing it from a different angle.

  Val smiles as collects all of the trash and promptly puts it into the garbage before joining you once more. He sinks into the cushions and rests an arm on the back of the couch. You glance at him sleepily as another episode begins and the two of you break out into a laugh.

  "We can't finish this before 10."

  "We totally can," He protests, words thick with exhaustion and tinged with the whiskey.

  "Whatever you say," You respond as you curl your legs up onto the soft cushion.

  Halfway through the episode, your heavy eyelids close for their final time as you descent into a deep sleep. Val's soft snores had gone unnoticed a bit before you succumbed to dreaming and his arm had wrapped protectively around your frame as he shifted.

                                     ••••

  Knocks sounded at the hotel door and Val begrudgingly awoke to yell at whoever was interrupting his sleep. His concern was not on what time it was and this was evident the second he opened the door to Artem.

  "We have to get on the bus, V! We're gonna run late if we don't."

  Val is awake now as he stumbles back into the room, mumbling, "Oh shit, oh shit," as he goes about picking up your bags.

  "Your stuff is already on the bus. Is she okay?" He asks Val now, realizing you were sprawled out on the couch and clutching a pillow.

  "Just exhausted. You take her bags to the bus and I'll get her. Okay?"

  Artem nodded and took your bags from the other man's hand. He closes the door with his foot before he leaves.

   Val runs a hand through his now messy curls and takes a few deep breaths after being woken up so startlingly. He crouches down to meet your face, peaceful in sleep and very contrasting to how things have been for you lately.

  "Y/N, we gotta go, love. We have to get on the bus," He whispers to you in hopes of waking you up. "C'mon, you gotta wake up, babe."

  Your eyes flutter open at his blurry figure and it's almost as if you're in a daze when you reach out to cup his face in your somewhat unsteady hand. A lazy smile spreads across your lips when your skin meets his, his cheek having a few days' stubble covering it.

  "Hey, it's okay. I'm right here but we gotta get on the bus. Alright?"

  You shake your head and he sighs.

  "I'm gonna pick you up then. Is that okay?"

  A shrug of your shoulders translated to yes in all other situations so he takes it and stands to his full height before bending to wrap his arms carefully around you. He scoops you up into a bridal hold and you wrap your arms haphazardly around his neck.

  He closes the door behind him as the two of you walk to the elevators. On the quiet ride down, you rest your face against his chest and try to concentrate on his heartbeat. Everything seemed blurry in your sleepy state and you were having trouble focusing.

  "I got you," Val promises easily.

  Your lips ghost over where his heart is beating and you keep them there for a moment, eyes closed before the ding of the elevator causes you both to jump slightly at the sound.

  The darkness washes over you as he carries you to the awaiting bus. Once on, he carefully lays you into one of the bunk beds. You reach out almost instantly at the loss of touch and in your haze, he becomes Rafael.

  He takes your hand in concern and whispers, "It's okay. You can go back to sleep now."

  "I lo-," You begin in a raspy whisper. The words are cut off in your throat just as fast and you blink a few times, trying to bring yourself back to reality. "Thank you."

  His face falls and with it, so does your heart. Val gives a small nod and a halfhearted smile before sliding the privacy cover to close your bunk off to complete darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 51 7
(Not reread to have errors fixed yet) Have you ever wondered what would happen if Yuma grew too old and had to leave Astral's side. How's can a human...
3.4K 258 15
Two best friends who lived opposite lives. Him being the son of a MC member and her being her family's pride and joy. They never had the chance to sa...
4.3K 55 19
***Sequel to All I Ask.**** In the 8 years that have passed, how have Justin and Cassandra changed? Can the relationship still thrive through the mos...
427 39 23
Me and my best friend have been friends since forever, but what happens after me and my best friend get separated after college. I moved to Californ...